Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

An apocalyptic romance Alisa X Kira

"You are still half-human, dear and you clearly do not truly know elves, they may show this high and mightly love, but they are perfectly capable of lust, and if your mother told you differently, it was but a fantasy. So clear your head, and empty your heart of thoughts of me, we have a world to save and what you are trying to do here is selfish. What we are doing is bigger than the love of a half-elf, I hope you are smart enough to see that. Now I know if you take this back to the group it will not be pretty, so I want you to tell them that there is nothing here other than a healthy, physical attraction. I'll be damned if I let this winter continue because you are too soft for the truth" she sounded like she was scolding her now, speaking elvish.

A tear ran down her cheek, and she gritted her jaw in determination. "Yes, I understand." she said as if just going through the motions. I will show her I love her, I will show her it is real, even if it is with my dying breath, she will know that what I feel is real, and in time, I hope she will feel the same way I do.

"Now, chipper up, put a smile on, and let's return to the fire before you freeze," she told her casting prestidigitation to clean her up from proof of the tears.

"O-o-okay." she said, jaw still quivering, "I love you." she whispered, so Ethel would not hear as she followed her back to the fire.

"Everything alright?" Modok asked as sheldon and M continued to touch their fingers together and giggle, "Alright you two, thats enough, I think Sonia has been embarrassed enough for tonight."

"Sorry boss." They both said in unison.

"Now, Sonia, is everything alright?" Modok asked.

"I just realized that its not really love is all, Ethel straightened me out." She said.

Modok tightened his jaw and looked at Ethel with concern, almost as if asking her. Why? Without saying it.

Sonia tended the fire and made eye contact with no one for quite some time.

Ethel took a breath, that wasn't exactly what she had hoped for, and now she knew that Modok wanted to talk with her. She tilted her head as to tell Modok to talk with her off to the side. She then got up and walked off again.

Modok followed. "Why would you break her heart?" he asked, "I get it, shes a little crazy, a bit bold and she probably jumped in heart, err, head first and a woman like you probably has other things on her mind, but hear me out, she grew up during this apocalypse, as you did, and so did I, difference is I'm a bloody orc, I care more about battle and comradery than love. Shes a half elf, and she sometimes doesn't know what half to listen to, but it is in the right place, she knows what love is, even though she ain't always sure if its appropriate. Promise me you won't harden your heart entirely like everyone else here. Out of all of us, she's the only one who still believes in love. Sheldon is coming upon two hundred, he lost his wife in the first battle against the wizards, now when we go to town he fucks his way through every prostitute we can find. Margaret? Shes a cleric, took a vow of celibacy. M? He's too dumb to know what love is so he sort of just follows Sheldon around." He put a hand on her shoulder, "Let her in sometime, if you want, the rest of this world is cold and hard, and their hearts turned to stone, as cold as this damned eternal winter, but in her heart you will find warmth more than anywhere else." Modok said this like a father, tear running down his cheek.

Thel took a breath
"She is seventy years old, I know, I know, for an elf that is young, but she is just as human as she is an elf, and that age for humans is a lifetime. And I know you want the best for her, and for her to be happy. Though just because she likes me, doesn't mean I am good for her, You all including Sonia don't even know me, we met less than 48 hours ago, you are a smart man, how can you possibly say that she is truly in love with me?" She asked placing her hands on her hips.

"You can't see it in her eyes?" he said, "The way she looks at you, its not like Sheldon looking at a prostitute with wanton lust in his eyes, she looks at you with love even, next time you sit next to her, look at her eyes. You know the elves, I am willing to bet you met more than one on several occasions, you know how emotional those creatures can be, they say half elf, but I've seen Sonia fight for a brother and a friend, she's more elf than human, and she's got more heart than the rest of us combined, look at her next time she looks at you, then I dare you to tell me that isn't love in her eyes."

Ethel placed a hand to her head and then pinched her nose.
"Yeah, yeah I know. But that doesn't mean it's good for her, listen, let's give a hypothetical okay? We are on a journey to save the world, odds are we aren't all going to make it, and obviously, you guys know that by this point. I am most likely going to be the next in a long line of victims. So what is going to be better in her heart, stopping this before she gets even more attached, or let her fall even more for me and then have to watch me die? And even if we save the world and go on. I am human, I have 40 years left tops, she has what, six? seven hundred? Would it not be better to spare her now rather than grow more attached and have to see me die later?" she asked.

"She would die before she let you die for her." Modok said pointedly, "Fine, hypothetical okay." he put a hand on her shoulder and looked her in the eyes, "At least you are willing to try." he smiled. "That's as much as this old orc can ask for."

"Yeah well, unfortunately for her I won't let anyone die for me, and I don't lose that argument." She retorted.
"Wait what? n-no you misunderstand, I can't return what she wants, all she is going to do by pushing after me like that is hurt herself more. Now I want to help all of you stop this winter, but if she is busy making goo goo eyes at me she not only is endangering the mission but her own and all of your lives. Let's say she has the opportunity to end all this, but I die or save me, what do you think she would do?" She asked.

"She would die for you." Modok said again, "Don't you worry about distracting her, that will not happen, I assure you." He said and walked away, letting his words hang as he returned to the others.

"M had to stir soup, or burn." The giant said.

"Thank you M." Modok said.

"Methinks soup need more salt." M said licking his lips.

"Yes M." he said as he reached into a pouch, put some salt, and herbs in the soup then stirred it a few times.

Ethel rubbed the back of her head, thinking for a moment before getting an idea and going to sit beside the cleric.
"Hey so you have been pretty quiet this whole time," she said looking at her.

"Yes, I have." she said with her kind velvet voice, "Why do you ask child?" she put her hand on Ethel's thigh, resting it gently, like a mother would to their daughter, "Something troubling you?"

Ethel smiled looking up at her.
"What do you think of the sudden and extreme.... feelings Sonia has developed for me. You seem a lot more, logical than the others, so thought I would get your opinion on the matter" She asked.
"I know I am no good for her, but clearly the rest of your merry band disagree"

"You may not like what I have to say then Ethel." she said with a smile, "I know what is in peoples hearts, I am a cleric, it is my job to see all intentions, good and bad. I look at Sonia and I know she is in love with you. You want her to prove it?" Margaret asked, "Have her put on this amulet." she held out the amulet that nullified all magick on a user and have her follow us into the woods, she will willingly be subjected to my truth spell and with this amulet her natural elvish immunity would be nullified, then you can ask her for yourself, and she will not lie."

Ethel shook her head.
"that's not what I am asking, I realize you are all probably right, and at the very least she believes she loves me. What I am asking, is if that is what is really best for her. And for your mission"

"When one has love in their heart, one is capable of great things. I myself carry love in my heart for my god at all times, and I am capable of great things, incredible feats, love is a driving force, it is all around us, and if we let it into our hearts, we are sure to triumph. I think that if you let her into your heart you will find the same. I see the bounce in her step when she is happy, its because of you, she has never been so jovial, in the entire time I have met her. Trust me when I say I see nothing but pure intentions in her heart and what she has is not a distraction, it is a driving force. You are the reason she breathes." Margaret said and gave Ethel a gentle pat on the thigh.

"damn, should have expected as much from a cleric. Well, looks like I don't really have any other options." Ethel took a breath and stood up.
"Thanks, you have given me some clarity on how to handle this whole situation," she told her before walking off.

Ethel moved to a small patch of snow by the tents but not in any of them and started to do something to the ground.

Sonia continued to laugh and be merry with her companions, the heartbreak long behind her, Sheldon had even started cracking jokes, he told one about a prostitute he had been with the last line being, "She said I didn't know dwarves were hairy from head to toe, and I said, I didn't know there were female gnomes!" everyone burst into laughter.

"Sheldon, tell one about elf girl who never been with dwarf before." M said.

"Oh you mean the one who thought I was too small? I told her the same!" Sheldon replied, again, roaring laughter.

Ethel stayed away from the group as they joked and laughed, having finished her arcane circle, the snow in and slightly around the circle melting as the air in that area warmed.
Ethel starting to meditate.

"Hey guys?" Sonia said, "Where is Ethel?" She stood up, looking around, "Ethel? Where did you go? The food will be ready soon and nightfall is coming, it will be cold."

"Ethel?" Modok called.

"Effel?" M said.

"No, you idjet, eth ellll." Sheldon said.

"Etheeellll." M said.

"Bah, yer useless, just ethel not ethelllll." Sheldon replied.

"But you said-" M started to reply but Sheldon interjected, "Bah, I know what I said, forget about it, we got someone missin and its gettin dark, gotta find em."

Ethel was interrupted from her meditation by the others calling her name.
"Ugh, son of a..." She mumbled standing up.
"Yes hello over here, I'm fine" She waved from by the tents then sat back down to return to her meditation.

Back
Top Bottom