Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Trouble with Treaties

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a moment, Honorè was helpless as Diane had been, as she felt her sister's hand on her cheek. Her own sister's desires were strong, it was difficult to not just give into them. It hadn't been just the sweet girl that Honorè had tormented but herself as well. But it was something she was used to by this point. As Valère's hand struck her cheek, her head snapped back, feeling the faintest taste of blood in her mouth. But she would not bruise. This her sister knew well.

"It is not frivolous, sister. I am merely securing your safety, as I always do. The prince gave us the grandest quarters, did he not? To please me. You may see my revels of flesh as something beneath you, but they serve us both well." But she got no more chance to say anything as she was shoved back on the bed, her limbs akimbo, the perfect picture of submission, inciting even her own sister to desire.

"I have no intention of plucking the fruit before it is ripe." Words spoken between her and Gavin however, she kept even from her sister. It would only incite further violence. But further violence there was anyways as Valère sought to devour her twin and Honorè lost herself to her sister's desire.

"Of course, sister..." The weighty press of her sister's body against her own gave birth to a deep ache that would remain with Honorè through the day. Through her breakfast with Gavin, and her afternoon lessons with Diane.

"But plans must be followed through. I promised the prince I would break my fast with him..." Her own voice was commanding as well. They each had their plans, and they would compliment each other. Valère simply thought her moving too fast. She always did. In truth, Honorè was the more physical of the two, but even in a country where her sister's kind was hated, she would protect her with her life.

Sitting up Valere sighed and pulled her sister up and towards her. Their lips touched and the Comtesses were one for the moment. With a smile upon her features Valere recognised her political dealings with the Prince as important; but the Princess, that was just diversion in a larger game to her opinion.

"Go, go keep your appointments. I will skulk in my shadows. There is more work to be done, today we see the King."

Rising from the bed Valere fled to her room to ready herself for the days tribulations.

Gavin made his way down to the gardens. It was a beautiful day, perfect for all his plans. The next day would be just as nice, and that would be nice for a hunt. Smiling, he came to the table set out in the gardens. The smile slipped as he saw a note. Fearing that it was from Honore, he opened it.

"Father must be feeling better," he muttered. "He is requesting that the delegates meet with him privately during the day. The Loidites have the first honor, then he wishes to speak to the Comtesses. Lord Martinez is next, which is good. He won't miss the lunch with my sister. Baroness Masako will be after him and then he wants to talk to Diane."

Sitting at the table, he tapped the letter against his knee. He hoped his father wasn't pushing himself.

Honorè smiled as she watched her sister leave. In truth, Valère was all she had left. It was her that had found her when she'd had her accident while riding, who had nursed her through a month of fevered dreams and helped her recover for almost a year. Who had held her when her fiancee, Lord Issex had been lost at sea on the same boat that had carried their family's fortune. But even through the loss of both of those, the two sisters had persevered and had gotten to a place of relative safety.

The smile was still on her face as she allowed entrance to two of her slaves to help her dress. The braids in her hair were taken down, and brushed out, leaving the red burnished brunette waves to dance down her back. Upon her body, she was gowned in a delicate chiffon gown that looked as if it might tear from a single harsh look. In truth, a wanton angel despite being fully covered as almost any maiden of Anastaria.

~~~

"Your highness."

She announced herself as she reached the gardens, the small container of unguent in her hand as she made a bow and waited for the directive to stand.

Gavin motioned for Honore to stand. "Please, Comtess, join me for breakfast." The braid in his hair was still there, but it was a little frazzled. He hoped she brought the unguant to fix it. By keeping the braid, he hoped to show her that he was still serious about all that he had told her.

"I hope you will enjoy breakfast," Gavin said, holding her chair out for her. "It's the best pastry and fruits in the kingdom. And the sweetest milk. Everything is fit for a queen." As she sat, he kissed her shoulder before pushing her chair in.

"So, my sister didn't annoy you last night, did she? She can be such a little squaking bird when she has questions." Gavin smiled, showing that he cared despite his words.

Standing, she looked over the food and smiled in approval. Nothing that she would not be able to eat. She knew that sometimes the morning after could be the food from the night before. She knew she could not face another dish of boar. Luckily, he seemed disinclined for meat first thing in the morning. As she was seated, she forced herself not to wince as the prince kissed the shoulder of the side that Valère had bruised.

"No, your highness." A glance around to see what guards or the like were around and in doing so, keeping the proper formalities. "She was a delight. We stayed up far too late discussing whatever struck out fancy." There was a hint of a smile then of what exactly had struck her fancy. "I think we'll become the most bosom of friends. " she picked up a bit of fruit, and placed it on her tongue, using just her lips to pull it into her mouth fully, yet slowly, letting Gavin watch and imagine.

"But tell me, did you have pleasant dreams?"

Gavin nodded, his eyes on her lips. "My dreams were pleasant enough," he said. "You had the staring role." He smiled, looking down at the food. "I have ordered the cook to not make boar while you are here. In consideration for your mother's people. You don't have anything against deer or fowl?"

He took a grape and held it out to her as she had done last night. "I'm sure you know by now that my father wishes to speak to everyone privately. He's a charming old man, who still acts like he's young. I humbly ask that you and your sister don't over excite him. He has been very ill lately."

He looked down for a moment. "Before any of the delegates entered our land, my father just collapsed. His illness was so sudden. I never thought he'd ever be so frail. I'm not sure what I'd do if I lost him."

"No, I have no problem with deer or fowl. They are my preferences for hunting." She smiled at him, letting him think he was the only one in her thoughts. Leaning across the table, she plucked the grape from his fingers with her teeth, letting him see just how delicate her touch could be. The grape was not pierced or cut as she took it in her mouth, and swallowed it whole.

"Yes, of course." This, the idea of meeting the king. Of course, yet another thing Valère kept from her. "We shall be the picture of propriety. After all, I would not want to offend your father..." Reaching across, she brushed the back of his hand with her own, seeking to display some comfort for him.

"I'm sure that things will work out the way they are supposed to. No matter how little you think of yourself, I think you will make a fine king."

(Talking with Gavin)

Eloran considered the note, furrowing his brow as he thought. "My Prince, I will serve personal guard to the King during his private meetings." He said it with finality. "It's a matter of my duty." he explains.

(When Honore shows up)

He greeted the Comtesse politely. "Good morning, Comtesse." he said when she finally sat down, professional and unobtrusive.

The Knight set to eating with furious zeal, silently stabbing and chewing. He would have a servant get him a side of bacon afterward, he made a note to himself. It wasn't unpleasant company, he thought. The Comtesse seemed to have an alliance on her mind, he could tell, and that was the goal, after all.

Something bugged him, though. She was being rather to the point about it. She had an objective, the Knight could smell it. He'd spent too much time cutting his way through political webs of intrigue to be oblivious. There was also the matter of her sister, Valere, who had gone to pains to make herself unremarkable, allowing Honore to take the spotlight.

Shadows were never good, he thought. He watched Gavin and Honore while they talked, trying to spot a chink in the armor of words.

Gavin smiled, taking Honore's hand. "I am sure that when the time comes, I will find my strength. I just pray that the day comes later rather than sooner." He took a bite of the pastry before him. "Oh, and I've scheduled a hunt for tomorrow. It should be a nice day and the vigerous activity should prove a nice diversion."

Running his thumb over her hand, he said, "How is your sister? I haven't seen much of Comtess Valera. She is well?" He knew that travel could upset the delicate nature of a woman. Maybe he should send a note to his sister to visit with Valera if she was unable to come to the morning meetings.

Eventually a servant came and let the two young princes out of their rooms and led them to where the first meeting was to take place. Finding there seats it seemed they were the firsts there, once they found their letter they understood why. Calling the small servant back they asked him to lead them to the king. They had no need to stay put and wait for the others, when they could be discussing things with the king. Moving along the many passages and corridors Tansen wondered why the King would wish to see them if he was so close to death. Then the fear arose in his mind that, what if the man should die while the two were talking to him. Would they get blamed for the act? He regained control of his thoughts just as they approached the door. The servant led them in and announced them. The strode in then bow to the King of the land, making sure not to come up until told to do so, as a sign of respect.

The king was a frail, old man who could barely raise his hand anymore. Once, he had been robust, but his illness had robbed him of his facilities. He was wrapped in a pile of blankets to keep his skinny frame warm. His skeletal face managed to show some surprise as the Loidite princes were ushered into his private chambers.

"Not wasting time this morning, are you," he wheezed. "You'll have to forgive me if I do not return the gesture. I haven't been myself."

He motioned for them to sit on the chairs placed by his bed. "I'm glad you came. You must be Prince Tansen. Your father speaks very highly of you. I hope my son is showing you curtesy while you are in my lands," he said. He turned his head as he coughed. "Gavin is a good boy, much like yourself, Prince Tansen. And my daughter is a wonderful girl, good head on her shoulders. You'll like her, if you meet her. Gavin can be very protective of his sister, treats her like a glass baubble."

"A hunt sounds wonderful, your highness. Perhaps it will settle everyone's restless spirits." The Ritter Hex near by would have few reasons to fault her other than the fact she was a Goldspar whore, as they were likely to put it. That was something she could not help. She gave him a smile any time she saw him looking her way, to let him know she saw him, but other than that, her attention was focused solely on Gavin.

"As for my sister, I would not recommend sending your sister to her. Valère is..." she paused, trying to think of a way that would not insult her sister or his sister's capabilities. "fractious when she first gets to a new place until she gets her bearings. She does not like to travel, but she would not let me do this alone." she softened then, and looked over at Gavin with a smirk upon her lips. "She is overprotective of me. She sees me much like you see your sister. Valère is often quiet and reserved until she warms up to people." She was still slightly annoyed that her sister hadn't mentioned anything about seeing the king. She hadn't, hadn't she? Thinking back to this morning, there may have been something, but she had not been paying attention.

The two brothers sat in the chairs designated for them. The two were amazed to see the man in such bad shape. Through out the war it seemed the man had well able to rule his country. Now Tansen could very well see why, Gavin acted like he was the king of the land. There would be very few ruling coming from this shell of a man.

"Yes, well we were not inclined to talk much at his mornings meetings." He gave his brother a look that Deston quickly understood. It was one telling the young man not to say a word about the last few moments of last night. But Deston just shrugged his elder brother off. If the topic were to come up he would speak. His brother had no real power over him while they were in Anastaria.

Tansen nodded as the King spoke, "Yes your son is very... understanding. It is hard on him to see us in his land, though we are both quickly coming to an understanding of each others ways." Tansen held back a smirk, as he thought of all the things his words ment. Of course it would seem as though he only spoke good of the prince to the King.

Tansen decided not to comment on the princess. This had turned out to be a touchy subject and he was unsure what to say. He thought about his option for a moment. These talks always seemed like a miniature battle to Tansen. One must choose in which order to speak of things. Sending all your units in a dead charge at the enemy was almost never a wise decision. Before he could say anything Deston spoke up. "Congratulations on her marriage by the way." Tansen nearly jumped out of the chair as he heard his brother speak. Tansen swore he was dropped on his head as a child.

Gavin nodded. "I know how protective siblings can be. I will make sure that Diane doesn't disturbe Valere today. Diane can be overly friendly at times, she's so eager to finally get to meet guests." He moved his thumb over the soft skin of her wrist, lightly pressing over her pulse. He hoped he could get a letter to Diane before his sister got it in her head to start bothering his guests.

The king smiled at Deston's words. "Yes, quite a bit of luck, eh? Have you had a chance to meet with Diane? It's not the first time you've seen her, Prince Tansen. You were still young when your father and I tried to approach peace. We met on Loidi soil without the benefit of mediators. Daine and Gavin were still in swaddling clothes. I kept Gavin by my side, but you were put in charge of watching Diane. That's when I thought a marriage between our families would be usefull. Too bad your father ruined that."

He placed a hand on Tansen's arm, his skin as thin as parchment paper. "WE have a second chance here. I don't think the same mistakes will be made."

Tansen shot his brother an evil look then went back to the king. He had few memories of the time the king talked about. Everything back then seemed so different. It was before everything that made him who he was. It was before the war. Tansen shook his head, as the kings leathery skin touched his, "I have no idea what you mean sir. We are here to talk peace are we not? Why do you speak of meetings from the past?" He knew the man and his father were not the best of friends so he let the fact that he insulated him slide, with little more then a grimace upon his face.

Deston smiled back seeing the king take the news rather well. He had no idea why his brother was mad at him. If anyone were to know about the marriage surely it would be the king. But he to sat there wondering what it was the king was getting at, it made little sense to even him how the princes would affect the treaty now.

Honorè chuckled, "Yes, she is very eager." Her meaning of course not meant for any but herself, especially not her overprotective brother. "I appreciate the delicacy in which you've handled the situation." She felt her pulse leap slightly under his fingers. Honorè herself had no modesty unless it was a tool to be used, but it did seem passingly strange that Gavin was being so bold right under the eye of the Ritter Hex, especially knowing how they likely felt about Goldspar.

"After we finish eating, I can apply the unguent to your hair if you wish. It looks a little rough for wear." She reached up, and ran her fingers along Gavin's cheek, the fingertips sliding along the braid in his hair, it was an intimate and familiar caress. "Truly, you look most handsome with the warriors braid."

The king smiled. "We are here to talk of peace and of a new future. You must not remember that fateful meeting. Your father and I were going to sign the betrothal papers when it all went sour." He leaned back in his bed. "It must have been a shock when Gavin approached you with the papers. Have you seen Diane?" The king sat up a bit. "You did sign the papers, didn't you?"

It was starting to be obvoius that the king, as had Diane, mistook Deston's congradulations to mean Tansen. Confusion clouded the old man's face as he tried to figure out why the Prince wasn't more excited about the upcoming nuptials.

Gavin smiled, "I will be honored if you applied the unguent. I think the braid suits me. I may never take it down." He winked at her, continuing to eat. He enjoyed looking good for her. It was such a little thing, wearing a braid. He truly felt handsome around her.

Tansen looked at the king his jaw slack as his brother started laughing uncontrollably, nearly tipping his seat backwards. "My-your highness you are mistaken. Diane is to marry Lord Martinez, of Danbar." He had forgotten in the events and of the night before that the king had wanted Diane to marry him. It was to late now to act as if he had already knew this knowledge and so continued to play along.

The king seemed to shrink into himself. "Well, that's disappointing. I'll have to talk to Gavin about that. You were supposed to be Diane's husband. It was decided. Maybe Gavin misheard me."

He settled deeper in his bed "I'll talk to my son. It's not like she's married yet. You can still win out. You're a nice boy, and she needs a strong hand." The king gave Tansen a wink and a smile, his old self shining through. "I'm sure you can convince her to break the engagement. You have your father in you."

"After breakfast then. The unguent smells pleasant enough, but the properties it has tends to make hands a little oily afterward." With that said, she went about finishing up her breakfast. She wondered if the Ritter Hex had anything against Goldspar, or if it was just magic. After all, while Goldspar hadn't been directly involved in the war, there were mercenary troops that 'helped' sometimes in smaller battles.

"Have you ever tried Goldspar windfin? It's delicious, the animals are as large as small ponies and leap across the waves in clusters but their meat is tender and almost falls off the bone with a minimum of cooking." She was making idle chit chat at this point, for once not quite sure what to say, her sister's words ringing still in her ears.

It was not Diane who Tansen was worried about convincing. "Thank you sire." He decided not to tell him, his son had deliberately disobeyed him. The man seemed to grandfatherly for Tansen to hurt. Seeing the man shrink into his covers, Tansen could sense the talk was coming to a conclusion. "I'm sure we'll figure something out. Perhaps we should go now. I believe the breakfast meeting will begin soon. Was there someone you for me to send up?" Tansen stood up and his brother followed right behind him. Deston was confused at how Tansen proposed he was going to make Gavin and Diane change their minds. His brother hadn't even shown in interest in women until he came here.

Gavin shook his head. "No, I've never tried that. We don't tend to get meat as an inport. Maybe, by the end of these treaties, we can work something out." He smiled, the thought of her hands being a little oily. The idea of them sliding against his skin caused shivers to surge through his body.

"I look forward to you putting the unguent on, my dear," he said. He pulled a hand to his lips, kissing each fingers. "I would also like to request that you have dinner with me in my private chambers tonight. It's an invitation, you do have the right to say no if you wish to." He understood that some women didn't want to get too close until the moment the engagement was announced. He wouldn't be upset if she said no.

She looked uncertain, letting the emotions flit over her face as she debated the wisdom of accepting such an offer and what it could potentially mean. "I'm confused, your highness. I thought that we were all to dine together each night?" , she finally settled on that as a response. It was not a rejection, nor was it an acceptance. She sought clearer terms, because Valère would strangle her if she fouled this whole thing up. And while she might enjoy the trip, she would not enjoy the 'happy ending'.

"Ideally yes, but we can have a later dinner together. Maybe a snack instead. I just would like to be with you longer and I fear that these conversations would cut into my time to shower you with the attention you deserve." Gavin finished his breakfast. "I should also go see my father before we start the meetings. Everyone should still be eating. You and your sister are invited to speak to him later on."

He waved a servant over to take any empty dishes away. Once the dishes were gone, he smiled at Honore. Breakfast was a good excuse to see her, and he wanted to spend more time with her. However, duty was calling and he had to prepare his father for when the others saw him. He couldn't let his father find out about Diane's engagement just yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom