Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Yearning Steer (Penner and AR)

RE: Yearning Steer (Penner and AR) Random Western Titles.

"Kate," Ben spoke the name carefully, savoring it on his tongue. He smiled at her, "Yes."

And he was relieved, but a little worried too. How would everyone respond when they learned of this peculiar courtship? Kate was so new to town and he had never had an interest in anyone before. He didn't think Eric would take it well but it would be nice to claim her... in a way. Hopefully it would be enough to keep anyone else away...

Now, she was grinning ear to ear as she watched him. "Well, aren't I the luckiest girl in the world." She said to him as she squeezed his hand as she thought about what life would be like if she decided to stay here. As the days was going by, she felt like her life in the future was becoming more surreal. Perhaps, it had been all a strange dream or part of when she was hit her head?

Then she had to think of this was a coma and she had to wake up... No, this was real. "Have you ever courted a woman?" She asked him curiously. "I know there were a few girls in the area that might want to rip my hair out." She was joking.

"Well, at least Eric said that a few of the young ladies around here had tried to pursue you."

Ben's brow furrowed, "There are?" He asked. When he thought it, he supposed there had been a few, but he hadn't paid them much mind and they'd gone away soon enough. He knew, if something happened to him, the girls would turn their sights on Jesse, but until then he acted like the head of the family and as a result was the one the girls wanted.

"I haven't been interested in anyone before," Ben admitted, "you're the first..." and she'd be the last if he had his way.

She smirked and said, "Well... That is nice to know." She was being sincere as she said, "I should probably get back to town..." She thought about apologizing to the Sheriff because she left but then, he probably figured out who she was interested in. Although, the information about him being the richest bachelors in the area and maybe the state had her wondering if people would think that she could be a con artist.

She wouldn't blame them since a woman falls from the sky or just so happens to come from nowhere and just so happened on the richest ranch... She was going to have to play her cards close to her chest.

"You probably have to get back to the Yearning Steer." She mentioned as she smiled. "Not that I haven't enjoyed our time together. I'm just a little sad that it is coming to an end today." She wondered if she ought to try and catch up with Eric and finish that tour.

"I should finish the tour with the Sheriff... Only to know where everything is..."

Ben frowned at that, "You sure? He's well on his way.. I'll lead you back to him." He didn't want her to get lost.

Yes, it bothered him a little that she wanted to continue the tour with Eric but he wouldn't tell her not to. She had a different way of doing things, and operated by very different rules than he did. He had to be patient with her. It was clear she had come from a different world. The city was, apparently, like night and day to this place. They just did things differently there, and he would learn her ways... but hopefully she would adjust to the way things were here first.

He wasn't sure why but he wasn't convinced she understood that courting meant preparing for marriage. Something told him she might not understand that.

Ultimately the goal was to get a ring on her finger so he could claim her, keep her... not have to worry about her leaving. But he knew, instinctively, that probably wouldn't be a good thing to say out loud.

“You think? Hmmm... perhaps not.” She said with a shrug thinking nothing of it. “I just didn't want to be rude since he was nice enough to show me around. Although, I suspect that it was because he was trying to get of my sweet side.” She mentioned to Ben as she looked at him. “Are you jealous because you really have nothing to be jealous of...the Sheriff remains me of a former suitor who I did not care for...” She mentioned as if to ease him.

Again, she was talking a little too much as she stopped and smiled. “Sorry...” She apologized. “Will you be willing to take me back to town?” She asked him. “I think I can make it on my own...” Kate mentioned but she wanted to spend a little more time with Ben.

Now, Kate was use to dating which was like courting but not quite... it was complicated and could be a bit complicated. Then, she didn't know what courting was like exactly. “I could open that gift you kissed me to make me forget about opening it.” She teased as she waited for him to get on his own horse.

If anything, Kate did not know if she could handle marriage in this time.

Ben mounted and nodded, "I can take you back."

In fact, he was pretty much beholden to. He couldn't leave her out here alone. He held the reins in one hand, letting his free hand rest against his thigh. He flushed at the mention of the gift. He didn't necessarily want to be there when she opened it. What if she didn't like it? He wasn't used to giving gifts, and didn't really know the proper way to give or to respond.

"Tell me about your life before," He said as they rode. He deliberately kept the pace slow, so they'd have time.

"The city seems like a different world to this. Almost like you have different rules. The way you talk, how frank you are, we aren't like that out here." It was probably the most he'd said since they met, but it came from genuine curiosity and his increasing comfort with her. Kissing truly was like a drug, it relaxed him, loosened his tongue in more ways than one.

"Well..." She started knowing that she was going to have to weave a tale but try to make it similar to her own life. She did not want to lie. "Well, it is a lot different to this way of life." She mentioned as she rode. "I grew up in a townhouse in Fredericksburg... I lived with my parents and my brother." She did have a brother. "And then, I became a teacher until I was courted by my husband, Mark." She thought of their relationship. "I was married to him for six months before the war and then... well, he went off like all the men did... and he died." She shrugged. "My childhood was nice... my parents were good people... but well..." She thought of her family and knew that it was possible that she might never seen them again... it was like they were dead.

She suddenly felt very sad as she tried to wipe away tears. "Sorry... I just don't think of them much... it's a little sad for me." She said as she looked down. "It was a lot of happy times but the war ruined everything." She whispered to him.

"I'm sorry," he said softly.

His childhood wasn't much different. Until his parents died, he'd been happy.

"My parents didn't want me to go join the war effort... but they let me go. Jesse, they couldn't bear to lose him, they kept him back. He was mighty angry about it. Still is, I think. Especially after I came back." They all knew Ben changed after the war, and it made Jesse angry. He thought he should have been the one to go, the one to suffer.

Ben glanced over at her, "No point looking back. Only direction that matters now if forward."

It was a good way of looking at it... now, she did feel horrible about using the war as her back story but it was very convenient to use as her way of being a new person in this town and the reason that she had left. "You are right... I just tend to miss them sometimes." She said in a soft voice as she smiled at him. Her smile was her trying to pretend like everything was alright... sometimes, she smiled even when she was upset.

She wondered why Jesse was upset that he had not gone to war... was it because he thought that he ought to have because he was adopted? She thought of that back story but sis not say anything of it... it was not really her business.

"I'm sorry too... thank you for sharing that with me" She said as she urged her horse a little closer to him and reached her hand out to his.

Ben twined their fingers together, smiling softly as she reached for him.

It was strange how one stranger could become so important and mean so much after such a short time but she did. She had very quickly gained the power to make him feel at peace, and there were only a few people in the world who made him feel that way, his brothers being the others... even when they were frustrating the hell out of him.

The town was just ahead, a ghostly outline in the distance. He hated the idea of letting her go, yet again, but knew he had to.

This courtship, hopefully, would be short. They could be married by fall and he could have her in his home before the snow fell, before trips to town would have to slow for obvious reasons. Hopefully. She might have other ideas but if they both wanted each other what was the point of delaying?

"Do you mind going the rest of the way alone?" Ben asked softly, "There are a few people I need to speak to before I tell them about us. If you don't mind?"

The feeling of his hand was right but then, there was a guilt going through her as she watched him. Kate was from the future and what would happen if she up and just disappeared? Then, they hadn't known each other all that long. She had only been here in this world for six days... Not even a week. It seemed like she had been here a lot longer than less than a week.

She had powerful feelings for him but she was not really thinking of marriage. Yet, if she got married then she would have a reason to be there at the Yearning Steer. Then, she also had the responsible to the school and the students learning here.

What if her life and students back in the future?

Kate felt like she was being pulled in different directions. "Yes, no problem at all." She said honestly as she looked at Ben with a feeling that he had to tell his brothers about this news. Not that she blamed him. "I will see you in a few days then?" She asked him as she was grinning at him.

Why was it that she liked him so much? He was getting into her head... She thought about him all the time and seeing him made her heart swell. Now, there was a little sadness since she knew that she would not see him for awhile.

"I will see you soon." She blew a kiss towards him. "Catch it before it's gone." She said with a smirk before turning so she could ride back to town.

On the way back the sky darkened as thick, rolling storm clouds raced in from the south. Another storm? So soon? Ben couldn't even be worried. Kate filled his thoughts as he rode home, and was still in his thoughts as he returned to the Yearning Steer. He had to tell his brothers, they needed to know. He wasn't sure how to tell them, it was an awkward thing, a new thing, but he knew he had to.

He stripped his mare, brushed her down and headed up to the house. By then the winds had picked up and it was clear they were in for a proper storm. The ranch hands raced around, getting things ready.

There was no time to talk about Kate, or his plans, as he and his brothers battened down the house.

Much later, while the storm amped up outside, they sat together in the house.

"The girl?" Ben asked, remembering that he'd gone to town to retrieve the Doc.

"She's good," Jesse looked at Noah.

Noah shifted uneasily, his hands sliding into his pockets.

"You gonna tell him, Noah? Or you want me to?"

"Tell him what?" Ben repeated, eyes narrowing with suspicion. Something was up, he could tell by their postures.

Noah shook his head, "It don't matter."

"It matters," Jesse snarled, "Tell him!"

Noah shook his head again, "None of my business what that whores been up to!"

Ben saw the fury in Jesse's eyes, but he didn't move fast enough. Before he could intervene, Jesse had punched Noah so hard, the younger boy stumbled back and hit the floor. Anything more that might have been said was lost in the ensuing chaos as Ben moved to restrain Jesse, and Luke moved to stop Noah from getting up.

"You no good piece of shit!" Jesse shouted, straining against Ben's hold, "Be a man!"

"That baby ain't mine!" Noah shouted back, "I ain't never touched that girl!"

"Liar!"

"Enough!" Ben's voice rose above theirs, and it was enough to make them both still. "What's going on?" He demanded.

"Noah's been sleeping with the help," Jesse said, spitting on the floor at Noah's feet, "and she's pregnant."

--------------------------

When Eric returned to town he hurried to the school house, nearly falling off his horse in his haste to reach the door. He saw that her horse was back in her little stable, a good thing, and pounded on the door. A storm was rolling in, fast, and he intended to help her prepare the house. He had a suspicion she wouldn't know how.

Susan did not hear what was going on because she was in her hit but Mary was still in the house trying to get everything set for the storm before she was going to check on Susan. However, she heard everything as she frowned in the kitchen. She did not say anything but she thought that it was disgusting what Noah had done... But she did wonder if it was only Noah or if Susan was going around with any of the other men on the ranch. They had all done that sort of thing but you had to be careful.

Leaving the ranch house, it was starting to rain but she made the dash to Susan's house to check on her but she would not say anything to her about that was going on inside the house.

"Mary?" Susan said as Mary entered with a bit of food. "Here... You need to eat for that baby's sake." She said bluntly as Susan looked shocked as Mary waved her hand. "You will be fine..." She said as she sighed. "It will all be sorted sooner than later."

---

Kate was batting down the hatches as best as she could. She had her horse in the stable and had brushed Persephone down. However, the storm was coming in and she wanted to make sure the school house would be alright with the storm.

She had not expected the Sheriff to come. She was curious as she went to the door and looked at him with wide eyes. "Oh... Hello?" Kate mentioned as she let him in from the winds as it started to rain. The windows were closed and she had the shutters tied down.

"No!" Noah protested, struggling against Luke's hold, "Jesse's lying! He's the one who's been sleeping with her! He's the one who got her pregnant! It's not me!"

Jesse fought Ben with renewed vigor, and when he realized he wasn't going to get loose, he tried kicking at his younger brother. He succeeded only in losing his balance and being held up solely by Ben's firm grasp. "Little shit!" Jesse shouted.

If not for the wind their voices might have carried outside the house but as it stood they were largely alone in their battle.

"Enough!" Ben snapped, "both of you! Shut up!"

He waited until Jesse had relaxed in his grasp and Noah stopped struggling in Luke's before he spoke again, "The maid is pregnant? And one of you are responsible?"

"One of us?" Jesse repeated, "No, Noah."

"It was Jesse!" Noah squirmed.

Honestly Ben had no idea who to believe. His instinct told him it was Noah but this was his kid brother and he had a hard time believing Noah was capable of such callousness. Jesse, on the other hand, frequently bucked the rules and tried to live according to his own way.

He released his grip on Jesse, pushing his adopted brother into a nearby chair, "Move and I'll break you," he warned.

Jesse sunk into the chair, so angry he was shaking but he obeyed.

"It was Jesse," Noah said, "It was! I wouldn't! I would never do this, Ben! You know I wouldn't!"

Ben crouched down in front of his younger brother, brow furrowing as he looked into the boys eyes. He wanted to believe, but wasn't sure he could.

"Tell me the truth, Noah. Please."

Noah glanced at Jesse, then fixed his gaze back on Ben. "It was Jesse," he whispered.

"No," Luke said, "No, it wasn't. When we were sharing a room Noah would sneak out at night... I think... this was why."

"Dammit Luke!" Noah cried.

Ben grabbed his younger brother by the front of his shirt and lifted him up. Once they were standing he dragged him to the door. "No!" Noah squeaked," No Ben!"

Luke and Jesse stood, following after. Luke's eyes wide and full of terror. Jesse's jaw tight, his eyes full of murder. Whatever punishment Noah got, he deserved, so far as Jesse was concerned.

Once they were outside Ben threw Noah to the ground. The kid rolled three times before coming to a stop. He was lucky that was it, the extent of Ben's violence, because at the moment Ben was so angry he could barely see straight.

"You know what I expect," Ben said in a chillingly calm tone, "go to her. Make this right. Until you do, you're not welcome in this house."

"Ben! I-"

"Go!" Ben shouted.

In the distance lightning cracked the sky, moments later the dull rumble of thunder heralded the oncoming storm.

Eric looked around and he smiled, "Well... I came over to help but it looks like you've got everything under control."

The rain had started, he didn't much care to go back out. "And now it seems like I'm stuck here until the storm lets out. Hope you don't mind?"

The rain was hitting the side of the school house as she hoped that Ben made it back to the Yearning Steer before the storm. “Not at all...” She said to the Sheriff as she said, “Are you hungry? I can get you something to eat...” She did wonder how Ben was going to think about the Sheriff being here with her during the storm. Well, she hoped that he didn't get jealous because she was not the type to do that sort of thing to someone that she was dating...

Well, she supposed that it was called courting in this day. “Thanks for coming to check on me.” She said to him as she started over to the pantry to get something. “And I want to apologize for running off with Mr. Wilson.” Sorry not sorry if anything... those kisses were so worth it.

“I was just a little worried about his maid, Susan...” She said with a shrug. Perhaps, she ought to tell the Sheriff that Ben was officially courting her. Well, she wanted to get the okay from Ben before anything like that... well, perhaps since they were alone here in this school house. That could get people gossiping...

There was a crash of thunder as Kate jumped. “Are there usually this many storms... I hope there's no twisters.” She said with some concern in her voice as she went to get a pot to heat up something to eat.

Noah struggled to his feet, looking back to the porch where Ben, Luke and Jesse stood, watching him. He knew what Ben wanted, but he couldn't. He didn't want to marry her. He liked Susan just fine, but marriage? No. He wasn't ready for that. He didn't want that. He stumbled back, turning and running.

Jesse took a step forward, but Ben shook his head, "No. Let him go."

"Ben-"

"Let him go."

In the barn Noah saddled a mare. He'd go to Eric. Eric was like another brother, in a way. He was sure the Sheriff would let him stay there, at least for a time, until he could figure out what to do. He knew Ben wouldn't let him come home, not unless he was willing to marry Susan and he wasn't going to do that. He just couldn't.

He didn't love her. Not ... not like that.

Heart pounding, tears wetting his face, he mounted the mare and rode out. By the time he reached the gate, the rain was pouring hard.

Ben pushed the other boys back into the house.

"Ben?" Luke murmured, voice full of concern, "The storm?"

"Just get inside," Ben said quietly, "He'll be fine."

Eric chuckled, "It's all right, I don't mind. I get it... he's a good looking fellow, eligible as all get out. I understand why a lady would want to spend time with him rather than me."

He watched her jumped at the thunder and if she were any other woman he might have offered to hold her, to help chase away the fear but this woman... well, there was something about her that was off. Something that made him wary. He was really starting to wonder, especially after that display this afternoon.

"No, but we're pretty grateful for the storms now. As you know we've been in a mighty drought. THis is the second rain fall in a week, it's good and hopefully this time the rain lasts for some time." Long enough to properly wet things at least.

Susan had fallen asleep, Mary stayed in her cabin to make sure that she did eat before going to her own cabin that was next to hers. Of course, she got wet but she was soon by her own little fire and warm before going to bed. None the wiser of what had happened at the ranch house... well, what happened after she left.

---

She looked Eric up and down. "Yeah, well... you already know that you are handsome and I bet you have half the village girls wanting to be married to you... I'm just a new interesting person in town but you will get bored of me soon enough." She mentioned to him bluntly, it was her way. "As for... Ben." She said his name, they were courting so there was nothing to be ashamed of. "Well, I find that I like him as well." She didn't think that Ben knew just how hot he was... which was weird but she supposed that he was shy with women and so... it made sense.

She started cutting up vegetable and tomatoes for a soup. "I did hear of the drought... well, it will do some good then." She mentioned as she cooked. Waiting for the storm to lit up.

The storm didn't let up. It continued on through the night. Eric eventually fell asleep at one of the tables in Kate's 'classroom'. He woke the next morning when the sun filtered in through the shutters. He pushed himself up, yawning, eyes searching the space for Kate.

"Ms Williams?" He called, stretching as he stood.

At the Yearning Steer the morning was solemn. "He would have gone to Eric," Ben said as he prepared a mare.

"I'll come along," Jesse offered.

"No, stay here."

"And the girl?" Jesse asked, "What do we tell her?"

"For now, nothing. I'll be back after I've had a word with Noah."

"Ben..." Luke stood at Jesse's side, "just... take it easy on him okay?"

Ben mounted his ride, "I'll be back later in the day. Make sure your chores are done."

"Yessir!" Luke said.

Jesse just nodded. They stood watching as Ben rode away. Luke turned to Jesse once Ben was out of sight, "What do you think's going to happen?"

"I don't know," Jesse admitted, "I've never seen Ben that mad before..."

"Think he'll let Noah come home?"

"Only if he marries that girl," Jesse said. He was torn... both wanting Noah to do the right thing and hating the idea of Susan being married to his kid brother. He shook his head, "Come on. Let's get to work."

When the Sheriff had gone to sleep on the table, she had put a blanket over him as given him her second pillow since the table should not be comfortable. Now, she knew people would talk since he had stayed over but he was firmly not allowed upstairs. And that is where she was when he woke up. She was still sleep as she rolled to her side not wanting to get up quite yet. She was not liking that she had to wake up when she heard someone calling her name. She was wearing one of Ms. Matthews nightgowns as she got a bathrobe and wrapped around her when she had to...

"What?' She grumbled at the top of the stairs but not going down.

---

Susan was feeling better the next morning. There had been a little bit of morning sickness but she was stubborn and she was going to work. Of course, she had no knowledge of what had happened the night before. Going towards the ranch house, she was dressed and cleaned. Ready for her chores and the cleaning of the house... but something was really off when she went into the house. Something that she could not put her finger on as Mary asked her if she was feeling better that morning.

"Yes... I just needed a bit of sleep." She supposed that they had not told their employer yet of the situation... well, she just hoped that she didn't see anyone today... she probably won't if she was staying out of the kitchen and cleaning the ranch house from top to bottom.

Eric chuckled, "Looks like the storm has passed. I'm going to head-"

He was interrupted by knocking at the door. Three sharp raps.

He hesitated, "I'll get that for you."

He headed for the door, pulling it open and blinking in surprise when he saw Ben standing outside. "Ben?"

Ben's eyes narrowed. He'd left the ranch early, before first sun even. But when he arrived in town Eric hadn't been at his home or at the Sherrif's office. At the office the Deputy had mentioned Eric might be here and sure enough... he was.

"Eric," Ben said quietly, "did Noah come around last night?"

"Noah? Why on earth... no. I haven't seen him. Why?"

Ben cursed under his breath, turning away.

"Wait, Ben!" Eric stepped out after him, "What's going on?"

"If you see him, find a way to let me know," Ben said as he hurried off the steps. He wouldn't let himself wonder why Eric was there, so blasted early in the morning, looking like he did with his hair sticking out at angles and his eyes bleary with freshly shorn sleep. Later, when he found Noah, he'd question it... and her. Kate Williams.

What was she playing at? Accepting his offer of courtship then having a man at her house at this hour of the morning? Who, apparently, had spent the night?

"Ben!" Eric hesitated before moving back into the house, "Kate! I gotta run!"

She heard the banging on the door and wondered what that was about as she went to look out the window and saw that it was Ben. He didn't look up but she could see the look on his face. 'Shit...' She swore knowing exactly what it looked like... a man at her place for an overnight stay. God, she had warned Eric about that and how she was going to get in trouble and he ought to go to the Sheriff's office and sleep there. He said that it would be fine if he was down the stairs...

And he answered her goddamn door... what the fuck? He ought to have be hiding or something. Not that she had anything to hide but he looked like a stud and she was now a slutty school teacher.

She came running down the stairs in her bathrobe like a herd of buffalo as she said, "What the hell are you doing?" She said to Eric. "That's the man who's courting me and now, it looks like you slept over... in my bed... which you only wish... Jesus." She had not heard about Noah missing as she knew that she could not go after Ben like this...

She wasn't Bridget Jones...

Hell, maybe she should... no, she would wait.

"Courting you?" Eric repeated, "Wait, what? Ben's courting you?"

He shook his head, searching for his hat. Where had he put the damned thing. He found it on one of the tables and slipped it onto his head before heading for the door, "Well, look, I need to run. Something's up, and that man," he pointed at the door, "is mad as hell. I'll go talk to him. Why the hell didn't you mention he was courting you? And you accepted? Shitballs!"

Ben was already on his horse and headed out of town. If Noah wasn't here, he had to be on the road. Maybe at one of the ranches on the way to town. Maybe he hadn't made it to town. That storm had been intense.

He couldn't shake the feeling that something had gone wrong, and in the morning light, with last night's fury behind him, he was sick with worry. He couldn't help it. He shouldn't have sent Noah away in the storm... he shouldn't have let his anger get the best of him like that.

She was staring at Eric as he was getting his hat. “Well, he hadn't told his brothers yet and I thought that I would wait until he gave the go ahead.” Was this like a Facebook status? Right now, it was complicated. Kate sighed as she wrapped the bathrobe around her a little tighter. Eric would make it right... but then, he had to go and she assumed that it was something that was a little more important then her drama. “You better go talk to him.” She said as Eric was out the door of the school house and she went to go and lock it behind him.

She was so embarrassed... she really liked Ben and for him to think that she was being a tart. Well, hell... she went up the stairs to go and get dressed and washed up for the day. There were somethings to do...

She just hoped that word didn't spread like wildfire... but then, this was a small town...

---

It was later in the morning when Susan asked Mary if she noticed that something was wrong? Honestly, she was happy that she had not run into Noah... she knew that he was upset with her. And well, she was too... she felt like she meant it when she said that she hated him...

Well, it was like that until Mary told her that Noah had run off in the midnight of the thunderstorm and that his older brother was out looking for him... and that was when she really worried because, she knew that she was the reason...

As soon as she heard... well, she felt guttered... she went back to work but she was in a somber mood.

Eric caught up with Ben easily enough but his childhood friend wasn't in the mood to talk. He wouldn't talk about Kate, he wouldn't talk about why Noah had run off in the middle of a storm, really he wouldn't talk period. So they continued on in silence. It was late in the afternoon before they found Noah's mare. After that there was no way in hell Ben was going to stop his search. Eric only very reluctantly returned to town to rustle up a search party.

Every male who was willing was rounded up and sent off to look.

By evening it was clear Noah was gone.

Eric returned to town, heading for his office, hat in hand, shoulders slumped, heart heavy for the kid. He'd known Noah since the kid was born. He couldn't believe the kid was missing, just like that... and his heart told him if the kid was missing, he was probably gone because no way would he stay away willingly.

Ben didn't return to the ranch that evening, so Jesse approached Susan on his own. He felt she had a right to know what had gone down.

"Hey," he murmured when he found her out back with the laundry, "can we talk?"

The sun was just setting so he knew she needed to get the laundry down soon but he needed to tell her now, before he lost the will to.

Back
Top Bottom