Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Hoard of the Dragon Queen IC

"Wait, ladies," Bran cautioned. "Shouldn't we check out the rest of the tunnel first? No sense going all the way back before we finish the mission. We can leave them for a few minutes if we have to."

"Heh. No one else in the tunnel or I'd be screaming my head off to get them here," the elf says.

"Have to be sure," Bran nodded. "Sit tight, you three," he said to the cultists. "You've got a date with the governor in a bit."

"And with such a charming personality, I've no doubt you'll get one," Jasmine snarked once more, enjoying the direction this conversation was taking.

"What choice do we have?" Bran pointed out. "If we untie their legs to bring them along, they'll just run away as soon as we're distracted. And we can't exactly carry them, not if we might have to fight again."

The three of you travel down the tunnel, entering a slow-moving, shallow river that lies at the bottom of it. The rest of the tunnel is empty, and no cultists or kobolds are present at the concealed entrance. However, when you're at the end of the tunnel, you hear a bellowing voice from back towards the keep-the words are indiscernable, but the tone is clear-challenge.

"Well that can't be good," Bran muttered. "Guess we should be heading back." With one last quick glance around the tunnel to reassure himself that it was empty, he beckoned to the others and set off at a jog back the way they'd come.

The three of you head back to the keep. When you arrive, you hear another bellow, this time able to make out the words. "I'm waiting-one minute more and they die!"

The castelan, a hefty, red-bearded dwarf, finds the three of you. "Not much time. One of ye needs to get out there and fight that monster, or an innocent family dies."

"A 'af dragon that's leading the raiders here. He's holding a family hostage," the castelan says.

The castelan silently nods, and brings Bran to the keep's entrance. "Best of luck to ye-ye'll need it," he says, and offers Bran a salute.

"Well well well," the half-dragon says. "A challenger finally approaches. Come on-" he says, drawing a greatsword. "Fight me!"

Roll initiative. Cyanwrath got a 7.

Bran drew his sword as well and got into a ready stance, but held off attacking for a space. "I don't know who you are," he called across the courtyard, "but I have to warn you, if you're threatening innocents, I won't hesitate to kill you to protect them. I'll give you once chance to surrender. If I were you, I'd take it." He didn't really expect the half-dragon to listen, but that didn't matter--all he was really doing was stalling while he reached out for the power of his god to bolster his energy. The day's fighting had been taking its toll, and he'd need to be at full strength again to stand a chance. Even so, there was always a chance his opponent would reconsider.

(9 Initiative. Using Lay on Hands on myself to heal 4 hit points.)

"Ha! I will see you slain, weakling!" he says, charging forward. His greatsword flashes out twice, each one landing a devastating blow.

Take 17 damage, Bran.

Back
Top Bottom