Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

What game are you playing now?

Yakuza 0 through Game Pass on XBOX.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHY DID I MISS OUT ON THIS?!!
I'll be honest, I asked myself the same question after buying it on a whim.

Now Yakuza 0 is among my favorite games of all time. Don't think anything has the same depth and dynamic storytelling it offers, or the plain old fun factor associated with it.

I received SMT V as a gift so I have slowly been working my way through that, also got Moonlighter, Bloodstained : Ritual Of The Night and another old favorite of mine, No More Heroes.

I cannot stress how bonkers this game is. One second you're bringing coconuts to a juice stand, the other you're fighting a schoolgirl assassin or a postman cosplaying as a superhero.

Archvale on the Nintendo Switch. Delightful old-school Zelda-esque bullet hell with a customizable hero.

I'll be honest, I asked myself the same question after buying it on a whim.

Now Yakuza 0 is among my favorite games of all time. Don't think anything has the same depth and dynamic storytelling it offers, or the plain old fun factor associated with it.

One thing I've noticed is that it started out on an incredibly slow burn, but when it starts to get hotter and hotter, all you can do is just SCREAM.

Without spoiling anything, I don't think I can recall a time in my life that makes me genuinely care for or get emotionally attached to these characters like Yakuza 0 does. I know it's a set up for the first game (numerically speaking), but when shit gets real, you know it. It could very well be because of how tightly woven the story is, maybe it's also the soundtrack that conveys the weight of the situation at hand, or whenever you change stances for either Kiryu or Majima or when you land the final blow on a boss character that just fucks their shit up royally, I don't know.

But the one thing I do know full well for a fact is that this game just hits all the right notes. I love it that much.

One thing I've noticed is that it started out on an incredibly slow burn, but when it starts to get hotter and hotter, all you can do is just SCREAM.

Without spoiling anything, I don't think I can recall a time in my life that makes me genuinely care for or get emotionally attached to these characters like Yakuza 0 does. I know it's a set up for the first game (numerically speaking), but when shit gets real, you know it. It could very well be because of how tightly woven the story is, maybe it's also the soundtrack that conveys the weight of the situation at hand, or whenever you change stances for either Kiryu or Majima or when you land the final blow on a boss character that just fucks their shit up royally, I don't know.

But the one thing I do know full well for a fact is that this game just hits all the right notes. I love it that much.
Y0 is peak Yakuza/RGG for me. It's GTA but without that component that always made it hard for me to immerse myself in the world, sure the activties were fun...but I think that if a game has me procrastinating for 15 hours before I even get to meet the co-protagonist, it's doing something right. And I did just that, explored Kamurocho and Sotenbori because I wanted to take in the setting itself, not just mash through the plot. I was afraid the game would end, something few titles get me to do nowadays. Whether it's the combat, music or the really detailed overworld, I can't tell.

It sets up Kiryu and Majima for...basically the rest of the series, and even if you never even touched Kiwami 1/2 or the other entries, after spending so many chapters, side stories and hours raging at minigames (as an addition, fuck Mahjong and Batting Cages) you really get attached to these two dramatic gangsters you play as, laugh at how crazy the plot is, and get to hear some very solid exposition. I was 100% laser-focused on every line the NPCs said from start to finish, and it paid off very well (though the cutscenes can drag on).

Think everyone into text-heavy games should at least give it a shot, I got people who aren't exactly into RPGs hooked on Y0, it's like crack in videogame form for me and I really cannot stress what a great experience it is, in style and storytelling. The fact I'm writing an essay on this thread is proof of that, seriously : play it.

Also, what other game allows you to help out "totally not Steven Spielberg" shoot the Thriller clip for a fake MJ?

Y0 is peak Yakuza/RGG for me. It's GTA but without that component that always made it hard for me to immerse myself in the world, sure the activties were fun...but I think that if a game has me procrastinating for 15 hours before I even get to meet the co-protagonist, it's doing something right. And I did just that, explored Kamurocho and Sotenbori because I wanted to take in the setting itself, not just mash through the plot. I was afraid the game would end, something few titles get me to do nowadays. Whether it's the combat, music or the really detailed overworld, I can't tell.

It sets up Kiryu and Majima for...basically the rest of the series, and even if you never even touched Kiwami 1/2 or the other entries, after spending so many chapters, side stories and hours raging at minigames (as an addition, fuck Mahjong and Batting Cages) you really get attached to these two dramatic gangsters you play as, laugh at how crazy the plot is, and get to hear some very solid exposition. I was 100% laser-focused on every line the NPCs said from start to finish, and it paid off very well (though the cutscenes can drag on).

Think everyone into text-heavy games should at least give it a shot, I got people who aren't exactly into RPGs hooked on Y0, it's like crack in videogame form for me and I really cannot stress what a great experience it is, in style and storytelling. The fact I'm writing an essay on this thread is proof of that, seriously : play it.

Also, what other game allows you to help out "totally not Steven Spielberg" shoot the Thriller clip for a fake MJ?
Yakuza 0 is in my opinion the best in the series. The story is legitimately heartbreaking at points, especially during Majima's chapters. And holy fuck is it goofy. I seriously couldn't stop laughing when the Miracle Johnson side quest happened.

Yakuza 0 is in my opinion the best in the series. The story is legitimately heartbreaking at points, especially during Majima's chapters. And holy fuck is it goofy. I seriously couldn't stop laughing when the Miracle Johnson side quest happened.
Miracle Johnson had me, quite literally, howling at the screen for the duration of the quest. Then again the game excels at being goofy, so you kinda forget the serious aspects at times.

Miracle Johnson had me, quite literally, howling at the screen for the duration of the quest. Then again the game excels at being goofy, so you kinda forget the serious aspects at times.
My favorite part is that despite the utter absurdity of the situation, Kiryu treats it with 110% of his energy. Same with the toy car racing. The image of a 20 something year old yakuza getting way too pumped up about toy cars then moving right into an intense emotional cutscene is Peak Yakuzq

I never thought of it as GTA, if I can be honest with you. I viewed this as a gritty crime drama that takes you out for a walk on the darker side of Japan in the 1980s that started out as a murder-mystery at first, but then when you switch protagonists a couple chapters in, you realize that shit's far more complicated than just a squabble over a literal three meter patch of concrete. There's far more intrigue, more suspicion, more depth and the more you continue on, I was of the opinion of, "HOLY SHIT! PLEASE DON'T LET THESE TWO CROSS PATHS! DON'T MAKE ME CHOOSE BETWEEN THESE TWO! MY HEART CAN'T HANDLE IT!" or worse yet, the other thought I had was, "Oh come on now... I tried all I could in getting there as quick as possible and now you're gonna do me dirty like this!?"

Then came the third thought, and this is aimed at the members of the Dojima family you come across. Especially with Kuze. I was thinking to myself whenever his ugly mug came up, "Oh you fucking prick. I'mma make good on Kiryu's promise in caving your fucking face in."

In Majima's side of the story? I felt so bad for the guy. All he wanted to know was what happened to his brother all those years ago and nobody told him. Over the course of time, the guy gets roped into whacking Makoto over the fact she's the inheritor of the Empty Lot... Only to learn that because he couldn't bring himself to do it, his boss Shiwano - fucking pig of a man he is - told him that he was rope-a-doped into it anyway. And when he came out of that sit-down with that cold, defeated, dejected look on his face, only to get beaten to a pulp at the hands of some randos out in the street? God, that was soul-crushing.

Again,
trying like absolute hell not to spoil anything, but when he finally snapped, I was cheering him on.

What other game does anyone know that can make you actively cheer a co-protagonist on like that? If my own essay here is more than enough of a reason for someone grab this either on XBOX Game Pass - console or PC, doesn't matter - or grab it while it's on sale on Steam, then just do it already.

Finished Outer Wilds: Echoes of the Eye. I'm not going to spoil anything to anyone, but it's just perfect. Just as good as the original game, with the same feelings of exploration and putting together a grand puzzle out of smaller puzzles. And just as with the base game, I'll miss playing it. I wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone, but again - make sure to go in as blind as possible. Half of the fun comes from experiencing and finding things on your own.

Well Halo Infinite sucks. Without an anti-cheat, it went exactly as you can imagine it. I'm looking to get into a survival game but I can't decide between 7 Days to Die or Conan: Exiles.

Jumping on the Tales of Arise train. After a shaky first day of playing, I'm enjoying myself more and more the deeper I go. Thank you @Mint_Tea for the recommendation~

ToA's one of the best games I played last year, together with Mass Effect (first playthrough) and Octopath Traveler. I'm up to the final boss and it's been a wild ride, hopefully the post-game isn't as brutal as I've been told...Bosses are glorified HP sponges in this game. That's probably one of the few complaints I have...

Well let me tell you, as someone who (almost) beat it, fuck the last hour of the game. Those two mini bosses into one mini boss with a new healthbar had me mad as fuck. Couldn't go further than the last boss's first phase. By the second I'm just dead inside. But other than that and a really slow prologue, nice story altogether.

Probably doing a new run of Witcher 3. I tried holding out for the graphics upgrade but CDPR is fucking around and taking too long, and I need to tap Triss Merigold's fine ass again.

Well let me tell you, as someone who (almost) beat it, fuck the last hour of the game. Those two mini bosses into one mini boss with a new healthbar had me mad as fuck. Couldn't go further than the last boss's first phase. By the second I'm just dead inside. But other than that and a really slow prologue, nice story altogether.
Screw the sewers boss while we're at it, too. And agreed on the prologue.

Been playing Mass Effect Legendary Edition, and I'm just about to beat 2 and move on to the last DLC from that game before I start on 3. So far, I'd say that the DLC in 2 was very good, if a bit short for my liking.

Been playing a bit of Dead Cells since it was on sale on steam. This game fucks.

Still on Blue Reflection Second Light but I am also doing another run through of Tales of Arise and have San Andreas on the side.

A close friend sent me a copy of Nier: Automata. I'm about an hour and some change in.

I'm really bad at it.

A close friend sent me a copy of Nier: Automata. I'm about an hour and some change in.

I'm really bad at it.
Protip : Dodging is absolutely broken in Automata. Also, start fishing to quickly get obscenely rich in the early-game and upgrade your weapons. Shameful as it is, I almost died on the tutorial myself, but you get better. Learning patterns is key.

About to play God of War (2018) for the first time; I already know the story, just never got the chance to play it for myself. Ready to say "Boy" from start to finish.

Back
Top Bottom