Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

What are you reading?

I'm addicted to Written in Red right now. On the other side, A Quick Bite by Lynsay Sands...less impressed. It's very cute but not enough to carry it.

I read 4 books at the same time, in quarters, bouncing between them every 1/4th, usually in the order I start them. I keep picking up Written in Red by Anne Bishop out of turn and Sands's book is hard to pick up in each round.

Silence of the Lambs is okay but at my age, having seen the Hannibal films and show multiple times and being pretty much saturated by these stories, it comes off like reading the screenplay. With a bit more stage direction. A testament to Demme for creating something so faithful to the work, I guess.

Pamfiloff is trying to impress me again with Mr. Rook which I will allow since King's is one of those favorites in the genre. But fuck if I didn't have trouble with Mermen. I guess sometimes even your favs have their mistakes.

That's a good one, I still need to read the most recent one, but Black Company is great fun.

For myself I've still been working on a lot of the same as listed before. This is the issue with reading so many different books at once. Did manage to finish Trading in Danger which was entertaining, but I never feel like their is the economic tension the book tries to express because at the end of the day the main character is still the daughter of a successful shipping company and it's only her own desire to do things on her own that holds her back. Which wouldn't be such an issue but it's her family that got her a ship to start with and she does try to use her family name to her benefit. She just doesn't want to take money directly from daddy.

Overall though it was fun and I will continue the series.

Just started reading Blood of empire by brian mcclellan. Third one in the Gods of blood and powder series, following the powder mage trilgoy.

Good choice if looking for a small twist on fantasy by including magic that revolves around gunpowder weaponry.

I'm currently in the middle of the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series. I've read the first two before but I'm currently in the middle of the third and loving it.

Hi there everyone! Cool thread. My current read is actually out of the norm for me. I found it in a “buy by the box” book sale, which I always never miss. So it’s definitely not something I would have picked myself. But it’s the Bearkeeper by Josh Lacey. It seems good so far! Definitely aimed at a young audience, but still mature and captivating in content.

I've been reading The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler. A classic P.I. book with captivating prose.

YES! A wonderful book! I tracked that one down after I first watched the movie 'The Big Sleep' with Humphrey Bogart and LAuren Bacall, and I just LOVE Raymond Chandler's writing style! Is it bad I have an OC based on Phillip Marlowe?

I've read some of his other books like 'Farewell My Lovely', 'Lady In the LAke', and 'The Long Goodbye'. I have 'Trouble is my Business' and 'The High Window' but I haven't actually read them yet.

I am reading a few books atm if I am honest as I have a bad tendency to flit from book to book lol. That being said I am currently re-reading Outlander. I love the story a lot and the idea behind slipping through time into the past or future. I haven't read any other books in the series either so that might be my next book.

I'm taking a break from fantasy at the moment and trying to branch out and read more literary fiction. Currently, I'm reading 'Half a Yellow Sun' by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. It's a fictionalised account of three character's experiences during Nigeria's civil war during the '60s. Having no previous knowledge of this war, it's really opening my eyes to the atrocities that happened and have largely been forgotten by the wider world.

I just bought The Big Sleep, by Raymond Chandler for my trip. Only about three chapters in, but I love the prose.

I'll follow up once I've finished.

In Dutch translation (from French) The seventh function of language by Laurent Binet (original title: La septième fonction du langage) and (from Italian) We will sleep as old men by Pino Corrias (original title Dormiremo da vecchi - Dutch title Decadence (no idea why).

Starting the Vorkosigan Saga by Lois McMaster Bujold. I finished Shards of Honor (which I had started reading in ostensible preparation for an upcoming LARP), and am now moving onto Barrayar because I do love me some good 'ole space opera, especially with romantic elements. At some point I'll get back to the Honor Harrington series (by David Weber), but I think I'm a mite bit burnt out there.

Currently reading Write Naked by Jennifer Probst, because I heard it was good for writing romance. Also making my way through The Best American Noir of the Century and Mike Hammer: The Complete Dailies and Sundays because I love noir!

I just finished one of what I class as the worst books I've ever read in my life. A book called Les liaisons dangereuses by Choderlos de Laclos. It's on par, in my own personal ranking of bad books with The Gorean series and Fity Shades.

LLD or Dangerous Liaisons, is probably known by many, but the way the book is narrated, in a series of letters, is just boring.

So tomorrow a new trip to the library for another book or two.

Back
Top Bottom