Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

What are you reading?

North and South, by Elizabeth Gaskell. I'd resolved to read more classics (I always tend to think I read "most of them" or "those that interest me"). It's really good. It has so many tropes I love: love/hate (or so they think), obsession, both very devoted in not having an interest in others, 'first time' for both, courting, class issues making it taboo (him being richer, her being nobler). The ending left me unsatisfied by its quickness, but SO HAPPY.

Currently in the middle of two Magic: The Gathering books.

I wouldn't say I'm reading the first one, perse, but I am listening to an audio book of War of the Spark: Ravnica. Almost done with that one, and gotta find War of the Spark: Forsaken?

The second, I actually am reading, and that is MtG's Agents of Artifice.

I've been having a strong urge to read more lore, than just through character bios.

Currently in the middle of two Magic: The Gathering books.

I wouldn't say I'm reading the first one, perse, but I am listening to an audio book of War of the Spark: Ravnica. Almost done with that one, and gotta find War of the Spark: Forsaken?

The second, I actually am reading, and that is MtG's Agents of Artifice.

I've been having a strong urge to read more lore, than just through character bios.
I have Ravnica, war of the spark, is it any good?

Guns, Germs, & Steel by Jared Diamond. A good textbook to explain why Europeans were so dominant in making colonies and not other continents by using science of agriculture and resources instead of other older reasonings like Europeans were "special", and anyone could have done the same thing (and in some areas it did happen) if they could.

A good read, I recommend it especially for those with an interest in anthropology and history.

The Price of Peace by Zachery Carter. Great book about the life of Keynes and the impact of Keynesian economics.

That might be an interesting read.

I've been working my way through Moby Dick, getting close to the end. I had read an abridged version years ago and am enjoying the language of the book.

Another book I've been reading has been Persephone Station by Stina Leicht which has been a rather fun sci-fi. It's pulpy and modern, I know the description compares it to the Mandalorian and Cowboy Bebop; but don't think that's all there is to it. The book presents a fleshed out setting and characters who I find myself interested in finding out more of. Though between the two I'd pick Cowboy Bebop as it follows people who are outside the law being pulled along by old history that refuses to stay buried.

Lastly, I've been listening to the bible, just the book of revelations left. I don't really have much to say on this one, if I ever revisit it it'll be several years down the road.

Picked up Timothy Zahn's "Heir To The Empire" book a long time ago during college but didn't find the time to finish it. Started over tonight. Great read so far!

Kind of fell out of the habit of reading for a while; but lately I've gotten back into it.

My most recent read was A Memory Called Empire by Arkady Martine. I have to say that I enjoyed the plot and the world building; but I found the characters a little strange to me. Not because of anything in particular about them and how they inhabited the world; but that reading the book felt like I was reading a young adult novel.

As for items I'm working on, well there's a book about LSD in the 60's and the CIA, some WW1 history and I started James Ellroy's American Tabloid.

Finally finished Moby Dick, was a real good read up until the final encounter. The epilogue probably ranks as one of the worst I've read.

Re-reading the Inheritance Cycle, partway into Eldest. It’s really neat, having read the whole quartet of books, because I’m now picking up on things I hadn’t noticed the first time through.

Far too many books at one time is the honest answer...Currently though I'm making headway with 'Last Smile in Sunder City' which is not too bad for a book that unashamedly looked like a Rivers of London cash grab.

Currently reading Starwell by Alexei Panshin, which is a sci-fi from the late 60s. Descriptions describe it as a comedy of manners, not a genre I have much experience with but I feel like it lives up to it even if I don't really know what that means. Each chapter begins with a small little rant of world building which has been interesting; but the most striking part of the book thus far has been how casual the narration has been.

Literally read a passage where I the reader got called out. A character asks the main, Anthony Villiers, how he lost the tip of his finger. An item which had not been remarked upon before now and the book got defensive about how it was always missing and me, the reader, was just unobservant and then challenged me to remember my neighbor's eye color. Earlier in the book Anthony makes a phone call and opts to not do video since he was in his underwear; but the narrator gets snarky about how we can get a description of his hose that come up to his calves and how full they are.

I have been enjoying this book and look forward to finishing it and reading the next two in the trilogy.

I'm about to start reading 'The Spanish Love Deception' by Elena Armas.

Think it will be a good book.

Doing audio books! Listening to the Harry Potter series, currently halfway through the order of the phoenix!

I am fighting my way through the audiobook version of Cunning Folk by Adam Nevill. I like the story for the most part (it's horror), but the narration is baaaad.

Currently reading Uzumaki after random people on the Internet recommended it to me. Enjoying it thusfar, but quietly hoping it'll have a more coherent story than Gyo.

Technically reading a series of excellent choose your own adventure stories collective called the Infinite Sea series.

Bascially think of the setting as the Napoelonic era but with magic and elves. First two books, Sabres of Infinity and Guns of Infinity, are direct sequels to one another, both chronicling your character during a long, bloody conflict. The third in the series, Lords of Infinity, is much more of a court intrigue affair, with ther already being plans for the fourth game, Wars of Infinity.

The writing is excellent, as is the worldbuilding. Well worth the money

Back
Top Bottom