Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Parlay's Reward [Nurse_K & Kaziel]

Maggie was pleasantly surprised at the way Alex could dance. She held onto his shoulder and his hand comfortably, allowing him to lead her. Usually she was a little bit of a lead, as many men could not dance as well as they thought they could, but this time she was only following. She laughed as they spun, dipped, and trotted along the floor. He was a marvelous dancer. When the song drew to a close she became sad, having to move away from him and allow another gentleman to dance with her. If she had more than one dance with Alex it would look like they were betrothed, as betrothed girls were only to dance with their intended unless he gave permission, and she knew she couldn't let it look like something it was not.

"You are a marvelous dancer, Alex." she said sweetly as she regained her breath. Several men had already approached her for a dance.

"And you are a marvelous partner to dance with." He gave her his most charming smile, then backed away. "While I would love to dance with you again, it would be horribly rude of me to dominate your attention all night, when these fine gentlemen seek it." He gave her a quick wink, before he began to slip away from the dance floor.

Already a plan was forming in his head. He knew his crew would be quite unpleased, but he could balance it all out. As the captain he was certainly not lacking in funds to balance out the loss of not raiding a single port, and he coveted this girl. While he knew he could just raid the city, taking her along with whatever spoils they claimed, it was one thing to raid a city, another entirely to kidnap the governor's daughter. He would have half the English Fleet hounding him, and that would not end well. So within the week he would put his plan into action. Hopefully everything would go as he thought it would, but he had already realized how things could go completely awry at a moment's notice.

After walking around thinking for a few minutes, he found himself standing outside on a balacony, the chill of the night settling in after a warm day. He had grabbed a glass of wine as he wandered and took a brief sip.

Maggie was beraged with dance requests for the next hour. After a dozen dances she needed to take a rest, so she quietly excused herself, promising more dances in a few moments. She walked out onto the balcony, breathing heavily. As soon as the cool Caribbean night air hit her face, she felt better. She took a deep breath and walked to the railing, holding onto it and pushing her face out over it, "Ahh....so nice," she murmured.

She then noticed a body down the rail. She turned and look, a bright smile spreading across her face when she saw it was Alex. "Oh, hello Mr. Baroaster! Enjoying the ball, I hope?" she asked, staying where she was. She wanted to move closer, but again, she would keep to the demands of her society and what it deemed proper.

Lost in his thoughts and plans, Alex hadn't noticed that Margaret had joined him out on the balcony. Hearing her voice, his head perked up and he glanced down toward her. "I am enjoying myself..." he replied, as he started to walk down to where she stood, "...though I would be lying if I didn't say that I am a little jealous that the other gentlemen can dance with you, and that I've already had my dance for the night."

He stopped mere inches from her, she could feel the warmth radiating off of him. He had cleaned himself up, but there was still a slightly salty smell about him. She could imagine that it was something that stuck to almost all men of the sea. He looked down into her eyes, the hand that was close to the railing, hidden from view outside, reached out and he placed it gently on her hip, not going any further, but certainly not a causal gesture.

Her heart sped up as he walked towards her. She smiled up at him, stifling a mushy sigh. She giggled, "Well...I'm sure there will be many more balls in the future," she said cheerily. Her face flushed when he placed his hand on her hip. A battle raged between her heart and her mind. Her heart wanted her to press against him, to kiss him, to let him hold her. Her mind told her that she was unmarried and unbetrothed, she was the governor's daughter and had to remain proper at all times. Her mouth dropped open for a moment, and then she closed it.

"Mr. Baroaster...I believe it's time for me to turn in for the night," she said a little awkwardly. She didn't want to refuse him, but she knew that she had to. She only hoped that he wouldn't be too upset by it.

Though it was dim out here, he could clearly see her reaction to his touch. He was able to hold in a laugh as her petite, cute mouth opened and closed a few times. He let his hand slip away from her as she started to speak of going. "Of course, milady." he replied and stepped back, giving her a bow.

Her reactions spoke the exactly the opposite of what her words did. Had she had issue with his touch, she could have slapped him, or run to her father. Such forthrightness was easily grounds for some time in jail if the Governor had said so.

"I hope to see you on the morrow, Miss Havisher." Keeping to formalities while they were around others.

"Perhaps, Mr. Baroaster. Though twice in one day is quite a lot for two new people, don't you think?" she asked him politely, hinting that if he came back tomorrow it would cause suspicion. She gave him a small curtsey, her eyes never leaving his until she reentered the ballroom. She glanced at him quickly from over her shoulder as she went inside. She went through the motions of a few more dances that she's agreed to earlier and then made her formal good-bye.

She went up stairs and flung herself onto the bed with a groan. Her favorite handmaiden, Ilsa, shrieked at her, "Lady Margaret! You will wrinkle your dress!" to which Maggie replied, "Oh shut it, Ilsa. I've had a wonderful evening, let me lounge, will you?" Ilsa tutted at her but sat in an armchair and watched the girl as she sighed up at her cieling. After a few minutes she got up, "Okay Ils, go at it." she said playfully as Ilsa undressed her. She got into her nightgown and snuggled into her bed, "Such a good night," she said warmly as she drifted off to sleep.

He mused on what she said. He did want to see her again, but he also knew that he couldn't tarry long at the port. The Fleet had their orders that if he didn't return within a six days, they were to assume he was captured or hanged, and they were to commence with the raid. It had taken them over a day to arrive in the port from the nearby archipelago where the rest of his ships had berthed. It would take close to the same time for him to return, and with one day already spent, he would have to leave on the morning, three days hence. For appearance's sake, he would have to spend one full day "trading", he had only one more day to see Maggie.

Leaving a message for her with the fort's staff would be even more suspect than seeing her again, the servants sure to spread rumors far and wide. He definitely did not want to become the talk of the town, though there would certainly be some talking about him since she talked to him privately right at the start of the ball.

Stroking his chin, another idea sprouted into his head. Walking over the doorway into the ballroom, he watched her dance a few more dances, just to be polite, then he watched carefully as she made her way away for the night. He saw the direction she went, noting that she resided upstairs. He couldn't get a more specific idea than that without attracting more undo attention. For appearance's sake, he took to the dance floor and danced with a few more ladies, mostly going through the motions before he excused himself.

He hurried back to the Gilded Wake, and changed out of those stuffy clothes and into something far more comfortable. A black pair of pants, soft soled boots, a black vest and long sleeved shirt, and he pulled a black bandanna around his hair. Previously quite the peacock with his various colors strutting his stuff, he now blended in to the darkness of the night much more easily. Generally he cared not for his skin tone, but occasionally it came in handy. Times like these when being pale would have made him more obvious as he snuck, his dark toned skin benefitted him greatly.

He spent the next few hours watching the Fort, seeing as the lights dimmed and the last people left, the ball finally winding down well past midnight. He began making his way through the town and up the hill to the Fort. At this time of night, he found the guards to be tired at best, and in many cases sleeping. He was able to scale the wall and sneak up to the mansion where Margaret lived.

Standing beneath the balcony where they had been talking mere hours before, he bent his legs beneath and launched himself up, his gloved fingertips gripping the edge. Muscles straining, he pulled himself up and over, rolling silently into a crouch. Glancing around, he saw no one out on the balcony, and he padded over to one of the large doors and experimentally tried it, finding it open. Peeking inside, he saw the ballroom emptied and no one inside, quite to his relief.

Sneaking through the large room, sticking to the walls, he eventually found himself at the stairway leading up. He tentatively stepped on each one, fearing that the squeak of a loose board would reveal his presence to anyone nearby. It wasn't until he found himself at the top of the stairs that he realized he'd been holding his breath.

Looking around the top floor, he saw six doors to various rooms. When she had gone up the stairs, she had taken a left, so he glanced in that direction, three rooms remained as viable options. He could see the light of a candle showing from underneath the doorway farthest from where he was and Alex reasoned that in that room was where the Governor resided and he was burning the midnight oil. Looking back and forth between the two remaining doors, he considered, and came to the conclusion that if he were a father with a beloved daughter, he'd want her as close to him as he could get. The second room on the left seemed like his best bet.

Creeping down the hallway, on one step the floor creaked loudly. Eyes going wide, he glanced around and saw a curtain hanging decoratively. Quickly ducked behind it, his heart thudding in his chest. Moments later from the first door he'd already passed there was a squeak as it was opened and he heard gruff voice, probably one of the aristocratic visitors to Nevis, mumbling. After this man saw there was nothing out there, the door shut.

Alex let out another breath he found himself holding and peaked out from his hiding place with a single eye. Finding the area all clear, he slipped out and continued sneaking down towards the second door, now more sure of his destination than before, this time avoiding the squeaky bit of ground. Arriving at the door, he tested it gently, and found it smoothly opened. Peeping inside, he easily found the large bed and saw Margaret laying in her lavish covers, sleeping soundly.

He crept across her room to where she slept, reaching into his belt pouch and drew out a small letter he had written for her, "Maggie" written across the front with no sign of who wrote it. Placing it on her bedside table, he took a moment to look at her as she slept. She was breathtaking when awake, but when she slept, she looked like an angel. He turned to find his way out.

Maggie had fallen into a deep, deep sleep by the time all of the guests had left the house from the ball. While she was sleeping she began to have a dream. In her dream, Maggie was sailing on a ship. The salty sea was blowing in her face, the wind blowing her hair back. Her hands were gripping the railing tightly, her skirt ruffling in the wind. There was ocean all around her, no land in sight. The water was a clear blue, if she looked down she could see fish swimming around in the deep water.

She turned her head and looked behind her, and there was Alex, leaning against the inner cabin door looking at her. He was wearing the same blue suit he'd been wearing that night at the ball. He was grinning at her, arms crossed over his chest, looking incredibly handsome and yet mischievious as well, like he was hiding a secret from her. Maggie turned around and ran over to him, throwing her arms around his neck and pressing against him softly.

"Tell me your secrets, Alex." she said to him softly, pressing her forehead against his, their eyes almost touching, "Tell me all of them," she leaned in to kiss him, but then he pushed her away. "I have no secrets, Maggie," he said to her gravely, "I am a trader. A merchant. I am honest in all things, my life is not one of riches." and then his face grew shadowy and mean. He pushed her further away from her, opened the door to the cabin and went inside. He slammed the door shut and she could hear him lock it.

Maggie sank down to the deck floor, her dress crumpling beneath her. "Alex! Alex!" she screamed, her fists banging on the floor, "Alex don't do this to me! Alex, please!" she sobbed, her hands finally resting on the wooden deck, her head bent and tears streaking down her face. "Alex? Alex? Don't you love me?" she whispered, mostly to herself than to him, she knew he couldn't hear her.

Maggie awoke from the dream slowly, her eyes adjusting to her dark room. She turned over and looked towards the door. She thought she saw a dark figure frozen there, but when she squinted her eyes she could still only see a sea of darkness. She heaved a sigh and rolled over the other way, closing her eyes again. In moments, she was asleep again.

The sun dripped in through the curtains as Maggie continued to sleep. Ilsa came running in and tore the curtain open, "Rise and shine, Margaret!" she chirped, to which Maggie groaned. She rolled over and saw a little note sitting next to her bed. She sat up and moved her hair out of her way, picking it up. It had "Maggie" written on it in script. She opened it and began to read.

The paper inside was folded over itself twice. Unfolding it revealed a rich lettering, carefully written with few smudges of the black ink or rogue droplets fallen from a quill.

Dearest Maggie,

First and foremost I would like to apologize if the appearance of this letter disturbs you. I can imagine that the idea of someone sneaking into one's room in the dead of night can be unnerving, but I merely wished to contact you in a manner that would not create undue trouble for you.

You are, of course, correct that seeing eachother again the very next day would raise unwanted questions and spread rumors, something that both your father and you are certain to want to avoid. In my haste and desire to spend more time with you I had forgotten proper protcol.

I am sorry to admit that some of my haste is due to duties I have on other islands. As a trader, business never stops and dues must be paid. I have but two more full days here on Nevis. On the morning of the day after tomorrow (when you read this), the Gilded Wake must make for other isles, and I know not when I will be able to return.

I will be using today to conduct trades and offer my wares to the various shops about Charlestown, and give my crew a chance at some free time the day after. I will be, around noon, looking in the central square for additional personal purchases. If we were, by chance, to encounter eachother at such a time, the lips of the islanders would not be so prone to whispers as it was a mere random meeting.

Yours... truly,
Alexander Baroaster

======

As he was making his way out of Maggie's chamber, she had called out in her sleep to him. At first he thought she had awoken and found him there, especially when he saw her eyes looking in his direction. He had frozen, waiting to see how she reacted, but when she had rolled over, her breathing returning to the steady rhythm of sleep, he had realized he hadn't been spotted. With one glance back at Maggie, he snuck from her room with barely a sound.

Making his way back to the Gilded Wake was far less trouble than when he had prowled in, but found the trouble to more reside in his head that anything physical. Her cries of his name had somewhat unnerved him. Was he wrong? Did she not like him? Or may be the Governor had figured out his true identity and let her know, his secret now out in the open. There were always people on guard on his ship, so he didn't change anything, lest they or the local patrols thing something was up.

As the sun began to creep up over the horizon, he dragged himself from his small bed, rubbing the weariness from his eyes. Sleep had not come easily to Alex and was fleeting when he did get some. Making his way up to the deck, he glanced around, not seeing anyone waiting for him. He was still a little nervous, but each passing moment when there was no alarm raised, nor guards coming to his ship, his stomach settled a little more.

Maggie sat back against the pillows as she read the note. At first she was a little disturbed by it, but that passed quickly as she became upset that she hadn't acted on the shape she'd seen in her room last night. That had been Alex, they could have talked, they would have been alone without prying eyes there to thwart their speech. She read the note over and over again, her herat fluttering a little as she reread it every time.

She noticed that Ilsa was staring at her, so Maggie folded up the note again and clutched it close to her chest. "Help me dress, Ilsa?" she asked as she hopped out of the bed. Once Ilsa had gotten her dressed in a day gown, Maggie slipped the note inside her bodice. She smiled pleasantly at Ilsa, not saying a word about the note. She made her way downstairs for breakfast with her father. She chatted with him as she always did, though her mind was only on Alex and his note. She had to figure out how to meet him the next day.

She went through her day as quickly as she could, though it seemed to be going sluggishly. She had her lessons, had a luncheon with some of the other girls her age from the island, had more lessons, and then played piano for awhile. She sighed her way through dinner and went up to her room as soon as she could. She took out the note again and reread it a hundred more times. She was going to have to finagle her way out of the house the next day, but she had to try to see Alex again before he left Nevis for good.

Much as the day had passed sluggishly and blandly for Maggie, it did the same for Alex. Given his chosen profession, pretending to be a Trader, making deals and profits, buying new commodities that could be resold on other theoretical isles was mind-numbingly boring. Worse was he had to feign both interest and enjoyment over it all.

Around noon he took a break from the "business" at hand and retreated to the Gilded Wake, collapsing on his bed for a moment before there was a loud knock on his door. His head perked up and he grumbled as he made his way over to the portal. Opening it, he found a few soldiers led by an officer from Fort Charles. He straightened a bit at this sight. "Hello gentlemen."

"Sir." The leader of them doffed his hat to Alex. "I was asked by the Governor to come inspect your ship. Nothing intrusive. Just caution, you understand?" Glancing over the men here, he nodded. "Mostly we want to look through your trade goods."

Bowing his head slightly, he stepped out of his cabin. "This way, sirs." Alex said, thinking that he was glad, not for the first time, that they kept a store of real trading goods just for scenarios like this. Despite his calm demeanor, his heart thudded in his chest and in his ears.

Leading them downstairs to the mid level. There were four cannons dominating the view, two on each side of the small craft. The officer looked them over curiously. "Cannons? A heavy investment and the loss of much potential cargo room. Odd for a mere trader."

Giving his charming smile, he continued on his way down talking over his shoulder. "Well the price of lost cargo would be a much greater loss. One cannot be too careful in this day and age... Pirates and Privateers everywhere." While it was true, this was just cover. In a fleet such as his every ship needed to be armed. "Though in truth it's mostly just a deterrent. We carry only a minimalistic load of cannonballs. Enough to scare off potential raiders. They have served me well over the years." The officer nodded at this, seeing the relatively small number of shots spread through the floor.

Taking them down to the cargo hold, he showed off some of goods held there, much of the boxes were empty now from this morning's trading. "Anything else I can help you with, officer?" Alex asked. After a few minutes of looking through what he had down there they backed away. "No, sir. I apologize for the interruption," the officer replied.

Smiling as he led them out of the ship, he retreated back to his room, leaning against the wall, wiping the sweat from his brow. He was a good liar, but those types of situations could spiral out of control so quickly they always got him nervous.

=======

Within the hour up at the Fort the Officer reported into the Governor. "Your Grace, I have done as you instructed and checked the trader's ship, and while it seems heavily armed for just a trader, there's nothing too out of the ordinary." The Governor nodded. "Dismissed." he said with a wave of his hand. The officer snapped a sharp salute and withdrew from the room.

Stroking his chin, he looked out the window, down on the Gilded Wake. This morning, Ilsa had come to him with reports of a mysterious letter that had appeared in the night in his daughter's room. She couldn't get it for him since it hadn't left Maggie's person, but he felt his stomach clench at the thought of someone sneaking in at the dead of night. Plus he couldn't shake a bad feeling about the man.

Looking away, his face grim, he knew what he must do, as much as it pained him to make his beloved daughter sad.

=======

At dinner that night Maggie's father turned to her as she let out a sigh. "Dearest, if I may speak with you about something?" He waved the servants out of the room. Turning to her, he gave his most loving smile, "I can see you're quite smitten with the young trader who's just arrived on Nevis, but I forbid you to see him again." Before she could reply, he stood, excusing himself, and cutting off any objections she could present to him.

Maggie was enfuriated with her father. She had run up to her room and reread the letter a thousand times, tears spilling from her eyes. She crumpled the letter and threw it down on the ground. She wanted to see Alex again, badly, but how was she going to get out now? Her father wasn't going to let her go into town alone anymore, he'd send her with an escort. Even if she managed to sneak out, there would be guards placed all over the market to watch her. All of them would be eager to see her get caught, in hopes that her father would give her to one of them as a reward.

She flung herself off of her bed and reached behind herself, sloppily undoing the ties to her dress. She let it crumple to the floor, ripped her chamise and petticoats off, and pulled on a night gown. She left the dress in a pile on the ground, not caring if it was going to wrinkle and ruin. She ran back over to her bed and jumped onto it, stuffing her face into a pillow. She began to sob, she felt like her heart was tearing in two.

She had to give Alex up, she had to. She was the governor's daughter. Running away would bring him disgrace, and Alex probably wouldn't even take her anyway. She was probably just some cute island girl to him, he was probably married with children in England. She wouldn't dishonor her father, she wouldn't ruin him just for her own selfish motives. She loved him too much for that.

The rest of the day had gone smoothly for Alex, the trading keeping his cover secure. Retreating back to his ship, he got his crew together and gave them a brief overview of the situation. He didn't detail what exactly he was aiming to gain via his plan, but he did let them know that he would reimburse them for what they wouldn't get from the raid. A few were genuinely loyal to him so they weren't surprised, but everyone here enjoyed the spoils of their plunder. Telling everyone that they would have a day to go into port and be "good little sailors", there was some cheering. Being stuck on the boat for the last few days when they could have been out having a had dampered crew morale, and this was a much needed boost.

After this, he retired for the night to his cabin. He was looking forward to tomorrow greatly. He wasn't certain that Maggie would come, but he dearly hoped she would... it would be one of the last chances he would get to see her on uncomplicated terms... after tomorrow everything would change. He would get what he wanted, one way or another, but he didn't know where that path would lead him.

Maggie woke up extra early the next day. She bathed, got dressed, got her hair done, and ran down to her lessons. Her tutors were being difficult and wanted her to do extra work. She glanced at the clock every thirty seconds, unable to believe that only thirty seconds had passed. She huffed and hawed her way through her hours and hours of lessons. The clock chimed eleven and she flew from her desk to the dining hall.

Thankfully she was dining alone for lunch. She stuffed her face with the chicken and vegetables that was provided, it was delicious as always, but she had no time to enjoy it today. She threw her napkin down and ran to the front of the house. She opened the door and was about to step out when she ran smack into her father.

"AGH!" she screamed, her hand flying to her chest, "Daddy, you scared me!" she gasped for breath, she'd nearly been knocked over.

"Where do you think you're going, Margaret?" her father asked coldly, his hands clasped behind his back as he stared down at her with his gray eyes. Maggie couldn't hold his gaze, immeidately dropping her eyes to the floor.

"Oh, um...just for a walk Daddy, that's all. A walk through town. You know I like to do that," she said as sweetly as she could. But when she dared to lift her eyes she saw that he had taken none of what she said, he didn't believe an ounce of it. Maggie's heart was beating out of control and she knew she was sweating.

"No you're not, Margaret. You have a suitor coming today. Lord Paulingous, come all the way from England, just to meet you." he said as he turned her around and pushed her inside. She clenched her fists together, but complied.

Thanks to the previous night's lack of sleep, Alex slept very soundly that night. The sun beamed through one of the portholes, crawling across the cabin until it eventually landed on his face. Squinting his eyes as he awoke, he batted his hand at the lance of light fruitlessly a few times before he realized the cause of his discomfort. Throwing his feet over the edge of the bed, he pushed himself up and walked over to bucket of clean water. He splashed his face and looked in the mirror. His cheeks were starting to get fuzzy with stubble, but he chose to let it stay, giving him a rougher look around the edges. Sometimes he liked being a bit rogue-ish.

Changing into a colorful green vest, white satin shirt, black slacks and boots, a brown leather tricorn adorning his head, he stepped out and slowly made his way to the central square. It was a little before noon when he arrived. He had purchased a red ribbon for Maggie, so that she would have one to go with outfits that clashed with blue. The tip of the fabric hung from his pocket as he slowly looked around the square, standing in plain sight for whatever route she would take.

He glanced up at Fort Charles, wondering how things would go today.

Maggie had been forced to go out to the garden for afternoon tea with 'Lord Paulingous'. He was a horribly boring man who wasn't even attractive. He was fairly young, only thirty-three, but he acted as if he was already sixty. All he could talk about was banking, her having children for him, her living in his house in England. It was absolutely excruciating.

The worst part was that she could see down into the central square from the garden. She was sure that she could see Alex there in the square and he heart yearned for him. She saw him look around, search for her. She found it increasingly difficult to pay attention to anything Lord Paulingous had to say to her, she was hardly answering him when he asked her a question.

Alex walked around slowly, looking at the various stalls set up in the central square. Soon the bell rung, signalling that noon had come. He smiled, hoping she'd be here soon. The seconds passed, and then turned into minutes. Minutes turned into an hour, then another hour. But she did not show. His stomach growled, and he realized he hadn't eaten today... but he continued to wait.

After sitting with the horrid Lord Paulingous for three and a half hours he left to go back to the tavern. She wrenched herself out of the garden and ran to the front door again, but her father was waiting there. She stomped her foot on the ground and tried to push him out of the way, tried to run out the door, but he of course, would not let her.

"Daddy! DADDY! You have to let me go, let me go! I just want to go out!" she cried pitifully, beating her fists on his chest and pulling at his jacket. But he was silent and cold with her, pushing her away from the door and towards her lesson room. It was hopeless.

After the fourth hour passed, Alex realized she wasn't coming. Letting out a long sigh, he shuffled out of the square and found his way to closest tavern. His stomach was grumbling from lack of sustenance. Walking in, he ordered a plate of food and a mug of ale and sat down and began to chew on his bread.

Then a bang reverberated through the small building as a man slightly older than Alex sauntered in, and ordered some wine, cheese and bread. He began to boast loudly to anyone who would listen how he was certain to be the lady of Fort Charles' husband-to-be. Alex perked up hearing this. Was this guy talking about Maggie?

Bragging about how her father had set up an early meeting for them today, even though his previous appointment hadn't been for a week from now, and how this was obviously a sign of how important he was and... At that point Alex tuned him out. The pieces suddenly all fell into place. It wasn't that Maggie chose not to come... she couldn't come. Her father had setup things so she couldn't get away. Somehow he'd figured they'd meet today... maybe he had seen the letter... maybe Maggie hadn't see it at all.

No matter what the situation, the answer was clear... he'd have to try to get into Fort Charles again. But he knew that it would be much harder tonight. If her father had figured out that he had gotten in, he would be increasing the guards tonight... He needed to start planning now. He dipped his bread in his soup and began devouring it, forgoing the mead to ensure that his senses were at their keenest tonight. As soon as he finished his food he took off from the tavern back to his ship. Things needed to be prepared.

Maggie sat at dinner across the long table from her father. Her face was a cold stone, her back straight and rigid, her hands placed in her lap, clenched together tightly. On the inside she was screaming all kinds of profanities at her father, throwing the china against the wall, ripping the curtains from the walls, and running around insanely...but of course she could not actually do any of this.

Her father implored her to eat, but she wouldn't. She wouldn't even speak to him, her loathing for him was festering within her. When he had finished eating she pushed back her chair, stood up, and left the room, ignoring first his pleas for her to say, and then his orders. She went up to her room and let Ilsa undress her, though she ignored everything her once favorite handmaiden said to her. She knew it was Ilsa that'd betrayed her, it could be no one else.

She climbed into her bed in her nightgown, pulled the covers up over herself and blew out the candle. She sighed, stuffed her face into the pillow, for a moment hoping to smother herself.

The evening rolled around quickly... Alex had hoped for a little more time, but what he was able to come up with worked... he hoped. Shortly after midnight he coiled up two lengths of rope he had collected, he redressed himself in the black outfit he'd used to sneak in last time and began making his way up toward the Mansion.

Reaching the edge of the cliff that overlooked Charlestown, the wall built to the edge of the cliff, he crouched in the shadows. He pulled out a twenty foot rope and walked about five feet away from the cliffside. Placing the rope down on the ground, he pulled out a pike and stabbed it through the rope. Extending the rope to the cliff and over it's side, he impaled the rope with a few more spikes for additional security, before he lowered himself over the edge and slowly started walking backwards down about ten feet.

When he reached this level, he wrapped the rope around his left forearm, and pressing himself against the cliffside, he began to climb the soft rock side up and to the side, aiming for the other side of the wall. He almost slipped at one point when a rock came loose, falling away beneath him. Luckily the spikes held, and he didn't become gravity's plaything.

When he reach the lip of the cliff, he peeked over, thankful that there were no guards in sight... most likely they were mostly inside and on the walls. Large dark areas like the yard surrounding the manse were too hard to effectively patrol with so many places to hide. Good thing he had avoided the walls and didn't plan on going inside other than directly to Maggie's room.

Pulling himself up over the edge, he snuck over to underneath her balcony. Looking up he could see it's outline in the nearly moonless sky. His first thought when he got here was to use a grappling hook to pull himself up, but that would have made entirely too much noise, and such things he could ill afford. Instead he'd thought up of a much stealthier plan. Reaching into his belt pouch, he pulled out over forty feet of fishing wire, carefully coiled to allow it to be spooled out as needed, one end weighted down with a small iron ball. Where a grappling hook would make too much noise, the quiet clinks of metal on stone wouldn't attract too much attention.

Stepping back he began whirling the weight at the end of a three foot length of the fishing wire before giving it a good underhanded release and it went sailing up and over the railing on Maggie's balcony and landed with a quiet clink. Pulling the excess rope so the ball was hanging a few feet above the balcony and he released it, the iron orb bouncing a few times. Scowling he repeated the action, but got the same effect. He began to get nervous and tried again, this time it bounced once then suddenly the line was whirring as it was pulled up. Stepping back as the metal ball thudded into the ground from the twenty or so foot fall, the line looping around the rim of the railing.

First step done, he gave it an experimental tug, finding it secure. Fishing line was good because it was light weight and had high tensile strength, but it was far too thin for him to climb and would have left gouges of blood in his hand had he tried to climb it. But it was good for reeling things in... or pulling them up.

Smirking, he tied the end of the line to the start of the other longer piece of rope, this one around forty feet, and began to tug on the weighted end of the fishing line. Within moments the rope was pulled up and over the railing giving him a quiet way to enter the center building of Fort Charles. Next step in mind, he untied the fishing line from the end of the rope and stored it away. No sense leaving evidence for the Governor to find of his sneaky exploits.

Climbing quickly up toward Maggie's room, he pulled the rope up when he got up top, giving him a method of escape when the time came. Prowling over to the windowed door, he peeked inside and saw no one standing around, only a sleeping form in Maggie's bed. He hoped that it was she and not a decoy. He slowly opened the door, a quiet click as the door was closed behind him.

It had taken Maggie awhile to fall asleep. She'd tossed and turned, she'd gotten up to pace, she'd flung herself down on the bed and rolled, she stuffed her face into the pillow, underneath it, thrown them across the room, and retrieved them. It had taken her at least an hour to begin to drift off. When she finally did fall asleep though, she slept deeply.

She had another dream, though this one was much shorter and fragmented. Maggie dreamt that she was in a house in the English countryside (though the countryside was all of her own making, as she'd never been to England) pregnant and barefoot. There were other children running around screaming, but she was the only adult. She was moving around a nice kitchen cooking, it was stifling. She went to pull her hair back and found that it was thin and wirey now, not full and silky that it had been.

She awoke from the dream with a start, sitting up and putting her hands on top of her head. She groaned, that was the life she would have with Lord Paulingous. She dragged her hands down her face slowly, heaving a huge sigh. She flung herself back down against the bed and closed her eyes, never having noticed that her door was open and a man was standing there.

In the dim light cast from the stars he could clearly see the outline of Maggies face as she sat up from her sleep. He froze, not wanting to startle her into making too much noise and alerting the guards that were, no doubt, about. Creeping silently across her carpeted floor, he made his way next to where lay and took a moment to look at her as she rested with her eyes close. She was so beautiful it made his heart ache.

He pulled off his glove and slowly slid his hand over and placed a single finger on her lips. At the same time he placed his other finger at his lips and whispered, "Shhhh... try to be quiet, Maggie."

Her eyes flew open as she felt a finger against her lips. At first all she saw was a dark shape, but then she heard a voice. The voice. His voice. Alex's voice. "Alex?!" she whispered, terror in her voice. If he had been expecting her to be happy that he was there, he was dead wrong. She knew what happened to young people who snuck around, young people who had trysts...she wasn't improper like that. She was the governor's daughter.

She pushed his hand away and sat up again, pulling the covers around herself tightly so that he wouldn't see her improperly dressed. "What are you doing here!?" she hissed, her heart thudding almost uncontrolably. His mere presence nearly drove her out of her mind, and she needed to ignore that.

Back
Top Bottom