Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Gurenge (1x1 w/DarkMudkip)

It didn’t take long before the wind started to pick up, and snow could clearly be seen covering the surrounding trees, and in the distance a blizzard. It was far from the time of year for snow, so there was no mistaking what he was seeing. This wasn’t a natural occurrence, but a form of Amaya’s.

Even protected by his shadows, It was almost painfully cold, so much so that frost formed over his clothes- this was certainly Amaya. He must’ve traveled no less than a mile before he broke out of the storm and just onto the outskirts of the town, where a light snow was falling. Most people were inside, a warm glow coming from most houses, but a few people milled about outside, bundled up tightly.

“Um..” Sasuke heard the voice of an elderly man just beside him, a small old man bundled up to his nose in winter clothes standing there staring up at Sasuke. “You’re one of them, aren’t you..?” He asked, holding a cane in one hand. “One of the slayers?”

“The other one said that there would be more coming, but I didn’t think it would be so soon.” He turned a bit, motioning to the far edge of the town, a single building standing in solitary, ice covering the walls and roof. “She said to send anyone who came there, but that the rest of us should stay away.”

So soon? Was Amaya not expecting them to find her? He nodded to the old man and moved to the building. Should he just walk in? Should he knock? He didn't really know.

“I thought I told everyone to stay away from this building.” Amaya’s harsh tone came from behind the door, her ragged breathing clear even over the wind howling in Sasuke’s ears.

The winds outside faltered, and within the worn house Sasuke heard a thud, like something had fallen. The scraping of a blade on the wooden floor could be heard as well. “What took you so long..?” She sounded exhausted now, voice straining with effort.

Amaya herself was bundled up in winter clothes, ones probably provided by those in the village, sword clenched tightly in her hands. She looked horrible, pale skin and blue lips, ice and frost covering everything within the house. “Don’t think I’ll be dying before you..” She muttered. “Just taking a small break is all..” It was clear she was beyond her limit.

"Yeah, you definitely need a break." He stated as he moved over to her, trying to help her stand, "How long have you been keeping this up?"

“A few weeks? Maybe a little longer..” She reached out and took his hand, her fingers cold as ice and blue as well.

A flash of fear went through Amaya’s eyes, and she pressed her lips into a thin line. “They’re having the humans burn it all.”

“What else could I do?” She asked with a frown, rubbing her arms for warmth. “I haven’t seen anyone else for months, I have no way to contact anyone.. and most of the nearby wisteria are out of season or burned to the ground.”

“Ah.. Sorry, I think you’ll have to count me out for a bit..” Amaya said, forcing a smile, then tipping to the side and collapsing to the ground hard, face flushed hot with fever and her breathing shallow and ragged.

"Oh, dammit." He huffed and picked her up, taking her to her bed and laying her down before getting a bucket of water with some snow in it to make it cold. He dipped a rag in it and put it over her forehead, wanting to bring her fever down.

Amaya looked like she had run herself ragged and then kept going, and outside he could hear the winds slowly starting to die down, no longer awake to keep her technique going.

"Good grief." He muttered, "Guess I gotta do all the work now. Take it easy, alright?" He stood up and moved outside, keeping his sword close.

Shouta had been traveling with Mitsunari since the collapse of the Slayer Corps, learning what he could from the Hashira while training and simultaneously fighting off demons to survive. The white-haired boy was only eighteen, barely a man and still having to fight a war.

Back
Top Bottom