Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

What are you reading?

That book is SO bad. I Don't see why people are into it.

What I read recently
re-read Special forces
several books by Pearl Buck (not so known 'round me) - only for those who can handle that

That book is SO bad. I Don't see why people are into it.

What I read recently
re-read Special forces
several books by Pearl Buck (not so known 'round me) - only for those who can handle that

I had to look up Pearl Buck. Never heard of her and I read a lot. I've got about 2,500 books myself, so it's always good to learn about new (to me) writers. First woman to win the Pulitzer, first American woman to win the Nobel prize. Impressive.

Extremely interesting books, but very dark and I will say her life colors her view of people.

Extremely interesting books, but very dark and I will say her life colors her view of people.

Then I must read them, because neither wiki-page, Dutch and English, described her as dark. A woman who lived her life in China, but fled when it mattered, and wrote about a handicapped child isn't my idea of dark. It's the remains of the days, in those days children in the world had no access to medical stuff. In current days, children in China and Europe have, not so much in the US. I don't see the dark. But as I said, I have to read her books to give a solid opinion

The dark is what happens to women in China. I wanted to throw my book away a few times.

Right now I'm currently working my way through the Malazan series by Steve Erikson. It is a fairly famous fantasy series, dark and dense, wonderfully interesting world and magic system.

I recently finished reading the Budayeen Cycle by George Alec Effinger. I really enjoyed the three books, sad the author died before he could finish the fourth one. I would have liked to explore the setting more. Easiest way to describe is a middle eastern cyberpunk. It's real interesting how body modification is in it as a number of characters are trans which is not necessarily something you'd expect considering the first book was published in 86. It's not woke by modern standards but it allows people to exist as individuals.

I've also been re-reading the Mothman Prophecies, which honestly always had more to do with the Men in Black phenomenon then anything else. Still the book is great fodder for a Fall of Delta Green game with the introduction of characters as Indrid Cold.

Also reading the Devil's Chessboard: Allen Dulles, the CIA and the Rise of America's Secret Government. It's amazing how much we tried to whitewash the nazis after the fact in order to fight communism.

I too have been reading the Misfortunes of Virtue. That was something. I love to see, what has been considered taboo during these times. (1791)

Currently I am reading Flashpoint by Christie Golden. It is set in the Starcraft (PC Game) Universe. There are a lot of books to this universe which I all enjoyed very much but this is really weak. It lacks a necessary amount of tension and the characters feel all to flat.

I just started in The Pest by Albert Camus.

About a village in Algeria (but when it is set, it's still part of France), that is placed under quarantaine after a mysterious disease rips through the inhabitants. Sounds familiar, doesn't it. The book was written in 1947.

I read that under the English title of The Plague. It is a truly beautifully written book and it is easy to see why Camus won the Nobel Prize for Literature.

The man was French Algerian; but a Pied Noirs and not Algerian. His history is pretty interesting.

I'm still working on the previous two mentions with occasional dabbles into other works. Like one on the French Colonies in the Caribbean, the Nazi Einsatzgruppen.

Blindsight by Peter Watts. It's hard sci-fi and cosmic horror so right up my alley. I was almost done with it before I got distracted by meatspace affairs, but I'm looking to finish it soon. Would recommend.

Currently, Calamity by Brandon Sanderson. It’s a really good series, and accessible as a YA trilogy

Working my way through James Herbert's Rats, Lair and Domain.
Absolutely amazing books, he is definitely my favourite horror author, sorry Steven King.

Just finished the last of the Low Town trilogy. Love the gritty, dark urban fantasy. Any recommendations for fantasy with some edge to it?
Alright, gritty dark urban fantasy. Might not hit all those criteria with these; but here goes.

Thieves' World
Fafhrd and Gray Mouser by Fritz Leiber
Perdido Street Station by China Mieville, there are two other books in the same setting
The City & The City by China Mieville
Viriconium by M. John Harrison
The Etched City by K. J. Bishop
The Dragons of Babel by Michael Swanwick, technically book 2 in a trilogy but I didn't have any issues reading it without knowing of the first one
Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch

I could list more, but those are the ones that center around an urban environment the most.

Just finished the last of the Low Town trilogy. Love the gritty, dark urban fantasy. Any recommendations for fantasy with some edge to it?

I’m a bigger fan of high fantasy myself so I’m not sure if this is what you’re looking for, but V.E. Schwab is an amazing writer and I really recommend Shades of Magic if you haven’t read it. In that vein, Leigh Bardugo’s Six of Crows is pretty interesting, YA but more on the adult side.

Alright, gritty dark urban fantasy. Might not hit all those criteria with these; but here goes.

Thieves' World
Fafhrd and Gray Mouser by Fritz Leiber
Perdido Street Station by China Mieville, there are two other books in the same setting
The City & The City by China Mieville
Viriconium by M. John Harrison
The Etched City by K. J. Bishop
The Dragons of Babel by Michael Swanwick, technically book 2 in a trilogy but I didn't have any issues reading it without knowing of the first one
Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch

I could list more, but those are the ones that center around an urban environment the most.

China Miéville is AMAZING. Kraken will always be in my top 10 books I’ve ever read.

Started I Contain Multitudes by Ed Yong but stopped with the start of the virus and all. Not really in the mood to read about microbes and immune systems...
Don't normally read much non-fiction, so it's odd this was my latest!

Started I Contain Multitudes by Ed Yong but stopped with the start of the virus and all. Not really in the mood to read about microbes and immune systems...
Don't normally read much non-fiction, so it's odd this was my latest!
Haha that’s how I felt reading The Hot Zone during the H1N1 epidemic

Back
Top Bottom