Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Lost in Space OOC

So basically a double cabin and 3+1 single ones (including the pilot's). Then there is the extra bed in medical bay, and the whole garage space if the Chariot parks outside...

That would mean that unless someone really wanted out, or if someone was outed from all Jupiters, nobody has to get outside quarters - until the first babies are born, at least.

Cabins look really small to me so while they don't 'need' to expand, I could see many of them wanting to do so. The Jupiters would have the benefit of being pretty secure as well until they know what sort of predators may or may not exist. While I don't want to play canon, I think the layouts are too convenient to dismiss and can help us 'play house' a bit in our story.

I am going to add the below on IC COMMUNICATION to the top post here for future reference. Let me know if you think it needs tweaked but I think we just need a baseline, shouldn't be all that controversial.
  • Jupiters have a strong enough signal to communicate with each other (basically an internet between the ships). There is no one off-moon to talk to.
  • Phones, tablets, mobile computers can talk to the Jupiters more or less like WiFi today, fairly short range.
  • There is no infrastructure for longer range mobile devices so once out of sight of the jupiters, there is no modern communication system.

Can't we use the Micro Satellites? Even if not putting them up in orbit, there is a possibility of carrying them up to a higher point with sight to at least one of the Jupiters... But I would leave the idea to the more mechanically or physically inclined. With enough Satellites, we really could spread the coverage.

I agree with Lea on the communications limitations. Getting setup on this new world and facing those technical challenges are important (I think) for giving meat to the non-intimate parts of the roleplay. I imagine Allen’s electrical/mechanical skillset will be relevant for tackling some of those challenges.

I'm certainly open to them 'building' more and can update as we go. I'm just thinking this is what they have now. I would think most of the ready made infrastructure for the colony would have been on the Resolute not on the individual family Jupiters so it would take some creativity and energy to make it.

• Jupiters have a strong enough signal to communicate with each other (basically an internet between the ships). There is no one off-moon to talk to.
  • Phones, tablets, mobile computers can talk to the Jupiters more or less like WiFi today, fairly short range.
  • There is no infrastructure for longer range mobile devices so once out of sight of the jupiters, there is no modern communication system.

What about radio?
Communication through radio waves might be ancient as fuck but we still use it today for a lot of communication, especially in areas with low internet and phone coverage.
I can see the Chariots having radio as well as the Jupiters so the two can communicate with each other.

As for the housing Joan had intended to mention that at the meeting (for most of the reasons listed by @ChrisGabriel (The shag shacks as I called them would only be the beginning of the construction project) but then the meeting took the turn it took.

I'm with you on the chariots but most mobile radios like police and fire use require fairly substantial towers and repeater systems.

The Deck layouts are in the top post of this thread (OOC). That is where I am trying to keep most of the guidelines for the RP. I'm hoping that is working for people.

Radio is not enough for the high data sharing that the other systems would be good for. But I do not see why not mere voice radio could not work at least from chariots and ships to the other chariots and ships as long as the moon's geography does not cover line of sight. At least up to two miles to the nearest one... Because further it does require them being higher or really powerful. 2-Way Radio Range: How Far Can Two-Way Radios Communicate

But maybe the tech savy characters have to create some older style communication devices for them to have radios or walkie-talkies.

Radio is not enough for the high data sharing that the other systems would be good for.
Nope but it is more than enough for verbal communication for when they go off exploring their surroundings. And for long range radio communication all you really need is a tall mast and an amplifier, (and in the long run a network of such), all of which would be fairly simple for an electrical engineer to put together, or a versatile tinkerer.

By 1912, commercial and military ships carried both transmitters and receivers, allowing two-way communication in close to real-time with a ship that was out of sight of land. And I am assuming our story takes place quite some time later, at least a century, century and a half. Have we even set a year or decade when this story takes place yet.

So you are suggesting all people are in contact with everyone at all times? I guess without getting into all the technical stuff. I'm thinking if the kids, or anyone else, wanders off, you can't just text them. Not sure if they would have a bunch of walkie talkie type radios but maybe. This is probably more about setting than technology. I'm not heavily vested in this part of it but I think it is fun for people to occasionally get lost and out of contact.

Radios do transmit and receive on different frequencies, each Chariot would have its own frequency and so would each Jupiter, a bit of tuning and each of the Chariots would be able to communicate with each other the Jupiters as well as with each other. I'm not really suggesting walkie talkies as such.

I think you are much more into this detail than I am. If you want to write it up, I'll put it in the top post. It just seemed like a point that should be understood as to when people are in or out of communication with others.

My point was that with the limitations you've put up there is no way for a Chariot that goes off on a long range exploratory mission to communicate and check in with the colony which simply doesn't make sense in the context that that is one of the things the survivors must do, and relatively soon.

How about 5 miles without a tower, 12 with? Or suggest other numbers and we can leave it at that.

Even in space there are helicopter parents! Poor kids.

I find it interesting no one has suggested any kind of chastity devices...for the guys of course!

Yeah! Damn kids might go and get each other pregnant if we don’t watch out!

Oh wait.

It could also be a fun way to make sure no one breed with anyone they're not supposed to breed with. Each guy gets a chastity device and each female gets the key to their assigned partner's device. That way none of the males can breed with any female other than the one who holds the key and no female can breed with any male to whose chastity device they don't hold the key.

:D

“Cock and ball torture but in space” 😂

I knew this rp was too good to be true!

Back
Top Bottom