Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Colder than the Snow ((me and Houdini))

As they pressed on, he led her away from the wooded trail, through the thick woods."We're less than a mile from the border now. We can't stay on the path. There might be a sentry there." As they continued, they came to a metal fence. About six feet high, it could be climbed. "Well, this is it." He flung his pack over the top. Although Senka was capable, she was shorter than him. "Do you want to go first, in case you need a boost?"

Senka nodded and followed him off the path to the metal fence. She chucked her own pack over and she said "yeah, I will". With his help she climbed up the fence before jumping down off the fence at the top, bending her knees before she landed to break her fall.

Josef followed her over the fence, jumping up and grabbing the top with his boot in one leap, pulling his other foot up and over and leaping down, bending his knees as well upon landing. "Shh, what is that?" he asked, pushing down on her back and crouching down next to her. In the distance, there appeared to be some faint yelling in German. He couldn't make out the words. There were usually border guards at least once every mile, so he knew they wouldn't be too far from danger no matter where they crossed.

Senka heard the yelling and she furrowed her brow. "Lets go this way" she said pointing towards the forest to the side, atleast they could hit for a bit there. She began to make her way over to the tree's silently. She looked back at him and pulled out the pistol again. She wasn't about to get captured after coming this far.

He followed her into the trees, trying to stay low and quiet. But it seemed like their commotion had not undetected. He saw a soldier approaching in the clear area, gun drawn. "Look!" he whispered to Senka, pointing towards the soldier. They could see the soldier, but it appeared.he hadn't yet seen them, being that they had tree cover. But he looked suspicious that someone was hiding nearby. Josef wasn't sure whether it would be best to shoot him, or try to stay undetected.

Senka furrowed her brow a little when the solider came into view. He would spot them if they did nothing. She looked at him and whispered "Wait here", before she moved off silently making her way through the trees to move up behind him. She then used the pistol to his him the back of the head, knocking out. Once he was out she cuaght him as he fell putting him down into the sand gently so he would not make noise landing.

Josef watched as she expertly took care of the soldier. It was a smart move, because a shot would have attracted attention. He ran out to Senka standing over the fallen soldier. "Good move," he whispered. "I guess we need to get out of here quick before they come looking for him. Maybe we should try to monitor their activity in the area, though."

Senka looked at him as he ran out to her from where they we hiding. She kneeled down as he spoke and stripped the solider of his amunition. "We might end up needing these" she whispered, being cautious, and perhaps over preparing a little, but it was better to be careful. "Lets just keep out of sight" she whispered to him.

"Sure, good thinking," he said, reaching down, and holding his own pistol in his belt for a moment. This incident had made him realize the danger of what they were doing. He realized he might have to use his weapon to protect them as well. He led the way away from the border fence, trying to stay in the wooded area.

Senka followed him through the woods, keeping an eye out for any more soldiers on patrol. She walked hunched down a little, a pistol in her hand ready to fire if they ran into more trouble. She looked around and said " Maybe we should watchen them and wait till they leave?" she asked.

"Allright, I suppose it would be best if we know what we're dealing with," he whispered back. He pointed upwards, and let them up a trail to the top of a hill. This vantage point gave them a good view of the main road in and out, which the soldiers would certainly take when they left. At the same time, it was wooded, so they were hopefully well out of sight. "This seems like a good place to spy on them."

Senka looked at him and followed him up. She lay down in the snow getting settled and making sure they would not see her and she began to watch their movements. It seemed as though they were doing regular passport checks, but being a lot more careful and not as lax. Probably becouse of them.

He squinted his eyes, trying to get a good look at the movements of the soldiers. But then, he saw someone that he recognized, an old commander. He wasn't sure if Senka would recognize him, but he wasn't going to say anything about it. It would only lead to trouble, he knew.

Senka watched. the soldiers move about. Senka's eyes grew wide at the little at the sight of an older man. An anger grew up with in her that she had not felt in ages. She glared and she fisted the snow. She looked down for a moment and said "Josef...you know who that is don't you....". She glared at the soldiers angrilly. She looked at the gun in her hand. It would be so easy to just kill him, and finally have her revenge.

Josef could almost feel the anger coming from Senka's eyes. He knew that the older man was Newbury, the commander who had ordered the razing of her small, quiet town a few years back. He put his hand over hers, pushing it down with the gun, towards the ground. "You're right to feel how you do about him," he whispered. "But don't do anything foolish that will just get us both killed."

Senka continued to look at the man. The man that had a heart of stone. She looked at the gun in hr hand. She could kill him, it would be so easy, all she had to do was pull the trigger. She looked back to the distance before she seemed to distance her self from the world. She looked down a little and said "Good by Josef...it was nice to have been in your company, even if it was for a little while". With that she pulled out the pistol she had stolen from the knocked out german officer and got up and started running towards the officers, firing shots at the ones around the older one, taking them out first.

"Wait!" he called out, trying to grab her coat and hold her back, but to no avail. He was horrified that she was going to run out and kill not only the commander, but all the soldiers in his company. Josef, stayed where he was, shimmying along on the ground to get a better view of the landscape. He pulled out his pistol and kept it at the ready. He wasn't planning to shoot any German's needlessly, but a part of him deeply wanted to protect Senka.

It did not take long for them to begin to open fire on her. Dodging bullets she fired shots back, all for the head, taking them out quickly. Soon the elder commander was the only on left. He seemed to be in shock. Why would a civilian be firing on them. She could see the fear in his eyes as she raised the pistol to his head. She breathed in deeply. Voices in her head told her to do it, to just pull the trigger, be as heartless as he had been.

He looked at her and said "Why..?"

Senka looked at him and glared when he said that. She walked up to him and grabbed the collar of his shirt and put the pistol on the underside of his head. "Why? You massacred my entire town thats why you filth!" she spat in his face. She glared at him and said "You probably don't even remember" she said angrilly.

He looked at her, very afraid now. "How did it feel. Having all those people killed, then raping the women" she asked, punching him in the gut hard. He feel to the ground and to his knees, gripping his torso and coughing.. "Did it feel good, I hope killing you feels as good" she said angrilly.

She knew more soldiers would be coming here. It would be a matter of minutes. She knew then that her life would end. At least she may finally have had some comfort in knowing this scum was dead.

Anger filled up inside Josef for what she was doing. Sure, he knew that at some point, she would return to killing Germans, but to do it there, to put his life in danger after all he'd done for her! As she rushed at the small battalion, he lifted up his own pistol, and aimed it at her, giving thought to shooting her. After all, the young soldiers she was shooting at had done nothing to her. Why should they die?

But he didn't pull the trigger. He couldn't. Once she started shooting, he ran full speed down the hill after her. By the time he got to the bottom, they were all down, except for Senka and the commander. He sprinted towards her, ready to tackle her to the ground if she didn't shoot him or the commander first.

Senka looked at him on the ground. She held the gun up to his head, ready to fire. She then heard footsteps running from behind her. She turned to look before she was tackled to the ground. She grunted as she it the snow. She glared and struggled and yelled "Get of me Josef!". She tried to crawl out from underneath him, she wanted to kill Newbury, if Josef got in her way, she would kill him to. She didn't care anymore, she was destined to die. She wanted to be allowed to have her act of retribution.

Her hands clawed at the snow, struggling to get him off her. She glared and said "You know what he did Josef, you watched just like me! Why won't you let me kill hm!?" she asked.

He knelt over her, pinning her arms down into the snow. "You put my life in danger, too here, Senka. In five minutes, we'll probably both be dead. And what about these boys?" he asked, gesturing to their bodies lying in the snow. "I don't know why I'm doing this, but I'm going to get a head start out of here. I don't want to know what you do with Newbury," he said, getting up off her. If you don't catch up to me in thirty seconds, I won't wait for you. I have my own neck to worry about." He stood up completely, trotting into the nearby woods.

Senka felt him get off her and she heard what he said. Right now she could care less. All she wanted to do was kill Newbury. She stood up after he began to walk away. She glared at him before she pulled the trigger back and shot him in the head. The color drained away from the mans face before he fell forwards into the snow, the blood spilling out into the snow. She stood up and looked around. She could here the cars coming already, the rumbling of their engines echoing around her. She looked down. She'd be with her family soon, she was ready to accept death.

He started to run off into the woods. Josef heard the gunshot, but there was no sign of Senka. He knew that the reinforcements would arrive soon. Against his better judgment, he stopped in his tracks, and turned around. "This way, Senka," he shouted, observing a soldier zoom up on a jeep, and take aim at Senka. Josef lifted his pistol, taking a shot, which hit the German in the leg, causing him to fall off the jeep. "Through the woods, come on, Senka! They'll have to pursue us on foot this direction!"

Senka saw the German take aim at her. This was it. In a few brief seconds her life would be over and she would have joined those she loved the most. However the saw the man fall of the jeep with a leg wound. She blinked a few times when he heard Josef shouting behind her. She looked at him for a moment, a little confused. It was then that she began to start running after him, in the direction of the forest.

"Hurry," he shouted, waiting for her to catch up, and then taking her hand, and leading her through the thick brush. It was tough to traverse, but it was the only way which was possibly safe. "There's nothing but thick forest this way," he gasped between labored breaths. "They can only follow on foot. As long as we can stay ahead of them, we'll be safe." Two gunshots echoed from behind them, one whizzing through a line of tree branches to Josef's left.

Back
Top Bottom