Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Yu-gi-oh 5Ds: Rise of Darkness and Corruption (Athene/ImaginaryMuse & Razgriz)

Zeman stared down Regulus, the devilish ape grinning as his staff began to glow. "I applaud your efforts, Regulus....But it seems you did not think this one through. You should have known that such a simple trick would not work on me. You were foolish to come alone...Now you can join your mistress in servitude to me and Master Demak! "

However, it seemed Zeman did not consider that the lion wasn't alone...A fact that was made abundantly clear when Rua came out, pointing another of his Cursed Needles right at him. His eyes widened, seeming caught off-guard by the appearance of the boy. His face curled into a snarl, seeming aggravated.

"You heard the lad, Zeman; face it, it is over. Release Ancient Fairy Dragon." Regulus commanded; Zeman did seem stumped. How was he going to get out of this one? And with how Rua and Regulus were positioned, he had to make a choice. If he went for one, the other would attack....But that was if one of them could attack.

Even with his intelligence, he was still a beast....Which meant heightened senses, especially those of certain pheromones. And the boy....Exhibited a higher level of the one associated with fear. Maybe he didn't know how to use the staff....No, he couldn't. The boy was a human; and the only other human he had been told to watch out for was the one that carried the Mark o the Dragon as well as Yubel's vessel.

And this boy was neither of those things....

Unknown to Zeman though, Torunka was hiding behind the giant altar at the middle; his magic senses were dulled, but he still had some. He was trying to get an idea for that strange Needle. He was seeing energy being drawn in, but he was noticing fluctuations in the flow of mana. It seemed to have a field of sorts, drawing power into it. Which meant it had to have an outlet...

He had a little bit of magic left...And if it was what he thought it was.....Maybe, just maybe it could work.

Zeman then laughed and said, "I can through you boy! You cannot use that staff like I can!" And as Zeman prepared to fire energy, Torunka made his own move. "Reverse!" the young-appearing mage called out a bolt of energy striking the tip of Torunka's needle....And causing Ruka's own Needle to change its direction, becoming an opposite of Zeman's, the twin pairs effectively cancelling each other as a white bolt intercepted the one from Zeman's staff, causing it to misfire, the needle resuming its former position after his magic wore off, though he would not know this.

And though no one would see it

"Rua! The staffs now repel each other!" Torunka cried out, making Zeman look behind him...And giving Regulus his opening. The lion roared and charged Zeman, slamming into the Ape King and knocking the other staff from his hand. The pair tumbled as Zeman and Regulus fought each other; now it would be up to Rua and Torunka to somehow use the staffs to get Ancient Fairy Dragon free.

As fine as that was, well...Getting cards in the Satellite was about as easy as finding a sustainable source of clean water. Especially now that it seemed the Dark Signers had been rampaging through the Satellite; there was little doubt any who might remain would not let anyone they weren't familiar with get close. And even they might have difficulty.

But Crow did have a point; even if they were loyal to Yuna and Hotsuma, they were still demons. They would need to figure something out with them....But as Jack made to move, he felt his knee give way. Making him stumble....He wanted to move, but in all honesty having to hoof it all the way here while he was still recovering made his injury act up. And with the adrenaline now gone, he had to remember too that Fayth was injured.

"I know this is a bad time, Crow....But do you mind if Fayth and I stay here for a few hours. Kiryu decided it would be fun to take a power tool to Fayth and myself. He got my leg and her shoulder....And I think mine's about to give out...." he would say, feeling a cold sweat break out as he slumped to the ground. He just needed a rest....Not for long, as they really couldn't afford to lay about....

And the sooner the children were secure, the better.

Demak, meanwhile, had been waiting for sometime at his own Tower. The power of the Ape God pulsed through him, Cusillu eager for combat. "Let us not wait, Demak.....We must hunt her as you had Zeman do. You know who it is that will face us, now let us go to her!"

Demak, however, waited right here. "If this is where the ritual is to take place, then it is here I shall wait. Besides...I have little doubt her own Sign is compelling to come to us. If we are to win and make up for the losses of Asllu and Chacu, and we cannot do so by being rash. And that is all I know: That it is a woman.

"Feh....What difference does it make? Your deck has been powered because you had the foresight to take the Forest's creatures and use them in your arsenal. That is part of your and Zeman's scheme to ensure victory is it not? That is why you had Zeman ensure Ancient Fairy Dragon was sealed, after all."

Demak grimaced, "And our power will be amplified if we are within the Tower's boundary. I will not risk our success by indulging your overeagerness for battle. We will have plenty of that once our opponent arrives."

However....Once she did arrive? Demak was shocked....But no, even from here his sharp eyesight saw the Mark on her arm radiating energy. And if any look could concede that he was uncomfortable? This would be it.

"A God and a man making a child fight their battle...Such a despicable act." Demak growled, his fists clenching as he remembered what it was that Cusillu showed to him. The real actions of the Director, as well as helping him recall his final moments. He was just a boy back then.....But now he was her. Seventeen years of plotting...And Goodwin, not to mention the

"Good! This victory is all but assured; her body is frail. Break her, Demak....Then we will rise and strike down the Crimson Dragon!"

Demak, however, ignored Cusillu's callous remarks and addressed the verdant-haired young woman, "Young lady...I applaud your bravery. I can see even from here you are determined to battle...But do not toss your life away. Turn back...And leave this place. A child should not be made to fight a battle against Gods."

Cusillu then started to react, but Demak then said, "Please understand that I do not intend disrespect...But I can sense your body is frail. A darkness eats at you, making you weaker than you should be. I do this to try and spare you pain. Turn and leave, and you will survive. But if you choose to fight...Then I ask you hold nothing against me, nor will I you."

Last edited:

Rua's heart was rapidly beating, his mind matching a similar pace if not just a bit quicker. He gulped nervously as his grip on the staff tightened. Zeman wasn't wrong in detecting the fear within him. But one thing that was equally as accurate was his resolve. Him, Judai, Torunka and now Regulus had all agreed that no matter what, they would find a way to free Ancient Fairy Dragon. And everyone had risked so much just to get this far. There was no way he could forgive himself if he just turned and ran away.

Nu-uh! No, not happening!

Rua grit his teeth as he listened, scoffing at the smug tone coming from Zemak. "You annoying mean monkey! What makes you so sure I don't know how to use it?!"

It wasn't a complete bluff, after all. He had heard one incantation used ... and that was more than enough for him to at least make an effort to use it. And once Torunka gave Rua the cue? He took a shaky breath, carefully studying Zeman and Regulus as they began to fight amongst each other. He took aim ... making damn sure it was pointed at the right person.

And when he was ready?

"MINUSIZE!"

Please let this work ...

Because if it failed? Well ... they would all be in legit trouble. Unless Torunka could be quick enough to help suggest something else for Rua to try, and even that was a huge iffy as it was. They were already on a timer as it was, so if he could help, it'd have to be very fast.

"Jack, no! You've barely had time or chances to fully rest that knee up!" Fayth pleaded, gently but quickly looping her arm through Jack's as he made an effort to try to stand up. Somewhat fortunately, his body at least agreed as she felt him soon stop moving and slump against the wall.

A ghost of a smirk spread over Crow's face as he watched the blonde young woman and how she was acting. It wasn't like he hadn't noticed it before ... but now? It was a bit more obvious. "Heh. I see. Hopefully, your guys' feelings for one another will be enough to inspire you two to fight through this. That said, while I am happy for you both ... just ... behave. Keep your actions PG, if you get my drift."

Fayth's face burned a deep red. "W-we ... haven't even really done anything much. We'll definitely behave, that ... won't be an issue."

"Okay. You could have stayed regardless, but I feel better allowing you guys to rest up here knowing you'll keep that vow. Then yes. By all means, take as long as you both need. Hopefully when this is all over .... at least some of us can celebrate .... anything, really. Even just surviving and being alive would be good enough."

A slight grunt resounded as Crow forced himself up to his feet. Before he could walk away, however, the door opened and revealed Rally as well as the rest of the kids. A sad expression replaced the smug grin he'd been teasing Fayth and Jack with as he found Ruka wasn't with them. A defeated sigh passed his lips as he nodded, silently acknowledging their finding, or lack of in this case. "Alright ... hit the hay, everyone. We're gonna look again tomorrow. If you two want an actual room or bed and have the ability to move that much, follow me. Otherwise ... I'll be back with some extra blankets and pillows. I'm at least gonna make the floor tolerable for you two."

"They're staying here?" the same girl that been unfortunate enough to get wounded by the debris before his own duel asked. Crow nodded. "Yes. They'll be nice. I likewise expect you all to be nice back."

"Oh come on, Crow onii-san. We're always angels."

"Mostly, yes. Some days though ... " He allowed the words to trail off before walking away, returning a few moments later. "Now lay your head back, Fayth."

And when she did, she'd feel a pillow underneath. It wasn't overly fancy or anything ... but it was definitely better than resorting solely to the wooden floor. Her head nodded as she gave him an approving smile. "Thank you, Crow." Though she didn't see the nod he gave her, Fayth could sense it, for a lack of better wording. And once she heard that they were alone? Her head gently rested atop Jack's chest. She used her good hand to intertwine it with one of his own, swallowing and gulping nervously.

It legitimately terrified her ... knowing that on the most technical of notes, she shouldn't be here. And should she fail again? Well ... she'd be gone for good. A shiver danced along her spine as she elicited a soft exhale. "I'm not gonna pretend the temptation is still there, but ... no. You don't have to worry about that. For better or worse, I'll fight alongside you."

She started to add a bit more ... but stopped. Even if it would have been meant to attempt to lighten the mood, it would have been a bit too grim to joke about being with him till death do they part, and perhaps a bit too soon. They hadn't gotten that close yet, after all. And it'd be more ... rewarding if they could actually get to that point.

So ... she decided to leave it at that, figuring the reassurance would be more than enough to start with. "That said ... I'm expecting you to keep your own promise. If I can't run, you can't either."

There. That, for now, was a more appropriate way to end her thoughts. While she felt just a small bit uneasy ... her eyelids shut behind the blindfold. Whether it was being close to Jack and feeling safe enough, fatigue, or a combination of both and more ... she found herself asleep much sooner than she expected.

Poor Ruka had no idea what she was expecting. Or, for that matter, what possessed her to walk all this way. Duty? That was partially true. There was something more ... she couldn't pinpoint it. She'd been walking for ... how long even had it been? At least a day if not longer. She was exhausted, a bit hungry and thirsty too. But ... now it was way too late to consider turning back around.

Soon, not only would Demak come into view, but so did the towers. She frowned slightly as she noticed three were lit up.

That bad, huh?

But perhaps more surprising than the fact she'd arrived here ... were the words Demak greeted her with. He ... was giving her the chance to leave? She stared in shock ... but couldn't find any hints of deceit. He .... actually seemed to mean it. The smallest hint of a smile crossed her lips ... and then Ruka - somewhat sadly and reluctantly - shook her head from side to side.

"I won't pretend like some part of me doesn't wish to. But let's say I did. Then what? I can't just go beg my brother to fight in my stead ... nor would I want to even if he would. I can't just ... rely on Yusei or the others to always defend me. I definitely didn't want this Mark ... I doubt any of us did, really, but ..."

Ruka lightly bit her lower lip before firmly nodding.

"Me leaving would be a slap to everyone's faces, including my own so ... even if a part of me wants to heed your words, I can't! Duel! I'll go first!"

A small smile appeared on her lips. Her spirit, Kuribon, was also in her hand. It was a nice, subtle way of knowing that despite being alone physically, she clearly wasn't spiritually. "I'll set two cards face down. I then summon Sunlight Unicorn and activate its effect!"

There weren't a whole lot of equip cards ... but there were some. Alas ... nope. It was Monster Reborn, which made her grimace a bit as it went to the bottom of the deck. "Turn end!"

Tooth and claw fought against tooth and hand. Both Zeman and Regulus were overwhelmingly strong, but given the nature of the lion's injuries, it was clear that Zeman was starting to win out. Even though Regulus managed a few good swipes in, tearing at the Ape King's flesh and robes, Zeman's own power was nothing to sneeze at

*CRACK*

A hard kick knocked Regulus silly, blood seeping from a wound on his jaw before Zeman slammed an open hand into the lion's throat, knocking him down as Regulus lay coughing. "Now then! Lay still so I can..."

*MINUSIZE!*

Zeman turned around to see his own weapon pointed right at him, a look of horror on his face as the necrotizing energy slammed into him, shouting in horror as he tried to overcome the slow petrification. He was trying to move on Regulus, but it was like he was swimming in tar. As he told Regulus, he knew his magic...And yet despite his power, it was in fact built from it, therefore even he could not resist it for long.

"M...Master Demak! To you....I give....The power of the Minus Curse! Crush the Signer! Forgive my failure! MINUS....TRANSFER!"

And with that, another bolt of energy escaped his body, shooting through the skylight and into the heavens of the Spirit World, Zeman soon becoming entrapped within his own creation, forever sealed away. A tablet of stone among the others imprisoned by his foul magic.

"Rua....Rua, you did it!"

Torunka stood up, seeming quite happy at Zeman's defeat....But then he looked at all the imprisoned Spirits here. There was still work to be done....The mage took two steps but then collapsed. His own magicka was running on fumes...The only way he could somehow overcome this was by reverting back to his true form...

And thanks to Rua's little demonstration, he knew now how to accomplish this.

"Rua....Bring....the staffs here..." Torunka would say, Regulus too standing up, but albeit shakily. "What....are you thinking, Torunka...Do those objects...have the means to free Ancient Fairy Dragon?" he would ask, Torunka nodding, "Yes....Yes I believe they do. Though I am unsure how, I believe this should weaken her seal enough to where you can free her, Regulus. These Needles...They work by turning the target's own life force against itself, creating a loop that forever freezes them. But...It can also be used to transfer energy, as Rua had shown."

Once Rua might bring him the staffs, he would fiddle with the tips...Changing the black needle's position on both. "I am hoping that with enough input.....We can break the bonds holding her. Rua...I suggest you stand back. There is no telling how violent this will get."

Once Rua might heed his words, he went to the well where he felt a massive energy pool...And Regulus saw the visage of his Master. "No....Zeman, how dare you do this! Torunka, whatever you need do, do it!" Regulus cried out, Torunka then chanting in a strange language, one that would be utterly incomprehensible. He was trying to use every trick he remembered to amplify what little magic he had, to reduce the burden on his body and maximize its power.

And as it went forward, the two staffs shot out energy, pouring the sealed power back into Ancient Fairy Dragon...And while it started to make the seals break. "Regulus....If you have anything you can give...." Torunka asked, Regulus nodding as the horn upon his head began to glow, his own life force being added to the mix of magic. And then a loud shearing sound rocked the area, the cracks of the seals beginning to be more and more apparent....

And then rose Ancient Fairy Dragon herself, body entwined in chains of extreme magical power, their links cracking and breaking as her power was slowly restored. At this Regulus leapt from the edge of the well, claws extended and glowing brightly...And with naught but a few well-placed cuts, the bonds were broken.

Ancient Fairy Dragon was free!

Jack knew Fayth was right...But damn it, he hated just sitting here useless! Even so....Pushing themselves so hard they broke wasn't going to help anyone. They needed to at least rest a little....But once they did? It was business as usual, and Jack did not intend to rest more than a few hours.

Though Crow's remark would not just make Fayth blush red; even Jack's face turned a healthy pink in the cheeks at the implication. Thankfully Crow knew to cut it off there, but...He did hope that he and Fayth could have some form of alone time.....When the world wasn't falling apart.....Or if either of them might even make it.

Even so, the banter between the children and Crow made him realize more of what this was worth fighting for. "Me too Fayth....Once this is done and we win, I swear I'm going to spoil us all rotten. I might not be King, but Goodwin did make sure I had a nice trust fund set up. Just in case...And I plan to make sure we have a celebration worth remembering."

Maybe it was just empty macho talk, but he did want to try and reassure Fayth he wasn't planning on giving up. Even more so when she teased him about what he said earlier. "I might not be the sharpest...But I'm no hypocrite. Not anymore. I'll be right by your side.....Forever and always."

And with that, he would hold Fayth against himself as Crow might give them spare blankets and pillows...And soon enough? The pair was drifted off to rest...For a short time, anyway.

Demak had an idea of the young girl's intent. Even with a body so frail, her eyes shone with determination. Something or someone had empowered her to act...And though he did mean his words, he knew Cusillu would not just let her leave easily.

Even so, Demak sighed...But did have a hint of a smile creep up his lips. "Your frailty belies your fighting spirit, young lady. You have my respect. Then let us begin..." And with that, as he would activate his Duel Disk, his own Mark burned...Creating high walls of yellow fire that surrounded them, the surrounding area now in the shape of the Ape Geoglyph, as well as the Tower of the Ape humming to life, their Duel under way as he matched her cry, drawing his own cards.

Inside his head he heard Cusillu laughing as she summoned what he knew to be a Guardian of the Ancient Forest. "How very intriguing...I wonder how she will react to seeing the Forest's denizens under your control." Cusillu remarked, Demak's eyes focusing as she attempted to use her beast's ability to search for something to empower her monster. Unfortunately....It seemed like she was under an air of misfortune.

He was silent as she ended her turn. 1800 Attack Points was no laughing matter...But what concerned him was the likely traps she had set on her field. No doubt something to weaken his offensive.

"My turn, I draw!"

As he drew a card, he knew he could easily beat over it. "Play a pawn of Zeman's armies and destroy that beast!" Cusillu cried out in his head, Demak grimacing a bit at his God's continued insistence. "I will Set a card, then Set a monster face-down. Turn end." he would say, giving Ruka a somber look as he lowered the hood that obscured his face. It was here that he felt a pulse....Something Ruka would feel as well.

"Zeman...." Demak thought to himself, feeling another presence wash over him, an aura of black magic covering his body but for a brief moment before vanishing. "The fool has failed, despite your precautions. But he did serve one last use: The Minus Curse is now yours." he would hear Cusillu say, Demak huffing a bit before readdressing his opponent.

"Young lady...Before we go any further, I feel we should exchange names. We are warriors of fate, after all, and not know the name of my opponent would be most shameful. I am Demak. If you are victorious this day...I ask you to commit it to memory. I will do the same for you, naturally."

Last edited:

As Rua watched everything unfold after uttering the incantation, his pulse quickened even more. It was at the point where it felt like his poor heart was going to leap out of its chest, if it had such an ability to do so. His grip on the staff stayed firm and just in case Zeman was able to dart towards him? Rua prepared to run away if it came down to that.

But fortunately ... it didn't. The spell worked! Soon, Zeman was turned to stone, but not before transferring the same powers to ... Demak?

Probably one of the other Dark Signers, he mused, grimacing slightly at the thought. That frown, however, vanished as the tablet fell onto the floor. Rua blinked .... and then slumped to the floor, letting out a long, deep sigh he hadn't realized he'd been holding back. "Whew, maaaaaaaan. That ... was way too close for my own comfort."

"Haha, yeah, it did look that way."

From the doorway, everyone would see Judai standing with his usual, cheeky smile. "Judai-onii!"

"Hey, I told ya I'd come back."

And sure enough, aside from exhausted and appearing as if he'd run a marathon which - to be somewhat fair - was partially true, he was otherwise unharmed. Judai's smile widened as he moved forward, albeit it with trembling legs, and ruffled Rua's hair. The boy was too proud to whine or complain. "You did damn good. Now ... come on. We're not completely done yet, after all."

Judai lowered his hand, helping Rua stand back up. And at the perfect time, it seemed, as Torunka soon asked for the staff. "Yeah, sure." It wouldn't take long for Rua to dart forward and hand the staff over. Truthfully, as it cool as it'd been to use, he was relieved not to be wielding it anymore. It'd been scary to hold something with so much power, doubly so when it could have just as easily backfired. Rua felt much safer allowing someone who better knew who to use it and letting said weapon be in their hands.

Alas, there was still even more work to be done. Now ... came the hardest part. Actually freeing Ancient Fairy Dragon. Judai would be close behind Rua as both walked to the well. And Judai, in particular, frowned at the sight of the dragon trapped and restrained.

To think they can do such a thing to a powerful Duel Spirit? Unforgiveable.

Good. I'm glad we both agree on this. You may not be a Signer, boy, but you damn well better continue to help them and see about turning this around.

... Huh? What do you mean?

If Yubel had the ability to, she would have gladly face palmed ... and though she couldn't actually do it, Judai could at least feel the temptation, and he could definitely hear the frustrated groan before she gave an actual reply.

It's not going well. The Gods the Dark Signers posses ... their aura is getting stronger, not weaker. This already doesn't bode well for them.

Do you know ... like ... who exactly is still ... ??

No and truthfully? Even if I did, it'd be best for you to find out yourself as opposed to through me.

Judai merely nodded, fighting the urge to visibly grimace. Instead, he merely snuck a sideways glance towards Rua, praying and hoping that his sister was among those still alive and well enough. Hell ... would there be a way for someone to fight in her stead, even? That was certainly something to see about figuring out once they returned.

Fortunately, a smile was able to at least temporarily hide Judai's true inner feelings as he, along with Rua, watched Ancient Fairy Dragon being freed from the chains. Rua happily jumped up and down, pumping a fist in the air. "Woohoo! Yeah!" He then turned towards the stone with Zeman still imprisoned and stuck his tongue out. "Take that, meanie!"

Judai chuckled softly. Ah, that same type of innocence ... it was something that, whether people believed it or not, he did used to possess. He kinda missed being able to have it.

"So," Judai finally stated, now looking between Regulus and Torunka, "Normally I could make a portal back, but ... I'm not sure if that's doable."

"Eh?!" Upon hearing that, Rua turned and looked over, his face immediately now wearing a very concerned look, "Why not?!"

"Well ... between both physical and mental fatigue, it's gonna be an easier said than done task. If it really needs to come down to me doing it, I'll certainly try, but otherwise? How exactly do we go about this?"

.... Was this man truly a Dark Signer? His actions said yes, but his words? They were very much the opposite. He was far more generous and respectful than Ruka would have ever began to guess. Granted, she hadn't heard any of the horror stories. But common sense implied that when two forces fought against one another ... it usually went in a very different direction. Her own small smile appeared as she bowed her head politely at the praise. It was nice to finally be acknowledged for more than just her weak body.

When Rua worried about it ... that was not only fair, but acceptable. He was her twin brother, so it made sense. But when strangers did so, let alone consistently? It was annoying to say the least. So to hear someone not focusing on that part of her? Yeah. It felt damn good.

Ruka would finish drawing the top card off her deck. Right before she could set it down, the man spoke up again. If she hadn't been confused or weirded out before ... now she definitely was. He was ... introducing himself?

Well ... this certainly was odd. Not at all horrible, but definitely weird and very unexpected.

"Ruka," she managed to reply. "My name is Ruka. I ... do we really have to do this?"

Probably a seemingly foolish and dumb question, but aside from the simple nature surrounding the inquiry? Demak would hear she was just being sincere. There was no deceit, no intention to pull any fast stunts. Just a blunt and earnest question she wanted an answer to.

For her, though, the first cue came when she saw him continue to hold his ground. She let out a sad sigh ... and then glanced back down at her hand. "Very well then. I summon Regulus! Sunlight Unicorn, attack the set card!"

Normally, Ruka would consider being a bit more cautious. At worst, she was hopeful for something that wouldn't happen. But by no means was she foolish enough to not realize how dire and important this duel was. So the logical choice seemed for her to attack. Besides, if it was something that would result in effect damage trying to be thrown to her? Well ... one of her sets could save her from that. It was a win-win in her mind.

Fortunately, the set was destroyed and sent to the graveyard. Which left him wide open. A brief apologetic look appeared on her face ... before she firmly nodded and pointed at Demak. "Regulus! Direct attack!"

"Trap Card, open! Battle Instinct!"

... Well, at least she didn't lose life or Regulus. That was a plus. But ... it was also just a bit annoying she had failed to get a head start in this duel. Worse off, now Demak had a monster stronger than any of her own on his side of the field. Ruka slowly nodded, lowering her head so she could look back at her hand. "And with that ..." After double and triple checking, she lifted her head, looking back up towards Demak. "I end my turn!"

Rua was more than glad this was over...But except by Judai's words? It wasn't...And as Ancient Fairy Dragon was freed, her spirit coalesced and fled...Likely to aid Ruka in her battle. And while they wouldn't see it, upon Ancient Fairy Dragon returning to her master's side, Ruka might feel a calming energy wash over her, granting her some reprieve from the darkness that surrounded their Duel.

But...It seemed there was more to the Ritual than met the eye....And Torunka's body began to shift, as well as Regulus' injuries beginning to heal. And when the transformation was complete? Rua was looking at a very old card, one that he recognized from watching footage of a very old Duel. "Eh?! You're really the Dark Sage?!" Rua asked in great surprise, to which the elder man just smiled and said, "See? I told you I was an ancient magician!"

But then a shadow cast itself over the land...And through the skylight against the backdrop of the moon sat a giant core of stone,. Pulsing with a sickening energy; it seemed Zeman's curse was not yet fully broken. Dark Sage did overhear Yubel's conversation with Judai, adding "Indeed, and it seems like this is not yet complete." He did not have much magic power left....But with his body unsealed, he did have enough for one last trick.

Regulus, Judai and Rua would find themselves lifted, Torunka chanting in that same strange tongue. "Eh? Torunka?! What are you doing?" Rua asked as he sat there suspended in mid-air, the elder sage replying "Sending you home! If the Gods are winning, the Signers will need whatever help you can give! I have done all I can...So please! Save your world from the Gods' evil!"

And with that...The three shot skyward, through a portal and into the the Aether. And in here, Regulus and Yubel would feel that Ruka's fight was underway. "Ruka...." Regulus muttered, his face somehow able to convey great concern. And then he vanished! And it was that Judai and Rua would be shot forward, a flash of light enveloping them both as they re-entered the Human Realm.

....Demak was unsure about what to feel. On one hand, he knew this was his duty, his fate. But on the other...Seeing a child having to fight made his heart heavy. It made him recall his own final moments all too clearly. In his village he was indeed considered a man, but in truth he probably was only a year or two older than Ruka was.

Still he was glad when she gave her name. It was a name that fit her; even from here he could see she was pure of heart. And her question only proved that fact...And made his quiet outrage only boil that much more.

A fact that made his own fate and hers that much more bitter to behold.

"Spare the drivel, vessel. Your duty is to the Gods. This is your fate as much as it is hers. If you wish any consolation, know that conflict was inevitable. Take solace in that there is nothing either of you could have done to prevent this moment."

Weirdly consoling, even if he knew Cusillu cared little. "Ruka....I am afraid that fate has bound us. The Mark on your arm and the one on mine..." He would pause here to lift the sleeve of his robe, showing the Ape on his muscular forearm glowing bright yellow like the accents of his robe and the flames that sealed them in this cursed arena, before continuing "Demand that one of us will not walk away from here. I offer you my sincerest sympathies, young lady, for my duty commands that I must be victorious."

At the very least, he would honor his words...And if he should win, the Curse that Zeman gave to him would be used to make her passing as painless as possible. He would not mimic the barbarism of Kiryu or Misty to a child, and even to an adult he would fight them with dignity and respect.

And then she summoned it: Her master's most faithful servant, the proud Lion Guardian of the Ancient Forest, Regulus. "Regulus has returned...Insolent interloper!" Cusillu shouted, Regulus snarling as his image hunched over with the intent to attack furiously, "Cusillu, you swine! How dare you and your master harm Ancient Fairy Dragon! Know that I will show no mercy for your actions!" Demak's face showed a hint of displeasure, stating "I am merely playing my part, Guardian. I bear no ill will to the Ancient Forest or you. The Gods demand my service, as Ancient Fairy Dragon does yours."

Regulus snarled angrily, stating "She demands nothing! We serve her because she gives her protection selflessly! You and Zeman are naught more than cowardly puppets!" At this Demak's eyes closed, "And you are not? We are all but the whimisical playthings of fate, guided by the strings of time to our ultimate destiny. For better or for worse, this is how it must be." Regulus snarled, turning to Ruka and asking "Ruka? Are you hurt?"

And when she gave the order to attack after Sunlight Unicorn? He was more than pleased to do so! "Demak!" Regulus cried out, lunging with great ferocity at the Dark Signer...Only for his defense to activate. "I am sorry, Ruka, but this is an attack I cannot allow. Trap Card, Open! Battle Instinct! When I control no monsters and my opponent attacks me directly, one Level Four or lower Beast-Type can be Special Summoned from my hand. Come, Fighter's Ape!" And it was here the darkness-imbibed ape appeared and catching the lion, throwing him back to Ruka's side of the field before screeching and pounding his chest.

"Curse you..." Regulus growled as Ruka might end her turn, directing his vitriol at Demak, who would merely say "My turn, I draw!" He took a look at his hand, not seeing many options. But he would have to press the advantage now that Regulus was here. There was still the issue of her Sets, and he could recover if one of them managed to destroy his Ape, but he had to play it smart.

"I will Set another monster." he would say, the reverse card appearing on his field. He then looked at Regulus, and said, "Battle! Fighter's Ape attacks Regulus!" The power-saturated monkey then leaped and swung hard at the lion with its massive fist, who was poised to take the hit and shield Ruka from damage.

"Reverse Counter-Trap, Open! Attack Nullification!"

A barrier of energy then sprung up and blocked Fighter's Ape, who tried to power through but was flung back to Demak's side of the field. With the Battle Phase ended, he had no other choice but to say, "Turn end."

However...It was here that he heard a loud "RUUUKKAAAA!" turning to see another boy who looked eerily similar to his opponent rushing towards them, a look of mild panic on his face as he got dangerously close to the barrier! He did happen to see the other boy, shouting at Judai as he pointed "You there! Stop the little one from approaching! He will die if he touches the barrier flame!" And when Judai might grab him to halt his charge, the barrier had just flared hard, washing the both of them in heat before it might die back down; had Rua touched it, he would have been killed instantly.

A sigh of relief left him; last thing he wanted was to have another child be an unnecessary casualty. "Hey! Lemme go! Ruka!" Rua might shout, turning his attention back at Demak, shouting as he shook a fist, "This is how you get your kicks!? You coward! Let her go and fight me!"

Judai couldn't help but feel a small surge of annoyance flood through him as Torunka hinted he'd heard his talk with Yubel. Sure, Rua would have found out ... but he hadn't wanted to handle it as if he were ripping a band aid off. Then again ... there may not be any opportunities to take that route. So ... Judai silently nodded, acknowledging and thanking Torunka for giving Rua the truth about what all was happening back in their world. Or ... at least the human one.

Judai didn't have time to make jokes about how this technically wasn't his dimension, not when his eyes adjusted and he found themselves not only back in the Satellite, but mere inches away from Ruka.

Damnit. What a shitty time to come back ... he mused, hurrying and running forward with both Rua and Regulus.

Ruka, meanwhile, replied with a sad nod as Demak confirmed there was no way this duel could be avoided or even outright halted. A shiver trailed down her spine as she watched him take his turn. Her gaze subconsciously lowered as she looked back down to her deck. Was it even possible to win? With all of the towers already lit up and hinting others had failed ... that alone made Ruka scared. Then there was the fact that honestly? Her deck wasn't full of many, if any, offensive monsters.

Her deck was a Life Gaining one. Definitely nothing close to a beatdown like this one at least seemed to be. Even if that wasn't the case, he was getting more monsters with stronger attack out. And faster, too - another thing that worried Ruka.

"Huh? Who ... ??"

As her head turned, she saw her brother, Regulus, and Judai all coming over. "So ... it's true. You all really did free her. Thank you!" Ruka had indeed felt the odd sensation through her body. She just hadn't been exactly sure what it meant. But she knew for certain there was no way Regulus would have come if Ancient Fairy Dragon were still in trouble.

Plus ... the sensation had come with a calming and reassuring aura. In fact, Ruka was pretty certain she'd heard Ancient Fairy Dragon reassure her she was okay now.

All of this made her grin and turn back around just in time.

"Reverse Counter-Trap, Open! Attack Nullification! I, likewise, am not going to easily let you destroy any of my monsters!" Ruka then turned back around, looking back over at the audience which had now appeared. "Guys! Thank you all .... thank you." She gave Regulus an appreciative bow of her head as she happily nodded. "Y-yes, I'm fine. Just ... a bit scared. But I'm not hurt or anything. Crow though .... he was really badly injured. Someone dropped bombs near his place and a few of the kids got hurt."

.... So it's that bad ... Judai thought, grimacing upon hearing the revelation. Thankfully, Demak's words snapped him back to reality as he hastily grabbed the back of Rua's shirt, shaking his head sadly.

"He's right," Judai stated in a matter-of-fact tone. "Me and Yubel can sense as much. If you touch that barrier, you will perish. And ... if I knew how to deal with it, I gladly would. But as it is? That's ... foreign. To me and Yubel."

Unfortunately, Yubel bitterly chimed in, not bothering to hide her disdain about having something actually confuse her.

"I'm sorry but .... we just have to stay back and wait."

Ruka gave her twin a somber nod of her own before taking a deep breath and turning around. "My turn. I draw! First, I'll use Sunlight Unicorn's effect." Alas, it wasn't an Equip, so the card went to the bottom of the deck. Admittedly, she knew and understood it was a bit of a risky effect. It'd definitely be more helpful if her deck got shuffled afterwards. But ... this was all she could make do with. "Next, I summon Vampiric Koala! Sunlight Unicorn will attack your set monster!"

As it flipped up, Ruka found herself staring at ... a Nimble Momonga? It hadn't clicked before ... but now it did.

Wait ... he's using a deck similar yet different to yours?

Well ... that made this duel all the more interesting. Ruka shook her head, forcing herself to focus on the duel as opposed to the fact she was facing what could be deemed a mirror image of her own deck, even if only in style. She then nodded towards the other two which were promptly set down. "Regulus and Vampiric Koala will attack those also."

Even though this gave him 3,000 more life, it was worth it, if only to avoid allowing Demak the chance to summon a huge monster which could have happened had she opted not to attack. "Turn end!"

Indeed, Demak was glad that the other boy was there; he had little doubt the green-haired boy would have charged headlong to save this young lady. And met his demise in the process. And while he would not have been the direct cause, it would have been his fault all the same. He gave a respectful bow of his head to Judai, saying only "Thank you". Sure, they would be enemies, but he could at least show gratitude for ensuring that one's life was spared a most untimely and painful end.

Rua's eyes teared up as he heard Judai say there was nothing they could do. "No....I refuse! Let go! RUKA!" came his heart-wrenching cries, something that made Demak turn his head, his eyes closed once more. "If you try to even surrender or show weakness, I will take full control. Then I will show that girl the true meaning of fear and pain. Ancient Fairy Dragon or no. Be grateful I am allowing to conduct this Ritual Battle to this degree." he would hear Cusillu say to him, making Demak's hand tighten on his cards.

On that he had no doubt; his mind flashed back to another unfortunate incident, when he tried to refuse his God's orders....The screams of pain still echoed in his ears, the feeling of warmth on the thick gloves that covered his hands.

And as Ruka took her turn, he would have nothing to stop the destruction of the Nimble Flying Squirrel set on his field. "I activate the effect of the destroyed Nimble Flying Squirrel! I gain 1000 Life Points, then I Special Summon 2 others of its kind to my field in face-down Defense Position!" he would say, Setting the two others. Something that did not escape Regulus as he was made to attack, the squirrel squealing as it was destroyed by his own power. "You dare use the Forest denizens as shields?! Have you no shame?!" Regulus snarled, claws still extended as his own Life Points rose to a whopping 11000!

"Ruka, why are you boosting HIS Life?! You're supposed to be reducing it!" Rua said, fear of his sister potentially losing taking a deathgrip on his heart. Demak then would say in reply, "She is using sound tactics; she is preventing me from building a stronger field. Had she left them as they are, she would be even worse off, young one." Rua then just clenched his fist, "SHUT UP, JERK! I WASN'T TALKING TO YOU!"

Demak knew the boy's anger was justified....But it did sting all the same. And with how this was looking....Well, that hatred might just grow. And as Ruka might end her turn, Demak would take his own, "My turn, I draw!" Another powerful monster came into his hand. "I Summon a second Fighter's Ape!" he would, the second monkey warrior screeching and pounding its chest. "Battle! My two Fighter's Apes shall destroy your Sunlight Unicorn and Bloodsucking Koala!" And just like before, the apes charged...This time their attacks succeeding, Unicorn whinnying as it was beaten down brutally, and then Koala screeching as Fighter's Ape launched it skyward with a powerful uppercut, shaving a total of 200 Life Points from Ruka.

However, Regulus was there since Demak had not destroyed him in battle, shielding Ruka from feeling the full effect of the damage, though she would still doubtless feel something. "Demak..." Regulus growled, hovering around Ruka protectively. "I know how you must feel...And you are perfectly justified in doing so. In truth, I gave her a chance to leave...But she showed bravery and pride in her duty as a Signer and decided to face me. I face her not as just an enemy, but as an equal."

At this Rua and even Regulus seemed stunned....He had offered to let her go? "You dirty liar! You probably trapped her in there and forced her to fight!" Rua shouted indignantly.

Judai grit his teeth as he lifted his head, almost looking as if he were seeking out a symbol, an answer of some sort. He did indeed get one. It wasn't a sign that made him happy - far from it. But ... it was enough to help prove his point. A frustrated sigh elicited from Judai as he pointed upward, directing Rua's gaze to the towers hovering above them all. "As Yubel said, this really isn't going well. But if we try to intervene now ... it may just make this duel end if the God this man possesses wishes for it to do so. Had we come before Ruka activated her disk ... maybe this could be different. But right now? We have to wait and see if she can begin evening this out, because ... you all need it."

"Trust me though. I do get it. If I could, I'd take her mark and go fight for her too. I seem to have come here at the very wrong time in some respects. For all I can do ... there's a lot I can't help with and, unfortunately, these duels fall under that category. If I fight ... it'll just be as an ally, not a Signer."

And frankly, he didn't know if his victories would mean anything at all aside from simply that. A win, certainly, but would it cause any of the towers that had activated to shut off? He wasn't counting on it. It'd take a Signer to achieve such a feat and, unfortunately, neither he nor Rua fit that bill.

"R-Rua, I know what the card does, but --- "

As Demak finished explaining, a rare but frustrated look would be flashed at Rua as Ruka turned and looked at her twin. "Please stop! Do you think I want to be here? Goodness, no! But stop ... breathe ... and think. It literally is exactly as he said. And knowing they have God cards? Had I left the Momongas alone, then .... that would have allowed for more than enough chances for him to summon if not his God, then something else huge and dangerous. Possibly a card which could surpass Ancient Fairy Dragon's defense if it was powerful enough."

"So ... I know dueling isn't my forte, be it physically or otherwise. But please ..."

Her hands got as close to the barrier without physically touching it, mimicking the gesture of her hands pressing against her brother's to try to calm and reassure him.

"Trust in me if absolutely no one or nothing else. I know my deck and what it can do. And I ... if I'd just ran away and tried to make you or any of the other fights for me? Rua ... you saw how upset I was being unable to go with you to the Spirit World. If any of you were forced to do this for me?"

Ruka shook her head, now turning back to give her attention back to Demak. "I'd be more annoyed with myself than I already am."

For any other person, 200 points of life depleting would be little more than a slap to the wrist. But for Ruka? It was far worse. Fortunately, with Regulus's presence, it was definitely lessened. Indeed, though, she did feel something enough to make her wince and whimper in pain. "T-thank you, Regulus. D...draw!"

The same smile she'd first given Demak would reappear as Ruka shook her head once more. "He's being honest. It was actually the first thing he said to me at all ... that he'd let me go if I wanted to. But ... I already said why I didn't take that up. Don't misunderstand me, though. I definitely wanted to ... part of me did, anyway. But Rua ... you, Regulus, Kuribon ... mom and dad ... you've all protected me for all of my life. I can't just make you do this forever, even with me having a sensitive and weak body. Eventually ... I'd need to start doing things for myself. I just ... didn't expect those types of tasks to be as dire as this duel is."

Once again, Ruka looked down at her hand ... and there was indeed something that could be played. It wasn't her preferred method ... but this would be for the best, somewhat unfortunately. "I play Swords of Revealing Light!"

It'd only be three turns, but that could - with any luck - make all the difference to help further turn this around in her favor. "And for now ... that ends my turn."

In truth, Demak was glad that he had kept Regulus around; the lion did his part in absorbing as much of the damage as he could. Even so, seeing her wince was not easy; little doubt it was because of Cusillu's dominion over the exact animal that made up the greatest portion of his Deck. Part of him regretted now accepting the Emperor's gift; had he known his opponent would be a young girl like Ruka, he would have rejected it.

All the same, he remained silent as she reprimanded her brother. This was between them, and he could entirely understand his view. Raising an opponent's Life in a Duel was usually a very idiotic mistake...But in this instance, it made absolute sense. Ruka understood the gravity of the situation, and did everything she could to stop him from gathering sacrifices. But, unknown to her, even if he had his God in his hand - which he did not - he also had no Field Magic active, and neither did she. Perhaps the knowledge of his God needing a place for their energies to stabilize had been bestowed upon her, making her not use a Field Magic in the first place, or she just did not have one.

Regardless, he let their conversation continue, soon witnessing her take her next turn. And the she played a very powerful card, one which he could do naught but wait out. "The Swords of Revealing Light..." he would say, feeling the heat wash upon his robed figure, the light of the divine swords making his golden irises glint.

"Have some confidence in your sibling, young one. She Duels with a clear mind and a strong will. As I said before, I will battle her with the respect she deserves." he would say, turning his attention from Rua to his opponent. "My turn! I draw!"

Taking the top card of his Deck, he saw that there was little else he could do. The Swords all but blocked his attacks....And in truth, her strategy worked two-fold, as she might soon see. "I end my turn." he would say, the two Apes on his side of the field having their ATK lowered back to the starting value of 1900.

"My Fighter's Apes are fueled from the rush of battle. On my turn, if they do not attack, any strength they gain is lost and they are returned to what they were when they first gained it." he would explain in case she had any confusion.

Rua wiped at his eyes as Ruka had walked away. It wasn't fair! He was supposed to be protecting her...But now he just had to sit and watch!? Clasping his hands together, he then said in his mind, "God....Please don't let Ruka lose! Let her win! I'll give anything, even my Life if I have to!"

Judai continued to hold onto Rua's shirt, keeping him from being hasty and going straight into the barrier. He'd give Demak a nod back ... though not without sneaking an irked look in. Contrary to his words, he wasn't overly fond of this happening either. Hell ... he took even less joy in knowing that no matter the outcome, he'd have to tell Crow that none of them could stop or have helped Ruka.

"I made a promise too, remember? To watch and take care of you both also? So if you think you're the only one hating standing here and feeling helpless? No. You're definitely not alone. I do not enjoy the next time I'll see Crow ... but I'll accept any punches he may want to give me. It's more than fair enough."

Slowly but surely, he felt Rua's struggles slow ... then eventually cease. Only when Judai was confident enough in believing Rua wouldn't attempt to run forward again did Judai finally let go, sighing softly as he sat beside the young boy.

Ruka, meanwhile, gave Judai her own appreciate nod. Hope surged through Ruka as she noted that the apes' attack lowered back to 1900. It wasn't much ... but it was a start. So now .. if she could make this count somehow, she had something to start using to turn this duel around. After all, only Demak was forbidden from attack. Hers though? She could freely attack ... Ruka just needed to be able to surpass their attack. Nothing more, but certainly nothing less.

"Draw!"

A brief pause lingered in the air before Ruka continued with her turn. Sadly, while her idea was easy in concept ... being able to go through with it seemed to be a completely different story, evidenced by the lack of equip cards, stronger monsters, literally anything to assist her. "I'll set a spell or trap and end my turn." At this, Ruka didn't dare look back. She could practically feel Rua's heart sink along with hers. She hated how few options her hand was seeming to be providing her with.

If she didn't know any better, these Gods influenced how the duels went. Then again ... what was to say that wasn't possible? It would explain why things were so dire and why so many of the Towers were lit up.

Hopefully the others can figure something out should I fail.

It was clear enough that Rua still was not pleased at being sidelined. No, if anything it pissed him off! It should be him in there! He was the older brother, he should be protecting her! But....Judai did make it clear that this wasn't an ideal situation. No one could interfere here....Which meant having to watch.

And pray Ruka could turn this around still turn this around. As it stood, her Swords of Revealing Light prevented Demak's Fighter's Apes from wreaking havoc on her Life Points. But after passing her turn, she just had two left before she was wide open again. And with only Setting one card in the backrow? It wasn't looking good.

Demak lowered his head just the slightest bit, his eyes darkening a little as he considered what other traps she had laid for him. No doubt she was hoping to get something to reverse her poor fortune thus far. And part of Demak was hoping she did; if he had to Duel her, he at least wished it was more even than it was now. "I know exactly what you are thinking, but no, I am not affecting the outcome here. She made the short-sighted decision to ignore your generosity and continued this Duel. Fate is punishing her for her error in judgment." he would hear Cusillu say, Demak grimacing a bit as he placed his hand on his Deck.

"My turn! I draw!"

And once more, his hand turned up empty. Well, not entirely empty; he had monsters he could Summon, but since he could not attack all he could do was keep them in his hand. Doing otherwise would be foolish.

"I end my turn." was all he said, not playing another card or even changing his monster's positions.

"WHAT THE HECK?! You have five cards in your hand! Are you underestimating her?!" Rua shouted, gritting his teeth as Demak chose to remain silent to the boy's remark, only stating "It is your turn, young lady."

Admittedly, Ruka was a bit curious as to why Demak didn't do anything at all himself. He could have at least put another spell or trap if not monster. But either way, it wasn't her place to judge or tell him how to play. So compared to her brother, who attempted to judge him, she just silently accepted how things had gone. As Ruka drew ... a small smile appeared on her face. "Hey, onii-san? I want you to do me a favor regardless of how this duel goes."

She'd wait and make damn sure Rua was paying close attention before continuing. Ruka knew what she was about to state would be someone no one would expect. Not her brother, not likely Judai, and probably not Demak either.

"I want you to be able to forgive Demak as a person. Not as someone wielding a God. In fact, don't bother thinking of him that way. I can already hear the question of why, so here's my reasons. Rua ..."

Her eyes briefly closed before they reopened, her head nodding confidently.

"All of these people - from what we've heard and seen - would have been dead had they refused the offer to be brought back by the gods. Can you tell me in all honestly you wouldn't do the same if you were in their spots?"

And while Rua silently contemplated, Ruka drew her card, beginning to take her next turn. "Deep down, we both know you'd at least understand - if not accept - the offer. Because you've always been adamant on protecting me. So literally if to be able to keep doing that ...I do see you agreeing for that reason. And .... he really hasn't been treating me horribly or anything. It's clear enough to me that Demak, as a person, isn't completely bad and in his own rights is being coerced into this duel. No one wants to fade to dust and die .... no one I know of, anyway."

"So please .... forgive him, no matter how this goes. Now then ... I'll set a monster then shift Regulus to defense. Turn end!"

As Demak passed his turn, it was a terse few seconds before Ruka gave her speech. Regulus, Rua, and indeed even Demak were all shocked by the words that came out of her mouth. Ask to forgive an enemy that would dare harm a child? Even if he was allegedly forced to do so against any sort of protest or condemnation of the action?

That was a tall order for Rua, his eyes beading with tears as that kind smile of his sister appeared once more; was she truly okay with this? No...No she couldn't lose! "RUKA!" Rua cried out, trying to rush towards her, barrier be damned; thankfully Judai would be quick enough to catch him once more. "Of course I would! But not if it meant having to fight and potentially kill innocent people! You wouldn't want that of me if that were the case, no matter how much I would want to come back!" Rua shouted; she was always this way though. Too kind for her own good.

Regulus, meanwhile, just looked back at Ruka, eyes wide with disbelief....But in truth, this was how his own master would have acted as well in this situation. Still....It was...Odd, to hear words of forgiveness. He was much more inclined to agree with Rua on this, although he could also see Ruka's worldview as well. Demak had indeed treated her with dignity and respect, traits he did not expect from one tainted with such potent darkness.

If Demak had any significant emotional empathy left, he too would be joining in tears, that now-unfamiliar sensation of weight in his heart. Forever gone in his undead state. "I can see now. Why Ancient Fairy Dragon entrusts you with her power. You have her heart, young lady...You truly are incorruptible and pure as sunshine." It was all children should be....And to think he would have to snuff her out like an unwanted candle.

The last bit of light in the darkness.

He would naturally understand if the boy wouldn't heed his sibling's words; his hands would be twice stained with the blood of a child after this. Even now though, he could feel Cusillu pushing against him, urging him onward. "My turn! I draw!" he would say, pulling another card from atop his deck.

"Good....With this, we can steal Regulus and use him for our purposes! Now do it!"

Demak, however, could at least refuse that much. "I Summon Unifolia, Holy Beast of the Forest!" he would say, Ruka soon seeing yet another of the Forest's denizens used against her. The magnificent lichen-coated unicorn whinnied, chains of darkness binding it painfully. Part of Zeman's work to compel the Beasts of the Ancient Forest to do his master's bidding. "I then activate its effect! If I have only Beast-Type monsters in my Cemetery, I can release it to Special Summon another Beast-Type monster from my hand!" Taking another card, he then placed it on his disk, declaring "Come! Ancient Crimson Ape!"

And at this, a particularly massive ape beast appeared, its body coated in heavy wooden armor, wielding a shield and cudgel as it roared violently. Regulus retreated a little, preparing to shield Ruka in case he might try to attack. "Zeman..." Regulus snarled angrily, infuriated that one of the Forest's most precious defenders was used as a sacrificial offering. "Normally a monster Summoned by Unifolia's power wouldn't be able to attack, but since your Swords of Revealing Light are still active until the end of my turn, that matters little." Demak would say.

"And with that, I end my turn....And as such, the Swords also vanish."

And indeed, the Sealing Swords all began to fizzle and fade out, leaving the arena that much darker...And with 3 powerful monsters on the field, Demak had managed to build an offensive that would not be easy to break. "FOOL! Why did you not take Regulus?! You could have used him!" he heard Cusillu shout in his mind, Demak saying nothing in reply.

"YOU SAY YOU'RE SORRY FOR HAVING TO DO THIS....WELL THEN, WHY DON'T YOU JUST GO OFF YOURSELF IF YOU'RE SO AGAINST FIGHTING A CHILD!? BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT SORRY, YOU COWARD!" Rua screamed, teeth grit in growing frustration.

Ruka gently shook her head as her brother replied to the rhetorical question. "Even still, you are still admitting that you may accept it. That's enough for me to hear. Look ... am I happy I have to do this? Far from it. This is perhaps one of the very last things I would rather be doing. But ... " Ruka merely gave a nod towards her arm, a sad expression mingling in with her smile. "I can't just transfer this and, as I've said, that's if I wanted to in the first place. Unfortunately, these marks are some of the few things that don't care if the older or younger individual bears it. It doesn't discriminate or have any kind of bias. I mean ... Celeste is completely blind, and yet, she also got chosen."

Her head lifted as she gazed up at the towers, frowning as she took note of how many were already lit up. A nervous gulp echoed as she looked back over at her field, then Demak's, and finally Demak himself. Her smile widened at the praise ... and there were some silver linings coming to her head should this duel end in his favor. She had considered trying to tell Rua them, but ... no. He was already having a difficult enough time just watching. She doubted he'd accept her words at all ... certainly not easily.

Which was fair in some regards. While Ruka could definitely understand her brother and where he was coming from ... her own reasoning was a large part of why she was fine accepting any possible outcomes. Any and all suffering, be it from the mark or her frail body, would be over. And honestly? That much would be a relief.

She knew Rua wouldn't have cared about helping take care of her ... but it shouldn't have to be his job alone. Alas, with their parents being gone constantly, that duty was effectively pushed upon him. Frankly ... if Rua could survive this entire ordeal ... that'd be something good in her mind and eyes. Preferably with her, of course, but she wasn't foolish enough to see that this was not going as smoothly as it could be.

Ruka started to draw her next card ... and quickly pivoted to look at Rua, looking nothing short of horrified.

"Rua! What are you saying?! If you swore you would never take a life, then how can you even suggest for someone to take theirs?!"

Another sigh, one holding hints of mental exhaustion more than any other emotion, left her lips before she calmed down and continued. "I get it. This is hard to watch, and probably making you bitter. But don't sink to those degrees. Don't let hatred consume you. That's the brother I've had nor known. Please ... stop making this harder than it already is."

Ruka kept her gaze locked onto her brother for a bit longer before turning back around and facing Demak once more. "Now ... draw! I activate Dian Keto and set another monster. Turn end!"

As things were ... she would have summoned Sunny Pixie, as well as flip summoned her other set monster, if her cards added up to Synchro Summon. Sadly ... she was just short by one star. As such, defense position was the best move to make.

Demak said nothing as his sister tried to correct her brother's viewpoints; he did not blame the lad for feeling this way. "Such an annoying child. After this Duel is complete, let us grind him into dust." he heard Cusillu huff in his mind; and there was little doubt the God would do it too. "No. The boy is not our target. Ruka is; besides, we have two other towers to ensure remain undisturbed."

Rua did stare back at his sister as she scolded him; she had the potential to die! How could he NOT be upset that someone would go through with taking her life if they were so weighed by guilt about it?! His tears flowed more freely as the fear that she was truly saying her last goodbyes got more and more pronounced. Did she sense she wasn't going to win this Duel?

And then she said those words, words that made his own die in his chest.

"I get it. This is hard to watch, and probably making you bitter. But don't sink to those degrees. Don't let hatred consume you. That's the brother I've had nor known. Please ... stop making this harder than it already is."

He sniffed, his teeth grit as he began to cry even more.

But Demak, seeming to know this was about to end, just said, "My turn! I draw! I summon Voltech Kong in Attack Position!" Another giant ape-beast appeared, this one outfitted with a series of electrical emitters, sparks of electricity rushing off him as he pounded his chest.

Demak saw that she had three Set monsters. And with Voltech having the lowest ATK power of the 4 he had assembled, he knew damage was inevitable. He just wished he had a way to end it this turn.

"Fighter's Apes! Destroy her two face-down monsters!" he would command, both of the strong monkeys howling as they launched their attacks, the monsters crying out as their images shattered. "Now, Ancient Crimson Ape! Attack Regulus! Ancient Mace!" The massive ape-beast raised his Weapon high, before long delivering a crushing blow to the lion, Regulus roaring as he was extinguished.

"Voltech Kong, direct attack! Voltaic Slam!"

The electricity primed ape rushed Ruka, a meaty fist socking her in the stomach as a surge of electricity would run through her afterwards; thankfully, Ancient Fairy Dragon would still be there to help less the pain, but it was still something to not overlook. "When Voltech Kong inflicts battle damage, my opponent must send one card from their Deck to the Cemetery for each LIGHT-Attribute monster I have on my field! Both Ancient Crimson Ape and Voltech are LIGHT-Attribute, so two are sent away! Voltaic Drain!"

Surges of electricity pulled two cards from the top of Ruka's deck, sending them into the abyss. Even with how strong she was, he knew that had to hurt and it did not cause him any pleasure. But Cusillu? "Good....Her field is wide open. Crush her on your next turn!"

At this Demak would just say, "I apologize again, young lady. Apologize I must be the one to put you through this...Ancient Fairy Dragon, if you can hear me, please protect this girl however much you can. I end my turn."

You very well may need to help out.

A ghost of a smirk adorned Judai's lips as he heard Yubel speak up.

You think I wasn't intending to do so? That said, my main worry ... is will anything I do matter? I'm no Signer, after all.

If Yubel were beside Judai, she would have done something that wasn't typical of her at all. She'd shrug ... a gesture he could feel and detect from within him.

Maybe, maybe not. Even still, you agreed to help out however possible, did you not?

I did ... but I'd prefer if my efforts would lead to something good. A turn around of some sort. I suppose though ... that will be one way to find out, by seeing about helping turn the tide around.

And now Judai would feel Yubel grinning a genuine smile. Not a cocky or smug smirk like she'd usually have, but something more real for once. Which caused him to lowly chuckle and wear his own slightly cocky smile.

And what's with that, boy?

Just amusing how even you're becoming a bit more human.

Tch. Don't get too used to it. This realm is a different one. Now ... focus. You'll likely need to hold the boy back. The duel's drawing near its end.

And indeed, those words helped Judai snap back to reality in time to witness Demak clear Ruka's field. Now, she had no more monsters defending her life. And going off the set cards as well as the fact she hadn't used them yet? Either bluffs or cards that had certain circumstances which Demak hadn't performed for her to be able to activate them yet. Either way, this was not looking even somewhat good for Ruka.

Ruka gulped slightly as she watched everything she'd taken the time to summon vanish in the blink of an eye. As she drew the next card off the top of her deck ... a grimace adorned her face. She could see the same thing Yubel had informed Judai; the end was indeed near. And, somewhat sadly, it wouldn't be the way anyone would want it to go ... not even Demak himself, as he hinted at.

"I summon Sunlight Unicorn and then activate its effect!"

Sadly, it wasn't what she was looking for. Thus, once again, the card was sent to the bottom of the deck. Well ... at least this way, she was forcing him to attack her monster in order to get a clear shot. Also ... a quick bit of math implied she could barely survive the onslaught. Assuming his field kept the exact same monsters, that was.

"Turn end!"

Demak watched on as the young Duelist tried in vain to turn it around; it seemed fate had demanded her death this day. And much as he wanted to defy this unjust life termination...Cusillu would only make it that much worse if he did. So long as the Signer was defeated, he knew Cusillu would not interfere.

He was a sadist....And if he could do anything to help this girl's passing be less painful, he would go through with this Duel.

And once more, her Deck failed to give her a miracle, making Cusillu laugh in his head. "Beautiful...Just beautiful. Did you see her face as the last card she drew failed to give her a solution? Zeman might have lost control of the Forest, but it is clear she has no more influence on it than you any longer!" Cusillu gleefully chuckled, making Demak grimace.

And as she ended her turn, indeed she would survive this onslaught...Provided his field remained the same, but as the next draw would show, this would not be the case. "My turn! I draw!" he would declare, pulling the top card of his Deck and causing Cusillu to practically howl in his head with laughter. "You wished for a way to end this quickly did you not?! There you have it! Now use it and DESTROY HER!"

Demak would then just say, "Young lady...Please forgive me for what I am about to do." he would say, but then she seemed to play another card to try and damage him.

"Reverse Card, Open! Permanent Trap, Magical Power Thorn!"

So...A card that would inflict burn damage for each card he discarded? Had he had Magician's Ape earlier, there was little doubt that card would have damaged him a good deal. But as it stood, he would say, "First I will Summon Otter-Koala from my hand!" At this Ruka would see another beast of the Ancient Forest come to life, its form too covered in chains of dark energy. "I then activate its effect! Since I control another Beast-Type monster, I can choose 1 Beast-Type monster I control and raise its Attack Power by 1000 points! And I will give to none other than Otter-Koala itself!"

It was here that Ruka might see another disturbing facet of the darkness that had infected the Forest: Otter-Koala let out a deranged screech, its form twisting and mutating into something hideous, its power shooting up to 2200 points, its form doubled in size and its eyes possessing a rabid and feral glow to them. Just what had Zeman done?!

"Then I activate the Magic Card, Fusion!" This was a card that Judai would likely recognize and even be shocked was being used by forces of Darkness even in this world. "I fuse together one of my Fighter's Apes and Voltech Kong from my field along with Magician's Ape from my hand!" As the vortex appeared, Demak then chanted, "Beasts of the Forest, come together now and manifest as the eternal shield!" He then clasped his hands together strongly, saying "Fusion Summon! The violent protector of the Forest, Guardian Chimera!"

What emerged was nothing short of a monstrosity: The Forest's energies clearly flowed through this creature, but it was wrong....Something had twisted this beast, made it sinister. And as it emerged in full, it bellowed loudly, the sound enough to even cause Rua's chest to tighten in horror. "W...What is that thing?! There was never anything like that in the Forest before! I know it!" he would shout.

Demak then said, "When this card is called out, I activate its effect. On your field, I destroy cards equal to the number of monsters used on my field to Fusion Summon it! Fighter's Ape and Voltech Kong were on my field, so I destroy your face-down card and Magical Power Thorn! Death Striker!" The snake-head tail from the beast then shot to Ruka's field, destroying her only means of back-row support. All without him losing a single Life Point. "And then, I draw cards equal to the number of monsters I used from my hand for its Fusion Summon! Magician's Ape was the only one, so I draw one card!"

Taking the top card from his Deck, he knew this was the end....And while this much damage would indeed zero her Life, he looked over and saw Rua panicking; the boy looked about ready to cry. It seemed he had noticed the Life Point differential...And this was the end.

"First, I will have Fighter's Ape destroy Sunlight Unicorn!"

The juiced-up monkey screeched as it jumped up and landed on the majestic monster, a powerful fist crushing it as Ruka was dealt 100 points of damage. "Then I will have Ancient Crimson Ape and Otter-Koala attack you directly!" Both monsters landed their blows, Ancient Fairy Dragon's protection coming alive again...But this couldn't nullify all the damage, and even Ruka would be hurt a good deal from this amount of damage, her Life falling by another 4800 points.

"WAIT! DEMAK! DON'T DO THIS!" Rua shouted, tears falling down his face as he indeed, tried to pull from Judai's grip....Guardian Chimera was the last to attack. "Guardian Chimera....End this Duel! Violent Roar!"

At this, the horrifice Fusion monster let-out an ear-shattering scream, Rua even almost forced to his knees as he slapped his hands over his ears, the sheer power would blast Ruka with everything it had, slamming into her frail body as all 3300 of its Attack Points drained her Life to 0. The Ape Tower lit up completely, its entire surface now pulsing a sickly yellow as the flames persisted, Demak coming over to stand above Ruka.

"Please do not hold this against me, brave lady Ruka.....Minusize." he would say as he held out an open hand over her, Ruka's body quickly and painless petrifying....And with a snap of his fingers, Demak turned her into dust, every last speck of which shimmered as it drifted towards the Ape Tower, her body and soul consumed for the God.

"RUUUKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!" Rua would shout, his eyes practically gushing tears at this point as Demak could do not but stare at where the young woman had been....And with a powerful leap, he was gone, the flames around the Tower quickly converging and causing it to pulse louder, drowning out Rua's anguished cries as he wept and fell to the ground on his knees.

With her fall...This was the Fourth Tower to become lit up, and the Dark Signers one step closer to their goal.

Ruka at least managed to offer Demak a nod as he asked for forgiveness. She could feel it ... this truly was the end. And the realization was causing her pulse to quicken. If this was how it was going to go ... fine. But she wasn't going down without some sort of fight. "Reverse Card, Open! Permanent Trap, Magical Power Thorn!" In concept, it was a decent enough idea. But as Demak continued his place ... Judai would see her sets were exactly as he feared. They were cards that needed certain conditions and, sadly, Demak didn't fulfill them. No cards were discarded from his hand and sent to the graveyard.

It was a wishful thought, if only because he did have ample enough cards and opportunities to do this, but ... no. It didn't play out that way.

"I'm sorry, Rua ..." Ruka shakily choked out, watching Demak's turn rapidly play out.

And indeed, when it got to Demak playing Fusion? His eyes did narrow a bit. The last time he'd seen anyone use that was Shivini ... but even then, that didn't hold an aura of malice surrounding the summoning. That had been a genuinely friendly duel ... prior to whatever force had caused the damage to become real intervening, anyway.

So ... they can use that too, hmm? he mused, quickly gripping back onto Rua's arm as Demak began ordering his monsters to attack. He firmly shook his head no, giving a nod towards the barrier still keeping everyone else separated from Ruka. "Don't be rash!" Judai hissed. "I'm sorry too. Believe it or not .... I've been here before myself. I've been forced to watch people I care for go into situations even this dire ..."

Rua would feel Judai's hand begin to tremble as he clenched tightly onto the cloth.

"I truly am .... I meant it. If I could deal with that barrier, I would have much sooner ...."

And should Rua look back, he'd see tears forming in Judai's eyes. A sight that no one had seen thus far, not even anyone from Yomi or The Disciples.

The crowd would hear a loud, blood-curdling scream as Ruka's life depleted, only halting ... as Demak cast the Minusize curse upon her. Or, depending on one's point of view, it was a bit of a blessing. Her suffering? Gone ... just as even she had assumed not but a few turns ago. And even though the scream may very well embed itself into Rua's mind, it at least wasn't echoing throughout the area anymore. A silver lining of sorts ... even if a very brutal one.

Only as the flames finally died down and vanished would Judai let go of Rua's arm. He lifted his head towards where Demak had been mere moments ago, using his arm to wipe his tears away before his gaze softened as it shifted back down to Rua.

" .... Take as long as you need. But once you're done ... we should head back to Crow's."

It was definitely a reunion he was not looking forward to in the slightest. But, sadly, it was one that needed to happen, no matter how much Judai was genuinely dreading the meeting.

Hotsuma Oboro
Even from here, the progress could be felt; the Towers were lighting up, one by one. And with Kiryu and Rutger having succeeded most recently, that made 3 Towers total energized for the ritual. The time was almost here; the day of the new moon was upon them, and at the stroke of midnight, when the moon and the sun were gone, total darkness would descend upon the land.

Or at least, that was what a certain young man was saying. He seemed quite joyful that Fayth had had her little 'cheat code' taken from her by Rutger. "The power of a Fallen and she couldn't even squash a bunch of spiders. Truly wasted potential, but oh well, what can I say? Lucifer was a bastard; only reason she was alive after our Facility duel was because he did some bullshit to protect her, I'm sure." he would muse aloud, the only other companion being a certain redhead.

And with her body currently chain to a large stone tablet, her energy being drawn to form a series of inscriptions as the chains worked with her limiter to keep her power from exploding outward, he would be able to technically do whatever he wanted to her. But, this was enough, he thought, especially with how painful this must be, having her power forcibly extracted regardless of resistance.

"Still think giving yourself up for death was noble, Akiza dear?" Hotsuma sneered amusedly. "I bet you thought you would just go to sleep and poof! Everything would be done. No more worries, no more guilt, no more hurting or pain you might cause, right? We-he-eelll, sorry to burst your bubble, buuuut you and I are going to be here for a just a bit longer, and then and only then will I grant you Death's sweet embrace."

He pulled up a chair, sitting down in it and saying "You know, I figured you would have been glad; I mean, this is what Divine ultimately wanted wasn't it? Control? So in a way, I'm still carrying out his wishes! Funny how that works, isn't it? And besides, I did save you from Yuna gutting you like a trout; lord only knows you deserve it for all pain you put us through. So in a way, you should be thanking me for sparing you from Misty just curbstomping you into oblivion! You get to play out your Master's grand ambition, and I get to exact revenge on all the fucks who let my brother rot in the Facility just for trying to give me a better life! In a way, we both win!"

At this he would just pause, a sinister grin on his face as his red-irised eyes stared at her, watching her as she might reply.

Prior to feeling a weak but still noticeable surge of power, Aki's eyes had been closed. She'd thought her sparing had been pointless. All in all, she was far more confused than anything else, least of all scared about whatever was - or wasn't in this case - happening. So if intimidation was Hotsuma's game? Well ... that was failing. Okay ... perhaps she was also frustrated with her powers being restrained. There was another accurate sensation.

And then ... concern as her eyes opened in time to see the Spider tower light up. Things weren't going badly. No, this was a fucking disaster it seemed which was ... a combination of pathetic and disheartening simultaneously.

Aki hadn't really had much love for any of the Signers ... but she wouldn't be crazy enough to cheer for these guys, either. Her eyes remained shut as she softly - yet firmly enough despite being constantly drained - replied back to Hotsuma. "I'm still not sure what you're going for. Clearly waiting for something, but what exactly? I don't really know and in some respects? Part of me isn't caring that much. At this point .... just do whatever you're going to."

A ghost of a smirk appeared. "Unless you can't or are changing your mind, that is."

Her head shook as Aki clicked her tongue.

"You're as bland of company as Misty was. Just another broken record. Do you all think I'm that stupid? That I haven't thought about a lot of things I've said or done in the past? You really think it never dawned on me how fortunate I was to not be run through by Yuna?" Finally her eyes opened as Aki forced her head to lift as she made eye contact with Hotsuma. "Trust me, I did. Many, many times. I had more than enough opportunities to think and dwell on such things, particularly before Misty came and fought me. I've understood everything from my past, recent or otherwise. I've acknowledged my fortune ... and that it's going to come to an end sooner as opposed to later."

"But since you don't seem to get the hint ... I'll say it one last time. Yes. I have zero regrets putting myself at risk of dying. I do still think it's noble enough ... if only because the war is not yet completely finished. True, it's not looking good .... but it is often at moments like these where the tides tend to turn when one least expects it. Nothing is yet set in stone. Now ..."

Her head turned away as Aki closed her eyes once again.

"If that's all you wanted, leave me be. I refuse to be your entertainment .... or anything else aside from a prisoner, really."

Hotsuma Oboro::Ignacious
Hotsuma just tilted his head amusedly as she made her statement, giving a light laugh as she told him off. "Why would I tell you anything in any way that might affect the outcome? To mirror your words, do you think I'm that stupid? Just because you're restrained and sealed doesn't mean you're a threat, but luckily I've had plenty of time and resources to make sure this little scheme comes to fruition."

Still, she was right; technically, this had to coincide exactly with the God's Towers being activated and the conditions all set right. He would have revenge.

"Ah, but you're already more than a mere prisoner; why, were circumstances different, I'm sure something could have happened between us. We could have been friends...Could have. But your standoffish attitude and righteous indignation seem to get in the way of that, don't they? Well, don't worry....One way or another, this will be over soon."

At this, however, another pulse would surge through; this one clearly that of another tower. "Speak of the Devil....I guess another Signer goes down. Damn shame...Wait, I think I know this one. That was where Demak was supposed to go....Which means little Ruka just got turned into ape chow. You really think you're fine being restrained while a kid dies? That's cold, Aki, even for a frigid bitch like you."

However....He then felt something, making his chest seize as his hand clutched at it. A short wheeze left him, his face turning into a grimace as his breathing grew deeper. "What the...." Hotsuma stammered, an eye closed as his voice changed. Not once, even but twice.

"Aki....Fight....Him...."

"Shut...your mouth...whelp...."

"Not me....Emperor...Never...ME!"

And as if that might add more clues to his actual identity, a pained howl left Hotsuma as his visage shattered....Revealing the Emperor in full, the 'fragments' of Hotsuma's form - skin and all - laying in tatters. And there stood the Emperor as Akiza had seen him before, when Hotsuma had managed his full transformation. Clad in his full armor and wielding his sword, the Emperor flexing a clawed hand as he plunged it into his own chest, squeezing on the heart and making himself able to regain control.

"Little...brat...." the Emperor wheezed, before long his 'visage' crawling from the floor, reforming itself and contorting his massive body back down to human size, soon becoming Hotsuma once more....Though for Aki? Had she managed to look, she would see the ruse had fallen.

Aki rolled her eyes, scoffing as Hotsuma attempted to chastise her about being cold regarding Ruka's death. "I never said that. That's just you trying to make a stupid assumption about me. It's true that I didn't exactly have a bond with any of the others. Even still .... as someone who had their own share of struggles at that age and before then, I wouldn't dare wish that type of fate on a child. So fuck off with that high and mighty act. You could - and some would say should - be with the others. But no. Like the coward you are, you've turned your back on them .... even though they've always stayed beside you. You can talk all you want, but that's all you're doing. Talking the talk, but when it comes to walking the walk? That's questionable at best. We both know that deep down, you're terrified of failing at anything again. You did to save your brother as well as Yuna, so why not take the easier route in this war, right? And that's exactly why the restraints are in place. You wouldn't be able to handle me, hell ... you technically didn't against Yuna. She just snapped back to her normal self in time to get you to a hospital, otherwise you wouldn't be here."

There. That'd shut him up. She knew it'd be a wound he wouldn't want being ripped off like an irritating scab again. And yes, it'd likely come with a slap to Aki's face, but frankly? She'd take it if that allowed him to fall down a peg or three.

As the silence between them lingered, Aki gripped on her lower lip. This was probably it. The hit she was expecting was going to arrive. Except ... it ... didn't? Her eyebrows quirked as she watched Hotsuma grip at himself. Specifically, his heart ... and then ... uttered words she most definitely didn't expect to hear.

"Aki....Fight....Him...."

"Fight ... who?"

And though she probably should have expected the answer, it was soon revealed. She blinked a few times, seeming a small bit shocked. It was true that back when Divine had been keeping Hotsuma and The Emperor, he did seem to struggle as far as keeping control of both his mind and body. So now to see that had become a reality?

Aki clicked her tongue and shook her head.

"Well ... that's unfortunate. Very much so. And yet ... I can't say it's too amazing in its own rights. It certainly helps clear a lot up though."

And indeed it did. The answer to everything Aki had taunted him about failing to do mere moments ago? This was likely linked to all of them in some form or fashion. It hadn't been Hotsuma that failed ... not directly. His body, yes, but not him who was in control. And now ... it was clear he hadn't been that way for quite some time.

How the hell do you want me to fight him though? she mused, frowning at the thought. The only immediate thing that made sense was with her wits and will power.

Even if the chains were off, the chances of a more physical confrontation had drastically just dropped. Not quite to a zero percent chance of winning, but it still wasn't as high as it normally could have been, either. So with that option ultimately gone ... it made sense to stay ahead of him in a mental game of chess. And already, she had a few thoughts on things she could try to do while staying calm enough.

But ... not now. That'd be borderline suicidal. She'd have to wait to be alone before even daring attempting to contact Yuna and the others. This reveal, though, had most definitely cleared a lot up for her, and she knew if she could warn the others? It'd allow them to at least figure out how to go about handling him should they run into him ... or even if they were on their way to try to find him. Both were viable options, as Aki didn't envision them simply forgetting about Hotsuma, despite his actions ... or lack of depending on one's point of view.

Little did she know just how right she was ...

The Emperor snarled as Akiza made her comment; curse that brat for being able to break his illusion! It seemed there was still one pest left to deal with. And he had to know she would attempt to contact someone. Even as his visage reformed, he could see in Akiza's eyes she knew. That Hotsuma hadn't been "Hotsuma" for a while.

"This changes nothing, witch. You are still here with me...And since now you know my secret, I don't have to play as nice. I was hoping to use this as a last resort...But now you've forced my hand." the Emperor would say with a wicked grin, still taking on the visage of Hotsuma as that familiar black energy appeared in his hand, tendrils of dark mass coalescing as something reached into the Abyss beyond. When it disappeared, she would see a small wriggling creature in his hand.

"I know what you think, Akiza. I know how you think; even with them having all but disowned you, you still think you can try to make things right. Somehow, someway; that IS why you bothered to help bring Takeshi and Yuna back to their family in Yomi, wasn't it? You could have left after Kiryu escaped, washed your hands free. That is why you felt some pang of regret after the one named Hajime told you to 'fucking leave us alone', wasn't it?"

Giving a light laugh, he then approached her, the creature seeming drawn to her veritable geyser of mental energy, wriggling to try and get closer. "Well, forgive me if I rob you of the chance to play hero....Or, 'heroine', rather." He then placed the creature on her head, its wings flapping energetically as its tendril-like legs would pierce her skin, spreading out and beginning to infiltrate her various synapses, invading her very thoughts and filtering her words; she might still . "I will tell you this: I wouldn't try to destroy it if I were....Otherwise, it would do this."

At this Akiza would feel an immense pressure inside her head and mind, her body being subjected to some of the worst physical pain she could possibly imagine. Like knives were twisting into every cell, every fiber of her being. And though it would only last for a second or two, it might seem to stretch on for minutes. Only when it subsided did he grab her chin, forcing her to stare into his red eyes.

"You might have glimpsed behind the veil, Akiza...But it will still be you that brings down the final curtain on this world. While this creature is attached to you, you will not be able to say or do anything that will affect the outcome. Anything you might think, this beast will alter...And if you destroy it, well, I hope you enjoy life as an invalid. Because that is all you be reduced to. You won't die, but you might as well be, and that means I can use your body in any way I wish."

"Nothing?" Aki repeated as a ghost of a smirk appeared, "I beg to differ. You're desperate. Maybe just a small bit nervous, if not scared now. I doubt that's something you've felt in a long time ... probably since you were in Arcadia, if not when you were rushed to the hospital. For better or worse, we know each other well enough, so at least be generous enough to do what I am with you and spare me your bullshit."

When he conjured that .... thing ... Aki couldn't help but raise an eyebrow, albeit with a grimace on her face. She originally felt the urge to roll her eyes as he corrected himself and used the term heroine.

As if that --

But before the thought could finish her eyes widened .... and easily the loudest, most painful set of screams she'd elicited left her lips. Damn the consequences of what may or may come from trying to destroy it, because that's exactly what her efforts were quickly forced on. And if not eliminating that ... creature ... then getting rid of the chains would work just as well. She writhed, conscious and aware enough of her desires and thoughts to struggle frantically. The pain seemed to simultaneously help her as much as it did hurt her ... if only because it also aided in remembering what she wanted, what she was thinking and focusing so hard about.

More out of instinct than much else, Aki tried to tug her head away, only to find herself looking up into Ignacious's crimson orbs as he spoke up once again. Her fists clenched as labored breaths rapidly left her lips. And as he finished? She spat at him ... and then chuckled, shaking her head.

"Are all of you Dark Signers the same? You must be, because I've had to repeat myself far too many times. Is that really supposed to scare me? The thought of being brain dead? I told you and Misty that I was ready to accept my death. You're the only one who seems not to be prepared yet, and the only thing that makes any sense whatsoever ... is because it's not the right 'time' or some nonsense, but you know what? In all honesty .... this very well might be, because .... grim as it is now, it can still be turned around. With or without me helping out, for that matter."

Aki's eyes shut tightly as she began concentrating on forming a link with Yuna, now knowing exactly what to expect; pain and lots of it. But if it could get the message across ... it'd be well worth it.

Yuna! Hajime! One of you please hear this, Hotsuma has me! He's not himself! The Emperor's taken over Hotsuma!

"So if you ... s-still ... want to delay killing me .... f-fine! But I'm not .... " Tears of agony started to appear in the corner of her eyes and her body began to violently tremble. Yet despite it all, she managed to finish her sentence, "... Not ... going to ... let anyone ... or anything ... use me ever again! D-Divine already did that for years as it is! If you really think .... I'm letting you succeed? F-fuck right off with that logic!"

Now that she was done talking with her demon captor, her efforts went back to the real message she wanted to relay.

Yuna! Hajime! One of you please hear this, Hotsuma has me! He's not himself! The Emperor's taken over Hotsuma!

She couldn't pinpoint it ... but there did seem to be something helping her. An unseen force of sorts aiding in the message getting sent. Aki had zero guesses ... but also that many cares. If there was indeed something else attempting to assist her in any form or fashion? She'd take it and, at that rate, would need it. Because this was going to take a hell of a toll on her body ... but as far as she was concerned? It'd be well worth it in the end, even if that meant her life ceasing when this was all said and done.

The Emperor grimaced as she tried to play tough yet agian; what was it with mortals and defying those vastly superior to them? And they wondered why they suffered so much; they always had to fight. Go against the grain, try to 'break the chains' of destiny. Even the sounds of her screams just moments before were wiped of any joy she might have provided him; he had longed to hear her suffer, the arrogant witch who thought herself above everyone.

And even when she spat at him, his face remained one of a heavy grimace; and right as she might succeed in overpowering the beast's mental restrictions, its form threatening to explode from the sheer pressure she was applying to it - even as mind-breaking agony might wrack and writhe through every cell in her body - he would draw a fist back and drive it right into her stomach. A sickening 'crack' could be heard, likely knocking the wind out of her and even more pain running through her.

"That was just three ribs I just broke; you should be thankful this human shell is so feeble compared to my own." the Emperor would state. "I only delay in ending your existence because I unfortunately need you alive. And it does work best if you are cognizant and not some drooling invalid. But trust me, once the ritual progresses further, you will beg me to end your pathetic life."

At this, the creature atop her burrowed its tendrils deeper, now wrapping about her brain stem and tapping into her deepest memories. "This will keep you placated for the time being. Now, if you will excuse me...I have a world to finish conquering." he would say, turning on his heel and leaving her alone...For now.

Rua had finished his grieving, having to be led along by Judai once it was all said and done. Why did she do it....He was supposed to be her older brother. He was supposed to protect her! To keep her safe! His heart was heavy with hatred....Not just for the Dark Signers, but for himself. Sadness also permeated him, his once vibrant eyes dulled, almost lifeless.

It was indeed a huge shock for the young one, to see his sister destroyed before his very eyes. No one should have to endure that kind of loss. Even if Demak hadn't made her suffer on purpose...Those final screams of pain would haunt him forever. Along with that image of her being turned to stone...And then to dust. He would not speak a single word on the journey back. What could even be said anyway?

That she wasn't suffering? That would do nothing to console him...No, for this young man, the Dark Signers had achieved one goal: They had destroyed his reason to fight. And robbed him of his will. His wet cheeks and bruised knuckles from punching the ground so many times would be testament.

Eventually the two arrived at Crow's place; the children were still inside in case another madman like Bommer might try to hit them again. But Crow had seen them and come running out to check on them. "Judai! Ru...." It didn't take a genius to see the absolute state of the young green-haired boy; a familiar heaviness gripped his heart. But....He wanted to think....No.

"Judai....What happened?" Crow asked, his eyes narrowing as he stared at the older boy, hoping to God that this wasn't what it appeared to be, his own fists clenching.

Back
Top Bottom