Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Yu-gi-oh 5Ds: Rise of Darkness and Corruption (Athene/ImaginaryMuse & Razgriz)

This time around, Crow saw what Bommer was witnessing. His eyebrows rose ... what even was he watching, exactly? It seemed like a flashback, but ... why did it matter? When the truth got revealed, Crow couldn't help but smile. It was weak and faint as hell. But at least Bommer had, in his own rights, seen the light as it were. He understood that this choice, these powers ... they did indeed come with their drawbacks. And worse off, his revenge wasn't quite going the way he probably envisioned it. Maybe that could help slap sense into him?

It was a very, very hopeful wish, yes. Crow knew and understood that. But the duel wasn't over yet, so ... it wasn't a completely impossible thought yet.

"Hang ... hang in there. Bommer!"

The smug nature was quickly replaced by fear, both for himself and - even if some may say it was unwise - his opponent. Sure, Bommer had pissed him off in how he got his attention. But it took a lot to genuinely hate anyone, much like Yusei. Besides, even if it seemed a bit late, he was at least seeming to understand his mistakes. That was more than enough for Crow to hope for any ending but death for either of them.

"Tch ... " Crow gritted through his teeth, his fists clenching as Chacu took over in Bommer's stead.

Fuck, Crow heard echo in his head as the battle phase arrived. This can't be how it ends! Damnit ....

His heart legitimately sank, particularly when his Black Thunder was destroyed. That son of a bitch. He had more than one spell or trap, and yet ... he'd gotten rid of the very one he wanted to use.

Damnit, damnit, damnit!

Even though part of him wanted to shut his eyes, he refused to run, or act as if he were doing so. The first set of attacks threw Crow backwards, making him land harshly onto his back. His vest and shirt tore enough that he could feel some sharp rocks cut along his back. Before he could get back up to his feet, he was thrown back down again by the second assault, groaning as he tumbled a few times before going still.

He'd only remain stationary for about 45 seconds. But for Crow, it felt more akin to an eternity. His fists clenched as he dug his nails into his palm, forcing his eyes open and ensuring he didn't pass out just yet.

But what even can you do? he wondered as he shakily drew.

... Apparently, the answer was at the top of his deck.

"I summon Bora the Spear!"

At a first glance, it didn't look like much. Just an 1800 monster. However, anyone who knew Crow's deck understood why this mattered ... as did the last part of Bommer's turn.

"He'll attack the face-up defense Dark Sea Rescue, and in doing so, his effect activates! Bora can inflict piercing damage!"

Let it land, please ...

Crow watched intently ... perhaps more so than he ever had in his entire life. It was likely due to the blood loss, but everything seemed to play out in slow motion. From Bora flying over to him jabbing his weapon straight at the face up defense monster. The beeping of life points depleting caught Crow's ears ... as did the noise when it all vanished.

Relief swarmed through Crow as he allowed himself to fall back onto the concrete, mentally and physically exhausted. He'd done it. Even though he was sure a few times himself this wouldn't go in his favor, Crow had managed to draw everything he needed, and at literally the most perfect timing possible.

"Bommer?" he weakly asked ... only to see the last bits of him disappear. It was quick, but not so much he didn't hear a slightly pained cry before Bommer seemed to literally turn into dust and vanish into the very air itself. That made a shiver go down Crow's spine.

That ... would have otherwise been me, huh?

Whether it was the display he just witnessed or something else entirely, he got a decent enough second wind to get back to the house. He only hesitated for a few seconds ... before opening the door. A low "Damn" slipped past his lips. Sadly, some of the kids were still awake, so when the door opened ...

"Oh my god!"

"Crow nii-san, what happened?!"

"You need to get to a doctor!"

Crow flashed them all a sheepish grin. "I know, I know. Ruka? The first aid kit ... does it still have some supplies?"

Ruka gave a silent nod, unable to help but stare in shock and horror at how Crow looked. "Okay, good. I'll use that in a bit. Right now ... I need a few minutes. First thing's first ..."

"Do ... you want me to help you move?"

"No ... no thank you. I can get to the garage fine."

And he did keep that vow, although not without leaving a bit of a trail behind him. Once he got to his Wheeler, he swiftly hit down on the button that would connect him to Yusei as well as Jack's duel runners. And when they picked up ... well .... that in itself would give quite the hint on why he was so beaten. But his words would confirm it.

"Sorry to be the one to say this, but ... it's beginning. I just ... finished with Bommer. Yusei ... Jack .... this shit's real. At the end of it ... Bommer dusted away. He's gone. Dead. Please ... be careful. The damage ... is going to be real. And had I not won? Well ... neither of you would have gotten this heads up, I doubt. So ... use caution."

Right as he ended, his head turned to find Ruka quietly standing beside the door frame. He gave a slow nod, gesturing for her to come forward. "Okay ... give me that. I'm gonna ... tend to myself."

"But I can ..."

Crow slowly shook his head. "You don't need to get your hands dirty from my blood. Besides .. you did more than enough with helping keep the others safe. I'll get myself patched up. Stay with the others, okay? Help keep them sane."

As Ruka frowned slightly, he flashed her a small smile.

"I can imagine you're probably fed up with everyone telling you what to do or not do, huh? I'm sorry. But please trust me when I say I got this much and that you really are needed elsewhere."

A defeated sigh resounded from Ruka's lips. Slowly, she nodded and stood up. After watching for a few moments to make certain he did seem to be able to tend to his wounds well enough, Ruka heeded Crow's words and left. The first thing Crow did was get something to bite down on. All of this was gonna hurt ... real fucking bad, too. He'd already scared the kids just with his appearance. No sense in making it worse if he could avoid it.

Chacu growled as Crow summoned his monster, realizing just too late why Bommer had selected this monster. "I will drag you back to Hell with me! We will suffer together!" Bommer cried out in his mind.

"NO, I CANNOT LOSE TO A SIGNER! DAMN YOU!"

However, Chacu did as much...Bora's effect taking direct control of the flow of battle. And just as his spear pierced Darksea Rescue, the afterblast from the lethal lance pierced through Bommer's udead body, leaving a hole in his middle as his Life hit zero. The Tower, once brimming with energy, as well as the flames that surrounded them both, quickly and almost instantly vanished, a death howl leaving Chacu as his vessel was defeated, going to lay on his back

"Crow....I...." Bommer managed to choke out, wanting to say something...But unfortunately, a cry of agony washed over him, quickly cut short as his body disintegrated, dust collapsing in on itself...And though Crow would not see it, a card containing the last traces of Chacu's energy remaining behind. And as Crow might leave to take care of his business, a figure came into the fray. Giving a slight 'Tch' as an armored hand wiped away the dust, seeing the card.

"Chacu...You utter fool...Death suits you." The figure said, his voice gravely but strong as he picked up the card. "I...Ignacious...." came the God's voice, raspy and weak as its spirit began to fade, on the throes of death itself, the shadow-cloaked figure letting a mass of black tendrils emerge from his arm. "You still have use.....I will take this vestige of energy you have left. You have squandered my gifts...But worry not...I will ensure the others succeed where you have failed."

The tendrils surrounded the card, the God unable to cry out as its essence was consumed, what little left there was. The shadow-wrapped figure's glowing red eyes peered down at his hand, the fingers giving a little bit of a flex. "You always were weak, Chacu; it was your cowardice that caused us to fail last time." the figure growled, turning on his heel and leaving the area...To where though no one would be able to say.

Jack was already in the Satellite, having gone with Yusei to reacquaint himself; Goodwin had advised that the energies near the old reactor site were starting to spike again, and as such the time of the re-emergence of the Dark Signers was near. He could not unfortunately give anything more specific; it could be mere hours or a few days until they would be sought out. Akiza too had been dropped off in another part at her request; apparently, one of the Dark Signers had showed a very specific place to be at.

And when both of them had gotten the call? Yusei was rightfully worried, as was Jack. "Crow?! The hell happened to you?!" Yusei would ask, Jack coming over to see the bad shape their friend was in. And then Crow gave his answer, but the feed cut out before Crow could say anything else.

"So....It's begun then. Like Goodwin said....It must be bad if Crow got beat up as badly as he did. His Black Feathers are no joke..." Jack mused, Yusei nodding as he put on his helmet. "We should go and help him however we can...No doubt those kids are all worried sick about him being so banged up."

Once the pair did leave, the ride was silent as they contemplated what this meant: If his opponent turned to dust, that meant indeed the very same could happen to them if they lost. Looking over at Jack, he felt...a strange nostalgia. In a way, this was Team Satisfaction coming back together to stop the violence in the Satellite again. He wondered if Jack felt the same....

"OOOOH YUSEEEIIIIII~!"

Came a loud and boisterous as he was nearly sideswiped; both he and Jack slammed on their brakes as another Runner cut them off. And both would see a very familiar face. "Kiryu...." Yusei muttered, the silver-hailed boy taking off his helmet and flashing a maniacal smile. "Long time no see.....Jack, you're looking well. Better than the time you were pissing yourself back in the theater, anyway." Jack snarled, "If I recall, it was you like that ran like a coward...Twice!" Jack replied, Kiryu just laughing "Ran? Yes. But don't mistake that for cowardice; I just wanted to give you a little show....Oh, that girl you're fucking? How's she doing? Never figured you for the type to be into blind chicks, Jackie."

Jack gave his former comrade a distasteful frown, "Kiryu...." Their enemy laughed, Kiryu replying "Oh, don't be so sour....I'm just here for Yusei. You can go now." At this Jack shouted "Like hell I'm going anywhere! Your friend attacked Crow and the orphans! I'll des...." But then Yusei interjected, "Jack....Go." Jack just paused, looking at Yusei as the boy continued, "I have to do this...It's my fault Kiryu became who he is. Go check on Crow." He then gave a little smile, "I'll finish and meet up with you after...."

Kiryu grimaced, but just smirked, "Fine...Follow me, Yusei! I have something special for you!" And once the two were gone, their Runner engines fading into the distance, Jack continued on his way...But then his own mark lit up, making him wince as he felt it burn. And....It was pulling him in a different direction from Crow's place. Jack grunted in annoyance; he wanted to actually go check on Crow...But if this was his time, then he obviously didn't have a choice.

"Crow...I'll be there soon, but I have to finish this first!" And with that, he pitched his Runner to the right hard, going off to the west end of the Satellite. He happened to see a tower starting to rise in the distance as he traversed the broken land. Weird....This wasn't there before. And he felt his mark burn even more as his violet eyes laid their gaze upon it; it seemed that was the source....But what could await him there?

Fayth was back in the Tops, getting incredibly restless. The moment Jack had said he was going back to the Satellite, she asked to go with him. If simply being with him wasn't a good enough reason, she added that her own Mark had been acting up. Painfully so. It at least seemed to calm down while she showered, but ... how long would that last? She wasn't sure, nor confident enough to be here by herself. Regardless, Jack had said no and insisted she should stay behind and - most importantly - stay safe. She'd tried to argue that being here may be more unsafe ... which led to him admitting he understood the concern, but would be back before anything could happen.

So now ... she was trying to distract herself. It was at least working in some regards. A towel was wrapped firmly around her. The sight of her hair gave away what the towel would; that she'd recently finished up with a shower. Granted, it didn't stop her thoughts from saying she should still be with Jack, but she at least convinced herself he'd keep his promise. He was typically good with that.

Fayth just barely finished getting in jeans and a tank top before she quickly pivoted on her feet. "Hello?!"

"My, you've got really good senses. Though I have heard that's how the blind make up for losing their eyes - their other senses are amazing. Guess there's at least some truth to that."

Though Fayth didn't recognize the voice, she frowned all the same.

"Yes, I am one of them."

At those words, Fayth visibly blinked ... and then snarled. "You bitch, get out of my head!"

"What? Morningstar can't do that for you? Oh, that's right ... he actively can't. Not if we're around." She didn't need her eyes to feel the smug smirk Carly was wearing. And, going off the way she was talking, she was taking a book from Kiryu's page. Which did not bode well for any reasons she may be here.

I need to ...

Poor Fayth didn't even take a full step towards the door before bumping into something. A body ... likely the woman's. She also didn't take a step back before bumping into something else. This time ... glass?

"What the ... ??"

"Don't worry about that. It's the other factors you gotta fret about."

A quick feeling around would hint she was in some sort of a glass bubble. Pushing and hitting it revealed it was pretty damn sturdy. Carly merely ignored her efforts, knowing they'd all be in vain as she closed her eyes ... and focused on Jack's location. As she literally saw him in their mind ....

Poof ...

Both she and the imprisoned Fayth appeared before him. While he was driving, yes which would likely cause him to slam on the breaks. "Hello there, Jack. My, you were rather cruel, leaving someone this vulnerable alone. Ah well. I get to punish you for that. Now .... if you're smart, you'll duel me here. But if you refuse ..." Carly snuck a glance towards the bubble, smirking slightly. "Better hope she can swim, has great lung capacity, or both. So ... you gonna be smart? Or are you going to call my bluff and see I'm not fucking around?"

" ... You don't get to use me like this!" Fayth hissed angriliy.

"On the contrary, I'd say I do. Now ... hush and be a good girl."

"Let me fight alongside him. You'll get two Signers at once."

"Hmmm. That is true. And it certainly is tempting .... " Carly mused, chuckling slightly as she shook her head. "But no. I'm doing this on my terms. And that means dueling you both one at a time. That said, sit tight. You'll be next after Jack ... assuming he can still win duels, that is."

Jack seemed to get an increased sense of urgency for some reason; his Mark was burning more and more as he approached. "The hell is going on...." He muttered, getting frustrated as he opened up the throttle all the way, his Runner lurching as it accelerated. Something in his gut was telling him this was a bad omen; was this really the power of these 'Dark Signers'? Near the Tower, the weather seemed to get stormier...More ominous.

And then she appeared. Seemingly out of thin air, a gust of wind heralding her arrival as she landed on wings of black and orange energy, Jack's eyes widening as he slammed on the brakes, and then pitched his Runner down and to the side, barely coming to stop within inches of them both, the sounds of screeching rubber and grinding metal filling the air before sharply ending. His chest pounded as the dust kicked up, the smell of burnt rubber and dirt there for a moment before a breeze pushed it away.

"Carly?!" he would say, his eyes focused on her for a moment before he then saw Fayth. Imprisoned! His mouth narrowed into an angry line. She dared to challenge him to Duel? And then she went on to insult his integrity further, his fists clenching as an unfamiliar outrage bubbled inside of him. He kicked himself for leaving Fayth alone...But he felt the Satellite would be too dangerous, something Goodwin agreed with. Especially since they had no idea about her own Mark, or if Morningstar was well and truly on their side.

"Fayth...It's alright. I'll get you, on that you have my solemn promise." he would say, pulling his Duel Disk out of his Runner as Carly might call her godly energies into the living world. He saw the orange flames surround them, the Tower behind them coming alive and making both his and Fayth's marks burn strongly. A low grunt left his mouth as he clutched his wrist, his eyes narrowed as he stared at the raven-haired girl in front of him.

"The Carly I knew....Wouldn't resort to measures like this! This is something....That bastard Kiryu would do! Are you really so far gone you'd take a hostage?! " Jack snarled...Of course, the irony was that he had done the exact same thing some years ago. And that was a fact that made it sting so much worse.

"Mhm, it is indeed me. In the flesh."

More or less, she mentally added, knowing that on a technicality, she wasn't much better than Fayth. A reincarnated individual who had her own monster aligned with her. That was where the biggest differences came into play. Fayth had Morningstar on her side, relayed by Kiryu himself after he 'visited' the theater. And Carly now had Aslla Piscu on her side. A low 'hmph' would resound from Carly as a smug and very familiar smirk appeared on her face.

"The old me was weak. I mean, really. How pathetic can you be to get tossed out of a window and fall .... fifteen or more floors down?"

Granted, it had been Divine, and he'd used his Psychic powers as opposed to pure, raw strength. But it still didn't change that she was bitter about that memory.

"And all because I was doing some digging on some friends of yours. Yuna and Hotsuma. The experimentations that had been performed, especially on them, was quite the huge deal. But Divine was too strong, and I was too weak. And Kiryu ... he's actually helped me embrace this part of me much, much better. If anything, I owe him a bit."

Fayth visibly grimaced at those words; so she hadn't misheard her back when she arrived at Jack's residence. The tone had indeed been similar to Kiryu's for a good reason, it seemed.

"Jack ... "

The name came out in a frustrated whimper. How many times had something like this happened? How many times had people needed to help her out? And yet even now that she was supposed to have Morningstar ... it was still happening. Her fists clenched ... and just as quickly released, a pained gasp resounding as her own Mark acted up along with Jack's. She held her arm tightly, wincing as she slumped against the wall of the bubble.

"Good, good. Now that it's official ... "

Carly snapped her fingers. A very faint, red string would wrap around Jack's waist and the other would do so with Fayth's. "Don't bother trying to remove it. It will only leave when this duel ends, regardless of who wins. This is a link, if you will. Your literal red string of fate, some may say, but with a twist of my own! Do note that I easily could have made it so it was connected to my life points, but ... no. I decided it'd be more fair to have it activate when you lose life. Anytime your life depletes, that bubble will start filling up with water."

As Jack tried to chastise her, she merely wove a hand through the air. "Now, now. Don't talk down on me as if you're some saint. I've heard my share of stories about you. Like the lengths you went to in order to get to The Tops at all. Or how you simply allowed Fayth right there to get arrested. You didn't even try to say the officers were making a mistake. You just let her get dragged away ... branded ... tormented. A lot of what's happened to her is your fault, really. It's a miracle she bothers with you; almost as much as the fact she's like us. Someone with a second chance at life."

"I didn't even know about that version of me for the longest time. I didn't willingly choose to be reborn ..."

"And yet, here we are. The time for talking is over. Duel!"

Two sets of 8000 appeared on both Carly and Jack's duel disks. "They do say ladies first, so I'll heed that proverb and go." As Carly drew her hand, Fayth swallowed and tried to mentally focus.

Oi, Morningstar? Is there nothing that can be done?

When he didn't even answer, her heart began to pound.

Did you leave me?!

No. I'm not that cold-hearted. But did you not hear what she said earlier?

So .. you're really blocked out? Unable to do anything about this bubble or ... anything?

"It's for the best," Carly said aloud, earning a furious glare from Fayth. "No, really. It is. Any attempts to tamper with that string will result in the bubble immediately filled all the way up. Likewise if Jack tries to run or surrender before he's legally able to as per the dueling rules. This therefore applies to your Fallen Angel. If he attempts anything, you'll have your trial by water much, much sooner. Now be silent and see how your fate plays out."

Fayth's fist slammed once more against the glass ... just because she wanted to and was more than livid enough to hit the bubble, not at all caring that it made her hand sting. Tears of anger and frustration silently streamed down Fayth's face as she sat down, unable to do much more than listen to Carly's words. There was literally only a few saving graces, and one of them was that Morningstar hadn't just up and left her. If he truly was stuck ... well, at least he hadn't betrayed her. But it definitely didn't make this any less frustrating.

"Now then, I'll set two cards face down. I then summon Catoblepas and Witch The Of Fate. With this, I'll end my turn!"

She owed Kiryu?! He wanted to pray, beg to whatever God would listen - even one of these Earthbounds - that he wasn't hearing things. But no...She had said it. And he couldn't believe it...He hadn't met with her all that much, but she had covered some of his exclusives when he was still the Duel King. Even her story about getting tossed out of a window; how was that anyone's fault but Divine's? Surely she didn't blame herself for not fighting back, did she?

Carly wasn't the type to just give up, that much he did know, so she had to have fought like hell. Come to think of it, now Goodwin's warnings about the man all made sense; if he could do that to a sweet woman like Carly...

Then he was dangerous. And if he was still around, that meant he might try using the chaos to his advantage. These thoughts made him distracted, enough for Carly to add her own little trick to the Duel. The thread wrapped tightly around his waist, making him raise his arms and say "What the..." before he saw that same thread.

"Carly, stop! You have me! Let her go, and I'll duel you! Fayth isn't involved as much as you think she is!"

Mayhaps it was a tad insulting...But he was trying to get her to focus entirely on him, make himself the bigger target. But sadly, it was too late. She made her conditions known, as well as the plenty for failure. Try to run or surrender before the Duel ended like it was supposed to? Fayth would die. And if his Life his zero? So would hers, quite literally. A faint grimace crossed his face once more as he glared at Carly; this was brutal, ESPECIALLY for her. She was a completely different person now.

And as disgusting as it made him feel, seeing that vile look in her eyes did indeed remind him of Kiryu. And the fact that she was rubbing his past in his face? Well...As much as he wanted to retort, to say she was wrong...Well, she wasn't. He had been a vicious character before, obsessed with chasing his destiny. And cutting down anyone and anything that stood in his way. And indeed....What happened to Fayth lay entirely on him.

Even this imprisonment...A case of trying to do the right thing gone horribly wrong. But....He would do what he could, and save them both. He had to...He owed it to them!

But Carly seemed like she was done talking....Was there really nothing that could dissuade her? It seemed not, soon her field filling up with cards and a not-insignificantly powered monster appearing on her own.

The two facedowns had him concerned; he didn't even know if she ran an actual deck before. But this? Just like her own, it was probably fueled by the same dark powers she was using now.

"My turn! I draw!"

He had something to deal with the Witch....But with Fayth's fate on the line, he had to play smart. Play smart and pray he would find a way to liberate her from her prison, and Carly from her bond with this dark God.

"I send the Small Piece Golem in my hand to the Cemetery in order to Special Summon Power Giant from my hand! And per its effect, it will have its Level reduced by the Level of the sent monster, hence Power Giant becomes Level 3!" Jack would say, the crystalline bruiser appearing on his side of the field. With 2200 ATK, it could easily run over Catoblepas...But what if that was what she wanted? The old him would have accepted the challenge and gone for the kill....But now?

Now he wasn't so sure he should.

Giving a slight grimace as his grip tightened, he then closed his eyes and muttered defeatedly, "Turn...End...." And if Fayth could see? His eyes conveyed the very expression of "I'm sorry".

Carly wagged a finger as Jack tried to beg for the focus to be only on him. "Were she actually a normal person, I might heed your words. As it is, though, she is a Signer. How she became one doesn't matter, nor whether she wanted to be one or not. She's with you and, unfortunately, that's working against you instead of for you. Besides ... " Her grin widened as she pointed to herself. "Trust me when I say it'll be much better and far more merciful than if Kiryu were here. He's already been scolded for playing with his prey one time too many. Next time he finds her? He's not going to mess around. Anything that happens to her? It's going to be very painful. Worse than anything she's already endured."

"There's no way ... "

"Oh, there is. Trust me, there is such a thing as worse. It's just going to be very, very ugly. Somewhat luckily for you, he seemed hellbent on going after Yusei first. But once he's done? You'd best hope he has someone else to worry about, because you're on borrowed time."

A shudder went through Fayth's whole body as she held herself. She legitimately felt sick. Jack was indeed one of the few reasons she was glad to have ever come to this dimension. Moments like this, though? It made her wish Reiji had sent someone else. Hell, Fuyu on her own would have been smarter. She was stronger in every sense of the word. But no. For some reason, he'd put his own faith into her. It used to make her feel honored, proud even, but now? She found herself questioning once again if he'd really made the right call.

Oh thank god! Fayth mentally exclaimed. To make up for Morningstar being blocked out, she'd created the field in her head to 'watch' the duel. So she knew well enough that he had a stronger monster. One that could turn the tide in his favor.

Except ... he didn't attack?

" ... Jack? What are you doing?"

On one hand, she understood it. But on the other ... allowing her to manipulate his emotions just like she was doing wouldn't do him any favors. "No, please! Forget I'm even here! Focus on the duel!"

"Isn't that cute of her? Even after all the pain you've given her, she cares that much for you. Are you a masochist, sweetie?"

"N-No!" Her voice lowered as she added in an irritated tone, "Not that it's your business to start with."

"So precious. You know ... this could have gone very differently had you gotten our Mark instead. I'm sure you'd be a powerful ally."

"I'd never want any of those gods toying with me like they are you."

Carly clicked her tongue, giving a nonchalant shrug as she drew her card once Jack ended his turn. "And that is what separates us. I'm not satisfied with dying early. If you are ... well, you may not need to wait longer. So keep waiting. Now then, I'll summon Fortune Lady Light!"

It was definitely not one of her primary attackers. Still, Light did have her uses. She just needed to wait for the right timing. "Turn end! Come now, Jack! You can't just stall forever. If you really want to save her, you'll have to do something, you know? So come on. Or is the King truly as dead as he looks right here and now, hmm?"

"Jack? What are you doing?"

"No, please! Forget I'm even here! Focus on the Duel!"

Except...Jack couldn't. Despite any fussing or banter, the truth was he had grown extremely fond of Fayth. She'd helped him become a better person...Helped him see there was more to life than just winning, than titles or fame. He....He loved her. And it made his stomach wrench at the idea of doing anything that might bring her harm. But then was also Carly, a young girl who had such love of life, even with her eccentric and quirky behaviors. She didn't deserve this fate wrought upon her...

No, that blame rested solely on these damned Gods. His clenched hands continued to stay tight as Carly toyed with him, made the self-doubt creep in. He was beginning to wonder if there was something wrong with him; Carly even made it clear that it was his Life tied to Fayth's. He just barely listened as Fayth and Carly exchanged quips, trying to wrack a solution in his mind. Anything that would break them both free.

There had to be something...ANYTHING!

"Come now, Jack! You can't just stall forever. If you really want to save her, you'll have to do something, you know? So come on. Or is the King truly as dead as he looks right here and now, hmm?"

Those words seemed to snap him out of his little trance, his head shaking as he tried to get himself refocused. "Carly...Fayth...I swear on my Life....I'll get you both out of this! My turn! I draw!" he would declare.

Nothing, and thankfully he still had the 2200 ATK Power Giant on his field. But...Those Set cards worried him...Worried that he was playing right into her hands.

But she had a point: He couldn't stall forever. And he had a chance to deal damage and get Fayth one step closer to freedom.

"Fine then, decide for yourself if the King is truly dead or not! Power Giant attacks Fortune Lady Lighty! Power Rush!" he would shout, his crystal monster charging forward with a fist drawn back...And just to prove his own point, then came the Trap Card.

"Reverse Card, Open! Fortune Slip!"

Lighty would vanish into the Aether, his Power Giant's attack missing by a mile....And that wasn't all it seemed. Soon another monster taking Lighty's place, this one a good deal stronger. Jack just grimaced some more, his moves sealed for the rest of this turn.

"Turn end....Carly, why do you really want to battle me so badly? Did I not give you a fair shot when you did those interviews with me? Did I say something that made you hold a grudge against me? Is that what this is really about?" he then asked her bluntly.

Carly cackled as Jack promised to get her and Fayth out of this predicament. "Hah! Good one, good one! A wishful dream, but ultimately, that's all it is. Jack ... be completely sincere with me. Do you really think there's any hope of that? Of saving both of us? I'm certain enough that maybe near the end of his duel, Crow would have tried to help Bommer. And Yusei - even though he knows it's pointless - will attempt to do the same with Kiryu. But well ... you've likely already heard how things went with Crow. Alas ..."

Her head shook.

"There is no such thing as being able to save us both. It's simply one or the other. Besides ... " Her head lifted as she looked up at Fayth. "Are you going to tell me you'd just accept him losing? That you'd let me leave alive and well enough?"

As Fayth clenched her fists, Carly nodded towards the display.

"That's right. You wouldn't. You'd try to avenge Jack ... even if he may not want that. Fair enough. You do have a Fallen Angel within you. It means their moral compass is warped at best. They sometimes do honest, pure acts but other times ... "

Carly chuckled as Fayth angrily hit the bubble.

"I suppose with Morningstar being stripped of his original position in the Heavens, he would have succumbed to Wrath first among all of the Seven Deadly Sins. Very fitting indeed."

Thankfully, her attention would leave Fayth as Jack finally attacked. On the flip side ... the very thing he'd dreaded came to life as she pushed down on her duel disk. "Reverse Card, Open! Fortune Slip! Fortune Lady Light will leave the field, but that's alright. It allows her to fulfill her true purpose. Come forth, Fortune Lady Earth!"

As Carly drew, she chuckled again. "I gotta hand it to you, you seem to have gained a much better sense of humor than what I've heard. Seriously, Jack? You think this is about anything that may have happened between us in the past? Some petty grudge from my pathetic career?"

Carly scoffed as she shook her head.

"No. It has absolutely nothing to do with any of that. This is just the two of you being on the wrong side. It's as simple as that. That being said ... " She extended her left hand out, keeping her cards held tightly in her right. "It's not too late, you know? You could join me ... us, even. That way, you won't have to be hunted. You can be a hunter instead. Just like you used to be able to when you were King. And anyone who gets in your way? You can cut them down."

She gave a nod towards Fayth.

"I'll even see about helping her come along despite her rude attitude towards me. Just so you don't have to be away from her."

"Don't talk on my behalf!" Fayth snapped. Carly merely flashed her a coy grin, ignoring the response.

"I, personally, would think about it if I were you. Draw! Fortune Lady Light will come back to the field at this time. Fortune Lady Earth, meanwhile, will have her effect activate. Here's to the first of life points that you'll lose!"

And sure enough, water did - from seemingly nowhere - fall into the bubble. It covered her bare feet. The good news was that was all it got in the first loss of life. The bad? Carly's turn wasn't over.

A shocked yelp from the abrupt cold rang out as Fayth abruptly stood up and tried to move away from the water.

"You know, with reactions like that, I can't help but wonder if the version of you that died here was a witch in her own rights. She died younger, or so I've been told. Sure, it could have been something as typical as gang violence, but ... that feels too simple for someone like you."

"It doesn't matter. I'm not that version."

"Shame, too. She may have been stronger than you'll ever be."

Fayth's eyebrows furrowed as she shoved against the bubble, trying to make it break. Carly grinned and, after taking a few more seconds to watch, turned her attention back to Jack. "Fortune Lady Earth! Attack and destroy his Power Giant!" And as Jack didn't reach to push on his set cards ... Carly laughed once again. "Here we go! Get ready, girl! This will be your first real test. Fortune Lady Light and Catoblepas, direct attack!"

And as they did, Jack's life would drop, stopping at 4800 life. Just barely over half his life left.

"AHHHHHHHHHHH!"

Agony from the Mark continuing to act up plus finding herself abruptly in water that came up to her waist caused the cry. Fayth could indeed swim, it seemed, evidenced by her immediately beginning to tread water. And at least her head wasn't submerged ... yet. But it was clear she was beginning to panic and lose her cool, shivering in both fear and from being engulfed by the cool liquid.

Is ... there really nothing ... Morningstar ... ??

"You seriously think he'd bother, hmm? Honestly, of all the angels ... you were stupid to go for one that has tainted wings. One like Athena or even Splendid Venus would have been a far wiser choice, and they'd gladly help you out in a heartbeat. Or ... they'd definitely try. But not Morningstar. He's always had his own agenda. You'd know if you did your research properly. Turn end!"

Jack ... someone ... please .... help me ....

Were it not for the fact the words sounded so pathetic in her head, she'd have uttered them out loud. Instead, she looked and began frantically feeling around the water prison. Unfortunately, there was nothing at all to cling onto. Nothing to get to a higher vantage point and keep herself at least somewhat dry. This was indeed the first real test, it seemed. Now all she could do was join Jack in silently praying he figured something out. Because especially if Morningstar was that stuck in being able to help her out?

This would not end well if Carly got her way.

Jack's eyes narrowed as she rebutted his argument, stating her empty phrase. Gone was the passion of her former voice; much like Yusei would eventually see with Kiryu, he was beginning to see Carly had become someone different. VERY, VERY different...If it were a different face, he would have guessed she was someone else entirely.

But for all intents and purposes? It was...Carly was gone, left only now this shallow vessel. Determined by fate, as she called it, to kill them. And God as his witness, he would not let that happen. "If worse comes to worse....I pray neither of you think ill of me." Jack would say to himself as she would continue with her turn.

Her Draw Phase went through, and then came the attack: Earthy's staff twirled before spearing into the ground, a shockwave of corrupted spikes rushing towards him before piercing his body. "Grh!" he gasped, thankfully the wounds shallow but the sheer number tore his clothes and spilled his blood, that once-pristine white suit becoming stained in trails of red. His breath caught, the sensation of being wounded so very familiar and yet alien.

How long had it been since someone made him bleed...It happened all the time in the Satellite...When he was a nobody. But when he was King? He was untouchable. As such, he tried to just keep his consciousness, the severity of the hits enough to make blood run into his eyes. Staining his cards and his Duel Disk; was this the power of a Dark Signer? To cause this much real damage?

"L....Leave her alone...Carly...Your battle's with me!" Jack said, his violet eyes starting to refocus as he raised his head once more. Power Giant let out a cry as Earthy's attack shattered him like glass, the shrapnel digging into his skin as pieces of his monster embedded themselves in him. She seemed to be heeding his request, for soon Catoblepas and Lighty then launched their own attacks, Jack getting launched onto his back, a harsh wheeze leaving him as his Life now hovered barely above the half-way point.

And as Fayth's sphere filled with water, the Tower next to them filled with energy, causing the spatial distortions to grow more intense. The orange fire around them burning hotter than before and rising higher and higher, the shape of the Hummingbird nearly filling out completely.

And his Mark burned. So much so as Fayth's did, and with the fresh wounds from the other two....It was hell. Was this what Crow felt? Jack would never make fun of again after this...For anything. His fists clenched as he laid there for a moment, trying to will his body to stand. But....He was so heavy, or at least he felt that way.

This gave Carly plenty of time to continue ripping on Fayth...Before long Jack managed to turn himself over, a noticeable pool of red forming under him as his arms shook.

"Y....You're right about one thing, Carly....I am no....no saint...."

He would say, pushing himself to his knees and then to his feet...Though damn if he wasn't shaking and struggling the entire time. But....This wasn't just his life on the line now. It was Yusei...Crow....All the innocent people here....

And most of all....Fayth. More so in danger than anyone else currently here.

"I've done terrible things...Awful things. I've trampled on people who cared about me...Used others to further my goals. And I see it now....See who I used to be....In you." His eyes had been shut, his arm wiping away the blood before he stared coldly at the former journalist. "And looking at you...Just makes my stomach turn! Because it reminds me in full what a bastard I used to be! And if being King again means accepting your offer, then I say this and this alone: GO TO HELL!"

Did Jack raise his voice from time to time? Perhaps, but that was usually as a haughty taunt or a challenge...But no. He was furious. More so than he'd ever been. "I draw!" he would say, holding a card in his hand and saying "When my opponent controls 2 or more monsters, I can Normal Summon Power Invader without release!" And doing so, the large burly alien warrior appeared, with an equal Attack Power to his Giant.

"You want to see my resolve, Carly?! Then burn this into your memory! Power Invader attacks Fortune Lady Lighty! Power Crush!" His monster then gave a rather impressive leap, slamming both of its massive fists down on the female monster, her image shattering and dealing Carly a significant amount of damage.

"Turn end! You dare to think you can sway me with your empty promises?! Call out your God if you can then! See if he can take down the true Duel King! Me!" he woudl say, giving a now confident smirk as he added, "Unless he's as much of a coward as you turned into, that is!"

"Jack?! Jack!! H-hey!"

Carly rose her right arm, as if she were holding an invisible wand in it. It wouldn't take long to understand what was happening. She was manipulating the water ... causing it to rise up like a wave, and then splash against Fayth. With her accidentally swallowing the extra water, it led to her spitting and coughing it out. Carly grinned, finally stopping after teasing her a few more moments.

"Oh, come now. I'm not adding any extra water or anything. I'm still keeping my end of the bargain."

"Gods, you really have gone crazy, haven't you?"

Carly rolled her eyes, letting out a scoff. "And who are you to try to judge me again?"

"Apparently a Signer you're scared of. And don't say you're not. It would have been easy enough for you to face us both. Your refusal says some part of you is afra ---"

Fayth's words were interrupted by yet another wave, and then the sound of Carly clicking her tongue. "It was rhetoric, sweetie. I haven't forgotten. As far as trying to deem me a coward? I prefer to think I'm using a strategy of sorts."

"Yes, because this has done wonders for all of you, hasn't it? Whether with me or Yuna or literally anyone. You haven't even noticed the pattern, have you? We've all not only endured it all, but have come back stronger."

" ... Then I suppose I need to remedy the fact Kiryu toyed with you for far too long. Hell, even Misty could have seen about helping him finish everything up. But no. They both took too long and that, clearly, was a mistake. Honestly, you should have been dealt with much sooner. You're more unholy than I am with all the odd circumstances surrounding you ... particularly your own Mark."

Now it was Fayth's turn to roll her eyes, "Yes, because I totally prayed for that. If you'd been around me long enough, you'd know how fed up I've been with this. But at the same time ... you're giving me the exact same reasons I tolerate being a Signer at all. Because allowing pricks like you and Kiryu to win? No. I couldn't live with myself if I just let that happen. I already feel like I did in other aspects of my life. I'm not ... oi!"

This time, Fayth managed to push herself against the glass, at least keeping herself from being swept underneath the water. But it certainly did splash her. It just didn't threaten to drown her as if she were underneath a large wave from a massive ocean.

"There we go! Finally a sign that you haven't forgotten how to be on the offensive."

Carly did wince from the hit. It was real not only for Jack, but herself as well. Still, compared to losing almost half of his life, her own loss was a lot more merciful, which made the pain simpler to tolerate. A fake, disappointed sigh resounded from Carly as she heard Jack's response. "Very well. Your loss... both of yours, really. At least I tried."

"Honestly, even if he accepted, I wouldn't have. You wouldn't have gotten everything you were aiming for."

" ... Enjoy that voice while you still have it. When I deal with you, I'm getting rid of it."

"You think that scares me more than the shit Sora did to me? So be it. Actions speak louder than words, anyway."

"Sora, huh? Is it fair to guess he's somehow linked to your blindness?"

As she drew her card, Fayth merely glared down ... or at least looked like she would be if she could properly do so. "I'll take the silence as a yes." She glanced down at her hand and zoned out. There it was! The Earthbound Immortal had come to her! It was a blessing Bommer had failed to receive ... though the fact he fought against his own certainly didn't help him either.

Still, now she had a chance to make up for his error.

"We're definitely not cowardly. Ask and you shall receive! I tribute Fortune Lady Earth, but before that, she'll deal 400 more life to you."

Another frustrated whimper elicited as more water filled the bubble. It stopped just shy of Fayth's breasts, but with the water close enough ... her body was reacting. Instinctively, but it didn't matter. Crimson fueled by fury and embarrassment painted Fayth's cheeks as she quickly covered her top, hiding the fact her nipples were getting a bit hard and, worse off, she hadn't put a bra on.

Had she been found a few minutes later, sure. But as things were? Carly had caught her at the worst timing with finishing her shower.

"I'll also send Catoblepas along with Fortune Lady Earth! And now ... come forth! I summon Earthbound Immortal, Aslla Piscu!"

Fayth felt her heart sink ... but then tilted her head. She noticed it ... but would Jack? Carly certainly would ... as a very angry and loud voice screamed in her head.

You stupid girl! You know our summoning conditions! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!

Horror and dread immediately entered Carly's eyes as she looked down at her disk and saw the fatal mistake. She hadn't gotten her field card in her hand, let alone out on the disk yet. And so, as the Earthbound landed on the field ... it just as quickly vanished.

"No, no, no, no, no, wait! I -- "

As quickly as Carly's arrogance had been present, it just as swiftly vanished. For perhaps the first time this entire encounter, she acted more normal. At least ... she was doing that until a loud, blood-curdling scream resounded from her. Were it not for the sight before them, one would think Jack was stabbing her. But no, now she was that livid.

"THIS IS BOTH OF YOUR GUYS' FAULT! ARRRRGH!!! I HAD THAT! I FUCKING HAD IT! I'LL GO TO HELL IF NEED BE, BUT I'M NOT GOING ALONE!"

And if the intensity of their pain and the heat hadn't been enough, it only got stronger. But worse off ... was it seemed she was done playing nice. Despite losing her chance to deal more damage due to her error, more water was rapidly filling the bubble. And worse off, the same movements Jack had seen earlier were now happening on their own. Now Fayth was indeed being submerged, muffling her screams and cries for help as the water continued to rise.

And if none of that was bad enough, the pain from her own arm aching made her slower to break the surface of the water.

"J-Jack, I -- "

This time around, she was thrust down against the bottom of the glass prison. Her body stayed still for a good minute ... before Fayth managed to conjure enough strength to swim back up, coughing as she found the water mere inches away from going completely over her neck and head.

"THIS DUEL STILL ISN'T OVER!" Carly exclaimed. "ONE WAY OR ANOTHER, I'M TAKING ONE IF NOT BOTH OF YOU DOWN WITH ME! TURN END!"

Jack had indeed gotten mad...But he was still praying it would force the God to make a mistake. Something he could do to force it out of Carly, return her to normal. Even if the evidence was ever mounting that that would not be easy. It might even be impossible.

Even more so when she began mocking Fayth's blindness, even threatening to rob her of her voice like they had done to Yuna. "Carly...You're really gone aren't you?" he would say, listening as she mentioned that he was taking damage. A pained howl left him as Earthy's spikes pierced him once more, dropping his Life even further. "Fayth!" he cried out as the water level rose, his eyes refocusing on Carly as she declared her intent.

She was calling her God?! Now?!

Jack watched as the giant orange-streaked bird appeared....But then it....burst? His eyes stared up at the space from where it had been...What just happened? And then came the screech, and so loud it was in his mind that even covering his ears did not help at all. Summoning conditions? Was there something she was supposed to do?

Well...That was fortunate for him...But he had to think she had some way of getting it back. And he had to finish this before she could.

"This is no one's fault but your own, Carly! You should know that better than anyone! It was you that always preached accountability when you were a journalist!" Jack shouted, adding "My turn, I draw!"

He then went forward with his turn, "I Summon the Tuner monster, Dark Resonator!" The impish little devil appeared, its beady red eyes peering right at Carly as it gave her that shark-toothed smile. "Level 3 Dark Resonator tunes Level 5 Power Invader!" Resonator struck its tuning fork, becoming three green rings as Power Invader was lifted through them, his form turning orange and becoming transparent.

And as the Synchronization played out, Jack chanted, "Determination born from red-hot flames, become a blood-red blade! Appear from beyond the searing waves! Synchro Summon! Ferocious burning God! Crimson Blader!"

And with, the twin-blade wielding warrior descended, its weapons gleaming as if freshly born from the forges of destiny. "Battle! Crimson Blader! Direct Attack!" But as the warrior charged forward, leaping towards Carly, his eyes saw a vision of the doe-eyed reporter he had known for some time....And for whatever reason, he had a change of heart.

Maybe he was being an idiot....But there still had to be some way to get through to her.

"Reverse Card, Open! Revival Gift! I Special Summon Dark Resonator from the Cemetery in Attack Position with its effects negated!" The little demon reappeared, Jack then adding "And in return, I Special Summon two Gift Demon Tokens to your side of the field in Defense Position!" Two monsters then materialzed on Carly's field, Jack declaring "Crimson Blader, attack the Gift Demon Token on the right! Crimson Slash!"

The blades tore through the Token monster, shattering but leaving her Life Points untouched. His hands clenched as he realized this might bite him in the ass....But it was also a test.

Leaving Dark Resonator in Attack Position was his way of seeing if, once and for all, she was serious...And if that was the case...Then he knew what he had to do....Even if it might pain him to do so.

"Turn...End..."

I should have told him I love him ... Fayth lamented, a whimper enunciating her thoughts as she was mercilessly being thrown around in the water, more akin to a ragdoll than a person. Morningstar had talked her out of it, insisting it was a foolish thing to do. Now, she was wishing she'd ignored his words because with how this was going? She may not even get the chance to tell him, and that in itself made her equally scared and furious.

Normally, Fayth would think she was imagining things, but this time, she wasn't. The vicious nature and strength of the waves was definitely getting stronger. All that was missing was a salty taste, and she'd easily believe she were trapped in the undertow of an ocean right then and there. Every time she broke the surface, she was thrust back down against the glass. Each impact was rougher against her back, and further tempting Fayth to stop fighting against the water and surrender.

Her movements were slower and visibly weaker. But ... no. Giving up would mean dying. She nodded at herself, and started to swim back up ... but something stopped her. Fayth tried again ... and that was when she felt the metal.

Somewhere in between getting losing her Immortal and getting hit by Jack, Carly had manifested a shackle that was attached firmly to her right wrist, keeping her held against the bottom of the bubble. Worse than trapping her was specifically doing so to keep her from getting anymore breaths. The realization caused Fayth's eyes to widen under the blindfold as she began tugging and twisting her joint violently, seeming perfectly fine with breaking it if it'd allow her the opportunity to avoid drowning.

She pounded hard on the glass, bubbles surfacing in place of her screams as panic began to surge through Fayth.

No fair, no fair. At least before, I could break the surface and recover. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!!!

Now ... even that wasn't doable. The frustration and fear made Fayth's fists pound harder, steadily turning red. Her Mark was easily the least of her worries ... even though it also fueled her actions on. But that was definitely not at the forefront of her worries. No, it was drowning right in front of Jack. Carly grinned satisfied with her work, then took the top card off her deck.

"There we go. Now I can focus better. Draw!"

The mercy from Jack's activation of his Revival Gift aided with Carly not losing life. Even still, he'd shown throughout the duel he wasn't a fool. Other things, perhaps, but not that. The generosity wouldn't last forever ... so she needed to act as quickly as possible. Of course, it was much easier said than done, more so now that he not only had monsters on his field, but powerful ones.

"I summon Solitaire Magician!" It certainly could not handle his Crimson Blader, nope. But ... there was at least one monster that it could deal with. "Solitaire Magician! Attack his Dark Resonator!"

His life would plummet once more, going from 4400 to 4100. Not nearly as bad of a decrease compared to the first hit. However ... now if Fayth did somehow get loose, even more water filled the bubble. She'd barely have the ability to keep her head above the water, and that was taking into consideration if Carly hadn't lost her temper and mind and forced the cool liquid to act more like a tsunami. Even if it were calm, keeping herself above the water would be a chore ... but definitely not as bad as things were at this moment.

It'd be more doable for sure.

"JAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!"

It was probably muffled, but Fayth didn't care. Kiryu had scared her, definitely. There was no questioning that. But this ... this was so much worse than any encounter she'd had with that freak. Probably because he never went this far ... though knowing he had intentions to do as much didn't help calm her rapidly beating heart. And just as quickly as her fists continued to impact the glass ...

They began to slow. The link allowed Jack to feel her own heart was also beginning to slow down. And just in case he was wanting to believe he was simply imagining things, a simple glance at Fayth barely still conscious would reveal how dire this situation was swiftly becoming.

"Turn end!"

Jack too did not see the shackle....But when he looked past and saw Fayth struggling? Even through his blood-clouded vision, he was able to pick out the band on iron on her wrist. Even worse, Carly summoned her own monster and further depleted his life, making the wounds on his body open up more and the water rise higher.

Fayth was barely able to keep her mouth above the surface...No more holding back then. No more mercy.

"Damn you....DAMN YOU CARLY!"

Jack was just as livid now; he knew there was no saving her at this point, if she was going to this length. Carly was officially dead; she was definitely more like Kiryu now. He needed to stop being naive. He could only hope her spirit would understand, because her mind clearly did not.

"I draw!"

As he pulled the top card, he wasted no time. "I activate two Powerful Resurrection, using them to target both my Small Piece Golem and my Dark Resonator resting in the Cemetery, boosting their Levels by 1 and their Attack Points by 400!" And as the monsters reappeared, he would then declare, "I will show you the King is not dead, Carly! And he never will be as he draws breath! Level 4 Dark Resonator tunes Level 4 Small Piece Golem!"

Once more, that familiar animation played out, he chanted one final time, "The ruler's heartbeat will now file through here! Take witness to its creation-shaking power! Synchro Summon! Red Demon's Dragon!" And in a powerful flash of fire and rage, his ace monster appeared. She wanted him to get serious? Here he was!

"Crimson Blader destroys your Gift Fiend Token!"

The warrior destroyed the smaller demon in a flash of light, its body falling apart before he then said, "Red Demon's Dragon, attack Solitaire Magician! Crimson Hell Flare!"

The giant red dragon gathered flame in its mouth, blasting into Solitaire Magician and directly impacting Carly with its force, scorching her as much as it could and depleting her Life even further.

"Turn end! Now let her go! You've lost!"

I guess I can be glad I did see him once ... better than ... never .... right?

Even if Fayth herself didn't want to stop fighting, her body did. She couldn't hear what was even happening anymore. All she could sense was more water continuing to pour in. Which translated to him losing ... or at least getting hurt.

This ... is how it's going to end? Like this?

Tears mingled in with the water as she shuddered and sobbed, her emotions helping further drown her in addition to the glass cage. Carly, meanwhile, wagged her finger at Jack. "Neither of our life has hit zero. If I did that now, she'd be truly dead. As it is? She's clinging frantically onto her life. Barely, yes, but it's better than nothing, is it not?"

Still, it didn't take a brain surgeon to realize Jack was very much right. And unless she could draw something to deal with both his Crimson Blader and his ace monster? That only secured her own chances of losing this duel.

.... Assuming those goes well enough, I at least won't completely fail, she thought, sneaking another glance towards Fayth. Ironically, she suddenly pondered about doing what she taunted Jack for at the beginning of this fight; stalling. But the truth was ... she couldn't. Not really. Her didn't allow it. She could pretend, sure. But he'd probably see through the act and know what she was really doing.

... Still, it didn't stop her from at least looking as if she were studying her hand. She was, even if only partially. There just wasn't as much to think on as she was trying to make it seem.

"I summon Fortune Lady Wind, and her effect activates." And this would be where the thinking would try to come into play. Some cards would vanish with effects like Wind's. Others ... weren't affected in the slightest. "When she's summoned, she can destroy the amount of spells or traps on your field as I have Fortune Ladies." Sadly, that'd only be one ... but if this went the way she envisioned, that'd be all she need.

Carly pointed towards the one that was supposed to be attached to the monsters he'd used to summon Red Daemon's Dragon ... and then clicked her tongue when it remained on the field.

Either way, there was no guessing about his cards. Any that had been set were face up, and his monsters were very much in attack mode. His hand was the only mystery and, frankly, that didn't matter at this point. "Turn end. Be thankful I'll allow everything to vanish when you end the duel. I could make it otherwise if I wanted to."

She'd either taken long enough, or .... someone else would need to kill Fayth later on. But who knew? Maybe the trauma would make be reckless with whomever she faced and aid her in losing. So, in Carly's new and very twisted mind, this wasn't a complete lose-lose. It was just frustrating it hadn't gone as smoothly as she'd wanted. Carly truly had wished to make up for Bommer's failure, but ... it seemed that wasn't meant to happen.

What Jack had felt as slow, steady beats became weaker .... weaker ....

And then it all stopped. Even a quick glance would reveal her body was completely still now. Eyes closed behind the blindfold and body beginning to turn pale.

Be thankful?!

That made Jack even more pissed off, "You've done nothing deserving of thanks nor gratitude! Your abject failure here will rest assured to be your last mistake! I draw!" Even though Windy's effect had destroyed one of his Resurrections, the monsters were already gone. Meaning this was one more defiant act to try and snub his nose in everything. This was her last desperate grab.

"Battle! Crimson Blader, destroy Fortune Lady Windy! Crimson Slash!"

And once her monster fell to the warrior's assault, its effect making sure even if she could somehow stop it, that she'd be unable to be summoned, he then declared. "End this duel! Red Demon's Dragon, direct attack! Crimson Hell Flare!"

The flames engulfed Carly...But once they disappeared, she was gone, her Life already having hit 0...And the glass sphere falling apart as he saw Fayth floating there for a moment before it all came rushing out. Thankfully, Jack was right there, and even with his injuries he rushed over to help her. He had felt her heartbeat slow, the water having likely suffocated her, but that still didn't stop him from pressing an ear to her chest.

And sure enough, silence. As such, he wasted no time, his hands pressing to her chest and starting compressions. He was given CPR training as King, but that was nothing special; it was one of the things all the schools in the Tops taught. Placement, pressure, repititions, all of it played a role in trying to get someone back to life. He wiped his forehead with his sleeve, the fabric stained red as he then leaned in, pinching Fayth's nose and gently forcing air down her throat.

"Come on, Fayth....You're a fighter! Don't you die on me!" he pleaded, pressing her chest in over and over, going back in to locking his lips with hers, trying to get her lungs clear of any fluid....Begging that she would wake up!

The first two sets would be the same. Nothing appeared to change. If anything, it looked worse. More color seemed to drain from her face, and she was getting colder. It was looking like the stall tactic from Carly had worked, and that likely became a stronger fear with each second that ticked away. Even with Fayth, she saw that did indeed seem to be the case. She didn't find herself in the bubble nor on the concrete. She was ... where even was she? A peek around herself made it seem as if she were surrounded by what could best be described as a very bright, white void. Nothing seemed to be around her .... except for herself, and ...

"It's time."

The calm words made her look up. And now she could see ... which made her heart sink. Her head jerked down, and found herself in a bright, white gown ... seeming to levitate or fly on her own despite not yet having any wings of her own. Floating before her with an outstretched hand and his wings keeping him in the air was Morningstar himself. Fayth shook her head, tears pricking at her eyes.

"Not like this. I already got robbed of my first life. Don't make me leave, please ... "

"If it helps, I don't want to. But for all the times I fought against the rules and rebelled .... Death is one of the few I've always complied with."

"No. Fuck this. Fuck the rules. I don't wanna die like this. GET AWAY FROM ME!"

And as Morningstar reached forward and grabbed for her hand ....

SLAP!

It, unfortunately, found Jack's face as she gasped, choked and then turned her head and half-spat, half-coughed the water out. It took her a good two minutes before she got enough breath. "S-sorry. I think I just saw myself in Purgatory and Morningstar tried to finish ... well .... "

Even though the sentence was left unfinished, he could probably guess well enough what almost happened. The same tears she'd barely been holding back finally fell as she shakily pushed herself up to a sitting position. "T...that is you ... right?" And even if he answered before she acted, she tug - damn well nearly tore - the blindfold off, activating her pact. It took a few blinks ... but thankfully, she found herself staring up at Jack as her illusionary eyes returned. A long sigh of relief elicited as she weakly plopped forward, letting her head fall against his chest .... not seeming to mind or care enough about his clothes being stained with his blood.

"Y...you need ... a hospital or something," she muttered, wrapping her arms around his waist as she kept herself secured against Jack. For good two minutes, Fayth seemed content to keep herself still. This time, of her own accord, and now breathing fine. Shakily at worst with the close call, but at least oxygen was still flowing through her lungs and system.

Then, she slowly lifted her head and glanced around ... first taking note of the exact area of the Satellite they had fought in. Examining all of the buildings around them, the debris ... if she'd only hoped that had just been a very fucked up dream, all of the evidence was very much in front of her. Relaying and spelling out she had indeed just barely avoided dying in front of Jack's eyes.

That made her gulp nervously before she tilted her head up and stared at Jack. She slowly moved one hand off his back and lightly stroked his cheek. "S-sorry. Not only about the slap, but umm ... I've wanted to do this. I know it's probably not the most appropriate time or anything, but on the off-chance I don't get a second chance again, well ...."

She then pulled herself forward, leaning forward as she planted a kiss - a real one fueled by pure desire and passion - right onto Jack's lips. Fayth stayed put for a good forty-five seconds, only pulling away when she absolutely had to listen to her body.

"I know this is probably gonna result in more scandals or close calls like what just happened, but fuck it. I love you, Jack. I have for a while."

There. Now at least if she didn't survive this war, she'd managed to confess her feelings. Of course, she wouldn't simply hand her life over, either. But if it came down to losing her life in a duel ... she wouldn't have quite as many regrets.

"As much as I'd love to be selfish and stay here ... " Fayth shook her head. "I meant it about getting you patched up. So when you can move ... let me know and I'll ... help you get back to the Wheel of Fortune. Don't you dare try to say you don't need help. I'm not accepting that for an answer. You're barely in any shape to drive, but I'll accept that simply because I didn't come here on my own Wheeler. And once my time for my temporary sight ends ... I'll be in less decent shape to drive myself."

And since that was the case, it'd mean she didn't have an AI system helping guide her and preventing her from running into cars or other obstacles that could lead to a crash.

For now, though, she stayed still, laying her head back against Jack's chest. A bit of crimson plus a ghost of a smirk were now on her face. Even if it'd been brief, that kiss had felt really good. Amazing, even. Maybe this was one of the things she'd heard and read about - how one tended to feel more alive after a close experience with Death. Because she was definitely feeling ... something for sure. She didn't care enough to pinpoint what that 'something' was.

She closed her eyes, allowing herself to relax while her hand continued gently moving along Jack's face ... before shifting and weaving through his blonde locks. Only when she felt or heard a signal would she stop, but until then? She allowed herself to be as selfish as she possibly could be.

Jack continued to apply CPR, and would do so however long he had to; she was still cold, and growing colder. Even now, tears began to seep from his eyes, that violent churning in his gut getting stronger. The possible fact that he couldn't save her made his heart tear, even muted sobs leaving him as he pressed his lips to hers one last.

Completely unaware of what Fayth was experiencing...Or what was going to happen next.

*SMACK*

His head recoiled a bit, the force of her strike leaving a noticeable red mark on his cheek, hearing Fayth breathlessly apologize as she might cough up the last bits of water in her lungs, able to speak, her color returning as sweet air might return to her. Jack's face was shocked that she'd recovered. "Yes....It's me...Thank god, I thought I'd lost you!" he would say passionately, using his bloodied sleeve to wipe the tears from his eyes.

"I think....we both could....." Jack said, adding "You nearly died too, you know..." But then came the soft caress....And before long, her lips pressed to his, the young woman taking the initiative. But instead of recoiling, Jack pushed into it; he knew very well this was not the place to get too into it. But given they'd survived?

Well...Fayth wasn't the only one in feeling they'd earned a reprieve.

Only when she pulled back did his violet eyes peer into hers. Giving a light smile as she confessed what she'd been feeling, he would say once she finished. "I do too, Fayth...I was scared beyond reason that I was going to lose you. But I'll say it right here and now: I'm not letting anything take you away from me, God or no God.

Once she mentioned getting patched up, Jack just said, "Don't worry....I know even when I'm hurting. Plus we need to get you checked out too." He then looked down and saw their thread was gone...That meant Carly likely vanished.

And he prayed she stayed gone; he would destroy her if he ever saw her again.

Once it might be time to go, Jack shakily stood up, accepting any help Fayth might give. A few steps in however, and his eyes would go wide, clucthing at his stomach as his belly wound got aggravated, a fresh gush of blood deepening the color of the splotch. "Crap....Fayth.....Hopefully you indeed can drive....Because I don't think I keep focus long enough....to get us to Puzzle Hospital.....It....It's not far from here..."

A hand shakily pointed to the north, his voice saying as an eye closed from pain, "It's a few...miles that way. There's only one doctor there....But she should be able to help...."

"YOU STUPID GIRL!"

Came the voice of Asllu Piscu in Carly's head as she might touch down a few miles away, the death throes beginning to race through her body as it might be stayed. "YOU HAD HIM.....HAD YOU JUST BEEN PATIENT, YOU WOULD KNOW THE ONE THING WE NEED TO STAY IN THIS PLANE! I SHOULD LET YOU ROT....BUT LET US REGATHER OURSELVES!"

As a nod to the fact that she wasn't dead, she then felt a surge of energy restabilize her body, leaving her tired but still very much intact. "I WAS SAVING THIS FOR ONE OF THE OTHERS....BUT YOU FORCE MY HAND, CHILD!"

Probably an unwelcome intrusion....But it was here that she would be safe, for the moment. No doubt though, Rutger would be pissed at her failing to kill her target. But then Carly would find herself bound, dark tendrils of evil energy ensnaring her and pinning her against a nearby wall, her arms and legs spread as if she were to be crucified.

"Apparently she is not the only one who needs to learn patience...Or intelligence in general for that matter..."

Came a deeper voice; if Carly looked, she would see a shadowy figure approaching them. Its body cloaked in darkness, a moving black mass seeming to writhe and throb beneath the shadows, eyes red as rubies as they glared at her.

"I give you the gifts you need to win...And you do not even use them...."

At this the figure threw down a pile of cards in front of her, all of the new ones he had gifted to Rutger that could have tipped the scales in her favor. "If there is one thing I despise more than sheer incompetence, it is disrespect. You make light of my generosity by shunning it."

Heavy footsteps would near her bound form, the dark colossal entity soon towering over her. "Tell me Asllu, can you or your vessel give me one good reason why I shouldn't tear what energy you have left and let you fade away into the darkness?"

"Mmmh .... "

The air was indeed sweet. But not nearly as much as feeling Jack actually reciprocate the kiss. She wouldn't have blamed him if he thought her actions were too rash, or even didn't want at all. So when she felt that her guess was actually very wrong ... it certainly earned a soft sigh mingled in with a moan from Fayth. It even made the fact she had to pull away that much more unfortunate. And indeed, if either of them weren't so battered and hurting, she'd be fine with considering doing a lot more than simply kissing him.

Not yet, though. She wasn't going to be that reckless nor selfish.

It'll be worth the wait, she reassured herself, grinning as she heard Jack's own vows about keeping her alive. “I'm holding you to that. We're both ... getting out of this stupid war alive."

Unfortunately, their time relaxing was one of the many things that eventually came to an end. Once Jack got up, even if in a shaky manner, Fayth did also. But her face paled a bit as she took note of just how bad he was bleeding out. "Jesus! Jack?! What the hell even happened? I mean ... I know our Marks kept acting up, but ... that ... looks like she fought you with a sword or some really sharp weapon! Ummm ...."

A slight grimace appeared. He was putting quite a bit of trust into her to pilot his own Duel Runner, which was appreciated. What really worried her was whether she'd have ample time or not. Barely ... but she should. Nodding at the thought, she carefully helped Jack sit down before getting in front of the wheel.

"Since my eyes are going to have to stay on the road, please keep talking to me. I need to make damn sure you're not fading on me or anything. Shoulders or waist ... pick one and hang onto them. Tightly, too. I'll trust you with your hands, but ummm .... yeah. I'm very likely gonna go way over the speed limit."

It'd be one of the few times she could offer a legitimate excuse for breaking a traffic violation so, for once, she wasn't nearly as worried about getting pulled over as she might normally be.

"Okay ... here we go."

A deep breath would first be heard ... before Jack would comprehend The Wheel Of Fortune revving and coming to life. Taking note of where he'd directed and point towards Puzzle Hospital, Fayth did indeed drive off, leaving behind more dust and a bit of a bloody trail. Not just Jack's blood, but her own as well.

"Shut up!" Carly hissed angrily through gritted teeth. It'd taken some of the last bits of energy to teleport herself away, but here she was. Away from Jack and Fayth ... left to her own devices. For better or worse, a peek downward revealed her own fate was unravelling before her eyes. A frustrated whimper left her lips as she started to slump towards the floor.

... After all, if Bommer hadn't been able to stop himself from vanishing ... what could she do?

Someone though seemed to have an answer. A shocked cry rang out in the air as black tendrils abruptly wrapped tightly around her. "What the hell is this?! Let me go already!"

Enough of the old version of Carly had come back during the duel. Ample amounts to recall her first reactions to dying. She'd been horrified ... scared. She'd lamented accepting the offer and now that the memory of what she almost had happen was still very fresh in her head? She felt incredibly fucked up. Were it not for fear of Jack refusing to believe her, she would have considered staying behind long enough to apologize.

Now ... she was stuck in the presence of a very pissed off god, and ...

"Y-you? W-what are you doing here?"

Her body tensed up, and it only made her struggles that much more desperate. Carly's head shook from side to side. "Don't," she begged, "No more. I don't want this anymore. Just let it happen. Let me leave. It's what I deserve and you know it."

Yuna was sitting straight up in bed. Thankfully, all of the exams that needed to be performed were quickly wrapped up after her revival from her coma occurred. Hajime had rather happily informed everyone else - via telepathy to help ensure no one else could hear - that Yuna pulled through. All should be well, and yet ....

That wasn't how Yuna was feeling at that moment. If anything, it was the very opposite.

Yuna? Hajime asked, looking into her eyes with genuine concern.

" ... I think it's time," she muttered, nodding as she stood up. "Get the Disciples. We're leaving."

... Leaving? Where to?

Yuna shook her head. "I'm not sure yet. But right now, I just know ... this isn't a good place to be. I can't say why or how I know. But we need to move. Now ... actively get up on your feet and let them know what I said."

Hajime rose an eyebrow. Even without using her telepathy, Yuna could understand what he was taken aback by. Why not inform them with his powers? Yuna merely shook her head as she pulled Hajime close and whispered, "They have them too, you know. The demons."

.... I see. He left it at that, purposely ensuring his reply was vague. And it was a fair enough concern, particularly if Yuna was dead on that they may need to be something to look out for. Nodding at Yuna's words, Hajime looked curiously at his boss.

"I'm getting Shivini, Eikichi, and Mei. I'll meet up with you. Go towards the back entrance. Do not speak to anyone who isn't a Disciple, understand me?"

Perfectly.

And with that, the two split up, heading quickly towards the destinations, determined to fulfill their set tasks so they could leave this place as safely as possible.

Last edited:

The cloaked figure watched as she struggled and tried to break free, those tendrils holding her tight, his footsteps stopping as he would stand right in front of her. A shadow-cloaked hand reached up to roughly grab her jaw. What felt like cold rigid steel touched her skin.

"Why? You were all for this when you fought against Jack; does the stain of defeat shake your resolve that much?" the giant cloaked figure asked, her body being inspected. "It seemed, Asllu, that gift of yours saved your vessel. I have yet to hear an answer to why I should not obliterate the both of you...."

"BECAUSE WE CAN WIN! IGNACIOUS, I AM NOT LIKE CHACU!"

The shadowy figure seemed to pause, releasing Carly's cheeks from his grip. "You asked why I was here....And it is to punish you, as you said you would do to that blowhard Jack Atlas." Yes, it seemed this 'Ignacious' had indeed watched the entirety of her Duel. "I will commend you for using the one named Fayth as a means to weaken his resolve....But you failed to follow through. And now...."

At this, the black binds tightened around her, before long piercing her chest. "I will show you the price of failure, wench."

Even as an undead, Carly would certainly feel this: She would feel something evil invade her soul, entwining into her very being as she would feel her spirit being split apart, the bond with her Earthbound God forcibly being severed.

"IGNACIOUS! WAIT! AAAAAGH!"

The God screamed, the shadow-cloaked's power tearing him from his vessel as after a few but very intense moments of mind-breaking pain, an orange and black orb rested in his hand, then it would morph into a card before being disintegrated and absorbed into him. And yet...Carly would still be...alive? In fact, she would be alive....Fully human once more.

"I cannot stand those who beg....But worry not, wench. Your punishment is near its end...In fact, you should feel honored. My true bride will gladly use your form as her own."

And before Carly might be able to interject, she would feel a pounding in her chest. Painful....Excruciating even. "I offer you to the Darkness once more...But this time as my vassal. Come, my true Queen! Accept this sacrifice of flesh and come to my side!"

Back in Yomi, it was largely business as usual; Finlay had returned after Yuna's re-awakening, his father needing aid. Leaving the Disciples and Yuna's forces, along with the Demons, to maintain control.

"Takeshi...." Yamichi asked, the two now sitting out in the common area as several others played some games: Poker, table tennis and even Duel Monsters. "Yeah, what is it?" he asked the tech, Yamichi fidgeting nervously. "You...Do you think Hotsuma is...." he started to ask, Takeshi clapping him on the shoulder. "Look man, I realize things are fucked....But we'll find him. And make him tell us what actually happened.

But as an interrupt to their conversation, the tiny little Trance Demon that had walked past began to shudder, his body freezing up as he gripped his skull. Several of the other Demons noticed, and came over to investigate. "Stupid little imp!" one of them said, kicking the small demon as it skittered towards Yamichi and Takeshi. Yamichi stood up and shouted, "Hey! The fuck is wrong with you...Ahg..." he winced as he clutched his leg, Takeshi then scooping up Trance Demon and holding him close. "Hey, relax little guy.....You're safe."

The demons snarled, one of them even trying to go forward before another stopped him. "Let the imp find reprieve in these weaklings...Why the Lord has us guard these pathetic creatures any further is beyond me." A third then pointed his blade at his throat, "Question the Lord again and your head will decorate the pikes outside, heretic." Something that shut up the other two altogether.

Takeshi continued to hold onto Trance Demon, the little guy shaking and shuddering more. "Hey...You cold?" he would say, grabbing a blanket and giving it to him. The tiny imp clutched it close, saying "Helps....But not cold....No....Afraid...Evil approaches.....Yomi....Grave danger...Death comes" Takeshi's eyes widened, Yamichi saying, "What do you mean in danger...."

*BOOM*

A loud explosion rocked one of the walls, several demons getting scattered as dark-robed figures entered through the now massive hole in the once-fortified barrier. Any demons that tried to rush them were....Killed. Turned to dust. What the FUCK?!

"Oh shit! EVERYONE OUT!"

People tried to scatter...But demons and humans alike were set upon by evil specters, soon turned into purple balls of energy. "Hold the line! Drive them back!" then said the Commander, every demon that could rushing at the strange beings and starting to fight. The massive commander then picking up Takeshi and Yamichi and running with them towards the former Warden's office. "Hey, what the hell! Those people need our help!" Takeshi shouted, the Commander growling "Shut it, whelp! I was charged to protect this facility's commanding officers and I never fail in my duty, even if I care little for it!"

But then Takeshi slammed his fist into the groinplate, making the Commander drop him as he shoved the tiny demon into the . "You want to protect someone! Protect these two! He's injured and can't fight! I'm going back there!" he said, Yamichi shouting, "Takeshi, don't!" But he was already taking back off, even if he couldn't do anything....He had to try! But as he ran back, several dark robed figures appeared, Takeshi activating his Duel Disk...He might not be a Psychic, but he did see several of them had Decks.

"Come on then! You little bitches want a battle, I'll give you a war!" Takeshi shouted.

"Stupid braggart....Fine then!" he said, Yamichi squirming as he still was held before being carried away. "No, fuck off! We have to help him! Those could be the Dark Signers!" Yamichi shouted, the Commander shouting "Those are Dark Signers, and they are nothing you can face as you are! Nothing I can face as I am! Once I have the leaders out, I will buy you some time to escape!"

And soon enough, the Commander burst in, seeing everyone there. "C-Commander?! What's going on!?" Mei shouted, the Commander putting Yamichi on the floor as he might address her and the others now inside the office. "The Dark Signers are coming after us...You all must go now, I will go and buy you all some time to escape. Now RUN!" And with that, the Commander slammed the door as he ran out, the outside panel crushed as the office went into full lockdown, heavy bolts slamming into place that few could break through and the windows having heavy metal shutters slam down, the exit port lit up for them to climb down and flee.

"Damn you, Oboro...But I suppose following you is better than that bastard Emperor...You'll pay for letting these hoodrats infest MY Faciility." the commander growled once out of earshot, running back towards the chaos.

Last edited:

A smile managed to appear as the shadow directed its words at her and revealed that Fayth had indeed pulled through. That honestly made her feel better, more so now that her mindset had reverted to the Carly that Jack and the public knew. Rutger and the others would be disappointed if they were around, but that was fine. She truly hadn't wanted this rebirth. But it was also true to say Carly hadn't wanted to die ... and it was the only reason she allowed Asllu Pisca to revive her at all.

So hearing that ... and having a feeling she was about to leave this world again? It made her feel more at peace. Scared, sure. But she could better accept her fate.

The pain, however, was a very different story. Her eyes widened as her fists clenched up. She writhed and squirmed ... before letting a loud, long, and very pained scream of agony out. Only when the process was finished did her body go still. Except ... her heart was .... wait a moment. It was beating?! She blinked, looking down at herself.

Lo and behold, she hadn't imagined things. Not only was she human again, but the robes had seemed to change to her more normal attire. One of the main things missing were her glasses. But otherwise ... it truly did seem like she was back to normal.

"W-what's the catch? Why ... w-what are you doing now?" And when she heard the answer, her eyes widened in horror. "NO! GO AWAY! NO! NO! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" Sure enough, darkness did indeed once again envelop her. And while she did have another awakening ... it was certainly different from the last time. Very much so, indeed.

The loud boom was most definitely heard by all. However, it would be Hajime that would follow it. And when he arrived, he found quite a few Dark Signers fighting off against some of the demons.

Fuck! he internally cursed, looking frantically around. Takeshi was nearby, but not Yamichi ... which concerned him a bit. Where the hell was the second-in-command of The Disciples? Well ... first thing was first. Being able to find and comply with Yuna's orders would be a start.

He ran quickly up towards Takeshi, shaking his head wildly from side to side.

Dude, come on! This is a shitty time! We need to go!

... No response. It was like he was in a trance or too focused, maybe even too determined to get revenge after his own incident.

Come on, seriously! We need to be smart about this!

"It's okay, Hajime."

The bluenette whipped his head around, finding himself staring at Eikichi. Onii-san? Why aren't you with Yuna?!

The purple-haired male smiled as he put a hand on Hajime's shoulder. "You've always been good at keeping her safe. You need to keep doing that. Go meet up with her. Survive this ... no matter what."

Hajime's heart sank ... and then he slammed Eikichi against the wall. Hard.

Are you seriously telling me to just leave you behind? Is that what I'm fucking hearing from you?!

"It is."

Look here, I'm second between us! Don't be --

"You won't be if you die here, now will you?" Before Hajime could quip back, he was shoved away, with Eikichi turning and pivoting on his feet. "She's waiting for you. Just like she said."

And what the hell do you want me to tell her about The Disciples?!

"It's my fault. I slowed them. Or, if you really want, the actual truth. I shoved you away and made you focus on helping keep her and Shivini alive."

This is insane! I can't just ...

But before Hajime could finish, a massive Psychic blast just barely missed him. And since he had his own abilities, even if not nearly as strong as Yuna's, he managed to detect it in time. With how close it'd gotten to him, it created a large cloud of dust. He tried to peek through it ... see if he could sense or notice Eikichi. Another one, however, helped emphasize Eikichi's warning. If he stayed put, he would die.

DAMNIT! Hajime cursed, giving the wall one frustrated punch, just because he could, before getting up to his feet and running. The same massive door that had bolted shut opened as quickly as it could. Sure enough, behind it were Mei, Yuna, and Shivini. Yuna shot Hajime an irked glare ... before tugging her second inside and re-shutting the door.

"I guess you couldn't get all of them? Fuck. It couldn't be helped, huh?" she muttered bitterly, grimacing as she patted her pocket. In the midst of running and grabbing her own members, she'd snuck into the supply area long enough to grab a gun and some spare bullets. Just in case any humans enemies tried to come after them ... or at least something that bullets would work on. "Fuck ... fine."

"So where are we going? W-wait, what about Eikichi?! Hajime?"

Hajime sadly shook his head. He stayed behind. He's helping Takeshi.

"Well, shit ... " Yuna mumbled, clicking her tongue in annoyance. "Hopefully he'll pull through, but as it is? We can't stay here much longer, either."

"So where do we go?!"

Yuna gritted her teeth. She'd tried to think about that answer while running here. Nothing had come up ... and worse off, no ideas were trying to appear in her mind. Finally, however, a light bulb all but conjured itself above her head. "I got it. Okay! Come on, follow me!"

Yuna would glance back one last time ... and frown when there were no immediate signs of the others. With the urgency of this escape, she didn't bother grabbing her wheeler. Just her deck and her crewmates as well as the trustworthy doctor in Mei and Yamichi. But for now, that was all she needed. Fortunately, the destination she had in mind was close enough that they could get to it on foot.

And sure enough, after a jog about five minutes away from The Facility, she shoved the doors open to what appeared like a simple house. Yuna panted heavily, peeking inside ... and found only darkness and furniture to greet her. "G-good ... " she panted heavily, nodding as she stepped aside and allowed everyone else to enter.

"What is this place?" Shivini asked, helping Yamichi carefully walk inside.

"My ... my old home. Since .... I learned the hard way Rose was my actual sister in ... in addition to the duel spirit linked ... to me ... she ... probably has a spare room somewhere. It's likely the guest room that I never took ... much note of ... when I was younger. Got remodeled or some shit. At ... at any rate ... there's enough room for all of us."

After taking a few moments to gather her breath, Yuna moved from the entrance and walked inside the kitchen. Somewhat amazingly, there were some water bottles left behind, but that was mostly it. The cabinets were empty which ... was annoying, but not overly surprising.

"Tch, damn. Not that lucky. Well ... that can be figured out when things calm down. For now ... just wait and hang in there. It's gonna be a long ass night."

And what if any of The Disciples do get out of that mess alive? I doubt any of them know about here, so ....

Yuna bowed her head, nodding as Hajime pointed out one of the bigger problems with them leaving everyone else behind. "I know! Trust me, I do, okay? As for them? I suppose we can take turns doing guard shifts. If any of you see them on the streets or anything, guide them here. But for the love of whatever may still be holy, be very, very, very careful about it ... please. Right now ... one of the best things we can do is lay low and rest while we have the chance to do so. Now that things have officially started ..."

Yuna sighed, moving some black strands of hair behind her ear before nodding one more time.

"Think. I brought up that when this began, I had full intentions of helping Yusei and the others out. Now is the time to make up your final answer. I won't judge anyone who doesn't wanna. But now, more so than ever, I need to know who all is going to join me. We're just going to be smart about how we fighting them and had we stayed back? We'd be good as dead. We're not going to let anything that may have happened do so in vain, though. That's a damn promise."

With that, Yuna headed further into the house, coming to a hall with several doors on either side. "I want an answer by morning from you guys."

And with that, the door to Yuna's room was closed. Shivini glanced over at Hajime, looked horrified at all she was registering. Hajime, meanwhile, felt sick to his stomach for having left his 'brother' behind. "What are you two going to do?" Shivini asked, her voice barely above a whisper.

Do you really need to ask? Of course I'm joining her. I love her, goddamnit. But since she doesn't wanna give up on Hotsuma ... I'm not gonna force her to forget about him. Even if a part of me wishes she would.

"Y-you ... wow. Heh. You are quite the devoted second, aren't you?"

Damn fucking straight.

"Well ... " Shivini sighed before sitting down on a nearby couch. "I'm probably gonna accompany you. I owe Yuna way too much and ... there would be even less to gain if I refused to help out."

Nodding at the Amazoness user's response, Hajime turned on his heels, following the same direction Yuna had gone ... but entered through a different door. Sure enough, just as she hinted, there were multiple bedrooms. It was a bit dusty, at worst, but everything was otherwise furnished and in tact. More mentally drained than physically, Hajime plopped down on the bed.

Truthfully, he'd rather be with Yuna. But he'd been deathly serious with Shivini about refusing to do anything she wouldn't want. And if that meant continuing to wait? He'd do so .... even if that meant waiting the rest of his days and possibly dying a virgin. Because unless someone else could capture his heart? He didn't really envision himself falling for anyone else, and definitely not anytime soon.

Shivini, meanwhile, was left with Mei and Yamichi. Mei merely shook her head. "This ... is insane. Devotion is one thing, but this is ... on another level. That said ... since it does sound like most of you are that fine being involved in this ..."

Mei gave a stoic nod.

"I'll see what I can do to support you all from afar. It'll be easier when I can try to go back and either get the supplies from the Facility or get a new set. But either way, I'll need tools to help in this endeavor. What about you, Yamichi?"

Yamichi Hizumara::Takeshi Yamaguchi:: Demon Commander​

Takeshi continued to fight, his willpower not letting him give up. A literal 20 to 1?

Fucking bring it, he had thought to himself. About half the group he had fought in the narrow hallway. At his front stood his two most trusted Synchros: Blade God and War God. Several more stood in front of them all the same: Castle Gate, Jigen Bakudan, Psycho Shocker and a few others.

However, a series of crashes could be heard as he sensed something even more dangerous.

*BANG!*

Out came a very welcome sight: Dark Magician and the infamous twins known as Gemini Elf, the powerful monsters knocking back several of the Dark Signer drones, and with more on the way. Which could only mean....

"So...Still getting your ass kicked, Takeshi?" Came the confident voice of Eikichi. "Not likely....I'm just cleaning up a rat problem here." Takeshi replied, soon joined at his side by Yuna's other big gun. "So...The others?" Takeshi asked, Eikichi replying, "Out the door...The big guy threw Yamichi in and sealed it shut."

The drones just kept coming, one saying "It matters not how you fight....You will both die here."

"NOT UNLESS WE TAKE YOU DOWN FIRST!"

Came a loud and boisterous voice, the massive form of the Demon Commander now landing behind the two of them. "I got them out, so don't sass me!" it would say, a shadowy disk appearing on his arm. Takeshi scowled, the Commander looking down, "Bitch all you want....But this is still MY Facility! Even if your punkass leader let you take up home in it!"

At this Eikichi raised a brow; that tone....Yuna told him about the old owner. "You must be...." he woudl say, the Commander cutting him off "That's right, maggot! Facility Chief Takasu Armstrong! I only saved your pathetic hides because your little bitch leader managed to free me!" Takeshi rose a brow, "The hell are you talking about...Hotsuma hasn't even been here!"

The other drones laughed, "Enough infighting! I sacrifice my Jigen Bakudan to Summon Spell Canceller!" to which another declared, "I then activate my Trap Card, Call of the Damnded! And bring back Splendid Venus! And since my friend's Psycho Shocker has Amplifier equipped, she returns! Which means our Spells are safe! While yours are sealed!"

Eikichi, Takeshi and Armstrong all refocused. "I'll explain as much as I can once we're out....But right now I'm planning on kicking some ass!" Eikichi and Takeshi both nodded, the former saying "We're holding you to that". And like that, those three went bravely against the hordes....

Yamichi had been right behind them all as he carried the Trance Demon through the secret and damp tunnel, soon emerging in a maintenance ditch. They must be near the ocean, because he could hear the rushing currents near them. "Please...Keep running...." Trance Demon whimpered, Yamichi replying "Relax, little guy....We're gonna get somewhere safe." Thanks to Mei, he was hobbling his crippled ass as fast as he could.

He still had a healing break to keep in mind after all...And he was gonna feel it tonight. But soon the group managed to run into an old house...Desolate and dusty, but otherwise oddly well-kept. Cleaner than a lot of the houses in the Satellite actually...And when Yuna told them who it was belonging to? "That means..." he would say, giving a slight wince as Mei helped him find somewhere to sit down.

Yamichi just tried to rest, holding Trance Demon close as Yuna might give them their instructions. "Yeah...Yeah sure....God....Who the fuck...attacks innocents like that?!" the tech said, his anger making his injury flare up, Mei trying to soothe him as she said, "Please calm down...Don't worry, I'm sure others managed to escape...Just have faith. Like you told me about you and Hotsuma and Takeshi did."

Were it so easy....Yamichi had been trying to remember Hotsuma's teachings. About believing. That God would watch over them....And where did that get them? An invasion by demonic forces? A leader missing....Or at this point, likely killed?

"Hard to believe....When it's nothing but demons around you...." Yamichi replied, Mei giving a slight frown as she helped him take some pain medication. "Unfortunately without my actual supplies...I can't really diagnose your leg. But if you just take it easy....We'll figure out a way to make this work."

And then Yuna went off, leaving Yamichi with Mei and Shivini. "Of course I'm in...But with my leg still jacked up, I don't know if I can do anything on the front line. I might...Have to leave that to you, Shivini...You, Hajime and Yuna."

At this Trance Demon seemed to quiver again, "Hurts..." Yamichi then sat up, "Hey, what's up...." At this Trance Demon howled loudly, Yamichi practically falling on top of him and shoving the blanket over his mouth, the imp thrashing as it clutched its head. "Hey, hey! Shut the hell up! You'll get us killed, you fucking idiot!" Mei tried to fight with Yamichi too, saying "Stop, you'll hurt him!" Yamichi then snarled, "If he doesn't stop howling like a pissed-off cat, he'll draw whatever the fuck attack the Facility right to us! Then we'll be dead! " Mei recoiled; she hadn't see Yamichi this worked up in some time.

But then Trance Demon calmed down, Mei getting Yamichi to pull back as the imp breathed heavily, the momentary chaos able to die down. Its bulging red eyes seemed to dart from point to point, a thin layer of sweat on its body. "S...Sosuke...." it whimpered, standing up on its emaciated limbs.

Yamichi then stared right at the little demon; the hell did it say? "Sosuke...Who...How do you...." Yamichi asked, Trance Demon flinching as he sat up. Yamichi just sighed, "Look, I'm sorry....But we're in a bad spot...So why did you say Sosuke....Who told you that name...." The little demon, a long nail touching at the floor, "Sosuke....Told....Said....Name...Hotsuma....Oboro....Says...Help...Mad...Doctor...Has him....."

Shivini cringed as Yamichi tried to stifle the demon's cries. On one hand .... she wouldn't have gone quite that far. But on the other ... he wasn't wrong. If he drew enough noise, they would be found and killed. Likely in a heartbeat, too, with zero hesitation. And if only to ensure they stayed alive ... she didn't really scold Yamichi for his actions. Were they harsh? Absolutely, but ... he wasn't intending to kill, either, and that was another reason she held herself back.

"He's right. Please, lower your voice."

Whereas Yamichi would immediately understand what the Trance Demon was beginning to say, Shivini did not. She only began to understand as it further elaborated itself. Apparently, Hotsuma wasn't even Hotsuma. Under normal circumstances, she'd be really miffed, but then again ... she had also fallen for Yuna's own guise for quite a while. So ... it wouldn't be the most fair given Yuna had done the same trick once before; and not just with her name, but her gender.

Besides, it gave a much more important message that mattered far more than being deceived.

"He's ... you mean that?! You're certain?!"

And once he confirmed this was the case, Shivini hastily got up to her feet. "That has been something Yuna's been terrified about. It'll be reassuring for her to finally hear this. You ... you can have the couch, Yamichi. I'm probably gonna take another spot to retire in for the night." With that, she rushed off, leaving Yamichi alone with Mei and Trance Demon.

Morning would come, albeit uneasily. In the Tops, in the former Arcadia Movement base in fact, was Aki Izayoi. No, this was definitely not the smartest place to hide out at. She knew and understand that. Alas, she didn't really have many other places to go. She had something most others didn't; a family. But ... no. They were absolutely out of the question, for an array of reasons that mattered solely to her. Besides ... the solitude was, as far as Aki was concerned, her Karma.

For what?

Well ... everything, quite frankly. All the pain she'd inflicted. Losing one of the few people that truly did understand and give even half a damn about her. And then ... losing the two others that she had, at least somewhat, started to befriend. Well ... she thought she had, anyway. But that was where her belief in Karma finally paying her back kicked in, because on the opposite side of that coin? She wouldn't blame Yuna or Hotsuma for wanting absolutely nothing to do with her. Not after all she allowed to happen to them.

It actually made the fact she was contacted by Hajime that much more shocking. They certainly hadn't had a decent last encounter, either. But indeed, he'd let her know Yuna had woken up. When she asked what that meant and the details were revealed ... even that story made a shiver go down Aki's spine. In her mind, Yuna was even stronger than herself. Why? Because it took a lot of courage to go against a person. And she'd fought, both physically and mentally, Divine since day one.

So to hear what these Dark Signers had done to her ... yeah. It did make Aki very unnerved. Scared, even.

Which made her lack of moving that much more foolish. She was only tempting her own Fate, and even though she did know that, some part of her also ... seemed to accept it.

She'd always justified staying in place by insisting that, eventually, she would be found.

"I guess it's my turn, hmmm?" she finally asked calmly, slowly getting to her feet as she sensed another presence. Likely the very person she'd expected. And sure enough, they would come forth and reveal not only were they a Dark Signer, but one she'd had a bit of a past with. Misty. "But ... before we do anything, I refuse to let this building get damaged any further. So ... let's take this elsewhere, shall we?"

Aki produced and revealed a Teleport card. The very same one Divine had given her, in fact, and placed it atop her duel disk. They would both be enveloped .... and reappear in the Satellite. In an undisclosed and unrecognizable alleyway.

That was fine, though. The further away, the better, in Aki's mind.

"There. Now I'm ready."

The fighting at the Facility drew out longer than expected....But as a certain Dark Signer went to investigate the wreckage, she found a mess. The Facility had been destroyed, leveled to its very foundation. Any and all hopes of survivors crushed. She took a moment to walk through the rubble, seeing the bodies piled among the ruined structure.

This was war....And she did feel a twinge of remorse at the children she saw laying in the destruction. But...This was necessary. If their goal was to stop the Crimson Dragon and eradicate the Signers, then the Gods required sacrifices. However, as she walked past a certain set of bodies, she found one in particular.

"So....It seems you went down fighting. A shame....Could have used your strength to further our goal." she would say, her green hues peering on Takeshi's unmoving figure. The boy seemed oddly...At peace. Knowing his objective was accomplished; maybe soon she would get that same closure. A hand went to the locket still around her neck, seeing her younger brother's face. "Tobi...." she whispered, her hand closing around it as the facial markings lit up. Soon her body coming alive with energy, absorbing the final vestiges of the dead's energies and leaving their bodies completely wiped from existence.

"Good...Now, where is that Signer wench? You had figured she would come here to aid her ally...But yet she is not here."

A good question, Misty thought. But then one thought did come to mind: Arcadia. That same wretched organization that her brother wished to join. To use his power to change the world for the better. And in an instant...His life taken. Unjustly by the Witch!

She then walked a bit further, now at the ocean's edge...Fine then. If she wouldn't come to here, she would go to her. Her threat of destroying everyone she held dear seemed empty now; they would have little way of tracing Yuna if her people were dead. But then if the Gods triumphed? No one else besides them would survive anyway. Taking a deep breath, she then took a step off, a gigantic lizard capable of swimming materializing beneath her as she landed gracefully on its back, soon the giant beast hurtling through the water and carrying her towards the Tops.

Once there, she disembarked, staring upon the edge of the silent city. Her feet carrying her onward as the empty streets of Neo Domino greeted her.

WARNING, WARNING, UNITL FURTHER NOTICE, ALL RESIDENTS PLEASE SHELTER IN PLACE. WARNING, WARNING, UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE, ALL RESIDENTS, PLEASE SHELTER IN PLACE.

Misty pushed on even as the PA speakers cycled that message over and over; clearly Goodwin had some degree of intellect...Even if it might not matter in the end. Not wishing any confrontation, her true abilities kicked in, her body turning completely invisible. She knew where Arcadia was, but it was still a long walk. Between that and the traversal across the seas, it would take until daybreak to find her. The first day of fighting done....And Misty knew that two of her comrades had been destroyed. Incompetent fools, both of them. Bommer she blamed the least; he was the newest, but Carly? She was hopeless, always a whiner, the woman recalled how much the girl kicked and fought when she was awakened.

Well, let her find peace then, Misty thought....But then she came across Arcadia, raising a brow as she saw it leveled. This made a ghost of a smirk cross her face; well now, this was comforting in some degree, seeing the Black Rose Witch crawl out of the wreckage, her form appearing as the sun shone upon them both. "Last I remember, I told you where we would have our battle. And that I would kill everyone you loved if you did not show." Misty would say, but relented as they were teleported.

At least until they reappeared in a dank alleyway. Secluded and desolate? Oh no, no she would be destroyed in a place where everyone could see. A place with plenty of places for people to watch.

"I am not....So unless you wish me to kill you here and now, you will follow me to our true battleground. You do not make the rules here, Black Rose Witch." Misty sneered, plenty of venom in her voice as she would lead the way. Soon enough the pair came across an abandoned and wrecked theme park, both standing dead center in the plaza where throngs of parkgoers would mingle and play games to win those idiotically cute prizes. It brought back memories, to Misty at least. There was a place just like this in the Tops Tobi loved going to, and when she wasn't doing a gig she would take him as part of a reward for his studies.

It was those times she cherished....And now they were gone. But as she turned to face Akiza once more, a Duel Disk - colored black and striped with green - materializing on her arm, her body starting to flare and pulse as her anger began to bubble and seethe. "Just as you stole Tobi from me, I will steal your life and dignity from you! Let this battle be your trial, WITCH!" Raising her arm, that mark upon her flesh ignited, burning a violent neon-green as the field roared to life around them. Unseen, it would take the shape of the Lizard around them, the two now sealed in combat.

"I will take the first turn! Draw!"

And as if fate seemed to smile upon her, there it was...Her God. But no Field Magic....Fine. He could have his chance to destroy her later if she would be able to get it. "I summon Reptiless Scylla in Attack Position!" she would declare, a horrific chimeric looking monster appearing on her side of the field. "I end my turn." Her gaze hardened as she stared at Akiza, an expression as poisonous as her attitude on her face as she stated, "Tell me, Witch....Do you enjoy reveling in destruction? Is that why you took to the ruins of your former home? Did you think 'Some home is better than none'? I only wish I had been there to see it crumble....To watch everything you helped build come crashing down around you, like you did to me!"

" ... You think I have those sorts of individuals? People I love? That's hilarious. Cute even."

Still, Aki didn't argue and went along, if only to humor her. It wouldn't be until they reappeared that she went on to elaborate herself better. "The only one I might have worried about ... one is already dead. The others? Haven't even spoken to me in months. I regret to inform you about this, Misty, but you'll only succeed partially in your endeavor, and that's if you do win to start with. I have no intentions of throwing the duel away, of course."

No one in their right mind would, after all.

"But alas ... my life is the only thing you'll take. My dignity? I'm afraid someone beat you to that along with some other traits of mine." Aki shrugged as she slid her deck into her disk and flashed Misty a coy grin. "But that shouldn't matter to you, right? You're so hellbent and blinded by your revenge that, ultimately, you barely care about much of anything. And yet, in that regard ... I kind of understand. If this is how my life ends ... I've been ready for it. I can leave without regrets."

As Misty started her turn, Aki took a moment to glance around and examine their surroundings. A carnival, it would seem. Or at least ... where it would be hosted, if the timing were correct. Aki nodded after noting where she insisted on fighting then turned her attention back to the field, taking note of what Misty had played. An 1800 attack, four star monster. Not too shabby. In fact, she would need very specific cards to even ensure she could have a decent enough beginning for this duel.

.... And there it was. A smile appeared on her face as she drew, seeming to ignore what were likely meant to come off as taunts against Aki. And when she finally did respond? It definitely wasn't in a way she was likely expecting.

"Does the answers truly matter in the end? I could tell you ... but let's be real. You don't care at all to know the truth about why I was in Arcadia. Nor are you truly curious whether I still have a sadistic side or not, though I will at least reveal that much. Yes and no. I think of it more so as an aggressive nature compared to being happy and proud of willingly hurting people. But when I need to protect myself? I have zero qualms defending myself, even if that means hurting someone in the process. But no ... "

Her head shook as she drew the top card off her deck.

"I don't need to be a Psychic to know it's the loss of your loved one eating away at you. Do I get it? Yes ... but therein lies the difference. I don't let it consume me like it has been you. But then ... you've refused to acknowledge the truth about those circumstances. Your hatred is forbidding you from understanding all that truly happened ... and for those reasons plus a few more? I pity you. I can leave this world now and have zero regrets, but you? You'd be a lost soul ... assuming that stayed intact in the first place. Now then, I'll set two cards and summon Botanical Lion."

Which, courtesy of its own effect, did allow it to surpass the Scylla. Barely, mind you ... only by 100 points. But it was better than not being able to summon anything and getting a direct hit next turn.

"Botanical Lion! Attack and vanquish the Scylla!"

And ... nothing. No set cards were activated. Mentally noting that, Aki studied the field one last time before declaring, "Turn end. You can scream and yell as much as you wish, but I'm not giving you that type of satisfaction. Whatever happens is going to happen, and neither of us will be able to stop whatever Fate may fall upon either of us. That's all there is to this duel."

Back
Top Bottom