Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Yearning Steer (Penner and AR)

RE: Yearning Steer (Penner and AR) Random Western Titles.

As they left the town limits Eric relaxed a little. It was nice to not have prying eyes watching, "Hmm... well, you say you're not coming out here to get married but you're quite young. You don't want children?"

As far as he knew that's what all women wanted. A man and children. And for their part men wanted sex. So it was fair trade off. He hadn't seen many who genuinely loved their spouses. As far as he could tell women loved their children, and men loved sex without reprimand.

He scratched at his mare's neck as they rode.

They might not have been interrupted if Ben hadn't walked in at that moment. He had intended to grab something quick to eat before heading out for chores but he paused at the sight of the girl. "Is she unwell?" He asked.

What was her name? Susan? Sharon? Without Kate there to push him to remember he'd already forgotten.

Mary looked up to see their employer as she was patting the younger girl's back gently like a mother would as she said, "She has been like this for a few days... I don't know what it could be." Well, Mary had some idea but she would not say. "I think that she will be alright... Mr. Wilson." She said as Susan dry heaved and then spoke. "I'm fine... I just ate something." She stopped as she started throwing up again into the bucket.

"It won't hurt to call on the Doctor, Susan." Mary said as she was petting the young girl's hair pulling it away from her face.

---

She was looking on ahead as she rode. "I don't really want to get married yet... I have been married and well, I have the freedom of a widow. Why would I want to have that taken away from me?" Kate mentioned with a smile. "I prefer if I get married it is because I am in love."

She had a feeling that would scare the Sheriff off. "You ask so many questions about if I want to get married. What about you, Sheriff? You are a bachelor and the Sheriff and no ladies have caught your eye?" She could play the game.

"You're relieved of your duties for the day," Ben said, "Both of you. I'll get the doctor."

He could have sent Noah, Luke or Jesse but as he headed out the door he knew he would go himself. It wasn't something he was proud of, but this was an excuse to, perhaps, stop and see Kate. That is, if the doctor was in town. If he was at one of the neighbors he would have no choice but to head back with the man.

Eric chuckled as she turned his line of questioning back on him, "Oh, plenty of ladies have caught my eye, none have kept it."

He knew a statement like that attracted some women, and scared others. The ones it scared weren't the type he wanted to tangle with. They were the type to fall in love and be hurt when he didn't return the feelings.

He pointed to a ranch off to the east, "The Statler's. I do believe they have three daughters, all of which are of age to attend school."

Mary looked confused when she was relieved her her duties but she supposed that she ought to care for Susan as she nodded. "Yes... I will put her to bed." She wondered if she should tell their employer that she was sure that the girl was pregnant. Well, she suspected it but it was not her business.

"Come along Susan..." She said when she knew that she was not getting sick anymore. Mary said with a concerned look as she helped her up.

Perhaps, she would asked the young girl if she thought that she might be. She was a pretty young girl and there were a few ranch hands who were there. Something could have happened.

---

Kate smiled as she said, "Well, is that not always the case." She mentioned as she rode on and looked at the landscape. "Oh, seems like a lot of children who will need to be taught... I should have an open house before school is set to start." She said.

"How long have you known the Wilsons?" She asked after sometime as she remembered that she had not opened up that one package. She had been so tired and went to bed. "Was the two oldest always so quiet?"

"Ben?" Jesse and Noah had been goofing off in the barn, taking a break from their duties and sitting in the hay loft while playing a game they used to play in their youth when Ben walked in.

"Have to head into town," Ben said as he claimed a mare from a stall and led her to saddle her up.

"What for?" Noah asked, curious.

"One of the maids is sick."

"One of the maids?" Noah repeated, and he thought immediately of Susan. Was she okay?

"We'll go," Jesse offered.

"No, you two stay here. Keep an eye on things. I'll be back soon," Ben said as he threw a blanket over the mares back.

"Who is it?" Noah asked, "Which one is sick?"

Ben glanced up, brow furrowing. "The young one," He answered, but he was wondering why it mattered and why his younger brother had turned so pale.

"All my life," Eric said easily, "and they've always been a bit quiet, though Ben got worse after the war. That Jesse, you know, he had a rough go... but now, these days, he's louder than his brother. Angrier too. I think it's only a matter of time before he leaves, truth be told."

Once Mary had Susan in the bed with a bucket beside the bed and some water to drink. She said, "Alright... Easy does it. I will go get some tea to settle that stomach." She soothed the young girl as she sighed. "You don't have a fever..." She said softly. "Susan... I hate to ask this but is there a chance that you might be with child?" Mary had not had children herself but she had two older sisters and so, she knew some things as the young girl looked away and Mary knew...

"Well, let me go get the peppermint tea..." Perhaps, ginger would be better for the girl but she went to the ranch house to go and make a few things for the girl. A doctor would confirm it.

---

"A rough go?" She blurted out as she said. "Well, the war makes sense... It was not an easy thing to live through... I nursed many hurt men during the war." She said, "It was... well." She thought of Ben and wanted to go to him but she knew that she had to wait for his next trip into town.

"Did you grow up on a ranch as well?"

As soon as Ben rode away, Noah dropped from the hay loft. He headed for the door but Jesse dropped down after him and grabbed him by the arm, "No."

"I'm just going back to my chores," Noah said quickly.

"No, you're not," Jesse said firmly, "You're going to check on Susan."

"So you know her name?"

"Leave her be, Noah."

"No! If she's sick I-"

"Just leave her be," Jesse repeated. He was sure he knew why the girl was 'sick' and he didn't want Noah bothering her until she was ready. He didn't want Noah scaring her off, because in the end that baby would be family and he didn't want to see it sent away because Susan thought she couldn't stay.

"Jesse's parents were killed in a fire," Eric said quietly, "he was found in the rubble, in the ashes. No one knows how he survived but I suspect he's always secretly been angry at himself for surviving. The Wilson's adopted him, when no one else would. They called him a demon child, a cursed child... of course these days few remember. He's proven himself to not be likely to set the town on fire or something equally heinous."

Eric sighed, "I did. Although I spent more time at the Yearning Steer than at my own home."

Mary walked out of the hut where Susan was keeping as she sighed. If there was going to be a doctor's visit then there would be the discovery of the pregnancy. Well, it was going to be hard for the young woman because to raise a child... Unless the father married her. Well, why would you buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?

She went towards the ranch house. As for Susan, as soon as Mary was gone. She curled up into herself and started to cry. Her life was falling around her and now, she was pregnant and Noah would be forced to marry her or she would be a single mother and sent away. And who would care, she was the daughter of a poor farmer who died and left her with nothing. She could even get a proper grave stone for him. There was only a wooden cross and she had wanted to use her wages to buy those proper stones for her Mama and Papa... And the baby brother who didn't live one day.

She didn't know what she was going to do...

---

Well, that was one of the saddest stories that she had heard as she was riding on her horse. "That is a rough go." She said quietly as she looked up at him. "No siblings?" She asked. "It would make sense since there are four of them." She said simply as she wondered how she was going to change the subject now.

"Fine," Noah jerked his arm free. He still left the barn, but headed off to check on the pigs.

Jesse watched him for a bit before returning to his own work.

It was a few hours before Noah circled back and snuck into Kate's hut. "Kate?" He hissed, worried that Jesse would see him but unwilling to leave her alone. He needed to see her, he needed to be sure she was okay.

"Nope, it was just Jesse. Of course now he's got three siblings," Eric grinned, "Don't be sad, things turned out pretty good for the kid in the end."

He was also considering how to change the subject, but something was niggling at him, "WHy are you so curious about the Wilson's? You heard about the Yearning Steer? Maybe got your eye on one of the boys? I mean, a girl couldn't do much better. Pretty sure all the women in town have tried to chase after Ben at some point."

Susan was in bed at that moment, the blanket had not been over her head. Her eyes were swollen and red from crying as she moved a little when someone came in. When she heard it was Noah's voice... Susan whimpered a little and tried to cover her head. "What do you want, Noah?" She whispered, her heart was hurting as she moved a little and looked at him but the blanket was up to her nose. "What is it? I'm not allowed to see you anymore." She whispered with a hiccup. She knew that Noah would only marry her if Ben told him to and she didn't want him to marry her because he had to. That would hurt more then if she had to leave.

"I am just a little sick. I don't want you getting anything..." She lied to him.

---

She looked over to him for a moment. "What's the matter? Are you jealous?" She teased as she shrugged. "They were very kind to me. I am only curious about them. I was telling the truth when I said I wanted to marry for love... I'm not a gold digger."

She thought of Ben as she thought about why he had kissed her? Was it because she flirted with him and was interested. "All the other girls in town have tried to pursued the oldest?" She felt a little jealous.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Noah asked. He didn't think anything of the 'not allowed to see you' comment because really they weren't supposed to see each other. Not like this anyway.

He moved toward the bed, "What's wrong?"

"Well, sure, he's just about the wealthiest man in the state, let alone the town," Eric said with a chuckle, "or hadn't you noticed?"

Clever girl, pretending she didn't know, or care.

"But I think they're hoping the younger boys will be easier to catch because Ben isn't much interested in women. Never has been."

She was certainly not alright as she slowly sat herself up but she cover her mouth with the blanker. "No... I'm not okay..." She whispered knowing that she was going to have to tell him the truth. "Noah... I don't know how to tell you this." She whispered, the look in her eyes being pure fear. "I am not sick... I'm pregnant." She was now holding her breath waiting for his reaction because she knew that it was not going to be happiness and joy. It was either going to be pure fear or it was going to be anger and she did not want to see either of that in his eyes. "I'm sorry..." She whispered to him. "I... understand if you don't want to... I can leave the ranch." She offered.

---

She knew of something... there was the large ranch and the employees and... "I noticed. I just don't care much about that sort of thing. I do quite well for myself. I had a bit of rough arriving here and they were kind to me." She said simply as she thought about Ben and how he was damn well interested in her, she knew from the last few days. She just thought it was kissing... as she smiled. "Well, perhaps like you... the right woman hasn't caught his eye." She shrugged.

Noah slid to his knees beside her bed, "Pregnant?" He repeated.

It had always been a possibility but he hadn't given it much thought, or at least not enough. He reached up to rub at his face. He was torn between fear for himself, and fear for her.

"We have to tell Ben," he said softly, "we have to... because you're not leaving. If... if you are pregnant that's my baby too... and... and I don't want you to leave."

He didn't want her to stay either. He wasn't ready to be a dad! But he was nothing if not a Wilson and you didn't abandon family, even if you were scared.

Eric might have responded but a rider coming up fast caught his attention. He held out his hand, "Ho!"

The rider slowed as he approached, coming to a stop near to them.

Ben had found the doctor and sent him on to the house and was just on his way into town with the excuse that he would get 'supplies' for the doc. The doc, of course, didn't need supplies but he had humored Ben's suggestion with a twinkle in his eyes that hinted he knew exactly why Ben was so eager to go to town.

"Ms. Williams... Eric," Ben said softly.

"Ben?" Eric frowned, "What are you doing out here?"

"Had to fetch the doc," Ben said, "just on my way to town to get him some supplies."

"Doc? Everyone all right?"

"Yes."

"That's what Jesse said..." She said quietly as she realized what she had said, "He came to see me and tell me that we were not to see each other and more like before." She explained as she closed her eyes trying not to cry. "I just know what your brother is going to say and I know you don't want to get married... I don't want to trap you." She said softly as she covered herself with the blanket as if she was trying to run away from the world and her life. It would be easier? She was old enough to have children but she also felt like a little girl. "I just... I don't know what to do, Noah..." She whispered.

---

She was happy to see Ben but she wished that they could be alone now... Eric seemed to always overpower the conversation. "Hello, Mr. Wilson." She said softly as she was watching him with a little smirk on her pretty face. "Is there anything that we can do to help?" She asked but really, she meant herself as she had her mare stopped even if the horse was itching for a good run. "I hope it's not another woman that fell into the trench." She blurted out trying to be funny but realizing that she wasn't really... "Sorry..."

"But..." Noah hesitated, "you don't have to tell them it's mine. You... you could say someone took advantage of you. Ben wouldn't ever punish you for that. If he thought you were forced, he'd take real good care of you. I know he would. WE don't have to tell anyone..."

He turned to face her, "Right?"

Eric laughed at her joke, "Clever girl. Do you need any help Ben?"

Ben's eyes moved between them. They were alone together... on a ride? He tried to figure out what that could mean but to him there was only one explanation. Eric was interested in her, had asked for her company, and she'd accepted which meant she was also interested in Eric.

"No," he said, "I can handle it. Excuse me."

She pulled the blanket down for a second and said, "Noah... I'm not going to lie to your brother that someone is took advantage of me." She said seriously. "He's going to think it was one of the ranch hands and if one of them is arrested." He was so stupid sometimes, she did not know what she was going to do. "And Jesse will end up telling him because he knows." She said with a frown. "I am not lying because you don't want to marry me."

It was a sin to lie like that.

---

She could see that Ben was upset, at least... She was sure that he was upset. Her eyes were watching him as he went pass her and she felt her heart aching a little. "I hope everything is alright." She said more to herself as she thought that she would make it up to him... Somehow.

"I don't want to marry anyone!" Noah blurted, "I just... I don't want you to go away either, Sue. There's gotta be some way... some way to figure this out. Are you sure? Are you really sure?"

Ben would make him marry her, no doubt about that. He didn't want to though. He really didn't want to.

That was odd. Eric watched Ben ride off with a small frown. Ben was always a bit of a wild card, but there'd been something different in his eyes, something almost like defeat.

"You know, if I didn't know better," He rested his hands on the saddle horn, "I'd think he liked you."

She blinked, she couldn't believe what she was hearing as she said. "Go away, Noah..." She said as she laid down on the bed and covered herself away from him. He didn't want this baby and he was being a damn coward about it as well. She closed her eyes. "Just... Go away. I don't want to marry you either. I would prefer to raise this baby on my own." She said seriously, she was so upset as she was trying to hide from the world. Susan couldn't believe that she had been so in love with this fool of a man.

"I hate you, Noah." She whispered.

---

"He does..." Kate looked at him as she said, "I'm sorry, Sheriff... I'm going to go after Mr. Wilson. Perhaps, another time." She said softly as she jumped the horse so that it would go after Ben in the right direction. She felt a little guilty and man, she wanted to go after him for that moment. Not because she wanted to be romantic but because she wanted to... Well, it was a little romantic.

"Ben!" She called as she moved herself so that her mare could go a little faster to catch up with him.

Noah frowned, "Don't say that..."

He did stand though, "We'll figure this out... somehow."

Reluctantly he left. He would tell Ben. He'd tell Ben and he'd figure out a way to make this work for everyone. Ben would understand, he could make Ben understand.

Eric's eyes narrowed as he watched her race off and honestly it seemed a little too... convenient. So Ben liked the girl, and she knew it? Interesting.

Ben looked back, brow furrowing, "Ms. Williams?"

He really had no idea why she was following. Had Eric upset her? It was possible, but it seemed to him they were well matched. Equally outspoken, equally talkative... Eric had a lot more in common with her than he did.

It wasn't the truth because she actually loved him, however she was so hurt inside that she wanted to be left alone. Susan was silent as she let him walk away. He should have tried to comfort her but he was scared like she was and that was what hurt the most. She closed her eyes and had a good cry because it was what she needed at that moment. Susan cried herself to sleep that night.

---

She pulled back on the reins as she watched Ben for a moment. "Let me go to town with you. This mare can handle it." She said as she said. "I just saw how you looked and... I am not interested in Eric. Not at all, he's too much like..." She was going to say Mark but he didn't know Mark. "I just want you to know that... We were only riding to see the surrounding ranches to get a handle on my surroundings. I've got a bad sense of direction..." She was talking too much again.

And as she rambled Ben found his lips tilting in the barest of smiles.

She was worried he'd get the wrong idea? Which, he had. He wondered just how 'he'd looked'. Was she really that good at reading him?

"You-" he hesitated, "You don't have to stop your tour, not for me."

She smiled at him as she pulled back her bonnet a little bit and said. "Alright... Well, it was really great seeing you and... I have not opened your little gift to me yet. I wanted to wait until I see you again." She mentioned to him with a bright smile. "I have thought about it a get times but I have had to stop myself." She mentioned to him with a grin. "Are you sure that you don't want me to go with you?" She asked as her mare was moving around a little bit.

"Sorry... It's stupid... I'm being stupid. I just kind of can't stop thinking about you and now, I'm talking too much."

Ben glanced back, Eric was moving steadily away, apparently content to go on his rounds alone. "No, it's fine. Come with me," he said.

It felt strange to just say what he wanted, but that's what he wanted. He wanted her to join him. He, somehow, missed her. Just a week ago he hadn't known what it was like to have her around, and even if she made his head spin, he didn't want to be without her. He wanted to hear her voice, he wanted to flounder as he struggled to keep up.

More importantly, he wanted to find somewhere private so he could kiss her again... And he knew that wasn't right, it wasn't how he should treat a lady but she was in his blood now, and he couldn't seem to shake her back out.

He was always so direct with what he was saying. And this was one of those times as she looked over her shoulder to Eric. There was a part of her that knew that she was being rude since he had offered to take her around on his route. She also wanted to go with Ben... Well, she would apologize to the Sheriff later on but she was a little suspicious that he might be suspicious of her. "Alright..." She said to Ben as she kicked her horse into action towards the village.

"Who's sick?" She asked with a curiously look to Ben as she was riding along with him. God, what was it about him that made her feel like she belonged in this time? He was just... Perfect.

Well, that was a lie but she liked them... A lot.

Ben mentally cursed. What was the girl's name? He coughed, uneasy because he knew Ms. Williams didn't appreciate the fact he didn't know the maid's names. "The maid... who served you," he said finally because there was no way around it. He'd forgotten her name.

He continued speaking in the hopes of distracting her from his terrible lapse in recall.

"She was sick this morning. The doc is on his way now to check her. I don't think it's anything serious but she's in my charge."

It was how he saw things. All of the help on his ranch were in his charge and he would care for them each as much as he cared for his own brothers. So long as they worked for the Yearning Steer, they would be safe.

Back
Top Bottom