Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

You are My Universe (MysteriousD/DaddysLittleSkank)

"I was thinking maybe head over to the beach house. I don't think Lapis or Peridot has seen a baby so I was hoping they'd think Mason was interesting and maybe playing with them will get his lazy butt walking." Rai sighed. "He is so much like his daddy, Dennis didn't walk until Alice started walking so if we can get him before he's a year and a half that'll be an improvement."

Pearl walked over. "Uh, no. I was asking Diego out on a date."

Rai gasped, "Oh my goodness, you have to let me do a makeover! And I have no idea Steven, Alice And Lars are dating again and you know well that goes. I honestly haven't seen her in days." That was the routine for the two they'd be dating and completely smitten spending all their possible time together, then break up over something stupid, go a few weeks hating eachother, and then start the whole process all over again.

"That can not be healthy." Pearl said.

"Nope," Rai sighed, "they're both just too stubborn to admit it."

"Yea, they would like that. THough we have to be careful snce they may not know how to handle a baby," Steven noted. While Lapis and Peridot did integrate better into human society over time, they still weren't as apt as the Crystal Gems were. THey were trying though. "Well, it wouldn't hurt to try though," Greg pointed out before he waved at Pearl for them to see.

Greg and Steven both looked absolutely surprised by the fact that Pearl, yes Pearl, asked a human out on a date. Now, Pearl had been warming up more and more to humanity as Steven and Greg to attest andshe was slowly moving on from Rose, but this was quite a surprise to say the least.

"Oh Wow, Pearl! That's amazing! I mean, this so cool," Steven said so excitedly over the revelation of what Pearl was doing. "Wow Pearl, that's incredible," Greg congratulated her before he noticed a certain look. "Hey, I'll be right back, I gotta talk to Pearl about something," he said before he went off around the corner, leading Pearl. "Look, I'm happy for you about this, but I'm guessing you're alot more nervous about this than you're letting on," he said. Given their connection to Rose and just how Pearl would end up spending time with Greg whenever Amythest was by herself or with Vidalia while Garnet, was well Garnet and Steven was out on his own, he came to view her as a sister and he knew well enough regarding insecurities.

"Okay, were probably gonna head out then." Rai said as she cleaned up the small mess that she'd made. "See you the beach house Pearl." The two exchanged waves before Rai unlatched the brakes on Mason's stroller and began walking towards the beach house.

Pearl sighed, "I am beyond nervous. We're going to see a movie tomorrow."

"See you back at the house, Pearl!" Steven said to her before he was walking alongside Rai to the barn where Peridot and Lapis made their home. His hand subconsciously went to hold hers and he looked at her with a smile. "What would be some other things you would wanna do besides being a police officer?" Steven asked her while holding her hand and walking to the farm.

"I know its hard, Pearl, epsecially for you. It's why I supported your decisions with all this," Greg began as he gave Pearl a comforting smile. "We all want you to be happy and do what you need to achieve that. I don't know how far you want to go with this potential relationship, but you know we're all here for you," Greg told her comfortingly.

"I do run a youtube channel with the other quints, so I guess I'd just keep doing that until I figure something else out." Rai smiled back at Steven. "It's pretty cool and we're decently popular but it's not gonna stay that way forever."

"I know." Pearl sighed. "Normally I go into everything with a plan but I don't really have one for this sort of thing."

"Well, sometimes you could find something that you didn't know that you would like," Steven told her with a smile as he began thinking more about what she could do. "Well, what would be some stuff you'd like to do?" Steven asked her with a smile.

"You can't always plan for everything, Pearl," Greg told her. "But, you always been good at executing plans. So just find out what is it you want and you go and do what you gotta do," he told her in a comforting big-brother sort of way.

"I'll figure it out, Steven." She told him reassuringly. "And again I have a couple years."

"I know." Pearl sighed. "Having a plan just helps me feel like I have control."

"That's true, though we all just wanna help you," Steven told Rai with a smile before they arrived at the barn that Lapis and Peridot called home. Both have gotten more used to earth customs and affairs. "Hi Lapis! Hi Peridot! How are the both of you doing?" he said as he opened the barn door for Rai and the baby.

"Well, then just make a bunch of small flexible plans and those could be your stepping stones," Greg helpfully suggested to Pearl. "You can do it, Pearl. That's the beautiful thing here on Earth. You can be whomever you wanted to be. Rose understood that better than alot of us did," he added with a melancholic smile.

"I know, but it's something I gotta figure out for myself." She said kissing him on the cheek. "We brought someone new for you to meet!" She walked in pushing the stroller.

"I never thought of it like that." Pearl said rubbing her chin, "it does make sense though." She was never good with emotions so she just patted Greg on the back.

"What is this?" Peridot said as she went over to look at the baby with Lapis also going forward to examine. "It's a baby. It's how all humans start out when they're born," Steven explained. He knew the Gems sometimes had trouble udnerstanding this, namely becuase they were born from the ground with a purpose and fully-formed. Granted, the Crystal Gems have been able to grasp and understand this better over time though Steven still knew that Lapis and Peridot sometimes had trouble regarding this.

"Even I was a baby once," Steven reminded them.

Greg just looked at Pearl with a smile. He knew that Pearl still often had trouble communicating her emotions. "If you ever need a hug Pearl, it's all right," he reassured his friend.

"Well Mason is a year old so he's grown a bit." Rai said,"he's my brother's kid."

Mason looked at the two new gems with a serious look before smiling and laughing while kicking and waving his arms.

Rai went around the stroller, unbuckling his seat belt and pulling him out. "I think he likes you guys." She placed him on his feet and only took him a second to plop back onto his butt.

Pearl retracted her hand and simply said, "No, No I'm fine."

"Be careful. Babies are fragile," Steven told the two gems as he saw Rai go and unbuckle Mason. "So... no real knowledge? No skills? Nothing? Just blank..." Peridot said as she squatted to see the baby Mason. It reminded her of her creations, of what humans called artwork. How there was a blank surface, and yet Peridot saw the potential to make whatever she want. Here, humanity was the same. Born without purpose yet free to do what they want to do.

"I guess its amazing how someone so small could become a whole different person," Lapis said as she looked down on the baby as well.

Greg just chuckled. "Well, you know we're all here for you," Greg told her with a smile. "What would be the ideal end goal for you though?" he asked her.

"Nope, he can't walk or even use the toilet." Rai smiled. "He can, however, take people's glasses, pull hair, put most things he finds in his mouth, and make his mom worry because he's not walking."

"What are the normal goals for a romantic relationship?" Pearl asked.

"Well, Gems don't display that sort of behavior when they fist appear. At least, not that I am aware of," Peridot began saying before she thought back on how Amethyst was apaprently, a bit more immature back when the Gems first met Greg, at least that was how Pearl said it.

"Is it uncommon for human babies to not walk?" Lapis asked as she placed her hand on Mason's head.

"Well, that all depends on the pace. But ti's about trust, compassion and communication. You have to trust one another, spend time and learn one another. I mean, Ruby and Sapphire became Garnet while with Rose and I... well, it ended with Steven," Greg explained to her though he didn't know how Pearl wound handle sex, if she ever got to that point.

Rai laughed, "Its not just common, it's a given. Babies don't start walking until their a year old but it's not unheard of for a baby start walking at 9 months or even a year and a half. Dennis didn't start walking until he was a year and a half and he only started walking because Alice did and he couldn't keep up while crawling. Adrien was eleven months, Eridan was two days later, Andrei was on our first birthday, Darien was a week after our birthday, and I was nearly two but that's because I was so underdeveloped and small when I was born that I was developmentally delayed."

"Was it hard... trying to relate to Rose?" Pearl asked. "With her being a gem and you being human."

"I suppose lte development is something to be cautious," Peridot mentioned as she kept looking at the baby with fascination and interest. "I didn't know that. I dont think there's been instances of Gems having popped up... incomplete. I mean, there are those who stood in the ground too long, but I suppose as long as they survive they can endure," she added,

"Can... Can I pick him up?" Lapis asked as she looked at Mason.

"Well, fusion was hard, but life is life. We both feel, we both lvoe. We all feel happiness and sadness. We may not always understand one another, but we have to try and not give up," Greg advised her with a smile.

Rai picked Mason up and handed him to Lapis. "Keep one arm under his butt and the other hand on his back." Mason looked up at her and reached for her hair. "Mason, no! That's not nice." Rai grabbed his hand, "you do not grab people's hair." He shot his aunt a glare. "Did you learn that from Aunt Alice? Hmm?" Rai tickled him causing him to laugh and bury his face into the crook of Lapis' neck. "Now you're in a better mood and without pulling hair."

"Thanks." Pearl said smiling.

Lapis gingerly picked up the baby, listening to what Rai was saying. She smiled akwardly and even giggled when Mason tried to tug her hair. Her smile did become genuine when the baby laughed and buried his face in the crook of her neck. "Humans are so different, but it isn't a bad thing," Lapis noted as Peridot went over to check, keeping her eyes.

"Yeah, but we're all different when you think about it," Steven noted as he gently squeezed Rai's hand.

"Good luck, Pearl! I'm sure you will do fine," Greg told her before he saw he needed to go back to work. "I need to head back to work. You should probably check on some of the other Gems," he said.

"And just think there was a time a when my dad had five of him at once, plus two older kids." Rai laughed. "I still don't know how he managed it and with his sanity intact."

"You're probably right." Pearl said. "I will see you later." Pearl left to return to the beach house.

"Wait, what is the usualy size for family units?" Peridot asked her as she kept looking at the baby with an analytical look. Lapis herself had been holding the baby while smiling. She felt an odd sense of sereneness and protection with Mason.

"I don't know. I guess it depends the type of family, but it's usually the parents and two kids for immediate family and then extended family members," Steven told them.

"Have a nice day, Pearl!" Greg told her with a smile before going back to work. When Pearl would arrive at the temple, she saw Amethyst just chilling. "Hey P, how it'd go?" Amethyst askd her with a smile.

"Unless you're Greek then there's more than two kids." Rai chuckled. "Seriously none of my aunts or uncles have less than four kids and the most kids belong to my dad's youngest brother who has twelve and one of his sisters has eleven kids. Both sides combined I have 88 cousins and that's not including their spouses or kids."

"We're going to the movies tomorrow night at 7." Pearl stated. "And Raiden already said she's giving me a makeover beforehand."

"Yeah, but I think that is a Greek thing. I mean, the Pizza family and Peedee's family isn't all that big," Steven said, still surprised at how big her family was. "That's... that's absurd," Peridot managed to say. She couldn't beleive that much. While she was still somewhat naive to human ways, her cultural binging through television and later the internet did help establish some baseline knowledhe.

"Wow... that's something. Have you met all of them?" Lapis asked, surprsied herself.

"Wow! Go Pearl! You gonna go and net your own human," Amethyst said in wild voice before becoming a bit more serious. "JUst... good luck okay? You're gonna do well," she said.

"It's definitely a Greek thing, I have yet to see one with less than fifty members." Rai laughed. "Of coarse I've met all of them! In fact I see most of them on a yearly basis. And a bunch are gonna come to Beach City for Mason's baptism."

"Luck will have nothing to do with it." Pearl stated faking confidence.

"Oh man, that's gonna be crazy! Dad says alot of the business owners are planning for alot regardung this. He does say this will get the new hotel alot of business," Steven says, laughing alongside with Rai.

"What's a baptism?" Peridot asked with Lapis also looking interested in it. Steven looked to Rai for her to explain it.

"Yeah sure, Pearl," Amethyst says before Garnet appears once more. "Just be yourself, Pearl. Do not be afraid to take risks," she says.

"Oh yeah, I mean my grandparents are gonna stay at our house but most of them are staying hotel." Rai stated. "And I think Dennis is gonna propose so that they can get married while our family's in town. Typically our family tries to fit as many things into a visit as possible because if we did everything whenever we'd probably traveling several times a month. I actually think my cousin's daughter is gonna be baptized with Mason, but I'm not entirely sure. A baptism is a religious ceremony where either a baby has holy water placed on them by a priest as like an initiations into the religion or a teenager or adult is dunked in water by a priest as an act of dedication to the religion. I was baptized twice, when I was six months old and again when I was fourteen."

"I took a risk asking him out didn't I?" Pearl asked.

Back
Top Bottom