Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

What are you reading?

I've been reading through Stephen King's "Dark Tower" series. It's a long one, but damn is it good!

I'd highly recommend it to anyone who thinks surrealist high fantasy sounds like a fun idea.

Game of thrones,

Eon ( two books eon and Eona amazing reads if you havent heard of it!)

and Ive been itching to read the hunger games again

Red Dragon by Thomas Harris.

Having watched a lot of Hannibal Lecter themed media, this comes off as reading the screenplay at this point, although the narrative is not unpleasant. Harris has a way with dialogue that you read expression and body language into it despite the lack of any adverbs and speech description.

That's quite the endeavor, why?

I've only read the first one, the second one is on the shelf, and I've heard enough horror stories about quality drop that I'm ready to bail.

In my own world of reading I've been reading some more of The Spanish Holocaust by Paul Preston which is depressing and maddening. On the lighter side I've begun book three of the Young Jedi Knights series, so far it's as fun as I remember it. I do recognize some structural issues with the world building; but I'm willing to forgive quite a bit with star wars.

That's quite the endeavor, why?

I've only read the first one, the second one is on the shelf, and I've heard enough horror stories about quality drop that I'm ready to bail.

In my own world of reading I've been reading some more of The Spanish Holocaust by Paul Preston which is depressing and maddening. On the lighter side I've begun book three of the Young Jedi Knights series, so far it's as fun as I remember it. I do recognize some structural issues with the world building; but I'm willing to forgive quite a bit with star wars.

I enjoy the universe, and while there are some problems (goodness, Honor is the ultimate Mary Sue), it's the sort of story that has lots of worldbuilding and side characters and moving parts, and I'm all about that. In addition, it's a story where the good guys eventually win out... And there's enough negativity going on in the world right now that I like reading something good.

Also, nobody does BIG EPIC SPACE BATTLES quite in the style of Weber. I got hooked on on the Starfire series (Insurrection, Crussade, In Death Ground, The Shiva Option), and, I dunno, it brings me joy?

And the series IMO is very strong through at least the first six or seven books. There some fall-off as things get late into the series, especially when he deviates from his original intentions because of Timothy Zahn messing up his timeline), but I'm still very happy with it.

Currently I am reading A Passion For Him, by Sylvia Day.

Not sure if it is going to be my style, but I figured I should give something different a shot. 😅

Just finished The Line by Martin Limon and now reading We are Mayhem, book 2 of the Black Star Renegades by Michael Moreci

'The Wicked King,' Holly Black.

And for Halloween, re-reading 'A Discovery of Witches,' Deborah Harkness. The problem with this series (it's actually a problem I've been having lately with books) is why does the female protagonist have to find a love interest who 'saves her.' Why does there have to be a love interest ~ or why can't she save him?

The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss. Book #2 in a series. Highly enjoying it, a friend and I are listening to it on car rides through Audible.

Currently nothing, but about to start the book that was written for Love Never Dies by Andrew Loyd Webber.

City of Secrets from Victoria Thompson, I have an occasional weakness for gaslight mysteries

Cavern of the Damned. A Kindle Unlimited free-be about a group of people trapped in a cave being hunted by voracious bats.

Still re-reading the Honor Harrington series in in-series chronological order (sans the Stephanie Harrington series and the Manticore Ascendant series as I don't have them yet). Up to The Honor of the Queen. While this particular book doesn't hit the point as hard, half the time (especially in the shorter stories) when something wonky is at play, all I can think of is: "this must be Mesa/Manpower"!

Back
Top Bottom