Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Yu-gi-oh 5Ds: Rise of Darkness and Corruption (Athene/ImaginaryMuse & Razgriz)

Judai was perfectly fine staying quiet while they walked back ... for an array of reasons. Also, he wouldn't dare be foolish enough to offer pointless words or reassurances, including that she was no longer suffering. No, it still very much didn't justify what he and Rua had witnessed mere moments ago. Whether or not Rua would be able to forgive Demak like Ruka could was a completely story. As for Judai? He could at least begin to more than any of the other Dark Signers he'd seen thus far. It was a start ... something positive to possibly tuck away for the future. Whatever it would end up being, it was something to make damn sure Judai wouldn't soon forget.

For the time being, however, there was something much more important than his view about Demak. It was what exactly to tell Crow. Unfortunately, this didn't feel like a band aid that could be slowly peeled off. Or, perhaps the better wording, is it could ... but why? It'd be painful to do it quickly, but at this point? Getting the truth out into the open probably was, unfortunately, for the best ... even if it meant revealing that Judai had let him down in the process.

Not at all intentionally of course ... and with any amount of luck, that would be his saving grace.

But he was otherwise very ready for Crow to be livid, possibly earning a physical retort in the process. It'd depend how well he could maintain his control. Regardless, Judai wouldn't blame him at all.

Well, time's up ... he lamented, lifting his head in time to the familiar place where Crow was keeping the other orphans safe. And as Crow's voice stopped .... Judai's heart sank. Finally ... it arrived. The inevitable question of what had happened. Judai sighed ... lightly gripped onto his lower lip ... and gave a slow shake of his head, moving it from side to side.

And should that not be a good enough hint? The next words would give away what he was trying to say.

"By the time we finished freeing Ancient Fairy Dragon and left the Spirit World ... Ruka was already in the middle of her duel. I ... don't know if you had one, but there was some strangle purple aura surrounding her and the Dark Signer. Had any of us touched it ... we wouldn't be here either. I'm sorry .... I really am. To both of you."

Just as Rua would have gladly given anything to take Ruka's spot, Judai was very much the same. No, he wasn't related to any of these people by blood. But as far as he was concerned? He didn't need to be in order to be a decent human being.

Every time Judai tried to say something more ... words failed to leave his throat. He finally opted to simply close his mouth, standing his ground. Even though he knew he eventually had to get back to Yuna ... no. Right now, he'd stay with Crow and accept whatever was about to happen. Maybe even help him watch the kids if that was what was needed.

If nothing else, he would at least have a way to get in touch with the others, as he himself had telepathy courtesy of Yubel.

"Ruka...I'm sorry...But I can't forgive him...Not after what I witnessed."

That's what the boy said to himself; no, if he had to fight, he absolutely would. To hell with his body being destroyed; if it meant a chance to avenge his sister, he would absolutely take it. What would he do? Die? He might as well be dead already without his sister here with him.

Crow's fist clenched as Judai might give his explanation; and if Crow looked? He would see indeed the bright yellow Tower now fully alight, the pulsing light matching the red, green and blue of the other three in intensity. If anything, all four of them seemed even more intense now; was it because so many were lit?

Regardless, his attention refocused on Judai....And as the young man recounted what happened, Crow's hands clenched the front of Judai's outfit, grip tight as he shouted, "You let her die?!" Admittedly, he lost control, a hand raised up in a fist to punch Judai....But then Rua put a hand on Crow's own jacket, making the orange-haired lad stop cold.

"Crow-neesan...Please....stop...Ruka wouldn't want this..."

Crow did in fact, pause. His eyes looking at Rua, the kid definitely in pain. And with that, he stopped, letting Judai go. "Sorry..." he would then say to Judai, arm wiping away the tear that had threatened to fall. "You're right....We shouldn't fight. That's not going to solve anything." Giving a hard sigh, a hand rubbed the back of his head as he said, "Look...Let's just...head inside...We can try to figure out what to do next. Jack and Fayth went to scout out Yomi not too long ago; should be back any time. Hopefully we can convince them to let the kids at least stay there."

Jack and Fayth had borrowed Crow's Runner, him taking the wheel this time. The ride had been in relative silence; he didn't think they would be so cruel as to deny children shelter. A place with demon guards seemed both the best and the worst place for them to hide out; at the very least, they would have better protection.

"Fayth....Hopefully with Yuna awake, you can use your history with her to help convince the demons to stand down." Jack would say; after all, it was because of her that Yuna came back. And he knew Yuna wouldn't disapprove, but it was in fact the demons themselves he worried about.

However...His eyes widened as he approached what was once the Facility. "No....No no no..." he would then mutter panickedly, the vehicle lurching as he gunned it towards the base. And when he arrived fully? It was as bad as he had seen, and even worse up close. This place was destroyed! The giant letters that once stood mockingly against Goodwin lay among the rubble. Every inch laid to waste.

Jack could only stare in horror; this had the mark of the Dark Signers all over it! "God damn it! Can we not catch a break!?" he shouted in sheer frustration, adding "I knew they were low, but these people weren't even involved!"

The mere implication of Judai simply allowing Ruka to die stung more than the punch he was about to receive. His eyes briefly flashed as they narrowed, his fists clenching tighter as he forced the nails to dig into his palms rather than wanting to try returning the gesture he was about to get. Sure, he'd expected this and it was in some rights justified. But to say he'd let it happen ... was another different story.

"You think I haven't been beating myself up since we got out?! You think I'm happy with any of that?! I know her blood is on my hands as much as it is Demak's, okay?! But did you not hear the part where if either me or Rua had touched the damn thing, we'd also be dead?!"

Judai briefly closed his eyes, now forcing himself to focus and calm down, even if only a small bit. His eyes would slowly come into view once Crow let go of him. Wordlessly, he lightly patted Rua's back, thanking him for talking Crow out of the punch. Just because Judai had figured it was coming didn't necessarily mean he'd wanted it. It just meant he wouldn't hold a grudge this time around like most others might.

"With things as dire as they are now .... it seems you all need some extra allies. Yuna was already seriously considering getting involved in this war because ... while she isn't a Signer, she definitely doesn't support the Dark Signers. And I don't see her sitting or hiding away and just ... not doing something. I can say for certain that I, myself, will help out regardless of whether Yuna will or not. Doubly so now that .... now that I just watched Ruka die."

An eyebrow rose as he clearly looked uncertain about the idea of Jack and Fayth convincing Yuna to use the Facility. Of course, he also didn't know it was gone and destroyed by now. But if he did? He'd be a bit relieved on one hand .... yet even more livid than he already was on the other.

"If that's really the case .... then I think waiting is for the best."

Nodding at the thought after mulling their options over, Judai would join both Crow and Rua, each very much disheartened and upset at the recent events, and walked inside the residence.

Fayth, meanwhile, was keeping her arms wrapped tightly around Jack's waist. Her head lowered down towards his leg every now and again as she glanced towards the area with concern. As happy as she was to take note that Jack seemed capable of walking around now, she was still equally worried for him. Her own arm ... well ... it'd certainly been worse, but it also could be better too.

But before she could ask if he was truly feeling okay, his own words would make her smile softly and nod in agreement.

"No. I don't think Yuna's cold-hearted at all, period ... none of them are from the times I spoke with any of them." A slight grimace spread over her lips as she added, "I'm still a bit uncertain about this idea, but ... huh?! What's wrong?!"

A soft hiss elicited as she squeezed tighter which, unfortunately, caused a slight surge of pain to shoot through her still wounded arm in the process. The shoes she was wearing instantly registered not just one rock, but a lot of them. Leaning down, she felt debris .... tons of it. Her head lifted up towards Jack's voice as she spoke in a horrified voice, "You're not seriously telling me .... it's destroyed? But .... this was The Facility! And if they really had demons on their side .... "

Suddenly, her flight instinct was screaming to heed her instincts now. To just leave and forget about this war. But then ... she reminded herself that even if she could do that much? There was another going on back at her home ... which made a frustrated sigh resound from Fayth.

Really is a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation .... she mused, grimacing at the thought.

Not knowing what else to do, Fayth slowly began to walk around. Some part of her seemed to hope and pray like mad that maybe - just maybe - someone was still around. "Yuna? Hajime? Anyone?"

On the plus side ... she only felt rocks crumbling under her feet. No hints that there were bodies, so ....

" .... Maybe they're alive and just .... somewhere else?" she offered. It was almost sad that those very words were one of the best possible scenarios ... but it was seeming like the most likely one, also.

" ... Hmm??"

As her foot went over something else, Fayth leaned down once more. An eyebrow rose as she moved her foot and picked up ... paper? The same note that had been left for Judai, it appeared. She tried to trace her fingers over the parchment ... but whoever had written this did so in a hasty manner, likely pressed for time. Either way, she couldn't make out what had been jotted down.

"What's this say, Jack? If it's a location, perhaps we can head there?"

It may not be a safer place as opposed to The Facility. But if absolutely nothing else ... at least knowing where Yomi was would be a good start, even if only to ask about allies as opposed to having the kids stay elsewhere.

Jack Atlas::Trance Demon
Jack was practically seething at this point; how much more did these people have to destroy? Why did they get innocent people involved?! "It is....This place is gone, Fayth...FUCK!" Jack shouted at the end, kicking a large piece of rock in aggravation. One that made him stub his toe and caused his own body to act up, a loud hiss of discomfort leaving him. "Sonofa...." he grunted, an arm around his front as he clutched his side.
Fayth's cries for anyone to be around would go unanswered...Only deafening silence remained. The low howls of passing wind whished on by, the darkened skies blackening out any trace of the sun. If one looked at the time it should be late afternoon, but it seemed the land was now cast in perpetual darkness. Only the lights from the God Towers to serve as any form of illumination among the destroyed landscape.

But then she brought his attention to a slip of paper; he wasn't sure if it was something completely irrelevant, but given the words as he might read them, it was far too convenient to be anything other than a message for someone.

"It says....'Home is where the heart is'. I....Don't have any idea what that means..."

However, he then heard another noise: A loud blaring siren nearby, followed by several others. Jack had to clasp his ears with his hands; where the hell did that come from? "That's a tad late; those are warning sirens for a tsunami or if we needed to shelter in place during a factory fire." he explained, grimacing as he recalled a few such events.

And while Jack wouldn't be able to hear it right away, Fayth would hear another siren further away...Followed by another. It was like one set of the sirens was playing in a line. "Why they're playing now though? I have no idea..."

While Jack and Fayth might try and figure out where to go, Trance Demon was leading Yuna and Hajime along. They had been traveling for quite some time by this point, the little demon able to warn them when to hide. Several times they would see groups of figures in billowing black robes like the ones that attacked the Facility roaming around. And while no one would blame them for wanting to engage them and get revenge....Doing so would be rather foolish.

"Getting...closer...Can feel....Hotsuma's energy....Stronger, but still very weak..." Trance Demon would say, his hunched form walking among the uneven stone and concrete of the Satellite streets and alleyways. They had searched high and low, but so far it was nothing. Not even a single civilian; were the Dark Signers cleaning out the Satellite? Certainly seemed that way. Even Trance Demon's past memories as Mihara the Satellite officer were bringing them to dead ends of former Security substations. Evidence of struggle yes, but no bodies.

It was like the Satellite was being purged....Which in truth would not be too far off.

However....it would be here that Yuna might feel something slam into her mind, a rushed and frenzied message....From someone she might not expect to hear from.

... It's kinda self explanatory, isn't it?

But as Fayth heard how ... cocky those words might come off should she elicit them, she kept the words to herself. Instead, she thought about how to reword them in a way that was less smug and more attempting to help prove her point. Her fingernails lightly tapped against the side of her jeans. "Well ..." she began to start, damn well nearly jumping as alarms started going off. Fayth quickly pressed one hand tightly against her ear, only leaving the other exposed just so she could try to listen to Jack.

" .... A tsunami or shelter?" she repeated, only hesitant for one reason. Yet it was a vital one all the same. "But ... these started blaring soon after we arrived, so .... " Fayth nervously glanced around before looking back at Jack. "Does .... someone know we're here then ... ??"

Normally, this wouldn't be a terrifying thought. However, with there being no guarantees on who might have noticed them and Fayth not wanting to take any chances, she was eager to break off into a run if Jack also thought it was the right thing to do. "As for the note .... maybe Yuna has a home she grew up in? That's the only thing that makes sense ... assuming Yuna wrote it, that is."

Or at least that someone did so for her.

"Should we head out, or ... ??"

Thankfully, neither Yuna nor Hajime had any desire to fight against any of the groups of robed figures. Not now, anyway. The first and main priority was Hotsuma and getting him back. It was what they both agreed on; something that Yuna was particularly grateful for with Hajime assisting. Even without her powers, it wasn't exactly a secret that he liked her. She could practically feel the tension and jealous radiating off of him.

.... Yet despite those feelings, he had never once tried to force her to give up on Hotsuma or do something even more drastic. It filled Yuna with a sense of pride, knowing she had a right-hand man she could trust with even her life if it came down to that.

"Good," she finally muttered as Trance Archfiend spoke up. "The sooner we find him, the better."

And as Aki's words rang through her head, she stopped dead in her tracks, eyebrows furrowed. First she had to make damn sure she was hearing things correctly.

Yuna! Hajime! One of you please hear this, Hotsuma has me! He's not himself! The Emperor's taken over Hotsuma!

Yuna's head jerked sharply towards Hajime as she stared right at her lieutenant, now wearing a horrified expression. "Did ... you hear that?"

I wish I hadn't, but ... yes.

"Oi, Trance! Is it true?! That the Emperor is completely in charge and not even Hotsuma?!"

Because if that was the case, then this suddenly felt like a suicidal mission. Or damn close to one. Yuna swallowed nervously, clenching her fists tightly. "Hajime ... I want you to seriously consider heading back. Helping Mei, Shivini and Yamichi watch over my place. Keep it safe. Besides ... if Judai is back now, he needs to know how to find us, and --- "

I get your concerns, Yuna. Really, I do. But you're insane if you think I'm just going to let you risk dying yet again. You literally just recovered not long ago ... if anything, I'll fight for you.

Yuna's eyes narrowed, seeming slightly offended at the idea. As her mouth opened to retort, however, there would be a new voice that reverberated in Yuna's head.

Just leave it to me. I'll help you both when we arrive.

.... Who is this? It's not Rose, so ....

Trust me. But to answer your question? I was the person you should have originally become. Think of me as your true form, so to speak.

Odd. There weren't many more female cards in her deck, so if this was indeed one ... she wasn't coming up with many guesses. There was only one ... and it did make sense. But for now ... Yuna would trust this voice. She had no reason - not yet - to do so, after all. Her head nodded slowly as she looked back towards Hajime. "Then ... please. If things get too dire, leave."

If and only if, Hajime replied, a defeated sigh aiding to emphasize how much he disliked the idea.

"I suppose," Yuna mused as they continued, "that message was actually a bit of a good thing."

Oh? And why's that? Hajime inquired curiously.

"Because ... we don't even know who is still alive. We didn't beforehand, anyway. But now we know Aki is ... and that's something. Maybe she can fill us in."

You realize we're not Signers, yes?

"True. But we also agreed to help them out. Knowing the exact situation would be one way to go about it. The best hint we've got .... are those." Yuna nodded up towards the sky, showing the Towers off to Hajime, who frowned at the amount that were lit.

Seems like the answer is not at all well.

"Mhm, probably right. As I said, I know we aren't Signers. But ... maybe if we beat any of the Dark Signers, it can help out somehow. We need to at least try. I sure as hell don't wanna live while the Satellite is like this, and I doubt you do."

No ... nor would Aniki ...

Yuna nodded as Hajime voiced his resolve. "Good. Then use that to shove your fears away. Don't get it twisted, they are most certainly valid. But if we let them conquer us now, we will end up dead for certain."

Jack Atlas::Trance Demon
Jack wasn't at all sure to where to go...But what Fayth was saying made sense. He didn't know Yuna's history at all, but based on their few interactions? She clearly did grow up here like he and the others had. This had to be hard for her, and he had a damn good suspicion she wasn't going to just lie down and let this unfold.

However, it was here that the sirens played again...But this time Jack did hear something different. A second siren even further away, something that Fayth would be able to hear for herself even more clearly. Along with a third siren even farther away....Yeah, that was unusual. Especially since he hadn't heard them play at all until now.

"I think...we should...So far the Dark Signers have been more subtle about their luring us. This is far too obvious, and they wouldn't resort to these sorts of tricks with their power." Jack mused; he could be dead wrong, but everything showed so far they used far more opaque means to get them to lower their guard.

"Anyway....I heard more sirens this way. Come on.." Jack would say, taking Fayth's hand gently and guiding her back to the Runner, before long taking off in the direction the three sirens seemed to be playing.

Trance Demon led them along more, before long pausing as Yuna asked her question. He seemed to pause, his voice choking a bit before realizing he could speak....Freely. There was no other pressure, nothing from the Emperor. He was...free! All this time he had thought those painful surges were from the Emperor...But they weren't!

"Yes....But Emperor had control....Could not say..Has been in control...For long time. Since before Arcadia revisit....Not know what has been done to Hotsuma. Only what I said before...Terrible experimentation. If Kozaky and Mad Scientist involved....Cannot be anything good. Must exist to serve Emperor's own ends..." he would say, listening as Yuna might reflect on how dire the situation was. He could not comment on that; though if the Towers were emanating this strong energy? Then the time was close.

"Must hurry....Emperor's plan likely nearing completion.....Veil between worlds....Beginning to weaken...Can see aspects of Abyss....Creeping through...."

Trance Demon urged them forward, feeling his pressures actually...lessen. And feeling a link get stronger. "This way!" he uttered lowly, leading the pair down a narrow side alley. And soon they arrived at an old house....And though Yuna might not know it, this was in fact Hotsuma's true residence. The place where he grew up. It was dilapidated, destroyed and ruined from the decay and lack of maintenance. It was largely destroyed, and he did hold up a hand to pause before they might exit to the street. Four Demon Soldiers were posted outside.

Four demons outside a seemingly unimportant house? Definitely an unusual sight.

"Hotsuma...in there....Can feel him...Spirit...very weak....Unlikely to survive any attempt at liberation....Can sense Mad Scientist as well, but not Kozaky...." Trance Demon would then say, adding "What we do now? This one too weak...These Demons under Emperor's control, not liberated like me or other demons at Yomi. Not going to fall easily."

It was a bit fortunate that Fayth was blinded and lacking her eyes because otherwise ... she would have rolled them. She didn't personally agree that all of the times they had been lured by the Dark Signers were subtle. But ... he wasn't wrong, either. More than not, it was indeed the case. But now that she was hearing more of them, and all in different directions ... yeah. If this were the Dark Signers' doing ... they'd probably be in the same direction. Or, frankly, they likely wouldn't use technology at all.

It was at this moment that a name slipped past her lips.

" .... Yamichi?" she muttered curiously. He did have a Scrap deck and lest she was mistaken ... she'd heard something about him being very tech-savvy when she spoke with him and the other contestants at the Fortune Cup.

"Hopefully," she added, taking a hold of Jack's arm as she ran off with him, soon feeling Crow's wheeler. She got behind him once more, placing her hands around his waist once again. "Okay .... ready as I'll ever be. Let's go ..."

As Jack drove off, she began praying like mad.

Please ... for the love of all that's holy enough .... let us have a break. Even if just this once ...

More would be preferred, of course, but one would also be a good enough start given how the past few days had gone. And that was before knowing what Crow now had knowledge of.

" ... What even is the Emperor's plan?" Yuna asked, unable to hide the anxious tone in her voice. It was true that part of her hadn't really wanted to know. But ... now that she'd learned this was the Emperor and not even Hotsuma ... it was another thing that she felt was vital for them to know. Regardless of whether Trance revealed that or not, Yuna would continue moving, wearing a bit of fear but also a strong sense of resolve within her brown eyes.

Soon, they eventually reached their destination ... a very old house. Regardless of why or how it got in this state ... that didn't matter. Yuna quickly shook her head as she peeked from behind an alley wall. A quick count revealed 4 which was not the most there could have been. Even still, with her being the only one who truly had powers in any form or fashion and Hajime's being mediocre at best .... it was still more than enough. Also, there was the fact that none of them had any weapons on them ... that would make this tougher should they try to fight in their human forms.

Now is the time. Let me take control.

One condition. No going berserk like Rose did.

Oh no. That won't be an issue at all. My targets are only the demons; no one else.

Hajime looked quizzically at Yuna. Oh, he'd definitely heard the voice earlier. And the reassurance was all well and good, but ... who was this?

An aura engulfed Yuna's entire body. Just like before, her hair turned red. It almost seemed like she was becoming Rose once more. However ... the sword and armor gave away it was not Rose. Instead, she found herself as the main guess that made the most sense in her head. And, now that she thought on it, it was whom she originally first drew and pondered about if she would turn into.

Soon, everyone would see her take on the form of Getsu Fuhma.

"They will be child's play. Let me deal with them."

The voice was primarily Getsu's ... but hints of Yuna could also be detected. With a quick motion of her hand, Getsu withdrew the katana out of its sheath and ran forward. With as much speed - possibly more - that Yuna possessed while she could become Rose, she swung her blade upon getting close enough to each demon, effortlessly beheading them.

With how swift Yuna was in her new fused form, none got a chance to let out a warning cry and soon ... all of their bodies collapsed in a heap. Hajime lowly whistled, a proud smile adorning his face as he stepped out from behind his hiding spot and began following Yuna and Trance into the house.

Jack could only try to hear the sirens over the noise of the Runner's engine; it was hard, but he was indeed getting closer. "Whoever this is....Just please be someone not trying to kill us. I'll fight if I have to, but damn it I could use a breather." he would say to himself, riding along as he followed siren after siren. What was even stranger was that he could still hear sirens behind him; whoever was doing this was trying to cover their tracks.

Something that put him both at ease and on edge, as impossible as that might sound. But soon he got a welcome sight, the tires screeching to a halt as he stopped in front of an old house. Indeed, they would soon be witness to a very familiar face, and even Jack could tell this one wasn't an imposter. The Dark Signers had likely never seen her before.

"Doc..Mei, right?"

The raven-haired woman nodded kindly, "Jack, Fayth...So good to see you both! But, please come inside! And don't worry, I'll park your Runner in the shed here; at the very least it will throw off anyone trying to track you visually. And I'll take a look at those injuries as best I can." Jack quirked a brow, but did so; anything to give them a breather would be hugely appreciated. "Go on in,; I'll be right there." she would say, moving the Runner with some difficulty around the backside of the house while Jeck and Fayth might head into the house.

Once indoors, Jack would say, "Please, Miss Belrose, have a seat." before guiding her to a sofa and allowing her to sit if she so chose. "Hey, Celeste! Jack!" then came a second familiar voice from the kitchen. It would be one she recognized from the tournament all those months ago as well as the film premiere, back when everything was....well, not quite so fucked like they were now. "Sorry we couldn't meet again....Aye..." A low hiss left him as he clutched his leg, his voice somber as he then looked up at her and saw her own bindings.

"God...No offense, but you look like someone took a sledgehammer to your shoulder! Are you alright?" he would ask, Jack then saying "Honestly? Could have been better...So I'm guessing it was you with the siren trick." Yamichi just smiled and replied, "Yeah....We....Uh, as you saw got hit hard...Made it hard to leave anything resembling a clue....Lost a lot of people...."

That last bit was said with more than a hint of sorrow, but Yamichi managed to recover enough and said, "But if I could at least help two allies get somewhere safe....That counts right?"

Trance Demon visibly recoiled as Yuna shifted into a very familiar; it wasn't so much who it was, but what she wielded. Its radiant energy was all but fatal to nearly all demons, a weapon long thought destroyed during the Emperor's conquests of the lower parts of the Spirit World, as well from how many villages he had personally dragged down. The blade was something of a legend in the Abyss.

Regardless, once done, Trance would follow behind Hajime as they might approach, not saying a word as the door was opened carefully. Inside they would hear two voices: Both of which sounded remarkably level. Human even.

"Gah, no, you idiot! You already tried clamping the arteries; are you trying to make him expire!?"

"Well, we wouldn't have this problem if you had kept the respiratory system! But nooo, you had to give it to the Emperor!"

"If he's to transform fully, he needs to integrate the pieces most essential for this world! And last I checked humans, still needed air to breathe! Which by the way, our friend is losing a lot of! Turn the valve back on!"

If Yuna and the others might pick around the corner, they would see a rather disturbing sight: It was Hotsuma alright....But he had a lot of pieces missing. All four limbs were gone, as was most of his torso and abdominal area. In fact, even the bones seem to be missing, the only remains left was his head, half the skin of his face gone with only the portiont that had the criminal mark still on it remaining, as well as a visibly beating human heart. The fact that he was still alive was a miracle, if the display readouts were anything to go by.

And at one side stood a balding man in gold-colored underclothes and a labcoat, whilst a screen contained the head of a demon-faced man, no doubt Kozaky and the Mad Doctor as Hotsuma had said.

All of him, or what was left, seemed to be floating in a similar style pod to what they used at Arcadia...But this one was filled with a sickly red liquid, a gush of air rushing into it with a wet splash inside the tank, electrodes implanted in his head and on his heart.

Even Trance Demon seemed to cover his mouth, looking like he was about to hurl; good lord, this was nothing as bad as he had seen them do in the past!

"Mei?" Fayth repeated softly under her breath, her eyes briefly furrowing. But then it clicked ... the name was familiar. "Oh thank god," she muttered, her head falling against the back of Jack's shirt. "The past .... two? Three days? We've needed more friendlier faces, let's just say, so good to find you again." Or be led to, but Fayth wasn't about to be technical with her words. Mei wouldn't need to tell her twice, barely even once, to head inside. Fayth gently linked her arm with Jack and followed him in.

For the first time in nearly half a week ... Fayth chuckled as she heard her fake name. "I see how it is. Like that one better than Milner, do you?" she asked, flashing a coy grin as she didn't just accept the offer. No, she allowed herself to plop down onto the couch, then shifted so she was lying on her side. Already, she could feel quite a bit of the almost literal weight on her shoulders being lifted off.

This may not have been the original part off their plan for heading out ... but in its own rights? This was a blessing, and one that Fayth would happily embrace.

"Yamichi! Hey, been a while!"

Fayth remained lying down, but at least rose her good hand high enough so the tech could see her wave to him. "Well ... you're not too far off. Kiryu did take some sorta tool to it, but it wasn't quite a sledgehammer. Not sure what it was .... except for something that hurt like a bitch."

And as he confirmed Jack hadn't simply been looking at an illusion, Fayth grimaced. "How though?" she asked, her voice barely in a whisper. "That was the Facility. It literally did seem like the safest and maybe even strongest possible place to take over. So .... what the hell happened?"

For now, the real reason they had come over to start with could wait. Right now, getting details and better understanding the situation happening would be for the best. However, she did add one more sentiment before allowing Yamichi to speak up. "You ... most definitely have our condolences. You've probably seen them ... the Towers. We've had our own share of losses too ..."

And if only to keep herself calm and from breaking down again, she left it at that. Just admitting that much out loud hurt ... more than she was letting on. Right now, as far as Fayth was concerned, letting him know that he and whoever else was still alive weren't alone was her main goal.

As both Yuna and Hajime peeked through the slightly ajar door, their mouths fell agape. It was easy to see they were almost wishing they hadn't looked to see who exactly was there, and certainly not finding out how Hotsuma was ... or wasn't, depending on one's point of view.

Yuna's mouth opened as tears quickly began streaming down her face.

Sorry ... she heard echo in her head, before Hajime quickly clamped a hand tightly over her mouth. Yuna sniffled and nodded ... if anything silently thanking him as well as letting him know that he'd very much done the right thing. Her legs shook before finally ... she gave in and slumped to the floor, kneeling on the ground.

You think you can keep it low now?

As Hajime felt Yuna give an affirmative nod, he moved his hand away, his hand now a bit wet from any tears that had fallen upon his flesh. "We were too slow! We didn't get a lead fast enough! Fuck!" Yuna hissed under her breath, barely containing the rage and sorrow. Even tougher still was keeping it at a low enough volume ... but if only to ensure they could figure something out, she forced herself to do as much. "What ... how .... there's no way! That's ... we'd need Mei to see about helping us transport and even then, that may not mean anything."

"You answered your own question, didn't you?"

"....Wh....what's that mean?"

"There is no way to save him .... except through Death."

As Yuna's mouth opened again, Hajime placed his hand back over. Yuna's head whipped from side to side ... before she clenched a fist and started to punch the ground, only for her arm to be caught by Hajime's other hand.

I get it.

Yuna tilted her head up to shoot him a glare.

No, I actually do in my own rights. It may not have been this extreme or dire ... but it ultimately was me who let Eikichi die. No, it wasn't with my hands or any weapon ... but I didn't try to ensure he stayed safe either. I'm no better than whoever did end his life. You wanna argue technicalities with me? You may ... but later. Right now ... Getsu is right. And I can guess that's part of why you're as upset as you are; because the truth hurts and even you know this is the correct thing to do. Now .... if you don't think you can do it, let me have the sword.

Yuna whimpered as the sobs continued. Her fists clenched briefly, releasing as she finally gently tapped Hajime's hand, signaling he could remove it now. "I hate you both," she lowly replied, using her shoulder to wipe tears away, only for them to be replaced. "But .... you're not wrong. However ...." A low chuckle managed to leave her lips as her head shook from side to side.

"I get this annoying feeling he'd scold me if you went out to .... put him out of his misery. So .... no. I'll be fine. I'll do this. Besides, I haven't relinquished my title of Yomi's leader to you yet, so ... I'm kinda obligated to do this."

Before that though ... Yuna thought over what was going through her head. Whether she really wanted to do this. And .... even if it may seem like a low blow, knowing what she was about to do ... this was the best time in its own rights. Nodding to herself, she leaned forward and pressed her lips gently but firmly onto Hajime's lips. His eyes widened ... but he leaned into it, rather hungrily returning it.

It only lasted forty-five seconds .... but it felt like a few minutes.

"Thank you ... for everything. You truly have been one of the best people to stay beside me the past few years."

Hajime smiled at the praise, then tilted his head in curiosity. So .... what are you going to do? Just waltz in, or ...?

"Actually ... yes." She rose the blade up. "This does work on one of them, so I got leverage."

Hajime rose an eyebrow ... then nodded as he remembered that Kozaky was, indeed, a demon. Fair enough. I'm staying nearby to ensure you get out of there safe.

Yuna nodded as well before taking one lnog, deep breath.

"Let me take over, at least with your actions. Long enough to ensure this is finished. You can not hesitate ... or else this can and likely will take a turn for the worse."

" ... Under one condition. Promise we stay in control ... only take our rage out against the demons."

"Of course. I know Rose put you in a berserk state a few times. I won't do that to you."

" .... Okay. Don't make me regret this."

The moment Getsu had full control, she kicked the door wide open, breaking it off its hinges. She stormed forward, flashing a glare between Mad Scientist and Kozaky as she rose the blade up in front of her. "Out of the way! Step back from Hotsuma now, or I will kill you both from where you stand right here and now!"

The control was all Getsu. The voice, however ... if one paid close enough attention, they could hear Yuna was very much there, as were the tears still falling down her face. A small but significant hint that Getsu had kept her word and allowed Yuna some freedom.

Yamichi winced as he heard Fayth tell him that Kiryu used her as a testing slate for a power tool. "I knew that guy was unhinged...But fucking hell." Yamichi stated, his brows furrowing; the theater display was bad enough, but to think he would go this far? He just hoped that someone managed to take care of him....But if there was one thing he did learn, it was that the Dark Signers were horrendously powerful.

And if they could do this to Duelists as strong as Fayth and Jack? He shuddered to think what the average person would suffer.

Jack sat down beside Fayth, wondering too what happened. It had to have been something strong to overpower the demon legions, and there was only one group Jack could think of with the juice to do it.

The Dark Signers...
But then Fayth would hear a short tale. Yamichi taking a shuttering breath as he started, "You'll...have to forgive me. Seeing it happen....It was so quick. They were on us in seconds. They went for the demons first, some kind of black cloud killing them. Ice monsters.....Giant spiders...Then the Commander...He grabbed me...Threw into the Warden's office with the others....Sealed the doorway....Eikichi and Takeshi....And him...They bought us time....But it wasn't enough."

Yamichi started to shake, the memories still painful; it was right about here that Doc Mei returned, seeing Yamichi crying and rushing over to hug him. "There there...It's alright...." Mei said, Jack then adding "Gods.....Yamichi, I'm sorry...That must have been horrible." Mei then chimed in, "It was....I didn't think I could hate someone so much as these Dark Signers. So much needless death and destruction."

Needless to say, Trance Demon was hesitant to get involved; he might be a Demon, but he knew Kozaky and the Mad Scientist were no slouches. And with Hotsuma now essentially as a hostage? This definitely complicated matters. But even he could see Yuna was dead serious, though he did recoil as she transformed, the fully armor-clad figure of Getsu Fhuma making herself known.

He could at least try to help, but just stayed out of sight as she confronted the two of them, who both seemed quite surprised that they had intruders. "Well well....It's been a long time, Getsu." Kozaky would say, the Mad Scientist chiming in, "Getsu....From that one village? I thought everyone there was destroyed." Kozaky just chuckled, "So did I; I was sure the demons Ignacious sent after her had ripped her to pieces. But I guess that Cursed Blade of yours pulled through in the end."

At this he then mused, "Though I suppose I shouldn't be surprised you're here; you always did like sticking your nose where it didn't belong. You and the rest of the Fhuma clan. Is just for this Hotsuma fellow you've come, or did you come to seek revenge for what the Emperor and I did to your siblings?" A sly grin crossed his face, "Come now, do you honestly thinking killing us is going to accomplish anything? The Emperor already has everything he needs from the boy. If you want him, you can have what's left."

The Mad Scientist cackled, "Watching the Slimes dissolve his flesh was most fun; I dare say they rather enjoyed it themselves. Especially with the screams he let out. Unf....Simply orgasmic." The bald-headed man then touched the glass where what remained of Hotsuma floated, "In truth, we could just pull the plug. No harm, no foul. Though he would slowly die; this is the only thing keeping him alive right now. That and the electrical impulses forcing his heart to beat...Or should I say, the Emperor's old heart. He's getting on in years you see....So he so kindly gave Hotsuma his old one and we took his. Shockingly compatible, the both of them."

Kozaky then added, "Indeed; we were just keeping him alive for study at this point. How very interesting that a demon's heart could graft so easily to a human's body and vice versa." At this the Mad Scientist then said, "Ignacious did say he needed to be kept alive, however...And knowing the Fhuma Demon Slayer clan, she'll kill him as an act of mercy. And I would hate to lose such an excellent test subject."

At this both Kozaky and the Mad Scientist had their energies starting to rise; a giant mechnical abomination began to rise up around them, ensnaring what remained of Hotsuma and dragging it into the center as a tie-decorated chestplate rose over it, both evil researchers now seated firmly atop it as the house broke apart into splinters and shards, ground breaking all around them as its massive treads shattered the fragments. Gears whirred from within, mechanical arms snapping as the machine readied itself.

"I will handle automation; you take over weapons...." Kozaky said, the scientist giggling madly as he dipped down a small chute, landing in a seat where a variety of readouts could be seen. Kozaky grabbed the twin sticks, his smile grinning as he said, "You like my toy, Getsu?! Your clanmates sure did not! Hehahahaha! If you want Hotsuma so badly, you'll have to kill me and take him!"

And it was here that Yamichi would get a massive ping on his computer; motion sensors? Tripping now? He pulled out of Mei's hug and took up his comp, Mei asking "Yamichi, what's....Oh my god...."

And if anyone was interested enough to see it, they would bear witness to a terrifying sight....And the sight of a certain bluenette would confirm what Yamichi dreaded. "God....No, Hajime, Yuna! Run!" Yamichi screamed, even though his voice couldn't be heard except by those in the room. The giant mechanical beast was going after the armored female, claws snapping as a giant drill and hammer might strike at her as well.

"Yamichi, what's...." Jack would say, his voice dying as he looked on the video feed, his violet eyes widening as he said, "The....fucking hell is that?"!

As Jack joined her on the couch, Fayth sat up and let her head rest against his arm. Admittedly, her first thought had been to go for his lap ... but nah. Not now. Maybe after this was over ... if they could both pull through. Right now wasn't the time to be that bold though. It was when talking had to happen, and a very serious one at that rate.

"If you'd been there when we were stuck at Puzzle Hospital .... you would have seen just how insane and sadistic he's truly become. He made the theater look and feel like mere child's play."

She'd leave it open for Jack to reveal why exactly that was the case if he so wanted to. Fayth didn't want to relay that ... not now. Which ... was a bit selfish given she brought it up, and should finish what she started. But just as Yamichi went on to talk and hinted he was clearly hurting from his own losses, the same was very much true with Fayth. Truthfully, she'd cried herself to sleep while lying with Jack last night. The temptation to run away had taunted her head many, many times .... yet it was precisely because she had been with Jack that she kept herself from running off in the middle of the night.

" .... Spiders?" Fayth repeated, visibly frowning. "That ... was the deck my own opponent used, so ... guessing those were likely from him."

Her head bowed as she at least opted to elaborate more so on this. "I .... didn't technically win. Morningstar .... gave himself up. Allowed his soul to be taken ... so I could live and get away."

Shame and anger simultaneously surged through her as Fayth grit her teeth. She may not have known Eikichi or Takeshi for long ... but just from recalling how strong both of their decks - particularly Takeshi's - was? That made a shiver go down her spine. Was there any chance at all in being able to turn this around? It was feeling less and less likely, which made her feelings return once again.

But her head firmly shook from side to side as she took another long breath .... before deciding now was the time to give their true intentions to Yamichi. "So ... is Yuna around by chance, or ...??"

"No, unfortunately. Going off the ranks of Yomi ... I guess I'm in charge while she's away. You may remember me better as Shivini, the Amazoness deck user."

"Ah, yes. Yes I do."

A small smile appeared on Shivini's face as she joined the others, sitting with them. "But ... no. Both her and Hajime went off to see about finding and rescuing Hotsuma. We got a lead off one of the few demons that were still loyal to us and remained alive about who was keeping him."

"Dark Signers, huh?" Fayth bitterly muttered.

"Actually, no." A soft chuckle resounded as she saw pure shock appear on Fayth's face. "Sorry, just ... that's how we all felt too. We assumed the same because .... it didn't seem possible for anyone else to keep him held as a prisoner, let alone this long."

" ... That's really where he's been? That's .... crazy to think about. I had to fight him in the Facility, he's ... incredibly strong."

"We've all felt the same too. So ... I'm guessing you needed something from Yuna?"

"Yeah, umm .... but now, just from kinda taking note, I'm not sure if it's as an overly doable idea now. Still ... Crow wanted to see about transferring the orphans to somewhere else. His place got bombarded with bombs by Bommer earlier. None fo the kids died thankfully ... but he doesn't wanna take that chance again if he can help it."

" .... Those fuckers went after children? Is that seriously what I'm hearing?!"

"Apparently. We weren't around when his fight happened, but I don't think Crow would lie of all things."

"Fucking bastards," Shivini growled. "At least me and the remaining Disciples and Yomi members are older. But going after children? No, fuck these guys! We need to get rid of them. Yuna had already convinced me before, but now? We'll definitely see about assisting you and the other Signers somehow. That much I can definitely guarantee. As far as what you really wanted? Well .... you're right, sadly. It's not exactly big enough, otherwise we gladly would be fine with that. If the Facility hadn't gotten attacked ... maybe, but .. as things are? It's a different story, unfortunately."

Fayth nodded, looking a bit miffed but not overly surprised. "That's .... more than fair. Being able to give Crow any good news will be a good start, and I'm sure he'll understand once he hears about the Facility being gone."

The briefest of pauses lingered before Hajime's voice echoed in Shivini's head. "Goddamn ... some days ... I really wish you didn't do that. I... I know it's not your fault." Were anyone else here, this may look like the poor woman had gone a bit insane. But with everyone knowing about Hajime's powers, it was easy to guess that was likely who he was talking to.

Believe it or not? I'd be fine with having my voice back and not so much these powers. But yes, this is important. I figured I'd go on and give the heads up because ... to help warn Yamichi.

Hajime would hear a sigh, then a frustrated groan. "I already hate how this is going, but ... continue. It's ... not good, is it?"

No. There's no easy way to say it, but .... Hotsuma is all but a corpse at this rate. All of his limbs are gone, half of his face has been removed, his chest is cut open, and I'm willing to guess there's some organs that are gone. The only one I've seen for sure that's still around is his heart.

"W... what in the absolute hell?" But as Shivini looked at Mei, a desperate thought entered her head. "What if we sent Mei?!"

Well ... that's going to be even tougher now that Kozaky and Magical Scientist are keeping him attached to some big ass machine. But even if Yuna weren't fighting them? That was another problem we agreed on. The moment he's off any IVs or medical devices? That alone may do it.

"So ... what are you saying exactly? If it's impossible, then why is ... wait. Kozaky and Magical Scientist. Like the cards?! Are you seriously telling me that Yuna is fighting duel spirits?!"

What in the world was even going on? This sounded so crazy and yet ... Shivini knew she wasn't being lied to.

Because unfortunately ... Yuna has to give him mercy. She has to kill him. So ... we won't be coming back with Hotsuma.

" ... I understand ... " Shivini whispered. Tears were already forming and that was ample enough evidence to reveal things really weren't going well. She gripped tightly onto the chair she was sitting in, lest she stand up and throw it across the room which ... were it not for the fact this was Yuna's house? Shivini otherwise may have allowed herself to go through with those actions. Instead, she gave Yamichi a regretful look and shook her head.

"I'm so sorry, Yamichi ... "

Now that Hajime had finished giving them the warning, he gave his attention to Yuna .... and scoffed as he watched what he could only describe as a large, mech sorta machine rise up.

Tch, damnit. This would be more up Yamichi's alley. He could probably tell us how to dismantle it or something of the like.

Even still, he had to put his faith in Yuna and Getsu Fuhma. Because ... well, if he didn't? He wasn't exactly keen on what may end up happening to him should he be discovered and captured.

The fused Yuna, meanwhile, let out a small "Hmph" as the machine came to life. "Figures," she angrily quipped. "Leave it to cowardly demons like you to refuse getting in a one on one fight. So be it."

Ignacious, huh? Yuna noted, tucking the name away for future reference. For now though ... her immediate focus was on the incoming hammer and claw, both of which she jumped away from. A grimace quickly appeared as she gritted her teeth. "You will not keep me away from him forever! I fucking swear that much!"

Even still, she was being a bit coerced to be more cautious than she desired. If only because ... nothing good would come from her dying and leaving everyone else behind.

While the weapons were being adjusted to her new location, Yuna took advantage and dashed forward with swift agility, charging right for Kozaky. Step one of this mission was easy ... at least in concept. She did indeed need to kill him, then handle the machine, and probably the scientist as well. But after that? She could proceed with helping put Hotsuma at peace, or at least no longer in pain.

"Urrrrrrrrrrgh!!!!"

Remembering her goal and repeating it like a mantra, Yuna swung hard horizontally, seeming hellbent and determined to behead the damned demon with little regard to any injuries she may take throughout this whole fight. As long as she could get out alive and succeed in her endeavors ... that was her first priority.

" ...What now? What ... would I be looking at?" Fayth asked.

Shivini shook her head, frowning as she watched along with Jack and Yamichi. "Some crazy ass machine that Yuna is fighting and ... it seems that she has a new form. She's no longer Rose."

It was definitely an odd thought. She'd ask about why she was in her current state later. "Right now," Shivini added, "It seems she's actually in perhaps one of the best possible forms."

"Why? Who is she now?" Fayth asked.

"Getsu Fuhma. If you remember their ability, you'll understand why."

"Well .. yeah! But if she's really being forced to fight a mech as well as .... were you serious about Kozaky and Magical Scientist?"

"I'm afraid so. Why? Is that supposed to mean something?"

Fayth covered the blindfold as a new set of shivers began trailing through her body. "I ... I don't want to be right, but it's the only thing that makes any bit of sense. So ... back in my dimension, there is an ongoing war. The main enemy we're fighting ... he's been attempting to merge all of the dimensions." Fayth shakily moved her hands away, looking towards everyone. "If there truly are actual Duel Spirits .... I .... I think Leo ... is getting what he wants. I think that's a hint that this war here and mine .... are not going well at all."

A new surge of guilt shot through Fayth. Now she wanted to leave again ... if only to try to help even the odds out.

Damnit all! Maybe if the old me were alive, I could feel better about that. But I can't just ...

"DAMNIT!" Fayth screamed out in frustration. Worse than not being able to go home was knowing that attempting to help Yuna and Hajime would be a suicide mission. As much as she loathed it .... she acknowledged and understood the best thing she could do was remain with everyone here. Which was exactly why she linked her arm back with Jack's ... just to make damn sure she didn't stand up and storm out of the house.

Yamichi did not know about the Dark Signers actually attacking children; yep, he was right there with Shivini in wanting them gone. All of them could go to hell! And what infuriated him more was that he had no way of directly helping Yuna or Hajime with their newest predicament.

Even more so when Fayth told them they had tried toattack and even apparently kill children....Did these guys honestly have no conscience? People talked about immortality as a godsend of a trait, but if it turned people into those kinds of monters? Yamichi was more than just fine having a limited shelf life, a sentiment echoed by Jack. "Just because they're immortal they think they're Gods on Earth...But this shows they're nothing more than honorless bastards."

But the next news was any less welcome; and unfortunately, Yamichi had no idea exactly what was said....But based on the look of sorrow and regret? The tears on her cheeks? Yamichi knew. "He's gone....We were too late...." he would say, his face falling even more. He could only quietly set the computer down...And then bury his head in his hands. Really, should he have expected anything less? No, but he was still praying...HOPING...that Hotsuma would come back.

Mei took the initiative once again, sitting beside the tech and holding him tightly, his muted sobs against her bosom and his tears staining her shirt a clear indicator of his grief; naturally the good natured medic said not a single word, letting him vent his sadness however he could.

Trance Demon too scampered away as the house collapsed, hiding behind some rubble as he was forced to listen to Yuna/Getsu engage against Kozaky and the Mad Scientist along with their giant machine. "Hah! A battle means survival, no matter the price! The only thing honor does is make people throw their lives away for nothing! Anything to tip the balance in one's favor is only logical!" Kozaky said. "So yes, I will use whatever I can to win! You can call it whatever you like, but so long as you die the ends justify the means!"

The battle raged on, Yuna/Getsu actually getting close with her blade swing as she charged the exposed Kozaky; however, a barrier would deflect her strike, the shield arcing as it was made clear for just one moment before returning to transluscence. "Did you honestly think I would be so foolish as to leave myself exposed?! You're as moronic as your fellow Demon Hunters!" he would say; at this a massive electrical discharge would surge through her, the entire surface of the mech arcing with veritable lightning.

Whether or not she dodged it, Kozaky was back on the move; inside the Mad Scientist cackled with glee, opening up new displays. "You're welcome for the targeting improvements, Kozaky! Try the upgraded missile batteries!" the researcher's voice played through loud and clear, Kozaky shouting "A splendid idea! Let's send Getsu out with a bang!"

At this four pods of comically large missiles opened up, the massive mech flexing its upper body as the first battery launched, three rockets aiming right for her. "Run, run as fast you can!" he shouted gleefully, missiles exploding all around her as she might try to dodge them.

Meanwhile, Trance Demon was trying to move and find another spot...When he noticed the demon corpses from earlier. There was a way, but his human part got quite nauseous. "Hate...Hotsuma....But hate demons more....Bastard...Be grateful...." Trance Demon said lowly, his serrated teeth baring themselves as he chomped down. The taste was vile...Literally like eating ass, but even so, he ate....And ate.

A dark miasmic energy began to roll over him, his once frail form beginning to grow...Larger and larger, his pathetic shriveling wings becoming more alive, more befitting of a true Demon. Each muscle fiber pulsed with power, his height easily doubling, tripling even! Horns, once nonexistent and nub-like, quickly grew and curled, his teeth becoming sharper and his claws fingers thickening. Those giant red eyes turning a deep shade of yellow.

If Hajime was near, he would see the whole process go underway while Yuna/Getsu would battle against the many weapons of the giant Kozaky-themed battle machine. His yellow eyes scanned the ground near where the demon corpses were....And found what he was hoping he would find. One of the Demon's Axes, crafted from the hellsmiths that fashioned the demon's armor and weapon. A weapon bound by souls in perpetual torment. Their fury directed into the hellish blade, every ounce of rage and hatred honing its edge to impossible sharpness and toughness.

The now-massive Trance Demon felt the power surge through him as his fingers gripped the haft....Before he would set his sights on Hajime himself, footfalls heavy as he approached, his figure massive, easily capable of now killing the young man....But instead of doing so, he extended the weapon to Hajime, wordlessly motioning for him to take. "If we are to help Yuna....You will need this to combat Kozaky." he would say, his voice much clearer and deeper.

Jack could only hold Fayth close, a hand coming up to comfort her by patting her head just as Mei was doing with Yamichi; the tech couldn't even watch anymore, the computer showing the carnage unfold. It would take some kind of miracle for neither of them to be killed if this war was to be won by them.

Further on, Kozaky was utilizing every bit of his formidable arsenal to push Getsu into a corner. Mostly missiles, but whenever she might get close he would swing with the hammer and drills along with the clampers. "I see your movements haven't slowed a bit! But I'm not the same Kozaky as I was before! With my new friend, I've made some improvements! Now then! Get a taste of this!" The machine's massive mouth hinged open, revealing some kind of focusing lens....And as it started to glow, it was more than obvious what it was: A giant laser cannon.

*TSHOOOOOOW!*

A blast of luminal-speed energy struck just in front of where she might land, hyperigniting the surface and causing a massive explosion, sending her careening to the ground in a heap...And with surprising quickness, one of Kozaky's clampers crashed down around her, pinning her to the earth and squeezing tight, only her head and feet now visible. "Tough luck...You were stupid to challenge us alone, even if your little butter spreader can kill demons with a single strike!"

At this the Mad Scientist cackled within the hull, "And how kind of your little boytoy to lend us what little remains of his spirit energy! Even with only scraps left behind, he has quite the reserve!" At this the drill arm sped up, whirring loudly. "There won't be a repeat of last time, Getsu. This time, I will personally ensure your demise!" And with this, the drill descended rapidly "Say hello to your clansmen! And goodbye forever to the Fhuma clan!"

However, before the drill would make impact...Getsu would get to see a massive figure dash in front of her. A sickly crunching sound was heard, the drill-bit penetrating the torso of her rescuer. It was in fact Trance Demon...Only much larger. The drill penetrated all the way through, splattering Getsu's face with sickly purple-red ichor. "What?!" Kozaky said, shouting at his co-pilot, "Up the rotations! Push through!"

The drill indeed tried to move...But Trance Demon sunk its new claws into the metal, grunting as the weapon tried penetrating further, his powerful legs flexing to keep Getsu from having her face mangled. The gears groaned with effort, smoke and electricity starting to spark and sputter from the joints. "No more....Kozaky! What you have done....To us.....To Dark World....You...Are unforgivable!" Trance Demon grunted, blood seeping from the corners of his mouth, leaving the arm that held Getsu in place an easy striking target for the yet-unknown second aid.

"Yes and no. It's ... not in the exact way you're assuming. He ... " Shivini latched onto her lower lip as she snuck a sideways glance towards Fayth. "You know, your blindness is kind of handy right at this moment."

"Huh?"

"Because ... you wouldn't want to see what I'm about to say. So ... if you zoom in and aim at the center of that mech ... you'll see Hotsuma .... and the exact state he's in."

Regardless of whether he'd heed her words or not, Shivini would add in, "He's literally only alive because his heart is still there. But .... almost everything else is ... gone."

"Gone?"

"Vivisection ... that's been his fate apparently. And ... they've removed too much, unfortunately."

"Vivisection ...??" Fayth repeated, unable to hide a fearful whimper as she now practically clung to Jack, as if fearing someone would find this place and drag her away to do exactly that to her. Her head was spinning. Every time she thought this mess of a war couldn't get worse, something or someone found a way to prove Fayth wrong. Sora forcefully extracting her eyes ... that had been horrible enough as it was. But to think there were people just as cruel as him ... possibly even worse? She hadn't been this scared, not even on that fated day of becoming blind.

"So Yamichi ... after this ... assuming she pulls through? She's .... going to ... finish what they've started. A mercy killing for a lack of better wording."

"It's ... that bad?" Fayth asked, only for Shivini to nod stoically at her. "I meant it when I said his heart is one of the few things he still has left. All of his limbs ... gone. Half of his face has been removed, his chest is still open ... and Hajime's probably right. If Mei were there, she'd likely be able to confirm some of his other organs are gone. It's as he said .... Hotsuma is effectively a corpse as things are now."

"Dear fucking god," Fayth murmured in a whisper. "This is .... way too fucked up." Her head lowered as she listened to the ongoing fight. It was the closest she could do to watch and .... there weren't any indications that things were going horribly. That was a sign, no matter how small or hopeful.

Please let them come back, Fayth internally begged, barely fighting back her own set of tears. She wanted to believe that after all Yuna had also endured, she would find a way to win this fight. She literally had to .... maybe not for her own sake, but everyone else here? Most definitely.

Fuck!

Hajime darted out of the way as the house collapsed, his heart now beating wildly. He gritted his teeth and looked frantically around. Goddamnit, that's not even a fair fight! But I can't go empty-handed either, so .... fuck! Oi, Trance! Got any ... ??

But before he could finish his train of thought, he turned at no doubt the worst possible moment. He was devouring one of the demon corpses nearby.

.... What in .... what are you doing exactly?

The gesture of the ax being handed over was all he needed to care about. That plus the seemingly newer and stronger form implied he'd found a way to strengthen himself. Hajime nodded, even gave a polite bow of his head before taking the ax.

Thank you. I'll definitely make this count.

They had already had far too many close calls with losing both Hotsuma and Yuna as it was. Knowing one leader would have to die tonight ... no. No fucking way would he just allow Yuna to join Hotsuma in Death. Not if he could help it.

Noticing the look in Trance Archfiend's eyes ... he nodded. The demon clearly had a plan. So ... he followed, but didn't immediately go inside of the house. Instead, he allowed Trance to go in, watching from behind one of the still barely standing walls and waiting for his opportunity to arrive.

Yuna, meanwhile, was doing a lot better than even she expected. Not because she was incompetent or anything. But between being in a new body plus dodging a multitude of unexpected and unorthodox weapons, she was rather proud of herself.

" .... Are you fucking kidding me?" she mused, originally staring at the laser beam at first.

"Idiot, don't just stand there! MOVE!"

Fortunately with Getsu in control, she was able to make Yuna avoid what would have otherwise been a very painful death ... or injury, depending. Either way, it most definitely would have led to her losing this fight. But then ....

"Ahhhh!"

Yuna tightened her grip, refusing to outright drop the sword. What had even hit her? She didn't know, but as her sight adjusted? She realized it did not matter. There was something far more important to worry about. Namely in the form of the claw now wrapped around her, ready to squeeze the life out of her or just simply break her in half. She squirmed and struggled, grunting and growling angrily as she tried to slip out from underneath. But ... her efforts were to no avail, which made her own body begin to shake.

This can't be it! I ... no! I don't wanna die!

Her eyes closed as the drill made its way towards her head.

... Except ... nothing happened? As Kozaky heard him talking to someone else, her eyes slowly opened. And she found herself looking up at .... was that really Trance? It seemed to be, but .... what a change. And how had that happened?

Well, it's not like crazy shit hasn't been happening for a while, she mused to herself.

There it is! Hajime decided, darting forward and running inside. He pulled the axe back, as if he were using a baseball. The bluenette made damn sure to line the blade up with Kozaky's neck, and then ..... he pulled the axe as hard and violently as he could. Yuna was now officially not the only person covered in blood, as quite a bit splattered all over Hajime's shirt and even his face.

But if he could ensure him and Yuna left alive? So be it.

Somewhat unfortunately for Kozaky though .... Hajime handled guns at most, and that was reserved for very desperate times. Axes? He'd never once touched. So the beheading was more painful than usual because he would feel every yank and tug as the blade continued to embed itself further and further into the demon's neck. But eventually ...

The process was complete, signaled by the head landing on the floor with a sickening thud. Giving Kozaky's body a kick to move him away, he then started sauntering towards the Magical Scientist.

You will .... no, actually? Never mind that.

Not wanting to take or risk the chance, Hajime ran quickly forward, refusing to give the other Card Spirit any chances to retaliate or harm him, if not worse. Once he got close enough, Hajime swung yet again, now beheading the Scientist as well. The process wasn't quite as slow compared to what Kozaky experienced, but it was just as brutal.

Soon, Hajime was standing, coated in blood and panting heavily. He bowed his head once again to Trance Archfiend before forcing the Scientist out of his seat and glancing down at the controls.

Alright .... Now ... let's see here ...

He scanned all of the buttons, looking for the one that would free Yuna.

"Oh, thank god," Shivini murmured barely above a whisper, causing Fayth to lift her head.

"Yuna's ... fine?"

"More than, yeah. Hajime and Trance Demon came up with quite the sneaky plan. But .... " A slight grimace formed over her lips. "Trance simultaneously gave himself up to help make this work."

Fayth finally started to calm down, but now she had her own grim look. In the span of ten minutes, give or take, two people were dead, one more was dying, and one ... was about to be killed the moment they got to him. This .... was their new reality ... unless they found a way to turn things around. This may not be the way she would have preferred to find and re-strengthen her resolve to help fight, but it worked all the same. Gone were the temptations and inner screams of wanting to run.

Granted, she did still feel a bit bad. But she also knew Reiji had his own reinforcements. Here? They were slim, and if her and the others were going to have any chance of turning this around ... she had to stay here. No matter how terrifying things got.

Trance Demon was barely able to hang on....But he did, he had to. For this to work; this would be the only way. The gears of this machine were a lot more sensitive than Kozaky let on, even if Trance or Hajime might not know it; by causing the drill to stop spinning, it caused a feedback that shattered the barrier around Kozaky himself, leaving himself quite open....And an easy target for Hajime, along with a central chamber malfunction that ejected the Mad Scientist and made him hit his head on the broken ground.

Kozaky was barely able to react as the machine jolted, only the corner of his eye able to catch the bluenette's movements. And unfortunately, he could not even scream in surprise; the blade of the unholy weapon cut into his throat, his tough demon flesh able to tank some of the hit...But not enough to avoid missing his critical areas. Even if Hajime could not behead him, blood loss would almost instantly follow. That or suffocating on his own life fluids from the amount draining into his very lungs, a very inconvenient necessity for inhabiting the mortal world.

His body flailed limply as the bluenette would saw, trying to cut and push through...Eventually the blade did cut all the way through the other side, the crazed researcher's head forcibly separated from his body...And then the sights were turned on the balding other researcher, who tried to scramble away as Hajime picked up his pace, soon the axe cutting into his much more slashable flesh, the young man having an easier time doing so as he too was killed.

And as Hajime might find the button, the pod containing what little was left of Hotsuma slid out, the glass shattering on the front and letting his remains spill in a gush of pinkish fluid onto the broken ground. The now-destroyed machine still had an active core it seemed, that heart of his - blackened and crusty from being that of the Emperor's - pulsing disgustingly on the ground.

By this point, Trance Demon had slouched....His body reverting back to its former pathetic self, dangling limply off the end of the drill bit that he had used his body to intercept. And for a second, he could see Hotsuma's eyes. Dull, glassy....But still having a hint of the light of life in them. "Hotsuma...." he would say, his voice also returning back to that cracking lower and higher-pitched tone, "You....Better goddamn...Win...."

And with that, his head lolled back....Those giant red eyes fading to a much duller crimson shade. His final purpose...Fulfilled.

Yamichi looked up as they mentioned Yuna had won...And indeed, the aftermath showed as much. Yamichi shook as they might all see the same scene: Mad Scientist and Kozaky were both dead....But that still meant Hotsuma likely wasn't going to make it.

"Damn it...Why did you have to go it alone...You fucking idiot...."

Mei pressed herself into Yamichi's back, saying "I'm sure he had his reasons...From what you've told me of him, he rarely did anything without one...Even if it might not be the best...." Yamichi nodded as fresh tears slid down his face, but that still didn't help seeing his boss...a man he genuinely loved....in such a state.

And admittedly...He was also shocked as he did see Hotsuma's state....So much so he couldn't even bear to watch, putting the computer back down and averting his eyes. Even Jack was feeling a bit reviled, looking visibly queasy, "So....That's him then.....Goodwin told me about him, but I thought maybe Sector was just telling tall tales. Trying to puff up their image....To think he could still be alive." His fists clenched, accidentally squeezing Fayth's side a bit before letting go, "Sorry...."

"Boy....Awaken...."

That was all Hotsuma heard, his spirit floating in free space; he was already on Death's doorstep, but the residual energy was keeping his soul bound to his very much skeletal remains. He was still alive....If only because the barest of functions were keeping him that way. And before his floating incorporeal form, stood a massive...bird-like being.

"Who....Are you?" Hotsuma asked, the bird-like being responding, "I am that which was fated to combat the Signers...But not in this way. This way is barbaric. Our Duels were meant to be had with honor; it is the Demon Emperor's fault all this has transpired. And despite my warnings, he had me sealed away....And the rest of the Gods fell further into their madness." Hotsuma seemed confused, "I don't get it...why would someone who wants to destroy the world care about how it's done?"

The Condor sighed, "As you humans say: There is more than one way to skin a cat. The battle was supposed to be between only two of us, the strongest of the Light and the Dark, with the victor deciding the fate of the world. But Ignacious' scheming has tipped the scale into chaos. Even now, his plan is coming to fruition; he plans to unseal me, use me as the conduit to bring about the ruination of this realm. And from here, begin conquering everything until he rules it all."

Hotsuma could only motion rubbing his head, an instinctive motion even if he couldn't actually touch anything, "I knew he was a bastard...But to go this far...." Wiraqocha just said as his wings gave a powerful flap, "There is a way that you can help prevent this....But it will require you to die." At this Hotsuma just laughed, "And that's a bad thing? I think even you can sense I'm basically a heart and brain right now....That shithead Emperor took everything else." At this the giant bird got closer, his form dwarfing that of Hotsuma, "Then what say we take it back....Take it all back? Surely you want revenge for what he has done? How he has used you? Tried to make Yuna lose faith?"

Hotsuma nodded and replied, "You bet your fucking ass I do....Now I just hope Yuna can do what needs to be done....I won't lie, being like I am now...Really fucking hurts. But....I suppose that's the least I deserve...I didn't want them in this mess...Not at all.".

Shivini stared down at the screen, continuing to monitor everything going on. Part of her very seriously considered gently taking it away from Yamichi and shutting it off. However ... if only to ensure no other demons nor any of the Dark Signers arrived, she left it alone. Instead, her attention shifted to Jack and Fayth as she looked towards both of them.

"If you both want, or for that matter need, to spend the night here, you may. The food rations are ... not quite scarce, but they're not the most, either. Still, if either of you want any food, I can go cook something. I already ate .... somewhat thankfully. I'm not sure if I could have an appetite at this moment."

"I ... don't know about myself having an appetite either. However ... if only to keep my strength up ... if you really wouldn't mind ... please do. Staying though ... I'm not sure. I'll discuss that with Jack."

Shivini gently rubbed one of Fayth's shoulders, signaling she'd moved in front of her. "I don't mind at all. We're helping you. Allies. It's one of the least things I can do for you." Before she exited the living room, however, she turned and glanced over towards Yamichi. "Soon ... I think you should consider getting in touch with Ling. The more people with us, the better. And .... I haven't forgotten who she is to you, so I can understand you not feeling the best about that. But I mean ..." A sly grin appeared on her lips as she gave a sideways nod to Jack. "She did beat him for a reason. And besides ... after that attack from the theater? I think she'll be eager to help out, actually. But ... I'll leave that up to you to figure out."

After hearing or seeing his response while also noting Jack's response, Shivini would exit the living room.

Fayth, meanwhile, was finally calming down a lot quicker. In fact, she barely noticed the squeezing of her sides, though when she did register them? She simply flashed Jack a small smile, letting him know she wasn't going to complain about that. It hadn't been intentional, and they both knew as much. The gentle pats to her head helped, as did just simply being close to Jack. There were the added facts like knowing both Yuna and Hajime had lived and would be back soon. Admittedly .... a selfish part of her wanted to stall and make certain she was around when Yuna returned, but .... no.

More likely than not, she and Jack needed to return after eating. She'd at least be that selfish, but should she leave before Yuna returned? There was always the knowledge she'd be aiding them in the upcoming fights. That was its own reassurance and, hopefully, blessing.

After both Hotsuma and Yuna were freed, Hajime tossed the axe onto the ground. He gulped slightly, staring down at his hands which also had their own coats of blood.

I .... really ...

"You had to. Had you not killed them, we all may very well be dead."

His head lifted as he found himself looking up at Yuna ... still fused in Getsu's body, but the voice? It was all hers for now. Yuna gently placed a hand upon Hajime's cheek, lightly stroking it. "I don't hate you. Hell ... none of you guys hated me when you watched me shoot those Sector pricks way back when. So no. I'm not going to be a hypocrite like that."

No sooner than Yuna turned and forced herself to look at Hotsuma did tears swiftly resume falling down her face. "Do I really have to?" she mused in a shaky voice. She then looked back over towards Hajime, managing to add a new thought that entered her head, "If ... if you were in his spot ... would you try to live? Would you hate me if I killed you?"

Nope. If anything, I'd be more furious if you forced me to keep suffering. I mean .... what could I even do? Hold you? Nope. Speak? Barely from the looks of it. One of the few things I could do is kiss you and that's going off the assumption you leaned down so I could do so at all. But otherwise? Yuna .... there is literally nothing he can do like this.

Yuna whimpered, gritting her teeth tightly. "I'd feel better if he told me this himself ..."

Killing Sector officers was one thing, and a feat Yuna would gladly do all over again if needed. But killing someone she genuinely loved and cared for? She never imagined being forced to do this. Her head shook as she set the blade down so her hands could cover her face. "I don't want to ...."

You have to. It's as he said .... if nothing else, keep him from suffering, from being in agony. In fact, you put yourself in Hotsuma's place. Would you want to live like that?

" .... No. No, I ... I guess not."

Yuna's head bowed in defeat as she retrieved the blade and slowly made her way towards Hotsuma ... what was left of him. Carefully, she knelt beside him and lightly placed a hand upon his hair. Slowly, she weaved her fingers through any remaining black locks.

I'm sorry to rush you, but don't take too long. The last thing we need is to be walked in on and kept from going through with this mission.

Yuna merely nodded, acknowledging Getsu's words but keeping her focus on Hotsuma.

"I'm so sorry ...." she whispered. "We took too long. That's on me ... is what I'd love to say, but .... damnit, if you'd seen me ... seen how long I was stuck in that fucking coma .... I'd like to think you'd forgive me. I'm sorry for thinking you turned your backs on us. That was fucking stupid of me. But perhaps more than any of those? We didn't leave on the best of terms, and ..... "

The words got stuck in Yuna's throat as tears continued streaming down, some falling on Hotsuma's chest and even trailing to the still beating heart.

"I know once upon a time ago, I almost ended you. But I really ... truly ... didn't take any pleasure in that. I ... take even less with it now so .... "

Slowly, Yuna forced herself to her feet, raising the blade and hovering it over Hotsuma's heart. "I swear .... I'm finding a way to help the Signers out. No fucking way ... will I let this world turn into a literal Hell. And Ignacious, the Emperor, whatever name he goes by? He is absolutely going to pay. No matter what it takes ... I will find a way."

Her arms began to tremble and it was clear she was fighting herself. Wanting to go through with what had to be done ... and yet clearly trying frantically to come up with some miracle, some sort of alternative.

Right before Getsu could take control of Yuna and make her thrust the blade down ... she finally did so on her own.

"I love you, Hotsuma ...." Yuna whimpered, the sobs now becoming uncontrollable as she forced herself to watch as the heart slowed ... and finally stopped. The red hair and armor all vanished, replaced with Yuna's natural appearance. She looked frantically around .... wanting to believe she'd merely been in a very fucked up nightmare. But from her eyes landing on a bloody Hajime to seeing Trance also dead, Hotsuma's captors, and now her ex-lover ... she knew that wasn't the case. Not knowing what to say or do ... she simply allowed her instincts to kick in as she threw her head back and let out a long scream that, were anyone not watching or around, one would think Yuna had been the one getting killed.

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Wordlessly, Hajime hoisted Yuna up into his arms. He doubted that by itself would make anyone come over here ... but he definitely didn't want to test that theory out. And so .... he ran. All while keeping Yuna in his arms so she could grieve and let her anger, sorrow, and frustrations all out.

It was exceptionally hard to watch. This was supposed to be a heroic rescue....The wayward leader of the Disciples saved from his hell by his lover. Someone he still did love very much....Someone the Emperor hurt. Perhaps not as physically as him, but even more so emotionally. Now...Her task was to kill that which she was meant to save.

And though Hotsuma couldn't speak? Couldn't move what remained of his face? He did forgive her...And just as much, perhaps even more than she wished to hear it from, he wanted to tell her. So very badly; if anything, he would beg her forgiveness for putting her in this situation. It was his own rage after Miyamoto died that allowed the Emperor to take such control, blinded by overbearing hate for Security and their wretched ways that he lost focus on who exactly Divine had made sure he was bonded to.

Everything that had happened between them after his brother was dead and had been buried...it was played by the Emperor. Even Akiza's rescue when they had gone to retrieve Hajime and Yamichi....That wasn't him. And for better or for worse, his last bit of control surrendered after Yuna nearly died at the hands of a possessed Takeshi. The Emperor of the Demons had played him like a fiddle, and were it not for Hotsuma's last acts of desperation Yomi would have crumbled much sooner.

But he had succeeded in this regard: He made finding the Disciples' boss less of a priority, enough time made to ensure his plan could reach fruition with minimal interference.

In every way imaginable, Hotsuma was the Emperor's perfect vessel....And as Yuna drove her blade through his transplanted heart, his eyes widened...Only for a fraction of a second, before long dulling. And with that, Yuna had done what even Sector's best could not: She had killed the Demon of the Satellite. Though there was no joy to be had....Her sole ally with her at the moment having to carry her away, leaving what little remained of Hotsuma behind.

One Demon was dead...Now one remained.

"I won't turn down food....But.....As Fayth said...We shouldn't linger. Crow is waiting on us to tell him what happened. And I doubt with everything else going on....He'll be overly enthused, even if he might understand that there was nothing anyone could have done about it." Jack chimed in.

But then the screen turned, Yamichi still hiding his face; he couldn't bear to which....And when the audio did play over the speaker? Even Jack's eyes watered....And poor Yamichi just lost it, practically running out of the room as he tore himself from Mei's embrace and into one of the adjacent rooms, slamming the door behind him. Mei wanted to chase after him...But that would be counterproductive, her own hazel eyes misting up as she took off her glasses. "Poor Yuna..." she would mutter. She knew Yamichi didn't hate Yuna...Given the man's state, even with her skills there was nothing that could be done to save him.

Jack actually sniffled, saying "This....is unreal..." He was honestly at a loss for words; what the hell could even be said here? Yuna had to end the life of a man she clearly loved...Someone who might possibly hate her for what she did.

Everyone would see the screen go black; the last camera operational in the Satellite was gone. Now all they had to do....was wait for Yuna to return.

"She did it...." Hotsuma said, the pain wracking through his soul finally ceasing, that last thread severed. He felt free as a bird....Ironically since he was standing right in front of one...Even if not literally so. More like floating. This was trippy as hell.

"Erm...So, what exactly happens now?" Hotsuma asked, but before Wiraqocha could answer, a third voice popped in.

"Brother....Do you really have to do this?"

Hotsuma looked over, seeing the spectral form of his elder brother. "Miyamoto?" Hotsuma asked, Moritsune's face one of sadness as he said, "Haven't you done enough? You played your part....Let Yuna and the others handle the rest." Hotsuma stared at his brother, frowning a bit as he replied, "Nee-san...You know I can't. Everything that happened to them is my fault...And if I have to risk damaging what remains of my soul to do it, then I'm going to. I already failed you....I'm not failing Yuna, or Yamichi...Or Takeshi! Or Hajime or Eikichi or Shivini! Or Doc Mei and anyone who might have died at the hands of that bastard Emperor! He took everything from me....Because I was weak. He used me...Isolated me....And I couldn't be there to protect them."

At this Miyamoto stood close, "Because you wear your heart on your sleeve...That's not weakness, Hotsuma. Didn't you break the Emperor's hold over the demons at Yomi? Didn't you free the Commander's mind to save Yamichi before Yomi fell? You have to remember that you did protect them...Everything you did was always to protect them...." Hotsuma shook his head, "Not everything...I abandoned them after you died. I wanted....I wanted closure....Hell, I wanted revenge! And look where it got me! Look at what my selfishness did to Yuna! To everyone I cared about!"

If Hotsuma could shed tears he would...But Miyamoto just smiled, "Hotsuma...This is why you shouldn't go back. Besides....Your soul is badly damaged from everything you did do....Even with what little aid I tried to provide, you bore the brunt of the effort yourself. If you go back....Your soul could be completely destroyed."

"On that he is correct, young one...But also keep in mind that their numbers are dwindling. And if we are to stop the Emperor, you will need my help." Wiraqocha chimed in, Moritsune looking at the giant bird with a glare, but Hotsuma floated in front of Moritsune, "Brother...Even if my soul is destroyed, I need to do something. Even if I might not reach the afterlife...Isn't this one shot worth taking? You tried so hard to get me out of the Satellite and into the Tops; you nearly had your body destroyed from how badly Sector beat you. So...Please...Let me do this. You earned your rest...Now let me earn mine..."

Miyamoto wanted to argue, but even he knew that would be futile. "Alright....But I want to see you in the next life, Hotsuma..." Extending his spectral fist out, Hotsuma would mirror the action even though neither of them could feel it. And with that, his elder brother's soul vanished....Finally able to move on for good. He had done everything he could to aid his little brother...Now it was on him.

"Alright big man..." Hotsuma would say, spreading his arms and saying "Take me." The Markings of the Condor began to glow, Wiraqocha saying as his voice grew louder, their energies binding together, black feathers falling down now around them in this empty space, "Embrace eternity, Hotsuma Oboro....Take your vengeance against the one you despise the most! With this pact, we shall kill the King of Demons!"

Back in the human realm, with Yuna now gone completely, his remains left alone as the carrion-feeders began to descend, the destroyed heart twitched....Before long giving a loud 'thump' as it was forcibly severed, the now disembodied head sprouting energy from the neck, forming into a deep purpleish mist as it coalesced, forming into a body of dust and stone and energy, the actions making the scavenger birds caw and fly away in terror. More mist pulled out, forming into a long black cloak, shirt and pants of the same color. His criminal mark too becoming stained like onyx, his flesh reforming as he was remade, reanimated.

And with that, his eyes opened, the whites darkened to a shade that even the night itself could not match the irises a brilliant color of amethyst....And while no one would know about this just yet....Well, they might just very soon.

Last edited:

Just when it seemed like everything had been relaxed, Fayth was proven wrong with one last, unexpected thing. The unmistakable noise of a blade swinging down, but worse than that? The pained scream that quickly reverberated from Yuna. And it wasn't just one that was brief either. No, it lasted a good forty-five seconds to an entire minute.

"Yuna .... " she whispered softly, a new set of tears falling from underneath the blindfold. Even during their captivity in The Facility, she'd never heard Yuna let out those types of cries. But now that she had? It was something that would likely never leave her memory, simply because of how impactful it'd been.

" .... They better just kill me if it comes down to that. I couldn't ... not even if it was necessary .... "

A low chuckle followed by a few sniffles from Fayth were heard.

"It never ceases to amaze me .... to keep seeing and hearing how strong she is."

Before she could finish elaborating, however, a new sound echoed throughout the house. It came in the form of Yamichi's footsteps, followed by a loud slamming the door with every ounce of strength he could muster. Unfortunately, it was more than enough for Fayth to very easily hear how loud he'd managed to force the door shut. She rubbed her ears .... before lifting her head as she realized she wasn't the only one reacting to this.

Of all the things she'd 'seen' and heard from Jack, genuine tears hadn't been one of them. He'd gotten close to them during his duel against Carly, but this? This pushed him to a limit that Fayth assumed, but had never known, existed within him. Not caring enough that he definitely was taller than her, Fayth gently placed her hands on Jack's shoulders and guided his head to her own shoulders. She then proceeded to wrap her arms around him.

.... Are we going to be the next couple forced to ... ??

Her head shook adamantly. She didn't want to think about that at all. In fact, grim as it was ... some part of her was now fine with accepting the possibility of running into Kiryu, if only because he wouldn't likely play those kinds of games with her. Or .... she didn't think he would. At worst, the death would be slow, but .....

Shut up! she screamed at herself, her tears falling faster as she Fayth's body resumed trembling against Jack. "It is," she finally whispered in Jack's ear. "But ... all more the reason to end this. So no one else .... has to be forced to take the life of someone they love, because .... I seriously couldn't. Not with anyone .... but especially you."

In the kitchen ... Shivini was indeed crying as well. But she was trying her damnedest to focus on the meal she promised to give Jack and Fayth. Just like she hinted, it wouldn't be anything overly fancy, but it'd at least suffice in giving them both enough physical strength to return to wherever they were staying. Mental and emotional strength ... that was another story.

But given how long they'd been with one another, as well as how close they appeared to be? She felt confident they could figure something out.

She was in the midst of plating the eggs and bacon when the door opened. And that would be when Hajime would come in with a very red-eyed, slightly trembling, but otherwise unmistakable Yuna. She was about to call out to Shivini, but stopped as her eyes first found Fayth and Jack. "That's .... really you two, right?" she asked, her voice barely above a whisper.

As if a new weight had been removed from her shoulders, Yuna slumped to the floor, quickly being caught by Hajime before her head slammed against the wooden surface.

"It's ... more than okay, Hajime. Just .... before this .... there had been zero hints about any of the Signers being alive. Prior to Aki contacting us, that is."

"Aki?" Fayth repeated. "She's ... alive?"

"Apparently, yes. And given the message she gave me ... I think I understand well enough how she knew about this." Taking a moment to wipe any lingering tears away, Yuna glanced down at herself ... before raising a finger up. "After I change real quick. Give me a minute or something. Truly though .... I'm very relieved to see you both." As she began walking away, she tugged lightly on Hajime's arm. "You too. You can't be looking like your own mess as my second. I refuse that."

Hajime flashed Yuna a coy smile before walking away with her, allowing himself to be led away. Though not before giving Jack and Yuna a wave.

Moments after the two left, Shivini would come in, who was wearing a surprised expression as she glanced towards the direction Yuna and Hajime had headed off to. " ... If I didn't know better, I'd think nothing dire had happened. But ... Hajime's probably been reassuring her the whole way back. Maybe even Getsu now that she's taken up that form. Anyway ... "

Somewhat reluctantly, Fayth would let go of Jack and take the plate handed to her. She gave Shivini a polite bow of her head before beginning to eat.

"Okay, so ---" Both the footsteps and voice indicated Yuna had finished changing and Jack would be able to confirm that was indeed the case. Even the blood that had landed on her face was gone. Hajime would come in tow, also cleaned up and changed.

"You sure you don't want to rest, Yuna?" Shivini asked.

She doesn't want to, but then again? When she relayed what she wanted to bring up ... it is important. Not just for them, but all of us too.

" .... Okay, so ... wh-what now? What else could there be?"

"You may wanna sit for this." And only after her third complied did Yuna start gathering her thoughts. Her eyes briefly closed as she let out a deep breath. "So .... while we were heading towards that area ... Aki contacted us."

"Aki?"

Yuna nodded, "She was rushed ... clearly in pain. But she said ... Hotsuma wasn't himself. The Emperor has been acting as him. Between that plus ... how ... well, how he was found ..." Yuna's fists clenched, "It means .... that fucking demon is probably somewhere out there, posing as Hotsuma!"

"So ... you're saying another Duel Spirit is ... out there?"

Yuna nodded, gritting her teeth. "Alive and well enough for now. And since Aki didn't sound like she was in the best shape .... probably with them. Those fuckers have a literal demon helping them out as far as I can tell." Her fists relaxed as Yuna took one more breath. "There is a silver lining ... and it comes with my new form. I know that as Yutsu, I can handle him, but .... "

Yuna's eyes furrowed as she sighed.

"That's as far as I've gotten for now. We'll talk more about that later. But I figured, especially while you guys are here, I'd give you that heads up real fast. I'm sorry if I ruined your appetite."

Fayth smiled as she shook her head, setting her plate down atop the table. She followed Yuna's voice ... and gave the leader of Yomi a tight hug. "I'm so glad you came back fine. We were all worried sick when we saw that ... machine form."

"I am too."

A brief pause lingered ... before Yuna voiced an idea. "Wherever you guys are heading back to - you seem to have that feel and look about you both - feel free to suggest a meeting. Between all of us, Signers or allies of. There's a lot we all need to discuss and plan because ... this is going to affect all of us in the end."

Fayth nodded at the idea. It was a sound and no doubt one of the better plans she could have heard at that moment.

"For now though ..." Yuna would gently move Fayth's arms away. "I'm tired. Drained to all Hell. I'm gonna pass out. Please ... get back safely."

And with that, they would be left with Shivini and Hajime, the latter likely still running on what adrenaline he had left more than much else. Shivini grimaced ... then sighed. "That ... is definitely going to be quite the problem indeed if she's right." Another sigh ... followed by a groan as she massaged her forehead. "Breaking this to Yamichi is going to royally suck. But .... we're gonna have to."

If this was ever a picture for what hopelessness looked like...Well, this was pretty damned close, Jack thought. But there was no need to voice that, and honestly his pride wouldn't really allow him to admit as much anyway. "Yeah....I figure if her underlings are as strong, she must be exceptionally tough herself." Jack would say, just able to listen as the others might discuss what else to do. Before long, Shivini would go into the kitchen, able to find some leftover supplies; the fact that there was food at all meant someone restocked it recently...But who?

Feeling Fayth tremble, he too would embrace her, giving a nod as she voiced the need for this to end. And soon enough, Yuna came back....Looking like she was put through the ringer. But no one in their right mind would blame her; what she experienced would have almost certainly broken anyone else beyond repair. There was nothing that could be said; if anything, mere talk would be a disservice. Only action would suffice now, action and planning.

The Dark Signers....And the Demons for that matter...certainly had a lot to answer for. And it was coming time for them to pay it in full. Jack wanted to ask as they ate...But he looked around and saw the house. Much as he wanted to help Crow....This place was too small. And with so many kids it might just make them a bigger target. So....They would have to go back with only the grim news of Yomi's destruction.

Besides....Given her loss, this place might be the best place, especially if Yuna was going to follow through on her desire to enact revenge against the Emperor. But he was in fact surprised to hear that Akiza was alive as well, his eyes widening; he had a sense she was powerful, but the fact that she was captured? That was more than a little disheartening. Who knew what they were going to do with her; hopefully, she could hold out.

"I think....If we do plan a meeting....One of our goals should be to free Akiza. I've seen her battle, her strength is useful...And if that gets turned against us...We're sunk." Jack would say, nodding as the little get-together came to an end for the time-being. "We will....Let's just hope Crow takes the news alright. Be well."

And with Fayth's help, the pair would head out to the shed, retrieving Crow's Runner....Before taking off and heading back.

The ride back was silent...Jack was trying to keep calm but his nerves were just....frazzled. This was far and beyond what he expected...But then what did he expect? This wasn't something that was exactly covered on his rise to the top of the Dueling Circuit. And this was really only dumped on him a week or so ago. This wasn't anything anyone should have to face in their lifetime. But even with that, he remembered how he scolded Fayth about wanting to run...And used that to reinforce his drive.

Even so....That wouldn't make this next part any easier. As they pulled up to Crow's house, already he could see several kids staring out the window. "Fayth...No matter what, try to play it calm alright? I know that's asking a lot given what happened...But we need to not cause the kids any alarm okay?" Jack would ask of her; granted he had a clue she wouldn't attempt to dishearten them, but if he could spare any one any more bad news, he would take the chance.

"Jack...." he would hear Rua say, the green-haired young man looking up as he had walked out of the house. "Rua...Where's Crow?" Jack would ask, Rua pointing back into the house, "About to boil some ramen...Any word on the new place?" Jack faltered, not expecting him to ask about that right away. "Rua..." Jack would start to say, but Rua's eyes fell, "I see...They got to them too. You should tell Crow..." At this he then looked to Fayth, "Fayth, some of the other kids have been asking about you. They wanna hear some stories about your tournament battle against the New Queen. We managed to get a radio working where they're looping replays of former Duels. I think a few even want to challenge you." This was said with a slight smile, Rua trying to busy himself by playing against the kids in cards and some old board games that Crow had managed to scavenge over the years.

And while that was going on, Jack would find Crow right where Rua said he was; the kitchen wasn't exactly far from the kids, given this house was so small, but the informatin had to be relayed. "Crow...." Jack would say, keeping his voice low as he would address his comrade. "Crow, there's no easy way to say this...But Yomi is gone. The Dark Signers destroyed it."

Fayth would stay quiet the entire ride back, her mind racing along with Crow's wheeler as she went over everything that had happened in the span of mere minutes. It'd all been so quick, too ... and yet, it felt like they'd been away for hours. Four ... four people had died, with two of them being allies. Yes, Fayth was indeed counting Trance Archfiend because, despite him being a demon, he had been one of the few to show they were fine assisting Yuna and Hajime. It was an odd way of finding out firsthand that, fortunately, not all demons were evil despite the stereotypes surrounding them. Simultaneously, it was reassuring in some ways ... if only for any potential future encounters with said creatures.

For now though ... she was starting to understand how Yuna felt because even though she wasn't at the scene of the fight, she was feeling drained. As if she had been there.

As the wheeler came to a halt, her head lifted off of Jack's back. She stretched her arms up above her head before lowering her hands and removing the helmet. As he began to speak, she looked up and made eye contact. "I'll try ... " she responded softly, setting the helmet down and proceeding to walk with him towards Crow's residence.

With any luck ... maybe she wouldn't need to talk. That was her hope because, frankly? She wanted to go to sleep too. However .... fate seemed to have other plans, and the first part was revealed when Rua answered instead of Crow. "Ah, hello Rua-kun! Good to hear you're back."

Thank fuck, at least something seemed to go right. Of course .... that was without knowing the other half of that story which neither her nor Jack knew. Yet.

Before she took too many paces away, her attention was grabbed by Rua. An eyebrow rose ... and she couldn't help but swell with pride when she heard the kids wanted to not only speak with her, but duel her also. "Heh, alrighty. But I hope they understand that I'm not gonna throw the duel away. Umm ... would you mind helping me get to them? I don't exactly know this place well enough to try walking by myself."

Fayth would give Jack a wave and genuine smile. Even if it was only a distraction ... it was a much needed one, and something that was making her feel hopeful enough for the time being.

"Ah, Jack! Welcome back!"

While Jack had certainly tried to heed his own advice ... there were still the smallest of hints. Namely his own fatigue ... and even a look that implied he was ... distraught? Definitely not the happiest because of ... something. And sure enough ... he was right. A frustrated growl that he managed to keep low enough from the kids resounded as his movements with the cooking quickened.

" .... I need to go somewhere else and punch something. Badly. I've been wanting to is the better wording, but ... I can't just leave them alone. Seriously though, haven't these fuckers taken enough?! First Ruka and now Yomi?!"

A frustrated huff elicited as Crow forced himself to calm down ... even if only just with the cooking so he didn't ruin the ramen. He then lifted his head ... and looked straight into the violet eyes, almost pleadingly.

"At least tell me they survived then. Don't you dare say they all got killed ... please. I don't think we could afford that type of disadvantage."

In fact ... if that was the case? It truly would be nothing short of a miracle for them to turn this war around. Not completely impossible, no. But it would be much, much more difficult without them as opposed to if they could have Yuna and some of the others siding with them. Doubly so now that Yusei had been murdered by Kiryu.

Rua would keep Fayth company with the young ones, essentially acting as a wingman for her. It was his way of trying to honor his sister's memory; she wouldn't have wanted them to experience his grief, his pain; and honestly? This was helping him feel a little better. It still hurt, knowing she was gone, but at least he was helping them to smile. And he was beginning to respect Crow a hell of a lot more; he'd been doing this for years now.

So much selflessness for kids who would have otherwise been forgotten...It was a burden few could bear alone. But maybe that was their way of paying him back for his kindness and willingness to shelter them: They kept him company, made sure he wasn't alone. A means to focus his effort and attention.

Meanwhile though, Jack was already regretting having to pass this on, making a silent motion with his lips to have the flame-haired lad keep his voice down. Granted, he wanted to very much curse up a storm too with all the bullshit. But that wouldn't do them any good...Not here, not now. And then Crow asked if there were any survivors. Something that made Jack's fist tighten.

"There were....."

That was all he said at first, taking a deep shuttering breath as he then added, "But it's not a lot. Six....Well....Five, actually. One of the leaders....One of their leaders was killed. Yuna survived, but the other Hotsuma...He didn't make it." Even now the image of Yuna taking Hotsuma's life played in his mind. Was it merciful? Yes. Needed? Definitely...That was still something they now had to deal with. Everyone was taking losses. And with two Signers on their side down for the count, well....

No one would think them crazy for thinking this was a stacked competition. The Dark Signers had a Demon Emperor, one so powerful he brought destruction and despair wherever he went.

"But...There is some good news. We found out one of the other Signers is still alive....Although, she's currently missing. It's a safe bet to assume....They have her. Akiza, the one with Black Rose Dragon. And we don't know where she might be."

Crow felt his heart quickly sink as Jack uttered the word 'were'.

.... No fucking way! No, no, no!

Thankfully, he confirmed not everyone was dead. However, it was correct to note that not all of Yomi and The Disciples were alive. And when the name he least expected to hear as someone who was deceased left his lips ... Crow quirked an eyebrow. "Hotsuma? You mean The Fiend, Hotsuma? Even he couldn't .... survive?"

His head slowly shook, disbelief entering his eyes.

"From the few times I met with Yuna, he seemed ... not quite invincible, but he definitely isn't a pushover. So knowing that .... damn .... "

He slowly shook his head, the shock managing to leave as a glimmer of hope emerged into his light green orbs. "Still ... if at least Yuna and any of her people are alive, that's definitely a start." A quick peek downward revealed the ramen was almost done. "We'll talk more after the kids eat and lay down. There's definitely a lot more questions I have and things that need to be talked over, but ... that can wait."

And when he brought up Aki ... that only solidified he was right in a very, very thorough talk needing to happen. "Yep. Definitely after dinner. But ... it is good to know that Aki's still alive also."

But .... why would she be with the Dark Signers? Were they not trying to kill all of the Signers? So ... why was she being spared? It was an odd thought ... and even if Jack and Fayth weren't completely certain about that answer, he now at least had a better idea on the exact situation at hand. Hopefully, though, more light could be shed after dinner.

"Alright! Time to eat!" he called out.

Fayth had been answering as many questions as possible and, sure enough, had been challenged. She promised a rain check, just because she truly was worn out and wanted to be at her best. It wasn't a complete lie, but it wasn't the full truth. Alas ... they also didn't need to know all of the other reasons. Fortunately, the mere thought of being able to duel against the runner-up of the Fortune Cup was a good enough incentive for those who had asked for a duel to wait.

And ... she was saved by the meal.

"Alright. Let's go, shall we? I doubt you all want your food getting cold."

"Are you going to join us, nee-san?"

Fayth tiled her hand as she stood up. "I'll be nearby, yes. But truthfully, me and Jack ran into some friends earlier and they cooked for us."

While the eggs and bacon weren't the most filling, she also remembered that above all else, this was Crow's place. Which meant the kids took priority. So, she would let them - and Rua if needed - eat. She was more than fine enough being in good company, be it the kids, Rua, Crow, or Jack for now. Within a few minutes after Crow had called for everyone, Fayth would arrive with the kids close behind. As Fayth found her way to Jack, one of the younger boys watched curiously ... and finally spoke up.

"You've probably heard this a lot, but ... are you really blind?"

"Yes, yes I am."

"So how'd you know where to go so easily?"

Fayth grinned and lightly put a hand on Jack's chest. "I can hear his pulse from here."

"Whoa, really! And you know that was Jack-nii-san just from that?!"

"Mhm. I'll answer more tomorrow. For now, focus on your meal, okay?"

Seeming satisfied enough with that response, the boy joined the other children and began digging into his ramen. Fayth, meanwhile, sat beside Jack and gently laid her head against his shoulder.

Jack nodded as Crow asked if Hotsuma was truly gone. "Yeah....But it...wasn't even the Dark Signers. I can explain more...But we should probably be more alone. Less chance for prying ears." It wasn't that he didn't think the kids couldn't handle it....It was more just an effort to try and keep them out of it as much as possible. They were already bombed quite literally just a few days earlier, they didn't need any more stress.

Once the food call happened, Rua was quick to help everyone alongside Judai in getting them all set. It was....Honestly a refreshing sight to see. Kids just being able to be kids. This is what they deserved. They didn't deserve a world torn by war, death and desperation; and Crow? He worked his ass off to make sure it stayed that way, no matter how many sleepless nights he had because of it. At the end of the day, it was all worth it...Especially since he had no family of his own.

Jack laughed as Fayth pointed she could hear his heartbeat; indeed, her senses were quite sharp, and it helped they had become much closer both physically and emotionally. Jack actually couldn't help but chuckle at this; though damn did it feel good to do so. Just having a reason to laugh...To put the reminder of their grim situation on the backburner, even if only for a moment.

However, then it was time to put the children to bed; Rua offered to volunteer, leaving Judai, Crow, Fayth and Jack to discuss what happened next. "Rua seems to have taken up the big brother role well." Jack said, Judai stating "Well, from what he's told me, he was basically his sister's primary caregiver. Doctor's appointments, medicine, cooking, you name it. He did everything for her....I think Crow has some competition for who could be the better older brother."

But....Then came the time they knew they had to do: Serious talk.

"Crow....I won't lie to you. Things look bad. I'm sorry we can't get the children somewhere safer. Granted we might be able to find somewhere with other caretakers. I know it's been a while since we've talked to her...But maybe she can take them in?"

Judai just blinked, "Martha? Who's that?" At this Jack just grimaced a bit, "Before we all went our separate ways....We stayed in an orphanage growing up. An elderly woman named Martha took care of us while we were growing up. In all the insanity, I'm ashamed to admit I forgot about her. And Crow? If you like, Fayth and I can ride...See if there's anyone still there. If we do....Then we can see about trying to meet back up with Yuna and formulate a more solid plan."

Crow looked the same as everyone else when they learned Hotsuma wasn't taken by Dark Signers, but rather, Duel Spirits. His interest had already been piqued before, but now? Now ... he definitely intended to have the talk afterwards. Because really ... who else could succeed in killing someone like Hotsuma of all people that wasn't the Dark Signers?

The laugh alone was more than enough to make Fayth grin. Her eyelids closed under the blindfold as she at least gave herself a few moments to relax. Because ... it was clear to see there were going to be few opportunities of serenity and peace like this. So while such an opportunity existed? Yeah, she'd embrace every single one that arrived.

"He hasn't beaten me yet." Crow managed to jest, wearing a sly smile.

.... Which, somewhat unfortunately ... vanished once Rua disappeared with the kids. The air surrounding the four quickly got tense,, and for damn good reasons. Fayth sat up straight, allowing everyone else to say their piece first so she could know what exactly was being discussed. By the time the name 'Martha' was uttered, she had a similar look that Judai likely had; one that silently asked the exact same 'Who?' inquiry Judai had already wondered about.

"Well, Jack," Crow stated, shaking his head at himself and even face palming himself, "You're not alone in feeling ashamed all of a sudden, because I ... didn't think about contacting her until now. I'm glad to at least hear Yuna didn't just reject the idea out of cruelty or anything. And, admittedly ... Martha might be a safer and smarter option, so ... yes. That sounds like a good plan. So ... what was this about Aki being captured?"

Now Fayth would speak up, though not before taking a deep breath. "So ... in order to properly explain this, we need to backtrack a bit. Yuna and Hajime were on their way to save Hotsuma, who was being held by Magical Scientist and Kozaky."

Although she couldn't see their expressions, Fayth could most certainly feel them. She nodded, continuing on, "You heard correct. I did mean to say the same Duel Spirits as per the respective cards. They had a monitor that acted as a TV and ... well ... Jack at least can confirm it was really them."

"Okay, but ... why would they want Hotsuma? And for that matter ... how did they get over here?"

Fayth paused to try to come up with any answers to either question. "The second ... is definitely unknown. Give me a bit for the first, as I at least have a theory on it. Anyway, while they were heading over, Aki contacted them both. And the message she gave ... was that Hotsuma wasn't himself. That Ignacious, his Emperor card, was taking on his form. And .... going off what I heard about the state the real Hotsuma was in? They were probably using the vivisection to .... transfer parts to The Emperor, to Ignacious."

" .... Vivisection?" Crow repeated incredulously.

Fayth sadly nodded. "His heart was one of the few things left, apparently. After confronting and beating Kozaky, a mech they created, and Magical Scientist .... Yuna had to ...."

And even though she didn't finish it, Crow grimaced, bowing his head in understanding. "If he was that bad, then ... there was no helping it."

Fayth rose a finger up, signaling she still had yet more to bring up. "We were kinda rushed over at Yuna's .... but while I don't have an answer for how they got here - not exactly - I do at least have a thought. And unfortunately ... it comes in the possibility that the war in my dimension is not going well. It means we're losing .... and Leo Akaba is getting closer to what he wants. The dimensions are being merged, whether any of us want it or not."

" .... So effectively, two wars are happening at the same time?"

Fayth nodded again, causing Crow to scowl and scoff angrily. "What bullshit," he muttered, managing to at least keep his volume low. "As far as having a meet up with Yuna and the others ... should we have them come here, or go to them?"

Jack was glad he wasn't the only one feeling like a dunce; with everything that happened? Things were all sorts of twisted. And frankly, he felt like a real heel. She had practically raised him, Crow and Yusei since they were kids! She should have been the first!

But, no use crying over spilled milk....As she once told them. In any case, they needed to see if Martha first was well enough; lord only knew what happened to her if the rest of the Satellite was like it was. And second was to try and locate Akiza, and if possible, get her out of wherever the hell the Dark Signers - or whoever had her - was keeping her.

Jack stayed silent as Fayth explained her thoughts; in truth, he knew nothing about whatever magic was at work here. Only that it was real and it needed to be stopped. "Seems that way. But for the moment, at the very least we're not fighting this Leo Akaba directly. That would be a more pressing issue having to deal with actual troops on top of the Dark Signers. And if it's any consolation, Yuna's lieutenant did manage to get rid of them...Though it did cost us one of the few Demons who was seemingly willing to help. So it's a win...But not one I would have personally liked."

Judai then took his turn, "If it's all the same....I think at least Crow should go meet with Yuna at her place....If only so the kids don't get involved. And if anyone does try anything...I'll stop them. Not like I'm alone." At this Yubel would also chime in, "Damn right; bad enough these Dark Signers are too chicken to go after anyone strong enough to put up a fight." It seemed Yubel was still a bit sore about Demak running away after he beat Ruka; that bloody coward better pray she never finds him.

Jack would nod, "If you don't mind manning the helm and Crow is okay with it, I think that too is the best course of action. Much as I just want to charge in and wreck their schemes....I know that would just be a bull-headed move. If we're going to do this, we need to be smart...And if Yuna's willing to help, I'm sure she would appreciate the chance to avenge Hotsuma."

Back at the Dark Signer's hideout, the ritual was nearing completion. The energy was so potent with four towers lit, Ignacious - still dressed in the skin of Hotsuma Oboro - stood over a vast and swirling vortex of energy. The source from which the energies of the Underworld flooded out; even now, Ignacious was even more at home. And yet...He seemed so...Quiet now.

In truth, he was fuming; he felt the boy's energy snap away from him, Hotsuma was now dead. "COME TO ME! WIRAQOCHA RASCA!" he would roar, his howls echoing in the room as the tendrils erupted from his body, diving into the vortex. Wriggling and writhing....And yet, hde felt nothing. It was as he had feared; the boy was dead, and the damned God had somehow slipped free of his prison....And if he had to fathom a guess? Hotsuma had taken him within himself, the Condor looking for a way to escape.

"Kozaky....If you are still alive, I will flay your flesh from your bones!"

"Hey, easy big guy..." said the voice of Kiryu, who had just opened the door to hear the Emperor screaming. "What's the ruckus about?" At this the Emperor snarled, "That damned God...And my damned former vessel!" At this Kiryu blinked, but then he heard Ccacc speak telepathically, "Wiraqocha is free...But how? That prison was comprised of all of our energies to seal him!" Ignacious snarled, "I do not know...But now he is loose, and worse, I fear he has bonded with my former vessel. I no longer feel his energy tied to me." He then looked up at Kiryu, shouting "Go call the others; we must discuss our next move with this development." Kiryu just blinked, "Alright...Alright, chill dude. Relax, we'll still get our murder game on. Just leave to me and ol' Apu here."

Soon enough, the rest of the Dark Signers were assembled. "So....I take it this is serious?" Rutger asked calmly, Uru then saying, "Wiraqocha has been freed...By whom I do not know. He should not have escaped." Ignacious just grimaced and slammed the table with a fist, "But he has! If this is to work, we must get him back at any cost!"

Demak's eyes narrowed, "I thought you said the other Gods built another prison....One of enchanted stone and iron, hidden deep within the Abyss itself." At this Cusillu spoke up, "Indeed; it was built out of the ruins of what the Demons call "Dark World". That is where he should have stayed....

Not yet we aren't ...

But the thoughts remained in Fayth's head simply because ... Jack wasn't wrong. Right now, the top priorities were the Dark Signers, The Emperor, and any other Duel Spirits they may need to look out for. She merely nodded, continuing to listen to the conversation as her own head raced. Even when she and the others had been first spoken to by Goodwin ... she had figured this would be a tough situation. And while they were working on tipping the scales in their favor, or at least making them more even, Fayth certainly hadn't expected things to go this south so quickly.

Her head shook as she brought herself back to the here and now, lifting her head as Judai suggested Crow should meet up with Yuna. "That probably is for the best. We can give you coordinates before you head out."

"Much appreciated," Crow responded, nodding in agreement about wanting to keep the kids further out of any future situations that would likely arise. The bombing was something he was still beating himself a bit over ... but not nearly as bad as Ruka's demise. At least no one had died from the bombs. And even the girl who had been unfortunate enough to get hit by some debris was healing pretty quickly.

"Well .... " Crow mused, looking between Judai, Jack, and Fayth before stretching and resuming. "As things are ... we've done what we can. I'm at least glad that if Yuna had to say no, there was a very good reason behind it and not just being unnecessarily mean or anything. For Aki .... we'll think on that ...."

Tired as she was, a lightbulb quickly went off as Fayth sat up straight, gently feeling her duel disk as a grin spread across her face.

"Umm ... are you tired?" Crow asked.

"A bit, but that's not why I'm doing that. A bit after getting confirmation of a different set of bad news, Reiji revealed to me that Fuyu gave her duel disk to me." And just in case she hadn't told anyone during the Fortune Cup, she went on and elaborated, "Mine ... malfunctioned a bit after coming here. The function that allows me to travel in and out of dimensions stopped working. But since I have Fuyu's .... that means everything works. Including our trackers built in."

" ... Wait, seriously?! You guys have that type of technology in your world?!"

Fayth nodded, unable to hlep but look a bit proud. "I know that probably sounds a small bit creepy, but given these circumstances? It should help out. Assuming she was captured after her duel, she probably has her duel disk nearby."

"That's .... fu --, I mean, freaking genius!" Crow stated, barely managing to keep his volume under control to avoid fully waking up the kids. "Perfect. If you think you can figure that out, I'll let Jack help you work on locating her."

With this, Crow was already feeling ten - if not a hundred - times better and much more hopeful. Even the sensations of being miffed at the Facility being destroyed were calmer than before. The more typical looks that were found in his eyes reappeared as he stood up. "Alright. We got a plan ... definitely a good start. I'll get you guys pillows and a blanket, then I'm gonna go crash."

And true to his word, mere moments after he uttered his words, both Fayth and Jack were given supplies to allow them to sleep comfortably enough. Crow only lingered long enough to watch Fayth lay her head atop Jack's chest, but he otherwise walked away, leaving them alone for now. Fortunately, he trusted them both perfectly to behave like they had done so before. If anything, he had simply taken a few seconds to admire them.

They weren't the typical couple one would have guessed could have formed. And for Jack? Well ... he needed someone like Fayth. It was jut a shame she hadn't appeared sooner, before all of this nonsense went down. Even still, he was very happy for his friend.

Fayth didn't need much coaxing at all. Her hands slowly ran through Jack's locks for about thirty seconds ... before stopping as she fell asleep beside him, her head remaining on top of his chest as the last of her consciousness faded. Despite the tragedy that had occurred today ... this was one of the few places she truly felt safe.

"That, alas, is the keyword Cusillu. He should be there ... but isn't."

A new figure, yet one with a somewhat familiar voice, emerged and stood beside Ignacious. What was once Carly Nagisa now stood the reincarnated form of the Archfiend Empress whom was now going by the name Niari. As silence lingered within the room, fingernails that doubled as claws lightly tapped against the side of her staff.

"I admit," Niari began, "That I have yet to see about perfecting this. However, given the circumstances, I need to at least try this."

With a snap of her fingers, a mirror was conjured and hovered in the air, floating courtesy of Niari's new source of power.

"Light ... so that the answers we seek may be revealed to us ...."

As she spoke, a golden aura formed from her claws. Once it gathered to a decent size, she guided the power which, should anyone take a few moments to sense, they would realize it wasn't just any normal light. It was power from her very own card, Fortune Lady Light, that was being put into the mirror.

"And Darkness .... to keep ourselves concealed while we find what we need."

Another glow emitted, this one violet in color. Just like before, Niari allowed it to build up before pushing it towards the mirror.

"Light and Dark become one for me,
Give us the answers we wish to know
Let me see
The reason that Hotsuma is dead and Wiraqocha now seems to be our foe."

For a few moments, nothing seemed to happen. But before anyone could speak up, the two auras did swirl together, fusing with one another. And soon everyone in the room would see the answer play out.

The battle between Yuna, Kozaky, and Magical Scientist was on full display, including that not only Trance Archfiend had aided in the fight, but so had Hajime. The last thing that would be both seen and heard was the loud scream of agony from Yuna as she took Hotsuma's life before being picked up in Hajime's arms and him running away with his leader.

Her eyes narrowed as Niari's glance immediately went straight to Kiryu. "This ... is your doing, you know? Had you not toyed around with your food, so to speak, this wouldn't have happened. Now, not only is she wake, but in an even stronger form than before. And don't you dare try to point to me and my failure; I haven't forgotten I did. But I was trying to kill two Signers in one duel. You ... have repeatedly taken your time when the only thing you needed to do ...

The auras exited the mirror, hovering over Niari's right palm. They swirled among one another for a bit as the Demonic Empress spoke up again, " ...was what was asked of you."

And after uttering those words, she clenched her fist, causing not only the sources of magic to return to their source, but the mirror to return.

Back
Top Bottom