Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

What are you reading?

Cartwright's Cavaliers by Mark Wandrey. Basically, humanity is one of only 36 known races in the galaxy who will fight for money, so Earth's entire economy is built around mercenary companies, primarily the Four Horsemen, the only four mercenary companies to return from the first batch of contracts.

Henri Troyat's historical sagas, best might be The Fruit and the Seed but I love the craziness of Imperial russia

A shadow in the ember (apparently better if you haven't read previous ones, I like the love interest to be a villain and a virgin).

Shatter me (again a villain love interest, not worth reading after the third)

Iron Widow (Chinese scifi, just incredible, also MMf)

Poison study (didn't read the whole saga, but the first one is a nice enemy to lover with an interesting premise and character I MEAN "For many years he was so loyal to the Commander that many such as Dilana thought he was gay. However, when he meets Yelena, he begins to fall in love with her. He describes his falling for her like a poison invading his heart.")

Dowry of blood (MMFF Dracula retelling)

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline.
Wow, the movie is so very very very different from the book. Like two different stories, lol. But both are great. ^^

Nothing too intellectual, I fear

Caraval by Stephanie Garber. Girl wrote every year to a famous villain, hoping to meet him. He finally turns up as she gets engaged... It's very self indulgent, angsty, two of the most powerful creatures are into her and she gets to kiss both, blah blah. LOL.

The Director must die by Dina Thala. Enemy to lover (or enemy lover?), super hot, soap opera style, Victorian mood, age gap villain x heroine.

Prison Healer by Lynette Noni. Meh. A weak Poison study, take that one for more spice and a better love hate and villain obsessing over the girl and getting the girl. (Or Shatter me)

Defy the stars by Claudia Gray. She wrote several sw books, none too incredible, and that one is... cute? Rogue One/Catalyst is what I recommend for SW, and there's better non fandom scifi.

I've been listening to audiobooks to deal with traffic to/from work. I'm a pretty solid sci-fi/Fantasy fella & typically gravitate to action/adventure stories.

I binged the entire Legend of Drizzt saga by ol R.A. Salvatore; just in time to catch the release of a new trilogy! Of which I have already dove into headfirst and waiting for the follow-ups eagerly. Nothing like stopping on a cliff-hanger šŸ™ƒ

40k is always a staple of mine, as well, and have recently cleared out: Devastation of Dal trilogy; Plague War trilogy; Dawn of Fire trilogy; Dark Imperium; War Hawk; & a smattering of other novels.

Currently, I am picking up the Age of Madness trilogy by Joe Abercrombie; book 2 to be specific. The 2nd trilogy of the First Law world (I have yet to dig into the various novels/short stories outside of the 'main' trilogies yet).

Re reading Shatter me... (I stop at the 3)

PfZflT5.jpg

"To kill me, you need to try a bit harder."

The SAS Survival Handbook, mostly (hopefully at least lol) for entertainment and roleplay inspiration purposes, may I never need anything from there!

In the past BMR has attempted to do a book club, well this thread isn't for that as it's difficult to get people to read the same book in the same time period. Instead just state what you're reading and what your thoughts on it are, if you like. If you just read a book, share, and if you're about to start a new one, share that too.

To begin.

I'm currently in the middle of a number of books so I'll just list the ones I've been reading most frequently.

Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny. I like it, it's a giant omnibus of all his Amber books which are a fantastical mind fuck. Our world is just a shadow of another, patterned upon the great City Amber. Corwin, one of many heirs, fights to take the throne. Very intrigue heavy.

Ultramarines Omnibus by Graham McNeill. I'm really just reading it to read, it's alright. Decent smurf action, a chapter I've never really enjoyed, and not too heavy on the thinking. My bathroom book.

Enforcer by Matt Farrer, a 40k omnibus about the Arbitrator Calpurnia. Not a good place for anyone to start with 40k as it's rather densely written; but a good source of inspiration for my Dark Heresy campaign I'm intending to run for my TTRPG group.

So folks, what are you reading?
Discovery of Witches

Just finished The Song of Achilles. That book absolutely broke my heart.
Currently still reading Dreaming the Eagle and I recently picked up Unsong.

The Secret History by Donna Tartt

Got a little book club going with an online friend and writing partner to motivate us actually do that 'reading more;' we always intend to, but never get around to. That was her choice, and I'm quite enjoying it. We're now both nearly finished and, sharing a preference for physical books over electronic, we each ordered the next today;

The Secrets She Keeps by Michael Robotham

So I can introduce her to my favourite author.

Last edited:
The Myth of Monogamy
Fidelity and Infidelity in Animals and People
David P. Barah, PH.D. and Judith Eve Lipton, M.D.

Took over a year, but I finally finished The Devil's Chessboard. Think it's probably been the most influential writing to move me on the Kennedy assassination.

It's not exhaustive on the actual assassination, but it strongly lays out motivations and ties different groups together.

I will need to research more on it in particular as I have encountered conflicting accounts on Oswald's accuracy with a rifle, but I think the next book I tackle will be lighter in subject matter.

Few random web novels. Might of already mentioned them here before.

My Vampire System - System base where MC is in world where people have abilities/learn abilities. Though he gains one that operates as a 'System.' The title alone gives it away of what type it is.

Supreme Magnus - Isekai fantasy where MC ends up in another world. Actually does have character building and growth, unlike standard trash Isekai where MCs are already either all powerful or get spoonfed everything/plot armor. The only downside is that the novel suffers grammar issues here and there. Also it does surprisingly well to not be a 'system base' novel trope.

Lord of the Mysteries - Another type of isekai/transmigrated novel; though there is no system(or I don't think so anyways.) The MC ends up in the body of someone that tried to commit suicide and the world he is in is also different. He finds himself in a Victorian fantasy era where there are secret societies of people with powers(Beyonders, usually from use of potions that allow them abilities.) Not that far in it really, but it is something different. There is mentioning of monsters too or other entities, but again not that far as I only read about 50 chapters and the webnovel has well over 1k and is already completed.

Death... And Me - Another Isekai genre; though this time where the MC ends up going through the reincarnation cycle while dragging Death unwillingly with him. The both get reincarnated as a result as twins in a more Wuxia type of world. Their personalities are also polar opposite where Death is presented more Dark and the MC as Light. (Well, technically they are both MCs any ways in this novel.) If you into Wuxia style and don't like to bother with bazillion Chinese names, this is probably for you as the names are English for characters. I don't know if novel is a translated work/being translated though. I am pretty sure MVP I mentioned before was one, but its translation is spot on, so is LotM. DaM is the only other system base as well out of the four mentioned. It kinda springs up on you, I wasn't even expecting it, but they still work it in remotely well.

My local libraries always do a winter reading club where if you log 6 books read between January and end of March, you get a free mug. If you log 10 books read, you're entered in a drawing for an iPad. 10 is a bit ambitious for me this year, but I'm on track to finish 6!

Right now I'm uncharacteristically reading a new release. Anatomy: A Love Story, by Dana Schwartz

Back
Top Bottom