Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

D&D 3.5 One on One: Invasion of Savagery Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bastion manages to let go and roll away before the lightning strikes, and the construct falls to the floor, unmoving. Aria moves over to Bastion. "Are you alright, Master?" She asks. Irvine and Tsuki stare at it a moment, to make sure it's stopped, but listen for his response.

Bastian lays breathing for a second - winded from wrestling the metal beast. "I'm fine....I'm fine....well done." He goes limp for a moment of relaxation, then jumps to his feet. "And...115?" he says, checking the bird for a designation marking.

<Search>

He gets up and begins scanning the unexplored area of the room.

On the bird construct is indeed the numbers 115.

The rest of the massive room is explored. Here and there are markings from the bird construct's talons. And at the other end, which is 200 feet from the entrance, is another iron door.

Bastion dodges the dart that erupts from the door, after hearing a click. Irvine grunts. "Of course. Give me a hand popping it off?" (Assuming Bastion does...) The door is broken off it's hinges. And inside...

Is a plethora of paperwork, some on tables, others on shelves. This 30 cubic foot room is filled with writing materials.

The crew takes a cautious step into the room, surveying it, and then begins investigating the paperwork - eager to understand more about the late mage's lair and activities.

Going through the pages, it seems the mage was working on recreating a race that was _built_, called Warforged. They were called that because the various nations and races of the time they were created ,Pre-Dragonfall (more than a millenium ago), were at war with each other, and some nations didn't won't to throw away lives (particularly dwarves and elves). So they built soldiers. The Warforged have sentience, but were usually built with orders and basic personalities in their minds, usually starting at the human equivalent of 25. It was noted that miscellaneous magic used at the time of creation could cause unusual effects. But the unnerving part of these papers is in a section of handwritten notes.

"... I've finally got the formula right, but Thanatos wants me to modify it immediately! He doesn't seem to get that this is delicate work, and it will need _careful_ adjustments just for different base forms! I get that he can blast me into dust, and that his lackeys spread across the country, but can't he give a guy some space to experiment? For a lich, the guy's remarkably impatient. He wants me to mass produce, and experiment at the same time? It's not possible! I said so, but gave a list of what all he'd need to mass produce them, and a good idea of where to get the crystals. I know better than to say can't do without a solution! The prick he sends finally left me alone, so I'll get back..."

"Well there you have it, Arianwen. You're a 'Warforged'." Bastian thought for a moment and realized that it was possible, if not likely that the Warforged they had fought and killed throughout the day were - like her - built with a 'basic personality'. People. Running his hand through his curly hair, he turns to Irvine and Tsuki, "Well, there you have it. This 'Thanatos' is the one we need to be on the look for. Have either of you ever heard of him?"

<I did a Knowledge Local check but it was a 2, so I'll leave that up to them - I assume this is a mystery, though. Also - we've explored the whole dungeon at this point, right? I didn't miss any doors/hallways? I figure its time to head back to town and report in.>

(Hint: He's not local. Also, dungeon complete! Characters have gained 1 level! Total GP earned for each individual this adventure: 4,718. So if you want to start adjusting, go ahead. In story it's a mix of reward, and the selling of unclaimed supplies. If you want your current items given a magical upgrade, subtract the old value's total from the new. Example: +2 longsword costs 8,000, +1 costs 2,000. Upgrading +1 to +2 is 6,000.)

Irvine and Tsuki shake their heads. "Never heard of him." Irvine said, while Tsuki commented, "Doesn't ring a bell! But... Liches are bad news. Not only are they undead, their intelligent. Baaad news." Aria tilts her head. "It is good to know what I am, I guess." She says.

"Very well. Let's make our way back to Kippo - see if the Baroness has heard rumours of this lich..."

Bastian grabs the found note and they leave the room and exit the dungeon, making sure to avoid the pit on the way out. The party makes its way to town. Blackfang begins chasing a rabbit as they near Kippo. They head once again to the house of Lady Agnise Ritter, and Bastian knocks loudly - leaning his forearm against the doorframe in exhaustion.

(Blackfang found the rabbit tasty.)

"Yes?" A servant answers, before seeing who's knocking. "Ah, come in, come in! I'll go inform Baroness Ritter you're here. I assume it was successful." He says before rushing out. Shortly, Agnise Ritter is down. "I see you returned. Did you find what caused the attacks?" She turns and looks at Aria a moment. "Was it this?"

"This," Bastian puts his hands protectively on Aria's shoulders, "is Arianwen. She is a friend. Yes, my Lady, we have found what caused the attacks - and many of the missing goods. The attacks came from a mage who was creating Warforged - beings like Aria here. He was using them to lead the attacks on the roads. However, it looks like he wasn't acting alone. Lady Ritter, have you ever heard the name 'Thanatos'?"

Agnise shakes her head. "I've never heard of 'Thanatos' before. I'm afraid I can't help you with that." Aria looks at Bastion with gratitude. "We'll, at the least, let me reward you for stopping the attacks. 1,000 gold pieces each, and anything made from the unclaimed supplies." Lady Ritter says. "In the morning, anyway. You look tired, and could rest. Please, use my guest rooms."

"Very well, my lady", Bastian says, and the group heads upstairs to rest. Bastian looks to Irvine, "We cannot leave the matter of the lich alone. In the morning, we shall begin making inquiries-" Bastian stops. "Forgive me, Irvine. We agreed to pursue the attackers on the road together, and we did. I don't presume to keep you longer than you desire..." He glances as Tsuki, knowing that where Irvine goes, Tsuki goes. "Never mind. We'll talk in the morning." He enters the room provided, and begins preparing himself for rest.
He sleeps soundly tonight.

<And so do I. See you tomorrow. Feel free to wake him up in your next post for the sake of flow>

Bastian rubbed the sleep from his face, "Good morning, Arianwen. Did you...rest...well?" He looks down the hallway for signs of the others.

There aren't signs of the others. Either they're in their rooms, or already out and about. "I had a quiet night in the hall, Master. There seem to be few others walking the halls at night. Was your night restful?" She asks.

"Indeed it was, Aria. Thank you for asking." Bastian replies. Interesting...so she doesn't require sleep.
Bastian begins moving through the hall, "Have you seen the others this morning, Aria? Or have they not left their rooms?"

"They haven't left their rooms, except Blackfang. He decided to go outside, I believe. I confess to not knowing for sure, since he is Tsuki's companion." Aria replies.

"I see. Well, come with me Aria - we're going to see if anyone has heard of this Thanatos." Bastian and Aria head down the stairs. On the way out the door, he asks the servant, "When Tsuki and Irvine awake, let them know they can find me at the tavern."

Bastian begins leading Aria around town, looking for general rumours and specifically looking for information on Thanatos or liches.

<Gather info: 15>

None of the townspeople are knowing of either Thanatos or liches. About an hour later, Tsuki and Irvine show up at the tavern. "You wanted to talk?" Irvine asks.

"I do," Bastian says, offering seats to the pair. "Our discovery yesterday is very important. I feel responsible to do what I can about this lich situation. Now, I know you came along as part of the Baroness' request, but I would welcome your help in this endeavor," he looks from Tsuki to Irvine, "both of you. I can offer no reward of my own."

<Diplomacy 22>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom