Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

To Hunt A Dragon - OOC

Metals like iron and steel are extraordinarily rare in this setting, unless you are a dwarf. So possessing even a few trinkets like @Shiva the Cat Eyota had mentioned is an exception to the norm. So seeing a blanket unfurled with all manner of steel weapons and even a few shields and chain shirts would be a jaw dropping experience to simply see that much metal at once. So yes there are weapons for everyone and even steel tipped arrows although the shafts and fetching are substandard.

@LeaT It's safe to say that the elves have some familiarity with metal and possess enough to meet the most basic of needs. While they don't have anywhere near the horde of metal that the dwarves have they do have rarer metals like mithril in small amounts. The problem for the elves is that they simply don't have a source of ore that can be mined and refined.

@BennyQ @Shiva the Cat Tool, equipment, and weapon upgrades are available, just not readily at this juncture. The concept I had envisioned was for this adventure to be the stepping stone towards a unity of the people and the races of the south which in turn would open up quite a wealth of opportunities. Such things take time and while these changes won't happen overnight the group at large will more than likely reap the benefits before most are even aware of the fact that things are changing and alliances being forged.

On a different note if history is something that interests your character there are rumors of a fabled city in the desert called Crescent. It's said that some dark force rose up against the city some five hundred years ago and that the city itself and all of its vast riches now lay buried beneath the sands of the great desert.

Also on the topic of orcs, as @LeaT had asked, they're begrudgingly accepted by the human tribes of the south. Much like the humans, the orcs of the south are less bloodthirsty than their kin to north where both races are viewed as savage berserkers more than they are considered to be proper barbarians.

@BennyQ @Shiva the Cat Tool, equipment, and weapon upgrades are available, just not readily at this juncture. The concept I had envisioned was for this adventure to be the stepping stone towards a unity of the people and the races of the south which in turn would open up quite a wealth of opportunities. Such things take time and while these changes won't happen overnight the group at large will more than likely reap the benefits before most are even aware of the fact that things are changing and alliances being forged.

On a different note if history is something that interests your character there are rumors of a fabled city in the desert called Crescent. It's said that some dark force rose up against the city some five hundred years ago and that the city itself and all of its vast riches now lay buried beneath the sands of the great desert.

Sounds good to me on the weapon upgrades stuff. Still a long way to go and probably best indeed to cross that bridge when we get to it!

And I went ahead and threw in a Crescent reference in my post. Hope it fits the mood and theme of what you were going for.

Also on the topic of orcs, as @LeaT had asked, they're begrudgingly accepted by the human tribes of the south. Much like the humans, the orcs of the south are less bloodthirsty than their kin to north where both races are viewed as savage berserkers more than they are considered to be proper barbarians.
Gall, on the other hand, would say that the Aruch of the north are more resistant to the Melken invasions of their ancestral hunting lands. The Aruch of the south, by contrast, are outnumbered and can only eke out a living by not provoking the Melken into increasing violence against the clans that survived their coming.

Also, I’ve been assuming that the Aruch generally look at elves and dwarves as terrifying spirits of forest and mountain - much like the Sidhe or Alfar. They don’t hate them so much as fear them, and they tell tales of the horrific revenges the Gentle Folk mete out for slights and insults.

Also, in terms of weapon upgrades, I vote we go all REH on this. First we have to kill this legendary serpent whose bite can kill a mammoth with a single scratch, so we can harvest the venom. Having accomplished this impossible feat, then we have to venture to a distant volcanoes to gather the glossy black stone that the demons of smokeless flame guard. Having accomplished this impossible feat, then the Elf leads us through the shadowy Otherwirld where her kind dwell, so that we may travel a dozen leagues in a single night. Then, having survived this impossible feat, we sing our funeral songs and paint ourselves like the dead so that none need mourn us further as we hunt the dragon.

Something like that.

Also, in terms of weapon upgrades, I vote we go all REH on this. First we have to kill this legendary serpent whose bite can kill a mammoth with a single scratch, so we can harvest the venom. Having accomplished this impossible feat, then we have to venture to a distant volcanoes to gather the glossy black stone that the demons of smokeless flame guard. Having accomplished this impossible feat, then the Elf leads us through the shadowy Otherwirld where her kind dwell, so that we may travel a dozen leagues in a single night. Then, having survived this impossible feat, we sing our funeral songs and paint ourselves like the dead so that none need mourn us further as we hunt the dragon.

That is precisely the way I intend do any sort of major enchantments. One of the things I loathed about some of the later iterations of DnD were how simplified the process to craft magic items had become. I've always thought, or at least felt that crafting a magic item would be something that a wizard generally would be hesitant to undertake. So yes, expect to have an agenda of tasks to complete to acquire whatever unique ingredients may be needed to enhance an item with magic. Also, since wizards are nearly non-existent or at least the players don't know of any at this point, well its another bridge to be crossed at a later time. In closing, magic exists, and its more likely to be found or discovered while adventuring than it is to forged through magic.

Also, @BennyQ That was perfect for Crescent, it's a place that only some of the oldest elves would have knowledge about so comments in general about Crescent are typical vague fables and tales of riches buried in the sands.

Having a bit of trouble replying due to some IRL happenings, I will have a post up by tonight, most likely.

I am also open to the idea of the group's first real goal being the search of a suitable material to build gear suited to taking the Dragon out.

Edit: didn't notice there were more messages, everything seems reasonable. I'm eager about witnessing us to explore Crescent should the chance arise to do so.

@Black_Out Question : may I make a second, briefer post to react to the elderly woman giving Gostîm the plant pods? If not, I will simply edit it in my latest one.

@BlooBlanket I'm not sure what looks Iseldra was casting towards the dwarf. I only recall giving the half-orc a look when she discussed hunting. Orcs would be the only creatures she had ever killed with her bow. She does not hunt for sport or food, her bow is a weapon to fight enemies, not a tool for gathering food. She is mostly vegetarian.

I suppose we can put it down as miscommunication, but maybe I missed something I wrote earlier.

Oh, it was more aimed at the way she looked to the various champions at the beginning! Gostim tends to assume a lot of things so he would likely interpret it as there being some animosity towards his kind rather than curiosity at the prospect of such a large gathering. That said, I can retcon it if you'd like!

No, if that is how it is meant, I can work with it. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a reaction to something she had directed towards him specifically, that maybe I missed or forgot.

Oh, not at all! I'm actually interested in her as a character already. I'll be paying more attention from now on. :)

@BlooBlanket Yep! You sure can. You and anyone else for that matter are welcome to elaborate further on those exchanges. Maybe better to just edit it into your post and tag me though.

Yeah, I'll do just that then, it looks like I will have plenty of interactions to make up for the delay in my reply anyways.

Hope everyone is having a good time. Going to try and post today or tomorrow!

Whew, finally got around to posting. Not sure who's driving the trader dwarves, but I will be very heartbroken if they find no use for Eyota's hard-earned garbage handcrafted all-natural home products.

Got a busy week ahead of me so my availability will no doubt me minimal. That said if I can find time to drop a post I certainly will. If not though feel free to carry on without me since a lot of what's going on right now is your characters meeting each other.

I'm gonna join the club and say I also will probably not be around until the 10th or 11th. Gotta get through a shit ton of work stuff before I go on vacation next week. 😅

I may be busy as well, especially next week, but I will try making some time for a post or two should the chance arise!

Things should be returning to normal here soon. Thanks for your patience everyone.

Looking to post sometime soon, but I figured I'd wait a day or two so others can have a chance to chime in with a reply.

Back
Top Bottom