Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Colder than the Snow ((me and Houdini))

Senka felt him take her hand and begin to run through the forest after him. She nodded when he spoke and said "Alright then" and continued after him, running harder than before, as gun shots came at them from behind. She continued to run. "We need to hide somewhere" she said looking around.

His breath seemed to get shorter and shorter as they sprinted at maximum effort through the thick woods. He almost tripped when an exposed tree root caught his foot, but he scraped his hand against the ground, continuing to run, although the near-fall had bloodied his hand a little. He nodded at her, unable to speak due to panting. He looked around, and saw a large water tunnel a bit over. He saved up a little bit of breath for a few seconds, before spurting out, "Let's try to get far enough ahead of them... ahh ahh," he panted. "and then duck into the water tunnel." He started to veer them in that direction, still clutching Senka's hand.

Senka continued to run behind him. She had a little more endurance than him since she had been a person that had to run from enemies all the time where he was sitting around in a room all day, but even she was getting out of breath. When he fell, she nearly came down with him. Luckily he managed to save him self and keep running. Senka looked at him and nodded and started to run faster, just a little more to get them ahead, she knew he was tired, she'd drag him along behind her if need be. It did not take long for them to reach the tunnel, she quickly ducked inside with him, making sure to be out of sight, when after about 4 or 5 seconds later, the thundering of soldiers feet moved past before fading into the distance.

Josef's heart jumped a little when he heard the soldiers pass overhead. He knew if they were cornered in the empty water tunnel, they would have been dead by now. Once the steps faded away, and his heart rate had returned a little closer to normal, he gripped Senka by both shoulders, shoving her against the wall of the tunnel. "Do you know you almost got me killed along with yourself, just so you could get your little revenge. How dare you?" he demanded, shaking her body back and forth. The adrenaline of having seen his life flash before him must have overcame him next, though. Before Senka had a chance to answer, he leaned in, and kissed her hard on her warm lips.

Senka looked at him in the eyes when he pushed her against the wall of the tunnel and shook her somewhat violently. Before she said anything back, her lips were taken by his. She was shocked and confused. She didn't know what to think anymore. After sometime, he pulled away and she looked down, tears welling up in her eyes. "I'm sorry", she said a tear rolling down her cheek. She looked at him and said "I thought if I killed him...I could have a few moments of solace, but...I just feel exactly the same! I'm tired...I'm tired of being angry...now I have another manâ??s blood on my hands". She looked up at him, grabbing the front of his jacket. "Am I a horrible person for wanting to avenge them, Am I the same as him? you carn't tell me you never wanted to avenge your wife" she said to him. She looked down and said "He has had a hold on me since that day, I have always been terrified of him since that day...I wanted to break it...but nothing is changed, even in death I fear him". She paused and looked at him and said "For months, I would wake up screaming in the night, seeing it all over again...I tried so hard to forget it, but I couldn't, do not condemn me for wanting my freedom!" she said to him, more tears rolling down her cheeks.

She let go slowly and looked away and said "Why did you come back, I was ready to die, you could have gotten away easily". She then realized that was a bit of a silly question to ask. The kiss she got told her that. He had some feelings for her it seemed. She looked down for a minute and said "What would you have me do Josef...I could not cower away from him again...you did not have to come"

He pulled away, wondering suddenly what he was doing. He reached up and brushed the tear away from her eye. "Of course I wanted to avenge my wife," he said forcefully. "But it won't change a thing. It won't bring her back. And now that you have your vengeance, are you happier than me for having it?"

He held the sleeve of his jacket up for her to wipe away some of her tears. "I don't condemn you for it," he reluctantly agreed. "I still do understand why you wanted to do what you did." He looked back directly into her eyes. "I don't know why I didn't leave you. I don't have a rational explanation, but I couldn't do it." Looking down at the bottom of the metal tunnel, he added: "I suppose I've become a little bit attached to you, Senka. If you don't feel the same way, you can leave and go back to your people now. I won't hold it against you. I'll at least know that I left you safe."

Senka looked at him when he said he wanted to avenge his wife. "Then don't act like a saint...you were the same as me!" she said. She looked down and wiped away her tears on his jacket and she looked back at him. She looked down a little when she spoke and said "I don't want to be alone anymore...I don't want to shut people out...this thing that I have become, I hate it!...I want to be able to feel again and I'm tired of killing people" she said looking away.

She looked down and said "All I ever feel is sadness...it's like I've forgotten there were other emotions...and thats becouse I locked my self away and destroyed the key...my own partner couldn't even get through to me, I'm such a cold thing, a little kitten begging for food wouldn't melt my heart...I don't want to be this thing anymore" she said softly.

"I said I wanted to, Senka," he said, his voice raising again. "I never did go on a killing spree to avenge her. And I certainly didn't repay someone who'd saved my life by almost getting them killed." He looked at her, his breathing returning to normal as she looked to the ground. "I think you've been doing better. I don't think, for example that you've been cold to me," he said picking up her hand and squeezing it. "You can change, just like I've changed." He stepped a little closer to her, putting a hand on each of her shoulders. "You have to make a decision, though, Senka. If you want to change, you have to promise yourself you'll do it. You have to promise me."

Senka looked at him as he spoke to her. She felt his hand take her and squeeze it comfortingly. Sh felt him step forward closer to her. She looked into his eyes and she spoke softly and said "I promise...I'll do it" she said softly. She looked up at him before she looked down and said "I will do it...I'll change" she said to her self. She looked at him and said "I don't want to be angry anymore".

He thought he felt her hand tremble a little in his as she looked him square in the eye and promised. He was glad that she'd made such a difficult resolve. Although she felt a little vulnerable to him now, as if unsure how to live without a sense of vengeance, he knew that a little vulnerability and dependence on others was a vital part of being balanced. "I'll help you, Senka," he said, looking back deeply into her eyes, and squeezing her a little tighter. He leaned in, and kissed her harder than the last time, opening his mouth a little and tracing his tongue along her lips, inviting her tongue to meet his if it desired.

Senka looked at him and she nodded when he said he would help her. She felt his hands hold her's tightly to comfort her before his lips met hers once again. She felt his tongue on her lips and she seemed to blush lightly. She felt her eyes close slowly and she kissed him back. She felt at ease with him. Her tongue slowly moved past her lips to meet his for a moment before she pulled away and said "We should leave before they find us..." she said quietly.

It felt wonderful to kiss her, and even better when she kissed him back, knowing that she wanted it, too. But he knew she was right. "I know," he gasped, pulling away from her, the tingle from her warm tongue on his pulsing through his body. "Let's go out the way we came. They went the other way," he said, grabbing her hand again and heading towards the tunnel exit. Once out, he began to trot back the way they'd come. "They won't look this way, let's go," he said excitedly

Senka felt his hand take hers again as he lead them out of the tunnel. She nodded when he said that they went the other way and said "How far do we have to run?" she asked him, following from behind, moving a little faster, feeling a bit anxious.

It seemed that the adrenaline had gotten the best of him. He didn't even realize how winded he was until he stopped, bending at the waist, out of breath. "I guess we can walk now. I don't hear anything now. Back there... I guess I was just worked up, with being chased, and then, well you," he said, the reminder of their recent kiss bringing a smile to his mouth. "There's a Swiss city about three miles this way. We can probably make it walking within an hour."

Leila stopped when he did. She blushed lightly when he said he was worked up becouse of her. She had to admit...the kiss was nice. She looked at him and said "Alright...lets keep going" she said pulling him up straight and continuing to walk on. She looked around, making sure there wasn't anybody around.

It was kind of Senka to help him get going again, he thought. The walk to town was uneventful, although it wasn't as big as he'd thought when they first got there. They'd have to be careful to hide out secretly. He found the town tailor shop, trying his same routine as before, instead of searching for an inn. He thought it wise, in case the inns were searched. Fortunately, his German accent wasn't given away, as the Swiss dialect of German here was slightly different. He and Senka were led into a tiny room, the only redeeming feature being that there was a small bathroom attached. "Hopefully, we'll at least be safe here for the night," he said in a low voice to her once the tailor had left.

Senka followed him thought the town and into the tailor shop. She stayed silent, her Russian accent would give them away in a second. Once they were inside the room, she looked around before walking over to the window and peering down into the street. There were no signs of soldiers yet. Hopefully it would stay that way. She slowly closed the curtain again and sighed to her self and said "They haven't come here yet" she said.

"Well, all we can do is hope and pray, because if they come here, we're done," he said, a little forlornly. "But they can't check every building in town. It's not that small. They would have to check the bakeries, the shoemakers, the candlemaker, everyone." He walked over and sat down on the bed, worn from the day's perilous activities. "It makes you realize how fleeting life can be," he said. "One can lose their life at any moment."

Senka looked at him and she said "You right...". She looked down for a minute before sitting on a chair beside the table in the room. It was warmer in here so she took of her coat and put it on the desk, cooling down a little. She looked at him and said "Do you have any water?" she asked feeling thirsty, her senses finally catching up with her after having ran for so long.

"Here, come sit next to me," he offered, pulling his canteen out of his satchel. He'd filled it with cool water from a stream earlier in the day. He took of his coat as well, standing up for a moment and laying it over another chair. "Should anything happen, don't you ever wonder about all the things you may miss out on in life?"

Senka got up and took the canteen from him and sat back down next to him before she took a drink, her dry mouth thankful of the water it received. Once she had had enough she pulled it away from her lips. She looked at him when he asked her the question. "Like what?" she asked him.

Josef looked into her eyes as she sat next to him on the bed, sliding his arm around her bottom on the bed, and grabbing her hip on the other side. "Like any of the things that you might do the rest of your life. Like love again," he suggested, leaning in and kissing her, the force of the move pushing her back onto the bed, as he continued to kiss her on the mouth.

Senka felt his arm around her. She looked back into his eyes as he spoke before she saw him move in to kiss her. She felt his lips against her own as he fell back onto the bed. She kissed him back gently, her hands moving to touch the sides of his face. She seemed to smile a little when she felt the stubble prickling her fingers.

Josef smiled when Senka kissed him back, although she couldn't see it, with her eyes closed, mouth against his. Her hands felt lovely on his prickly cheeks. "Mmmm, you taste so lovely, Senka," he said softly, his hands running through the long strands of her red hair, scooting up so their whole bodies were on the bed.

Senka looked at him and smiled. "Do I...thankyou" she said smiling. She felt his hands run though her hair. It was a pleasant unfamiliar feeling. It had been a long time since anyone had ever done that. She felt him push them up a little. She looked at him and her hand cupped his cheek as she into his eyes with he green ones.

Back
Top Bottom