Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Trouble with Treaties

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, there'd be a small problem with Diane leaving the room. Nicole was blocking the door. "Stop, your highness." Nicole did not use titles for other people, but if it got her attention, all the better. "The reason you are unworthy is because you're becoming the mindless creature you said you did not want to be. Think. If something truly had happened, right after an assassination attempt, would not Gavin, Honorè herself or at least a small squadron of Ritter Hex be at your door, surrounding you and protecting you even against your will. Most likely, no one has cleared up what's gone wrong from before when people thought he was dead."

"If you don't calm down this second, and try to truly think, I will personally tell Honorè that you're nothing but unthinking, blind creature. The most telling feature of a man is how he acts when he's challenged, not when he's at peace." She put a hand on Diane's shoulder. "That being said, I do not think it unwise to take protection. Do not rely on anyone else for your protection. But for heaven's sake, be more discreet about it." After she'd said her peace, she moved, and unlocked the door. Either she would continue to be a foolish girl with no thought in her head, or she would learn to be a true gem of a princess. Worthy and equal of her brother. The choice was hers as far as Nicole was concerned.

~~~~

The priest had a acolyte run off to have another sheet of the document brought out, luckily the clerk had a quick as well as beautiful hand. Once they had all the copies, the priest had begun the ceremony. Honorè was surprised at herself, despite her normal quick memory for the details of things around her, she wasn't thinking or looking at anything else but Gavin. For probably the first time in her life, she was acting and looking like a besotted woman. She heard Gavin speak, but it took a moment for the priest's voice to register to her brain.

"Honorè? Do you take Gavin to be your husband – to live together after God’s ordinance – in the holy estate of matrimony? Will you love him, comfort him, honor and keep him, in sickness and in health, for richer, for poorer, for better, for worse, in sadness and in joy, to cherish and obey...." That earned him a glare, and Gavin an arched eyebrow but he continued for the second time", forsaking all others, keep yourself only unto him as long as you both shall live?" That last one got a chuckle from her, with certain things taken into consideration, that last one would likely be subject to negotiation. While she wouldn't normally leave it to said negotiation, there was a certain rush to things.

She looked at the priest, and then Gavin with a soft smile. "the obey might be a little tough sometimes, but I do..." she was lighthearted in a way that she would never be in public. It was usually only her sister and slaves that got to see her thus.

"I now pronounce you husband and wife." the priest then looked at Gavin and smiled, knowing the signs of a boy full in lust. "You may kiss the bride..."

And as to be expected, Honorè's first act of dis-obedience was to place each of her hands on Gavin's cheeks and kiss him passionately before he could do the same to her. After the kiss would end, she'd be smirking even as she gave him her own promise, that the priest would not hear. "In public you shall have my obedience. In private...we'll see..." The very words seemed to promise something that she was sure he'd enjoy.

Eloran paced the room nervously, anger slowly growing inside him. If Gavin was getting information from the Comtesses, he was taking his sweet time. This was important, the Prince should be here, solving the problem.

He cursed, looking at his weak King and the frustrated healer tending to him. "Amox" he snarls, his anger seeping through into his voice. A teen aged boy in a squire's tunic approached Eloran. "Yes, sir?"

"Go fetch Prince Tansen and Prince Deston, the Loidite visitors. Tell their guards this is my order, and be pleasant to our guests." He spits the word. "I need to speak with them, it is important."

"Yes, sir." Eloran's squire, Amox Harrison, ran off to do his Knight's bidding. He knocked on the door to the Loidite's room a few minutes later after scurrying through the stone hallways.

"Sir Eloran has requested an audience with you, Prince Tansen, and Prince Deston." Amox bows to one knee as he addresses them.

The guards in the room grunt, and step away from the doorway.

Tansen heard the young lad enter the room and quickly moved shoving his bag under the bed. "What is it now?" Tansen spoke curtly. He was in no mood to be pushed around more by the Ritter Hex. He moved quickly across the room to where the boy was standing.

"Sir Eloran wishes to speak to you and your brother, your highness." The boy must have been no older than thirteen yet already one could see the signs of a warrior begin to grow on him. It was a nice change though from the large lurking guards he was used to.

"My brother is in the feast halls I would expect." He moved round the boy swiftly forcing the small lad to put a little spring in his step to keep up. Quickly making it to the halls where once again the boy had the Ritter move and let open the doors. Deston was still sitting in his seat seemingly lost in thought, but quickly came out once he heard the door move.

"Aha! Life! I was afraid everyone had disappeared of the edge of the world. So what's new?" Deston moved with the grace he had learned in his studies, to his brother and the young squire. He knew nothing good would come from the two being called upon by a squire but it was a nice change from the boring room.

"We are to meet with the Ritter Eloran. Apparently there are problems in security." Tansen held back a smile, glad as he was to see his brother safe and sound. In his mind he started to think if Eloran would really accuse the two of the crimes apparently being called into question. If so it would be helpful if Deston kept his mouth shut.

The two began moving down the halls to the king's room, at a faster than normal pace. Both Tansen and Deston had no wish to stay in suspicion any longer than needed. "Great. So I take it, we will be blamed for such 'problems'?" Deston chuckled as he replied sarcastically. The three made it two the door, and the princes waited for the squire to give them passage in.

Diane moved the small dagger to a pocket in her dress. "I am thinking clearly," she said. "I am going to the gardens to do what I would be doing if all hell had not broken loose. I will continue on this path until someone tells me what is going on. Whether I eat with Prince Tansen or Lord Martinez, surely one of those men will know something. And coming from lands that do not always hide knowledge from women, maybe they will tell me what my own brother would not."

She moved past Nicole, holding her head up high and ready to show that she believed all was well. No assassin would find her an easy mark. She made her way to the garden and waited for her lunch date.

Gavin smiled, stroking a hand down Honore's face. "In private," he whispered, "I will gladly see all that you can be. Claws and all, my love." He turned to sign the papers and then held the pen to Honore for her to sign.

"I can't have you spend too many nights in my room before we tell the world of this," Gavin said, "however, I do not wish to be cheated of a wedding night with my bride. Come to my rooms tonight, after everyone is abed. I will give you a missive incase you are stopped."

Tonight, Gavin intended to be with his wife. No one, not even the Ritter Hex, would stop him.

Not that it was unexpected, but that did put a damper on her plans for Diane. Perhaps she would leave Nicole with her. That way she could get some satisfaction as well as training. Yes, that would do it. With that settled, she turned to Gavin with a smile that was sweet, yet full of heat. Bedroom promises...

"Of course, husband o'mine." she signed each copy of the paper swiftly, putting her own signet down as well to mark it. It was strange. There was no ring on her finger, and she didn't feel married, but she saw the words there on paper. She was no longer one of the comtesse De Morhban, she wasn't sure what she was, but she wasn't one of two now. Except she was and was not. Perhaps it would all make sense in the light of day. With that thought in mind, she smiled at her 'husband'. "I suppose this means we must go back and face my sister now. But what of yours? Should we tell her of this?"

~~~~~

Nicole sighed, at least this was slightly better than before. But the girl was not a good actress. She could only hope that Honorè would come back from the prince's soon. She could at least keep this brat princess under control. But she followed Diane anyways. She had her own orders from Honorè and this was one princess who did not disobey her mistress.

Gavin smiled. "Of course we can tell our respective sisters. Diane will be overjoyed. She'll," he paused as a thought suddenly came to him. Deflated, he looked down. "Damn! I forgot that she was having lunch with Lord Martinez. I didn't tell the Ritter Hex to let him pass for her. Knowing them, they've got the delegates strung up in the dungeons."

He kissed Honore. "Assuming Diane hasn't been locked in her room, she'll be waiting for her lunch date. I'll go make sure that it's all going as planned. If you want, I will be with you when we tell your sister. I won't breathe a word without you." He started for the door before walking back to her. He took off his necklace with his family crest on it. "Take this. If anyone gives you any trouble, show them this. It will prove that you are under my protection and my word. Anything happens to you, and I will see to it that who so ever laid a hand on you is punished by the fullest extent of our laws." He kissed her again and then ran off to make sure that Lord martinez could get to Diane.

Diane made her way to the gardens, ignoring the whispering of the servants. A table was set up, though no one was waiting for her. Diane sat down, wondering how long would be proper to wait before she left. As she waited, she thought of a safety word for Honore. There wasn't much for her to do. it was either wait out here or wait in her room. Waiting, waiting, waiting. Hopefully, marriage would be less waiting and a little more freedom.

"I'm not sure how wise it is to tell my sister." But what was done, was done. Not much could be done about it now, except dispose of Gavin before the bedding. Which, to be honest, Honorè would not put past Valere. She shook off the morbid thought and watched as Gavin walked off, slightly amused as how adamant he'd been about the marriage, and yet how quickly he walked off. She tucked the crest within her bodice and mused thoughtfully.

"Tell me, monsigneor? I just married a prince of a fairly powerful country, and yet I'm second guessing myself. Is that normal?" She didn't have much use for religion usually, but there were moments she remembered her mother's fervernt passion for her own religion and wondered if there wasn't something in it for people. She didn't really expect an answer, but now she wasn't sure what to do with herself.

The guards posted at the entrance to the King's audience chamber haul the heavy doors open when Amox arrives with the requested parties. Their eyes are narrow and bright through their helms, and they slide over the wizards as they walk past.

"Friends!" Eloran bellows at them as they enter, a wide, maniac grin crawls across his face, and his eyes broil with pent up emotion. "I'm going to lay this out real simple. No dancing with words. Are we men of honor, or are we snakes, slithering about the issue, with only malice and greed in our hearts? Do you truly want peace between our lands, or not?"

Tansen came into the room not expecting to be greeted as such. It was definitely not a hostile greeting but it still put Tansen on edge, it was to fast a mood swing from shoving around to calling friends. Still Tansen let a half-hearted smile come across his face. Deston on the other hand had a smile on his face the second he had come through the door. He loved the change of doom and gloom to buddy buddy.

"Thank you good sire. It will be a nice change from these politics, to speak what one really means." Tansen wrapped his hand around the far side of his brothers neck, so it would look like a friendly gesture, but Deston knew it was ment to shut him up before he said anything stupid.

"So were all friends here, and we all just want a bit of peace between our countries then? I think we can get on to why it is you have called for my brother and I." Tansen found a chair where the two could sit and it would look like he was just resting his hand on Deston's chair. He didn't like the look of Eloran's. He looked like a man made with passion, far different than the stoic Ritter he was used to.

Eloran scowls, his expression changing in an instant. "I need your help. That's why I want to know if you truly want peace or not. I need a yes or no answer. If you really don't want peace, there's no reason for you to be here. If you really do....then, I suppose I will owe you a favor, in exchange for helping our Kingdom."

He paces the room anxiously. "It's that easy. Yes or no. If you want it, we can make it work. If you don't, I don't know why you showed up in the first place."

Jaren smiled as he received the letter from the servant. He brought it up slowly towards his nose, sniffing at it just once before taking it back down. With one hand he tore it open, flipping it out, reading its quick message as he sat in that self same chair that he had conducted his meeting from just a scant hour or so ago. He carefully slid the letter into a fold in his robes, pulling his hand out slowly, now empty.

A three count later he pushed up out of his chair with grace, leaving the table at a slow walk. His hands were held over his stomach, tucked into the sleeves of the opposite arm. He nodded to the servant as he left out the open door. He walked past a number of Ritter Hex knights, never saying a word to any of them as he made his way through the corridors. He moved at a stately pace, never lingering, but not exactly hustling either. He had a soft smile on his face, his eyes often drifting from his path until he finally reached the door to the gardens.

Lord Martinez stopped as the sudden sunlight enveloped him. He blinked three times, adjusting to the light before his gaze cleared. Almost immediately his eyes locked onto a table, and a woman sitting at it. His smile widened just a little as he walked over towards the Princess and their lunch.

The priest rolled up his copy of the marriage contract. "Well, I would have to say that yes, it is normal your highness," he said. "You and the prince rushed into this marriage. A process that should take a few months took a few minutes." He started picking up the articals of the marriage and clearing off the alter.

"I won't lie, I don't think a rush and secrecy is good. However, I've known Prince Gavin since he was a little boy. You are the second female he's ever even cared for; the first being his sister. For years, his father has tried to get him interested in women, but he only seemed to care about learning about his kingdom and trying to find the perfect husband for Princess Diane." The priest shook his head. "Those two were so close to each other. I know twins are often close, but not boy and girl twins. After their mother died, Gavin took care of Diane. He never let her out of his sight. After she became an adult, he was forced to stay in the men's quarters, but they spent most of the day together."

He looked down. "I don't know how they'll deal when Diane leaves to live with her husband. It'll be the first time ever they'll be truly apart."

Diane looked up at Lord Martinez approached. Though it was not custom, she stood up to wait until he was at the table. "Lord Martinez," she said, dropping in a curtsy. "I am glad you came. I was starting to worry that my lunch was cancelled."

She smiled at him, motioning for him to join her. "I hope you don't mind, but I took the liberty of ordering us a simple lunch. Nothing too heavy, considering the events of the day."

Jaren bowed down as Diane curtsied, matching her, rising as she rose. His smile was still there, even as he took his seat at the table. His arms came out of his robes, and in his right hand was clutched a curled up book. A soft cover, cracked and worn, stained in spots. It was unmarked, there were places where the edges were frayed and pages that had their corners marked. He set it down on the table to his right before sitting back in his chair. His hands were folded in his lap, his eyes never leaving the princess's face.

"You surprise me. I had worried that you would be as meek as your countrywomen are known for."

Diane's eyes flickered down to her lap for a moment before coming back up to his eyes. "I can be meak, if need be," she said. "However, I know that my brother would want me to continue with the engagement." She smiled, sitting up straighter. "I hope that the engagement is going all right," she said. "I know it's only been a day, but with the excitement, I am worried that something could go wrong."

She reached over the table and laid her hand on Martinez's. She gently rubbed her thumb over his hand, looking him in the eyes. She used the trick that Honore had taught her, and let him see the interest in her eyes. "Just let me know if there is anything I can do to help move the engagement along."

Diane could feel the thin hairs on the back of his hand starting to stand up as her thumb rubbed over him. The smile faded away from his face, his body settling back in the chair, slumping down just another inch. His other hand reached over slowly, resting on top of Diane's, his fingers resting on top of her wrist.

"There is something, Diane," he spoke softly, so that she would barely be able to hear him, much less any servants or knights that might be lingering around. His eyes stared back at hers, catching the dazzling sunlight off her blue irises.

"Tell me what you truly want, Diane. You have dreams, I want to know them."

Deston spoke first this time, he was a bit confused at the Ritter's sudden change of mood, but he was more or less impatient with Eloran asking his question over multiple times. His professors used to use the type of techniques and it annoyed the boy greatly. "Yes, yes. Come on get on with it. It's obvious we are for peace. So how can we help?"

He expected his brother to put pressure along his neck but instead he saw there was a scowl on his face also. Tansen looked long and hard at Eloran, trying to figure the man out. One moment ago it seemed he could have been from the loony house, yet now he was stone cold. Tansen did not like dealing with men that could flip personalities in an instant. It made words very dangerous.

"Hm..." he stared hard at them for a moment, a smile twitching into the corners of his lips. "Very well, let's get this hard part over with." He took a deep breath. "Our King is dying, from a very sudden wasting sickness. Overnight, actually. We think it's magical. In the interest of ending the bloodbath between our nations," he bowed to one knee, to surprised grunts from the other warriors in the room. "I request, my Lords of Loidite, that you attempt to heal our king."

Both Tansen and Deston were taken aback by Eloran's request. Tansen didn't know much about healing magic though he was sure his brother would but even then he doubted the two could ever heal the king, when he was in such a condition. "My good Ritter Hex my brother and I are not healers and your king is obviously in need of a healer. If you so wished we could bring a healer back from our lands."

Deston simply got up and walked over to the king. The man seemed an inch away from death, a shell of a once mighty man. "What are the symptoms?" Deston had no love for the king or Eloran, but saying he saved a the king and brought peace between the two lands was something he couldn't pass up. Magic seemed the only thing he was good at so he beat his brother every chance he got to use it. His mind drifted to dreams of what could happen if it was he did help the king as he waited for an answer.

Eloran smiled again, even wider than before, and shook with excitement. "We can do this?" He looked around the room, at anxious Ritter Hex's, shifting in their armor, their expressions hidden behind their masks. "We can do this!"

He stands up, and extends his hand to Tansen's for a shake. "I'm....impressed....and, I thank you, my Lords, for agreeing so readily to a show of good faith. This can be the beginning of a new era."

Eloran turns to the King and Deston. "The symptoms? He....well, he is not a particularly old man, but he has no energy. He is awake less and less each day, he cannot walk at this point. Coughing fits that are increasingly violent. He can barely eat. Sometimes he....and it pains me to say this of my King, he goes insane. He rambles for hours...it seems to be nonsense, though, I have heard very similar tongues spoken by cultists during rituals, dark sorcerers who seem to sprout up and disappear from time to time in the more remote wilderness areas of Anstaria. Not all of them are related to Loidi, and many are outcasts even among your people. It....well, to my ear, at least, does not sound like the spells that Loidite wizards typically invoke. I believe it's a curse, and it seems unlikely that it is any of your doing, especially given your acceptance to help cure him."

"How quickly can you summon your finest healer and cursebreaker?"

Diane leaned forward, her lips brushing his ear. "All I want is to travel, see the world," she said. "I want the freedom to read what I wish and not be restricted to silly poems." Taking a chance, she kissed him softly underneath his ear before sitting back. "I can be whoever you want me to be in public. As your wife, I can be as meek as you desire, as long as I can see the world."

She smiled, running a finger down her neck and the little exposed flesh at her throat. "My requests aren't so demanding. As your wife, I would gather that I'd be traveling with you anyway. I just ask that I'm not locked in my room all the time."

Ritter Hasglow frowned. He was one of the ones assigned to help protect the king, and he was not liking what was going on. They should be protecting the king from wizards, not inviting them to fiddle with the sick monarch. The only spells they knew existed were battle ones, but that didn't mean that the Loidites couldn't have more of an arsenal.

"Sir," he said, stepping forward to Eloran, "is this wise? We know nothing of what is wrong with the king. What if a mixture of magics harms him further?"

"I think it's wise, Hasglow. He's not going to last long without help, anyway. This is the best shot. We're going to get some masters of the craft on the job. I've seen Loidi healers give limbs back to warriors, and remove plagues and infections." He speaks loudly, addressing all the men in the room. "Our duty is to protect Anstaria from magical threats, and currently, our King's health is threatened by magic."

He turns to Tansen. "It would be best if the healers you summoned were honest, good men, supporters of the peace treaty, or at least supporters of you. This will all go badly rather fast if someone attempts to kill him, you see."

Honorè wasn't sure how to respond to the priest. She had let herself get caught up in Gavin's enthusasim, but was it really wise. Yes, she could use him for her own purposes, and normally, she would not have had a problem doing just that. She took the rolled up document and sighed, what was done was done.

"I don't approve either, monsignor. But these peace talks are important to him, which is why I cautioned him. Technically I am supposed to be here to make sure the Loidites aren't taken for granted, if they found out that I'd married Prince Gavin..." A small hoarse chuckle slipped from between her lips. "It could ruin everything for him. Everything he's worked for. And with his father sick...I can be a cruel woman when I need to be, but I have sympathy for him, having no mother."

She left the priest, and began wandering the hallways, not quite sure where she would end up, simply aimlessly roaming, the document tucked into a pocket of her dress. Where she ended up was the stables. Her gelding had been groomed and was happily eating oats. "What do you say we go for a ride, love..." Her somber mood broken with a laugh as the horse reached out to nuzzle her through its feedbag.

Once he was ready, she saddled him herself and trotted him out past the guards. It was interesting to think about, that her freedom might soon be as restricted as her now sister in law. No, she wouldn't allow that, not really. Moving into the forest, she kept her gelding at a gentle trot as she tried to think about everything the last twenty four hours had brought.

Hasglow frowned. "With all due respect, sir, this could be seen as a threat. No offense to the Loidites, but if this is magically influenced - and we have no evidence of such - than wouldn't throwing more magic on it be dangerous?" He found it very suspicious that his commanding officer, a man who fought hard to keep magic out of Anstaria, was now embracing its dark hold.

"If we are going to invite all the magic users here, why not call on the Baroness Masako? Why not see if the Comtesses might know more," Hasglow growled. "This is an unwise move. Even it it were not magically related, letting people who, until just recently, were enemies of the state so close to our dying monarch is ludicrious." He looked over at Tansen and Deston, "No offense meant, of course."

Tansen nodded in agreement with Ritter Hasglow. He didn't want to rush into something that could cause problems. All it would take was someone with a hot temper or one mistake, and the Hex would start the war all over again. "I have to agree with the Ritter Hasglow, Eloran. It would not be safe for us to perform magic in your country. Anything we do could be seen as an act of war. Perhaps if we informed Prince Gavin of your plans, we would be more helpful."

Tansen yanked Deston away from the king. He didn't want to be anywhere near the frail man when he died. Such actions could easily be pinned on the two princes and he saw that clearly. "I understand your concerns completely Ritter Hasglow. I would not be so keen on leaving my father in a weekend state with many Ritter Hex."

Eloran considered for a moment, a smile quirked at the corners of his lips. "A folly then." he waves his hand, dismissing the past few minutes from his concern. "But what have we gained from this exchange?" He beamed at the men in the room, looking between Hasglow and Tansen and Deston. "This may have been one of the most polite exchanges between the two most iconic figures of our time, the bloody Ritter Hex, and the demonic magi. We could work together. There is no reason we shouldn't. Ages have past since long buried men started this conflict. This man here," he pointed at the King, "has treated with your father, Prince Tansen, in the past, to finally bury the issues of dead men, but still we war. It's evident that we can share this continent, we've been doing it so far, and if we weren't killing each other all the time, we could be a much more advanced people."

"So, my Lords of Loidite, when you nobles resume your squabbling over the conditions of the peace, well, don't let something as trivial as some upset merchants alter your course. This can be YOUR legacy," he roared. "You and Gavin, the two Princes who continued to throw men at each other, or the two Princes who brought a golden age of peace and plenty."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom