Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Parlay's Reward [Nurse_K & Kaziel]

Kaziel

Supporter
Supporter
They sailed around the bend of the isle, branches hanging low, laden hundreds of bright green leaves, the lush, verdant life of the forest blocking his view until the town came into view. Ahead was Charlestown, capitol of the Isle of Nevis. Captain Alex Bender, the infamous pirate, let a wicked smile creep over his face as he looked at the sleepy port town. Glancing to the right, just south of the town and a little up a hill was the small Fort Charles, the source of most of the defense of the town, and most of the island. Such defenses would not be enough to repel his fleet.

He was almost tempted to just turn the ship around right then and there, but seeing a few other ships that could be hiding additional troops or defenses which could turn an otherwise simple pillaging raid into a much more bloody incident. He had slowly built up his fleet of pirate ships and crew of over two hundred men, not by being bold or impatient, but by being clever, dangerous, and choosy.

Turning back to look at the commander of the Gilded Wake, a brigantine, which doubled as one of the warships he used in his fleet, and the ship he used to sneak into ports. Shouting across the ship, he told the commander to bring the ship in. Saluting in reply to the order, he began signaling to his crew to prepare to dock.

They slipped into an open spot on one of the piers, and as soon as the ship was secured, he leapt from the side down onto the jetty, the wood creaking as he impacted. Standing to his full height he was around five foot, ten inches tall, not a giant by any means, but he found that he was taller than most he knew. Wearing a long brown leather coat, various accouterments hanging from it, a pair of trousers, the hems tucked into his leather boots, his shirt buttoned up half way, his tightly muscled physique from years spent sailing clearly visible. Reaching up he ran his hand through his long blond hear,kept light from days spent in the sun. Unlike many pirates, he kept his hair free of snarls and tangles, as he loved to feel the sea breeze blowing through it. His face was thin, a bit weathered from the years and tanned to a light brown which contrasted sharply with his bright blue eyes which glanced around, seeing who, if anyone, was coming to investigate the newly berthed ship. After a few moments he reached up, stroking his reddish-blond goatee, the only hair on his face and began strolling up toward the coastal town, hoping to see plenty of traders making the place ripe for the plunder.

It's was Maggie's custom to go down from the fortress and into the down once a week to shop. Her father, the Governor, used to chide her for doing this. He said that the products weren't of fine enough quality, that he could easily order her things from England, and that she shouldn't mingle with the common people. Maggie ignored his chiding and went anyway, and after awhile he stop saying anything about it.

Maggie, or Margaret, was an average sized girl. She was five foot three inches tall with light brown hair and honey brown eyes. Her face was a little browned from constantly being in the sun, but the rest of her was milky and pale, as it was always covered by her gowns. She was still young, only just seventeen, but her body was coming along nicely. She had soft skin, a round butt, firm breasts, and strong thighs. She had many suitors and was kind to them all, but none had really struck her as being right.

It was an especially warm and sunny day when Maggie ventured down into the market for her usual trip. She was wearing a pale pink gown with white lacey ruffles on the bodice and sleeves. She had a white lace parasol over her head and a wicker basket in the other. She was browsing through the stalls looking for some pretty ribbon.

Sauntering up the main boulevard, the breeze blowing slightly off the coast, pushing his long coat tight against him. Turning to a stall he looked over what was available, a few different fruits from the small isle. Querying the vendor about prices and flavors, he picked out a few and tossed him a coin. A bit more than the value of what he picked out, but not significantly so to raise attention, plus anything lost would be more than made up for with the gains from the forthcoming raid.

He slipped the various pieces of produce into the pockets of his jacket save one, the starfruit, which he took a full bite of. Having not tried this one before, he savored the sweet, tangy flavor, juices of the fruit dribbling from his lips and dropping off his beard. Wiping the nectar from his chin, smiling at the taste, and he began to nibble at it to ensure none of the savory liquid escaped him.

The sun beat down, but he reveled in the innocence and purity of such simple pleasures as he continued to make his way into town, his sharp eyes glancing over the wide variety of wares available at Charlestown. Part of the reason he had picked it as a potential target was that it was a major English trading port in the region, which meant there was always a steady supply of both goods worth selling and money to take as their own. He even enjoyed the sights of the various ladies out shopping on the town.

Then she came around the corner. Alex came to a halt as she came into sight, her parasol covering her from the strong sun, but despite that, her bronzed skin showed she was no stranger to those warming rays. His eyes roved over her, the various dressings on her gown slightly hiding the shapely form of her body, but he could catch glimpses of it as she moved, the breeze momentarily pressing it against her.

Shaking himself out of the daze he found himself in at her appearance. Slipping behind her, he could detect a faint scent of honey drifting from her. Reached into his pocket, he pulled out another Starfruit and snaked it around her shoulder so it appeared before her face. "A sweet little morsel for a delightfully sweet little lady?" He offered to her, switching his voice to a genteel manner he saved for delicate situations.

Maggie had been humming to herself quietly as she roamed through the shops, looking for the best ribbon. She jumped when she heard a smooth and silky voice and a starfruit appeared in front of her. "Oh!" she said and turned around, her hand grasping the fruit. Starfruit was her favorite. Her eyes widened when she saw the man before her. She looked him up and down, not so discreetly, as she was taken by his appearance. "Why, thank you sir." she said with a little smile, turning the fruit over in her hands.

He was incredibly handsome. She'd never seen a man quite like him before. He did look a little rough and weather-beaten, but handsome nonetheless. She thought it a little scandalous that his shirt was only half buttoned, but she wasn't going to complain. He had such strong muscles, as if he'd spent his entire life sailing. She took a bite of the starfruit, some of the juice dripping out onto her lips. She chewed and swallow, licking the juice off of her lips. "Mmmm...starfruits are my favorite," she whispered to him, a little twinkle in her eyes.

She wondered where he had come from. She knew most of the people on the island, especially the nobles, but she had never seen him before. She had a million questions to ask him but she knew that would be too forward and so she waited for him to ask her first, as she was fairly sure he would.

He grinned at her, enjoying watching her eyes trail over him from head to toe. Taking another slight whiff of her sweet scent in, he stepped back and bowed deeply before her. "I am Alex Baroaster, a trader and owner of the Gilded Wake." he said, easily slipping into his alter-ego as a respectable trader.

"I am glad that my gift is as pleasing to you, as you are to my eyes." He said as he straightened, watching as her dainty tongue slipped between her lips, licking the droplets of the starfruit juice from them. "Though I am saddened to admit that this is the first time trying such a delicacy." Saying this, he took another bite of his own, rolling his eyes to show the enjoyment he recieved from eating the scrumptious morself. "This is my first time on the Isle of Nevis, though my travels have taken myself and my ship far and wide."

"Oh, but I am truly forgetting my manners. I have introduced myself, but I have not asked your name, fair lady. Would you be willing to bestow such a thing to a mere trader?" he asked as he graced her with another of his best smiles.

Maggie smiled playfully at him, twirling her parasol over her shoulder a couple of times as she watched him biting into the fruit again. Of all the fruits, starfruits were the juiciest and the best, at least in her mind. "I've never been away from Nevis," she said pleasantly, she hadn't thought it was odd for her to stay in one mansion on one island for all of her eighteen years. "Though I imagine travelling the world is quite wonderful," she sighed softly and looked toward the bright blue ocean.

"Oh!" she gasped and blushed a little bit, "My name is Margaret Havisher. But you can call me Maggie, if you like," she smiled playfully at him. She didn't mention that she was the governor's daughter, she didn't like to get preferential treatment. She was fairly sure he would know anyway, as there were signs all over the island displays decrees and festivals hosted by Governor Havisher.

"I'll admit that I've barely seen anything beyond my native home of England and these East Indies, but what I've already seen could take your breath away." He glanced up as if remembering where he had been, "Wondrous birds of all colors of the rainbow, strange animals, fish that leap through the air, fruits of every flavor from sweet to tangy to spicy, even giant triangular buildings made of stones larger than even the King's Castle back in the Motherland." Looking back at her, he gave her another charming smile. "The world is a strange and wonderful place, filled with so much to see, and so little time to see it all with."

As Maggie introduced herself, he deftly slipped his hand up and she suddenly found her parasol taken from her hand, but still held above her. Taking her hand in his other, he drew it down and bowed again, lightly touching his lips to the back of her hand, then glancing up at her, looking her in the eyes. "It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Maggie." He, of course, did recognize her last name, and knew almost instantly that she was the governor's daughter, but since she didn't mention it, he opted not to act like he knew, but he filed that detail away for later use.

She blushed when he took her hand and kissed it, he was so charming. He'd removed her parasol from her hand in one swift movement, he was suave as well. All of her other suitors had acted like they were suave and charming, but she knew what they really were underneath. They were petty nobleman who just wanted to marry her so that they could have an in with the governor and make her bare their children. She detested them all, though she'd always been more than cordial to them. This man, Alex, was different. She knew she wouldn't mind getting to know him better.

"You're very kind, Mr. Baroaster." she said, using his formal name. She had planned on asking him to go through the market with her, but the church bell struck two just as she was about to ask him. She huffed a little and frowned, "Well I'm sorry, Mr. Baroaster, but I have to go home for tea and lessons." she rolled her eyes at the thought of that, another boring French lesson. "I hope to see you soon," she smiled at him playfully again, his hand still holding hers lightly.

He straightened, still holding her hand, and she could feel his thumb lightly brushing against her finger. "Tis a shame you must go, but proper upbringing is truely the sign of a well-bred lady." He then released her hand, his fingertips brushing against her palm before holding her parasol out to her. "And I would like to see you soon as well. I heard there was an informal ball tonight to be held at Fort Charles. Would you happen to be going?"

Her sweet smile fell from her face as he mentioned the ball. Her mouth hung open for a moment as she tried to come up with some kind of excuse, but there was none. "I, um...yes, I will be there." she said quickly, trying to cover up her lack of an answer. She took a step back from him, part of her telling her to just run away before he could ask any questions. "Perhaps I will see you there," she said, smiling a little awkwardly now. She was incredibly embarassed to have acted so dumb in front of such a handsome man.

He, of course, knew the daughter of the governor would appear at the ball, but he had asked anyway to cover hiding the knowledge that he knew of her lineage. "Well, I will have to put on some of my finery in hopes of seeing you there." He acted unphased by her stuttering, and he bowed again. "You should be on your way... musn't be late for your lesson, but before you go, milady, were you able to find that which you came out to purchase today?"

She glanced down into her basket, filled with trinkets but no ribbons, "Oh! No...I didn't find the ribbon," she pouted a little, upset at herself. She had wanted to find a light blue ribbon to tie in her hair for tonight's ball, it would contrast her royal blue gown. She sighed, "Oh well. Light blue is an elusive color anyway," she said and shook her head. "I really must go now." she said and began to walk away from him. She turned her head and looked at him over her shoulder as she walked away, sad that she had to leave such a fine man to go learn French, of all things. Now she wasn't even sure if she could look forward to the ball tonight, Alex would find out who she was and surely either refuse her or try to usurp her.

He watched her walk away, enjoying her fine figure underneath her dress. He gave her a smile and a nod as she looked at him one last time before turning around a corner out of sight. Pondering, he spun and began briskly walking back to the Gilded Wake.

Though the Gilded Wake's existance as a Trader's ship was nothing but a lie, they kept a full stock of goods so that if they were inspected, they wouldn't be found empty-handed. The crew waved and nodded to him as he hurried down to the cargo hold and began searching through what was held in it.

Before he had allowed the goods to be stored, he had gone through looking at what was there to see if anything struck his fancy. He could have sworn he remembered seeing it at the time, but it had held little interest to... "Ah ha!" he said aloud as he found a long silk sky blue ribbon. Some of the goods down here were quite valuable, but that was necessary to keep up the illusion, and this silk accessory was an example of just such an item.

Carefully storing it in his pouch, he made his way to his cabin, normally reserved for the First Mate, but since he was the Captain of the fleet, he took it as his own, leaving the Commander of the ship to the Captain's Cabin. Going through his clothes he picked out one of his better suits to wear. Certainly far beneath what the royalty would wear, but as a "trader", it fit the bill perfectly. He spent the rest of the afternoon preparing for tonight's ball.

Maggie walked home briskly, slipping into her lesson room through a secret passage form her room a split second before the tutor came in through the normal entrance. She smiled innocently at the old hag and snored through the two hour lesson. As soon as she clock struck four she hopped up and dashed off to her room. For now at least she'd forgotten that she was the governor's daughter and that Alex would soon know that. She allowed the maids to undress her and powder her body, stretching here and there as she could.

Her favorite hand maiden, Ilsa, began to lace up her royal blue gown. "Ilsa..." Maggie said slowly, "Do you think it would be terrible if I didn't go tonight?" she had remembered about Alex. Ilsa looked up at Maggie, shock written all over her place. "Margaret! Of course you do. No question." to which Maggie sighed and nodded, resigning easily to going. She knew the scandal that would be caused by her not going. Once she was dressed Ilsa went about pinning her hair up into a fluff of curls, though it remained ribbonless.

A butler came up and knocked on the door, "Lady Margaret, your father has called for you. The guests are arriving and the ball is about to begin," Maggie sighed, stood, straightened out any wrinkles she saw in her gown, and headed towards the door. She opened it and went down the stairs to meet her father, the governor. People glanced at her and began to whisper about her beautiful and intricate gown, which just so happened to accentuate her figure.

Alex had shown up a little early, wearing a long blue coat, with a white under shirt and fine blue slacks, his every step announced with a click of the heels of his black leather boots. He had taken the time to wash up before dressing and had shaved and trimmed his goatee and put his hair up in a ponytail, giving him a much cleaner look than when he had first arrived on the Nevis. Quite a few of his crewmembers had sniggered as he passed by all dressed up, and he grinned at them and gave them a good-natured wave for them to get back to work.

A few of the men had shown interest in his trading business and two of the ladies were intrigued by his, comparatively, exotic looks. He had made small talk, introducing himself as he went around those who had begun to gather. Minutes passed, and he found himself bored out of his mind.

Suddenly, the ballroom went quiet as Margaret arrived. He feigned shock over hearing her introduced as the governor's daughter so if she caught sight of him, his lie of what he know wouldn't be blown. Though to be honest, he found her simply stunning. Her dress fitted her much better, and he could scarcely take his eyes off her.

Maggie stood by her father as she was introduced, her eyes remaining fixed at the door far beyond the crowd as they always were. She'd learned that if she fixed her eyes there, almost everyone in the room would think she was looking exactly at them. Then she stepped down the stairs and gave a little curtsy to the audience, and then to her father. She breathed a huge sigh of relief as most of the people went back to their little seperate conversations. She was about to go and speak to one of her tutors, her favorite, English, when she noticed Alex standing in a suit which very nearly matched hers.

She walked over to him slowly, a little smile on her face, though her cheeks were red with embarassment. "Well, I suppose my secret is out." she said playfully as she came up to him, her hands clasped together and resting in front of her. "I'm the governor's daughter,"

He smiled back as she walked over to him. "Well, I guess I can understand why you don't go around announcing it. Probably everyone treats you like you're a little porceline doll when they hear that." He let his eyes rove over her slowly, taking her beauty in at a much closer distance. "Though I am sure you're no little doll, you are as beautiful as porceline."

Smiling, he reached into his coat and slowly pulled out the long sky blue silk ribbon he had found earlier. "You said you wanted a blue ribbon. I was able to find this in my store of trading goods... I hope it's what you wanted." He held it out to her, it's soft color contrasting with the deep tan of his hands.

Her face turned even redder as he commented on her beauty. She swayed a little bit, he was so charming she almost didn't think he could be real. A merchant trader as charming as he? Impossible. He must be a figment of her imagination. When he held the silk ribbon out to her her eyes lit up and she gasped softly, her hand coming to cover her mouth. "Oh, goodness!" she whispered, her eyes frozen for a moment on the silk ribbon.

"For me?" she asked, her eyes slowly lifting from the ribbon to his arm, his chest, and then to his eyes. "You're so kind," she said, a beaming smile spreading across her face. She lifted the ribbon out of her hand and reached behind her, tieing it in a secure bow. She did a little turn of her head, "Does it look good?" she asked excitedly.

He placed his hand on his chin as if carefully examining her, stroking his beard, before he replied with a warm smile "It goes perfectly with your dress. It makes you even more radiant than you already were." He gave her another small bow, saying "I hope it's to your liking."

Before he could say much more the Governor strode over to see who it was who was speaking with daughter with honey-laced words. "Margaret, dear, who is this colorful gentleman who seems to have caught your attention?" He asked her. He was dressed about as well as Alex was, his hair hidden beneath a white powdered wigs which were the fashion trend of the day. Alex stepped to the side, allowing room for all three of them to stand together in a small triangle.

She giggled very softly, "Oh, I love it. It's beautiful, thank you so much, Mr. Baroaster." she turned immediately when she saw her father coming. She smiled at him and looped her arm into his, "Oh, hi daddy." she said sweetly to him. He used to hate her calling him 'daddy' in front of others, but after he learned it got him points for being a good father, he learned to enjoy it.

"This is Alex Baroaster. He's the Captain of the Gilded Wake. He gave me this ribbon," she said proudly, turning her head so that he could see the beautiful ribbon displayed in her hair. Her eyes twinkled, she was obviously smitten with this man, unlike with all the hundreds of other suitors her father had tried before.

Bowing deeply before the Governor, he straightened looking the tall man in the eye with a soft smile. "It is an honor to make your acquaintance, Your Grace." He smiled as he watched her showing off the ribbon he had just given to her to her father.

"Though I would like to clarify, I am a mere trader and the owner of my ship. I am no captain." He let out a soft laugh, "Though I do enjoy helping crew it from time to time. The heady smell of the salty air and a good day's work helps to keep a man healthy, I say." As to emphasize the effects of what he did, he flexed his shoulders, his physique roughly visible through the overcoat.

Meanwhile, her father had been staring intently at Alex, giving him a pleasant smile, but his eyebrows together in through. "I'm sorry young man, but you look incredibly familiar... have we met before?"

Alex let one of his eyebrows raise in confusion, as the hair on the back of his neck rose. As a governor, he would be privy to the various wanted posters that the Empire spread and could very well recognize him. The changes he'd made to himself for the ball should be enough so that he'd remain anonymous, but he'd have to remain alert from then on. Shaking his heead, "No your grace, this is the first time I've come to Nevis."

"Daddy, don't be silly. It's his first time here," Maggie chided her father playfully. Anyone else who dared to chide the governor would have gotten a swift execution, but his daughter held sway over him in a way that no one else could ever dream of doing. He just shook his head and grinned down at her. Maggie cleared her throat, "Well, daddy...thank you for coming over and visiting..." she said, hinting that he should go mingle elsewhere, "I'm sure there are many nobles just itching to speak with you,"

And with that she unwrapped her arm from his and shot a playful glance at Alex. She smoothed out her dress and folded her hands together again, looking around the ballroom. The music was playing nicely and she wanted to dance, but she certainly wasn't going to ask anyone. She was the governor's daughter, everyone always asked her.

Alex ducked his head and coughed to covered his laughter as this slight girl was able to dismiss the Governor of an entire island with just a single sentence. Looking back up at her, he smiled as he saw her glancing around. Not one to miss the meaning of what she wanted, he extended one of his carmel hands to her. "Miss Havisher," he started, being properly formal, "May I have this dance?" He again bowed slightly, smiling up at her.

Maggie feigned surprise as he asked to dance with her. She took his warm hand lightly, "Oh, you may, good sir," she said with a snooty accent, giggling as she allowed him to leader her out on the dance floor. She wondered what kind of a dancer he was. He was a sailor, and though he was suave and charming, sailors weren't know for their grace. Maggie had taken dancing lessons since she was three and she adored dancing. She hoped he would be a good partner

Guiding her out onto the dance floor, he took her hand and raised it up, arm going around her slim waist and he began to lead her in dancing along with the music. Despite the many lies he had told her this day, there was the occasional truth mixed in. He had been born in England, and had grown up as a servant to a rich family. Before they had thrown him out, the daughter of the family was quite smitten with him, and she had taught him to dance. Along with that, years of moving about at sea gave him amazing poise and balance, which made dancing even easier than it had been in those long-ago days.

They glided about the floor, more than a few whispers spreading through the crowd as this strange, charming man had swept into Charlestown like a hurricane.

Back
Top Bottom