Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Voyage of the Silken Siren (The Corsair and Xanaphia)

Aurelia’s icy stare didn’t leave Rudain. Not even as one of their guards intercepted her. One thrust pierced through his chest, and one shove sent him to the floor. Then, as shock settled on Rudain’s typically stoic features, she smirked.

By the time Yusef’s scimitar came down, Rudain had a blade in their hand. It was a near thing thing though, with both of the demon’s scaly hands gripping the hilt of his fine jeweled blade.

“A couple paladins isn’t enough to take on the Evening Star that Raises in Scorpio!” Rudain crowed, finally overcoming the deadlock and pushing Yusef back, just a step or two. Just off guard long enough for Aurelia to strike, her thin blade stabbing right at one wrist and punching through. He pulled away before she could follow up with another strike, only to twist and writhe as Yusef landed a slash into his ribs.

“You feel that, Rudain? That’s fear,” Aurelia taunted, darting in again with her thinblade. They blocked, but it merely sent her blade off true, and she still managed to nick a thin line along their cheek. Black blood swelled at the wound, and rolled down like a dark tear before splattering on the ground.

“Not fear,” Rudain insisted, stronger than Aurelia would have liked. They ran their injuried wrist over the scimitar, smearing dark ichor over the blade until it too crackled with dark, smokeless flame. “No, my dear, this is merely thrill. Finally, a worthy opponent.”

“Fuck,” Yusef groaned, rolling his eyes despite the fear. “You’re going to do the ‘worthy opponent’ bullshit?” He hammered away at the demon’s guard, his scimitar striking sparks with each blow. “What is this? A pantomime?”

“Hardly,” Rudain answered, the word as languid as their parties. “A pantomime, from the ones I’ve observed, end with the victorious heroes celebrating the downfall of evil.”

“Yeah, well...”. Whatever Yusef was about to say was lost as Rudain gestured. The mercenary gagged and chokes, blood spraying from his mouth as he stumbled. His blade clattered on the stone as he dropped to his knees, bile and gore spewing as he gagged and tried to breathe. He was unable to resist when the demon seized a fistful of his hair and lifted.

“Do you see, Onyx Queen?” He gestured around with his darkly flaming blade, pointing out the four Paladins who stood back to back to back to back as they struggled against the demonic tide assailing them. “There is no hope. Not for them, not for you...”. The burning blade hovered against Yusef’s arched throat. “And not for him.”

The demon locked eyes with Aurelia. “But, I am feeling... generous. Throw down your blade, and I will grant your Caliph a quick death.” They smiled infulgently. “It will l, at least, spare him the torture of watching the death I have planned for you.”

Aurelia flinched, terror clawing at her gut as she met Yusef’s eyes. Her death was something she could accept, but his? He was going to die anyway, so it seemed. Didn’t she owe him a swift death, the very thing she once asked him for?

“Okay,” she breathing, holding her hands ups, before her.

“Okay?” Rudain repeated, cocking their head.

Aurelia gazed into Yusef’s eyes, for the last time in this life. Trying not to imagine them a moment later, empty and lifeless. “Do what you will with me, but don’t let him suffer.”

Rudian grinned madly, and tightened their fist in Yusef’s hair. “Put down your blade.”

Carefully, deliberately, Aurelia kneeled, keeping the demon’s gaze squarely upon her. With a faint clank, she rested her thin blade before her, at the demon’s feet. A short bark of a laugh left their lips, and they glanced sidelong at Yusef. “Looks good on her knees, doesn’t she?”

In the span of gloating, her fingers slid into her boot. By the time Rudain returned his leer to her, her wrist flicked, and a single streak of silver sailed towards them. Her dagger struck the demon’s eye in a shower of blood, splattering her lover in black ichor as Rudain reeled away. Pushing off on the balls of her feet, Aurelia pounced, thin blade driving forth until it punched through Rudain’s chest. Her free hand gripped their collar, pulling the demon down her blade as it pierced through.

Body pressed against the demon’s. Aurelia refused to let them go while they yet breathed. Rudain took advantage, hacking clumsily at her flank. With a scream, she ripped her blade out of their chest, spraying thick blotches of blood across the room and then kicked Rudain onto their back.

“You’re never leaving this room alive!” Rudain snarled, as blood spittled from their lips.

“Neither are you.” One more step, one more thrust drove through the demon’s throat. One more heartbeat, one more breath Rudain gurgled through, before drowning in their own blood. The evening star rose no more, but their guards still circled the group.

“Come on,” Aurelia called, grabbing Yusef’s hand. She pulled him to his feet, supporting herself with him as much as she supported him. “We die on our feet.”

“I dunno,” Yusuf said weakly, wiping his blood and Rudain’s ichor from his face. “The Evening Star was ugly about one thing. You do look good on your knees.”

He coughed, gagging in pain as he did. Then, staggering, he turned in the dead demon and raised his silver scimitar. It fell three times, striking more like a woodsman’s axe than a weapon. The pain in his chest concentrated his attention on his target, allowing him to ignore the raging battle between the demons and the increasingly well-named “Queensguard”. After the third stroke he nearly fell as he reached down. But he recovered, and lufted Rudain’s head by their hair. “Look!” he bellowed, ignoring his grating ribs. His voice carried above the cavaphony of battle. “Look, you demons! Look, and despair!”

Blood dripped from the severed throat, and Aurelia’s dagger was still buried in the demon’s eye. The mouth hung open in an abject parody of shock. “Look! The Evening Star Rising In Scorpio, slain by the Onyx Queen.” Holding the head aloft, he gripped his scimitar and advanced in the bull-headed figure of Rudain’s lieutenant. “After a century, she has had her revenge! Will you be next?”

“Bah,” the bull-demon spat, laughing. “I’ll have her, to celebrate my...”.

The words died in a spray of blood and brains as Faye split his skull with her great sword. “Who’s next?” she roared, wheeling on the other demons. Deli says and Esme moved to flank her. “Which one of you motherfucking corpses wants to try fucking with the Onyx Queen?” She seized the dead demon by one horn and hurled the corpse towards the rest of Rudain’s guards. “C’mon! Who’s next?”

The demons hesitated, looking from the severed head of their Prince to the ruins corpse of their lieutenant. Then, as if a signal had been given, they scattered. Yusuf waited, watching for a counterattack. Finally, wearily, he let his arm slump to his side and allowed the head to bounce along the floor. “Fuck me,” he breathed. “We did it.”

“Yeah,” Delinda agreed, voice shaky. She shook blood from a lacerated arm. “I... I think we did.”

Aurelia claimed a kiss from her beloved, driven by by their victory towards burning hunger only Yusef could quench. Not even the throbbing ache of her injured flank could cool her desire, at least not completely. She wanted him right there, upon the throne, with Rudain’s blood still sticky on his skin. But distant commotion was enough to distract her, at least long enough to reclaim Rudain’s head.

Behind the throne room, obscured by gauzy curtains, the balcony awaited. Aurelia stumbled forth, catching herself on the rail, and gazing out among the crowd. Many familiar faces –her and Yusef’s crew, reveling and triumphant– and many more she did not recognize. But they recognized her, and cheering for her, and then louder as she lifted Rudain’s head for them all to see. “The Evening Star rises no more. Tonight, we throw off our shackles, and reclaim our lands –our lives– from the demons.” More cheers rose up, booming in time with her pounding heart. “No more fear! No more hiding! No more running! Together, we topple empires!”

Deafening ovations rang out at that, inspiring something unfathomable in Aurelia: Hope. “Al-Udan is just the beginning. Our victory will carry on the winds, on the waves, throughout the entire Jeweled Archipelago. Let the slavers hear the tales of the Onyx Queen and despair, for her fleet will be upon them next. Human, demon, it does not matter. If they trade in flesh and suffering, they are my sworn enemy!”

“Fuck me,” Yusuf declared as Aurelia stepped back into the throne room. “You actually mean it, don’t you?” He laughed, pulling her into a embrace. “I guess we don’t have much choice though, do we?”

“No,” Faye agreed. “I can’t see a way forward other than that. It after killing Rudain’s. It’s fight or die, now.”

“Rudain was an arrogant bastard.”

“Yeah,” Esme laughed. “I guess he was. But still, it was strong enough to justify that arrogance.”

“No they weren’t. Not really.”

“You must be joking,” Delinda told Yusuf. “The Evening Star Risng in Scorpio and their guards nearly killed us all.”

“Yeah, I know,” Yusuf answered, confused. “Maybe you should tell Faye that. She seems to think...”

“No, no fucking way,” Faye countered. “It was Aurelua that said that. I...”

Slow clapping echoed from the throne. Hesitantly everyone turned to look, and Yusef felt his blood turn to water at the sight. A black robe, hood drawn to conceal the wearer’s face and sleeves concealing the wearer’s hands sat upon the gilded seat. Faye drew a breath and her sword, stepping forward to interpose herself between the shape and the others. “Who the hell...” she began.

“You know who I am.”

The voice came from everywhere and nowhere, soft and insidious, like a memory caressing the skin. Faye swallowed nervously, and shifted her grip on the great sword. “The Veiled Whisper.”

“That is one title I use, yes.” A concealed hand gestured as the concealed head seemed to turn in Aurelia’s direction. “Instruct your Paladin to sheathe her blade, Onyx Queen.”

“What do you want?” Yusef demanded.

“For the Paladin to sheathe her sword. As a gesture of good faith.”

Despite the terrible presence of the demon lord, Yusef managed a laugh. “Good faith? A gesture of good faith for what?”

“Why, that you will listen.” There was a note of surprise in the soft voice. “That you will hear my offer.”

“Offer?” Yusef stated as hard as he could at the demon lord. “What offer?”

“To give your Queen exactly what she desired.” The Veiled Whisper leaned back on the throne. “No more fear. No more running. An end to slavery, and the open rule of demons over the Jeweled Archipelago.”

Aurelia swallowed hard, and nodded to Faye. Just by her –his?– their presence, it was clear the Veiled Whisperer was far more powerful than even Rudain had been. And far more than a challenge to any and everyone in the room. Whatever reason they had for not killing them all, instantly, was worth hearing out, at least.

“Why?” she managed, summoning the courage and confidence she’d possess upon the balcony. Another deep breath steeled her, just a bit. “Why would you offer me all that?”

The Veiled Whisperer dusted some debris off the handrest of the throne. “Because managing the day to day affairs of mortals is dull, and a terrible waste of my time.”

Aurelia blinked twice, words and understanding escaping her, “What?” Incredulous silence followed, filled with incomprehension, “But, then why? Why did you conquer the Jeweled Archipelago in the first place?”

“Al-Nithiel was the center of knowledge within the civilized world,” the Veiled Whisperer began explaining. “Scholars of every different culture gathered here, to share and critique and argue and develop their knowledge, their theories. Collective thought, wisdom grew and flourish amongst the islands, progressing mankind to greater heights.”

“So, you came for our knowledge? Why?”

“Because knowledge is a source of great power. And I desire great power.”

“But then why would you give that up? Why would you give up the rule?”

“My ambitions run much deeper than merely ruling over human kingdoms. Originally, I left it to the demons, but they made a great mess of things. They enslaved much of the population, and terrorized the rest. The shining islands that were once beacons of learning become pleasure pits for demons, who indulged their every whim, far beyond the point of sustainability. Everything changed. Instead of producing scholars and artist and philosphers, the islands produced whores and brutes and knaves. Humans struggled and scavenged for mere survival, instead of reaching for the higher pursuits. Decadence led to stagnation.”

The Whisper stood now, moving slowly towards Aurelia. Despite her every nerve screaming at her, she stood firm. “Under the rule of the Onyx Queen and her Caliph, culture flourished. You have taken up her mantle once more, so I charge you to cultivate that excellence once more. Restore the golden era of human advancement, so that I may achieve my higher ambitions.”

“And what are these ‘higher ambitions?’” Aurelia forced herself to ask, despite the heavy knot in ther gut.

Despite the veil that covered their features, Aurelia could see the smile that curved on the Whisperer’s face, “I seek the power to challenge the Afodisia Herself.”

Yusef could see the incredulity writ large in the faces of Fayette and Delibda and... the other one. Emerald? Something like that. Incredulity that, he was sure, would transform into anger given a chance. Murderous anger that would probably drive the Demon Ruler of Secrets to kill one or more of them as an example. Rumor claimed that a Paladin could - had - killed one, in the barbarian north. But Yusef didn’t feel like gambling on rumors while staring at the Rumormonger itself.

“So, what’s in it for you?” he asked.

The hooded head turned slightly. “what do you mean?”

“I mean,” Yusef said, trying to meet the demon’s hidden gaze, “I don’t buy for a moment that this is some act of altruism. If you’re giving us al-Nithiel, what are you asking in return?”

A chuckle emanated from the hood. “very perceptive. my terms are tribute. you will build a library, and stock it with every book and scroll you can obtain. a twentieth part of the wealth of the islands will be dedicated to the task. and you will endow schools with another twentieth, making my domain a center of learning.” The robed shape shifted. “and all of it will be consecrated to my name and my use.”

“Or?” Fayette demanded.

“or I kill you all, and find someone else to be my regent.”

Aurelia knew she’d have to be a fool a believe the Whisperer, but what choice did she have? Really? What was another deal with a demon, if it freed the slaves of the islands? Besides, if not her –them– than who would serve as the demon’s regant? And who would protect the powerless, if they regent proved as corrupt and monstrous as the demon governors before them?

Besides the things the Whisperer asked for weren’t so bad. A grand library, a university, and a dedication to education within the archipelago. Hells, things she might very well do herself, if it were entirely her own decision.

Her gaze turned to Yusef. Clearly, he was as confused and bewildered as she was. No doubt he was making the same mental calculations she was –Could they trust the demon lord, or just take their chances on killing it?

Aurelia sighed, and nodded. “I accept your deal. I will create this library in your name, and dedicate the islands to the pursuit of knowledge, once slavery is ended in al-Nithiel.”

The Veiled Whisperer smiled, catching the condition Aurelia had slipped in. “Very well. You have two years to accomplish this goal, and begin construction on the library. Seven years to complete construction. And, of course, a lifetime to fill it with all the knowledge you come across.”

Two steps took her to Yusef’s side, and she took his hand in hers. “I hope you will join me in this endeavour. I… I need you by my side, my Caliph.”

Of all the outcomes he might have predicted, this was not one of them. The Veiled Whisper had just handed the proverbial keys of the kingdom to Aurelia in exchange for… what? Schools? A library?

But no. It was none of that, really. It was temporal power in exchange for helping the demon wage war against the Heavens. Just the thought of it made his head swim, to the point that he almost didn’t register when Aurelian took his hand. “I hope you will join me in this endeavour,” she murmured. “I… I need you by my side, my Caliph.”

“I…”

He struggled to find the right words. And then Faye was standing right behind him. “What are you doing?”

“What?” He twisted his head to look at his second in command. “What are you..?”

Faye made a strangled sound of irritation. "Seriously. You need this. You need her. Don't fuck this up.”

Yusef stated at her for a moment. “Faye?”

“Yes?”

“Go the fuck away.” With that, he turned back to Aurelia. “And… yes.” He tugged on her hands, pulling her into an embrace. “Of course, yes. You didn’t even need to ask. Of course I’ll be there with you.” A glint of mischief lit his eyes as he leaned to kiss her. “My Onyx Queen.”

Back
Top Bottom