Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Trouble with Treaties

Status
Not open for further replies.
She took the unguent back, and hooked it back to her belt.

"It is my pleasure to serve your highness. Your son speaks highly of you." None of her words were false, and she knew of the stories that he'd once been a great man and king. "and yes, your majesty. Goldspar is as fractious as always. We must each do what we can to survive, in that my sister and I have come to see that perhaps the settlement of your country and Loidi would perhaps bring some kind of peace to our country, although we are not as strong of an army as either to hope for a grand alliance. We are mostly traders and craftsmen."

Finally, she took her seat, her gaze still worried as she looked at the king. "Although I do not doubt that Gavin will be a great king in his time, I hope that you will not be so eager to leave us."

The door creaked open softly, and Eloran slid in like a crimson slashed shadow. He stood off to the side, in a darker corner, and gave a small bow to recognize the King and to excuse himself, while remaining unobtrusive to the engaged parties.

The woman turned her hand as Diane asked, the coins clattering onto the table, scattering over a small area. Golds, silvers, coppers, emblem and face, unmarked or gouged. Her empty hand gestured for the woman to enter her room. "Close the door, lady, the chill enters."

Enter or not, her hand would turn back down toward the scattered coins, her eyes studying them carefully. She did not touch them, just letting her hand hover a few inches over the coins. After a moment, one of the tubes was opened up, an old vellum scroll slid out, unrolling, the elderly woman reading it slowly, her lips moving the whole time.

"A man on a forked road, the silver egg..." she mumbled slowly, looking back up towards the princess. "The farmer cracks open the silver egg, looking for the jewels inside, only to find a golden yolk."

The Lord did not jump as the voice called out to him. He turned slowly. Dressed in a light robe of Danbari Textiles, white, with a dark blue sash around his waist which held his jeweled ceremonial dagger. Soft sandles did not make a single sound as he turned to face the Loidite prince. Traditional, simple garb at the surface, but it was well made. Golden embroidery decorated the simple outfit, the mark of Martinez's clan upon his breast, patterns around the cuffs, made of excellent cloth hand weaved by a true artisan.

The lord nodded slowly toward the Loidite prince, walking slowly back down the halll, away from the chambers of his other servant, and back towards the meeting hall. Head up, shoulders back, his hands were clasped behind his back, still clutching that worn book.

Deston was surprised to find that worked so well. He had expected to come up with something to get the lord to believe him. Now he would have to find the princess, which shouldn't be that hard considering he was already in the women's quarters. But first he thought he might get a pee and over hear whatever it was Martinez was listening to. He slid up right next to the door only to hear someone say shut it.

The king nodded, barely glancing over at the door when Eloran entered. "It's good that Goldspar sent women," he was saying. "It would provide some diversion for my daughter. Have you had a chance to meet Diane? Wouldn't surprise me if Gavin has her locked in the tower, he's extremely overprotective of her."

He sighed. "When their mother died, I wasn't much of a father for a few years. Concentrated too much on the war with Loidi to see that my children needed me. Gavin and Diane grew close. Of course they would, they're twins. However, Gavin seems to think that Diane will break and Diane thinks the sun rises and sets on her brother's command." He grinned for a moment, "I must be boring you, all this babbling about the past." Struggling to sit up once more, he said seriously, "How well do you think these talks are going to go? I normally don't care for a woman's opinion, but I do know that the women of Goldspar are very politically savvy. You wouldn't have survived this long if you weren't. Nearly married a woman from Goldspar after my wife died, and she was the most shrewdest woman I've ever known. It didn't work out, though. Sad story, never mind."

Diane stood up and went back over to the door. She closed it without seeing Deston outside. Taking her seat again, she said, "As lovely as that little story was, I wish to know more about Lord Martinez. If I'm to be his wife, I should know how he expects me to be. I was hoping you could give me some insight in his character?"

She wondered if the heat had boiled the old woman's mind. It was just too hot in that room, making Diane feel a little light-headed. She just hoped that she got her answers fast.

Gavin looked relieved. "Wonderful. It's so sad, seeing my father like that. He was such a strong man all my life. I'm sure you'd feel the same if our roles were reversed." He tapped his fingers on the table for a few moments. "It was the oddest thing," he muttered, mostly to himself. "Healthy one day, sick the next."

He looked up when Martinez entered the room. "Good, you're here. Take a seat and we can begin. These are the current trade agreements between our lands. I know we tried to straighten this out yesterday, but got no where. Today, while we are fresh, let's try again. Currently, Anstaria only imports some baubles and clothes from Loidi, and I know we export certain farming machines and spiced meat."

"Yes, I've met the princess Diane. She's a lovely girl, who I believe you are correct, is a bit overprotected by her brother. But it is only due to love that he does so." She smiled, sibling love was such a sweet thing, in all the many ways it could be. Honorè knew that her sister loved her, even if she felt like she was smothered by her most of the time. "My sister and I are twins as well, your majesty. I do understand that closeness. It is not babbling. When a man is sick, he often thinks about the future and the past." she spoke true words, ones that her mother had once spoken to her.

"As for the talks, your majesty..." she paused reflecting on the events of the previous day. "Loidi seems to enjoy antagonizing the Ritter Hex, while the Ritter Hex seems to hold an equal animosity. Danbar holds itself with the utmost of respect. Prince Gavin is doing his best to keep the peace, but the day was rift with unrest on all sides. Even Goldspar was not innocent of this. Our Lady Masako seemed to overwhelm the prince with her...charms.", she was trying to be politic, but it was hard when everyone seemed to be going out of their way to cause obvious troubles. No matter what, he was still King, and needed the truth.

"My sister should be here shortly, but she often has a rough first day or so when traveling. She has studied the troubles between the countries extensively, even further back than the War, she would perhaps be better able to offer an insight. I try to look more to the future and what can be done than what has happened in the past. If you can not look beyond the past, you are doomed to repeat it."

She had spent long hours in preparation for this solitary moment, and at last the Comtesse was ready to see the King of the Anstarians. With clothes out of character for her the Goldspar woman had dressed herself in a creamy white tunica, over which was draped a richly wine red dalmatic and even over that was a richly decorated superhumeral collar. Every bit was decorated with complex geometrical shapes, silver and pearls were weaved into the fine silk. It was a very conservative apparel that did nothing but reveal and revel in the wealth of the owner.

Soft padded steps took Valere to the King's chambers and in her hands she clutched a small iron ring.

When she was allowed entrance she did not cast her head about in wild glanced; but instead let her eyes dart about while facing stock forward. Her hands were clasped at waist level before her and she still held onto the ring. Over all for such an austere and colder woman then her sister Valere looked down right Imperial in her outfit. Her "sickness" from travels had faded and she was prepared to take centre stage in this grand plot of peace talks.

It would only do to further her reputation to be a chief leader in the brokering of the peace.

Calm measure steps had her before the King; but her eyes were upon Eloran. With a subtle look of fear and concern she looked at the man who guarded the sickly monarch. Valere felt she had to tell the Ritter something important, that could determine the course of the peace talks.

Masako sighed, having not gotten any response from the person she asked and simply headed for the meeting hall where she was thinking most would be. At least she wasn't getting the dirty looks she was getting yesterday, even though he clothing style was magically created, she just hoped it wasn't giving off a noticeable aura the Hex would pick up on. But while she was heading down that way she'd spot Deston hovering outside a door seeming to be listening to what was going on or something. With faint footfalls she'd walk over and gently touch his shoulder. "Sir Deston, just what are you doing?" She asked him softly "an dis your brother around?" she asked.

The king smiled as Valere walked in. "Yes, twins, I can see that. Welcome Comtess. I hope you are feeling better," he said. He reached over and took Honore's hand, his skin feeling too thin to actually be there. "You said that my Gavin was overwhelmed by someone's charms." He smiled, looking a bit senile. "That's nice. Gavin has never really shown an interest in any woman. That is wonderful news. I had hoped he'd start thinking of his future."

He gave Honore's hand a squeeze. "You're both lovely ladies, too. My son must be tripping over his tongue around you all." He gave a wheezing cough.

She turned slightly as her sister entered, not a trace of her surprise showing on her face. Showing off a bit much was what she thought, but she'd not say something like that to her sister, or especially in front of the king. Valère was modest enough, but Honorè would not go so far as to say that she was austere but even Honorè had to admire her sister more than usual. There was more of a marked contrast between them today, and she felt a bit of bitterness well up inside her chest. Would this be how she lost her sister? To the game of politics.

But as the king spoke, she gave her full attention to him. "Never, your highness?" It was almost completing a puzzle that Honorè felt just slightly out of her grasp. She looked over the Ritter Hex who was normally at Gavin's side...and wondered. Was that why he was willing to be so circumspect? Was she just a novelty? It pricked at her pride, and she wasn't sure she would continue playing the courtship game with Gavin. Grecian Love, and yet if he knew of her 'toys', he would revile her. This was going to require a great deal of thinking.

"Yes, your majesty. I do believe that Gavin has many distractions. Even the Lady Masako has managed to un-nerve him."

The woman's hand reached down, scooping up the coins into her weathered hand. It trembled as it lifted the coins, holding them up to the sky again, eyes closing as a whisper died upon her lips. Slowly she lowered the coins back down, setting them in a stack upon the table's surface. She shivered as they left her hand, the woman drawing up the heavy furs around her frame even tighter, her hands retreating into the heavy coat.

"He expects what he knows of you, lady," the old woman's voice was weak and strained, barely able to reach Diane. "Practical man he is. What is weighed and measured he seeks. He knows what you have to offer. That is all he expects. Practical man though, he knows not to overlook what is before his eyes."

---------------------------------------

The lord nodded as he entered the chambers. He took a seat slowly, between Gavin and Tansen. Almost immediately as the topic was broached, he gestured over towards one of the servants, calling him over he said simply, "Bring me a map of the lands." He dismissed the servant with a wave of his hand to scurry off to the task.

"It is hardly a simple issue, your majesties, but I am certain that we can arrange an agreement before our time is through. Indeed it will be a good first step towards peace."

His elbows propped up on the edge of the table. His palms flat together, index fingers pressed to his lips. His gaze was drawn towards the middle of the table, the map wasn't there yet, but his eyes moved as though tracing routes and destinations.

"The garrison issue from before will tie into these negotiations as well, if you are both willing to consider it."

Tansen nodded to Martinez, before talking, "Yes, it does seem that we could offer each other more. I believe we are willing to part with some of our more exotic herbs, and spices, for starters. Depending on what we could get in return we may even offer some of our more valuable resources." Looking over to Martinez now speaking on the topic he knew so well.

"I would undoubtedly be willing to lower garrison count, if it would mean peace and prosperous trade. That is if prince Gavin also did so." His last few words said looking at Gavin. He was hoping things wouldn't get to detailed into trade. If it did so then he would have to call upon his advisers for reference. He no longer trusted either of the men, as they seemed more than willing to keep Lodi out of these trades if it ment more profit.

Deston held his breath as Diane shut the door. Leaning in hoping to see anything through the cracks in the door, but sadly he could not. So he just leaned against the wall beside of it, taking in everything that he heard. He hoped he would be able to use every last bit he heard. He wished he knew who the other person was in the room. Or even what that other person said.

When Masako spoke, Deston seemed to leap in the air, as his heart quickly picked up speed. "Oh jeez. Miss Masako, it's just you." Breathing a sigh of relief he replied, "I thought you were one of them damned Ritter Hex or... never mind. But me? I'm just eh... waiting for the Princes Diane to come out. I'm to lead her to the meeting room when she is done." He looked over his shoulder at the now shut door, hoping the princes didn't come out any time soon. "As for my brother the last I saw of him, he was in the meeting room with Prince Gavin, discussing trade or some such nonsense."

Diane sighed. The old woman didn't seem willing to give her a straight answer. Riddles, riddles and more riddles. Standing, she said, "Well, thank you for your time." She walked to the door and opened it. She was surprised to see Deston and Masako standing by the door.

"What are the two of you doing here," she asked. "Did you have business here?"

Gavin nodded. "Fewer men at the garrisons can be achieved. As long as the same number is agreed upon by Prince Tansen. An equal number would help prove that the other isn't planning an attack." He looked over the map, pointing to various key areas. "Here, here, and here will be part of the deal. If we can work out a peaceful trade agreement, then I suggest this pass here be the primary trade route."

"You must broaden your views, your highnesses," Martinez said slowly. His finger reached out across the map, pointing at first to a duchy on the border with Danbar in Anastaria, and then to a seaside province upon Loidi's shores. They were the areas through which most commerce between the two and Danbar traversed. He tapped twice on both locations before drawing his hand back towards his chin.

"A new route upsets the lords of both lands there. They are, accustomed to certain practices which are the normal in business. They become rich and more powerful off the trade, becoming accustomed to a certain level of respect and wealth." He spoke with an even tone, a slow cadance that would have given him time to pick his words as he spoke.

"A sudden change would, upset them. Cooler heads do not always prevail, and the spoiled child often sneaks behind the parent's back to get the treat now withheld. Thier wealth threatened, you cannot predict what will occur. It has not been unknown for desperate nobles to resort to raiding and piracy."

He reached out slowly again with his right hand, tapping on the pass that Prince Gavin had pointed out. "And there, is your answer to that problem. Increase the garrison. Draw men from those provinces, limit thier ability to cause trouble. And perhaps, promise them new, lucrative practices."

"Draw an equal number of men from other lands, ones not used to such practices. They will balance out the corrupt ones, with a good leader. A larger garrison keeps, opportunists at bay. Secure, quick, free from the usual, customs. You will easily get back the minor costs of growth at the garrisons."

Tansen looked at the map thoughtfully, rubbing his chin as he did so. More men at these areas would cause outbreaks of violence on both sides. He could not see what good would follow from such a plan. If they needed a garrison to stop these lords, it would inevitably bring about a civil war anyways. Letting out a sigh Tansen shook his head, "No. I do not think bringing more men to those garrisons will provide any help. If such a problem seems to be true I shall just take some of my more veteran warriors to, 'babysit', the lords in my control."

He motioned to the garrisons that Martinez had just done, "These areas are to close to the border. I fear an increase would cause spontaneous outbreaks of violence on both sides. Not to mention open our inner borders, so if one of us were thinking of treachery, they would have a direct path into our countries."

Deston jumped up again when Diane appeared behind him, he did not like where this was going, "Oh hello your highness. Um... yeah... well you see your eh... supposed to come with me to the meeting room." He motioned down the hall towards the meeting room. He looked back at Masako, an idea suddenly coming to his head, "Actually Miss Masako, I believe the king is seeing the delegates from Goldspar now. You may want to hurry over there. You don't want to make a bad impression by being late or not showing up at all."

Gavin sighed, slumping back in his chair. "No, I see what Lord Martinez is talking about. If we make a new trade route, then we will be robbing the nobels who made their living on the existing trade routes. The new routes might cause the lords in that area to start taking airs on the lords who used to run the trade routes. This will cause inner turmoil among our own kingdoms. However," Gavin continued, "what if we agreed to split the trades? Keep the normal trade routes for what we already trade with Loidi, and anything new that we agree on will use the passageways. That way, we are not taking from the existing status quo, but we are still opening up to new trade?"

"As for the garrisons, an open treaty should suffice. Lord Martinez advises we keep the current numbers or up them. While I do see the wisdom in that, I am worried that having so many soldiers posted near Loidi couldn't be seen as an invastion attempt. And visa-versa. We will always be trying to match and growing and that will push us over into war." He tapped his fingers on the table. "What I propose is we keep a minimal staff at the boarder garrisons, but we can man the inland garrisons as we see fit."

Diane started to follow Deston, but stopped when she heard him tell Masako to go visit her father. "Oh, has Lord Martinez already seen Father? He had an order to when he wanted to talk to everyone. The Comtesses were the first part of Goldspar he wished to talk to, and Baroness Masako was after Lord Martinez. If he hasn't gone yet, then she would be early."

Masako simply shrugged at the question as to why she was there, having dropped into an actual respective curtesy to the princess though she loathed to bow to a woman that seemed to have no self-worth about her. Diane's seeming acceptance of her station had labelled her a "sheep" in Masako's mind but she was wise enough not to let it show openly. "I was just passing by when I saw sir Deston waiting here." She said and grinned. "Oh I know, but I've heard that Martinez can be a conniving windbag when he wants to be so I'm in no real rush but I'll hurry on over there if you think it's all that important." She said and turned to walk off, seeming to glide down the hallway toward the throne room or wherever it was that the King was meeting with everyone. Reina falling in beside her, dismissing his orb of darkness he'd been napping in.

"Makes you wonder why you were called in last and separate from the others from Goldspar..." he muttered.

"Probably because we'd just bump heads or worse." Masako said. "Did you pick up anything?"

"No, other than whispers that the Hex aren't too thrilled about what's going on. Maybe it could work to our advantage over the others. If we can buddy up to them, we'd have a good leverage..." the tiefling shrugged.

"Eh maybe. but for now, try to keep track of what the other delegates are doing.." She instructed.

"Sure." he said and stepped off and departed from her side to try and find a way to eavesdrop on them, but was being extremely cautious about seeming suspicious.

Masako reached the meeting place in a few moments and looked around to see if she was late, early...what?

Tansen nodded as he heard Gavin speak his thoughts. "Yes I believe that comprise sounds very promising. I will have to say that I very much agree with Gavin on this one, what about you Lord Martinez?" Tansen was happy as long as there were not more troops at the garrisons. In his belief it was the garrison increases that was the precursors to the war.

Deston shrugged barely able to contain his laugh as Masako talked of Martinez, as he watched her head off he thought of shouting to her that Martinez had not gone yet but decided it was not worth it. Turning back to Diane he shrugged again, before speaking, "I guess she'll be a bit early then. But speaking of Martinez," He moved stopped in the middle of the hall, "your father said that you'll not be going out with him today. In fact... I think he wishes you to speak with my brother over lunch. Come on, "Deston started walking down the hall the way they had just come from motioning for her to follow, "who wants to hear about trade? What is it you do for fun around here?"

Eloran finally noticed Valere staring at him with a strange look on her face. "Lady Valere, is there a problem?"

(Sorry for the short post, but it's all I have to say, really.)

Diane looked at Deston. "Father said I shouldn't have lunch with Lord Martinez? Did Gavin talk to him about it already?" She paused, thinking over what he had said. "Well, for fun I sometimes read in the garden or take house keeping lessons with Madam Benway. Normally, in the mornings, I go to talk with Madam Benway about the needs of the day. There really isn't much in the way of entertainment for me."

Masako was stopped at the king's door by Ritter Hasglow. "You are not allowed in there," he told her. "Your meeting isn't scheduled until later. I have to ask you to leave." He stayed in front of the door, a hand on his sword.

"What's going on out there?" The king's feeble voice came through the door.

"Baroness Masako is here, Majesty," Ritter Hasglow announced.

"I'm not ready for her," the king said. "Tell her to come back later."

Deston shook his head, "Yeah we already let your eh... betrothed know." He chuckled as he spoke, laughing even more when she spoke of what she did for fun. "Wow you really don't do much of anything do ya? Well what do you read about? The girls back home don't like reading so much. Not less it's one of those really weird books about the prince saving the day yada yada... Anyways..." He continued to walk out past the women's quarters looking for something to do.

Masako smiled demurely at Hasglow and nodded politely. "My apologies then. It seems I arrived a bit early." She said and backed off a bit and turned about and started to head for the garden but thought again, then continued on, perhaps she's join the others in their discussion this day and returned to where she'd heard the others talking and rapped on the door politely. "It's the Baroness, do you gentlemen mind if I join you?" she asked through the door, trying to sound polite.

His hands clasped before him, he rested his chin on his knuckles. His eyes were still locked upon the map, even as the Prince Tansen asked for his opinion. A low humming came from him, his eyes moving swiftly over the map, taking in details quickly, his eyes lingered over the passes, and the provinces on either side.

"Balance would need to be maintained. If these new routes are too profitable, the same situation arises again. But the premise is sound. I take it you already have your ideas upon the terms?"

He leaned back slowly in his chair, his arms lowering, resting at his side, hands folded in his lap. He had a soft smile on his face as he looked to Prince Tansen, and then back to Prince Gavin.

"There is just one more term, I ask you consider. Direct trade, removes the buffer your nations have had through my countryman's own lands. There was a certain safety in this. Our people are familiar with the ways of both of your lands and cultures. Customs, is something your men have limited experience with."

"Yes."

Valere's voice was soft and muted as she carried a grave secret. Stepping closer to the Ritter Hex so she could confer in confidence she spoke to him.

"Eloran, Head of the Ritter Hex, there is a plot to kill your King."

Hopefully Eloran would have the composure to remain passive as the Comtesse did not want to unease the King in his sickness, it was a risk she had to take as any where else in the castle would have risked exposing her to those parties that would threaten his Lordship. It would also allow Eloran to broach the subject with his King to see what could be done.

"I do not know much; but something is planned for today. Take this Ritter Hex."

With those words she offered up the ring she had clutched.

"My father made no deal with devils, he was as staunch in his defiance against the devil's work as you are Eloran. Take his ring, it will protect its bearer and allow them to fight with boldness and bravery against the evil of the world."

Eloran's passionate eyes became hard, and cold. He took the ring silently, and put it in a pocket of his tunic after only a second inspection.

"Who." he asked Valere. "How did you find out." He stared at her, black eyes flickering to her sister and to his King.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom