Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Orient Express OOC Thread

xavierrol

Old Dog, New Tricks
Supporter
Main Thread
Orient Express Character Profiles

Map of Europe 1936
1936 Wikipedia
What Happened in 1936
A History of the Orient Express

Schedule (for our purposes)

ArrivalApproximate Travel TimeArrival Time
Strasbourg, France​
4:3600:06 Thursday
Karlsruhe, Germany​
2:1803:54 Thursday
Stuttgart, Germany​
2:1806:12 Thursday
Munich, Germany​
4:3610:18 Thursday
Vienna, Austria​
11:3022:15 Thursday
Budapest, Hungary7:105:25 Friday
Belgrade, Yugoslavia13:0718:32 Friday
Constantinople, Turkey (Istanbul)24:0818:40 Saturday

Last edited:
Oh shoot, we’ve started? 😨 Sorry guys, I haven’t been feeling well the last couple days, I’ll write up a reply soon

I hope you are feeling better. You aren't so far behind if you want to have your character emerge from her sleeping compartment having already been on the train from Calais/London.

@Traveler @captain_bond @Vinaein @Shiva the Cat @MsBloom @Queen Trish

Please note some updates to the Character thread top post, there are some NPCs added that are available for some interaction if needed. @MsBloom has offered to play the females. If anyone else wants to play an NPC as a side character just let me know. NPCs shouldn't drive the story unless I have prompted them with an event, they mostly just react to the players.

Also I have updated the top post of the main thread to show the arrangement of carriages from engine to caboose. It seems that everyone is traveling first class so I'm thinking of just having one lounge and dinning car instead of 2 to simplify things. I originally thought there might be more class distinction, but it may just be an unnecessary complication. Any objections or other thoughts?

No objection here to any of the above. I will however suggest that to streamline things, we do not need to include a link to our character profile each and every IC post (but still should include locations and tags) except for the following circumstances:
-Their first IC post
-Their next post with their main character after playing an NPC, if applicable
-Any post with an NPC important enough to warrant a full profile

Did I leave anything out, @xavierrol?

@xavierrol Thank you for the train set up! I think that will help a lot in determining who we might run across as our characters meander through the train.

I am really enjoying the OOC friendliness and care I'm seeing in this group. It's so nice to have a Group RP where everyone is so supportive. :)

I will however suggest that to streamline things, we do not need to include a link to our character profile each and every IC post (but still should include locations and tags) except for the following circumstances:
I figured it was just cut and paste and would go pretty smoothly with fairly minimal effort. I would prefer keeping it up if you can as it makes it easier for me to revert back when keeping track of characters. But it isn't like a three strike rule or anything, just a courtesy. I'm trying to keep track of six characters most of whom also have a secret back story so it can be kind of confusing. I suppose if you are writing short back and forth bits, it is probably less of an issue.

@Traveler Once Leo finds out that Jane is actually not a prostitute but a semi-wealthy heiress might he perhaps put his moves on her, perhaps with more success than Mr Walsh had with his thoughtless phrasing.

Aww! I was hoping to pair up Charles with Jane! Damn lol. If I end up all the way to Istanbul the only "single" character, I'm gonna want a refund on my ticket, lol.

@MsBloom @captain_bond

Leo's observations do add a bit of fun to it, don't they? I love playing that character. I think there is a strong chance that there will be a lot of cross matches, threesomes, and flirtation on this journey. Nothing adds fun to a mystery like sexual tension and release!

And don't forget, we have @Queen Trish to look forward to meeting! Her character should be a lot of fun! :love:

My travel time scratch board. I want to be able to keep a pace for the story and the stations. So we are on a 4 and a half hour stretch, arriving next station around midnight.
I'm going to post first and last column to the top thread here for your reference, just sharing the math in case someone who knows Europe better than me wants to call BS.

So think about what sort of scene(s) would make sense between now and the next station.

Per Google Modern schedule about 11 hours
Vintage schedule show 26 hours Paris to Vienna
Doing some rough math gives arrival times in last column.

5 hours
GoogleOrient Express Hours:MinutesArrive
Paris to Strasbourg:​
2 hours4:3600:06 Thursday
Strasbourg to Karlsruhe​
1 hour + Border Crossing2:1802:24 Thursday
Karlsruhe to Stuttgart:​
1 hour2:1804:42 Thursday
Stuttgart to Munich:​
2 hours4:3609:18 Thursday
Munich to Vienna:​
5 hours + Border Crossing11:3022:15 Thursday
11 hours26 hoursmultiply by 2.3 roughly

This is AMAZING! I love maps, layouts, and schedules.

'Ahem...' So, do "sleeping" passengers have to be woken up for crossing the border and passports, or can they sleep through and not be bothered?

Tipperary
You're in America right? Well. Tipperary is a small town in Ireland made famous by a music hall song about an Irish worker in London missing his hometown which later became a popular marching song during WW I. The chorus goes: "It's a long way to Tipperary, it's a long way to go. It's a long way to Tipperary, to the sweetest girl I know."

I goosed the times a bit to allow for some dwell times at the stations, especially when mixed with a border crossing.

'Ahem...' So, do "sleeping" passengers have to be woken up for crossing the border and passports, or can they sleep through and not be bothered?
I'm going to say the Conductor gives a passenger manifest so they do not need to be disturbed, however if the country they are entering has an interest in someone in particular, they just might get a visit.

Back
Top Bottom