Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Yearning Steer (Penner and AR)

RE: Yearning Steer (Penner and AR) Random Western Titles.

She was taking the laundry from the line as she was in a bit of a daze. She didn't know what she was going to do... This was all her fault. At least, she felt like it was. Folding the sheets as they were blowing in the wind. Looking up to see Jesse, she said to him. "Yes... Of course..." She said softly.

"Uh, Jesse. I have been hearing some things... And it's my fault? Isn't it?" She whispered to him as she put the sheet into the basket. "He's gone because he..." She felt the tears in her eyes.

"I should have just left..."

Jesse shook his head, "It's not only your fault," he said, "Noah knew the risks, maybe even more than you. He chose to mess around despite all that, and he should have accepted the consequences of his actions. Instead he acted like a child, kicking and screaming into the night..."

He sighed, running a hand through his hair, "No matter what, I promise you.. you and the baby will be taken care of. You'll be okay. You'll be fine."

She did not feel like everything was going to be alright as she thought about where Noah was. "I just was so upset with him so I told him that I hate him." Susan was trying not to cry but it seemed like that was all she was doing. There was a little of her feeling a bit sorry for herself but then, she was upset because Noah had left because of her.

"Have they found him yet..." She asked Jesse. Now, she hadn't really meant that she hated him. If anything, she had loved Noah but he did not love her. She did not want to marry him but she had refused to lie for him.

---

She was riding her horse along the bank of the river as she was looking for anything that had washed down the river after the thunderstorm... It was one of the things that they did since sometimes, things that were worth something washed up. What Rose Waters did not expect was a body...

Jumping off her horse, she called out to her brother, Tom who was about fifty metres a head of her. She was the first one at his side and the first to realize that whoever this man was, he was alive.

Jesse shook his head, "I don't know. Ben is still out... when he gets back, when we know anything, I'll let you know. Okay?"

He was loathe to leave her, he was half worried she would just leave, but he also knew he couldn't really just stand here staring at her. He backed away, "I... should get up to the house. Make sure Luke is okay."

But as he said it, Ben finally rode into the yard. With Noah's mare, "Ben?"

Jesse took off at a run to meet his brother, "Where's Noah?" He asked.

Ben shook his head, dropping the reins and sliding from his mare. He stumbled, and would have fallen if not for his mare. He leaned on her heavily.

"Ben?"

"Wipe down the horses," Ben said softly, "I need to rest... I'll be going back out in a few hours."

"I'll go with you."

Ben didn't argue. Feeling sick, Jesse gathered the reins and pulled the mares to the barn.

His head hurt, fiercely. Beneath the roar of the river he thought he could hear voices and he wanted to call for help but he couldn't.

/Help me./

/Help me./

/Please don't leave.../

And before he could say more the world rushed away.

Susan nodded to Jesse before saying, "Thank you, you have always been the nicest to me... I appreciate you checking up on me." Perhaps, if she left the ranch in the middle of the night. Well, then her being pregnant would not be a bother anymore. Then, where would she turn to? It's not like she could go back to Pawnee, the Pastor would be so ashamed of her. It was not like she could steal anything and then move to the city. She knew that her Pa had family in New York State. Susan doubted that she could move there... She was damaged goods and no man would want her and the man who had damaged her had run off.

Once Jesse was gone, she was folding the laundry. She wanted to finish her chores and then hide out in her hut alone and away from the world.

---

They had to work fast as Rose had a rope out so that she could get the man. She said to Tom... "Hold this rope, I'm going to get him." She said as she tossed the one end of the rope to Tom and then tied the other around her waist so that she could dive in and rescue the drowning man.

Her heart was pumping but she had not hesitated since she knew that she had to act quick as she swam a few metres. Tom was stronger so, he could pull the two of them in from the river.

After a full day and night of searching, the search was called off. They'd found Noah's horse, they knew he must have fallen but the fact they couldn't find a body suggested he'd fallen into the river and everyone knew that meant he was gone. The current was too strong, and in a storm it would have been worse. Two nights after Noah disappeared, Ben called Susan to the ranch house, sending Mary to fetch the girl.

He was numb with grief, they all were, but there was still the matter of the child and he was determined, especially now that Noah was gone, to make sure the child was not only cared for, but that it would remain on the Yearning Steer.

The world was darkness, noise, cold, heat, confusion. He felt hands on him, or what he thought were hands, but he was lost in the darkness and could not help in his own rescue.

And in the darkness he saw flashes of faces.

Men. A girl. Screaming voices. Angry faces.

Was this death? Was this his life flashing before his eyes before life slipped from his grasp?

The last two days had been a nightmare for the young woman, she felt like it was her fault that Noah was gone. And with the talk around the ranch, she felt like it was possible that Noah was dead. The feeling in her heart was horrible. She wanted to run away... Susan wished that she was the one who was dead. After all, she had been the reason that he had run off. Of course, he didn't want to marry a girl like her. She was a whore who had given herself to him only because he had been a little nice to her.

When she had been called to seen Mr. Wilson. Well, she felt like that was it... she had to leave now. It was simply her fault and even thought Jesse had reassured her that it was not her fault. Well, she was heartbroken... the emotions was mixing within her... there was also fear.

Mary was walking with her to the house, she had made sure that Susan was presentable since she had some idea of what was going to happen. The Wilson's were a good family and she knew that they would not send the young girl away even if she was stuck in her depression. “It will be alright.” She said quietly as they entered the house and Ben was waiting for the young girl so that he could speak to her.

Mary would be in the other room, just in case. Not that she would be needed but she knew that it would make the girl feel better.

Entering the parlour, Susan swallowed as she stood there waiting to be spoken to... the first thing that she knew that she would do is apologize for the trouble that she had caused.

---

Rose was in the water swimming for her damned life as she got a hold of the drowning man and with the second rope, she wrapped it around his heavy dead wait as she was trying to stay above the rapids. She knew that Tom was holding on for damned life as she was doing the same. Once she had the rope wrapped around his waist... she swam towards the shore. It was hard to get on the rocks but she swam a little as Tom tied her rope around a tree to pull up the drowning man.

“Hurry the hell up... else I will be down the-” Rose was cut off as she swallowed a bunch of water. It was not long that her idiot brother was pulling her towards the shore as well. Coughing and spitting, Rose's adrenaline was rushing because she was alive.

“Thank Jesus...” She coughed out as Tom was standing over the man who was alive... Crawling over to him, she said. “He might need to throw up that water...” She said to Tom as he nodded. “Goddamn... he's lucky.”

Ben was not alone, Jesse waited with him. In the last two days the eldest Wilson son had aged a great deal. Grief made him weary, and he had searched for Noah, he had searched long and hard, only giving up when Jesse practically made him. He was still unrested, exhausted and sad but he knew the girl needed to be dealt with.

He seated himself in a chair, gesturing for the girl to do the same.

"Susan," he knew her name now, finally it stayed with him, "From what I understand, you are with child and the child belongs to-" he broke off, needing a moment to gather himself before he finished, "Noah."

Saying the name he wanted nothing more than to rise and rush back out. To continue the search. Guilt weighed heavy on his heart. IN his anger he'd sent his little brother out in the midst of a storm. This was his fault. All of it.

"Jesse tells me you've been talking of leaving, but I need you to know, we don't want that. That child... that child is all I have left of him now. That child... makes you family."

Jesse sat close to Ben, he watched Susan closely. He knew this is what Ben would do, he'd tried to console her, to reassure her. From now on, she would be taken care of. It was just Ben's way.

"But I don't think it's right, a woman raising a child alone," Ben shook his head, "so I've decided to marry you myself. Because I think it's the right thing."

"What?" Jesse gaped at his older brother, "No."

He had sustained only one injury in his fall, a single gash in forehead. The gash had knocked him out cold and for the most part he'd floated down the river on his back... but the rapids had a way of turning a man. If they hadn't come upon him when they had, his chances would have been slim.

As it was, he began to cough and sputter as his body rejected the water and fought for a hold on life.

Her eyes were watering because Mr. Wilson would not offer to marry her until he thought that Noah was really dead and gone. Her lip quivered as she was staring at him, her eyes going to Jesse. "You can't do that for me..." She said softly as she started to sobbing. "It's my fault... If I wasn't messing with..." She stopped trying to speak but having a hard time doing it. "Then, he wouldn't have run off." Susan felt deeply saddened because she had known that she loved Noah. She had loved that stupid, selfish, handsome, charming boy and the thought of him being dead had her with her hands covering her face as she sobbed.

She should have just said that someone had taken advantage of her or she should have just left.

"I don't deserve to be treated like family." She said softly as she sniffed, looking down at her lap.

---

Rose was watching him as she sighed and moved so that she could turn him a bit so he was on his side. "Cough that up... Yer gonna need to get it all up and out of your system." She said as she looked up to Tom. "We have to get him back to the farm..." Their family owned a horse farm about five mile from there. Well, it was all their land but the house was about five mile from here.

"I think he will survive." She said as she looked down at him. "Sir, what's your name?"

Jesse was the one who moved to comfort her. He crouched beside her, his hand resting lightly on her back.

"Hey," he said softly, "we're gonna take care of you. I promise."

"Jess?" Ben watched them closely, and he saw something in his brother he hadn't expected to see.

"Ben... I'll take care of her," Jesse looked up, "I'll be the one to marry her. And that baby, we'll raise it together, as one of the Wilson family."

The blackness clawed at the edge of his vision. Her voice seemed very far away. He couldn't stop the tremors that shook his body, "I..." his voice was hoarse, unfamiliar even to him.

Then the blackness claimed him and he fainted.

She was still crying as she looked up at Jesse, he was comforting her as she was weeping openly in front of the two men. Susan nodded wordlessly, she trusted Jesse. He had always been nice to her... of course, he had not said much but when she has been going through all of this. Well, he had been the one to keep her grounded. He was most likely the reason that she had not just left. Well, there were a few reasons that she had not just up and left. One of them was that she had no where to go.

"Jesse?" She whispered when he had said that he was going to take care of her and make sure that the baby would be raised as one of the Wilsons. Susan didn't think it was fair that she should ruin anyone's life because she was pregnant.

"I know that you both are trying to do right for your... brother... I just don't want to ruin your life." She said softly to the two of them.

To Susan, she was just the help who fooled around with a brother and got her pregnant and now, he was... Dead.

---

He was alive but the force of the water and almost drowning must of got him and she asked Tom to get him home by carrying him back to the farm. "He won't be awake for awhile... Best to get his ass back home and have him sleep it off. Ought to be fit as a fiddle, he should be fine if I check on him tonight."

"Ruin?" Jesse shook his head, "This isn't ruining anyone's life."

"Jesse?" Ben murmured, "You're sure about this?"

"Yes," Jesse said firmly, "I want this."

Ben nodded, "Very well. Then it's decided."

He got to his feet and headed wearily for the stairs. Jesse waited until Ben was half up the stairs before he said very softly to Susan, "I'm sorry. I know you're scared, and this probably isn't ideal... but if you'll let me, I would like to care for this child... and you."

Susan was sniffling, her eyes red raw as she leaned a little on Jesse since she needed something, anything for comfort and he was the one who was offering it to her. "I know... I just..." She was trying to breathe. "You are a good man, Jesse... A decent and nice." She offered, "And, I don't deserve to take your shot at life because I was a foolish girl." She was scared that he would wake up one day and regret this choice. That he could find a woman that he loved and he was saddled with his brother's whore.

Closing her eyes, she said these things a little more delicately. "I just want to know that you are alright with this decision... I cannot say no to such a generous offer." She mourned for Noah and she was lucky to have Jesse as her rock.

"I don't think I have cried this much since My Ma and Pa passed on." She whispered a few minutes later, she felt gutted from her raw emotions and she wanted to go to sleep. There was much to consider but for now... There was only the pain of loss.

---

Kate had heard of the awful news from Eric as she thought that she ought to take a visit to the Yearning Steer... offer her condolences to the brothers. It felt surreal knowing that Noah was gone and that Luke and him would not be teasing each other at the table like they did when she had visited those few days when she had been there.

She thought that she would bring something like flowers or baking as a gift of sorts. Kate just felt off and she knew that she had to go and offer some sort of something to the family who had been so good to her when she first arrived to the past.

---

It was later that Rose was doing her shift of sitting with their stranger to make sure that he was either still alive or when he did wake up then they could help him get home or something. She was reading a book as she waited called Les Miserables. It was a French book that had been translated into English. It was also incredibly sad and she was not sure if she wanted to finish it but it was also very good.

Jesse pulled her hesitantly, carefully into his arms. In a way he supposed he needed to be comforting just as much as he needed comfort and holding her gave him both those things.

"We've all been foolish, at some point. I promise you, Sue," he lay his cheek on top of her head, "I will take care of you... From now until forever."

It was Luke who saw Kate ride in. He sat on the porch, pale and drawn with grief. He hadn't cried... yet. It still didn't feel real. He straightened up a bit as he saw her, squinting in the dim light to try and see just who was coming.

The boy woke with a gasp, hands flying to his neck. For a moment it felt impossibly like he couldn't breathe. He gasped, choked, tried to fight off panic as his wide blue eyes took in the room.

There was the comfort that she felt like she needed at that moment as she listened to his promise and believed that she was going to be already. She trusted Jesse... And although, it was a sin to speak ill of the dead... She hadn't trusted Noah. Still, she mourned for her lost love as he was mourning for his lost brother. "Thank you..." Susan's voice a whisper as she said these words to him. "I promise too... I promise that I will be a good wife. I... I know how to cook and clean and..." She swallowed as she felt the tears coming on again. "You won't regret this marriage." She said as she put her head down feeling a little guilty that she was marrying someone else but, the baby did need a father... And a family and she did not have that out here.

---

She had some flowers and she had done a bit of baking... She did not know if that would be the best but she thought that it was a kind gesture as she rode towards the Yearning Steer. The weather was grey and dull like the mood over the Ranch as she stopped at the stables and one of the farmhands tending the horse came out to take Persephone from her. She took the flowers and the packages of baking from the saddle bags as she had them in her arms as she went towards the Ranch house.

It was Luke on the porch as she gave him a look of sympathy. "Hello... I brought some gifts... I am so so sorry." She mentioned trying to offer her condolences. "If this isn't a good time, I could go. I just wanted to give you boys these gifts." Pausing, she said. "How are you doing?"

---

She looked over with green eyes as she slowly got up so that she could go over to the unknown man. He had to be about her age? "It's okay... You are out of the river now... Calm down..."

Jesse walked her back to her hut, but he was determined that as soon as possible he would move her into the ranch house. it wasn't right that she sleep in the hut, not anymore. Of course it wouldn't be right for her to be sleeping in the ranch house if he was there but he could sleep with the ranch hands, at least until they were married officially.

Honestly this didn't feel right... but he'd been watching her so long and in his own way, falling for her for so long... he couldn't let Ben claim her as a bride, and he couldn't let her raise this child alone. he knew this was what had to be done but it killed him. Because she loved Noah... and probably, she always would.

Luke teared up almost immediately at her condolences. They hadn't had many visitors, just Eric and the closest neighbors. He hadn't really had to deal with people's sympathy. He blinked the tears away and tilted his chin, "Nothing to be sorry for. He's just missing, he's not dead," he said, stubborn as ever.

"I'd know if he was dead and he's not!"

He realized he was snapping at her, speaking in way too harsh a tone and he looked away, embarrassed, "I'm okay."

He grasped her wrist, clung to it, "Where... where am I?"

Who was she? He focused on her, staring at her steadily because in this moment she was the only steady thing in his vision.

She was in a sombre mood as she was walked back to her hut. Susan ought to be use to being alone but that night, she did not want to be. She was so upset... and she felt positively alone. However, she also knew that it was not right to ask Jesse to stay with her. And she would not do that as she was at the door. "Thank you..." She said quietly. It was not really what she had expected when she would get married. There were thoughts that the man that she would marry would love her and she would love him in return. She did like Jesse, he was like the older brother that she had never had. Truly, she had never had siblings... and now, she would have a husband and two brothers by marriage. "I should get some rest..." She said simply as she gave him a sad smile, so that she could tell him that she was alright.

"Good night, Jesse."

---

She nodded as she could see the pain in the teenagers eyes. He was only sixteen years old. "I know that you would... it's hard knowing that your brother is out there and you don't know where." She decided that she was going to use the present tense for Noah since Luke was sure that he was alive and... they really didn't know. "I brought a pie and some brownies for you and your brothers... also, some flowers." She said as she was being careful with her wording.

"How are your other brothers doing?" She asked softly.

---

"You are at the Prairie Rose Ranch..." She said in a quiet tone as she was looking down at the unknown man... well, he could be a boy? He was young for sure and handsome but she wasn't going to think lustful thoughts when he only just woke up. "I'm Rose Waters... what is your name?" She asked him with a raised eyebrow as she let him cling to her wrist... perhaps, it gave him some comfort. "What happened?"

Luke shook his head, "Not good," he said quietly.

He got up, moving to take the food from her, "Come inside."

He hadn't really aten much the last few days but once they were inside he immediately helped himself to a brownie. And one led to another.

As he munched, he set the plates down on a table in the living area. "Jesse's gettin' married," he said around a mouthful of brownie, "to the maid. She's pregnant, with Noah's baby. Ben was gonna marry her but Jesse wouldn't let him. Course now Ben doesn't want Jesse to, so they're fightin' over that."

"I don't know!" He said, eyes widening, "I don't know..."

His head ached, he reached up with his free hand to press his fingers into his forehead. He winced, pulling away at the feel of bandages, "I can't... I can't remember. Anything."

The admission of Jesse getting married to the maid who was pregnant with Noah's baby had her surprised. However, Ben was gonna marry her and there was a fight? She really didn't know what to make of that... Kate was a little hurt honestly as she thought of her and Ben. She knew this was a hard time... hadn't Eric explained it to her that he had slept downstairs because of the storm.

Well, not everything was about her. "Oh... that is a lot that is going on..." She said as she took a plate from him. "Is it Susan?" She asked quietly as she thought of the sweet maid who was quiet but had been so nervous. "What do you suppose will happen?"

---

Rose was watching him with a look of utter confusion as she said. "Well, how about we give you a name until you remember so I am not calling you, 'Hey you.'" She offered as she said. "How about Sam... or Dean?" She said with a smile as she said. "Calm down... you need to rest and recover. We will put word out to see where you came from, hmm?"

"I don't know," Luke answered, "And yeah, it's Susan. I think... I think Jesse will marry her, because Ben thinks it's his duty, his job, but Jesse I think he likes Susan. A little... maybe more. Otherwise I don't think he would have stepped up to fight Ben for her like this."

He sighed, flopping down into a seat and running his hands over his face, "it's all such a mess... and it's Ben's fault... it's all his fault! He shouldn't have sent Noah out in that storm... if Noah were here he'd be marrying Susan and everyone would be happy!"

"Sam..." the boy repeated, "... Sam works."

He drew his knees to his chest, "Who are you?" He asked softly.

She nodded a few times thinking that must be something incredibly difficult for a family to deal with. There was the loss of a brother as well as the fact that there was a pregnant girl... and now, one of them was to marry her for her honour. She supposed that she understood that as she was sitting and watching the youngest brother eating. “I should have brought more baked goods...” She said as she brushed some of her hair out of her face. “Why did your brother send Noah out into the storm?” She had not heard that part. Only from Eric that Noah was most likely dead from falling into the ravine...

She wondered if it was the same ravine that they lost their father. Kate did not ask that as she wanted to see Ben but she did not know if she could... it was not like she could talk and explain herself... it was not appropriate.

“I just wanted to check up on you guys... I hope there is word of Noah soon.” She said to Luke but she felt that it was most likely that he was dead. Would he really race this far away from home for this long?

---

“I'm Rose...” She said to him, she had given him her hand but he was waking up from a traumatic encounter of almost death. “There's some clean clothes and some water to freshen yourself up if you want, Sam.” She offered as she watched him with a curious look. He didn't know who he was... and he looked afraid. She did not want that was like. “Are you okay? Do you remember that you were in the ravine?” She asked him.

"There won't be," Ben came out of the kitchen. He'd just come in through the back to search for Luke when he heard Kate's voice. It had been days since he last saw, since he last even thought of her. Now that he did he was just so grateful to see her he couldn't remember why he'd been angry to begin with.

"Luke... you have chores."

Luke got to his feet, "Right. Sorry. Excuse me Ms. Williams," Luke hurried out. Now, more than ever, Ben's mood was foul and it wasn't wise to question him.

"Kate..." Ben said quietly. He wondered how much she knew, about Noah, about Susan and Jesse.

"Ravine?" Sam repeated. "I can't... I can't remember..." But he did remember some things. Angry faces. Shouting voices. Water. Darkness. Fear.

But none of it made any real sense.

He slid his legs off the bed, clutching at his chest as he did, "You... you... pulled me out?"

It feel strange to see him again as she swallowed a little and was trying not to smile... she was happy to see him but... there seems to be so much turmoil in this household. “Hi... uh, I wanted to some and bring some flowers, food and... my condolences. I'm... so sorry, Ben. I cannot imagine what you are going through...” She stopped talking for a little bit as she felt like she wanted to hug him.

She did not hold back as she moved forward and wrapped her arms around him, even if it was a little awkward as she pulled away a little.

“I was told about what happened... and Luke told me a few things...” Was he the one who was going to get married or was it Jesse? Luke had said that it was probably Jesse but she felt like she need to hear it from him “And that you might be getting married.” She understood, it's not like she could do anything. Really, she was being silly.

“I'm sorry all of this is happening...I wish I could do more...” She said honestly.

-

Rose nodded. “Yeah, you could have been a goner... and that would be no good.” She smiled as she was half joking. “Listen, it's okay if you don't remember anything... we are just curious is all. Probably got a family that is worried sick about you.” She mentioned. “I got help from Tom, he's my brother... he's a lot stronger than I am... so, he hauled the two of us out of the river. I only had to grab a hold of you.” She mentioned with a shrug.

I think you had a lot of water in your lungs... so, how about we get you something to eat?” She offered to him as she stood up. “Are you in pain?”

At first Ben didn't respond as she hugged him, but then his arms found their way around her and he pulled her into a tight embrace. It was difficult to answer her questions, especially as he buried his nose in her hair, just breathing her in. He sighed when she pulled away.

"I... the baby belongs to my family. For the girl, for the child, I was going to marry her but Jesse is being stubborn, and I... well," he reached up to stroke her cheek, "my heart wasn't in it. It's selfish to let him do this, but I can't help but think it wouldn't be fair to that girl if I did."

He bent his head, having to lean down to kiss her ever so lightly, "Kate... he's gone..."

He must have family, he supposed, but he couldn't remember.

Sam nodded at her question, "My head."

He tried to stand, swayed, reached for her to steady himself. It was instinct, she was the nearest stable object.

She didn't know what she could do or said and decided only to say that, "I know... I am so sorry, Ben..." Her arm reached up so that she could put her arms around his neck to hold him to her. "I'm sorry." She closed her eyes so that she would not cry. She could hear his pain in his voice and she knew that there was something more. Perhaps, guilt?

There was a little bit of relief that he was not going to marry the girl... but there was a part of her that knew that if it had not been for Jesse. Then, he would have. And, Kate would not blame him.

They stayed like that for a long time.

---

Rose was surprised when he grabbed onto her to steady himself as she said, "Easy there... don't try to do too much..." Rose' red hair was flying out of her ponytail... she was not really dressed like a lady, much to her mother's dismay but when she was working with the horses... well, it was hard to dress like a woman.

"Sit yourself back down..." She said as she helped him. "I think you will be alright in the nightshirt that you are wearing... but I can get you some water and food." She offered. How does that sound?

Back
Top Bottom