Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Last Movie You Saw...

Oddly enough it was my favorite as a kid, now I'm more of an ESB person. Still 2nd favorite though!

Snowpiercer. Loved it, like most of BJH's works.
Entirely agree about ESB vs RotJ. As a kid, it was about good over evil, the cute Ewoks and all that stuff. As I got older, it became more of a "sometimes the dragon wins" thing.

EvilWillTriumph.jpg

First Blood Part II.

Right after watching First Blood.

Had the house to myself for the night, so... :)

The Happytime Murders. Not the first time I saw it, but a re-watch. Basically, a "Jim Henson" muppet-styled noir movie with raunchy jokes, cussing, and muppet nudity. Fucking hilarious to see muppets in that kinda situation.

Star Wars: Return of the Jedi. I can officially say I've finally watched all of the Star Wars films now!

What did you think of all of them? Definitely curious for your opinion.
Spoilers I guess for people who haven't seen the Star Wars movies like I was:

Episode IV: Great world-building and character development, I actually very much enjoyed the Death Star escape sequence too, I'm unsure if this one was my favorite or if Empire Strikes back was.

Episode V: I respect it a lot-- because I can see a lot of classic moments that I wouldn't have otherwise recognized mostly because the Star Wars films seemed to have been like a 'stepping stone' for other Sci-Fi and fantasy things, so like the Yoda sequence and that whole debacle was very good, as well as Han and Leia's character developments.

Episode VI: I might get some back-lash... but I didn't like this one, not nearly as much. Maybe it's because I kind of knew what was going to happen already at the ending climax (I mean, even as an outsider to the Star Wars series, I think everyone knows what happens with Darth Vader at the end there), and that was probably the best part of the film. I thought it dragged on way too long in the beginning with the Han Solo rescue, and the Ewok thing just didn't really grab me. Probably my least favorite of the triology, but it's still LEAGUES better than whatever the hell the new movies were. I just felt the character development was lacking in comparison to the other 2 movies, but it was still a good ending at least.

I watched the movies out of 'order' I guess, like I watched the new movies with Rey first before I had seen the others, and I thought they were just... not good-- to put it gently. No offense if any of you all liked them, I just really did not enjoy them.

Then the Anakin ones, I actually really much enjoyed myself. There wasn't really one I wasn't fond of, because I liked all of them there, great-backstory and I'm honestly glad I watched them before I watched 4,5,6, because I actually 'care' about Anakin/Darth Vader as a character by the time he made his debut, and I wouldn't have cared much at all if I had just watched 4,5,6 without the context of 1,2,3.

Those are my brief thoughts, I'm glad I watched 'em at least. I respect the series for laying so much ground-work for other fantasy/sci-fi series like I said, and I can see why it's beloved.

Your thoughts on the entire saga are very similar to mine; The Empire Strikes Back remains my favorite of all of them and one of the best movies ever made. Just a complete decimation for our heroes from start to finish starting with the Battle of Hoth and moving toward Luke getting his ass kicked by Vader - who is his dad, by the way, which we find out dramatically - and then he gets his hand cut off and barely escapes. I love it so much.

I've revised my opinion on the first trilogy somewhat; The Phantom Menace and Revenge of the Sith are better now, but I still absolutely hate Attack of the Clones a ton.

The less said about the Disney trilogy, the better. Just total crap except maybe half of The Force Awakens. I cannot stand the other two films in the least and Rise of Skywalker made me actually tear up from how horrible it was. After following the trash that was The Last Jedi!

Avatar: Way of the Water. It was okay. The effects were amazing, and overall it was better than the original, IMO, but the story lacked something. I dunno, I never got invested in the characters. I did not see it in 3D as I did the first Avatar film.

Puss in Boots: The Last Wish-- fantastic film. But I'm always a huge fan of animated movies.

Black Adam, and I rather regret it. Not a terrible film by any means, but you can really see the seams on all the other movies they are pulling from and it's rather awkward. Sadly no hierarchy changes for Mr. The Rock.

Aqua Teen Hunger Force: Plantasm

God, I wish the entire show would come back. Just fifteen minutes of stupid fun.

Spoilers I guess for people who haven't seen the Star Wars movies like I was:

Episode IV: Great world-building and character development, I actually very much enjoyed the Death Star escape sequence too, I'm unsure if this one was my favorite or if Empire Strikes back was.

Episode V: I respect it a lot-- because I can see a lot of classic moments that I wouldn't have otherwise recognized mostly because the Star Wars films seemed to have been like a 'stepping stone' for other Sci-Fi and fantasy things, so like the Yoda sequence and that whole debacle was very good, as well as Han and Leia's character developments.

Episode VI: I might get some back-lash... but I didn't like this one, not nearly as much. Maybe it's because I kind of knew what was going to happen already at the ending climax (I mean, even as an outsider to the Star Wars series, I think everyone knows what happens with Darth Vader at the end there), and that was probably the best part of the film. I thought it dragged on way too long in the beginning with the Han Solo rescue, and the Ewok thing just didn't really grab me. Probably my least favorite of the triology, but it's still LEAGUES better than whatever the hell the new movies were. I just felt the character development was lacking in comparison to the other 2 movies, but it was still a good ending at least.

I watched the movies out of 'order' I guess, like I watched the new movies with Rey first before I had seen the others, and I thought they were just... not good-- to put it gently. No offense if any of you all liked them, I just really did not enjoy them.

Then the Anakin ones, I actually really much enjoyed myself. There wasn't really one I wasn't fond of, because I liked all of them there, great-backstory and I'm honestly glad I watched them before I watched 4,5,6, because I actually 'care' about Anakin/Darth Vader as a character by the time he made his debut, and I wouldn't have cared much at all if I had just watched 4,5,6 without the context of 1,2,3.

Those are my brief thoughts, I'm glad I watched 'em at least. I respect the series for laying so much ground-work for other fantasy/sci-fi series like I said, and I can see why it's beloved.

*Writes a very angry message about why VI is better than V in every single way*

Or at least, 8 y/o Bloo would have. Nowadays I tend to think V is the best SW movie - as well as one of the best movies - ever made and my personal favorite out of the franchise. The Dad Vader Reveal™ beats Luke's green lightsaber.

(Coincidentally, that's the reason it's my favorite color too! One of many, at least.)

Although to be fair, nobody really knew what to do with VI when it was being planned, and went from an environmental movie similar in tone to Princess Mononoke (almost two decades earlier!) to the rushed conclusion to the Original Trilogy. I still think it's a good watch and ending to the series but my rating would be something like :

V : 10/10 > IV : 9/10 > VI : 7.5/10

I agree with @Doctor Manhattan in saying AOTC sucks massive Wookie balls, though.

Goodfellas. As amazing as ever.

goodfellas-tommy.gif

Actually saw the entire 'Scream' franchise over the past few days (rewatched 1&2, never saw the others past that point). My ranking is:

Scream : The OG, and one of Wes Craven's finest movies. While some of the humor I found to be classic '90s cheese, a lot of it still holds up as do all the performances from the cast (new and old actors alike). If it only had a few more kills, this'd probably be my favorite Horror/Slasher but still quite awesome and influential for future directors.

Oh yeah, and Matthew Lillard carries it obv.

9.5/10 for this one, folks.

Scream 2 : Actually just as good, if not better in the kill department than the first. Has that kind of edge that makes sequels stand up to the entries that spawned them, tons of quotable moments and the best-looking Gale Weathers in the franchise - and Timothy Olyphant! What's there not to like? Well, that would have to do with some characters starting the 'copy & paste' trend that plagues the sequels. However, it's not a bad thing at times. Also didn't care for SMG's role.

9/10 for this one.

Scream 3 : Easily the least thrilling Ghostface and cast of the 5 save for a few key people (Judy and Det. Kincaid), also the one which got hit the hardest by the post-Columbine climate of censorship when it came to violent media. Overall forgettable deaths and less memorable lines. Also what the fuck was up with CC's hairline?

5/10 , kind of the low point.

Scream 4 : Also a mixed bag with an oddly bright and blurry look (early 2010s be damned!), slooooow pace and hit-or-miss characters that get less and less developed as the carnage ensues. However, it redeems itself with one of the biggest twists in the franchise, a cool final showdown and plenty of ripping n' tearing coupled with Craven's directorial style. Just wish it was better in the end.

6.5/10, better than 3 but way below 1&2.

Scream 5 : Easily the most brutal one we have experienced, gallons (and I mean gallons) of blood coat each kill as this entry slashes through new & old cast members alike. Also less humorous than the others, which may or may not be a welcome change. Unfortunately the plot's bogged down by a Mary Sue MC (that the movie actively takes a crack at in one scene!), weak Ghostface reveal and random supporting satellite characters that we should care about when the movie barely lets us know them before they're taken out of it.

7/10, something is amiss but it ain't the bodycount!

Back
Top Bottom