Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Yearning Steer (Penner and AR)

RE: Yearning Steer (Penner and AR) Random Western Titles.

She glanced at him, "You mean Susan? Mary is the other one." She said to Ben wondering how could he knot know the name of his own staff. Well, it was certainly not any of her business. "And so... you were going to town to get supplies for the Doctor?" She asked curiously wondering that it had to be somewhat serious if he was going all the way to town and that was a two hour ride only to get there. "I hope that she is alright." She said simply as they rode onward towards the town.

There was a little bit of her that suspected that perhaps, the reason that they were on their way to town was because he had wanted to see her. Lord, no wonder he was so upset when he saw her with Eric. Well, had he been upset? She thought so but he was so damn hard to read.

Ben sighed, shoulders slumping a bit, "I was going to town to see you," he admitted.

"The doc was an excuse..." And he supposed he should feel like a terrible person for taking advantage of Susan's sickness for something like this.

He glanced at her from under the brim of his hat, trying to gauge her reaction. Truth be told he was getting more comfortable speaking to her, being honest with her... but it was still difficult. He was still worried that she would think he was a fool, or worse yet... unattractive. Was there such a thing as the opposite of love at first sight? Hate at first sight? he didn't want her to feel that for him... mind you they were well past first sight at this point but it wasn't as if she knew him all that well.

She had a bit of a smug look on her face as she rode. "Couldn't stop thinking about that kiss either, hmm?" She offered with a look at him. "I was hoping that I would see you soon... is that terrible to say?" She asked him with a curious look in her eyes as she continued down the trail towards town. "Although, people are going to start talking about it. I might have asked Eric a few questions about you when you were growing up." She looked a little sheepish saying that. "I was curious if you were always quiet... he didn't give me much thought... suppose I will have to just ask you." She mentioned with a smile.

Kate certainly did not have hate for him in the least.

Ben could feel his skin warming as she mentioned the kiss. Yes, he was thinking about it... he couldn't help it.

"I don't have much experience with women," he said, blurted really. "I don't think I'm particularly quiet."

Not compared to some. He just didn't generally speak to women, so he didn't know what to say. He reached out, grasping her reins, slowing her horse and moving so they were close, their legs bumping together.

"You want to stop here?" He asked softly.

It was fairly private, with trees on either side, the town too far ahead to be visible.

She could feel her heart skip a beat. "You are a little quiet... but I think it is being you prefer to talk with you body." Kate was skirting a line but she did not care at that moment. "I like when you do talk... you have a bit of an accent but it's a nice one." She explained as he was taking her reins and stopping the two of them. "Stop here?" She asked quietly kind of wishing that the picnic was in her saddle bags but it had been in the Sheriff's. "Sure, I think that would be nice..." She mentioned with a smirk as he led her horse a little. Once they were at the tree line, Kate was going to need a little help getting off her high horse for obvious reasons.

She was not a very tall woman, about average height and the horses were a little too high for her.

She thought about telling him what Eric had said about how every girl in the area had persuaded him... but she thought that she had perhaps teased him enough. "So, if you don't have experience with women... then where did you learn to kiss like that?" She blurted out.

Ben dismounted and moved around to lift Kate down. He didn't exactly put her down though, he held her close, tightly and was about to kiss her when she asked the next question.

He turned bright red and set her down, "I..." he hesitated, "I uh..."

He had no desire to tell her the truth. It almost felt... wrong. Somehow. So he decided to try his favorite way of distracting her. He bent and kissed her lightly. Just enough to see if she'd let him avoid the question.

He was getting very good at distracting her with other things... whenever he tried to avoid a question. Well, Ben would kiss her and he was probably starting to think that was going to work on her but one day... Kate was not going to let it work on her. She did wonder if it would work on him but then, she did not think so. Mostly because Ben never really asked her questions. She pulled him a little closer and kissed him for a few moments. "You know, you like to kiss me when you try to avoid a question." She mentioned to him with a raised eyebrow. "You really should make that a habit." She warned but she was going to let him go on this one as she pulled him down a little and then kissed him back.

---

Mary led the doctor to Susan's hut as he examined her to find out why she was so violently ill. He did come to the conclusion a bit quick as he said. "Well, morning sickness is quite normal." He mentioned to her as he went into some of the other symptoms that she would be dealing with. He also had a completely neutral face because it was not his business but... she would have to tell her lover and get hitched.

"I won't tell anyone but you will have to tell your employer soon and also talk to Mrs. Rite in town... she is the midwife for the area and has a lot of expertise in this sort of thing. He mentioned to the young woman. "And... you ought to tell the father soon." Susan pursed her lips together before she had but the 'man' had told her that she had to pretend like she had been taken advantage of or something.

Ben pulled her back, interrupting the kiss so he could pull her further into the trees. It was safer this way. He hadn't had the sneaking around to kiss girls phase, but he supposed this was why people did it. It was exciting, in more way than one. His heart pounded in his chest, he hoped she couldn't feel how excited he was but knew she probably could.

He backed himself into a tree, bent enough so he could wrap his arm around her rear and lift her up. Using the tree as a basis of balance, he used his free hand to guide her leg around his waist to relieve some of the pressure from his legs.

This whole kissing comfortably on their feet when she was so short thing wasn't easy, but he was finding ways around it.

He did not respond to her observation that he was using kissing as a distraction... it was true, and it was working so why would he stop?

After the doctor left, Jesse was the next to pay a visit. He slipped into the hut, removing his hat and holding it awkwardly in his hand, "How are you?" He asked.

It was a bit of a pain that she was so damn short and he was too damn tall as she pulled away for a moment and said, "Let me sit on the tree..." She said pointing at one that had a low bench but high enough that the two of them would be able to kiss and he would not have to lift her. Well, he was strong and she appreciated that part of it as she kissed him again. Hell, she was a woman who know exactly what she wanted. Not that they could yet, she would not have sex with him. Well... maybe but... hell, she couldn't. It was a thing in these olden times that you couldn't do that sort of thing.

However, they were kissing like this. Her hands tangled in his hair as she pulled him to her and whispered. "This is a good distraction." She whispered as she let him kiss her again.

---

Her eyes were dry but red and puffy as she whispered. "Doctor said that I'm having a baby." She whispered as she wrapped a blanket around her shoulder. "And I told Noah..." She said looking down. "He freaked out about it... wanted me to lie and say someone took advantage of me." Susan started. "I can't say that because they would think it was one of the ranch hands and they did nothing to me..." She said. "Always nice to me." She mentioned as her blue eyes looked up at Jesse. "I don't know what I am going to do..."

He obeyed, lifting her onto the tree ledge, and he preferred that because it freed up his hands but then he wasn't sure what to /do/ with his hands so he just braced them on the wood on either side of her hips.

He pulled away after a bit, to catch his breath, to try and clear his head.

He licked at his bottom lip, then leaned in to lick at hers.

Maybe one day he'd tell her how he'd learned his tricks but not today. He twined his fingers with hers.

Jesse sighed, "Damn kid," he sighed.

"I'm sorry... I'll talk to him..."

Well, she didn't exactly believe him that he didn't have much experience with women but then, she supposed that it was like that line in Outlander. He was probably a virgin but not a monk. Well, she was enjoying the flirting and kissing together in the patch of trees. It was almost like a country song that Taylor Swift would sing. Sappy and adorable. After a few moments, she stopped as she said to him in a low voice. "Whoever taught you to kiss was really good." She whispered before she kissed him once again but this time, well she was using her tongue.

It was sometime later when she said softly. "I don't know how I will be able to wait a week to see you." She teased. "You are going to have to pretend that you are coming for all kinds of things." She did think of his reading lessons. "There is the reading lessons sometimes too?" She offered before kissing him again.

---

Susan shook her head, "You can't... if he doesn't want to marry me then who am I to try and make him... clearly, he does not love me and only thought of me as a bit of fun." She frowned. "No better than a whore." She whispered.

"I shouldn't do this," Ben sighed, pulling back from the kisses but then leaning in and resting his forehead against hers as his eyes slid shut, "I shouldn't..."

It wasn't right. She was a lady, he shouldn't be treating her like this. But even as he spoke his fingers curled around her wrists and he leaned into her, just wanting to feel her heat, her warmth.

He ducked his head, kissing at her cheek, her neck.

Jesse frowned, "No matter the truth, that child you're carrying is his, as well as yours. You know you can't leave... you know that wouldn't be right. So you stay... and if he is forced to marry you, maybe that's for the best. He knew the risks of laying with you... he knew..."

She knew that they couldn't do this either... but why did everything that was fun have to be bad for you. "I know, Ben..." She whispered as her head leaned over a little to the side so that he could get a little bit of a better excess. It was the middle of the day and anyone could walk through these trees. No one did, which she was entirely thankful for. "I know... it just feels really good to be kissing you." She said knowing that she felt like he had weaved himself into her and now... what was she even doing. "We should stop while we are ahead." She said as she pushed him away slowly but looked into his eyes.

"I... I want this too. I just know that we can't... not here. I don't mind the kissing." She really liked that part of it but she knew that she had to be good. "It's because you are so handsome..." Her hand was holding his face in her hands as she smiled at him. They were on the same level since she was sitting in the tree.

---

"I don't know if he did... I mean, I love him but he is so... so..." She sighed. "He can be a little stupid sometimes." She said softly as she wrapped the blanket around her a little tighter. "Jesse, what would you do if you were in Noah's shoes?" She asked him with a sad look in her eyes, similar to a puppy dog. "And I know I can't leave..." She whispered.

Ben sighed, and with some difficulty pulled himself away. He hopped up to sit beside her on the fallen tree. The angle put him slightly below her. He would need a moment to calm down before they considered moving on. "I'm usually a gentleman," He murmured.

This, most definitely, wasn't considered 'gentlemanly' behavior. His mother would have boxed his ears in if she could have seen this.

"I'd marry you," Jesse said without hesitation, "I wouldn't have to be told, or asked, or cajoled. But I wouldn't be in Noah's position, because I wouldn't have used you like that."

He hated his little brother for this, just a little. It wasn't right.

She was sitting on the tree beside him as she leaned a little into him. "I suppose that I am usually a lady." Kate sighed as she thought about the two of them. "It's strange. I don't think I have ever felt this passionate about someone else before." She mentioned as she turned a little to him and then kissed his cheek. "I think I am falling in love with you."

Was that too early to say something like that? "Oh... Maybe I shouldn't have said that." Was she going to scare him off? He was going to hit the ground running.

---

There was a strange swell in her heart as she looked up at him and said. "Really?" She asked him with a smile. Sighing, "If only I had met a guy like you... A nice guy to sweep me off my feet." She mentioned. "You know, any woman that you meet will be very lucky to have you in her life... You are going to make her so happy."

As for her, she did not know what her future was going to be.

Ben sucked in his breath at her admission, but then couldn't stop himself from cupping her cheek and kissing her oh so softly. He wanted to tell her that he felt the same way, but he couldn't get the words out. Even now, even when she was being so beautifully vulnerable, he couldn't be the same.

Instead, he ran his fingers into her hair, kissed her softly again, and smiled.

"It was a saloon girl," he admitted, because he couldn't tell her what he was feeling, but he could give her something else. Somehow this secret was more comfortable to share than the secret of the feelings building in his heart, "when the other soldiers learned I hadn't been with a woman, they bought me a saloon girl... and we spent the night kissing."

He felt his cheeks warming with a flush, "She was very kind... and I was very stupid."

Jesse looked away, resting his hand on his hip, uncomfortable with her praise. He tapped his hat against his leg, "I uh... if Noah doesn't take care of you... I... I will."

Gods. Would she realize he liked her? It was stupid that he did. It wasn't as if they'd said more than two words to each other before this but he'd been watching her a long while, and he liked everything about her. From the way she moved, to the way she laughed. The way her nose crinkled when she was thinking, or how a few strands of hair would always fall out of her braid and caress her cheek. He didn't have to talk to her to know he liked her.

"Because that baby will be family, so that makes you family now too..." he added quickly to cover.

Well, that admission had been a bit of a surprise as she raised an eyebrow at him after he had kissed her. "What?" She said with a look that was almost like she was going to laugh. Not exactly the most romantic thing to say to someone like her. There was an embarrassed look in his eyes that sound that he had never shared that secret... or if he had... it was not many people. "Oh... well, that is why you are a good kisser." She said as the look on her face softened a little.

And really, who was she to judge? After all, she had dated a number of guys and was engaged once. It's not like and was innocent. He was a lot more innocent than she was. "Perhaps... but you got something out of the experience. Did you talk to her?" She asked with a curious look.

---

"No... you can't. I don't want to drag you down with me." She said seriously as she looked up at him. "I know but it's because you have a sense of honour and I don't want to take away your happiness because Noah is a fool of a man... it's not fair to you and it's not fair of me to expect that." She did not get that he liked her. Susan only thought that he was being nice. Noah had been the first guy to be interested in her... she had always been picked on by the boys growing up. She had been an awkward looking child and it wasn't until she was about sixteen that she became a little less awkward looking.

Ben shook his head, "Never been good at talking to women..."

And she had picked up on that, which is how they'd ended up kissing to begin with and perhaps where he'd learned to cover silence with kissing.

"I shouldn't have told you that..." Would she think less of him? Knowing he'd been with a saloon girl, even just like that.

"Family is happiness," Jesse said with a shake of his head, "you wouldn't be taking anything away..."

She sighed and said, "Ben... I'm not a virgin." Her words were blunt as she was looking at him. "I was married and I know how to kiss... we all have different ways of learning things and mine was getting married. As for learning to kiss with a saloon girl... it happened." She shrugged. "I'm not upset... and if you had gone further... well, I wouldn't be upset either." She explained as she leaned in to kiss him before she said anything else.

---

There was a sad look in her eyes as she nodded. "You are right... I miss my Ma and Pa so much..." Susan did not know Jesse's story since she had come to the community when she was only ten years old and her Ma had died within the year and her Pa died when she was fifteen. "Maybe... this won't be so bad... I will have a family again."

He couldn't help but feel like she had come from somewhere very far from here. Her attitude, her words, they were just so strange to him. So very out of the ordinary. He pulled back from the kiss, "please... I..." It was too much. He grasped her hand, squeezed her fingers tight.

He licked at his lips, they felt bruised after all that.

"We should ... move on." Before he was tempted to push for more and he honestly didn't know if she'd stop him if he tried... and that wasn't good but it wasn't bad either. He didn't think.

Jesse smiled at her, "Yeah, you will... no matter what." Because the baby tied her to this family, just as the fire had ultimately tied him to this one.

Truth be told he didn't think of himself as adopted. The Wilson's had always made him feel like he was well and truly one of them. That's why he loved them so fiercely, because they had loved him just as fiercely. Even now, even when he and Ben fought, he knew it was because Ben cared, just as much as he cared for Noah or Luke. And they would be the same way with Susan because that's how this family was.

He wanted to tell her all that, but he, to his chagrin, he couldn't get the words out.

Ben, it seemed, was a bad influence.

"Move on?" She asked curiously for a moment as she wavered a little. "Do you mean to go to town? Do you still need to go to town?" She asked him as she pulled away from him and then, sighed deeply. "Alright... we should be on our way." She said as she slipped off of the tree, her feet had been dangling before hitting the ground. "Ready, Ben?" She felt like she had scared him off from the idea because she had said that she was falling for him. Guess men were the same in these olden times too.

---

She felt her eyes watering a little as she looked at him. "Thank you..." She whispered to him as she sighed. "Who is going to tell your older brother?" She had always called him Mr. Wilson. "Is Noah going to do it... or... should I?"

No, he wasn't ready. He wanted to stay here... he wanted to learn all those things he'd heard about but hadn't tried. He wanted to ravish her... but he wouldn't. She wasn't a saloon girl, and she deserved more than that. He reached for her hand, cupping it tightly in his own as he led her back to the horses.

Sometimes he wished he was more like Eric. Eric would just throw her down and morals be damned...

No, he didn't want that.

Did he?

Once back at the horses he lifted her up, helping her into the saddle before moving to his own ride.

"Noah will," Jesse said firmly, "It's his responsibility, he will be the one to break the news."

She looked back at him and held her hand out to him so that he would take it into his own while they walked back to the horse. "You should come on a picnic with me one day before the end of summer." She mentioned as she had heard talk of a summer end festival and she thought that would be a time to be with him. "We could do a bit of learning to read... Although. We never really do any learning when we are together. I make for a bad teacher." She grinned at him.

"If you have the time... I know that you can be busy."

---

She nodded a few times as she looked down at the ground. "I am not sick anymore. I can come inside and work again." She was still staff and if anything, she supposed that she would be a homemaker of sorts.

"I would spend every moment of every day with you if I could..." Ben said, and that came out far more easily than he expected it to. He squeezed her fingers, careful not to exert full force.

"Do... do you want me to court you? Properly?" Because if he did, he wouldn't have to hide his visits, or his interest.

Although it wouldn't mean they could publicly kiss, it would mean he could come whenever he wanted, whenever he needed to see her.

"No, just... rest." Jesse said firmly, "you're going to need it..."

He backed to the door, flipping his hat back on as he did, 'I'll leave you. If you need anything, send for me. Please."

Kate could feel herself blushing as she looked up at him and smiled. "Really?" She said with a grin. "I would too if I had the chance." It was just a pity that the Yearning Steer was so far away from town because, she did want to see him more. Giving a quick squeeze as she was sitting on her 'high horse'. "Yes, I would like that..." She said softly. "And I would like you to call me Kate... no more Ms. Williams." She smirked at him. "I just think it would be nice since I want to call you Ben." She explained.

"Is that alright, Ben?"

---

Susan nodded looking a little unsure of herself as she sat on the bed and said. "Alright... just send for me if you need to do so. I have a feeling that Mr. Wilson will want to speak to me." She whispered as she said. "Thank you, Jesse. You are a good man." She said before he made his way out of her hut.

Back
Top Bottom