Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Laird of the Land (buttefly0408/kolath)

"You locked him out of the room?" Myrna said with a hearty laugh and a broad, bright smile on her lips. "That's my girl. I knew I raised you right. And he deserved it to boot from all you told me." Myrna left the side of the tub where Blair still was soaking to to and fetch her a clean dress to wear, working to lay it out on the bed. "But the man also sounds like a charming devil of a fellow. He can protect you and provide a good life for you. One I think will be happy for you as well."

"I will admit, it has not been unpleasant yet," Blair confessed as she dumped water over her hair to rinse out the suds as her bath was nearing it's end.

"Is he good in bed?" Myrna said so suddenly and casual that is shocked Blair like nothing ever had before. "Oh don't look so stunned. You're a woman now and women sometimes talk about things like this. I want to treat you in a way I never could before because of your father always watching me. You are strong and independent. You always have been. Like your mother was. I'm happy to see that you've found someone that lets you be the you that was locked up for so long. Oh come now dear you will start to wrinkle up soon. Come and get out of that tub and dry yourself off." Myrna came to the side of the tub, holding up a large towel for Blair to wrap herself up in, which she promptly did as she climbed out and crossed the room.

Kael pushed Allister off down one corridor that took Allister the way he was needing to go to finish preparations. His cousins laughter continued even as he walked away.

"It sounds like you deserved it to you cad."
Allister was lucky that Kael didn't have his dirk with him or it would have been chasing his cousin down the hall. Granted it wouldn't hit but it still would have made Kael feel better just to throw it after him. Making a mental note to not share anything about Blair with Allister again Kael continued down the hall to what had once been Blair's room.

Finally reaching it he waited a moment before knocking on the door having just guessed this would have been the place that she would have gone. If not here he would have to look through the whole castle in hopes of finding her. He waited for a response hoping his guess had been right.

"One moment..." came Blair's voice from within.

It was more then a moment later thought before the door was opened by Myrna. The woman looked Kael up and down a moment, clearly looking him over and making an opinion of him. "Hmm," was all the woman said before moving aside to allow Kael fully entry into the room.

Blair stood still at the foot of the bed, fidgeting a bit with her dress she was now wearing, her hair still wet and looking like it still needed to have a brush taken to it. "There you are," she said to him, "I didn't know where you had gone off to. One moment you were there then I turned around and you were gone again."

He watched Myrna as she looked him over raising an eyebrow slightly at her appraising look. He had to admit that it reminded him a lot of Blair, if in nothing more the mere fact that she wasn't hiding that she was doing it. After she let him enter the room he inclined his head slightly in a sign of respect for her years and clear wisdom. His eyes turned to Blair's form sitting on the bed and just stood there for a moment enjoying the view of her fresh out of the bath.

He sighed softly as she said that she hadn’t known where he had gone and came over sitting beside her. "I had seen you with," he looked pointedly at Myrna making it clear who he meant, "And thought it best to not interrupt since she seemed to be dear to you. I went with my cousin to speak a little about the town and things that have been happening here." He noticed that her hair hadn't been brushed out yet and cast about looking for one finally seeing one on the vanity and rising to get it.

"Myrna," Blair said so that Kael would have a name to call her dearest friend by rather then just point her out and that be the only way he knew to refer to her as. "Her name is Myrna, and she is very dear to me." There was a light, warm smile upon her lips as she looked to Myrna.

The older woman in turn moved to capture the brush from the table long before Kael could possibly reach it, moving to her lady's side and starting to brush it out. Blair did not seem to realize at all that Kael had meant to do himself, "Myrna here is the one that raised Flynn and I from the time our mother passed away. She is really the only mother I think that Flynn can remember."

Kael watched the brush disappear and his eyes narrowed for a moment before just accepting Myrna's help, no matter what he had wanted to do. He smiled slightly nodding at Blair's comment about being raised by the lady and smirked a little. It explained a lot about the same attitudes that he saw in all three of them, though he wondered about Blair's father's role in her stubborn nature.

For a moment Kael felt a twinge of jealousy as Myrna started to brush Blair's hair before he brushed it aside knowing it was just a deep bond that the two women shared like a mother and daughter. He realized how absurd it was to be feeling that way but for the first time he realized that she had become more a part of his life then he ever thought. He smiled sighing as he watched his wife with her dearest friend, "Well ladies I have to go get ready for tonight as well, if you will excuse me." He came over brushing his hand over Blair's check, there was something in his heart as he looked at her smiling, I'm glad to see you happy Blair, I will see you tonight." He kissed her lips lightly before heading out and to the room that Allister had prepared for him.

She felt herself lean into his lips a moment, so very into the touch of his lips against hers she seemed to forget about how he spoke of getting ready for the night. It was not until after he had left the room, Myrna broke her from out of her light daze with a light laugh, "You have fallen hard for your husband lass."

"What?!" Blair shook her head a bit as she was sort of shocked out her trance state. "Fallen for him? Don't be silly Myrna. This is a marriage for convenience only. He married me because of an obligation to my honor," she blushed a little bit from confessing there was such a reason to protect her honor. "Nothing more."

Myrna just laughed as she kept on brushing though her wild locks before starting to braid the locks for her, "A marriage can start anyway but it can grow and change anyway as well."

Kael came down into the entry area where both he and Blair would meet before heading into the great hall. He had washed and changed into a tunic that was the finest that he had worn in sometime, he normally didn't bother with looking his best but recently he was finding himself thinking more and more about how he looked, when Blair was there. Tonight with the dark crimson tunic with its detailed embroidery, the fine cape that offset the dark tunic, all combined with his clean fresh appearance cut a very dashing figure.

His hand rested on the hilt of his sword as he waited for his wife. It wasn't long before Allister came out to him looking for them both.

"Where is Blair? We are all waiting and ready."

Kael shrugged, "She comes when she is ready and I think her and Myrna still have a lot to catch up on."

The sound of footsteps upon the stairs rang in the air and let them know of the approach of another. Around the corner came Blair, looking as if she was almost glowing. Wearing her own clothing once again, clothing that was cut right for her body and made of the finest of fabrics. It was really quite formal looking dress and could give him a hint of how her father had her clothing made up to look like a highland doll. But the formality of the dress was sort of toned down by how Myrna had done up Blair's hair. It was in a causal braid that ran down her back. A lovely circlet crowning her head that made her look like a princess more then a doll.

She came to his side and gave him a smile, bobbing a light curtsy to him and his cousin. "I am sorry I was delayed..."

Kael and Allister both turned to the sound of Blair's step on the stairs. Both of them just stood there and stared at the vision that was now coming down toward them. She had seemed to change in just those few moments. No longer was she the daughter of a defeated laird forced to marry the man that had taken her land, not that there had been those that saw her that way, but now there was no mistaking her for that. Now her simple yet elegant look screamed that of a lady of the land and proud to be that.

Allister recovered first ribbing Kael in the side to get him to close his mouth.

Kael smiled and without thinking of anything but her in that moment drew his wife to him kissing her softly for a long moment. He slowly released her from the kiss smiling, "You look lovely Blair," it seemed there was more he wanted to say but stopped himself turning to the door and offering her his arm, "Shall we?"

Blair had to wonder as she reached the bottom of the steps and stood before the two men why they were looking at her so strangely. There was even a long moment where no words were spoken and she felt just a tad bit uncomfortable for they were both still staring at her. Was it her hair? She knew she should have asked Myrna to do it into a more formal up do then the simple braid. Laird's wives had their hair up. Had veils over it. Not down or braided like she had it now. The look likely did not fit with the formal gown she had picked out either.

She was just about to turn around and go back up the steps to change her hair when Kael was upon her, surprising her with a kiss, her eyes going large in shock. The look was still upon her face even as the kiss ended and he pulled back from her. "We... shall...." she said in a sort of dazed voice, reaching up to take his arm, letting him lead her.

Allister had stepped ahead of the couple to the large doors into the great hall pushing them hard making them swing open. The sounds of a feast about to start rolled out of the great hall to meet all three of them. As Allister stepped into the hall everything quickly began to silence, "My good people, may I present Laird and Lady Sutherland."

There was a long moment of silence as Kael led Blair into the hall, the large hall making it seem to last longer than it really was. Within the space of two very long heart beats the people in the hall cheered, the deafening silence being turned almost instantly into a deafening roar. There might have been a lot that Blair didn't know about that was going on in her home land, things that she would find out about later but right now all that was needed was her people welcoming her back, not as the little girl she had been but as their Lady of the land.

Blair's grip upon her husband's arm, the silence first greeting them feel like it was thick and ready to sting like the bite of a bee. The length of it was so alarmingly long to her, even though it was only a few moments in time really. The sudden surge of cheers had her clinging even more-so to Kael's arm in sudden shock. The cheer and joy among them seemed to be genuine but it could not be for her. It had to be for Kael. He was the one after all that had saved them from her terrible father after all. She smiled a little for her husband's warm response but at the same time felt a little ill in her stomach over how bad things must really have been that their joy for a new leader was this great.

Kael watched her as she pulled back a little thinking she shouldn't be in the center of attention. He smiled holding her close as the people cheered, or at least most of them did anyway. He gently drew her to the head table pulling the chair out for her before sitting himself. The banquet proceeded stories and jest passed all round along with hopes dreams and even a fear or two. On toward the middle of the night a group of musicians came into the hall and proceeded to strike up a lively tune which soon had many out on the dance floor. Kael smiled and soon stood offering Blair his hand, "Shall we?"

At first, Blair felt a little uncomfortable sitting at the head table. The head of attention beside Kael. There was no escaping their gazes when you were right in the sight line of everyone in the room. But as the time went by, the people around her helped her to relax her tensions. The joking and the story telling really helped to distract her from her troubles inside herself. At first it was just a smile on her face, then there was a light laugh on her lips. By the time the music started up, her worries seemed far away. Everyone seemed to be welcoming her right alongside Kael. It made her feel good that her husband had been able to undo the damange her father had done and that she got to be by his side to fix the mistakes of the past.

As he offered his hand to dance, she started to shake her head in denial, "I have never danced in front of others before Kael..."

Kael smiled slightly as she looked so worried about dancing with him. He bent down lightly kissing her hair as he took her hand softly. "Don't worry I will make sure my form doesn't embarrass you." He knew full well that wasn't what she had meant about her not having danced in public before. He smiled his most endearing smile, gently lifting her out of the chair leading her out onto the dance floor. His arm around her waist was strong and he led her around the dance floor expertly at one point leaning in close to her ear, "Relax Blair, you are doing fine."

Blair was stiff on the dance floor at first but at the music picked up and as more people came to join them on the dance floor, the energy started to effect her. She started to smile and laugh as they bounced and moved all around the floor, weaving in and out between other couples that were just as joyous if not more so even. She could not help but feed off their joy and feel it herself. Soon she was really into the dance with him as the moved wildly like all the others. It seemed everyone was having a grand time and were almost disappointed when at last the music and the dance came to an end. The all stopped where they were on the dance floor and applauded the players.

Kael was so glad to see her smiling and laughing with the others as the dances got more involved she was soon just enjoying herself. The dances finally came to an end and they clapped with the others on the floor before he slipped a hand around her waist drawing her over back toward their table. His strong arm around her waist until they came to the table where he let her go in front of him not seeing the woman coming around a pillar toward them.

The woman was slightly past middle age having lived all her life in the town under Blair's father. Without hesitating she walked right up to Blair and back handed her hard across the face. "How dare you, you Ross whore. How dare you think that you can come back here after everything and we would accept you just because you have fooled the noble Larid Sutherland. We know you here don't think that you can fool us.

The blow came out of no where but it knocked the smile right off of Blair's face as she reached up to press her hand against the area that now burned. It was a fine, hard slap that made her eyes water right away. She looked up in shock as so why this blow had come. And then she say the woman, the rage in her eyes.

A silence fell over the rest of the hall as all attention went to the scene being caused. The woman did not stop there. She had only just began as she pointed an accusing finger at Blair, "You should have met the same fate as your wicked brother and vile father! You sat like some stuck of princess and watched us all suffer for years and did nothing. Now you ride back in her expecting us to welcome you! HA! You can burn for all we care you Ross bitch!"

Blair's happiness was gone all at once as she looked from the face of the enraged woman to other faces around her. They were judging her. Did they all think the same thing of her? How could she let herself believe that they would want her here. Coming back was a mistake. No one here wanted her and they were far better off without her. Her eyes continued to water yet it was from the slap anymore. She was about to burst into tears but could not get her feet to move until she saw Myrna in the room. Did Myrna think that of her as well? that was to much for her to handle and she turned, running as fast as she could from the room, not looking back even as she heard the woman scream out, "Run! That's run right straight to hell Ross whore!"

Kael was just as shocked as Blair when the attack happened. Everything was over before he could say or do anything to stop it. He stood there for a moment as Blair ran off in tears even though she was trying to hide it. He reached out grabbing the screaming woman's hand his eyes narrowing at her in barely controlled rage. Just as he was about to return the favor this woman had given Blair a horrible thought hit him and he turned to look over the others there.

In that moment his mood changed he saw the same judging looks that Blair had seen but clearly saw their target. He let the woman go saying only, "I leave you to the people that you say you speak for." He turned after Blair rushing through the halls hot on her trail having only lost a moment in the dining hall he soon would catch up to her.

Blair didn't know he was following after her, nor did she care. She had to get as far away as she could as fast as she could. She had never been so humiliated nor so hurt in her entire life. Racing up the steps, her got twisted in her skirts and fell forward, hitting her knees off the steps but recovering enough to push herself up and continue her mad dash up them and down the halls to her room where she quickly shut the door behind her and struggled over the lock.

Kael was just behind her as the door slammed shut almost in his face. He pressed up against it grabbing the latch and holding it as he pressed against the door making it so the lock would have to be forced into place against his strength. "Blair," He felt the door slip a little and pressed harder again, "Blair its me let me in please." He held it there not forcing his way in as he knew he could wanting her to want him in not just lock him out as she had before.

She pushed and pressed on the lock with all her might, her vision blurred by the tears not rolling down her face. "Go away Kael!" she yelled through the door as she kept on wildly try to lock the door and lock him out. It was all she knew how to do. Lock things and people out and suffer alone. Why would the door not lock? She just kept forcing it pushing at it, getting frustrated with the lock until her hands actually started to hurt.

He held the door straining both not to let it close far enough to lock and not to force it too hard so that she was the one that let him in. "Blair I won't go away no matter how much you beg. Please let me in and let me help." He held the door there for another moment his own shoulder and hand starting to hurt as he didn't let her close it. He finally sighed still holding the door, "Fine if you want to lock me out you can, but you let me in once before remember? Was it really so bad that you won't let me in now?" He let up on the door letting it close enough so that it would lock and shut him out entirely if she wanted.

No sooner did he allow the door to close, the sound of the lock clicking into place. No words from Blair on the other side, no sound at all as she had quickly retreated from the door across the room to throw herself onto the bed. She did not let him in.

Back
Top Bottom