Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Yu-gi-oh 5Ds: Rise of Darkness and Corruption (Athene/ImaginaryMuse & Razgriz)

"You're...not a Signer...." Torunka would say. Well, at the very least Yubel was here...But this will be considerably more difficult. "No...But like I said, I am her brother. And I will do whatever I have to make sure Ancient Fairy Dragon gets out okay." Torunka rubbed the back of his head, "Even so, I believe only a Signer's gifts will be able to break the dark hold over this land completely. Zeman has completely entrenched himself deep in the Ancient Forest, taken over the old castle where Oberon resided."

At this Rua spoke up, "How do you know all this anyway?" Torunka sighed, "Because I followed their troops after they turned all the Spirits here to stone." Rua just blinked, "Turned them...to stone?" The young-looking mage nodded, "Whatever those staffs they wield are, they exude a negative energy that paralyzes a Spirit at its core. Seals their essence inside a construct of some unknown material. And...It's part of the reason I'm like this..."

Even more surprises it seems. "You mean...This isn't how you normally look?" Torunka then slammed a fist, "Of course not! I'm thousands, hundreds of thousands of years old! But that accursed Zeman. His foul magics stole my powers, sealed me in this bo...Owwwww..." At this Torunka bent over, his back experiencing a painful twinge, a hand coming to push at the knot there. "You're....an old man then?" Rua would ask, Torunka snapping "Respect your elders, young one!"

Rua just held up his hands, "I'm sorry...Look, do you know where this castle is? Maybe Regulus is near there." Torunka shook his head, "I do not know....But as your friend asked, we should try to find Regulus as soon as possible." Torunka looked up and out the window, seeing the monkey troops had disappeared.

Looking back at Judai, he would say, "We should move now before they come back; if they felt Yubel's energy, they'll doubtless find us if we stay." As he might try to move, he then fell over, hands on his back. "My back....I...I am sorry....But could one of you....Carry me?"

Rua nodded, helping Torunka onto his back. "Point us in the right direction alright? We can try to find Regulus first, if he's important to freeing Ancient Fairy Dragon." Torunka nodded and pointed to their left, "We should go that way...That will lead us to the castle. With any luck we can also run across Regulus. He still patrols the Forest. The curse on him did not dissuade him from his duty."

*=======================================================================================================================*

Meanwhile, a certain young nerd was busy enjoying his recent time with his girlfriend. He was thankful to have this time to spend with her; their date got ruined after all. Though he could do without the fans swarming them, even if it was the fact that Ling was the new Duel Queen.

And naturally...Neither of them would have any inkling what was going on. Or how dire the situation was becoming...Or that soon things might very well turn on their head.

For the moment though, the two would be enjoying their company at an udon shop near Ling's home. Thanks to her fame, there was all the fun that came with being the new Duel Queen and the face of Professional Duelists across Neo Domino City: Calls at near all hours of the day, even at night. But for the time being? Her phone was conspicuously silent, something Yamichi was infinitely grateful for.

Taking a slurp of his noodles, Yamichi just let out a sigh of contentment, "Man....Where I'm from, food this good is practically unheard of. Thanks again, Ling." This was probably the third time he'd thanked her, but he did want her to know that he was very much appreciative of her support and letting him stay while he healed. In truth though, he was wanting to go back at some point. Maybe tomorrow.

"Hey...So what do you want to do after this? I think I can try to walk a bit more today without the crutches; my leg is feeling a lot better." Yamichi would say.

You may need to change back into my form ... or at the very least, use our powers to help fix the way things are here.

Judai grimaced, but he couldn't argue with Yubel given the circumstances. It was seeming pretty dire ... and push was probably going to come to shove. If it normally took the power of a Signer, but that wasn't around at the moment ... it seemed logical that a different source of power was the next best thing. He tucked Yubel's words away, quietly listening for now to the talk between Torunka and Rua.

As if they didn't have enough things working against them, seeing Torunka in pretty horrible shape due to these curses was another one. Suffice to say, the normally clam and carefree Judai was definitely not around. He wasn't crazed or unhinged; but it would be easy to notice his silence and then take note of the incredibly stoic glance in his eyes. It was very difficult to make Judai nervous, let alone to the degrees of scared, but this mission was actually succeeding a bit in that regard. Still, losing himself would do anyone any good, least of all himself so he was at least attempting to keep his feelings under wraps.

"Thank you. An idea is much better than wandering around with zero clues. Let's go then. With any luck, maybe I'll walk by some familiar landscapes from when I used to live here."

After making sure that Rua was able to carry Torunka with no real troubles, Judai began to walk forward, heading the direction Torunka pointed out. It really was nerve-wracking. Even the enemies he dealt with in the past ... none had wanted him dead. Well ... maybe Darkness, but that was the only one. Even Brron, cruel as he'd been, found a reason to keep Judai alive.

A heinous one, mind you, but at least he hadn't died after that encounter went horribly wrong.

Now though, here in this whole dimension, Death was a very real and huge possibility. And worse off, they wanted to try to separate Yubel ... which would likely lead to experimentation first, then being killed. Either way, it wasn't really something Judai wanted to endure, and definitely not think about. Granted, as far as he knew, there was no way to undo his fusion with Yubel. That had been made permanent.

... But it probably wouldn't stop any of The Dark Signers from trying anything, and they'd find out the hard way just how strong - and permanent - their bond was.

Judai took a long, deep breath to help clam himself, continuing to move his feet. Both his eyes and ears were very open and alert. Ambushes were another thing he wanted to avoid, and while he used to live here, this was a very different Spirit World. One with corrupt souls and spirits here. He needed to tread with caution, not confidence even though he did know about this place.

The time the two had been able to experience was nothing short of amazing. Alas, all good things needed to come to an end, and even now, Ling could feel that time was soon approaching. With instances like the attack at the theater, it was common sense for Ling to comprehend that Yamichi wouldn't be safe here. Not forever, anyway. And it was precisely because of memories like those that seh knew ... he would probably have to head back.

"Well .... hmmm .... " Ling's hand tucked under her jaw as she tried to think about ideas. Thankfully, she'd been done with her udon for a few minutes, and thus didn't have to switch between eating and thinking. "I guess we could ... "

Before she could finish that train of thought, however, she damn well nearly jumped out of her seat - and Yamichi may also - as a voice entered both of their heads.

Sorry, you two. I've been letting the others know.

"Fucking hell, Hajime! I'm too young for a heart attack!"

Fortunately, if anyone else had been watching them, no one was staring at her like she was crazy. It didn't stop a tinge of crimson from appearing on her face, though, as she lowered her voice, only allowing Yamichi to hear her.

"Apology accepted, simply because you didn't do this before, so I'm assuming this is important."

It is. Very much so. And I've been having to tell others like Fayth this way because ... to make sure they don't find out easily, but Yuna's awake now.

Ling opened her mouth, but then quickly stopped. Something about that sentence felt off. A single set of ellipses appeared over her head. Not literally, of course, but the look on her face made it look as though they were there, disappearing and reappearing after a few moments. The sound of Hajime clearing his throat helped confirm that he hadn't exactly thought before speaking.

"H-hold on ... back up. What do you mean she's awake?"

She wasn't for the past .... month, close to two. The Dark Signers ... they were the reason why Takeshi was abducted from his cell during the Fortune Cup. When they took him ... they brainwashed him. So Yuna ended up fighting him ... in a duel that had the damage real, and .... she nearly died because of the sword Takeshi thrust into her chest, just barely missing her heart and organs.

"S-sword? W-what the hell do you mean? Where did that even come from? I doubt Takeshi had one of his own, so ... "

He didn't, but he was able to manifest things. Very much like how Aki can. So ... he conjured the blade from one of his cards and stabbed Yuna. By the time he snapped out of whatever trance he was in .... Yuna was clinically dead. We managed to get her back quick enough so that Mei got her on life support and kept her alive. She'd been in a coma and just woke up.

"You're telling me ... those crazy bastards are actually that strong? Can give people those kinds of abilities?!"

Sorry, but ... yes.

"Oh my god ..." Ling muttered, shakily covering her face as tears began to fall down her cheeks. She'd felt certain enough during the attack at the theater that she'd been lucky to leave alive that night. Now, however? She didn't think it. No, now she knew that was the case. Ling let out an exhale as she shuddered and trembled before making herself presentable and moving her arms away from her face.

"Okay, well ... you're right. That is good news indeed. Is that it, though?"

I'd love to say it is, but no. So here's the bad ... or at least a warning.

Both would be able to hear Ling internally sigh and groan. She had expected another shoe to drop. Bad news almost always tended to accompany good, after all, and it seemed this wasn't an exception. She merely nodded, signaling she was ready to listen, before Hajime spoke up.

Judai left with the twins to the Spirit World.

" .... Twins?"

Yeah, the preteens from the Fortune Cup. Rua and Ruka.

"W-wait a minute, why'd he go with only those two?"

Partly because he can enter there himself since that's where he's from. But also ... because the Spirit World is in a very horrible shape right now. So bad her Ancient Fairy Dragon is imprisoned. So they're going to see about fixing it.

" ... Shouldn't he have taken at least one other person along?"

Welcome to what we all suggested, but he insisted it should be fine with just the three of them.

A frown mingled in with a grimace as Ling looked back up at Yamichi. She didn't dare say the words out loud ... but he could see what was going through her head. If he'd needed a sign on why he should leave today instead of tomorrow, this was probably it.

Last edited:

If Ling was surprised, then Yamichi was even more so. He hadn't been expecting it all! So much so that his udon bowl nearly got knocked up from the sudden surprise mental voice, not to mention his leg twinged from the sudden and unwelcome exertion as he tried to - and thankfully succeeded in - not let his meal splatter itself all over the outdoor seat to his left. A hand on his chest as he tried to catch his breath. "Seriously man!? She's right at least give a little something of a heads-up!" the tech quipped alongside his girlfriend.

Even if it was to let them know something...Well, he could have at least tried to not give them both such a shock. But then how do you really announce yourself when you speak through minds? Probably impossible....But even so, if he was reaching out to him and her like this now, then it had to be urgent. He knew Hajime and his habits; the man wouldn't do this unless it was quite critical for any reason.

But the next words into Yamichi's made him freeze up; he had been a bit pissed at himself for not trying to get Takeshi out. He knew about the breakout though, from when Goodwin tried to recruit him to his 'team'. Smug asshole. But then he heard something that made his heart sink. Yuna...was awake? WHat happened to her? "Seriously man, we need some context here...The hell happened while I was out?" he then asked, soon Hajime going on to answer that question.

"What? No....No, Takeshi would never. Not to Yuna...Not to anyone from Yomi!" he said, his eyes threatening to water as Hajime went on to detail what transpired. It wasn't so much the power-gifting that got him...It was that they managed to make Takeshi do it. He had a willpower similar to Hotsuma's own: Nearly unbreakable. Granted, Yamichi didn't know the full extent of what happened in that regard either.

But as good as it was that seemed to be the best of it: And he knew this was where the bad news came in. "Wait...You're telling me he took *KIDS* there?! They're freaking kids, Hajime! They shouldn't be fighting a war! Where was Hotsuma during all this?! No way he would have let this slide!" He knew his leader...Or at least he thought he did.

And just as Ling had the 'thought bubble' metaphorically occur over her head, so too did Hajime.

"Yamichi...Look, there's no easy way to say this...Hotsuma's gone."

THAT made the tech pause before he could begin his tirade again. The tech was stunned...Mortified, even. Ling would say that on his face. "Hajime...What do you mean he's gone?!" the tech mentally shouted. Even here, both Ling and Yamichi could feel Hajime recoil a bit from the force of his voice.

"He left...After Yuna came back to us unconscious, Takeshi - freed through both the efforts of Yuna and Hotsuma - told us what happened. He took off, presumably to hunt down the Dark Signers. And....We haven't seen him since. I know this isn't what you want to hear...But you need to. We don't know where he is...For all we know, he might have suffered the same fate that bastard Kiryu tried to give to Yuna."

A long pause followed, Yamichi just falling back into his seat, his eyes wide as he seemed to just...Gaze. Right into nothing. "There....There's no way...He wouldn't leave Yomi vulnerable. He wouldn't leave Yuna vulnerable...Anyone there...He viewed them as family...."

"If he did, that part checked out a while ago, Yamichi. Ever since we took Yomi...Look, I know your history with him....And I can't even imagine what this news is making rush through that oversized brain of yours. But he's changed, Yamichi...And not in a good way."

Yamichi meanwhile, just shook his head in disbelief, hands clutching the sides as he started to cry, "No...No no no no no....Hotsuma wouldn't do this....He's not the type to abandon people...He never would leave anyone behind....Not willingly....And even then they'd have to fight....There has to be another reason...Something else..."

From the other side, Hajime was grimacing and frowning. With everything that had happened, he forgot that - unfortunately - some people hadn't been around when certain events had occurred. As it turned out, both Ling and Yamichi weren't there when Yuna was forced to duel against Takeshi. What had they been dealing with? He tried to recall ... but ultimately, it wouldn't matter. Now they were finding out ... even if in a less than preferred way.

He did feel guilty about dumping all of this on them both, particularly Yamichi. But ... it was better than finding out - gods forbid - from a prick like Kiryu or any of those fuckers.

His head turned as he glanced over at Yuna, who was asleep once again. The x-rays had been done and come back relatively normal. Compared to what everyone had expected, nothing was damaged too badly and anything that had been hit was mostly healed by now. It truly was a miracle in its rights .... he'd need to thank Fayth properly. Face to face ... when the time was right, of course.

I'm sorry, Yamichi. I may have had my issues with Hotsuma at times. But you know damn well I wouldn't lie, least of all to you. You're his second-in-command, after all. What good would it do me to lie about something so dire?

Ling gently took a hold of Yamichi's hands and rolled her fingers over his palm. "I'm sorry," she muttered softly, "I ... definitely don't know your comrades as well as you do. But from the times I have spoken to them? I do think he's being sincere also. Lying just doesn't seem like it's something he would resort to, not even with small white ones."

She gripped briefly onto her lower lip, nodded as an idea came to her, then looked back up into Yamichi's eyes.

"I think ... this should be our cue to head back. Would anyone be able to pick us up?"

There was a brief pause ... but it didn't last longer than a minute before Hajime replied quickly.

Yes. I could see about Shivini or even Takeshi coming over. I'm making sure none of those bastards try to come over into our base. And yes, they would ... doubly so if they knew she was alive and out of her coma. That's why I'm contacting you this way. At least if they tried to invade my mind, I could feel it and disconnect the link between us all. Right now though, particularly with Hotsuma still gone ... me and Yuna briefly discussed before she fell back asleep that maybe ...

Another pause ... before he would finish his thoughts.

We may need to consider relocating. Trust me, I know how crazy that already sounds. The entire point of taking over the Facility was to give us a damn good stronghold and all. But now ... it's actually pretty vulnerable, and the demons .... are questionable at best with their loyalty. They've been fine for now, but I definitely don't fully trust them. At any rate, hopefully that can wait until Yamichi and Judai return, but if we absolutely need to make that happen sooner, we will. But only if it's too desperate of a situation. Regardless, it's a card on the proverbial table. So ... I need a final answer, and I want to hear it from Yamichi. Are you gonna head back and should I see about having someone send the boat to come get you?

With that, both Ling and Hajime went quiet, wanting to hear Yamichi's response. Both had seemed approving of the thought that he should go back ... but neither would push for it. The end verdict would truly be his and his alone.

Last edited:

*Sniff sniff*

Yamichi knew Hajime wouldn't tell him such news without being absolutely sure of where he stood. Even if the information might be lacking, he seemed to always know when and how to share it. Even so...The fact that all that happened because of the Dark Signers, especially Yuna having been comatose and Hotsuma being gone as a result.

Thankfully, Ling was here to make sure that he wasn't alone, physically at least. He felt her hands on his, her grip gentle and reassuring, looking up as she might try and console him in a moment of distress. "I...I know....It just...just was a lot to take in all at once..." Yamichi replied. "Trust me, I know....But better from a friend, right?" he would hear Hajime say to him, Yamichi giving a nod. Indeed it was...And now he had a decision to make.

And...Much as it might have sucked to have to put their date on hold yet again..Well, even he could see Ling would be alright with that.

"You say that like you even have to ask...Though next time I'm making you pay for our lunch for interrupting." the tech said, brushing away the last of his tears. "Sorry again Ling...But hopefully one day we'll get some alone time for a change. Hajime, send the boat over. I'm coming home."

Hajime could only give a chuckle, "Alright...You two know where to go....I'll have someone over as soon as I can." Giving a nod, Yamich then said, "We'll take our Runners...Hopefully your parents won't be too upset with me."

*====================================================================================================================*

As the pair might reach the abandoned dock, they would find a familiar looking boat awaiting them. And a familiar face.

"Hey nerd." said the voice of Takeshi; it had been a day or so since Yuna reawakened, and he still looked like shit. Yamichi, with some help from Ling, managed to hobble down the broken pathway and hug someone he could call a brother. "Takeshi...Man it's good to see you...You look like hell though." Takeshi just smirked, "Well, you're no spring chicken either..." before motioning to his leg.

Something that made Yamichi laugh, "Well...I was looking a lot worse before hand." At this Takeshi grimaced, still remembering the phone call when he learned about Yamichi through her. "Ling...Been a while. Hey...Thanks for taking care of him. And Hajime says he's sorry for spoiling your date....Seems like you two just can't catch a break."

When Yamichi went back to retrieve the Runners, he would find that Ling's parents weren't upset. If anything, they were far from it. Between both of Ling's parents witnessing his loyalty and devotion to their daughter, as well as him staying for the past while and not trying anything too 'bold' in front of them, their trust had drastically improved compared to when they first met him. Even knowing he was from The Satellite never seemed to bother either of them. They gave Ling their blessings to accompany him to the pier, but were adamant on expecting her to return home.

That wasn't overly amazing. In actuality, it was what Ling had expected. Besides, she still had her school and as much as she loved Yamichi, she didn't give up her academic life. If anything, she had taught Yamichi some of the things she was in the midst of learning while he'd remained with her family.

As they waited for the boat to arrive, Ling kept holding onto Yamichi's hand, lightly rolling her fingers over the palms. "Please ... be safe, okay? Especially if you guys do end up going elsewhere like Hajime hinted."

Where even could they go? It was an odd thought to ponder. The Facility had been borderline impenetrable as a prison. She couldn't imagine it'd been weakened when they moved in, so would there really not be ample enough defenses? A slight grimace appeared on her face. If Hajime was bringing this up as a possibility, there was likely a reason why. Something he - and even Yuna - had noted for why this was something they needed to consider.

A soft sigh resounded as the boat pulled up. Knowing she would have to let go soon, Ling gently turned Yamichi's face towards her ... and gave him a soft, passionate kiss on the lips. A small bit of blush adorned her face, but definitely not enough to care or try making an excuse for Takeshi.

"It's been a while. Good to see you again."

She'd briefly considered adding the word 'free' or even 'well', but decided to just keep it simple. He already seemed to still be beating himself up over the past according to what she recently heard, so keeping things vague was for the best. "Oh, it was no problem. Umm ... I already told him this, but please be careful, no matter what ends up happening."

Kiryu had hinted back when he attacked the theater something huge was going to begin. All the pieces falling into place were indicating that time was sooner as opposed to later ... and it made Ling gulp nervously. "I .... hope to see you later. When things are safer and such."

Only after the boat was out of sight did Ling allow her head to bow. Her arms wrapped around her stomach ... and suddenly, she felt like she'd just made the wrong move. Like she should have gone with him instead of staying back.

Unfortunately, the boat was already gone and while she was a decent swimmer ... no way was she going to chase after him like that. With a heavy heart and mind, Ling forced herself to turn around and reluctantly head home, just as she'd promised her parents.

Meanwhile, in the Spirit World, Rua, Judai, and Torunka had finally found their destination. Judai was staying concealed behind some trees ... mainly to study the surroundings. He noticed almost immediately the number of red flags all around, from the lack of guards to the aura surrounding Regulus. Well ... he was indeed still under whatever spell had been placed, it seemed. That alone made Judai grimace. As powerful as he was while merged with Yubel ... was there anything he could do to help out?

If the boy truly isn't a Signer, then we have no choice but to try.

"Yeah, yeah," he muttered softly under his breath, nodding slowly to himself. Time was of the essence, and given the monkey guards showed earlier they could sense his own aura ... there was no point in staying hidden much longer. Besides, it'd be better to be found by Regulus first. This way, he could work on trying to figure out a way to free the lion.

"Alright .... on my count, Rua."

He held up three fingers ... and when they all lowered ... Judai stepped out from his hiding spot. "Regulus?" he hesitantly asked ... just in case he'd sensed the lion's state incorrectly. But since he wasn't relying on that ... he got his arm ready to activate his deck should it come down to having to duel him in order to help wake Regulus up.

"How much further...." Rua said, Torunka bopping him gently on the head and saying "I'm not that heavy!" Rua just winced and replied, "It's not that...But we're relying on you to guide us remember?" At this Torunka paused, saying "Sorry....Being in this child form without powers and all the drawbacks of my age....Well, it's difficult." Rua nodded, "I understand; sometimes I feel like I can't even protect my sister, even though I'm her older brother...But that's gonna change today."

At this Torunka had them pause; Regulus seemed...hurt. Wounds covered his body, some open, some shallow and healing...It was like he had been fighting for days, weeks, maybe even months. The air was heavy, and if they looked around them, they would see several monkey troops like they'd found back in the village. Most seemed just unconscious, but a few had been viciously torn apart.

"We need to approach this carefully...No doubt he'll be wary of us if he's that beat up..." Torunka said, but after a careful consideration, it was come to a vote - unanimously - that they should show themselves to the lion. Anything else would just raise his defenses more.

The lion snarled as Judai spoke his name, managing to shakily stand up as he saw the tree before him. "Torunka....Who are these intruders?!" he snarled angrily, seeming to know the spirit.

"Relax, Regulus, they are friends." the spirit tried to say.

"OF COURSE I'M GOING TO FIGHT! WHY DID YOU LEAD THE ENEMY RIGHT TO ME!?" then shouted Regulus, his claws extending as his body tensed.

"What? No, no! I said relax, they're friends!" then came the panicked reply of Torunka. At this Regulus leapt right at Rua, making the boy fall on his ass as Torunka might tumble too....But a burst of energy from Torunka's palm managed to repel the beast....At least so much as to not have the boy be ripped apart. Even injured this lion was fast.

"Regulus! Stop! We're not with Zeman! We're your friends!" Torunka shouted, Regulus roaring "Zeman turned you to his side, did he?! Then my enemies you shall be! I'll not stop until every last one of his foul minions is purged from this Forest!"

Torunka seemed shocked; what the hell was going on?! "Torunka...It's like he's not hearing you...Is this the curse you talked about" Rua then asked, managing to stand up and help the mage to his feet. "I...I don't know....I knew he was hurt, but now I worry Zeman somehow corrupted him even more than I realized...And if that's the case then the Forest will fall, along with this entire plane of existence."

The atmosphere lingering in the air was not the only thing Judai was quick to take note of when they came face-to-face with Regulus. His words were immediately coming off as very bright, red flags. So were his actions ... evidenced when he tried to attack at Rua. Judai jumped backwards, making sure to get enough distance from the lion. He knew from experience that adrenaline by itself could be a powerful tool. Now that it was blatantly obvious that there was something else to look out for, however, it made Judai that much more cautious of Regulus.

"I don't know if he's necessarily corrupted," Judai mused after taking several moments to study Regulus long and hard. "I mean, he still has his priorities and sounds like he's very much against Zeman. It seems to be more akin to what Rua is noticing; he's not hearing you at all. In fact, he seems to be translating everything you're saying as if it were the opposite."

So thus came the golden question of why? What was making him react this way?

On the surface, there didn't really appear to be much to give any answers away. The best they had from a simple glance was knowing the words and reactions didn't match.

You have the right idea, boy. I can see the cause. Barely, mind you ... it's pretty well placed.

"It?" Judai muttered curiously. Well ... that was good in a way. If Yubel had referred to this thing as an 'it', as well as something even she could notice, then it at least wasn't a curse. That would be something she'd be able to sense. So this was an item they needed to find. Judai started to take a cautious step forward, but stopped as he was met with a growl.

"Well ... if Yubel is certain enough it's an item ... we at least don't have to worry about a counter curse."

His head moved from side to side as Judai began looking for this mysterious item. Finally, the faintest hint of a glimmer caught his eyes. He gave a nod, and would direct Rua and Torunka towards what he felt was the source of their problems; a needle embedded in Regulus's mane.

"So now," he muttered, purposely lowering his voice so only the people he wanted to hear his words would be able to, "We need to figure out how to remove it. I'm not exactly a circus worker or anything .... but I'm sure we could figure out a smart way to distract him."

Naturally, Yubel had insisted he change to her form. There were a couple huge problems with this suggestion, one of the first he mentally quipped back with was it would just summon more of Zeman's guards over and cause even more issues. The next being he still wasn't fond of the idea of being captured and experimented on.

Hmph. Well then, best hurry up. He's not going to just stand there and let you all plot away.

Judai fought off the urge to retort to Yubel's thoughts, instead attempting to focus on anything Rua and Torunka may be able to help come up with as far as ideas went.

"Are you saying..." Torunka said, Rua noddng, "Judai is right; it's like your words are being twisted. And if that's the case, it might be less of a challenge to get him right in the head again." Torunka squinted and breathed heavily, falling to a knee. "Torunka?! Are you alright?" Rua said, getting down to a knee. "I...I'm fine...That last bit of magic....just about drained me though....I was...surprised I was even able to get that one off."

"You were fortunate, Torunka; it seems Zeman granted you power and youth! Is that the price for your betrayal!?" Regulus shouted angrily; and it was here Rua got an idea. "That's right! Zeman gave him everything he could ever want! We're trying to destroy you!"

Though what Regulus heard was, "You're wrong! Zeman took everything from him! We're trying to save you!"

Torunka was flabbergasted, waving his hands wildly, "S-Stop, what are you thinking?! Are you trying to get him mad?!" But then Regulus just snarled in response, "Your honeyed words won't sway me boy! You're just trying to get me to lower my guard!" This definitely confirmed what Judai and Rua were thinking.

"H-Huh?" Torunka might say, Rua stating "It's like Judai said: He's hearing the opposite. Whatever's affecting him is making him understand our words as the reverse of what we say." Rua had an idea...And once Judai gave them the plan, Rua said, "You're a lot bigger and faster than me....I'll be bait." And before Judai might object, Rua was already running to the opposite side, making Regulus track him with his eyes. And once Regulus was turned, Judai would indeed see the Needle: It was sticking from his mane, the broken handle facing backwards and out to the side. If he could just get close enough...He might be able to remove it.

"We're going to save you, Regulus!" Rua shouted, making Regulus tense. "The fact that Zeman would corrupt a mere child....ZEMAN! YOUR ACTS ARE UNFORGIVABLE!" Rua was definitely shaking....But he was still managing to stay strong, shaking his head as he shouted, "That's wrong! Focus on me! This Forest will be saved!"

"Right you are! Don't focus on me! We will destroy this Forest and everything in it!"

"Forgive me, boy...But I cannot allow Ancient Fairy Dragon's home to be corrupted any further!" Regulus shouted, starting to slowly move towards Rua, the young boy holding his ground....His heart going at a million miles an hour.

Last edited:

Judai nodded and grinned proudly as Rua took his advice and spoke in the 'right' way to Regulus. And sure enough, the response helped confirm to all of them that the needle was making Regulus hear things in the very opposite way. Good. That was one problem solved, so now came the next hardest part. Getting to him. "Oi, are you serious? Rua, wanting to help your sister is all well and good, but -- "

"But there's so many more smarter ways to go about doing that."

That's how he would have finished the sentence. Alas, Rua already made his move, causing Judai to click his tongue in mild annoyance. But ... the opportunity was indeed right there. No sense in making it go to waste. Especially with not just Ancient Fairy Dragon at risk, but this entire forest and - if it got bad enough - the entire Spirit World. There was far too much at stake, and Judai had promised to help any of the Signers or, in the case of Yuna, allies affiliated with them.

So .... this was what had to be done, for better or worse.

As Regulus got ready to make his own move, Judai very, very slowly crept behind the lion. His own heart was pounding a bit. Despite having lived here for a good number of years and even facing the likes of Brron ... this was a different type of encounter in its own rights. It held its own type of danger; one that was as dangerous as being against the Mad King, and yet different.

When he got close enough .... Judai jumped! And in the midst of doing so, reached out for the needle, grabbing tightly onto it and yanking it out, then proceeding to toss it away. Out of sight, out of mind.

Now ... to be damn sure if that was indeed the cause. Because ... if not ... he was ready to move and help Rua. Or, if push really came to shove, change back to Yubel. But that was a very last resort plan.

"Regulus, hold up! Stop!"

With the needle now out ... hopefully he'd hear what Judai was actually saying. "We're here to help. Ruka told us about Ancient Fairy Dragon."

Please let this work, he internally added, getting slowly back up to his feet ... just in case this didn't work for some reason. Best to be prepared now than when it was too late, after all.

"Are these two crazy?!" Torunka whispered; he was still too weak to move, so with that he had to sit on the sidelines...And pray this worked. Otherwise Rua and Judai might end up joining Zeman's hunters on the ground..

Rua saw Judai move in, holding his ground....His knees shaking visibly all the while. Giving a slight smile, he just said nothing as Regulus got closer and closer...He was acting brave but damn if he wasn't scared out of his mind! Even so...This was for his sister, the Signers...Everyone! If he had to pick a moment to put his boisterous attitude to use, this was it!

And when Judai managed to get a leap? Regulus recoiled, barely missing Judai with a swipe of his claws as the boy might yank that problematic Needle from his mane. The lion gave a loud roar as the needle was forcibly removed, taking a small chunk of the majestic neck-hair with it. "YOU LITTLE...." Regulus bellowed, but then stopped, his expression going from primal anger to a more relaxed posture, his eyes - once dulled with the fatigue of rage and survival instinct - seemed to brighten back up, before closing as he might shake his head.

"Ruka....Told you about Ancient Fairy Dragon? Is she alright?"

That alone made Rua collapse, his body still trembling at the thought that he might just end up ripped to shreds! "Judai....Judai, you did it" Rua said happily, trying to get his shaking under control. The adrenaline was still pumping through him something fierce.

"Regulus....You're back to normal...." Torunka chimed in, struggling as he might stand up, his body still drained. "I am...Thanks to you all. But....Where is Ruka? Ancient Fairy Dragon...She's in danger!"

Judai's shoulders immediately slumped, relief instantaneously washing over him as he heard Regulus was indeed back to normal. A long sigh of relief that he'd been subconsciously holding back passed his lips ... and for at least one to two good minutes, he just allowed himself to stay on his back, having tumbled a few times after making his literal leap of faith. He managed to give Rua a small smile and nod. "Yeah, we did do it. But don't do anything that reckless again. Crow would have had my head if that had gone horribly wrong, you know. I, for one, happen to like it attached to my shoulders, thanks."

His words shifted to Regulus as Judai slowly stood up. "She's ... safe. But before we came in here, we got ambushed. These people ... they really drained her. To the point she couldn't come along with us. But I made certain that she was able to leave and get to safety."

After allowing his body to relax and calm down now that Regulus was fine, Judai slowly got back up to his feet. He helped both Rua and Torunka up, following Regulus as he led them away once he, too, recovered. They may not be out of the proverbial or actual woods just yet, but what was easily one of the tougher obstacles had been cleared. Now they needed to save the Dragon ... and even without Ruka, Judai at least felt confident enough that something else could be figured out. Another way could be worked out to help save Ancient Fairy Dragon, particularly now that they had Regulus on their side as opposed to against them.

Ruka, meanwhile, had managed to run back to Crow's hideout. At first, Crow had been a bit miffed that she had seemed excluded from joining Judai and her own brother in going to the Spirit World. However, when she relayed what happened with Professor Frank and that strange acolyte, as well as them knowing about Yubel, Crow found himself relieved that Ruka had managed to get back safely.

Now Crow was, if anything, anxious. It'd been a few days since they left, and there had yet to be so much as a peep from either Judai or Rua.

Crow turned and glanced over at the still sleeping Ruka, his eyes softening. He knew this had been draining, especially on an emotional level, for her. It was precisely for that reason that he had tried encouraging her to play with the other kids every now and again. She took the offer up at times. Others, like now, she opted to lie down and rest.

Until fate decided otherwise. Crow's eyebrows rose as her arm glowed, causing Ruka to grimace and wake up with a start and widened eyes.

"Ruka? You okay?"

"No! Something's coming!"

Crow grimaced at the thought. He hadn't forgotten that all of them were on a limited timer. He just hadn't wanted to consider that the last grain of sand had finally left the top half of the hourglass. He gave a stoic nod, slowly standing up and sliding his duel disk onto his arm. "Get ... ngh!" Just in case he thought his eyes deceived him, his own mark started to burn slightly.

"Get somewhere safe. Under a table, desk, something. I'll see who it is."

But as he left and looked from side to side, all he saw were the other children who had opted to go outside to play. His eyebrows rose as he looked once more, clearly confused. He hadn't imagined things ... and he had zero reasons to believe Ruka had lied to him. So what was going on?

"Crow onii-san?" one of the kids asked, lightly tugging on his sleeve. A quick look down revealed that, specifically, it was Rally. "What's that?"

"What's what?"

His head lifted as he found Rally staring up towards the sky. There was indeed a small 'something'. But as it got closer and closer, it let out a whistling sound. And as it dawned on Crow what the object was, his eyes widened in horror. "INSIDE! EVERYONE STOP PLAYING! GET INSIDE, NOW! THIS IS NOT A DRILL!"

He gave Rally a shove towards the door and began scrambling to help the others. Unfortunately, his shouts caused confusion, which led to some of them running away from each other. He managed to wrap his arms tightly around two and duck behind a warehouse before ....

BOOM!

It wasn't just either. It was several, all consecutively falling. He stared, unable to help but believe what he was witnessing. Someone was actually bombing the area. He shook as rage swelled inside him. He'd heard, courtesy of people like Fayth and Yusei, that Kiryu, as of his own metamorphosis, would dare go to these lengths. But were all of these Dark Signers that desperate to get to him and the others?

They'll all going to fucking pay! I'll make damn sure of it!

Were he not protecting two smaller children now, he would otherwise have zero qualms voicing his thoughts out loud. Thankfully, the explosions did pause ... long enough for him to lift them up while guiding others into the house.

"I'm scared nii-san!" one cried out.

"I know, I know! I am too! Hide with Ruka and the others, okay? I need to get the others!"

And with that, he turned back ... and found the next person to give his attention to. A small girl whom, thankfully, hadn't been hit directly by a bomb. She had, however, gotten some nasty bits of debris in the form of glass from a nearby window that was caught in one of the blasts embedded in her leg. There weren't many other kids still outside, which was another blessing in its own rights.

"Watch out!" the girl whimpered, causing Crow to hiss angrily as he barely got behind the same building in time. While still keeping the girl held in his arms ... he bit onto his lower lip and clapped his hands over her ears, sacrificing his own for her hearing. The bombs definitely made his ring ... repeatedly and very loudly. But that was fine. More than that, in fact. It'd make up for him failing to save her in the first place.

"ENOUGH!" he finally called out, hoping that whoever was causing the bombs to fall would hear him. "LET ME GET THEM TO SAFETY! THEN YOU CAN COME GET ME. BUT ENOUGH OF THE COWARDLY ATTACKS!"

As Judai might explain to Regulus about Ruka's state of mind and being, Rua had gone over to check on Torunka. "You two are insane, you realize that don't you?" the young-looking mage said, Rua just scratching the back of his head "Well...The world's at stake right? Besides, this is the only time, I promise! I don't want Judai to get yelled at by Crow, so I'll be more careful!"

But getting more serious, the young man then asked"So....What is the plan now?". Torunka tapped his chin, saying "Well...We just need to find where the Palace is. Then we can figure out a plan of attack to get Ancient Fairy Dragon free from Zeman's control. The fact that a Signer isn't here to help does complicate things a good deal...But I'm sure we can find a way to break the seal."

Regulus then came over once he was done taking to Judai, "I overheard....And I know where Zeman is hiding. He's been using land magic to move the temple around so that I couldn't find it...But it's stopped recently. I'm thinking the time of the ritual is near, so he must need to focus on sealing her entirely for it to work." Torunka cocked his head, "Ritual? For what?" Regulus just shook his head, "I do not know; those hunters said something about a 'Minus Curse'...And that he planned to use it on Ancient Fairy Dragon to surrender this realm to the Gods. If they get her power...."

At this Rua patted Regulus on the shoulder, "If we work together, they won't get it...On that much I swear." Regulus seemed a tad stunned, but then just laughed, "You have spirit, child...Are you sure you're not a Signer yourself?" Rua just grinned stupidly, "I wish. That way my sis didn't have to burden herself so much alone..."

Torunka then asked, "Well, we should be moving then...Which way, Regul..." At this Torunka faltered, Rua managing to catch him. "Uhm, Regulus...." Rua asked, the lion giving a nod and lowering himself, "Put him on me...I've sustained worse injuries and kept moving just fine. It's the least I can do for him helping you all." Of course, the lion had sense Yubel's presence at this range...But the fact she was behaving him told him this lad wasn't a troublemaker, and the fact that he lended his aid when Yubel could have easily just demolished him was proof of his integrity.

And once that was done, the group moved onward. Their work not yet done.

It likely wasn't easy for Ruka to sit this one out...But in truth there was nothing that could be done. And with the events of late starting to pile on, it was probably for the best she was here somewhere safe.

Though that would come as another shock; a series of violent explosions soon rocking the area. Flashes of light, heat and sound bombarding and annhilating the nearby structures. Rock, concrete, and glass thrown every which way. Thankfully for Crow, his quick thinking ensured that the children would only sustain minor injury, getting them inside somewhere with cover. A move of questionable soundness, considering that meant a particularly high-yield explosive could just as easily destroy it and kill them all.

But...Thankfully whoever was responsible did not seem to be that black-hearted...Yet.

And as Crow would try to confront the attacker, the sounds of crying children in the background as Ruka and Rally might start tending to the injured, a loud motor sound was drawing closer...And for Crow, it would seem a very familiar figure might ride up.

"So....It is you. You are a friend of Yusei's, are you not?"

Bommer, the Dark Machine Duelist. The same one whose anger and wicked spikes nearly turned Ling into roadkill in the Fortune Cup Turbo Duel segment. Except...Something would seem different about him. "Seems I have your attention; the Gods have told me I would be fighting someone strong today. I do hope I didn't hit any of the young ones..." And as he said this, a sleek and VERY large monster appeared behind him.

"I would think that as someone who values children, you would do better than to crowd them in one place..." he would say, giving a snap of his fingers; at that moment, its many turrets seemed to clank and whir, soon all barrels pointed at the house. But as soon as it did, Bommer just smiled, "Lucky for them and you....They are not my target. You are, Crow Hogan of the Satellite."

At this, Bommer then said, "If you wish to truly protect them, come with me....We shall duel where no one else can get caught in the crossfire."

Crow's ears continued to ache and throb. The sensation of something dripping down his face made him grimace. He would have guessed it to be sweat, but no. This felt ... warmer. And sure enough, the poor girl - if she hadn't already been scared enough - cried out and confirmed his thoughts.

"Onii-san! You're bleeding!"

"I'll live," Crow replied, managing to flash the girl a small smile. "Besides, I heard your words, so the explosions didn't completely ruin my eardrums. Bonus points, right?"

It was a horrible jest, but more than that, it was an attempt to give the poor lass some hope despite being in some incredibly dark moments. As fortune had it, however, things were beginning to turn around. The bombs seemed to stop as something else - much larger - lowered itself down towards the ground. A monster and then .... wait. Why was that a familiar face?

Crow slowly moved towards the house, helping get the rest of the children inside. Right before he shut the door, he heard Ruka ask what to do. "Make sure they all stay safe. There's a first aid kit in the bathroom. Use it to help anyone else who is injured. But stay inside!"

And with that, he closed the door, eyes narrowing angrily as he finally recognized who he was staring at. "Bommer?! The hell is wrong with you?! Going after children just to get to me?! You bastard!"

So .... even people like him were being turned and used against them all, huh? It was going to be that merciless, that brutal? So be it. If these were the kinds of wars he would have to expect, Crow was ready.

Or .... so he thought. His rapidly pounding heart tried to insist otherwise. And were it not for the sight of all of the guns pointing right at the house, he may have actually heeded his flight instinct instead of fight. But as things were, he shot Bommer a furious glare and followed him, walking away from the house and moving to an empty roadway. One void of cars or any vehicles, really.

"If I'm truly your target ... then leave them be, regardless of how this duel goes."

Hearing him admit such a thing caused a shiver to trail down his spine. Crow was, even without saying the words aloud, confessing that the possibility of death was very real. So unless he could be proven wrong and offered some type of miracle, that was the mindset racing through his head. It made a few tremors begin to travel through his body, particularly his hands.

But now ... it was far too late. He wouldn't turn back. Not now that the kids were in any possibility of being hurt or, gods forbid, worse.

"Don't worry. You have my full attention. Duel! I'll go first!"

Well, shit ...

It was definitely not his best hand. Not by a long shot. Still, it did offer some cards he could work with so ... it wasn't the worst starting hand, either. "I'll set three cards. I then summon Blackwing - Pinkai the Waxing Moon. And with that, I end for now."

Standard rules, after all. Going first meant he couldn't attack. So ... the best he could do was wait and see what type of deck he was up against.

"Make no mistake, Crow. You are my target...But a battle often has casualties. Something I learned in heart just recently...." he would in reply, his face turning to one of pensiveness before reverting back into a cold unamused glare. "Their lives for yours....Will you answer the call? Or sacrifice that which you hold most dear?"

He had a good feeling this one would not let children come to harm...And it seemed he was right. As Crow demanded him to leave the children alone, a ghost of a smirk crossed his face. "Of course.....On that you have my word." he would say, giving his hand a wave; his Airraider turned its guns away from the house, seeming to disengage before disappearing. And once he was sure, they were alone, he would step off his own Runner.

This would be a sign that neither would run. Both would hold their ground here, and fight for the future....Once Crow got to the area of their battle, however, one thing that might stand out was a massive tower....Something that had not been in the area recently. It seemed...Ancient. Even older than the oldest buildings in the Satellite.

Once they begun, Bommer held up his right arm, a noticeable tattoo would shine a bright shade of purple, seeming to glow with an antithetical energy to that of Crow's own Mark of the Dragon. "This Duel shall commence the ceremony! Let us not bore the Gods, Crow Hogan of the Satellite!" he would say; soon a series of violet lines erupted all around them, and though Crow would not be able to see much from this point, a similar geoglyph-like energy field in the shape of Bommer's mark sprang up around them.

The appearance of the strange avian creature made Bommer raise a brow; so this was his deck. Black Feathers...Interesting. Which would win? His machines that blacked out the sun with ash, or his protectors that darkened the heavens with their wings?

"My turn! I draw!"

The card he drew made his face impassive; if there ever was a poker face, he seemed to have it. "I will set a card and a monster face-down. Then I activate my Field Magic, Heavy Metal Raiders!" And once he slid his field card into the appropriate slot, the violet energy seemed to intensify, Bommer's mark also getting stronger.

"Good...Now....When the time comes...Unleash me. Then you will achieve victory most certain...Crush this boy! Destroy him!"

The God - Chacu Challhua - screamed in his mind, the waves of energy intensifying. "Heh.....It seems my God wishes to come out....But sadly I do not have enough to appease his hunger yet. So for now, my turn ends." he would say.

"Tell me something, Crow...How does it feel to work for a man who would betray you to save his own pathetic hide?"

The first thing Crow would notice was the Airraider pointing its guns away from his house, then going away altogether. Good. At least if things went too far south for him ... he could die with that solace. It wasn't his preference, of course. Doubly so with poor Ruka still waiting for her brother and already quite the wreck as it is. But if he really had to perish sooner than later ... at least he could do so knowing he'd kept innocents out of losing their lives in a senseless and violent manner.

The next thing he observed was Bommer's own mark appearing, causing his to burn a bit more and Crow to simultaneously grimace.

Sorry, Ruka. Hopefully it's not being as annoying for you.

If only because he was the one dueling, he was attempting to convince himself she was mostly spared from any shared connections. He nodded, taking a shaky breath as he reassured himself Ruka was fine. The pain sucked, no doubt, but this was just another thing he could live with. Last, but certainly not least, the purple lines surrounding him and Bommer made Crow quickly look around.

His eyebrows narrowed .... but he didn't make an effort to reach out and touch them. He wasn't that foolish or curious. Just the simple fact they matched the color of his own mark implied this area was nothing good, and that was more than enough to convince Crow not to do anything to it, least of all touch it.

"God, huh?"

It had only been very, very briefly mentioned ... but he was pretty certain Yusei, Fayth, or Jack - maybe all of them - did mention something along those lines with Kiryu. Either way, now he had the briefest of hints on what to look out for, if absolutely else. As he drew the top card off his deck to begin his turn, an eyebrow rose. "Huh? Yusei's no ... "

Hold up ...

He stopped and felt his mind begin to translate the last words Bommer had uttered. Even if he had meant Yusei when they were Team Satisfaction, that wasn't accurate. Kiryu had been the leader. And since Kiryu was on their side, that didn't make sense.

So who the hell is he ... ??

When the answer clicked, Crow shook his head, scoffing.

"You're an idiot if you think any of us are happy about that. Me, Yusei, Jack, Fayth ... literally all of us were somehow coerced into that shit. And then there's the simple concept of us having these marks. If you wanna try to convince me to my face I wanted this and can prove that's true, feel free to. But no. We just ended up being chosen, for better or worse."

"Honestly, I'm still iffy on everything I've heard about some details I've heard regarding the Crimson Dragon. But ... if it does provide even a chance, a sliver of hope to do something good? Then ..."

Crow gave a stern nod.

"I'd rather be aligned with Goodwin than you or any of the Dark Signers, who targets innocent children just to get to their real targets. Draw!"

Hmmm ...

While he was relieved about drawing another monster, he would have preferred getting a non-Tuner. Ah well. Crow could make this work out, somehow. That was one of his specialties. He glanced up from his hand and took a moment to study Bommer's field ... before noticing a very large red flag.

He really had nothing to summon in attack position? So ... is his monster something with a high defense, or ... ??

Well, there was one easy way to find out. "I summon Blackwing - Blizzard The Far North! Blizzard, attack his set down!" The good news revealed that even his Blizzard could beat the set monster. But when it didn't immediately vanish ... Crow looked puzzled. His head turned, as if invisibly guided ... and stared at the field card.

"Shit," he muttered, understanding why the monster was still on the field. "Fine then. Pinkai will attack and get rid of it then!"

Alas, he was refusing to make it that simple, evidenced by the next trap card that was flipped over and insisted his monster stayed on the field. "Fine then. That won't happen forever, after all. I'll find a way to defeat your deck, especially the field card. Turn end!"

"If you truly felt as you say, you would have walked out...You fail to realize his true depravity. The lengths he will go to in order to see that his goals are fulfilled. To say you were coerced is a cop-out." Bommer replied, showing a good hint of irritation. Something which made a grimace cross his face as Crow declared

"Don't you dare minimize his actions in light of my own; you do not understand how depraved Goodwin can be. His jailing of that one Signer woman is the least he has done....But if you insist on defeating me, then attack!"

Something which Crow seemed to do as he Summoned a second monster, this one white in coloration. And when it attacked, Black Bomber's form deflected its attack. "You will have to try harder; the Field Magic effects protects each of my monsters from being destroyed once per turn." And naturally, Crow decided to attack again, this time Bommer declaring, "Reverse Card Open! Fake Explosion Penta!" As Pinaki's form collided with Black Bomber once more, a loud and violent flash of flame erupted between the two monsters; and once it cleared, Black Bomer was still fine.

"Thanks to my Trap Card, my Bomber is not destroyed in this battle."

Of course, its second effect would have been more useful if he had a Summon Reactor in his hand. But, he would make do. And once Crow ended his turn, Bommer then took his. "My turn! I draw!"

Still did not have his God....Very well then. "I switch my Black Salvo to Attack Position and have it attack your Blizzard!" And as his Salvo launched itself towards it, he would hear:

"Reverse Card, Open! Collapse!"

His Bomber fell from 100 ATK to 50 ATK, which made the impending blow that much more, the backblast washing over his body as he raised an arm to protect himself, face contorting into one of pain as the flames washed over him, leaving scorch marks on his cloak and body as the attack ended. "My field protects my monster from being destroyed....And since I took battle damage, its effect activates! Bomber gains ATK equal to the damage I took!" The tiny shark-faced bomb laughed, growing larger as its ATK rose to 1300 as it form grew larger. Effectively sealing one monster from being able to destroy it by battle, and making the use of the other a very high risk play.

"I end my turn....Now, if you have the resolve you say, Signer, show it to me now!"

Crow scoffed and rolled his eyes. He stared to open his mouth but decided against it. There was no point in wasting his time or breath. Or at least ... there hadn't been. When he brought Fayth up, though, he narrowed his eyes. "You're one to talk about her. I may not know nearly as many details about the crap she's endured compared to Yusei or Jack, but I know enough. You think we don't know the shit you Dark Signers have put her through? Don't try to act like you're better than us. If my excuse is a cop out, I'd love to know what your reason for threatening children is. I dare you to give me something that isn't a cop out, or even worse."

Fortunately, his attention had to move away from what potentially could have been a heated argument and back to the duel. The already dire grimace expanded further as he realized just how dangerous the field card was becoming. His mind began to race along with his heart. Surely, he had something in his deck ... didn't he? Some way to get rid of it, or just secure a way to win this duel?

It wasn't likely an easy method. It never was, granted, but now more so than ever? He was beginning to understand just how tough of a trial it was.

As Bommer took his turn, Crow saw an opportunity and took it. "Reverse Card, Open! Shrink!"

Well ... that was good news. He was able to see and test that his thinking in that regard was correct. He wasn't immune to damage, thank goodness for that much. However, he quickly noted just how fast this could get dangerous. What had started as an incredibly weak monster grew within a matter of seconds. 1300 wasn't much .. not at that very second. But now that he was seeing and hearing what could happen ... that made things all the more dire for Crow.

You have to find something. For them, if not even for your sake.

He nodded to himself and drew as Bommer ended his turn. Even with the dangers that came from attacking ... he couldn't just not do anything, either. That, in the long run, would be a fool's errand. "My Blackwing - Blizzard The Far North will attack! And as he does ... Reverse Card, open! Rush Recklessly!"

It wasn't the biggest difference. But it was still something. Each bit of life points he could deplete from Bommer got him steadily closer to victory. But between the way this deck was built, the field still existing, and just his own past experiences ... Crow knew damn well just how dangerous these types of duels could become in the blink of an eye. He'd need to be cautious, more so than even when he was a part of Team Satisfaction.

Crow snuck one last look down at his cards ... and then made his decision on what to do next. "And for now ... I end my turn. If my resolve didn't exist, I would have left by now. You'll get that throughout this duel. That's a damn promise."

"Fayth?" Bommer said, not knowing who that was; naturally, Bommer had not seen the news or heard of Fayth's real name being told about. He was still in prison when the whole deal with Takeshi and Fayth went underway. For all intents and purposes, he was isolated from that incident. "I do not know who it is you speak of, but if she also joins you in working with Goodwin, then she deserves what she gets. The man will lead you all to your deaths...And all for a false promise of salvation."

His hand clenched, "But at least with this, I can get revenge on Goodwin for what he did to my family! My whole village! That bastard will pay! And I will not let you or the other Signers stand in the way of my retribution! My turn! I draw!"

With his first Bomber now at 2000 ATK thanks to Crow, its size massive now thanks to the repeated attacks, Bommer then took aim at Pinaki. "Black Bomber, destroy Pinaki!" he would shout, the now gigantic explosive leaping up and literally crushing Pinaki before detonating, creating a massive firestorm that would engulf Crow in a blaze of searing heat and fire. Only 800 damage, but it was a start....Though for him, it might feel like he had taken three times as much in actual damage.

Such was the power of a Dark Signer with a full bond.

"And I can see it your eyes, Crow Hogan. You do have resolve...But how much, I will attest. My Field Magic effect activates! When I destroy your monster by battle, I can Special Summon one DARK Machine monster from my hand. Come, my second Black Bomber!" A smaller version of the other one currently on his field then appeared as he declared, "And it will attack your Blizzard!" This time, however, Bommer would take more damage, his Life Points falling to 4900, but Black Bomber getting a boost to 1300 ATK. He patted out the flames that nearly engulfed him entirely,

"I then set a card! Turn end!"

.... Oh fuck, that's right. She went by Celeste during the Fortune Cup.

Well ... all more the reason to come out with the win. Granted, Bommer may be one of the few, if not only, Dark Signers to not realize who exactly he was referring to. Even still, on the off-chance that wasn't the case, Crow had to make up for that slip of the tongue moment. But no way in Hell, literal or otherwise, was he going to allow Bommer to leave and relay that information to the others. Not if he could find a way to prevent it.

Hence why winning was the best method ... but if it really came down to it, he'd figure an alternative out somehow.

"I still haven't heard your justification for going after the kids."

If only because they were away from his place, he allowed a confident grin that just barely avoided becoming a full-fledged smirk to appear. "That's because you don't have one. You talk like you have the best reasons to come after this ... to avenge your entire village, you said? I'm sure there were kids there also. And yet ... you just hurt other innocent ones. Maybe not from your home, but does the fact you still resorted to something you're attempting to get back at Goodwin for not mean a damn thing? Are all you Dark Signers that far gone?"

It ultimately didn't matter too much, not now that the duel had started. Also, there was still the mysterious, purple flames surrounding them, and Crow was continuing to avoid touching those.

But he at least wanted a more definite idea on what exactly to expect. This wouldn't likely be the only fight he got into. Alternatively ... he could give Yusei, Jack, and the others a warning. In fact ... yes. That was just another goal, another reason to ensure he got out of this alive and well enough. So he could warn them. He doubted they knew things were officially starting right here and now, so yes. That was the right thing to do.

His thoughts were brutally interrupted, however, as the first bits of his life points depleted. His eyes widened as Crow groaned and grunted, his body staggering a few steps as the pain surged and swept through him. He dug his nails deep into his palms ... but the expression alone hinted he'd definitely felt the pain. He just was refusing to give Bommer any satisfaction of showing how much it'd hurt.

So this is what the others who went through this at the Fortune Cup felt?

Then it was a damned miracle that any of them could continue dueling, let alone walked away in one piece.

"Before your turn ends, I'll ... activate Pinaki's effect from the graveyard. It allows me to add another Blackwing monster to my hand. I chose Elphin The Raven.

Ignoring a steady trail of blood that was falling down his shoulder and cheek, Crow watched the rest of Bommer's turn play out before reaching out - albeit somewhat shakily - and drawing from the top of his deck.

"I'll ... set another card then summon Elphin to the field. Since I have another Blackwing, specifically Blizzard, on the field, I don't need to tribute summon for him like I usually would. I then activate his effect to switch your Black Bomber to defense. I'll use Elphin and Blizzard to Synchro Summon!"

The two birds would fly beside one another, ascending up towards the skies. The familiar vortex that always appeared when one performed a Synchro Summon arrived, and soon engulfed the birds in a bright flash of light. "And the monster I'll choose is ... Black Winged Dragon!"

Soon, the area where the light had been was replaced by the large Synchro Monster, who let out a triumphant roar, seeming as determined as its owner to leave this duel victorious. Crow's eyes, however, were staring at a very specific card. The field, to be precise.

"For now, however, I'm going to end my turn."

Sure, he could attack, but then what? It'd just lead to Bommer's monsters getting stronger in a quicker and probably more brutal way. If he was going to go about winning, he'd need to be cautious and smart about this. Attacking without a plan would be foolish. Hence his choice to wait ... and see about either summoning more monsters. Alternatively, one of the cards he'd set - Black Thunder - could be useful in its own rights.

But timing would be everything. With the way it was used, Black Thunder could help end the entire duel, or get damn close to it. So if possible, Crow would wait before using that.

"In war, there are only casualties. In truth, I could have just as easily annihilated them...My Airraider could have, but as you saw, I chose not to." Bommer replied. "And I spared them...Because I knew you would be the type to lay down your life to ensure their survival. Had I not attacked them, you would have never accepted this Duel. Sometimes making those choices means warring with who you are...Can you honestly say you would have gone with me to this place had I not taken those measures? That you would leave them behind without some damn good reason for doing so?"

Perhaps it was faulty reasoning in Crow's eyes, but based on everything Lord Rutger had told him of the Signers....It seemed the most approrpiate course of action. "I needed to stir in your heart a reason to fight. A true reason, one that would make you come at me without holding back, to deal with a very real threat. And....It is why I chose this area. To ensure no other casualties besides the two of us. This is our fight, not theirs."

"Enough, vessel....Kill this boy! Fulfill your duty as a Dark Signer!"

As Crow might take his turn, Bommer watched on as Black-Winged Dragon came to the field...And yet the boy did not attack? How very foolish. "For all your talk of action, your hesitation will end you. Let me show you what it means to truly go on the offensive! My turn! I draw!"

And as he looked at the card in his hand, a slight smile crossed his face. "I activate the Magic Card, Resurrection of the Dead! And I will take control of the Elphin resting in your Cemetery!" And as this happened, the symbol of the card was replaced by a resurrected Black Feather, its eyes glowing red as it stared at Crow. "And now....Level 3 Black Bomber tunes Level 6 Black Feather Elphin!" As the vortex of light appeared, Crow would notice that this was pitch-dark, the green rings replaced by purple.

"Violent beast of iron and flame! Turn your fury against my enemy! Synchro Summon! Fire your engines, Drag-On Vermillion!"

And with that, Crow was now faced with a dragon like entity of Bommer's own: A steel monster with 2700 ATK. Just shy of his monster's own 2800.

"I activate Vermillion's effect! I exclude the Black Bomber in my Cemetery to destroy one card you control! Load the ammunition!" At this several images of Black Bomber appeared, each going into a port on the sides of his monster. "Take aim!" he would then shout, all five barrels whirring before slamming into place, each pointed squarely at his Dragon. "FIRE!"

*BOOM*
*BOOM*
*BOOM*
*BOOM*
*BOOM*

One by one, the cannon barrels discharged, each round striking Black-Winged Dragon as it might howl in pain, the final blowing a hole through its middle before its image might shatter. Leaving Crow wide open for an attack.

"Yes....DO IT! FINISH HIM! LET HIM DROWN IN DESPAIR!"

"Battle! Black Bomber attacks you directly!" Bommer would say, the 2000 ATK orb launching itself sky high before impacting right in front of Crow, another and more powerful wave of searing heat washing over him. And with no monsters to shield him, this would hurt...But not as much as what would come next, the torrent of flame easily visible from a good distance away.

"Now....Vermillion, Direct Attack! Inferno Volley!"

If Black Bomber's attack was powerful....Then Crow would feel this one. This time its cannons all pointed right at him, and much like before, he would be subjected to a massive and unrelenting assault. A normal person would be turned to paste just from the concussive force alone, their body then crushed by the flying debris that came everywhere. Only once the barrage was finished did Bommer stop.

"Never doubt my intentions, boy. Like I've said before...This Duel is between us. So if you have any will to fight left, then come at me. Turn end."

Last edited:

Crow flashed a glare as he watched his Elphin forced out of the graveyard and placed on Bommer's side. He gave his card a knowing look, as if silently saying he wasn't mad at him for being on the opposite side, but rather, the man who'd used the card. He then felt his heart stop a bit ... before racing rapidly.

Holy hell, a level nine?! Shit ...

Somewhat amazingly, the monster was not stronger than Black Winged Dragon like Crow figured. It was damn close, though; only 100 points shy of beating his dragon. Any relief he felt was incredibly short-lived, however, as Bommer was far from done with his turn. While he did have traps and spells that activated when his monsters were destroyed, the ones on his field only counted if it happened during battle. As it was, he couldn't do anything to stop the incoming barrage, and inevitable destruction that came soon after.

Sorry. I'll find a way to avenge you.

For now though, there was something else that his focus was on, and that came on the direct attacks. Crow closed his eyes, taking a long and very deep breath. But ... no amount of preparation aided him for the exact sensations his body soon felt, as well as the extra blood that was falling due to some of the new and worse injuries.

"AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

By the time it finally did end, Crow collapsed to his knees. Maintaining balance was completely out of the question. And trying to get back up to a vertical base? That was also, evidenced by him trying to push himself back up, only to wince as his arm scraped across the pavement. "Tch ... fine. I guess I'll fight here. I'm still ... not done, after all. D...draw .... "

Crow used his right arm to wipe away droplets of blood that were trying to fall down his face and onto his cards. A few still defiantly fell on their mark, causing Crow to scoff a bit at the sight. Meanwhile, with his focus on taking his turn, he wouldn't notice this ... but Bommer certainly would. The memories of his past ... would play in his mind. And then ... it acted as if it were a television on static. The pictures and images faded, making a loud crackling sound in his head. Every now and again, it'd look ... different?

Like something was out of place.

Crow rose an eyebrow as he lifted his head in time to see Bommer shaking his head. He dismissed the sight and turned his attention back to his cards. Once he ensured they were mostly clean, though, he pulled the top card from his deck ... and let out a weak chuckle. "I also will play my own ... Resurrection Of The Dead. Black Winged Dragon ... return ..."

It took just as much effort. But slowly - and simultaneously very shakily - Crow managed to stand back up. His legs wobbled, threatening to give away if another barrage like last turn happened again. Which would make one think the obvious answer was to attack, even if the damage would be very minimal. But ... between that and knowing it would make his Vermillion's attack more than enough for it to end the duel next turn .... it helped him decide how to go about the rest of his turn.

"I ... I end ... my turn ... "

Admittedly, even he knew this was a bit risky, and perhaps more so foolish. But that field card really had him in quite the bind. His back was almost literally against the wall. In fact, were he not hesitant to touch the purple flames, that'd be exactly how he'd be standing. But as it was, Crow was barely avoiding the barrier, trembling from mostly pain ... but also a small, but still very vital and real, amount of fear.

Bommer watched on as Crow tried to claw back up; his bravery was commendable. The boy would have been well accepted at his village; they valued self-sacrifice to protect above all else. And while Bommer had failed to save them the first time, he would use this boy's demise as penance. With the Whale's Tower activated, they would be one step closer to fulfilling their goal.

And when Crow took the damage? The flames seemed to reach higher, burn more strongly; the area became a violet light show, easily visible from even the Tops. However, any admiration was replaced with confusion as a surge of psionic energy rushed through him, his eyes widening as he was brought back temporarily to that point in time. The same one Demak showed him. It played out the same....But then he saw, something odd. A specter that he hadn't noticed before. There for a brief second, but there nonetheless.

And even the scene where Goodwin had Demak shot and killed...He swore he saw....something. A violet glow in his eye. Just what was going on? His head shook as he closed his eyes, trying to get the images out of his mind; no, he knew what he saw!

"VESSEL! IT IS YOUR MOVE! CRUSH THIS BOY!"

Even as Crow might have ended his turn, he would find Bommer non-responsive. His face one of clear confusion, mouth slightly agape as he tried to fight between what he just saw and what Demak had showed him; just what was going on?

"My turn....I draw..."

He finally said, a bit of hesitance in his voice. With Black-Feather Dragon on the field once more, Vermillion could not attack. And even with the Field's effect, all he would do was take damage. "I Summon Trap Reactor - RR in Attack Position!" A small turret-mech then came out, unfolding and taking its position. But at least with, Crow would not be able to risk attacking his monsters....It would be a staring contest, and the first to blink would lose.

"Battle! Black Salvo and Trap Reactor, attack Black-Feather Dragon!"

Both machines unloaded each other on it, Bommer recoiling and getting pushed back hard from the explosions, his Life Points falling even further....But now both of his monsters had 2800 Attack Points. It would be foolish for him to leave Black-Feather Dragon in Attack Mode, and as such Bommer would just say "Turn end...."

"Fool! What are you planning!? KILL HIM! KILL HIM NOW!!" Chacu bellowed in his mind, Bommer just saying "Relax....I have a plan. He cannot attack my Vermillion; even he knows, desperate as he might be, that doing so would only hasten his defeat. On my next turn, he is finished."

The hesitation definitely caught Crow's ears. He understood why he himself may have held such an emotion in his voice. But what was Bommer's excuse? He literally had everything on his side, including a borderline perfect field. Unless he got something that could turn this around, Crow knew and acknowledged he was simply on borrowed time. He fought off the urge to shut his eyes as the moment he could go into his battle phase arrived ....

And then felt even more taken aback when Bommer didn't attack him. Granted, he did have Black Thunder to make up for if he attacked him. But he didn't know that ...

Or did he?

His eyebrows furrowed at the thought. Hopefully it wasn't too obvious.

And even then, you have two sets, not only one. He'd have to find the right card.

Whatever the case may be, he seemed to be spared from another barrage. Something that Crow was very thankful for. He coughed, spitting out some blood as he drew and took his turn. His eyes looked very heavy, and in truth they were. It was taking every ounce of strength Crow had to keep his consciousness and ensure this duel could end ... preferably in his favor.

"My turn. I activate Cards For Feathers. I'll remove one monster from the game to draw two more cards. I then summon Auster, but he won't remain for much longer. I activate Blackwing Bombardment on Auster and add his attack to Black Winged Dragon. Furthermore --"

"I'll activate my Reactor's effect to destroy your Blackwing Bombardment."

"Nice try, but I'm not letting you get your way that easy. I'll have Black Winged Dragon put a counter on itself to nullify your damage. Now then ... as I was trying to say. Auster's attack still gets added onto Black Winged Dragon, and he'll attack your Trap Reactor RR!"

After everything was said, done, and resolved, his Black Winged Dragon was now at 3400. It wasn't a bit annoying to know it should have been more so, 4100 to be exact, but it was something. Besides, he couldn't just continue to stall. He had to take the risk, no matter how dangerous this move would end up being.

"Black Winged Dragon will attack ... your ... Trap Reactor."

Are we sure about this? he heard his brain ask as his dragon flew forward.

I mean .... there's not really any take backs in this game, so ... I'm sure enough, yeah.

It probably wasn't his smartest choice. But just as he was continuing to stand his ground, even if barely, the same was true with him knowing he couldn't simply stall. Besides, the consistent down side that Bommer was suffering came in the form of not being immune to damage. So it'd be best to take advantage of that still being available before it became impossible to put any dents in his life points at all.

"Turn end ...."

And then, once again, the vision would start up. And if Bommer's eyes thought they were imagining things before, they would see that wasn't the case. Whatever had looked out of place ... there was indeed a reason for it. And it was playing out right as he stared at Crow. Of course, poor Crow was barely understanding or knowing what was happening. All he knew is his mark was acting up ... but not quite how much it was actually helping him out, contrary to how it may be feeling at that very moment.

Last edited:

Bommer had seen Crow activate his Trap Card, stating "Trap Reactor RR's effect activates! I destroy Blackwing Bombardment and deal you 800 damage!" Though as the Trap was blasted away, the smaller machine's turrets, the rounds would be intercepted as Crow declared his Dragon's effect. Its massive feathery form shielding the boy with its wings, its ATK lowering for a moment before raising again as Auster's strength reinforced its own.

And though his Field Magic would prevent it from being destroyed, he still recoiled as the damage went through. He had taken some serious damage this Duel, the majority of it self-inflicted but still damage nonetheless. "So....That is your Dragon's strength. You truly are a protector, Crow..." he would say, but as Crow might end his turn, Bommer suffered another vision...Again, that day played, the Dragon's Mark making his bond with Chacu waver and wither.

"What is..."

This time he spoke aloud, albeit his voice was quiet and stunned; this time the vision had noticeable differences. It had started further back than before too, this time when Goodwin first came to the village. The meeting had played out as normal...But this time he saw a different scene, one of the researchers near the Nazca Lines seemed to be overtaken by....something. A black tendril mass, her and her party encased by them before seeming to slump over, soon reawakening and their eyes flashing a hint of red before returning to their duties. It was late at night so no one was around.

"I...don't....."

His voice cut off again, his eyes wide as he watched the scene unfold....This time instead of Goodwin he saw...A demon-like creature....And several smaller ones, albeit still large. It spoke like Goodwin...And even now he could see a faint outline of Goodwin's persona, the same went for the guards that were holding Demak down. And as the gunshot rang out again and the young man's body was thrown into the abyss, he then heard.

"Uru, our first stage is complete...." he then said, reaching into a satchel and pulling out a small spider....The day fast-forwarding to the day the reactor exploded. But this time he saw the same Spider mark on each of the worker's faces....Even people from his own tribe! He didn't know what they were doing...But the alarms were going off, so it was obviously nothing good.

"For the Immortals....Let the Dark Gods rise..."

Their voices chanted out, a final button pushing causing a critical meltdown...And subsequent explosion that killed his family, his entire village except a few!

"Bastard...." Bommer said, his teeth grit as he realized the implications. "Goodwin did not kill my village...The Signers had nothing to do with any of this! YOU DID, CHACU! YOU AND YOUR WRETCHED KIN!"

A voice in his head laughed, "Yes....And now that you know...You can truly start your mission!" Bommer cried out as he clutched his head, trying to clearly fight off his God. "Crow....F-Forgive me....I cannot!" His body slumped a bit, before long his mark glowing a violet purple and his eyes completely colored the same shade. "SIGNER! NOW YOU WITNESS MY TRUE POWER! I DRAW!"

Bommer's voice was completely different now, far more dark and resonant, his powerful tone shattering the air around him. "I SUMMON DARKSEA RESCUE!" And though the little rowboat had 0 ATK and DEF, what came next would show the Gods true intentions. "LEVEL 3 BLACK BOMBER DARK TUNES LEVEL 4 TRAP REACTOR AND LEVEL 1 DARKSEA RESCUE!" Chacu cried out, the monsters disappearing into that same black vortex, those purple-black rings encircling it once more.

"THE SHRIEKS OF THE DAMNED THAT BREAK THE INFINITE ABYSS! BE WRAPPED IN THE ARMOR OF THE GOD OF DEATH AND REVEAL YOURSELF! DARK SYNCHRO! LEVEL 8! BLACK FLATTOP!"

As Chacu finished the chant, a violent explosion rocked the air, the darkened sky splitting as a purple light lit up the area, the flames around them rising higher as a massive mega-ship descended. Its form blue as it was in Defense Position and with 3000 points few if any of Crow's monsters could get past that. "But do not despair, Signer...For my turn is far from over. I exclude Black Bomber from the Cemetery to activate Drag-On Vermillion's effect!" As the ammunition loaded into the cannons once more, Chacu just grinned, "But, I know better....You have a plan. Your Black Feathers are an annoying lot...As are their shrewd tricks. Drag-On, destroy his Set card on the right!"

The cannons all fired at once, blasting the ground next to Crow as his Set card was destroyed. "Now there is nothing left to save you...Vermillion, destroy Black-Feather Dragon! INFERNO VOLLEY!" And just like the last time, Crow's Dragon was struck multiple times, killed once again as a shell detonated in front of Crow, engulfing him in fire all the same. "And thanks to my Field Magic, I Special Summon 1 DARK Machine monster from my hand! Come out, Ally Mind!"

At this another monster appeared, Chacu then saying "ALLY MIND, DIRECT ATTACK!" The mind slammed forward into Crow once again, Crow on the last edge of his Life as he said, "And now...I activate...What...." Chacu stopped in his midsentence, his possession seeming to falter, Bommer's voice coming back through as he said, "I activate Return to the Frontlines! Resurrect....Dark Sea...Rescue...." And then before Bommer could complete the sentence, Chacu took back over, "Damned....VESSEL! DARKSEA RESCUE IN DEFENSE POSITION!" At this Crow would see the raft reappear, the weakest monster on Bommer's field.

"Nrgh....Be thankful my vessel managed to reassert and spare you! You will die on my next turn! Turn end!"

Back
Top Bottom