Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Voyage of the Silken Siren (The Corsair and Xanaphia)

From this angle, Delinda could see the phallus stroking into Esme, her slick lips trembling and clinging to its leather length, and that was fucking hot. Almost as hot as the feel of her tongue licking her clit, or thrusting deep into her cunt. And Faye looked fucking good too, her high, firm breasts erect and bouncing with her thrusts. So good, in fact, Delinda couldn’t resist tangling fingers in her short hair and pulled her into a kiss, pulling her in deep into Esme’s quivering form.

Together, they were a tangle of limbs and fluid, smooth, strong bodies moving in well orchestrated rhythm. Seeking and receiving pleasure in one another, moans and the moist slap of flesh on flesh filling the tiny cabin.

While her tongue was busy fucking Delinda’s slit, she bucked her hips, and pulled Faye in deeper with long, lean legs. Delinda breathed harder between hungry kisses, fingers tight on Faye’s shoulder to keep her close. “She wants you to fuck her harder.”

Faye purred, and shoved the dildo as deep as she could into Esme, “Is that what that means?” Her grip turned to steel on Esme’s hips, holding her firm as her thrusts came harder and faster.”

“Oh… oh fuck…” Delinda moaned, giving voice to Esme’s pleasure, “She likes that.” While Faye fucked her, Delinda reached between the women, and rubbed Esme’s clit in smooth circles. Then, timing herself to Faye’s powerful strokes, Delinda lightly smacked her clit, making the woman beneath them twitch and spasm, her cry audible even with her tongue deep inside Delinda.

She maintained this pattern, rubbing, rubbing, slapping, as her own bliss built, driving Esme to climax as Esme drove her closer as well. Faye, for her part, Drew herself erect, grinding herself on the toy inside her while fucked Esme through her climax. Esme got her revenge on Delinda when, just as her orgasm peaked, she scraped teeth against the hardened bud og her arousal, that spike of pain making her ecstasy all the sweeter.

Together, they came, and Delinda let herself fall back into the ship wall as delight weighed heavily upon her. Faye fell forward, just bracing herself on her palms, thrusting deep one last time. She shared a kiss with Esme, tasting Delinda’s smeared lust on her lips and tongue.

“By Edana…”

“… that was…”

“… so… so fucking good.”

Yusuf awoke with a throbbing headache, bad enough that for a moment he thought he was hung over. Then events seam back into memory and he started awake, groping for his scimitar and trying to rise. Vertigo swam through him, and strong hands caught him before he could collapse. “Easy,” Senzang rumbled. “You were concussed.”

“Fuck that,” Yusef grumbled, trying to get up anyway. “Where’s Aurelia?” It was light in their shared cabin, so the fight with the demon must have been concluded hours ago. “And what...”

“The Queensguard killed the demon.” That was Gwynn. The room was fuzzy, but her voice was clear. “And the Captain’s still out.”

“What?” Yusef sat up, then leaned against the bulkhead for support. Focusing, he could see his lover lying in their bed. “She...”

“I gave her a sedative,” Senzang filled in. “Just enough to ease her back to sleep. The demon didn’t hurt her badly, but it was traumatic.”

Helpless fury washed through Yusef. “I hope Faye fucked that bitch up.”

“She did,” Gwynn told him, smiling without humor. “So did Esmeralda and Delinda. She’s made good soldiers out of them.”

“She would, yeah,” Yusef agreed.

“But we’ve got bigger problems, now,”Gwynn added.

“Of course we fucking do,” Yusef groaned. “What?”

“Well, we’ve got Markesh tied up in the gold,” Gwynn began, “waiting for the Captain to wake up so she can do something painful and hideous to him. That’s dangerous, though, because he’s a noble. He’ll be missed, eventually. And then questions will start getting asked.”

“Yeah, true.” Yusef watched Senzang check Aurelia’s pulse. “Be a while, though. He seems like the type to vanish for a few days and finally stumble home, drunk and broke.”

“Then there’s [BGCOLOR=rgb(25, 49, 66)]Vaerys,” Gwynn continued.[/BGCOLOR]

[BGCOLOR=rgb(25, 49, 66)]“Who?”[/BGCOLOR]

[BGCOLOR=rgb(25, 49, 66)]“The demon,” Gwynn replied. “Vaerys, The Indulgent Lord Defiler, Satrap of up-Aquan.” She sighed. “People are already asking questions.”[/BGCOLOR]

[BGCOLOR=rgb(25, 49, 66)]“Fuck,” breathed Yusef.[/BGCOLOR]

Indistinctly, Aurelia could hear Yusef and Senzang and Gwynn’s voices, but couldn’t make out their words. Everything was an indiscernable haze, and there was a strong temptation to let the sedative pulled her down into the darkness once more.

Demons surrounded the palace, led by Vaerys. It would not be long before they breeched the walls. Victory was lost. All that remained was to slow down the forces of hell so others may escape.

Suleimon, her husband and caliph, cuffed her arm before she could pull her blade. “Rashida, you must go now.”

“Go?” She ripped her arm away from his grasp. “I will stand my ground beside you, fighting until my last breath to proect our people.”

“No.” Hard eyes reflected his hard tone, and the resolution in that word gave her pause.

“No?” A deep breath steadied her, giving her time to find her words. “Suleimon, I am not some concubine you can order around; I am your Queen!”

“Yes, my queen.” Tender thumbs caressed her cheeks. “And the love of my life. You cannot not fall here. You must carry our son and our future to safety.”

“The royal guard are smuggling Harmah out. There is nothing left for me without you.”

“There is hope.” One of his hand trailed down her shoulders and arms, to rest on her stomach. “And hope cannot die here today.”

Tears stung her eyes, and she swallowed down her last objection. “Okay. Give them hell.”

He smiled, and she made sure to burn the memory into her mind, before they came together in one last kiss.

Aurelia awoke with a start, reaching for Yusef as the pain of past memories clung to the present. Light filtering in from the cabin window stung her eyes, and it took several moments for her vision to sharpen. “Yusef?”

Her lover sat on their bed, and she grabbed his hand, needing to feel his warmth and his pulse

“You okay, Captain?” Gwynn’ s concerned eyes regarded her.

“Yeah.” She nodded, but didn’t release Yusef’s hand. Ache lingered between her thighs and around her neck, but they’d survived. That was all that mattered now. “So, it seems we’ve killed the ruler for this region?” The demon who slew my husband, but that was old memories, from before this life.

“Yeah, and the questions are already getting close.”

“Well, we’ve made enough to restock our supplies. I’ll chart course and we can leave first tide tomorrow morning.”

“And Markesh?”

Aurelia smiled, and maneuvered to sit beside Yusef on their bed. “I will deal with that problem shortly.”

“Fuck,” Yusef groaned. “Are we ever going to hang around and make some money? I’m getting tired of constantly running.”

“True,” Senzang grinned. “We were so much more stable and welcome before we hired on with the Siren. Never a care in the world, and everyone loved us.”

“Don’t you start,” Yusef grumbled.

“I mean, we never once had to move on because Had firebombed our paymaster for being three months in arrears,” Senzang continued. “Or because a disputed with an employer led to us setting fire to a pirate fleet, or because Itoku and Had decided to burn..,”

“You guys seem to burn a lot of shit,” Gwynn commented.

“You have no idea,” Yusef grunted.

“Did you ever leave an employer without setting them on fire?” She asked. “Because the Siren...”

“There was the Urquarh Syndicate,” Yusef replied. “We didn’t set anything on fire there.”

“No, no,” Senzang corrected “Faye tried to set Kaarim on fire. Remember?”

“Do I want to know why?” Gwynn asked.

“He had an affair with Esfir Urquarh,” Senzang replied, “and her daughter Nahid. At the same time.”

“And with her husband Bashir, remember?” Yusef added.

“True. And none of them were pleased.” Senzang sighed theatrically. “We had to scoop him naked out of a lynching, killing several people in the process.”

Gwynn shook her head fondly, and Aurelia cleared her throat meaningfully. “Back to the subject at hand,” Yusef said, taking the hint, “we should plan our next move. Which, I assume, is restocking our provisions...”

“I made the arrangements yesterday, actually,” Gwynn supplied. “Our credit was quite good.”

“Really?” Senzang looked curious. “Most port masters are quite stingy.”

“Phaedra and I were able to convince him that we have a sound business model,” she replied with a smug smile.

“Then, really, we just have Markesh to deal with.” Yusef took Aurelia’s hand. “You’ve got the claim, but Faye wanted to get a boot in. She wasn’t thrilled to hear that she was the bait.”

“Then Perhaps I should see to him. Tie up all our loose ends.” Ache linger between her thighs, jarred with each step, but she tried to ignore it. The demon was dead, and Markesh was her captive. He’d pay for everything, including last night.

Chains jingled as Markesh shifted in the hold, turning to see his captor. The open door let in the daylight, bright behind her, and he couldn’t make out her features. “My estate can pay a fair ransom, for my safety return.”

“Bullshit. I’m sure you’ve squandered most of it.”

“I have goods! Lands! Slaves! Just spare me, please.”

“Slaves?” The door closed behind her and she waited for Markesh to recognize her before continuing. “How many have you sold off to protect your own ass? How many more must suffer for you to live a comfortable life?”

“Aurelia.” He avoided her eyes, “I was weak, I was a coward, I–“

“Shut up. You put me through hell, you bastard. And I’ve been looking forward to this day for a good long while.”

He fell silent for a time. The he looked around, slowly at first, but more dramatically after a moment or two. “Where’s Varys?”

“Gone”

Terror flickered in his eyes, a terror deeper than the knowledge she was going to have her revenge. “Then get on with killing me, because I don’t want to be here when the gaze of the Veiled Whisperer turns toward you.”

“You don’t make any demands here, you sonuvabitch. You’re suffering doesn’t end until I say so.”

He laughed, incredulously, “It doesn’t matter what you do to me. You killed a favored servant of the Veil Whisperer. Your time as a slave will seem a paradise compared to what she does to you. To you, and everyone about this boat–“

She kicked him in the gut, twice, cutting off his words. “You motherfucker! Even when I get my revenge, you find a way to fuck it up for me. Inviting a demon on my ship, to rape one of my crew? You’re fucking lucky I can’t kill you twice!”

Folding his arms, Yusef leaned against the wall and watched with a professional interest. Quickly, it became obvious that Aurelia had no particular talent for or training in torture. Just an enthusiasm for hurting Markesh that he could respect. “Maybe You can’t kill him twice,” he finally said. “But there’s ways to drag out his suffering in ways that would make getting killed twice look tame.”

Markesh looked horrified, and Aurelia looked quizzical. Shifting a little, Yusef drew his hooked dagger and flipped it in his hand. “Had used to talk shop when he was in his cups, and one day we got to talking torture. He swore that burning and breaking wasn’t the right way to go.” The knife flipped again. Skinning, though? He swore if you did it right it was the best way to torture someone.”

He locked eyes with Markesh, who was watching the flipping knife with a sickened fascination. “He also said that the best place to start, if you don’t care what happens to the victim, is peeling the cock.” The knife flipped. “It’s really sensitive, and that doesn’t stop when the skin’s gone. Oh, and it makes pissing hurt bad. And a whole lot of men just break, if you fuck up their junk.”

He flipped the knife again, then caught it by the blade and held the hilt out towards Aurelia. “Care to do the honors? Or should I get Senzang? He’s a deft hand with a knife.”

“That’s… fucked up.” Aurelia simpered, tracing the knife handle before finally accepting it. Her eyes didn’t leave Yusef’s, and her body brushed against him. “Remind me to not get behind on my payments to you.”

Markesh snickered, “So you don’t mind that he pimps you out? I guess you haven’t changed that much, Aurelia. Never stopped being a whore…” Perhaps he hoped he could goad her into killing him, rather than drawn out torture. Perhaps he just wasn’t very smart. She shared another moment of eye contact with Yusef, a moment filled with a knowing glance and sadistic glee, before pivoting to straddle Markesh.

“I’ve heard quite enough out of you.” One hand pried his mouth open, forefinger and thumb preventing him from closing his jaw. The other wielded the knife. It wasn’t a pretty sight, nor was it a simple task, not as Markesh resisted her. But the struggle excited her, because she knew it deepened his agony, until she amputated his tongue in jagged strokes. Drenched in blood, she rose, holding up the severed organ in triumph.

“You may as well get comfortable,” Aurelia mocked, tossing the ruised flesh away. “You’re going to be down here a long time…”

It took a bit of doing, but Yusef managed not to react to Markesh’s taunts. Mostly because, from the glitter in Aurelia’s eye, it was going to end badly for him. And it did. As his lover went to work with her knife, he opened the door and looked out. “Hey, Gwynn?”

The redhead looked up from paring her fingernails with one of her many daggers. “Yeah?”

“Would you get a brazier of hot coals down here? And a poker, or a knife or something?” Markesh’s screams became agonized gurgles. “I don’t think Aurelia wants him to escape by bleeding out.”

Another gurgling shriek. “Already done,” Gwynn replies smoothly. “I figured she’d find some sort of use for them.”

“You are a wonder,” Yusef laughed. “A genuine wonder. Remind me why I didn’t chase after you?”

“You’re not my type,” Gwynn laughed.

“Oh?” Yusef put on a show of looking hurt.

Gwynn smiled. “I like my men pretty, good with their tongues, and attracted to guys as well.”

“Fair,” Yusef shrugged. “I only tick one of those boxes.”

“Fuck,” Itoku grumbled, setting a brazier down as he reached the bottom stair. “Where you want this?”

“In there,” Yusef answered, gesturing over his shoulder with a thumb. “Aurelua’s channeling Had in there, and she wants her first boyfriend to I’ve through it.” A pause, as Itoku hefted the brazier. “For a while, at least.”

“Fair.” Itoku staggered towards the door. “Fucking things heavy, so get outta the way.”

Aurelia emerged hours later, dripping with sweat and blood. Sweat, because the brazier made the already stuffy underdeck cabin sweltering, and perspiration glistened on her dark skin under the high sun. Blood, because, well, the torture. By now her shirt was ruined,completely drenched and clinging to her breats and stomach. Almost lewdly, in other circumstances. Or, perhaps, depending upon the tastes of the beholder.

She took a long drink of water, forgoing breathing until it was painful, and then let the remaining water run over her face, down her throat and shoulders. Diluted blood followed the path of the water down her body

“Has he had enough yet?” Gwynn asked, handing her another dipper of cool, clean water.

“Has it been three years yet?” she shot back. Truthfully, though, she was nearly done. Because she’d never truly be able to take back the years he stole from her. Because he was going to die anyway, how much did more pain matter at this point. Because… because she’d found something more fulfilling than revenge, and her past couldn’t hold her back from her happiness any longer. Either way, we’ll be ready to set sail tomorrow, and…”

The words died away as a squad of demon guards marched through the docks. Maybe a hundred yards out, but they weren’t hard to pick out. Not when they stood a head taller than the tallest humans. Shit. It really hadn’t taken long to place Varys at his final resting place, had it? And it certainly wasn’t going to look good with her coated in blood as if she had been trying to match a demon for bloodlust.

“Can you talk them down, Gwynn?” Aurelia asked, slipping back into the hold as the group drew closer, “Or should I fetch that silver-tongued husband of yours?”

“His silver tongue isn’t going to get that far, unless he’s trying to get them in bed with him. Which I would welcome in any other case…” Gwynn stood transfixed, following the path they took as it lead them to the Siren. “Get out of sight. Yusef and I should be able to handle it.”

“Shit,” Yusef groaned as the demons started up the gangplank.

“Yeah,” Gwynn agreed. “Got any ideas?”

“Lie,” Yusef answered. “A lot.”

There were ‘only’ four of them. Tall, veridian-scaled things with crimson crests and four slotted eyes. They walked leaning slightly forward, allowing their lashing tails to counterbalance their weights. None of them had drawn a blade, but that didn’t make him feel any more comfortable. “Noble lords,” he began, stepping forward. “Allow me the honor of...”

Pain exploded through his gut as the lead demon blurred into motion. He fell to his knees, vomiting and gasping for breath. One hand felt his abdomen, half expecting to feel intestines spilling out. But no. The demon’s strike had been with a closed fist. And then a scaled hand gripped his hair, dragging him to his feet.

“I smell Lord Vaerys on you,” the lead demon stated, staring into his eyes with two slotted orbs. “And on this ship.”

The other demons fanned out, snuffing obscenely. Gwynn attempted to protest, only to have one of them seize her by the throat and lift. She clung to its wrist, desperately trying not to strangle. Yusef tried to say something in protest, and the demon who held him struck again. He tagged in pain, feeling two ribs break under the scaled fist.

“I smell Lord Vaerys as well,” another demon called from the mainmast. “His blood and ruach, staining the timbers.”

“This ship and all on it are forfeit,” the lead demon declared, throwing Yusef onto the deck. He tried to rise, only to be slammed back down as the demon placed a foot on his chest. “You, and any others who committed this murder will die slowly, over a month and more of exquisite torture, as a warning to the rabble. The rest will live out their lives as slaves.” It’s attention turned to its fellows. “Take them all. Cripple any who resist.”

Aurelia stood with her back flat against the door, listening keenly to the interaction between her lover and the demon band. It quickly went from bad to worse, the demons instantly sussing out the crime that had been committed upon the ship. No, she could not allow her crew or Yusef’s to suffer for her revenge.

Pulling her blade, the same rapier she wielded as the ruler of this region, she steeled her resolve. Brilliant light enveloped the blade, light that could pierce and puncture even a demon’s hide. One more deep breath, and she stepped outside. “I’m afraid I cannot allow that. But I am willing to surrender myself peacefully, in exchange for my crew’s freedom. I alone committed the murder, I alone should pay for it.”

The closest sought to shut her down, exhibiting the same raw strength that overwhelmed her lover and her first mate. One massive fist lashed out, but she sidestepped easily, and sheared through scales and skin and muscle and bone to sever that hand. The stench of seared flesh reached her nose before the demon’s rage-filled scream filled her ears.

The rest of the demons all growled, and pulled their own blades. “Do you think you can stop all of us?”

“No, but I will force you to kill me.”

One took a deep sniff of her, and snarled. “You reek of Varys, whore. We’re going to kill you anyways.”

“But how will Rudain, the morning star rising in scorpion, react when they discover you killed the Onyx Queen, rather than take her in peacefully. What will become of you?”

The demons glanced at one another, silent easement passing in quick looks. Crimson eyes bored into hers, daring her to flinch or falter, before nodding just once. “Drop your weapon and surrender peacefully.” Without hesitation, the sheathed blade clattered to the deck, and Aurelia allowed them to bind her hands behind her.

She spared a heartbeat’s eye contact with Yusef, a sharing a lifetime of regret in that brief communication. As much as she hoped her crew would do that smart thing and honor her sacrifice to live on another day, she had little doubt in her mind they’d do the stuipd thing, and come to her rescue. But, in the chance they didn’t rescue her before the demons could kill her, she mouthed one phrase at Yusef; three simple words.

The lead daemon smiled cruelly as he bound Aurelia’s wrists, and as she is her silent farewell. “I remember the Onyx Queen,” he remarked as another demon picked up her blade. “And I recognize her in you. But you are far younger than she was, when I met you last. And far more naive.”

He shoved her towards the gangplank, making an all-encompassing gesture towards the ship. “Take them all,” he declared. “Cripple any who resist.”

One demon struck Yusef in the face as he tried to rise, sending him unconscious to the deck with blood streaming from his nose. Gwynn drew her daggers, only to have them wrenched away and tossed overboard. The same demon kicked her in the stomach, sending her gagging to her knees. “Perhaps I’ll bid on you,” the demon laughed, binding her wrists. “I like the spirited ones. Breaking them is delicious.”

More demons swarmed up the gangplank and across the deck as their leader dragged Aurelia down to the dock. “Did you really think I would bargain with you?”

-*-

Karin the deck of the Clunai, Kaarim watched with mounting horror as the demons tear into the Siren. “Fuck. Fuck fuck fuck.”

“What the hell happened?” Seith asked. He was watching as well. Everyone was watching, on their ship and the surrounding ships. The demons were being public.

“I don’t know!” Kaarim agonized. “No, fuck. I do. Gwynn said Aurelia had some business to deal with, and that the Queensguard had to kill a demon last night.”

“Fuck. Me,” Seith breathed, then did a double-take. “Where the hell are you going?”

Kaarim was heading for the gangplank, buckling on his sword. “To help.”

“The fuck you are,” Seith snapped, grabbing him. “You’ll just get killed.”

-*-

Delinda kicked the door shut again, shaking just a little. Demonic ichor dropped from her blade and bare skin, and demonic howls of agony echoed outside. “What the hell?” she demanded, wide-eyed.

None of them were dressed yet. They’d barely woken up, when the demon kicked in the door. “The demon,” Esme gasped, wide eyed. “They know.”

“No shit,” Faye grumbled, grabbing her heavy blade. “And there’s too many of them. We won’t stand a chance, not like this.” Outside, they could hear demons approaching.

“What now?” Esme demanded, voice shaking as she caught up her swird. “I won’t let them take me. Not again.”

Faye bit her lip, fighting down her own panic and memories. “We get the hell out,” she declared, swinging her sword. Water flooded in as the hull cracked under the impact. “Then we figure it out.”

Delinda and Esmeralda braced against the door, planting their feet and pushing their shoulders into the wood. It wasn’t easily, not with demons pounding from the other side, striking like battering rams with each hit, nor with the filling water making purchase difficult upon the slick floor. It just had to hold a little longer.

Fayette hacked at the wood, using her greatsword like an axe. Even with her strength, it wasn’t a simple task. The hull of the ship was well designed to resist pressure, after all. But bit by bit, the hole widened, and th water surged in faster. Swimming against the torrent was impossible, for any of them, but once the room filled, they stood a chance.

With a desperate gasp of air, both women released the door, and all three swam through the hole Fayette made. It was another ten feet to reach the surface, ten feet of burning lungs and aching muscles, but each woman surfaced. Still, it was no time to catch their breath, not as they saw the horde of demons upon the deck, rounding up every last person on the Siren. Not even the jolting of the ship could stop them, though it did speed up their efforts. At least ten had been rounded up, bound in chains before the city.

The three women swam towards the other ships in the harbor. Hiding under the shadow of the anchored vessels. The sinking of the Siren covered their escape, but their still couldn’t come upon the docks, not with demon legionnaire prowling about.

“There, The Cluanai,” Delinda pointed out. The other ship hadn’t been raided, or even noticed. That was their salvation, their only hope of escape. Swimming between the docked ships, they got close enough to catch someone’s attention, and climbed up ropes tossed around the back side. Namiko and Mei covered them in cloaks and snuck them below deck, before the Siren had even completely sunk.

While they dried off, half the crew was below deck with them. Even Kaarim, who never seemed to allow worry or care cross his features, was agitated, anxious. But of course he was; he watched his wife get carried off by demons. For now, he said nothing.

Senzang, it seemed would have to be the voice of reason. “Who all were captured?”

“Aurelia, Yusef, Gwynn, Igama, Eitoku, Amira, Ayanna, Lita, Nehime and Vati.” Nishi spoke up, his own unflappable countenance sullen and downcast.

Despite their resistance, everyone else had been without major injury. Not only had demons come to take them, they’d outnumbered the crew nearly two to one. The women had been separated from the men, leaving Aurelia without even knowing if Yusef were okay.

Gwynn huddled into herself, arms wrapped around her knees. “So, when do we make our suicidal escape attempt?

“No pointless sacrifices, Gwynn. I’m sure that husband of yours is planning a rescue mission,” Aurelia reasoned. She felt less optimistic about its success now, with nearly half of the combined crew bound and imprisoned, but it was no time to sulk. Now while her people still looked to her for guidance.

“The Queensguard escaped.” Gwynn noted, resting her head upon her arm.

“See?” Aurelia forced a laugh. “The gods smile upon us yet! Between them and Kaariam’s vengeance, I doubt our captors stand half a chance.” Gwynn stifled a small laugh. Neither of them believed that, but both wanted to.

With a sigh, Aurelia leaned into the cell wall. “All this, and Markesh survived.”

“Sans tongue,” Gwynn pointed out, “but I sure it’s a marked improvement.”

“What the first couple happened here?” Igama demanded, voice muffled by the heavy stone walls of the dungeon cell.

“We got grabbed by demons,” Itoku responded, stretching to loosen up muscles left stiff by the paralyzing venom of a scorpion-tailed demon.

“Yeah, no shit,” Igama spat. “But what the fuck? I mean, me and Amira were just winding up for a third go, when those fucking demons kicked in the door, and...”

“And Faye killed a demon last night,” Yusef interrupted, still nursing his aching head.

“And shit,” Igama groaned.

“Not just any demon either,” Yusef added. “The governor.”

“Shit,” Igama repeated.

“No kidding. So, we need to get the fuck out. Itoku?”

The stocky, amber skinned man nodded, and examined the door. Then he took a wide-legged stance and concentrated. After a minute, he drew his hands to his chest and slammed them into the door.

There was a loud crack, and he was sent flying back into the cell. “Warded?” Igama guessed.

“No. Shit.” Carefully sitting up, Igama examined his scorched hands. “Ow.”

Yusef sighed. Why couldn’t things ever be easy? “Right. Gentlemen, start thinking.”

-*-

“And we’re going to be next,” Faye grunted, shrugging into a loaned shirt. Whoever had worn it before her was large, an the hem hung nearly to mid-thigh. “All of them are tough, but it won’t take the demons long to break them and find out where we are.”

“Assuming they don’t already,” Kaarim muttered. Faye didn’t like the desperate, hopeless look in his eye.

“If they did,” Senzang remarked, “they’d be here now.” He sucked on his pipe. “But Fayette’s right. They’ll know soon enough. We need to abandon the Clooney while attention is focused on the burning Siren. Go to ground, while we figure out our next move.”

“There’s abandoned buildings on the east side,” Esmeralda volunteered. “Could be a good place to set up, for a while at least.”

“Right,” Fayette decided, standing up and slinging the baldric for her greatsword around her shoulders. She’d grabbed that instead of clothes, because there was no way in hell she was going to abandon the weapon as she swam. “You heard the man,” she barked, raising her voice. “Five minutes. Grab your shit and get ready to run, people!”

Time passed slowly in captivity. Without the sun, it was impossible to know how much time passed, and without sharing a cell with Yusef, there wasn’t a good way to pass the time. At some point, she –and most of her crew– had fallen asleep, only to awaken sharply with brutish hands and thunderous demands.

Slave collars locked into place around everyone’s necks. Everyone but her and Yusef, it seemed. Everyone but her had been bound, and all of them were marched into a long line through the city, to the center. Scaffolding with a to one side gallow stood erect, surrounded by the human occupants of the town. They were led by demons through the crowd, and her and Yusef were led up the scaffold. To the gallow with him, and front and center with her.

“Behold, the captain of the Silken Siren, and her pimp, who lured Satrap of ul-Aquan, the Indulgent Lord Defiler Varys, abord their ship to murder him. Both are sentenced to death. He shall be hanged, but the Onyx Queen will not die until every demon in ul-Aquan has had their fill of her. And if she yet lives? Then we turn her over to the people of ul-Aquan, so that she may serve your pleasures until she no longer draws breath. Or until her body begins to stink.” Laughter boomed behind her, but even louder than the laughter was the crack of a whip, just before it struck her back. It didn’t sting nearly as much as seeing Yusef with a noose around his neck. Aurelia gritted her teeth in preparation for the next lash, but it struck with far greater fury. It drove her forward, stumbling until she landed on hands and knees. More laughter roared out from the demons behind her.

“The Onyx Queen is nothing but a cheap whore!”

Behind her, one demon dropped to his knees in a thunderous thud. Dread grew heavy in the pit of her stomach. Her crew was back in fetters, and Yusef would be killed, all because of her. That thought was worse than the fear of her impending rape.

Fire burst through the air, striking the demon behind her right in the chest. The stench of roasted demon flesh rose from his body and nearly caused Aurelia to gag. Confusion spread through the crowd and even the demon captors, shock preventing most from moving. One demon stepped closer to her, examining his dead comrade, only for another blast to strike him as well. Ichor splattered from the new hole in his head, signing Aurelia’s bare skin where it struck.

Chaos broke out now, the crowd rushing this way or that to escape. In every direction, because it wasn’t clear from where the explosions had originated. Demons drew their weapons, but they too were at a loss as to the location or even identity of their attackers.

Aurelia didn’t waste time, pulling a blade off her would be rapist, and burying it deep into another demon as she rose. Blood and viscera sprayed her as she ripped it free. More explosions burst around her, hitting the demons in the arms or legs, slowing, buit not stopping them.

Across the scaffold, Yusef was still in the noose and still bound, helpless to protect himself. The executioner, perhaps deciding that now was as good a time as any to kill him, pulled the lever that would drop the platform beneath Yusef. Aurelia’s heart dropped as Yusef did, and she sprinted and vaulted over demon corpse to reach him. With a desperate scream, she sliced through the rope, letting Yusef fall to the ground, and she jumped down to join him.

“Are you alright?” She asked, slicing through his binds and the noose. Before Yusef could answer her, however, another explosion ripped through the air, striking his executioner in the chest. This time, Aurelia saw the source, a strange iron barrel with a wooden handle, wielded by a man in a black cloak.

Unfortunately for him, a demon also saw it, and rushed him. The man desperately poured some black sand into the barrel, and some small iron balls, but the demon cut him down before he could use his iron blaster once more. Still, it gave Aurelia an idea. Pushing her captured blade into Yusef’s hands, she gave him a quick head’s up, “Distract him.”

While Yusef engaged with the demon, Aurelia rolled behind them, and searched the body of her unknown savior. He wasn’t the only one, she realized as more discharges went off, but she decided the best way to honor his sacrifice was to take up his weapon and his fight herself. Besides, she didn’t need a reason to wage war against the demons.

The barrel was hot in her hands as she tried to figure out how to ignite the weapon. Dammit, had the dead man been a pyrokinectic? But there was a small iron hook where the barrel met the handle, and it seemed as if it were able to be moved. She pulled on the small iron hook, squeezing with all her strength with the barrel aimed at the demon bearing down on Yusef. Fire erupted forth, striking the demon square in the back. He took two weak steps forward before collapsing into a seared heap.

“By the gods,” Aurelia laughed, meeting Yusef’s eyes over the corpse, “I like this thing.”

All of them were a mass of bruises and lacerations as they were dragged and marched out into the yard, souvenirs of a failed escape attempt when their jailers had come for them. The injuries were superficial really, except to their pride. The demons had handled them like I’ll-mannered children, laughing as they did. Yusef could still hear the laughter.

Or maybe that was the ringing in his ears. He’d taken another damn blow to the head, after all. But whatever it was, it didn’t drown out the declarations of the executioner. He heard every word of the sentence imposed on Aurelia, and his blood boiled.

Helplessly.

-*-

Faye pushed through the crowd, angling for the scaffold. She didn’t have a plan. There’d been no time to come up with one, because the local demons were not fucking around. There wasn’t going to be any elaborate gladiatorial game here, no chance to put people into position. Probably no chance at all.

“Any ideas?” Delinda hissed, paling as the executioner pronounced sentence. Her nails dig into her palm as she tried to fight back memories. “We can’t...”

“I got nothing,” Faye but out. “Senzang’s got nothing. We need what we don’t have. Time.”

“So we just kill a bunch of motherfuckers, and hope.” It was a statement from Esme. Not a question.

“Yeah.” Faye sighed, and dried her palms on her borrowed slacks. “And try not to get taken alive.”

And then something exploded, downing a demon. Had? Faye thought wildly for a second, recognizing the distinct sulfur stink of the mad arsonist’s ‘devil dust’. But he was dead, and the explosions were very real. And demons were dying.

“Showtime,” Esme breathed.

Faye grinned, then threw aside her cloak and drew her greatsword one-handed. “Afodesia!” She roared, charging towards the scaffold. “Afodesia! And the Onyx Queen!”

-*-

“You would,” Yusef croaked, voice rough in his strained throat. “It’s a wonder you didn’t like Had more.”

There was chaos everywhere. Masked men with their devil dust harquebusus thundered away, putting the demons on the defensive. And... Gods of Hell, was that Faye shouting? And we’re the masked men taking up the cry? But then he was fighting a demon-blooded soldier, steel ringing on steel as he bought time for Aurelia to work out how to feed her new toy. A quick parry and a thrust, and then some brutal hacking left his opponent bleeding out on the stones.

“Your highness,” a masked man declared, inclining his head to Aurelia. “My brothers are freeing your retainers, but we must flee. Now.”

Aurelia bristled at the title, accustom to the teasing of her crew, but her masked savior was sincere in tone. “I won’t leave without my crew.”

“We’re not leaving anyone behind,” her masked savior insisted, “but we have to flee in different directions, and meet up altogether later.” Aurelia turned back, to see the masked rebels freeing her captive crew, and nodded. Getting recaptured wasn’t going to help anyone. So she grabbed Yusef’s hand and followed her rescuer through the alleyways. They slipped into a dry goods shop and after money changed hands, the owner let them hide in the back storeroom.

“So, don’t take this the wrong way, because I’m quite grateful for the rescue, but, uh…” Aurelia cocked her head to one side, “Why?”

“We’ve been waiting for your return. It is foretold that the Onyx Queen will rise again, and lead us to victory against the demons.”

“Whoa, hold on a second.” Aurelia held up a hand now. “The whole “Onyx Queen” thing was just a ploy to save my crew, and it didn’t even work. I’m not some hero, and I can’t lead anyone to victory.”

“Have you not led attacks on slavers, and freed hundred of slaves?”

“Wait, you know about that?” Shaking her head, she continued, “Look, that was a vendetta, not altruism. And it’s nothing like taking on the demons.”

“We can take on the demons. We defeated them today.”

“You ambushed them with thundersticks! That’s not a long-term strategy.” Aurelia turned to Yusef for help. “I’m sorry, I’m sure you believe in this rebellion, but I can’t risk my crew’s lives on it.”

“Where will you go?” Aurelia turned back to the masked man, and even opened her mouth to speak, before closing it again. “Your main ship was sunk, your other ship and all your wealth confiscated. If you want to get back out to sea, you’re going to have to aid us in reclaiming ul-Aquan. Your Highness.”

“Fuck. Me.” Yusef sipped some water from a dipper.

“You don’t believe me?” challenged their rescuer.

“No, I do. It’s the obvious next step.” He dipped more water and offered it to Aurelia. “I just hoped they wouldn’t.” He smiled grimly. “We still have one piece of good news, though.”

“Oh?” The masked man sounded confused. “And what is that?”

“Prince Rudain never showed up.” His grin was without humor. “I’ve no doubt it would have annihilated your rescue attempt, thunder sticks or no.” He clapped the masked man on the shoulder. “But hey. Now we might live a week.”

-*-

“Where are we?” Faye asked, ducking under a support beam. She watched their guide squeeze through a section of collapsed ceiling, and then reach back to claim his torch.

“Bottom of a fucking ruin,” Esme grouches.

“But not in shackles,” Itoku pointed out.

“True,” Senzang agreed. “Very true.”

Their guide had led the knot of escapees through the streets, and then into a sewer, and then into the basement of some old ruin they hadn’t seen. He’d assured them that they would rejoin the others soon, but that they had to scatter to avoid pursuit. “Come,” he said. “Come.”

Faye squeezed through first, finding herself in yet another rubble-choked stone passage. The guide kit a torch in a sconce, then beckoned her to move to make room. “Where,” she said patiently, “are we?”

“In the lowest levels of what was once the palace fortress of the Last Caliph and the Onyx Queen,” the guide replied. “The others will gather here. Soon.”

-*-

The slender fingers of the Evening Star Rising In Scorpio drummed on the alabaster arm of the chair it occupied. Eyes of lambert gold examined the uncomfortable demons assembled before it. “You had her,” it said, “her and all her band. And you lost her?”

“Y-Yes,” the uncomfortable demonic leader managed.

“Unfortunate.” Rudain leaned back, stepping its perfect fingers before its inhumanly perfect face. “I suggest you find her then. Before I become... displeased.”

“My ship…” It was a blow. A blow she took hard, harder than she was willing to admit. She knew she was just supposed to be thankful no died she she’d escaped horrific torture but, her ship was her freedom, ripped away from the slavers who’d stolen years of her life. This time, it had been ripped from her.

And now, with Rudain coming for them, there was no escape. No fleeing, keeping one step ahead of possessive demon. They had to stand and fight. “What’s the plan to actually do battle with the demons then? You got enough of these thunder sticks to go around?”

“All will be revealed soon. Now, we must away, and meet up with the others.

Together, they snuck out of their hiding spot and into the sewers, taking a path Aurelia began to recognize. Another memory from a past life, but this time smuggling a child away from the the smoke and sulphur.

Sewers gave way to ruins, to crumbling castle walls that had long given out. Now the space was filled with faces. Many strange, new to her, but many familiar as well. Quickly, she was able to account for their entire crew.

All eyes turned towards her and Yusef as they entered, and cheers rang out. One woman, older with a silvering hair in tight braids and an eyepatch over her left side, approached and smiled. ”You’ve returned to us, Aurelia Seaborne. Our Onyx Queen.”

Aurelia frowned, arms crossed over her chest. “Don’t call me that. I don’t want to give these people false hope.”

“So long as we draw breath, do we cling to hope. And you’ve already proven yourself fit to lead us. You’ve defeated the Tenumuyo, freeing Ryozu from the grasp of his steel fist. You’ve weakened the traitorous ul-Alfrayits, who sided with the demons and sold out their own to curry favor. Slavers throughout al-Nithiel whisper your name in hushed tones, fearful you’ll take her vengeance in the flesh. And now, you’ve returned to ul-Aquan, to lead us to her foretold victory against the demons, and fulfill her last promise to her husband, the last caliph.”

Aurelia spared a glance at Yusef, “And what was her last promise to him?”

“He fought to his dying breath to protect his people, and his beloved queen. And we honor his sacrifice just as she did. By standing against the demons, and returning their throne to it’s rightful heir.”

“Fuck that!” Yusef exploded, slashing the air with his hand as he rise to his feet. “Caliph Suleimon Harmah al-Udain is dead, and has been for nearly a century! The Veiled Whisper is the Caliph!”

“Only by conquest,” the silver-haired woman replied. “The...”

He cut her off with a harsh bark of laughter. “Only by conquest? How else do you become a Caliph?”

“By blood and divine right,” the woman began.

“Half right,” Yusef snapped. “You get to be a king with blood, lady. And the Veiled Whisper can spill a whole lot more of it than anyone else.”

“There’s no choice,” Aurelia murmured. “We can’t run any more, not without a ship. And hiding… well, that would be be a slower death.” She shook her head and released a bitter laugh. “I might as well try and spit in Rudain’s eye before they kill me.”

Assuming they did kill her.

“It’s not as hopeless as you think,” the silver haired woman insisted. The crowd parted, and several pairs of rebels came forward, carrying massive chests. Five were placed before Aurelia, and opened in sequence, and each was filled to the brim with weapons. Swords, scimitars, daggers, axes, bow and arrows. The largest held polearms, spears and halberds and pikes and glaives.

“They’re just weapons,” Aurelia stated, unimpressed.

“It’s the armory of the Onyx Queen and her Caliph. And it has awaited your return.” When she could see that neither Aurelia nor Yusef believed her, she waved her arm towards the chests. “Pick something up, and see for yourself.”

Aurelia spared a glance at Yusef, before stepping forward to pick a rapier from the chests. It was in good condition, if it really were as old as the woman claimed. Further, it radiated silver light in her hand, and thrummed with unexplained energy. No ordinary sword indeed.

“There is enough for each of your crew. Blessed by the gods, and tempered in the sacrifices both the Caliph and the Onyx Queen made in the end.”

She could feel the truth of the woman’s words, feel the power that surged through the blade. “If they are so great, why aren’t you all using them?”
The older woman pulled out her sword now, as did each other rebel, until the hideout was filled with the faint glow of silver and gold weapons. “We are, my queen. I, Ruby Lawless, offer my sword in your service.”

Before she could respond, a new face entered the hideout, a young man with a goatee and a hook for a hand. “Rudain had already landed.”

Aurelia was right, of course. There was no other choice. Not with Rudain on the island. Not with the Siren burned to the waterline and the Clooney (or however it was you pronounced the heather name that had been hung on it) seized. They could fight and die, or they could hide and still die.

“Right,” he grunted, gripping the hilt of a scimitar and testing the balance. It felt point heavy at first pass, but the blade gleaned like the full moon and it suddenly moved like an extension of his arm. “You any good with that sword you’re offering?”

“It’s more use in my hand than hidden in that crate,” Ruby replied.

Yusef chuckled. “Good point.” He turned, looking at his mercenaries and the crew of the Siren. “You heard the lady, didn’t you? Load up - there’ll be blood soon, and some of it needs to be demon!”

Grimly the mercenaries stepped forward, jockeying with the more militant of Surelua’s crew for first choice. Kaarim and Igama and Esme chose scimitars as well, while Itoku chose a matched set of katars and Senzang selected a leaf-bladed short spear. After some grimacing Faye chose a saber, while Delinda cooed over a thin-bladed thrusting sword.

“We need a plan,” Yusef said, stepping close to be heard over the clink of metal and the buzz of good-natured squabbling. “A way to get close to Rudain. And, hopefully, to keep it from spotting us until we move.”

“These tunnels cross the entire city,” Aurelia started, staring out beyond the crowd before her. Picturing the city above them, and the demons that would now be patrolling the streets. “We don’t have the strength or the numbers to fight the demons outright. Our best hope –our only hope– is to make the war too costly to continue. Strike quick, hit them hard, and retreat even faster. All over the city, all at the same time. Small groups, ambushes, guerilla tactics.”

She took two steps towards the center of the crowd, and raised her sword. “Chaos will be our ally. Chaos will be our shield. We shall prove ourselves inpossible to rule, until the demons rule no more.” Cheers reverberated in the cavern, and the glow of enchanted weapons filled the darkness. Their mission was dangerous, nearly impossible, but in the midst of the crowd, it felt promising. “Pair off, and plan your strikes. We move out at sunset.”

Conversation hummed and echoed in the tunnels, and Aurelia grabbed Yusef’s arm. “With the commotion of targeted ambushes in the city, we’re striking right at Rudain. These tunnels also feed into the castle, and with their troops scattered to the winds, it will be our best chance to strike. We are going to end this, one way or another.”

“We’re fucked,” Faye groused, hooking her new saber to her belt. “Well and truly.”

“Oh, it’s not so bad,” Esme replied, watching Yusef and Aurelia talk. “I mean, we could be trying to do this without blessed weapons or allies.”

“That would be worse,” Delinda nodded. “Lots worse.”

“Look,” Faye growled. “I’m trying to work myself into a grim pre-battle funk. Stop trying to...”

“Ladies.” The skin, dark-haired bookkeeper of the Siren joined them Faye barely recognized him, dressed in rough homespun breeches and shirt instead of his usual silk robes. “Might I be of service this evening?”

Unsure why Delinda was stifling a giggle, Faye eyed him critically. “Didn’t know you were a fighter.” She gestured at the silver staff he carried. “You any good with that, Nishi?”

“I have never once received a single complaint about the way I handle my staff,” he replied, making Delinda giggle more. “Would you care to try me?”

“Look,” Faye sighed. “I’m sure you mean well, but I don’t..”

“Fayette,” Delinda giggled. “He’s flirting.” Nishi smiled, and Delinda giggled harder at Faye’s confused expression.

“What?” Faye asked, looking between them.

“He’s been flirting with you ever since you boarded the Siren,” Delinda laughed. “Didn’t you notice?”

“...no,” Faye replied, still looking baffled.

Now Esme laughed as well. “Look,” she said, clapping Nishi on the shoulder. “She’s not real fast on the uptake in some things. Be direct.”

“Ah, I see,” Nishi said, nodding. “Well, it isn’t really my way. But...”. Drawing himself erect, he bowed formally. “Fayette. We have some six hours until sunset. I should very much like to spend them entwined with you.”

“...what?” Faye managed, still looking stunned.

“He means he wants to fuck your brains out,” Esme translated.

Faye’s mouth opened and closed. “By...” she managed, “What about you two..?”

“I pride myself on being a gentleman,” he said with a soft smile. “If you wish, I can ensure that your friends are not left wanting.”

-*-

Yusef pulled Aurelia into an embrace, holding her tight against his chest. “I know we are,” he mumbled. “But I’m afraid of what that end will look like.”

After a long moment, he eased his embrace. “Look,” he said, lifting her chin so he could see her eyes. “I... nearly lost you. I Don want that to happen, not again. Because... we know they won’t kill you. Not, not easily, anyway.”

A surge of emotion hit him, making him look away for a moment. “Just...”. He forced himself to look back. “Let... let me handle this? So you can stay here, stay safe?”

“Yusef… You aren’t the only one. I almost lost you.” Aurelia pulled him close again, as the nightmare image of him hanging by his neck returned. It only lasted a second, but it was long enough to burn itself into her mind. “I don’t want to lose you, either.”

“We’ve tried it your way, before,” she started, memories of previous lives returning as if they weren’t three generations removed. “We faced Rudain alone, separately, and we failed. “

Finally, she pulled away just enough to meet his gaze. “That’s why we need to do this together. We’re better together, stronger together. If there is a way to overcome Rudain, it’s together.”

“Now come on,” Aurelia insisted, pulling Yusef out of the large room and into a smaller pathway to one side. “The last sex I had was with a demon. I am going to need you to rake care of that, and me, before sundown.”

“We don’t need a ‘man’ to take take cure of us,” Esme insisted, with one hand on her hip.

“Of course not,” Nishi agreed diplomatically.

“But, that also doesn’t mean we don’t want man to tend to our every carnal need,” Delinda added, wrapping an arm around Esme’s waist.

Nishi laughed, smiling that easy smile, and turned his attention back to Faye. “Well then, what do you want, Faye?”

“I…” She swallowed hard. It had been hot to share her body with Esme and Delinda. And Nishi was hot too, with his soft features and slender build. And the fantasy of watching him with both Esme and Delinda was now making her hot. And the fantasy of him tangled up with her, moving inside her, just she had moved inside Esme? It made her visibly shudder and gasp. “I think… yes. We should all tangle up together.”

Esme clapped her hand on Nishi’s back, “That means she wants to fuck your brains out.”

Back
Top Bottom