Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Librarian (Guitarman and Kiandra_Black)

"Hey, it's probably better then whatever the hell I was going to end up doing for dinner. If you're gonna keep making and bringing meals I'm definitely going to keep you around here often," he watched the dog walk off, then watched as Cassie got to work plugging in the slowcooker and preparing their meal. "No work cooking is the best kind of cooking. I end up burning myself and the food more then making a passable meal," he chuckled.

He didn't really need Cassie's help to get everything moved but it saved a lot of time. Once the spots were switched he sat for a second, testing out the view. "And now the glare from the TV won't bounce off the TV and make everything look all wonky when it's bright. Opens up the floor just a little bit too," he nodded, content with his work. "Just need to make this place feel like home still, you know?"

He leaned to the side, cracking his neck as he turned back towards her. "Not too shabby though. Think I'm doing alright with the place."

"You mean the glare from the window right?" Cassie said, teasing him as she sat down on the couch as well, checking it out. He was right though, it did open up the space, a lot actually. Anubis came bounding over for some pets, and she smirked as she got up, and went over to her bag, which she had left on one of the chairs at the table, and pulled out his bowls, filling one with water, and setting it down in a corner, out of the way. Anubis went and drank, before he flopped down on the floor. She shook her head, and then turned back to look at Jake, "All right, now what? Did you finish unpacking everything? I remember when I moved into my house, I had boxes still to unpack after 5 weeks..." She approached him, and leaned against the wall, placing the opposite hand on her hip as she watched him.

"You know what I mean," he chuckled, leaning over to give her a playful tap on the shoulder. He watched at first, then slowly stood up as she gave Anubis his water. "There's nothing else to unpack. I travelled really light and really only came here with my clothes, my bed, and my phone. Everything else was bought down here. It was a lot easier and cheaper to move down that way, and it's why the place looks so generic. I mainly bought the cheapest stuff I could," he explained. "I definitely want to get some stuff with some personality though, decorate the place a bit."

He peeled himself off the wall, leaning over to give Anubis some pats. "Someone's right at home though, so I can't complain."

"Oh yeah. As long as he has food and water, he's great wherever." Cassie said, as she stood up straight and then asked, "You still want to set up those chairs outside? I do remember you saying something about that earlier, before I left." She looked back at the large window that face the trees, and grinned, looking out into the woods. The sun was shining beautifully outside, and although it wasn't as warm as she wanted it she did enjoy basking in the sunshine whenever she could. Plus Anubis could stretch his legs.

As they walked out, she asked, "Did you leave a lot behind when you moved here? I know sometimes starting over is hard, especially if you leave family or good friends behind. I thankfully have never had to do that, I was born and raised here, which don't listen to any of the stories Alex tells you, she was the wild one in high school, not me." She giggled at that, and then nudged him with her elbow as he spoke.

"Did you leave a hazard, or was that something new you decided to try when you got here?" she asked, the smirk on her face teasing him as she reminded him of what he had done that first day in the library.

"I would love that, even just to get out in the sun," Jake said as he slipped into his old, beat up black Nikes. "Not like it'll be hard anyway, they're just little plastic chairs. I'll get a new set eventually." Jake's yard was large, massive compared to the house. A small set of stairs led down to a tiny, concrete slab where the table stood. An old, white shed stood in the back corner of his property. He unlocked it with a key, only the chair and a lawnmower inside.

Jake carried out two chairs at once and placed them down at two sides of the square table. He crossed his arms over his chest, gazing at the table as she spoke. "Some friends, not much family. Wasn't super close to them, I was always kind of alienated by them. They definitely wouldn't like me dating the girl with tattoos," he noted with a smirk.

"I was less of a hazard up there too. Had to come out somewhere I guess," he smirked back. "Didn't think the guy tripping over books would be your new boyfriend?"

"No. thought I would just kick him out of my library, but he turned out to have the cutest ass I had ever seen..." she said teasing before bending down to grab the rope that Anubis had snagged from her bag before coming out. It was a large tug-of-war rope, as thick as her arm, and she chucked it for the dog, an impressive length as the dog raced after it. He brought it back, tail wagging and then fought with her for a moment, before she said, "Your family wasn't close to you?"

She wasn't used to a family being close together, but then again, she was raised by her family, her father and mother taking care of together, until her mothed passed from cancer, and then the gang had surrounded her. For as bad and dangerous they were, her father had worked hard to change their image from when he had inherited it from his father, and he had pretty much gotten rid of most if not all their illegal activities.

"Oh yeah, my ass is what pulled you in. You're the ass in this pairing," he laughed, watching Anubis run around in the yard. "Not even vaguely close. My parents were around but so absorbed in themselves that they didn't care. And when they did care, all I got were complaints, telling me I was doing everything wrong. Wrong friends, wrong ideas, wrong career path, hypocrisy. So I just left when I could. Don't really think about them that often."

He shrugged and tilted his head to the side. "Sure, I miss some friends but this is a reset, a whole new lease on life. My own house, a super cute girl, a pretty awesome dog to chill out with. What's not to love? I have it pretty good now. Things are moving up." he nodded, almost like he was reassuring himself. "I'm excited to see what comes."

Cassie looked over at him at the last statement, and then smiled softly, nodding. She agreed with him, she was excited to see what would come of this, because so far, the future looked bright.
"Me too. I'm glad you moved here Jake." She said softly, as she turned and picked up the rope to throw it again. They watched the dog race after it, and this time, Anubis brought it back to Jake, leaning down and getting ready to tug the rope from his grasp when he grabbed it. Cassie laughed, and said, "When you're ready to throw it, just tell him to drop it."

Anubis tugged on the rope, playing with Jake and Cassie sat watching them. The afternoon passed pretty quietly, the pair talking about their lives, and past. As the sun started to head down towards the horizon, they got on the subject of old ex's and flings, and she was telling him about Rattles, "So I walk in, after two years of us being together, and this idiot has a club whore in OUR bed. He better be glad I didn't shoot him and her then and there. My dad still thinks we are just on a break... I haven't told him why we really broke up.... Rattles would disappear if I did, and if I'm going to have his blood on my hands, I'm going to do it myself... Although, now that I've got you, maybe he'll realize that Rattles wasn't the man for me..."

Jake mainly listened as Cassie vented about her past with Rattles, easily understanding why she needed to. She was clearly hurt by it, and what he did was disgusting. Oddly though, the talk of her ending the man personally didn't bother him much. One, he totally believed that she could and would. But she was his girl... He had to stick by her side, just as he was sure she would his. If that involved some shadier, not exactly legal business, so be it.

"I hope so, but how much do you think your dad will really take to me? I mean... I know I'm not some shithead but I'm also not tatted up, biker guy. I don't think I really meet that image of what he expects for you, and I'm not gonna pretend to be someone else to please him," Jake spoke, tugging Anubis' rope a bit as another question kept eating away at him. "And really, Rattles? The fuck came up with that name? The rest of you have cool names, like you're Cobra. And he gets... Wait for it... Rattles." Jake tilted his head at her. "I'm sure scared that the scary biker Rattles is coming for me!" he raised his hands in mock fear, making big, googly eyes. "Rattles."

Cassie looked over at him and smiled, "Actually, as long as I'm happy, and the guy treats me like a queen, my dad will accept him. The fact that you weren't intimidated by him last night when you met him, makes him respect you more. He's been trying to lead us down a better path too, which is why we were meeting with the police chief last night. That was the reason I thought I wouldn't be able to make it to the bar... I'm glad I did though, I would have missed this."

She grew thoughtful for a moment, watching Anubis as he sniffed around a bush, and then said, "Rattles, is short for rattlesnake. Just easier to say I guess... " She smirked at his googly eye impression, and then threw the rope Anubis had brought her straight at Jake playfully.
"The Serpents have always had snake nicknames, which I'm glad I get mine from my dad. Otherwise who knows what I would have been known as..."

She shivered in the cooling breeze, then asked him, "I'm surprised you didn't say anything about my threatening Rattles... are you okay with that side of me too? I know its s lot to take in. Most men can't stand being with a woman who could easily protect herself." The contempt in her tone proved there was more to it than she was saying, a prior relationship or friendship in this case, that still hurt.

"Last night was definitely a welcome turn of events. I had no idea that I'd end up coming back here with you but hey, I'll take it," he chuckled. "As long as he respects me I don't really care. I don't need him to love me, I don't even need him to like me. As long as we're cool and understands that we both just want the best for you... I think we'll get along swimmingly." Having not noticed her tossing the rope, it clunked right into his chest and dropped to the ground, only for the dog to pick it back up.

Jake shrugged when she asked about what he thought about her threatening Rattles. "You gotta do what you gotta do. I don't expect you to like... Stay in the home and clean all day just because you're a woman. You've got your own life to live, experiences. If one of those experiences and skillsets involves protecting yourself, it's all cool with me. As long as you're not using those skills against me," he teased.

"I am very glad to hear that, babe." She said teasing him. She looked up at the sky, and then said, "I'm going in real quick to check to pot roast."

She winked at him, and left him alone in the backyard, Anubis coming over with his rope to continue playing. Inside the house, Cassie checked the slow cooker, using a large fork to tear the meat into strips, also making sure that the potatoes were cooked through, before sticking her head out the back door.
"Dinner is ready." She said, a smile on her face as she though about how domestic that sounded. Anubis looked up and barked, as she motioned inside with her head. She smiled as Jake walked up to her, and then as he drew level with her, she placed a hand on his shoulder, and quietly said, "Why does this feel so comfortable? Like we've done this a hundred times? I've only known you for a week... and yet..." She shook her head as she thought about it, knowing it should have been absurd, but it felt so natural and safe.

"Sounds good." Jake was content to wait for her, the time flying by as he payed attention to and played with the dog. He was glad to hear that dinner was done though, quite hungry after having moved his furniture around earlier.

Making sure that Anubis was following, he wrapped his arm around Cassie's side as they walked in together. "Feels too easy almost, doesn't it?" he smiled. "Glad I have that effect on you," he teased, making sure the door was locked when they got inside. "It's so natural being with you. Like... I don't have to figure out your quirks, how to talk with you. I can just do my thing and you've seamlessly slid in," he said as he grabbed some plates, then began pulling out the forks and knives. "I can't get over how much I'm into you already. Is that like... Weird or stupid to say already?"

"No. Because it's exactly how I feel." Cassie said, smiling at him as she used a knife to cut the bread into thick slices. She placed two slices in each plate, then covered them in the pot roast. She grabbed the plates and carried them to the table. She went over to her bag, and grabbed a a small bag filled with dog food for Anubis, leaning down and placing his bowl down for him.

She stood up and turned, smiling at Jake as she walked back to the table.
"So this means that we are a pair?" She asked, teasing him as she sat down and dug into her food. As always, it was delicious, and she bit back a small moan at the taste. "You know, growing up, I actually was a horrible cook." She giggled for a moment, before saying, "I started going to a class at the library, after my mom passed away. I felt like I needed to take care of my dad, even though the gang watched over us." She took another bite, then continued, "But once I started the class, I started having fun. Checked out recipe books and tried something new every night. Sometimes the food was good, other times it wasn't. Eventually, the bad food stopped happening." She chuckled again, and took another bite, smiling.

"Thought we already agreed on that! If it was up to me, I'd love it if you were stuck to me," the man teased as he began to eat, listening to her story all along. He stayed silent until it ended, deciding to not ask any questions about that 'mom passing away' part quite yet. "I'm still a horrible cook, I mostly make frozen stuff or order in from somewhere. The only time I tried to make a really nice meal for myself I ended up burning the hell out of the back of my right hand. Taught me to not cook, also taught me to not pour ground meat into the pan after you turned on the burner," he chuckled. "Oiled up the bottom of the pan and it shot back at me."

Jake ate pretty quickly, quite hungry after everything he'd done over the course of the day. "What's the plan of action for tonight? I got nothing to do, and it looks like it'll be the three of us for a while," he said, motioning towards Anubis.

Cassandra was in the middle of a bite, so she smiled at him, and chewed her food thoughtfully. She didn't have any plans, and had no where to be today or tomorrow. After she finished her bite, she answered, "Nope. No dire plans this weekend. I was hoping to get some one on one time with this guy I know..." She teased him and then finished her meal, before getting up and heading to the sink, turning on the warm water, and washing her plate. She turned to him as he brought her his plate, and pressed a kiss to his lips, before flicking water at him playfully.

"You don't mind if we stick around right?" She asked, looking up at him through the fringe of her eyelashes, a smile on her lips as she flicked more water at him. "I can understand if you want time alone too..."

"It's the damn dog, isn't it?" he teased, feigning ignorance as he leaned into the kiss. "I swear, one day you're gonna finally like me more then him. I don't know what I have to do but it'll happen, I promise," he teased, recoiling a bit as she flicked the water at him. "I don't mind one bit. I'd be doing absolutely nothing if you guys weren't here, just have a boring night of watching bullshit TV and jerking off," he smirked, leaning in for a kiss of his own. "I don't want to be alone tonight, really."

Jake spun back around, helping her by cleaning out her slow cooker. He'd be a massive dick if he couldn't even help her clean, or so he thought. "Happy to just see where the night goes, actually have company."

"Actually, a new guy in my life... For some odd reason I feel super comfortable and safe with him... Think I'm crazy?" She grinned and finished washing the dishes, drying them with one of his towels, and then putting them away into the cupboards. She turned and watched him clean her slow cooker. It was oddly sweet and endearing watching hi do something so domestic, and she sighed, tilting her head a soft smile on her lips, which turned into a wider grin as he turned to look at her. She shook her head, deciding to keep her secrets to herself for the moment, and helped him finish up.

Eventually, the kitchen was clean, and Cassie headed to the living room. As she sat on the couch, she said, "You know, this really does open up the room, gives you more space to move around." Anubis joined her at her feet, tail wagging as he lay down completely, and soon began to softly snore.

"Definitely crazy. Remind me to stay far, far away from you if I ever start getting too close," Jake couldn't pass up yet another little joke. He cleaned up rather fast, solely devoted to the task until it was finished, and left the slow cooker out on the side of the counter to dry, a small towel beneath it. When the kitchen was finished up he turned around and followed her back into the living room, nodding after he sat next to her. "I like it a lot more this way actually. I didn't care too much about the space, I just wanted the glare to go away when I was trying to watch soccer," he admitted.

He kept the TV off though and gladly sat in silence for a moment, only hearing the dog snoring beneath her feet. "Ready to head back to work tomorrow? Know I'm not too excited about it. Meetings all day. Again," he rolled his eyes, thinking there would've been a bit more action in his new career.

Cassie tilted her head at him, and then grinned, "You work on Sunday? Cause, it's still Saturday night, although we have done a lot of work..." She teased him, and then said, "I don't work until Monday morning at 8. Although I do have a meeting tomorrow afternoon with the club and my dad." She got more comfortable on the couch, pulling one of her legs up and to the side, so she was facing him, her arm now pressed between her and the back of the couch, while she rested her back against the arm rest. She rested her other arms on her knee while tucking her ankle under it, and then said, "How are you liking the new job? I know the meetings can be boring, especially when you expect to be out in nature and actually doing the job."

She listened as he spoke, and then nodded, "Well, my offer stands, if you ever want a companion out there, Anubis would love that. If I'm off, I can always meet you out there, unless you aren't allowed to have civilians out with you..." She grinned as she said that, her lips curling up and her eyes crinkling in happiness. Her eyes twinkled in the low lights, and she rested back deeper against the corner of the couch.

"I do have to work tomorrow, unfortunately," Jake confirmed. "They give me Saturday and Monday off. Bit of a weird weekend but I'll take it," Jake told her as he watched her move and get more comfortable on the couch. "It's not too bad. Unfortunately haven't had too much time to actually be outside yet. A lot of meetings and briefings to catch me up on the situation and history of the town. It's definitely boring as all hell but probably needed. Just hope it doesn't take too long to get that finished up and actually get to trying to solve problems, instead of being some boring pencil pusher," he nodded.

The rest of the day, and the rest of the week passed quickly and without much complication. Work got better and he got to spend more time with Cassie, both at home and out in the wild. The next Monday was one of those days, with him taking advantage of his day off to surprise her at work. He carried the books he borrowed when he met her up to the desk and met her with a smirk, in a pair of cargo shorts and a blue t-shirt, one of the very few times he wore actual color instead of black. "I believe these are due, Ms. sexy librarian?"

Cassie looked up at him as he spoke, and smiled, although tense lines around her eyes and mouth betrayed her. She stood a little stiffer than usual, and as she spoke, he could hear the slight congestion that was starting, "Hey Jake... and yes. Those are due. I'm glad I didn't have to come hunt you down for those..." She sniffles a bit and then sighs. Her hand comes up to rest on her neck, slightly massaging her shoulders at the stiffness there. She had felt fine that morning, but was starting to feel sick, and was just waiting for her replacement to go home and rest.

"You came just in time babe... I'm about to head home." She sniffles again, and then finishes checking him out as her replacement walks in. Cassie waves at her, before logging off and coming around the desk. Her light green sage shirt is paired with a dark forest green pencil skirt that hugs her curves, black lace up ankle stilletos, and a black half corset that pushes her breasts up and together.
"Wait for me?"
At his response, she smiles and goes to the back office to grab her purse and coat, slipping the black pea coat around her shoulders. She shivers slightly, and then sneezes as she steps back out towards him. Once she reaches him, she sighs tiredly, and says, "I would kiss you, but I don't want to get you sick with whatever this is."
As it is, she offers him her forehead to kiss, and he can feel just how hot she's currently burning.

"Of course." Jake stood by her desk, waiting rather patiently as his mind twisted and turned. His headstrong, vivacious Cassie was sick all of a sudden? The thought hadn't even crossed his mind that she could fall under the weather. She just seemed too active, strong for that. It was oddly cute seeing her a little more vulnerable like this, and he instantly knew that he had to take care of her. Exactly what she'd do for him too, he knew.

He leaned in and pressed his lips to her forehead, feeling the slight warmth before pulling back. "Hey, kid," he smiled, wrapping his arm around her shoulders. "Let's get you home. Let me take care of Anubis and dinner for you tonight, you need to just put your feet up and rest."

He walked outside with her, figuring their paths would diverge when she got to her own car, content to simply follow her back to her place. "If it helps at all, you look cute as fuck today," he complimented, releasing her shoulders. "Seriously though, tonight's all about you. Relax, let me take care of everything. Think you can manage that?"

Cassie sighed and rested into his chest for a moment, enjoying his warmth, before they headed out the doors and to the parking lot.
"Aw, thank you... Had I know how... I would feel today after... I got to work... I would have... stayed home naked..." she said, slightly teasing him, showing him she was still her fiery little self.

As he hugged her close, then let her go, she took a breath and nodded, agreeing to his plan. She was exhausted and having him there to help her with Anubis was definitely a load off her own shoulders. She got into her car, and started driving home, sneezing into a tissue. She turned on her heater, full blast as she shivered from the chills. Driving up into her garage, she parked on the left side, and leaving plenty of room in there for him to park if he so chose to.

She stepped out of her car and took a breath, closing her eyes as a dizzy spell hit her hard. She kept her hand on the door of the car to take a moment, before heading over to the door and opening it.

Anubis rushed out past her and caused her to loose her balance as the dog headed to the front lawn to use the bathroom.

"I know you would've," Jake teased as he walked into his car, shutting the door a bit harder then intended. He took the quickest way he knew back to her place and was surprised to find that he actually beat her there, patiently waiting in the driveway for her to arrive. He watched as she slowly made her way out of the car, tilting his head a bit as he noticed her resting against the door, having never seen her weak like this. Still. he said nothing as she made her way to the door. "I'll watch him," he told her as Anubis rushed out, watching her make her way inside as the dog finished up out front.

Anubis ran back in the door before Jake, who locked up the front before proceeding his way upstairs. She didn't even have to tell him, he just knew in her state that she'd want to head right to bed. Doing his best to stay quiet, he made his way up the staircase and walked into her room, sitting softly on the side of her bed.

"Getting worse?" he asked, resting his hand against her forehead for a moment. "You feel a little bit warmer, even. Need me to do anything?"

Back
Top Bottom