Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Gurenge (1x1 w/DarkMudkip)

Jikkah

Cluster
Yukimura had been hunting since the sun went down, taking only a bow and his blade into the woods with him. The prey in this area had been no good either, no boar or deer, only pheasants and rabbits. Even so, he was still able to snag three birds and a rabbit, enough for him and his fellow pillar. As he trekked back to the small cave they had made their home, he watched the sun rise over the mountains. Moving aside the brush covered planks, he moved back into the cave, setting the bow aside before closing up the hidden entrance once more. Dried wisteria flowers hung at the entrance, almost like a curtain to protect themselves from demons entering the cave if the entrance was ever found. “Akihime-dono!” He called out. “I’ve brought breakfast!”

Megohime woke up early every morning, her mother rousing her from her bed and forcing her to bathe before being dressed up, face painted, and hair done with many different hairpins and ornaments. She almost felt like an oiran, only her parents didn’t sell her body, they were selling her curse. She had been born with the ability to see the future, to speak its truths, and only with the payment of someone’s blood. Once her parents had figured out her ability, they sought to profit from it, but all it did was taint her reputation. She was labeled a demon, a vampire, a monster who preyed on humans and seduced her parents to do her bidding; if only they knew.

Akihime was half awake, her caramel colored hair not done neatly yet. She smiled softly at his approach.
"I can't wait, I'm so hungry.."

"No more lying." Her mother hissed out, "You've been giving out rotten tellings and people are growing angry."

Yukimura smiled tiredly as he moved to the small makeshift kitchen they had made so they didn’t have to cook outside. “Sadly it’s still too early to find any berries or nuts, so just meat for today..” He said, setting out the birds and rabbit so he could clean and prepare them. “I’ve been keeping an eye out for any wild vegetables, but no luck there either.”

Megohime avoided looking at her mother, garnet red eyes glaring at the floor. “I’ve just been tired.. my readings just haven’t been accurate is all..” She muttered, a complete lie. Even when she was deathly ill, her readings were deadly accurate. She never got any reading wrong. She was miserable with her life, unable to walk around the town they lived in, residing in a home bought with the money made from her abilities. She wasn’t allowed outside alone, and even then, it wasn’t worth being glared at the entire time.

She hid a yawn behind her hand, "That's alright...we can find some later.." She said, "I can do the hunting too, you know...you don't have to push yourself so early.."

"Tired or not, we're tired of giving customers their money back." She hissed.

Yukimura tied his long shaggy hair back so it was out of the way while he cooked. “I don’t mind, if I don’t get up early, I’ll only sleep until noon comes around.” He said with a small smile. “It keeps me focused.”

Megohime gave a nod, barely listening to what her mother said to her this time. “Sorry, I’ll do better..” She said softly.

She smiled softly. He was so cute. "Of course. You and I are rather different, I suppose. I love nothing more than to sleep in."

"Good. Now, go. You have customers." She stated firmly.

“Make sure you don’t sleep too much, it’s bad for your health.” He said, only concern in his tone as he started the fire to start grilling the freshly cleaned pheasant and rabbit.

“You’re right about that.” He said with a chuckle, staring quietly at the fire for a moment before speaking up again. “Any luck tracking down other pillars?” He asked softly.

Yukimura looked over his shoulder with a smile. “Don’t worry, we’ll find them.” He said, his usual upbeat demeanor back. “There’s no way they’ve lost to some demons.”

Yukimura set the meat in a dinged up pan to fry it, chuckling and nodding in agreement. “That’s true, I believe in our fellow pillars.” He said, moving to sit beside Akihime as the food cooked.

She rested her head against his shoulder, moving to gently hold his hand. The massive influx of demons breaking apart the pillars ironically pushed the pair together romantically. She couldn't see herself in a world without him. "Sasuke is much too boneheaded, however..." She teased gently.

Yukimura clasped her hand gently in his, resting his head against hers. “Be careful, he could just be listening from the shadows, pretending to still be missing.” He teased softly. He himself had never imagined becoming romantically involved, but Akihime was the only shred of humanity he had left to hold onto, and he wasn’t going to let her slip away.

“The last time he did that, I nearly had a heart attack.” He remembered when the other pillar had been especially in a jovial mood and had been playing pranks on the other pillars all week.

Akihime laughed softly, playing with Yukimura's fingers gently, "Sasuke has always been such a prankster. Amaya almost knocked his teeth out once."

Yukimura laughed at the memory, the other girl had been so mad when Sasuke had popped out of shadows while she was eating, making her spill a good portion of her food on the floor. After that she had proceeded to knock him around the room like a rag doll. That had been nearly five years ago though, and they were much older now, no longer children. “We’ll find her too.”

Tears began to burn her eyes and she wiped them away furiously. She and Amaya were such close friends, and when they had all been scattered, Akihime had feared the worst. What if she would never be found? What if she was dead? What if she was turned into a demon? She held Yukimura's hand tightly, "H-Hai..."

Yukimura carefully wiped her tears away with his thumb, gently turning her head so he could look at her. “We’ll get through this, not matter what, no matter how long it takes.. We’ll bring them all home.” He promised, leaning in and kissing her softly.

She took comfort in that, in his words and his gentleness. She kissed back and held it for a moment before pulling away, "Of course...you're right, you're always right." She said softly, "Thank you, Yukimura...I love you..."

“I love you too, Akihime..” He said softly, then tensed when he smelled burning, quickly getting up and moving back to the almost forgotten meat. “Breakfast!” Luckily, it wasn’t badly burnt, and most of it could be salvaged.

She laughed loudly, of course they forgot. Thankfully, she became rather used to the taste of char.

Megohime was entertaining not as many customers this time around. Seemed as though her reputation finally crept up on her. This would mean more beatings, she could feel it. As she sat waiting, two men approached her, one sitting across from her while the other remained standing. The one who sat was dressed rather well, his eyes hidden by a veil. How odd for someone so young. Perhaps he was sickly or blind. The man standing was older, grey hairs streaking his faded brown hair. He bowed gently to Megohime out of respect.
"We have come seeking your gift and we are willing to pay handsomely." He said.

Megohime didn’t know who to look to, clearly the one sitting before her was the client, but the man standing was the one doing the talking. Maybe he was some kind of aristocrat that didn’t want his identity known and spoke through his retainer? She had been visited more and more by such people, so she wasn’t surprised. Nodding, she carefully pushed forward a small tray, on which was a knife and a simple porcelain cup. “If you wish to have your future told, I’ll need some of your blood.” She decided to just speak with the man sitting before her, even if he didn’t speak back.

Back
Top Bottom