Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Parlay's Reward [Nurse_K & Kaziel]

"I had to know, Maggie..." he said to her quietly. "You didn't come to the square today. I had to know the truth." She could see his serious face in the dim light from the windows. "After I waited, when I was getting supper a braggart of a man had come in talking of seeing you all day. He spoke of how your father scheduled him for today instead of a week hence like was previously planned. I could only believe that you didn't come because your father blocked you. Please tell me I am not mistaken." His eyes implored her to answer.

She stared at him for a moment, but soon dropped her eyes. His words shamed her. He'd waited for her...for hours. And she never came. She'd been stuck with that braggart. She sighed softly and nodded, "It's true, Alex...My father wants me to marry him. Next month," she clenched her teeth, one had brushing stray hair out of her face. "You know we can never be together, Alex...we're...we're not in the same class," it hurt her soul to say the words, but it was the truth.

It took a supreme effort of will for him to not laugh out loud. He let his eyes go wide then looked down at the ground, covering his face and sighing, though beneath his face he was grinning. In a months time she would be his, legally and lawfully. She might hate him for the lies he had told her and what he would do to her, but she would be his.

Covering his face with a mask of sorrow, he looked back up at her. He knew his look was flawless, years of being subterfugue had trained him well. "I... I understand, Maggie... I will not ask much of you, but before I go, could I have but a single kiss to remember you by?" This kiss was not one to remember her by, but the one thing he could get that he was sure would be untainted by the emotion his coming betrayal would bring.

Maggie's heart nearly broke in two when he uncovered his face and she saw his sorrow. She immidiately regretted her own words, class meant nothing to her. She would have been with him even if he was a begger on the street. She was speechless, she knew if she spoke she would begin to cry. She nodded slowly and scooted forward, reaching one hand out behind his head and pulled him towards her. She lifted her face and pressed her lips against his gently, her body lighting on fire from the taste of his lips against hers. She gasped as she kissed him, pressing her lips against his a little harder. Then she released his head and moved away from him, looking down at the floor again.

He sighed as they kissed, his rough fingers reaching up and brushing at her soft cheek. The moment dragged on and on for him, her sweet lips tasting like the most precious thing he'd ever touched, but then all too quickly the moment was over and she pulled back.

Dropping down to one knee, he bowed his head. "You honor me, milady." He looked up, real sadness on his face now. He wasn't sure if he'd ever feel a kiss like that again... and it made his heart ache for despite any lie he had said, he really did care for her.

"Now I must go. I've already run too much of a risk of discovery, and the last thing you need is to be caught with some lower class man in your room in the dead of the night." He gave her a charming smile. "I will never forget how you are, right now, Maggie." And these were the truest words he'd spoken the entire time he'd been on Nevis.

She nodded, understanding his meaning regarding his class (or at least she thought she did). She smiled weakly at him, her soft hand reaching out and touching his lips once more. "I'll miss you, Alex. Greatly," she said sadly, truly believing that she was never going to see him again, truly believing that in the next month she would be married to a most horrid of nobles and shipped off to England to bear him children. She sighed and laid back against her pillows, looking up at him, "Good bye," she whispered, holding back her tears.

As she placed her fingers on his lips, he kissed them softly, then turned and stole away from her as quietly as he could. The escape from the fortress was much easier than his entrance, ropes already in place, it was just a matter of being as quiet as he could.

Once he was on the other side of the wall, he coiled the ropes up and hurried back down to the Gilded Wake. While he didn't think the Governor knew, he also believed the same thing of the night before and that had gone almost disasterously. He was not foolish enough to try to leave that night, but he wanted to be shoved off at first light. His arrival was quiet, and he informed the Commander of the vessel of his desire, then he retired for the night.

In the morning there were no one to see him off, though he glanced up at Fort Charles. She was in there, and she probably mourned for him as though he was dead. Maybe she even watched as his ship left the port, but he smiled. He would be back within the week and then nothing... not the Governor, some vain lordling, nor even class could keep Maggie from being his. He clenched his fist in triumph, a sparkle in his eye.

Maggie cried herself to sleep after he left, indeed, like he had died. Her heart broke in two as she cried, him holding one piece and her father holding the other. She finally fell asleep and slept soundly, not waking up when Ilsa came in in the morning and opened the curtains. She slept and slept and slept, spending almost the entire morning asleep. She finally awoke at about eleven, and when she opened her eyes, she had buried Alex. He was dead. She had to move on, she had no other choice.

Even so, she didn't get out of bed. She lounged there the entire day, getting up only to relieve herself. She locked her doors so that niether Ilsa nor her father could come in. She ignored pleas from them, her tutors, her other handmaidens, everyone. She'd locked herself away and she intended to stay there until she had been able to accept the horrible fate that waited for her.

It took that full day and half the next to reach the island where he had placed his fleet. Seven ships, all told, were berthed there, with the Gilded Wake being the eighth and smallest. There was much cheering as the crews saw the return of the ship sent to check out Charlestown.

As soon as he was aboard his flagship, the Furious Wrath, he called a meeting of the Commanders of each of his ships, along with his own First Mate, Noah. He enjoyed the humor of having someone named after a man known for saving so many lives with a ship in the Bible as one of the highest ranking men on a crew of pirates which regularly killed dozens or hundreds in raids on cities.

Sitting there, he slowly went over the details of his plan. Explaining what he would do to reimburse the crewmembers of his fleet, along with what to do if things went wrong, he laid out everything. There were some shocked responses, but fifty gold crowns, along with 100 to the higher ranking members of each ship more than made up for the almost anything they'd make with an attack on Charlestown, plus there was no danger. He dismissed them all with a nod, telling them to report back to their ships, relay his plan to all members, and prepare to weigh anchor.

Looking over at Noah, Alex smiled. "So, old friend..." his voice had changed radically from the accent he had been using before. Now it far less formal and had a tinge of scottish sound to it. "...Are you sure you'll be fine with this? I'd hate to lose a good man like you if everything goes to shit."

Noah shook his head. "I don't mind, Cap'n. Considerin' how often you've saved me life, it's the least I could do." As he said this, he walked over to a shelf and pulled out a bottle of whiskey, and poured them both glasses.

"I told you already, when we're alone, call me Alex." he said as he took the glass offered by Noah, giving him a scowl. "We've known eachother for years now!"

"Yes, Cap'n." Noah gave a quick reply, with a smirk. Nodding, they both upended their glasses of whiskey into their mouths and swallowed, followed by a gasp of breath.

Alex shook his head, then gave Noah another scowl. "You're incoragible, you know that?", and the only reply he got was a nod from Noah. They continued to drink and talk for the rest of the night before each retired to their own cabin.

After her hibernation day, Maggie finally allowed herself out of her room. She allowed Ilsa to dress her, but remained silent the entire time. She ate her breakfast dutifully, her father talking at her rather than with her. She wasn't listening, didn't answer, and excused herself as soon as she was done.

She went through her lessons, English, French, piano, and arithmetic. Lord Paulingous came to luncheon, and only then did she speak. She responded to him politely but never volunteered information about herself nor did she ask him any questions. She went through her day lathargically, though she never thought of Alex.

When Alex awoke the next morning, he could already feel the Furious Wrath moving beneath him. He laid in his large ornate bed for a while longer, letting the effects of his hangover subside. It had been a good night, what he could remember of it. They had drunk late into the night, the collection of various bottles on his main table attesting to this, and had shared old stories from times when both of them were younger.

When he felt sufficiently recovered from the effects of the night's drinking, he made his way to his cabinet and dressed himself. A black button down shirt, buttons left open for the breeze to keep him cool, light pants, and no boots. While he would dress up for when he would go into cities, he rarely did while on his ship. Beyond it just being more comfortable, if for some reason he needed to jump overboard, he wouldn't have to spend time removing his heavier clothing or boots... he could just dive right in.

Making his way on deck, he found Noah at the wheel giving orders. How did that man always seem to recover from drinking so damned fast. Alex would never understand it. Giving Noah a nod, he went to stand by him. "We left the cove a few hours ago... the fleet should arrive at Nevis in a little over three days from now." Alex gave a nod. The Gilded Wake was a fast ship, but some of the larger members of his fleet, like his flagship were noticeably slower, so it would take longer for them to arrive.

The sailing from there to Nevis was smooth and, thankfully, without incident. On the morning of the third day, Alex stood at the prow of his ship, looking through his telescope, he could see the village and Fort Charles above it. By now, the watchmen of the island could already see them and would be alerting the Governor. He grinned with anticipation.

Maggie had been lounging in the library on a couch reading when she heard the commotion. She glanced up and saw guards rushing through the hallways yelling. She raised an eyebrow and stared at them, but none of them seemed to realize that she was even in the mansion. She set the book down and stood up, stretching out her curled up limbs. She'd been reading for a few hours and was a little drowsy.

She walked out into the hallway and was almost knocked over by a guard. "Miss Margaret!" he gasped and stopped short, "I'm so sorry! But miss, you must go to your father!" Maggie's chest tightened, was her father alright? Was he sick? Was he hurt?

She tore down the hallway to her father's office. The guards weren't in front of the door as they usually were, so all she had to do was rip the door open. She rushed in and saw her father sitting at his desk, bent over with his head in his hands. "Daddy! Daddy! Are you okay?" she asked, running around to him and patting his head gently. Though she was mad at him, if he was hurt, she would be there for him.

He lifted his head slowly and looked at her, "We are under siege, Maggie. By pirates." Maggies face turned hot but her heart turned cold. Pirates?

Alex's fleet, though not the largest one that had ever sailed the seas, was a formidable sight, especially with three galleons, of which the Furious Wrath was one of. Few ports had the full power to repel a full attack if he so desired, and he had little urge to try to attack the places that could. He ordered the ships brought in near the port, but at a distance when any defenses on either the docks or Fort Charles would be out of range.

Walking over to Noah, he gripped his shoulder. "You understand what to do... but above all else, try to come back in one piece." He said with a smile. "Aye aye, Cap'n" was all the reply he got, as Noah and some of his crew got aboard a dinghy, raising a white flag, and began to row toward Charlestown.

Her father had moved to stand next to the window and look out at the harbor. He watched as a white flag was raised on a dinghy that had begun to row to shore. The Governor clenched his teeth and folded his hands tightly behind his back. "Margaret," he said gravely, using her full name which he hardly ever did, "I need you to go to the library, shut the door, and stay there. I will have Ilsa bring you food. Do not come out, do you hear me Margaret? Do not."

Her father usually didn't speak like that, and when he did she knew he meant serious business. She nodded and went over to him, giving him a gentle hug. Then she ran to the library and closed the door, going back to her book, though she couldn't read a word of it. All she could think about was who the pirates could be, and what they wanted from the island.

The Governor sent a messenger down to the harbor to meet the dinghy and bring it's occupants to the mansion for discussion.

Noah was lead, with the four members of the crew up to Fort Charles. There were many more guards than they could handle, and that's the way the Governor wanted it, he figured. Maybe he thought he could intimidate them, but they had a full compliment on each ship... over 1,000 people all told. He kept arrogant smile on his face, as he reached the mansion and was led to meet the Governor in his office.

The crew from the Furious Wrath waited by the door as he and the Governor sat across from each other. "Good mornin', Guv'nah Havisher." The man sitting across from Noah was scowling at him as he attempted to be pleasant. "Well... based on tha look on yer face, I guess yer not much for niceties right now. So, shall we get down to business?"

The Governor sat at his desk with his coldest and most intimidating of faces. He'd come to terms with pirates in the past, having fended off all attacks on Nevis, though before this time, they'd all happened while Maggie was on holiday on the other side of the island. He was especially angered that that stroke of luck had ended, especially when Maggie was as she was now.

His hands were folded together tightly on the desk as he stared down the pirate across from him. "I suppose we should. What is it you desire from us, pirate?" he asked coldly, his sense of power emanating from his voice.

"I'll tell ye right now, Guv'nah, yer not gonna like it." Noah grinned. "Before I say what we want, I'll let ye know that my Cap'n intends to get it one way or another, and if ye reject his offer, he's given the crew express orders to kill every person they encounter until they get what he wants."

"As for what he wants, exactly, it's yer lovely daughter. He is willing to swear that he will not attack Charlestown now and always if you legally give him yer daughter's hand in marriage." He sat back, waiting for the reply, fully expecting an explosion of anger from the Governor.

The Governor's eyes grew wide for an instant when he heard the offer, but then he forced them back to their regular dialation. He cleared his throat and sat back in his chair, never taking his eyes off of the pirate in front of him. He pursed his lips together, the skin on his hands had turned white from him clenching them together so tightly.

"Your captain's name wouldn't happen to be Alex Baroaster, would it?" he asked coldly, already knowing that it was. He'd known that man was bad news from the second he saw him. He'd seduced his poor daughter and now he was going to try to take her and ravage her. The Governor's nostrils flared a little before he said his next statement.

"I'm afraid she's already betrothed, legally. You know that a betrothal is law, and cannot be broken. Nor do I think Margaret would consent to that."

"I'm afraid yous mistaken. I serve the Dread Pirate Bender." Noah knew that his captain went by the name Alex Baroaster sometimes, but the obvious disdain with which the Governor said that name would only make him less willing to come to a mutually beneficial agreement.

"While we may be savages to ye, Guv'nah, it don't mean we was born pirates. Most of us grew up in towns just like this, or back in England. And while we do understand about ye little laws, we don't really care for them." Noah let out a soft laugh at this. "Ya can keep yer word to... whoever it is ye engaged yer daughter to... but doing so will condemn the entire town to the blade, not to mention everyone in this fort, save yer daughter. We may not be like ye honorable types, but ye can be damned sure that our threats are not idle." He gave the governor a wicked smile.

The Dread Pirate Bender? He was infamous in the Carribean islands as one of the most vicious and unmerciful pirates there ever was. The thought of giving his beautiful, sweet, and loving daughter away to a malicious, dirty, scumbag like the Dread Pirate Bender made the Governor sick to his stomach. He paused, his gaze breaking from the pirate in front of him to his desk. He fought a fierce battle within himself, but he knew that the safety of the island was more important that his pride over his daughter.

He slowly lifted his head and sighed, his hands finally unclenching. "Fine. But I can assure you, Maggie will be no easy cargo. She's a fighter when she needs to be, and she won't be happy with this." it gave the Governor a little bit of satisfaction to think of his daughter beraging and giving her disgusting pirate husband a hard time for eternity, but that satisfaction was shot down when he thought of the pirate taking his daughter against her will.

"I'm glad we could come ta an agreement, Guv'nah." Noah grinned wickedly at the Governor. Standing up, he cocked his head. "I'd offah my hand ta seal the deal, but I don't think ye'd take it." He turned and began walking out. "Ye have until Sunday to prepare yer daughter for her wedding day. We'll keep our men in check, ye just keep yer end of the bargain and everything will be alright."

With that Noah excused himself, leaving behind the guards who hurried to keep up with the vile pirates. Making his way back to the Dinghy, he ordered the crew to take him back to the Furious Wrath. As soon as he was back onboard, he reported into Alex his success.

Alex seemed pleased, but not surprised. He fully understood the Governor, even if they were on totally opposite sides of the equation. They both had responsibilities to those under them and by threatening the townsfolk, it was almost inevitable. Some of the more hard governors might not have given in, and Alex had been prepared for that eventuality, but since the Governor hadn't just acted and arrested him on the hunch he no doubt had, it meant he was soft and softness allowed him to be in the situation he found himself in. He chuckled to himself... the pitiful "civilized" man could be danced about like a puppet if you pulled the right strings, and Alex was more than willing to do just that to get what he wanted.

The Governor sat as his desk warily for a few moments, thinking over what he needed to do. He had to call Maggie in and find a way to explain this to her without making her hate him. â??Guard, go fetch my daughter.â? he called to the man standing at the door. He bowed and went off to the library, retrieving Maggie quickly.

Maggie had a grave look upon her face when she entered her fatherâ??s study, she could feel the tension there. She sat down gingerly, looking him straight in the eyes. â??Daddyâ?¦whatâ??s happened?â? she asked softly, innocently, fragily. The tone of her voice broke the Governorâ??s heart even more, how could he be giving away his sweet daughter to such a horrid man as a pirate?

He cleared his throat and sat up straight, â??Margaret,â? he said slowly, using her formal name, which tipped her off that what he had to tell her was not going to be good. â??Margaret, your wedding has been moved to Sunday.â? the Governor watched the color in Maggieâ??s face turn from rosy to red. He cleared his throat again, â??And you are not to marry Lord Paulingousâ?¦you will be marrying the Dread Pirate Bender,â? then the anger erupted from his small daughter.

â??I am to marry WHO!?â? she shouted, flying up from the chair, her face purple now. â??Who!? A pirate? Father!â? her chest was heaving: in anger, in terror, in sadness, with betrayal. How could he have done this to her?

The Governor raised a hand to her gravely, â??Margaret, this is not to be discussed. It is for the safety of the island. He demanded your hand in marriage in return for the safety of the island. You know what my choice had to be,â? Maggie just stared at him for a few moments, tears welling up in her eyes.

â??Fine.â? she said coldly, her words laced with venom, â??Then know you shall never see me again after Sunday, whether the pirate wills it so or not.â? she clenched her fists for a second and then turned and stormed out of the room.

The next few days flew by with wedding preparations. The Governor was putting it on as a grande affair so that the islanders would suspect nothing. Maggie was fitted for a lavish gown and her hair was done up extravagantly. Ilsa was the only one truly excited about this, she loved weddings.

It had come to Sunday morning and all of the appropriate nobles were gathered in the cathedral. Maggie was sequestered in a side room with Ilsa and would stay there until she was called out to walk down the aisle with her father, the last time they would ever be together. Her heart was calm, her face was stone. She was prepared to hate her new husband from the start and give him nothing. She could hear the music playing from within, and then the knock came. It was time for her to walk.

The arranged day had finally come. Alex was aboard the dinghy that Noah had taken, a few of his crew members also along as an honor guard. He had left Noah at the command of his Fleet, lest the Governor decide to try to double cross him, there would still be a strong head of leadership to either free him or take revenge as necessary.

There were quite a few whispers as he marched up to the cathedral. Many recognized him as his previous persona as Alex Baroaster, but now everyone knew who he really was. He was dressed decently, but not up to the usual extravegance that many of the nobles wore. A fine brown velvet longcoat, white shirt, the collar undone, black slacks, and nice leather boots. He had his hair up in a ponytail again, and was well shaved. He made sure he didn't look like one of these fancy dandies, but he still wanted to look decent for his wedding.

Walking in, and striding confidently down the isle to stand at the head of cathedral. He gave the pastor a nod, who looked him over wearily. He could hear behind him the whispers amongst the crowds. Most didn't know him, but quite a few recognized him from the ball the first night he had arrived. He ignored them, turning to the pastor, "I am the groom, if that's what you were wondering." He said, matter-of-factly.

"I am aware of who you are," the pastor said drily, nodding to an altar boy who went to knock on the side room. Maggie was ushered out of another door to the outside of the cathedral so that her father could walk her in. She saw him standing there, anguish written all over his face. He lifted his head and looked at Maggie when she walked up to him. The Governor opened his arms to her for a final hug, but she just turned away from him and offered him her arm to take while he walked her.

The music crecendoed and the cathedral doors swung open. The crowd turned and awed at the site of Maggie with her hair piled on top of her head, her face covered by the veil. Her dress was long and flowing, a brilliant white laced with real pearls. It hugged her body but was extremely fashionable and still proper. She and her father walked down the aisle silently, her face still stone.

When she reached the front her father bowed slightly and sat down. She turned towards the groom, expecting to see a new face. Instead she saw Alex's. Her eyes grew wide and her jaw dropped. Alex? She trembled for a moment, her face turning from cold hate to hot anger. Her hands clenched together...Alex. She couldn't believe that he was a pirate, let alone this pirate.

Alex turned to see Maggie come up to the altar. He gave her his charming grin. "I'm sure this is quite the surprise for you, milady." Unlike the accent she knew before, this was a much more casual one. She couldn't place it, but the change was shocking, as was his demeanor. It wasn't so much anything he wore or the way he talked, but something about him just drew attention to him and commanded a certain amount of respect. It was so different.

Back
Top Bottom