Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Trouble with Treaties

Status
Not open for further replies.
She nibbled on her lip, letting him see uncertainty before she lifted up her eyes to his sight, let him see the promise of pleasure that she held within them. "As much as I would like to, I don't think that it would be proper. I don't want to taint the meetings if anyone should see anything untoward." Not a rejection once again, but enough to fan the flame of desire for the prince. She wanted to see him, but it was not proper. And she cared about propriety, like a good woman would.

"However there is one promise I would keep." She first cleaned her fingers of food by rinsing them in a bowl set aside for that purpose and then wiping them on a small towel. And then smiling at Gavin, she reached into the small pouch at her side, and dipping her fingers within, they came out covered in a small purple powder. It seemed dry enough. But as she reached towards him, her deft fingers quickly untangled his hair, heedless of the watching Ritter Hex; if Gavin's words were true she would have to get used to them, now wouldn't she? With her back to the Ritter Hex, she straightened and re-plaited his hair, her body pressed fast against his side, so that his hip and arm would feel every soft curve of her front side, from her firm but soft breasts, down the curve of her torso, with the back of his hand pressed to the juncture off her thighs.

Gavin's breath came in a shudder as she pressed against him. He wanted to pull her to him and just run off. However, he had to control himself. With his hand at the juncture of her legs, he gently pushed up, just a small movement that would be covered by her body. A promise of his devotion to her, of his lust.

"I hope you at least continue to have breakfast with me," he said. "I would enjoy your company for as long as you are here." He smiled down at her, letting her fix his hair. "Once these talks are over, I will make you my wife. I don't care about your status, you will be a princess - a queen," he whispered softly.

Against his ear, Honorè sighed softly, the sound intimate and intoxicating when you're already under a cloud of lust. "My breakfasts are yours, Gavin..." Her voice was low and for his ears only, the slight impropriety meant to inflame him like much of what she'd done this morning. "And after I am your wife, then my nights too." letting the promise linger on her lips, the final bit of the braid hanging beside his chin.

Masako would be up early that morning only to face a semi-frantic search for something at least half-way decent to wear but only had the black leather outfit she'd arrived in and the other dress. Other than that she had a chain shirt and metallic bracers and Leather greaves for riding along with more casual clothing. "This probably won't due that well." she said and thought about it for a few moments, considering just what might be appropriate to wear as she didn't have that much time to decide in the end. She'd get up and strip off her clothing and bandage up her chest to make it look a bit smaller, though it couldn't do much. "I'm probably going to regret this a bit later, I just hope I don't get caught." she said and began to cast a spell, an arcana symbol forming on the floor as she did and began to glow a soft purple color as she put the clothing into it, except the armor. Masako was using a bit of fabrication magic she'd picked up to help make clothing on the fly when she needed to, useful when you didn't have time to make a new coat in the dead of winter.

In a few moments she'd transmute it all together into an outfit that should last for at least 24 hours. She'd come out of her room in a few moments with the leather corseted dress with the area that covered her legs to fit a bit closer to her legs and still allowed for easy movement, at least without tripping and the deep-v in the leather dress covered by the red satin of the other dress, her arms covered by the sleeves of the red dress cuffed into the silvery bracers that bore a sword enfolded in bat wing emblem of her family on them. Masako would braid her hair into the thick braid and exited the room to go meet the others, walking with grace and dignity instead of the naughty strut she had the previous day.

"Hello good sir, can you tell me where everyone is meeting this morning?" she asked one of the Ritter Hex politely. "And Please carry my compliments to Lord Eloran, I was quite impressed with him yesterday."

Eloran silently shoveled food into rending teeth, half listening. The Prince wasn't taking this very seriously, he thought. Spending most of his time flirting, breaking the plan before it had begun when he decided to marry away the Princess frivolously. He brooded to himself, mind dark and frustrated, anxious for all the talking to end. That's when swords will speak. He thought, the future grim in his eyes.

"What's this oiled, braid thing mean, exactly. I know it's some sort of declaration, or pact, right?"

Breakfast was a somber affair in the chambers of the Danbari Deligation. Silence reigned through the rooms, servants breaking thier fast out of the Lord's sight, filling themselves with what meager gruel was to be found for the slaves and servants in the Anastarian larder, while the Lord pecked at the fruit brought in. He ate only with his right hand, his left holding down the pages of the tome he had liberated the previous night. The letters seemed to have his full attentions, line after line passing under his fingers. Every few moments he would flip a page, scanning through it once more. It took a solid hour, before his hand reached for another piece of fruit, only to find the platter empty, only the note he had read earlier remaining.

With a groan, he stood up, his joints popping loudly as his body stretched out. The tome he was reading was shut, left on the small table where he had ate. Without a word he crossed over towards his chests, two of his retinue peeling away from thier meals to attend to him. He closed his eyes as his people fitted him. The only sound coming from him a grunt as a sash was tied tightly. He lowered his arms slowly as the final layer was donned, turning around slowly before brushing his servants off. He crossed back towards one of his smaller chests, lifting first a fine wooden case, scrolled with a procession of warriors along the top, a simple, if well done bit of wood working. He handed it over to one of his servants, instructing the man quietly to make sure it was delivered to the Prince's chambers before noon. And with that, he swept out of his room, pausing only to take a worn, cracked, leather bound book. It was unmarked, with a curl in it showing it had been rolled up, stuffed into a scroll case or perhaps a pocket many times in its life. It was curled up in his left hand, the Lord Martinez stalking out his door, and taking a quick turn towards the women's quarters. Not to Diane's, or one of the other deligates. He was striding with purpose towards where the old woman was quartered. He was still scowling, his shoulders back, hsi steps even, measured, and quick as he marched towards her quarters.

After finishing her breakfast, Diane thought over what she could do to occupy her morning. She had lunch with Lord Martinez, but she wasn't sure what he would really expect. She remembered that Martinez had arrived with a frail, old woman. Maybe that as his mother or something. She'd be able to help Diane.

Slowly, she made her way to the old woman's rooms. She had to move slowly because the ribbon Honore places through her legs rubbed against her sensitive flesh. She had to bite back a moan if she moved the wrong way. Knocking on the old woman's door, she announced herself and waited for the door to open.

Gavin smiled, looking deep in Honore's eyes at her promises. It was a promise he couldn't wait to make good on. Still looking at Honore, he answered Eloran, "The braid is a promise for later. Don't worry about it."

Coming back to himself, he moved to quickly write a note to Diane. He gave it to a servant, not wanting his sister to bother Valere. He didint' know she had already left her rooms. "Let's go see the Loidites," he said. "I would like to know when they plan on seeing Father. After them, you are scheduled, my dear Comtess." He kissed the comtess's oiled fingers and took a step away before he would be tempted to embarass her.

"The sooner, the better, my lord.", she whispered as he kissed her hands, hinting that since last night her mind might have been swayed further to his cause, even as she gave him a title that normally only the wife of a prince might have given him. A wife's husband was her lord. But she gave him no further hints, but only smiled as he made to leave.

"I look forward to meeting him, your highness." This time her voice was louder, meant for the Ritter Hex's ears. She then bowed and waited for him to leave. After all, it was his right to do so.

Gavin did leave, but only to head to the meeting room to see if the Loidites were there yet. Actually, he had to see if anyone had gone there. He planned on going over certain trade routes today, something that he was sure Lord Martinez would like to be there to help hammer out. After all, any of Loidi's trades meant for Anstaria had to take a ship down to Danbar before coming into Anstaria. It would mean a whole new way of things.

Sitting at the table, he pulled out the papers and waited. He was sure that this would be something he and Prince Tansen could agree on. More money in both their pockets.

Jaren slowed down, seeing a person ahead, one of the castle's women heading towards the same door that had been his destination. His pace died off quickly, slowing to a crawl as he saw the small hand reach up and rap upon the heavy frame. His fist clutched the book tighter, curling it around another inch, he stepped aside, angling behind the line of that woman's periphery, keeping as out of sight as possible in the hall. His eyes narrowed, watching as the door opened slowly...

The door cracked open. With a creeking squeel a blast of hot air rushed out to greet the princess. Inside a fire roared, crackling loudly. The woman was bundled up in heavy furs still, despite the heat of the room. Not a bead of sweat appeared on her brow. She breathed raggedly, trembling as she peered out at the princess.

"... your desires, lady?"

Diane smiled. "I would like to talk to you about Lord Martinez," she said. "If you have some time, there are some questions I'd like to ask." She fiddled with her skirt. "If you have time, that is. I hope I'm not interupting."

She waited until she was allowed in. the room was so hot that Diane felt sweat start to drip down her back. She wished she didn't have to wear so many layers of clothes. Sitting at the small table, she smoothed her skirts. "I suppose I should start off with the fact I am having lunch with Lord Martinez today. I don't know if I was supposed to know or not, but my brother and he have discussed a betrothal. I wish to make a good impression on him, and I thought you might help me."

The two princes moved down through the halls, hoping to catch the cook still making breakfast. Deston obnoxiously singing the tune, "Tansen and Diane kissing in a tree. K-I-S-S-I-N-G..." Only quieting down once they turned a corner. Tansen quickly became annoyed and tried everything short of hitting his brother to make him stop. Bribes, his own little torture, threats. Nothing seemed to work. Eventually Tansen stopped in front of the meeting room, the door open, turning around to his brother and shoving him. "Are you really that bound and determined to get us killed here?!"

Gavin stood as Tansen and his brother walked in. "Prince Tansen, I was waiting for you," he said. "I hope you found breakfast to your liking. If there is anything you need to change in the menu, please let me know." He looked down at the papers. "Also, I don't know if you have had a chance yet, but my father is eager to talk to you."

He would have to wait for Martinez to come to the meeting before he could address the trades with Tansen. As much as he loved Honore, he could go through some of this trade agreement while she was visiting his father or doing whatever she was doing now. He'd run the agreement by her before it was finalized.

Once he'd gone, Honorè arose and wondered how to spend the rest of her morning. She had no other plans for the morning besides meeting the king; she wasn't even sure when that would be. She'd simply have to wait on a servant to come and tell her the king was ready for them, she supposed. It was the thing that Honorè hated the most off all, bored with nothing to do.

Lifting her skirts, she decided the best thing to do would be to head to the library. She wasn't sure if she could truly be a wife. let alone a queen like Gavin deserved or thought her to be. She was not given to idleness like the women of Anastaria. As she approached the library, she wasn't even sure what she'd find to read. Something to simply pass the time. As she entered though, she saw that the entire library was not as pitiful as she'd thought it might be at first. The poetry books did not interest her despite the clerk's determination to point her in that direction. Instead, she found a book on the laws of estate. This would tell her whether Gavin's marriage to her would damage him. It was not unknown for a prince to be disinherited for marrying a woman not of his class. And while Honorè was a noble, she was not in the true high peerage, even in her country.

Sitting down with the book, she began to read.

Tansen looked over surprised to see Gavin already there. He looked down at his hungry stomach, sighing as food would have to come later it seemed. "Nothing I can complain about so far." Deston was about to say something, but from the look of the mood his brother was in, he was actually worried his brother would really hit him. The two princes took there seats in the meeting room. It felt a bit weird being in there with so few people, Tansen realized.

"Actually, we've already met him your highness." He chose not to go into details as of what they talked about. It was to early in the morning to fight, and keep his wits about him. Deston on the other hand, was ready for the scene but decided he'd make it in front of the others. Speaking out he just had to know how long he would have to wait for that. "Do you know when the other delegates will be here?"

"I am sure they will join us once they finish dinner. Though, now that you've seen my father, it is the Comtesses turn. My father is very sick, so he might have to rest between meetings," Gavin said. "Tomorrow, we'll have a hunt. YOu do hunt, right?"

He looked back down at the papers. "When Lord Martinez arrives, there is some important issues I wish to discuss with you." He wanted today to be less angry then yesterday. Hopefully, it was more productive.

Tansen nodded though Deston looked at him worriedly. But Tansen just spoke to him quietly, "I'll teach you later." Deston satisfied with what was going to happen, decided he no longer needed to be at this meeting. "Well in that case, I think I shall leave then. I have no place in these talks." Getting up, he quickly left before his brother could put up some protest.

Tansen sighed then turned back to Gavin. "What kind of issues is it you wish to discuss?" He was glad his brother chose not to pick the fight this time. Perhaps it was better he left after all, Tansen thought.

Deston moved his way down the hall looking for the Lord Martinez's quarters. Finding he was not there, he began roaming the halls, in search. He made his way to his favorite place in the castle, the library, hoping to have a bit of luck on the issue.

"You saw him already? You were scheduled for an hour from now! Who let you in to see him!" Eloran looked at them intensely for a moment, lip twitching, before he took a deep breath. He grumbled and searched his belt pouches for his cigarrettes, lighting one and breathing out the smoke slowly, relaxing. "I suppose it's all right, I'd know by now if you tried anything."

He kissed his smoke again, and brushed some wavy black hair from his eyes. "I've resolved not to provoke you, Prince Tansen. I was on edge last night, and I apologize, from a host to a guest. But you still owe me a drink."

He leaned against a wall, and finished his cigarette, a strange little smile playing at his lips, while his eyes remained hard and anxious.

After a moment he grumbled, and sent a nearby Ritter Hex to get two named men to serve as Gavin's silent shadow. They will remain unobtrusive but protective should things go awry, and most important was that both were honest men that Eloran knew personally. When they arrived, Eloran gave them the orders, and excused himself. "Well, my Lords, it seems we are ahead of schedule, and that Comtesse Honore may be meeting with the King at any moment. I excuse myself as I will attend to his guard for the duration of the meeting. Prince Gavin, you will be accompanied by Ritter Hansel and Ritter Mauler in my abscense."

He leaves quickly, a bit embarrassed by being caught off guard, but relieved that all had gone smoothly. Maybe things were going well, he grimaced. Maybe he could relax.....

No. Relax and things go wrong....

She'd been at it but a short while when a servant intruded upon her solitude.

"Milady, the king awaits you and your sister in his quarters."

Honorè glanced up, she hadn't expected it to be so quickly. "Yes, of course." She hadn't found what she sought yet, but handed the book to the servant. "If you would, have this taken to our rooms." After the servant had taken the book, she took her leave once more from the library and headed to the men's quarters, asking directions to the private quarters of the king's.

"Your majesty?" she entered quietly as the servants at the door opened those very doors. As she stepped within sight of the man, she knelt, keeping her head bowed. "I am at your service, your majesty."

The door opened fully. The chamber had been decorated over the night, or so it seemed. Banners had been hung from unusual spots in the chamber, over seats, over the bed, a pennant was attached to the doorway itself. They came in a wide variety of colors, greens, blues, blacks, reds, whites, emblazoned with the marks of houses both familair and strange, heraldic symbols as simple as the stag, to as complex as the ancient family emblems of houses who added with each conquest. All were marked by fine embroidery, but hardly the strangest thing this woman did.

She walked, shuffling her feet back towards a long table she had someone set up in her chambers. It had only two chairs, one a ramshackle three legged stool, made from peasant hands and obviously not of the castle's normal decore. Opposite it across the short distance of the table was one of the chamber's normal chairs. The old lady shuffled around the table, taking up the stool. She lowered herself slowly, bones popping and cracking as she took her seat.

The table was a mess. Before both seats were clear spots, but hte rest was littered with tubes, boxes, and curios of quite a wide variety. The old woman's hand reached out, taking up a pile of coins in her bony fingers. Strange coins, an Anastarian piece was in there, at least, but also coinage from Goldspar, Loidi, Danbar, Hekata, and locales more exotic. The woman held them up in her worn palm towards the sky, and towards the Princess.

"What is your question, lady?" her voice came out as half of a whipser and a screech, ancient tongue unable to keep the dust of years out of her voice.

The old king smiled as Honore walked in. "Well, you are a sight for sore eyes," he wheezed. "Never thought I'd see a delegate that was so pretty." He struggled to sit up and had to get help from a healer. "In my day, the delegates were all stuffy old men. It's nice to see some change." He gave a wheezing laugh and motioned for her to sit down as he was caught up in a coughing fit.

Diane looked around the room before turning her attention on the old woman. "I want to know how to be a good wife for him. I want to know what he likes, so I can hold his attention." She would be the good wife she was raised to be, and keep Honore's lessons for private times.

Gavin tapped the papers. "Just some trade agreements. I think we tried to talk about it yesterday, but tempers flared. We can approach this with a fresh mind." He smiled, trying to be friendly. "This should be easier to come to a conclusion when we are not at each other's throats."

"Your majesty!?"

She started forward as the old man began coughing. Her hand gripped the bag at her side. She had not expected to see him in such a shape, no matter what Gavin's words. "If I may be so bold. I have Goldsparian unguent with me. If spread upon the chest, it might ease your cough." What a strange woman Honorè was, so easily driven to kindness, despite her harshness. The unguent was known within warriors circles to be breathed in to ease the congestion of a cough from cold as well as a mark of a warrior; often a warrior would use the braid at his side to have it within easy reach of his nose. In truth, the unguent had many properties. But it was a rare thing that was not exported, not even for royalty.

She knelt again instead of taking the seat, offering lifting her hands with the small packet of unguent with quiet resolve, offering no threat, only a desire to help.

"Yes yesterday was a bit... ecstatic." Tansen laughed a bit halfheartedly. He knew it would come to that point one time or another during the day. He drummed his fingers on the desk, wondering what kind of deals the prince had planned.

Deston finding no such luck decided to check if Martinez was out in the gardens then, taking a short cut through the women's quarters, he was surprised to find the man standing in the hallway, doing what appeared to be spying on a conversation. He moved as quietly as he could up to the lord, whispering, "My lord. The king wishes for me to tell you that your lunch with the princess has been canceled. Oh and the prince wishes to see you in the meeting room, as soon as possible. Their trying to work some trade things out and say they can't do it without you."

The healer took the unguent from Honore. After examining it, he applied it on the king's chest. It would be unseemly for a woman to touch the king like that. Almost immediately, the king started to breathe better. The healer gave the unguent backt to Honore.

"Thank you, young lady," the king said. "You are a credit to your kingdom." He motioned for her to sit down. "I'm glad you came, Comtess. How are things in Goldspar? STill rocky?"

Gavin looked at the prince. They would have some time until Martinez showed up. "What did you and my father talk about? You did see him rather early. He was doing well?"

"He was doing quiet well actually. He seemed to almost be healthy when we started talking." Tansen smiled and nodded, hoping Gavin would look over and ignore the fact that he chose not to answer what it was they talked about. He also chose not to say how his father seemed to get worse after there discussion about the marriage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom