Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Gurenge (1x1 w/DarkMudkip)

Mori sent another blast from the bright light that seemed to engulf and radiate from his head, deflecting his attack before it reached him. “Shut your mouth, cur! I’m don’t with speaking to you!”

Mitsunari dodged narrowly and ruehed at him again.
"What did you do...?! Wh-What did you do...to Otou-san...?!" Akihime demanded, her hand shaking as she held her blade.

Mitsunari felt air rush passed him, and Mori was no longer in front of him.
“Exactly what I’m going to do to you.”
Mori’s voice hissed in her ear, Shouta’s hair standing on end as the bloodlust hit him hard.
“Otani!”

Tears slipped from Akihime's shut eyes and she let out a breath. This was her chance and she had to take it now. "Poison Breathing Third Form," She moved her blade upward lightning fast, she didn't have any of her poisons on her so she had to use the next best thing; she cut open her palm on her blade on the way up, coating it from hilt to tip in her blood, before jamming it straight through his head under his chin, "Striking Mamushi."

She heard a sickening crack as her blade went straight through Mori’s head, a wet gurgling sound coming from him before the weight of her sword increased as he slumped forward. The blinding light in the room slowly started to fade, Mori on his knees at Akihime’s feet.

She pulled her blade from his head before decapitating him, and then cutting off whatever she could as he crumpled into dust, tears pouring down her cheeks in her rage.

She was only cutting the wooden floor were Mori had turned to dust at this point, and Shouta didn’t know if it was better to let her continue, or to try and stop her. He held Akihime up, figuring she would tire herself out and stop when she was ready.
Yukimura’s eyes still watered painfully, wiping at the tears as he listened to Akihime swing and hit the floor again and again, saying nothing. He knew her anger, her frustration.

"I-I can't..." She wheezed, "I-I can't...kill Otou-san..." It all made sense now, why the house was always so dark and why Yoshitsugu was always so sick. It broke her heart and made her cry harder before she started coughing up blood.
"Akihime!"
"I-I...I'm fine...! J-Just...just the poison...fighting his blood..."

Shouta finally set Akihime down, carefully lowering her into a sitting position before retrieving the water pitcher for her to drink.
Yukimura scowled deeply and gripped his blade tightly, looking away from Akihime. “Let me.” He said softly, not wanting to make either sibling kill their parent.

"Y-Yukimura..." Akihime looked up weakly, she looked so frail, a far cry to the strong woman he knew, "Please don't let him suffer...I'm begging you..."

Yukimura could barely stand to see Akihime in such a state, nodding. “I promise, I won’t.” He said, then headed for the door. He would ensure Yoshitsugu didn’t feel a thing, a last kindness for a man so important to Akihime.

He was in his room still, upright and staring at his lap; he seemed to be thinking, his gaze distant. When Yukimura came in, he looked up and smiled; as if the chaos from across the estate hadn't reached his ears.
"Ah, Yukimura...what are you doing up so late...? How is Akihime, is she doing better...?"

Yukimura was frowning as he entered the room, closing the door gently behind him, sword in hand. “She’s still managing.. But she should be improving soon.” He said, moving over and crouching down beside him.

Yukimura studied his face, the faint scent of a demon clearly present in the room. “Otani-dono..” He said softly, lowering his gaze, still holding his blade firmly.

He glanced at the blade before looking up at Yukimura, not really knowing what to say or ask. "Ah..." He finally said, "Perhaps she wanted my suffering for my illness to end...? What a kind child..."

Yukimura didn’t know if it was better to tell him the truth or allow him peace of mind. “She... Akihime loves you very deeply.” He said softly. “I can tell that seeing you again has made her happy.”

"Seeing her has really eased my old heart...I had feared for the both of them when they left home to become Slayers, my only children going off to change the world..." He closed his eyes gently, "but I can see the both of them have become very strong, and have found a purpose in their lives and it does my heart good...I only ever wanted what was best for them.."

He heard Yukimura stand, heard the soft click of his blade as he held it tightly in hand. “Akihime and Mitsunari, they both love you very much.” He said, raising the blade over Yoshitsugu’s head.

"Wait..." He said softly, "I just want you to know that if you do take her as your wife, you have my blessing...and thank you for trying to make my death as easy on her as possible. I knew something was wrong when my illness miraculously started to get better...and I knew that when you all appeared that I had started to become the thing you all swore to kill. I knew it would destroy her to claim my life, so you have my sincerest gratitude, Sanada Yukimura."

“Thank you very much, Otani-dono, your words mean more to me than you can understand.” He said, feeling like he too would shed tears, but he had to hold it together, he couldn’t let himself show weakness now, he needed to be strong for Akihime.
Yukimura swung his blade down, taking off Yoshitsugu’s head in a single clean motion, piercing his severed head before it touched the ground to ensure he would not suffer long, and just like Mori before him, Yoshitsugu’s body slowly started to crumble and turn to dust.

It was so eerily quiet after, the blankets of his futon sinking slighting once his body disappeared. There was nothing left for them here now, and it would be time to move on.

Yukimura stood in the room for a long time, finding himself unable to muster up the desire to move from his spot, staring up at the ceiling and just listening to the deafening silence.

Yukimura hadn’t even heard him approach the door, wiping the tears from his eyes before sheathing his blade. “It’s done.” He said softly, almost like he hadn’t wanted to say it, confirming it true.

Back
Top Bottom