Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

For Research Purposes (Mellow Yellow x Applepoisoneer)

Blinking, Peridot "returned to Earth" and shook her head for clarity. "Well, she can be. I mean, she can control all the water on Earth at the same time. Though the more water she has to handle, the harder it is."

Peridot slipped out of bed and straightened her clothing, though it hadn't really wrinkled. "What do you want for Breakfast?" She asked, more out of curiosity than hunger.

"Hm... well..." Isaac pondered the question as he slipped some shorts on. He supposed the answer didn't matter much, since Peridot didn't eat either way. "I guess I'll go for some toast. You want anything?" Isaac doubted she would, but it didn't hurt to ask. He led the way into his modestly sized kitchen and quickly deposited two slices of bread in the toaster, pushing them down while the other hand got the coffee maker into action.

"Anything for you," he replied. And no doubt the 'consequences' would happen outside his home. Not sure how she would like it, he decided it would be safest to just go for two black coffees while leaving milk and sugar on his table. After pouring, Isaac set a cup in front of his new girlfriend and set about finishing his toast. "Been a while since I had someone spend the night. Never thought my next guess would be an alien though."

"Yeah, I never thought I'd spend the night in a human house either. I like some things about it, but I miss the barn." She sipped at the coffee and her eyes grew wide and rolled up into the back of her head. She spat the coffee back into the cup in a little stream-shot. Then she slid oout of her chair and fell on the floor and twitched a little.

"Well don't worry, I'll drop you there soon," Isaac said. Partly because it was her home, and partly because her roommate scared him rather much. However he was snapped to attention by Peridot's rather dramatic reaction to the coffee, and he was unsure if the reaction was genuine or just some exaggeration. Isaac quickly approached the short alien and crouched over her, quickly brushing her bangs from her eyes. "You uh, you okay?"

Her eyes were still wide, unblinking, and her mouth opened and closed a little, like a fish on deck. Finally, she blinked and her eyes returned to the front of her head and she spoke quietly. "How...How does something that smells so good taste so bad?!" Quickly Peridot sat up and rubbed at the side of her face with her knuckles. "That was the first thing I've ever tasted. Well, intentionally tasted, and it was awful!" She folded her knees and rested her forehead on them. "Human things are harder than I initially gave them credit for." The words were a little muffled.

"Hehehe. Well, it's mainly used for giving you more energy in the day. But if it's improving the taste you need..." He set her cup down and proceeded to add in some cram and sugar, the dark liquid growing lighter and more sugar. Having set this up he handed the mug back to her. "Here, try it now. It might be a little better."

Hesitantly, reluctantly, she took the mug back from him and sniffed it. It smelled different, but not bad. So she took a tentitive sip and held the liquid in her mouth for a few seconds before swallowing. She perked up immediately, and practically guzzled the hot coffee like a dying man to water. Peridot set the cup down and grinned. "This is great. Who knew simple sugar could change something so drastically!"

While Peridot slurped her coffee with a clear giddiness, Isaac smiled and sipped his more casually until he was finished. "Heh. Well, you're pretty sweet yourself," he said. "Okay ah... gimme a second to get dressed and then I'll drop you by the barn," he explained. It felt pretty nice to help her have some new experiences.

When he had gone, Peridot plucked the coffee pot from it's stand and added milk and sugar to it, stirring it with a spoon the way she'd seen him do. She sipped from the edge of the carafe, and when she decided she liked the flavor, she threw it back and drank. The smaller Gem wondered what the long-term consequences might be, but at the time, it was far too good to pass up.

When Isaac returned he was dressed in a crisp blue shirt and dark jeans, arriving to see Peridot drinking clean from the coffee pot. He snickered at the sight, and once she had put the pot down he abruptly lifted her by her hips, holding Peridot under his arm. "I take it you're a fan," Isaac teased as he carried Peridot outside. "I'll be sure to keep that in mind next time we go out," Isaac remarked. It would be a good thing to keep in mind if Peridot couldn't eat human food.

A tingling sensation circulated through Peridot's limbs as she finished the coffee. It brought back a memory from what seemed like an eternity ago; having gotten water in one of her limb enhancers. It didn't short out, but it needed to heat the water and release it, and it tingled a lot like this feeling.

She chuckled a bit when he picked her up and swept her out the door. Normally, she was quite upset when people just manhandled her around. But when he picked her up, she felt special. Like a Diamond.

"We'll have to see how things turn out, but I feel really, really good right now." The small Gem couldn't put a word to it, but it was like all the molecules were vibrating.

"Glad to hear it," he said. Truth be told he wasn't sure how to make an alien happy, but fortunately Peridot wasn't as different as he initially feared. A little weird, but still cute.

The drive back around to the barn was fortunately a quick one. Beach City didn't see much in the realm of traffic, and that was doubly true for the stretches of rural land that ringed the sleepy township. He pulled to a stop at the dirt road leading to Peridot's home, and after stopping Isaac gave her a smile. "This was fun," he said. "Feel free to email me and stuff. I'd be happy to go out with you again in the future."

As they drove up, Lapis watched them from the top of the silo, her wings shining in the sun behind her.

"I had a great time, and I learned quite a lot." She hugged Isaac from across the seats. "Thank you for taking the time to show me." She slipped out of the car and waved at him as Lapis swooped down and landed net to her.

The blue Gem looked from Peridot, to the car, to Peridot again and cast a thumbs-up at Isaac. Her expression was rather neutral, almost unreadable, but it leaned more toward positive.

The two went on a few dates after that, and usually capped off their nights in the same carnal way. Peridot was fun, new, exciting and ultimately a little addictive Isaac supposed. Every date proved to be exciting and set her apart from any other woman he had dated. Then, one night, she proposed an idea for an outing: Seeing what the gems referred to as a 'kindergarten' so she could show her old job to him.

Getting into the temple had required a little sneaking, neither one wanted to stop and explain things to the other gems,, but once they had an opening they had headed inside and onto a strange stone pad they used for teleportation. It had been... a rush. Isaac fought the urge to vomit as the light died out around them, the beam of energy dispersing to reveal a completely new location. Some sort of wasteland.

"Whoa..." he murmured.

"Welcome to the Prime Kindergarten!" Peridot threw her arms up dramatically and framed the walls of the canyon-like structure. She waved him on and continued her eplanation. "This was the birthplace of the last of the Era-1 Gems, those that were cultivated here on Earth. Most of them were Quartz soldiers used in the war that was going on at the time. This is the better of the two mass Kindergartens on your world."

She stopped in front of a small hole, the one Amethyst pointed out as her own. "My job on Homeworld was to cultivate and catalog new Gems, as well as maintain equipment in all facets of Gem cultivation." She raised a hand to her cheek reverantly. "I kind of miss it sometimes. Not for the reasons I used to, but for... new reasons. Reasons I didn't understand until I'd lived on Earth for a while. "

He had to admit, it was rather interesting. Horrifying, in a way that spoke to a primal part of his brain fearful for the destruction of his habitat, but interesting. The scenery didn't help much in his view. Desolate, lifeless rock, and dark clouds blanketing the sky in a way they never did in sunny Beach City. "That's pretty impressive," Isaac said, smiling over at Peridot. "So... what reasons are those? I'm curious."

"I've watched a lot of things grow here." She stated with uncertainty. "Not exactly people, but kind of in the same way. Gems don't do that. They just... come out of the ground and know what they're supposed to do. And at first, I thought humans were, well, slow, for not knowing what their function was right away. But once I came to Earth, I didn't know what my function was here either."

She closed her eyes and shook her head. "I felt completely useless. Until I started finding things here I liked, and eventually I...grew." She looked around and down at herself. "Well, not physically."

"That's true. Not that I mind," Isaac said, playfully poking the top tuft of her pale yellow hair. It made for an interesting parallel- by the sounds of things gems were 'born' as they were designed to be, and didn't change unless they were in a whole new environment. Isaac smiled. "Well, you guys have... centuries to figure out stuff like this. A human's gotta make the most of the time they have and get cracking on what they want."

"Ah... pff. Well, you're the expert," Isaac replied. He settled his hands on his hips and cast his gaze around the rows of vaguely humanoid shaped holes that had been burst out of the walls of the valley. "Oh! You got any like, cool machinery around here? Probably doesn't work after all this time but... it could be cool if there were some robots or lasers or stuff to mess around with."

"You actually built one? That's pretty cool," he replied. He supposed he shouldn't have been too surprised, if they could make super spaceships then making robots should have been easy too. "So ah... you think you could make one here? I mean, with the stuff we have here. Could be a fun little experiment."

Back
Top Bottom