Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Yearning Steer (Penner and AR)

RE: Yearning Steer (Penner and AR) Random Western Titles.

She looked over her shoulder for a moment when she was inside of the schoolhouse and Ben embraced her suddenly. Her eyes closed as she leaned a little back towards him as she felt him close to her. Kate did not move from her spot as she thought that he needed to be there with her there. "Are you tired?" She asked him as she waited for his reply. Her hand was on his hand as he was embracing her. She wanted to make sure that he got what he needed.

---

"We can't really afford to pay a maid when my Ma is doing that work..." She laughed. "We have two ranchhands... Randy and Travis." She said to him as she was smiling. "And we will have a third one if you decide to stay with us." She mentioned to him as she went to one of the big mares. "This is my horse, Georgia" She said to him, her hand patting the light brown mare.

"Yes," he admitted, "but I don't want to let you go."

He sighed. Because in the end he didn't know how to ask her if she'd let him stay with her. He was worried she'd think the wrong thing. And really he didn't want to compromise her honor... he just wanted to be near her.

"She's lovely," Sam followed, moving close to examine the large creature.

Two ranch hands? Why did that feel... wrong? He felt like there should be more. But why? He absently scratched the mares neck. "I must have lived on a ranch. This all feels... right. I wonder if I was a ranch hand somewhere else?"

She was a little worried for her own reasons, that was mostly because she did not want him getting the wrong ode that she let men stay in her room with her. Well, she had in the past a few times but that was 2015 and this was 1867. "Do you want to sit together or lay together for a little while perhaps?" She offered quietly as she was feeling out exactly what he needed or wanted from her at this moment.

She thought about what people needed when they were grieving and she was willing to at least try to help with that. "Tell me what you want right now." She whispered.

---

"Might want to talk to the local Sheriff or go to the nearest town and ask about the other local ranches. You might be from one of those." She said. "Do you think you worked with cows or horses?" She asked him with a smile.

"There's a few in the area... What else do you think you could be?" She asked with a smile trying to help him out.

"Please," Ben murmured, "I... I just don't want to be alone."

He knew it wasn't particularly attractive, but he couldn't lie to her. He turned her, leaning down to kiss her forehead, "I just... don't want to be without you. Right now. That's what I want."

What he wanted was Noah. He wanted his family to be back together. But she couldn't give him that. She could give him this... if she was comfortable doing so.

"A horse," Sam said flatly, "I think I might have been a horse."

He looked at her, grinning suddenly and widely.

/Smart ass./ He was probably a smart ass. "I wonder how long it will take me to remember..."

She was trying to understand his grief but she had never really known what it was like to lose a sibling. Sure, she technically had lost her parents, brother and friends but in her mind. They were still alive because she was convinced that she could return to the future. It had not really sunk in yet. Staying here was not absolute... But then, what would happen if she were to disappear again?

It would crush Ben...

"Let's go upstairs..." She whispered as she took his hand into her own. They were not going to do anything in the bed. It seemed that Ben just needed her to be there and she did not mind being there for him...

---

"Probably because you're a horse's ass right now." Rose fired back as she looked at him with her own grin. She had grown up working on a ranch with men. Her mother was trying to cling to the idea that her daughter would be a lady someday. Rose wasn't interested in any of that.

Being a lady was boring from the lessons that she had gotten growing up. "I hope it doesn't take long... You know, could knock you on the head a few times... Might ring a bell?"

Upstairs he pulled her onto the bed and into his arms and he was content to just lay there, holding her. He made no attempt to kiss, or touch, or tug off the clothes that stood between them... he just held her until he finally, blissfully, slipped into sleep.

He hadn't slept since Noah's disappearance, so when he finally succumbed, it was a heavy rest that would not be easily disturbed.

Sam laughed, a little surprised at her language but not bothered by it. IN fact, he kind of liked it. "Hey, hey! I have a delicate head, no knocking it!" He protested, holding up his hands.

But he was tiring, even if he hated to show it. He leaned on her mare, "MAybe we should head back?" He suggested.

She closed her own eyes as he was just hold her to him. Of course, it was a little uncomfortable because she was fully clothed. However, she did move a little so that she could get up and go make something to eat. After all, she was not tired. She put a blanket on top of Ben and leaned in to kiss his cheek. There was some food that could be heated and that was what she was going to go and do that at the moment. She did return with a bit of food for herself and a book to read by candlelight. She used a mirror so that there was a little more light. She didn't want to spend money on candles.

It was sometime when she finished and went downstairs to put her dish away. The entire time he slept as she went back to the bed but she was dressed in her nightgown. He only moved a little and then grabbed onto her again. And that was how Kate fell asleep.

---

"I don't hit boys..." She said with a smirk as she thought for a moment. "Yeah, we can head back." He had been out like a light for the last few days so... She guessed that it was understandable as she offered her arm and said, "Let's head back to the house and you can rest a little before supper." She said to him.

Ben woke late the next morning with his arm firmly around Kate's waist and his nose burrowed into the back of her neck. He sighed, relaxing his hold, realized his hand was pressed into her upper stomach and had to stop himself from jerking away. Soon she would be his bride and he could touch wherever... but for now he knew he needed to honor her. Hard as that would be.

Gods... had she always smelled this amazing?

Voices rose through the window, the town was already awake and on the move. He had never slept in so long before, at least not that he could remember. It was her... she had calmed him, filled him with such warmth he had slept comfortably.

Sam slid his arm through hers and honestly he thought he could walk on his own but it was just an excuse to touch her. He played up how weak he was feeling, "I wonder if there are pretty girls like you back where I'm from..."

The words were out of his mouth before he could stop himself from saying them.

She stirred a little when she felt him moving as she mumbled for him to go back to sleep since she was still tired. She did not know why she was so tired but for whatever reason... she was comfortable in the bed with him. Turning a little, she looked up at him with a few blinks before staring up at him. "Ben?" She whispered. "Oh yeah... you stayed over." She smiled as she curled into him a little more comfortably. It was nice that she was with someone who made her feel safe and warm.

"Go back to sleep." She said to him with a smirk but she had a feeling that he would need to be on his way. Well, he would have to try and sneak out perhaps?

---

Rose looked up at him with a raised eyebrow as she said, "Are you trying to be a smart ass?" She did not think that she was very pretty. There was probably prettier girls where ever he was from... "You think that you were a charming lady killer before?" She asked him with a unimpressed look in her eyes. "Charming the skirts off of unsuspecting girls with those boyish good looks?"

Ben cupped her cheek in his hand, brushing his thumb against the corner of her lips. He tilted her face, unable to resist pressing his lips to hers ... but it was a mistake because once he hated a taste... he wanted more. He rolled her over, pressing her into the mattress as he kissed her with all the hunger a man who had been celibate as long as he had been could muster.

Sam laughed, "Maybe I was... I don't know. But you are pretty, it's the truth."

They were nearing the house, and if her mother was still inside he knew he wouldn't be free to flirt with her further.

That had been a bit of a surprise but a welcome one as she was on her back with him on top of her as his lips pressed against hers. Oh, whatever it was about his kisses... she truly loved them since they were always a little rough. Like he was holding back something after all this time. And that was not something that she really minded. Her hand reached up so that she could touch his face but also so she could try to get him a little closer to her. "Ben..." She whispered against his lips, her eyes still closed. She wanted to say that she loved him which was the truth.

---

Rose thought that Sam was just teasing her about her being pretty. "Well, thank you... but you aren't going to charm me, pretty boy." She said with a smirk. "I'm smart... so you ought to give it up now." She said as she walked with him.

Ben sighed when she spoke his name, because he knew he needed to rein it in but he didn't want to. He so didn't want to. He ran his fingers into her hair. "We should find the preacher," he murmured, "say our vows... so I can bring you back here..." He didn't finish the sentence.

And do what?

He honestly didn't even know... but he was confident he could learn. And his body was pretty confident it could learn too.

"Pretty boy?" Sam repeated. He wondered what he looked like.

"Are you smart? How smart?" He asked, "Show me how smart you are..."

"And have sex?" Kate said bluntly. Hell, they didn't need a preacher at that moment... she was a hot blooded woman who did not really want to wait. "Well... we are going to get married anyways..." She said looking a little coy as she looked up at him. "However, if you want to wait... well, I am willing to do that for you." She lied. Now, she knew that he was a virgin but she did not think that he was ignorant of what to do. After all, the guy grow up on a farm. Now, she didn't exactly want that sort of sex.

She was biting her lip, not really caring how she was acting... "Really... it's whatever you are comfortable with."

---

"You are a bit of a pretty boy... not a bad thing. You are handsome but I can tell from that devious little smile that you are probably very good with the ladies." She shrugged nonchalantly. "How can I show you..." She said when he asked her to show him. She supposed that she knew who she was but that was a bit of a low blow for the guy. "I just know that I am..."

"Whatever I"m comfortable with?" Ben repeated, "No... it's you. It's all about you..." He sighed, kissing his way down her jaw then resting with his nose buried in her hair.

"I want you," he whispered.

Desperately. He didn't want to waste any more time. Life could steal her away at any moment.

Sam smiled, "That's enough... someone who wasn't smart would brag, but you just know what you are. I don't know what I am... pretty boy, devious... good with the ladies."

He shrugged, "I don't know... I can't know..."

She was kind of a slut if she was going to put it into her own modern terms. Kate knew what she wanted and she knew that she wanted him. However, she was also in 1867 and so, she was rethinking her own modern feminist ideals and thinking about what Ben wanted. Why did it have to be so complicated? Well, it certainly didn't have to be as she looked up at him with a smile. "It seems that we want the same thing." She said as she had her hand in his hair.

"Ben, it's about me and you." She said as she moved his head up a little so that she could kiss him. "I want you too."

---

"Well, we already established that you are handsome. So, that is a bit of a start. I don't know either if you are good with the ladies... pretty good at flirting. Almost had me blushing." She teased him as they were up the stairs to the house. "You could look at it as a blank canvas and become who you want to be? Like a white washed fence or something?"

And so, mid-morning, with the light pouring through her window, Ben gave in...

She was right, they were to be married and he wanted her so desperately... he needed her. No longer concerned what anyone would think, who would he tell?, he kissed her hard and reached to pull at her clothes. He had no idea how dresses worked but if he had to he'd tear the damn thing.

"I don't even know who I"d want to be..." Sam said, "but... thank you. I'm glad that you're here at least. I feel like... maybe you'll help. Maybe you'll become the paint that colors this white washed fence."

She was very patient with him that morning, he was lucky that she was in a nightgown and not in her full dress that morning. She was at his collar, unbuttoning his shirt as she kissed him. "Slow down, cowboy." She whispered to him as she smiled. "We don't have to rush this." She smirked a little as she said this. Her fingers opening his shirt before hands smoothed over his bare chest. She swallowed a little, his skin was heated and there was a bit of hair.

Damn, this was almost too perfect as she pulled at his shirt to come off. Of course, she was still clothed. "Kiss my neck." She whispered to him. "And under my ear." There was a bit of teaching here as she felt her heart beating quickly.

---

Well, damn. Rose could feel herself blushing a little over a man who did not even know who he was. "Well, I just hope that I can be of some help." She said as she went to the door and opened it. She was the one helping him and not the other way around. "Now, how about we get you to bed." She said with a smile as she wondered what sort of guy he was before. She felt like he had to be a charmer of some sort... It was one of the things that she could tell. It had to come natural... And he was so handsome.

He was a bit dangerous.

Ben groaned. Slow? But he would. He would do whatever she asked. He kissed her neck as she instructed, marveling at how soft her skin was. He kissed his way up her neck to her ear, "Can I touch you?" He whispered after kissing her ear. His hand lay on her stomach, but he longed to touch more. To explore all of her.

He kissed her ear again.

And just as his hand started to slide up, a loud noise interrupted the moment, shattering his nerves, and his desire.

Someone was at her door.

Sam was tired, desperately tired. He let her lead him back up to the bedroom and by the time they reached the door he was shaking.

He hated how weak he felt.

"I almost don't want to sleep," he admitted, "What if I forget all of this? What if I wake up and everything is gone again?"

She laughed a little when he asked if he could touch her, "Yes... That's the point. You can touch me as much as you want." Kate said as she started pulling off her nightgown. It was one of the older lace antique ones. Well, it was not exactly antique now but she did not think that is was considered very pretty.

It was for the time.

As his hand was sliding up her back... Well, there was a knock at her door downstairs and she cursed in a low tone as she sighed. "I think that we are going to have to finish this later." She whispered as she kissed him before pulling herself away and grabbing her nightgown to put back on as she grabbed her robe and went to the bedroom window to see who it was.

It was Eric. She wondered what he wanted as she opened the window. "Is something urgent, Sheriff?" She asked him from the window upstairs. She would need to get washed up and put her hair up if it was.

---

"I don't think everything will be gone again." She said to him with a calming smile. "Plus, if you have to start all over again then I get to make up anything to tell you." She was joking naturally. "What if you wake up tomorrow and you remember everything? Wouldn't that be amazing... I think if you are tired then you ought to sleep." She said as she helped him up on the landing and walked to the extra bedroom that he had been sleeping in. "Do you need me to tuck you in and read you a story?" She was trying to make him laugh.

Ben groaned when she pulled away, burying his head in the pillow, curling in on himself because good god... he had never been this turned on. And they had to stop? Had to wait? She would be the death of him. And there she was, moving about as if they hadn't been so close to removing the last of his 'innocence'.

Sheriff? He pushed himself up at that. Damn Eric. Why was he bothering her so much? Not that it mattered, soon she would have a ring on her finger and Eric would have no choice but to step back.

"Morning, ma'am." Eric looked up, tipping his hat at her, "The preacher's wife has invited you over for breakfast and she asked me to be the one to deliver the news."

He grinned, "So, consider this your invite. She's waiting now and I don't know about you but I"m mighty hungry!"

Sam clung to her hand. He really was afraid to go to sleep. He was afraid of the darkness in his own head where memories should be. "Would... would you stay? Just until I fall asleep?" He asked, because her presence was comforting. She was, to a degree, familiar. Comfortable. The only face he really knew at this point. And he wanted her near until he couldn't be aware she wasn't.

Well, now she was in a pickle because she had a man in her bed and she was being invited for breakfast and it is not like she could say no to the preacher's wife. Yet, she also wanted to finish what she started with Ben. She could tell the Sheriff that she had already eaten... "Ummm..." She said for a moment. "Could you tell her that I will be over in about a half hour?" She asked him with a smile wondering if she could pretend that Ben had just happened to stop by.

Once that was over with, she shut the window and looked over to him, "Want to pretend that you just happened by after we finish up here?" She asked wondering if they could finish up in a half hour. Well, the man was a virgin... She did not think he would last long.

She went over to the bed and sat down, "Where were we?" She smiled.

---

Rose watched him for a moment, seeing the fear in his eyes as her heart softened and she nodded. "Yes, I can stay here until you fall asleep again." She said to him with a smile as she went to help him into the bed. Once he was in the bed, she pulled the blanket on top of him so that he could get himself settled. Rose went to side in the chair that she had been in before as she picked up the book that she had been reading before."

Ben shook his head, "I can't..."

How could he when he knew she would be leaving to join the preacher's wife for breakfast? If it was anyone else he might have been able to indulge his desire, but even then he loathed the idea of finally experiencing this just to have her leave shortly after. He slid to the edge of the bed, reaching for her hand and lightly squeezing her fingers.

"It can wait... we can wait..."

He loathed waiting, especially now with the threat of death looming over his soul. If he lost her... he wouldn't. He couldn't. Nothing would happen to her. He had to believe nothing would happen.

He leaned in to kiss her cheek, "I'll go with you."

If Eric would be there, he wanted to be there. He shouldn't feel jealous but a small part of him was.

Sam was grateful for her presence as he curled up on the bed, pulling the blankets right up to his nose. For a bit he just watched her but slowly his eyes slid shut and soon after he was asleep.

Frowning a little, she nodded as she looked at Ben... it was a pity that someone had interrupted them... but he was right, there would be another time for the two of them. "You might have to pretend like you just came into town." She said with a smirk as she leaned in to kiss him quickly before moving away. She was going to need to get dressed... and he would have to leave the room.

The two of them a little awkward adjusted themselves as they sat on her bed together. Well, he only had to button up his shirt. "If you want to go and iron it... I got one downstairs..." She said. "I just need to get dressed." She said as she waited for him to leave the room.

Once he did, she got herself washed up and dressed one of the dresses that she had tailored from Miss. Matthews wardrobe. That was something that was on her mind, what had happened to Ms. Matthews and where exactly had she ended up if all of her clothing was here. Was she dead?

Well, her mind went to other things as she finished up her dressing and she looked in the full length mirror. She missed having make up but, she did look pretty... if only she had mascara and an eyebrow pencil...

She went down the stairs as she looked around for Ben.

---

She stayed with him until he fell asleep before waiting a few more moments before she got up and went to the door so that she could leave him for a few hours. She did return to the kitchen so that she could tell her Mom what happened before she was out the door. She wanted to ride her horse and go help with the ranch.

Iron? Ben didn't bother with things like that. HE gave himself time just to calm, pacing through the 'school room', picking up books even if they meant little to him. He was surprised at himself for going as far as he had, but now that he'd gone that far he wanted, desperately, to go farther. He loved her. He knew it as surely as he knew anything and he wanted this with her.

But it wasn't right, not when she would have to leave to have breakfast with the damn preacher's wife. It was either the worst luck or divine intervention that brought Eric to their door when he'd come.

He looked up as Kate returned, setting the book down that he'd lifted and closing the space between them. He grabbed her by the waist, pulling her into himself and kissing her. He hadn't intended to do that, but when he saw her the need overwhelmed him.

Sam dreamed of the water, of darkness, of shouting... of fear and pain. He woke with a shout, hands flying to his neck. But he wasn't in the water, he wasn't drowning. He looked around, desperate to remember his surroundings and he did. He was still in Rose's home, and while he couldn't remember who he was, he at least remembered this.

He slid off the bed, rubbing at his face, sighing heavily. He was tired, and weak and overwhelmed but earlier he'd played his injuries up a great deal so he could hold onto Rose. Now that he was alone he stood and walked to the window to look out.

It was strange, but he felt a stirring of familiarity when he did. He must have lived on a ranch before. It was all too familiar.

She had smiled at him as she was coming down the stairs in her green and black dress, her hair pinned up as he came towards her. Well, she certainly had not expected that. However, it was something that was certainly invited as she leaned a little closer to him. Lord, they could not keep their hand of each other. They were going to have to get married soon... that is if they made it to the wedding.

Pulling away from him for air, Kate said. "Easy there, tiger... I know I'm irresistible but we aren't going to make breakfast." She laughed before kissing his cheek and moving to go towards the front door. "You should go out the back... pretend like you just got into town..." She suggested.

---

Rose was out in the fields until it was dusk and she was riding back with her Pa, Tom and the two ranch hands so they could all have dinner that night. She had thought a little about Sam... but she was also really busy as well.

As she rode back, she thought about if he was awake yet and if he was alright.

It had been Rose's mother, Mrs. Waters who came up to check on Sam as she said. "Oh, you are up... want to come and help peel potatoes for dinner?"

Back
Top Bottom