Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Yearning Steer (Penner and AR)

"Well, yes... I do still want to teach." She said softly. "At least until they get another teacher? Or...." She supposed if she got pregnant. Oh god, what was she doing? Thinking of babies? Living in this time with him? She wanted to but she did also need to go home to her own home... her own time. What was she trying to do here?

"I love you, Ben." She said to him knowing that he was not too happy but she did not want to part of sour terms as he leaned up and gave him a kiss on the lips. It was a short peck as she pulled away knowing that he might want more but he did have to be on his way.

"I will see you later, Ben." She smiled at him as she went to the door of the schoolhouse so that she could continue with lesson plans and be there for anyone who was enrolling. She had 14 students so far and had enough room for 16 more. It would be a busy class but she would try her best.

---

Rose went up and sat herself down on the fence beside him. "I think I would like to go to one of the bigger cities... like New York or Boston but only to visit... but I like it hear on the ranch too. It's quiet and pretty... Ma and Pa are from a big city and said that life was hard." She explained. "Life is hard here but you are in charge of your survival... not others." Rose mentioned.

"Do you know where you would go?"

Sam shook his head, "I don't know... I like it here. It feels good here and really I'm not too interested in anywhere else."

He reached out, brushing his hand against hers, then playfully pushing at her arm.

"You ever kissed anyone before?"

He rode all day before reaching the creek and following the creek he eventually came upon a camp. He stopped his horse at quite a distance, leaving it tied to a tree before he headed on foot towards the camp. He could hardly believe his eyes. A genuine Indian camp this close to town? It was unheard of and he wasn't too sure what he would do about it.

Rose was sitting on that fence as she looked over at him for a moment with confused look on her face as she looked at him and said, "Did you want to kiss me? Is that why you are asking me?" She had a look of utter confusion as she said this. She was sure that he was joking... He simply had to be joking with her.

Right?

"Stop teasing me like that, Sam." She said as she nudged his arm lightly in a joking sort of way but she felt incredibly embarrassed.

---

Her things had been stolen from her while she had been on her journey to be a teacher in a remote town of Pawnee, Oklahoma. She had moved there from Washington DC after the war because they had been looking for teachers for the children out there. There was also a part of her that hoped to find a husband but she had always been considered plain because of her spectacles. Not that they did her much good since they were broke after the bandits had robbed her... And if he had not been for the kind hearts of this Indian tribe. Well, she would be positively dead... Probably died of heat stroke from lack of water...

She was dressed in their garb since she had had only one set of clothing... They had stopped to set up camp before they would continue towards the Frontier so that she could probably reached the town that she would teach at. Of course, she would have nothing.

She did hope for kindness of the town on her... Catherine Matthews was not a thin woman, she was robust as some would call it. Although, she had lost some of that in her travels.

Her hair was auburn but had been bleached by the sun and her eyes were green... she had not been the one to notice that someone was approaching but it was others in the tribe as they were alerted. The first thing to do was for her to hide so the white man would not think she had been kidnapped.

"Is that a no?" Sam asked with a laugh, "I was just asking! It's an innocent question. Innocent like me..."

He grinned at her, leaning forward slightly so he could watch her face more easily. In a way, he supposed, he did want to kiss her. It was ridiculous and stupid and he wouldn't but she as a pretty girl and he'd have to be blind not to be curious.

Something about her attitude was just really attractive to him. She was a little rough around the edges, but he liked it. He hopped off the fence and held out his hand, "Come on. We should get back before your dad thinks I am necking you... something tells me if he gets that idea I'm dead."

Eric held up his hands as he approached. "Hello there," he called, "I come in peace."

God he hoped they spoke English. This would be an awkward encounter if they didn't. He caught a glimpse of the pale skinned, auburn haired female before she was ushered into a tent and his eyebrows shot up but he managed to stay calm. Freaking out wasn't going to help the situation.

"So uh... Chief? Can I talk to the Chief?"

He had very little experience with these tribes but he'd heard horrible stories and honestly he was questioning his own sanity. Maybe approaching them on his own hadn't been the best choice but he couldn't exactly turn and run now.

She slipped off the fence as she took his hand before crooking her finger a little at him as she looked up at him before pulling him down for a quick kiss. It was a little awkward because it was her first kiss and she really did not know what to do. "My Daddy might kill you if he knew that we kissed..." She said as she pulled away. "We should go in..." Rose said simply with a little smirk as she offered her arm for him so that he could take it and go inside the house. Hopefully, in a few days... he would be well enough and perhaps get his memory back.

Rose was unsure if she wanted that.

---

It had been a male native american who he had approached first. The young Indian gave him a long look before saying in English. "I can get the Chief... is there something that you want?" He asked him. Shiriki was one of the protectors of the tribe. It was certainly not a non violent tribe. The passive tribes were the ones to died by the hands of the white man... they were a race that he did not understand and he certainly did not understand why they were helping the white woman go to this town. She ought to become part of their tribe in his opinion. However, he was a loyal follower of their tribe Chief... and a strong warrior.

He knew English because he knew that he would have to communicate with the whites... their assumptions that they did not speak English was sad... when they were the ones who refused to learn his language. "We are not bothering your people..."

Sam grinned at her, surprised by the kiss, but he wasn't going to complain. It had been a little awkward, but sweet in a way and honestly he wanted to kiss her proper, maybe throw her down in a pile of hay and teach her all kinds of things... of course, she might teach him. Honestly he didn't know what he knew about that aspect of life, but he was eager to learn.

"Might need help up the stairs," he said once they were inside and god he hoped her brothers didn't offer to help.

"No, you're not," Eric agreed, "I just want to have a quick chat. That's all. Just to clear up a few ground rules. But I'd rather discuss that with your Chief, if you don't mind."

He rested his hands on his hips and smiled, but the smile quickly faded because honestly he'd heard stories that these people saw smiling as an act of aggression. For Eric smiling was a way to indicate he was friendly but he had no desire to make them feel threatened so he kept his lips straight.

"Are you guys back?" Her Pa called from the kitchen as Rose said, "Yes, Pa... I am going to help Sam up the stairs and to bed." She said innocently enough as her father called back. "Well, as long as Sam knows that if he touches you then he won't be able to get out of bed for a few months." The rest of them laughed at the table as her Mother rolled her eyes.

Rose did the same as they were at the staircase. "Alright... let's go." She said encouraging.

---

Shiriki looked at the white man and scoffed before saying, "Yes... I do mind." He turned and went to go and get the Chief who was in his own tent. It only took a few minutes before a man perhaps in his mid forties came to greet the Sheriff. "Good Afternoon..." He said in his own perfect English as he went on to say. "Is there a problem?" Although, they could fight... they also did not want to bother the white people. Only to live their own life. They were bringing the white woman to a town that she could teach at. And for the time, she was teaching the children of his tribe to read and write. He could speak English but he did not know how to read and write it... since he never got a formal education of the white man.

They had their own system of teaching. However, reading and writing was important since these whites seemed to speak with forked tongues. They always lied and made empty promises.

Sam wasn't laughing. He was horrified, really, because he /had/ been thinking of touching her. He let her 'guide' him up the stairs, but really he didn't need the help anymore. And once in his room he let out a low whistle, "Holy. Your dad is terrifying. Honestly... I was hoping to kiss you again but now, well, I value my life thank you."

"No, no problem," Eric said, "There's a town to the North and I"m the Sheriff there. The people were a wee bit nervous when they heard of you coming this way so I thought I'd come on down and have a chat with you. See where you stand."

He paused, "Where are you coming from then? Where are you heading?"

Because if they were just passing through, and if he believed them when they said it, he would ignore them. He had no desire to get into a war with these people.

She looked over to him for a moment as they were in his room. "Well, he is not going to know over a quick kiss." She shrugged her shoulders a little. "You would only get in trouble if you got caught." Rose didn't get caught because she thought that she was smart. "So, are you going to kiss me or not?" She asked him with a little smirk.

---

"We are coming from the East." The Chief said simply. "We are travelling North." He said simply as he was looking at the Sheriff. "I don't see how people are nervous. We mean no harm." He said. "We are looking for a place to settle after we were moved by the white man. Again." His tone was a little hostile to the Sheriff.

Sam grinned and moved close. "You know... I don't know if I know what I'm doing, so if it's really bad, you gotta give me another try. Right?"

He reached out, gently grasping her wrists. He didn't wait for her answer, leaning down, stopping when their lips were a breath apart, pausing just a moment, then lightly pressing his lips to hers. He pulled away, then leaned in again but this time kissed her with a bit more confidence.

Eric winced, "Yeah..." he sighed, hands still on his hips, "Well... how far north? We have a town to the north here and... I mean, honestly I wouldn't care where you set your roots, doesn't matter to me so long as you keep to yourself but I'm not so sure the townsfolk would feel the same."

He hated having to say it even, but he hoped the Chief understood his point. /Hopefully farther north than the town/... much farther North.

"I don't know what I am doing either. I gave you my first kiss." She admitted to him as she looked up at Sam. Her heart was beating fast as she watched him moving closer to her. He reached out and grasped her wrist and then... there was the pause before he finally kissed her lips. And before it had even started, it had ended.

Rose was about to protest the kiss being too short until he kissed her again and she leaned into the kiss this time.

---

The Chief said, "We will be going north for a little while to help out a white woman who was robbed by other white men." He said. "Then, we would like to settle near the town." He said simply. "She is a teacher and the tribe's children will learn there." He explained. "We will be out of the way once young have learned." He explained.

Sam released her right wrist so he could reach up and cup her cheek in his hand. He pulled away, smiling, "Well?" He asked softly, "Terrible? If your dad wasn't downstairs... we could practice but..."

He pulled back, releasing his hold on her completely and resting his hands in his pockets, "Well, I value my life... even if I don't remember it."

Eric rubbed at the back of his neck. "Goddamn," he murmured. This was bad news. Real freaking bad news, "Listen... I uh... why don't you settle here for now? I-wait... white woman?"

He'd seen her, but for a bit he thought maybe he had imagined it, "You have a white woman with you? And she was robbed? May I... see her? Speak to her?"

"I thought that it was... nice." She shrugged. "Guess that you are going to have to try again a few times?" She said, "Then... maybe you need to try and court me before you get anymore kisses from me?" Rose tucked some of her hair behind her ear as she said, "You are too charming for your own good, Sam." She said as she was suddenly feeling like she was being silly and stupid.

"I should go... Good Night." She said abruptly as she turned and went towards the downstairs and went down the stairs really fast.

---

He looked around for a moment and said, "There are no trees or a river... there is a river to the north of your little town. We will settle there." He said to the Sheriff. "Yes, are you hard of hearing?" The Chief said with a laugh. "She is a teacher and she was robbed by white men. We found her wandering around with nothing... she has been teaching the people to read and write. We are bringing to Pawnee safe." He said with a smile before nodding.

"Yes, you may talk to her." He looked at one of his warriors as they went to go and get Ms. Catherine Matthews from the tent. She was dressed like them as she was brought to the Sheriff. She was smiling and talking with one of the other natives.

"Good Afternoon." Catherine said as she said, "I'm Catherine Matthews. I am traveling with this tribe to Pawnee. I got robbed a few weeks ago. Lost my horse, clothes... everything... and they had been so kind to me. I have not bee kidnapped." She said seriously if the man thought that.

Sam ran his hand over his head after she left. What the hell was he thinking? But there was just something about her, and honestly ... well, he just couldn't help thinking of kissing her. Maybe he'd been a real ladies man? Judging by how easily that had just gone down, he must have been.

He dropped onto the bed, grinning from ear to ear.

It was a dangerous game, her father would probably send him packing if he found out... but, court her? Yeah, he could do that.

Crap. Eric thought as they waited for the white woman to be brought and when she introduced herself he found it curious that she felt the need to point out she hadn't been kidnapped. Either she felt she had to say it because her captors were right there, or she really hadn't been.

She looked healthy enough, and he could see no obvious wounds, so he held out his hand, "Sheriff Eric Brennan, ma'am... did... you say Catherine Matthews?"

Well, that was a familiar name.

"And... you're a school teacher? Did I understand that properly?"

Rose went to the front door and called that she was going to the stable... she needed to cool herself off and she was going to go and brush down the horses and feed them to do so. She was being a completely silly... a fool who thought that a boy was handsome. Perhaps because she didn't get to see many boys out here at the ranch...

---

She adjusted her broken spectacles as she was looking at the Sheriff. "Of what town?" She asked curiously since she did not really know where they were. However, she knew that they had to be close to Pawnee. "Yes, I am a school teacher named Ms. Matthews. I was hired by the town of Pawnee. I am to report there. I was suppose to a few weeks ago but... I was rather weak when I was found." She smiled. "Am I close? I would like to get there as soon as I could."

She was very formal and polite as she said, "Is something the matter?"

In the morning Sam felt stronger. He got out of bed without anyone having to retrieve him and headed out to help with the morning chores. He found Rose's brother and helped with feeding the horses, brushing them down, before the sun had even risen he'd done more work than he knew was possible but it felt /good/, right even. As if he was used to it, or meant for it or something.

He kept an eye out for Rose but didn't see her at first. It was a little awkward because he couldn't remember her brother's name and was feeling a bit too shy to ask and he was hoping if she showed up she'd give him the name.

Eric breathed out long and slow. He glanced at the Chief, "Mind if I talk to her alone?"

He waited until they were alone before he spoke, "Ms. Matthews, you don't happen to have anything on your person that could prove your identity, do you? The thing is... well, there's a woman in town already claiming to be the Ms. Matthews we hired, and sent for... My name is Eric Brennan, I am the Sheriff of Pawnee and, well, I kind of need to know if you really are the very same woman I thought had already arrived."

The day had started off normal, she was up before the sun and working on the chores around the ranch. There were chickens to feed and then she had to collect and clean the eggs. Also, there was other chores like milking the cows and bringing it in. There were jobs that she did and then ones that Tom did and they traded every week. She had a pail in her hands as she was going to get the milk when she saw that Sam was helping Tom.

"Good Morning." She said in a chipper voice as if nothing had happened the night before. "How are you feeling, Sam?"

"What about me..." Tom muttered as she rolled her eyes. "You didn't fall in a river... you're fine, Tom."

---

"I got robbed of everything... they took my horse, books, clothing... there should be a box of things that I had sent here. There's some books with my signature in it... I could show you mine and see it match up?" She suggested brightly. "Oh... and this locket." She said as she pulled out a gold chain with a heart on it before opening it up. "And... have one bank note that was in my pocket." She said. "That is really all that I have on me." She said with a tilt of her head. "Someone is pretending to be me? Really? That's so... who would do that? I must see her at once..." She said with a frown.

Tom! Sam knew he'd figure the name out if they could find her. He grinned, "I'm good, thanks for asking Rosie." The nickname came easy.

He hurried over to her, trying to take the pail, "Let me help. We're finished anyway, right Tom?"

Eric shook his head, "I think it would be best if we don't tell her we know... not right off the bat. If she took your place chances are she's in league with the men who robbed you and honestly I'd like to track them down, Miss. If you don't mind, I'll take you back to town but for a little while, maybe we can say you're my cousin, come to visit? Just until I can figure out who this impostor is working with? I am the Sheriff, after all, and it's my job to ensure the town is safe and I'm afraid if there are men like this nearby, I need to put a stop them."

He also wanted to know what the other 'Kate' was up to. She hadn't gone to all this trouble for nothing.

Rose glared at Sam when he called her, 'Rosie.' She disliked that name greatly and he knew it too. Sighing, she said. "I'm just going to milk the cows... you don't have to come along." She said as Tom shrugged. "I'm good here... Sam helping made it faster so I am going in for a sleep before breakfast." He said as he shrugged and went about his way with his things. "Help her, Sam... I want breakfast quicker."

Rose rolled her up heavenward as she went along her way, not really waiting for Sam to come tagging along after her. "Don't call me, Rosie." She said when Tom was a fair distance away.

---

"No women robbed me... it was only men." Catherine pointed out. "I still don't understand that there is a woman who is pretending to be me... that is so odd." Why would another woman take her identity? She listened to his suggestion. "I can not live with a man that isn't my husband..." She said almost in shock that he would suggest that. "And even if you say that we are cousins... they get married all the time. Unless you have a wife and children, then I suppose that would do well." She said as she paused and looked to the Sheriff. "Why would you not confront the woman right away?"

Sam smiled, "Don't like Rosie? I think it's cute... like you."

He reached out, but he knew he couldn't be too bold, not out in broad daylight, so he just let his fingers brush against hers. "I'm starting to feel better, you know. About being here... about not knowing who I am. I think I'm going to enjoy becoming a new me. And... I think a large part of that is going to be thanks to you."

Eric rubbed at the back of his neck, "Well, we'll find you a place to stay that isn't with me but your cooperation in this little white lie would be greatly appreciated. If I just arrest her she isn't going to be as likely to tell the truth. BUt if I can get close to her, earn her trust, I might get her to fess up without having to force the issue."

He paused, "Please... will you agree to help me bring down the people who've stolen your life?"

Rose frowned as she was going a colour that could be called 'rosie' as she was with Sam. "It's just something that I was called as a child and I am not one anymore..." She explained. "I hate being called it because I feel like I will always be seen as little Rosie who doesn't know how to ride a horse or do anything on the farm and I think I have proven my worth." She looked to Sam for a moment. "You can only call me Rosie when we are alone... if you do when we are with people. I will kill you." She wouldn't really but she did give him a look as if she did.

Her fingers brushed against his a little. "Thank to me?" She asked him with a curious look. "I didn't really do much... I only kissed you and... helped you around a little."

---

Catherine was not looking so sure about whatever the deal that she was going to cut as she looked over her shoulder at the Native Americans and said. "Alright, I can help you..." She paused with a little smile. "However, I want the tribe to be able to settle close to the village... somewhere that they can call home and the government won't move them around. "Then, I will help you bring down these people... and the woman who took my life." She said as she glanced at him. The tribe had told her about how they had had to move so many times and she wanted to help them as much as she could possibly.

"Is it possible?"

"You were there when I woke up, making me feel safe, comfortable... and you've been with me ever since," Sam said, "without you, I don't think I'd feel like I do. So, thank you..."

He leaned in. "Rosie," he whispered.

He grinned as he pulled away, "Now... about those chores..."

"I... I can arrange to let them move close to the village, I can't promise I can keep the government from bothering them. I don't have that power, Miss. But I can promise I will do my best. As long as they are peaceful, I will do everything in my power to ensure they have a safe place to live."

Eric held out his hand, "We shake on it?"

She felt her cheeks brighten a little more when he called her, 'Rosie.' It certainly did not make her feel like she was a little girl but a woman. She swallowed a little as she looked to Sam and said, "I am certain that if we were in similar situations that you would have been kind to me?" She suggested as she felt a little awkward at the moment. "Yes, the chores..." She said as she was following him a little to him as she watched him with a smile. "I still think you would be completely charming to me..." She smirked at him as she was saying this to him.

---

Catherine slowly nodded as she thought about promises that the natives had gotten in the past. She could only give them this for the time being. "We can shake on it but you will need to explain to the Chief about this. Or at least allow them some land. Suppose they might not like the idea that I negotiated this." She thought for a moment before putting out her small hand to shake his own.

"There is one problem. I have only one set of clothing since they took them and this woman apparently has the rest of my clothing and belongings as well." She said with a frown.

---

Susan was working around the house now, even if she was pregnant. She still had work to do and wanted to keep herself busy before her mind went crazy from the worries of the future. She was honestly afraid of what could happen when it came down to it.

She had not really talked to Jesse for a little bit and she certainly did not feel like she was family... Not quite yet. If anything... There was a sense of mourning and Luke who was usually chipper seemed upset.

There was no Noah... He was gone and it was... Depressing.

Mary was in the kitchen as Susan was cleaning the upsets as she came to Noah's room and decided to enter... Only for a few moments. She thought that perhaps, she needed to say good bye?

By the time Rose's mother called them in for breakfast the chores were done. Sam followed Rose up to the house, but as they stepped inside his smile faded. Because her father was there and the man scared him, especially now that he'd kissed Rose not once but several times and honestly right now he just really wanted to kiss her again.

It wasn't right, and he knew it. He was supposed to be recovering, and these people were kind enough to help and here he was wanting to take advantage of their daughter? It definitely wasn't right...

And he felt guilty.

"I will buy you clothes," Eric said with a smile, "thank you. I appreciate this. I know you've been wronged, ma'am... and that last thing you need is more drama but I really want to figure out what's going on here and this is the only way. So..."

He hesitated, "Do you want to ride back with me? We'll wait for the evening, ride in under darkness... make sure no one sees you in... well, your current get up. Not that it's bad but... it would raise a lot of questions."

Jesse might not have been inside but he'd managed to twist his wrist while working on the fences and was in the living room trying to wrap the injury before Ben could wander in and witness his injury. He glanced up in time to see Susan heading into Noah's room, "Susan?" He called up, "Can I... do you have a moment?"

Rose on the other hand was certainly not feeling guilty since she had kissed him and sure, she should probably not do that but it was a bit of fun between two teenagers. If it didn't go further then... they didn't have to worry... right?

Sitting at the breakfast table, Sam was seated beside her and beside her father who was at the head of the table. "All the chores done?" He said as his wife was going around the table and giving food to everyone as Tom nodded. "Yeah..."

Rose smiled and said, "All done."

"Good." Their father said as he looked to Sam and said, "And you, young man? Are you ready enough to help out in the fields with the cattle or are you going to need a few days of light duties." He said thinking that there was no shame in him not being well enough yet.

---

Catherine looked down at her clothing and said, "Well, I do have the clothing that I was wearing when I was robbed. They did not strip me down to my undergarments." She said, "It is only because I had one set of clothing that I was given this." She said with a smile and the truth was that these clothing were so much more comfortable. "I could change if that would be preferred." She mentioned as she glanced at the tribe. There was a little of regret that she had to leave them.

"And I am only doing this because I want my life back... and my things..." She mentioned as she thought about this woman pretending to be her. She wanted to confront her and ask her why she was doing this. It was so wrong to take over someone's life.

---

She seemed to be shaken out of her trance as she looked over to the living room and then closed the door and went down the stairs and over to see Jesse. "Yes, is something the matter?" She felt a little awkward with the man that she was suppose to be marrying in a few days. They had hardly spoken as she went and stood before him. "Do you want to wrap your wrist for you?" She asked as she was offering to help.

Back
Top Bottom