Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Quix's Random Bullshit Thread (Comments Welcome)

RE: Quix's Writing Samples And Random Bullshit Thread (Comments Welcome)

She'll kill me for misspelling her name. Don't anger Mali :)

A little earlier, but Airplane (called 'Flying High here) is, I think one of the all-time great comedies, and makes me laugh every time I see it on cable. Even when I know the timing of every stupid joke off by heart by now.

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqtNxNRCcGg[/video]

I enjoyed Romper Stomper. A little like an Australian version of American History X, which is amongst my favourite films.

Mr Quixotic said:
She'll kill me for misspelling her name. Don't anger Mali :)

That took me a really long time to figure out what the hell you were talking about misspelling my name. And then I was like ‘eh, he just shortened it to Mali’ and it’s not like you misspelled or mispronounced my real name. But NOOOOOO!!! You had to call me ‘Mail!’ If it hadn’t been for Rudolph quoting your original post, I never would have seen it but now I do.

I curse thee to burn in the arm pits of a thousand burning, sweltering, sweating and steaming hot summers!

Or you know, maybe next time it’ll take 30-45 minutes after you’ve responded for me to…-cough cough- :angel::mad::angel::mad:

Perhaps we know why we don't anger Mali :angel:
Love you for thinking of Jinx...<3

But you still must pay :D

Ah, but Mali, you know I have a thing for feisty women, and do it on purpose; there's just something so hot about that expression of pure, unadulterated fury!

I'll never forget Jinx :)

Because I don't often receive responses to my thread from someone who's on the same wavelength, and interprets my words and tone in the vein that I wrote them to be interpreted, it puts a huge smile on my face when I do. More often than getting that the sarcasm and hyerpbole is deliberately over-the-top (even when it's directly stated as such), and written in good spirit, I receive comments such as the one below:

"There's a difference between hyperbole and sarcasm, and thinly veiled sexism and condescension disguised as "I was only joking" in an attempt to make anyone who doesn't find you witty feel stupid."

The 'thinly veiled sexism' line actually made me laugh (it's nice to meet those who are psychic, and apparently know my intent better than i do myself); considering the entire point of my thread is about my belief that the genders are equally capable, and my want to write against female character's who'll exhibit that capability and, at least at the commencement of the story, be the equal of my male. It appears some people are just looking for something to take offence at.

As I see it, I don't think it's I who espouses sexism, or women as 'helpless victims' and 'inferior to men' beliefs, but that, instead, the stereotypes are perpetuated by those females who do consider them to be true, and/or refuse to write their character's as anything but ones whose desires and actions are wholly defined by a male's whim.

Anyways, to share the message I received yesterday:

I was literally only sending this message to let you know that your request thread was nothing short of amazing. Though I may need to consult a doctor, as I'm positive that much sarcasm in such a high dose is potentially lethal.

That being said, while I'm sadly bereft at present of any sort of sparks for plot ideas I do hope to be talking with you in the future once I manage to come up with something. After all it would hardly be fair to read over your thread and then attempt to appeal to you as an interesting partner with an opening line of, "I've got nothing, you?".

In the meanwhile I wish you the best in finding more excellent writing partners!

Thanks; it was much appreciated.

Because I must share anything funny pertaining to Australia I present this video that has become popular recently:

[video=youtube]https://youtu.be/yDb_WsAt_Z0[/video]

Not gonna lie, most of these abbreviations seem unnecessary?? Maybe it's the former English major speaking but I alternately laughed and cringed at some of these. xDD

Great minds must think alike, Silv. I heard this on the radio on the way to work yesterday, and searched, but could only find a facebook video, not a you-tube one I could throw on here.

There's a few that even I hadn't heard of, and a couple that made me cringe, however I'll admit that I've been known to use a lot of them. Some, such as footy, brekky, and arvo, are so common that they've pretty much become words in themselves, and I don't think I've ever heard anyone say "The Salvation Army". Even on their own advertising, and Shopfront's, it's "Salvo's".

Your google-ing talents, as usual, put mine to shame! xD

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: And I just got in trouble from my brother. His reply to an email I sent him:

"I don’t like the American spelling of Mum by the way…I hope that was a typo!"

See what writing on BMR is doing to me. It's Mum, not Mom!

Silva that video was hilarious. I know what you both mean, some parts I wanted to cringe especially in learning where some of my pet peeves in words originate from. XP but I laughed everyone dude on the right embellished when he said a word. It was very giggle worthy xP

Omg Quix...does that mean you finally got in trouble???? :D tell me what you were feeling!! O.O

Stop laughing at the way we talk! I can't believe they forgot the most common one, "Throw a shrimp on the barbie."

I did Mali, and I was devo. Really devo. Had to get on the turps in the arvo, but a few tinnies and a couple bottles of Cab Sav helped me through.

Okay, now that we've all learnt some useful, and time-saving abbreviations, the next step is Rhyming Slang:

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUhBRlXC8LY[/video]

Maybe you have to be Australian to find this as hilarious as I just did. Or it could be that I'm yet to have caffeine.

Malicious Lullaby said:
Do Indians really talk this way? >.<

No, we do! They're just taking the piss out of some of our expressions, and the rhyming slang used.

"She bangs like a dunny door in the wind."

You can't not love that one for it's colourful imagery! xD

Y'all are crazy, that's all I have to say about that video! My reaction to the first 30 seconds:

4zEQSFIjjsc5G.gif

Australian accents though <3

One of the clients I visit is an Aussie, I could talk to him foreverrrr. Even though I probably wouldn't understand most of what he was talking about if these videos are any indication. xDD

Silvamoon said:
Y'all are crazy, that's all I have to say about that video! My reaction to the first 30 seconds:

4zEQSFIjjsc5G.gif

Australian accents though <3

One of the clients I visit is an Aussie, I could talk to him foreverrrr. Even though I probably wouldn't understand most of what he was talking about if these videos are any indication. xDD

Y'all? Is that a Southern accent slipping out, Silv? xD

I'm not sure what it is people like about the Aussie accent. Now, swooning at Irish one's, I can understand <3

I've actually got two friends who are originally from the bush/country, where rhyming slang is more common, and a couple of times they've deliberately used as much of it in a conversation as they could. Even I didn't even frigging understand what they were talking about! xD

Mr Quixotic said:
No, we do! They're just taking the piss out of some of our expressions, and the rhyming slang used.

"She bangs like a dunny door in the wind."

You can't not love that one for it's colourful imagery! xD

Teehee, you said Frigging <3

I don't know what "She bangs like a dunny door in the wind." I didn't get that far xP

You know when you get a knock at the door at 10am on a Sunday morning, they're either going to be asking for money, trying to sell you something, or attempting to convert you, so when I answer I'm not interested in being asked how I am, comments about the weather, or awkward 'chit-chat'. I want to know who you are, and why you're knocking on a complete stranger's door. Yesterday, it was the Jehovah's Witnesses.

At least he had the good grace to just say "Have a nice day", and leave without further comment after I finally got out of him his reason for being there, and said "No thanks." If I'd only had more time, I might have invited him for a fun debate.

How odd. Is that a new thing people are doing or did that guy just have really bad conversational skills? Who the hell goes up to a stranger's door and starts making small talk? That shit is not a "doorway tool". Most of the time anybody who comes to your door and they're not a. delivering a package or b. being invited in, are wasting your fucking time. It is not a good sales strategy to start with the most meaningless form of conversation that most people only go through the motions for anyway. Sure, the door would have gotten shut in his face anyway but the longer you delay that shit the more pissed you'll get.

He was just attempting to be super-friendly, and the 'fake-ness' was obvious. It's happened to me a couple of times before, with various charities and sale-people. I'm not sure if it's a new sales tactic, or how people are trained, but if a stranger turns up at my door, I first want to know why they're there.

Hey, who knows, maybe we can be friends, but don't treat me as if I am one, or to butter me up with insincerity, when you don't even know me!:)

Mr Quixotic said:
He was just attempting to be super-friendly, and the 'fake-ness' was obvious. It's happened to me a couple of times before, with various charities and sale-people. I'm not sure if it's a new sales tactic, or how people are trained, but if a stranger turns up at my door, I first want to know why they're there.

Hey, who knows, maybe we can be friends, but don't treat me as if I am one, or to butter me up with insincerity, when you don't even know me!:)

For real. I let it slide in other places, like the grocery store; once you're at the register, you're already leaving, so, it's nice to feel good on the way out, even if it's just talking about food and what's for dinner. I especially don't like to walk into a store and feel like someone swoops right onto me trying to sell me something I'm not there to buy. That's not service, that's pure sales. Service is where the real grit of return business comes from. Even if I was sold something shitty that didn't end up working out, if the guy who sold it to me made me feel good, comfortable, and secure, then I'll likely assume it's a manufacturing issue and go back for something else.

At the doorway is a person intruding upon MY space and MY time. Got a sales pitch? Get to it. Lot more respect for people who can sell that way than awkwardly fumble through something that would work on a less secure or a more socially desperate person. The logical assumption would not be, "this person is bad at this" it's actually, "they think I'm as stupid as those other people." Even though both are probably true.

Rudolph Quin said:
Mr Quixotic said:

For real. I let it slide in other places, like the grocery store; once you're at the register, you're already leaving, so, it's nice to feel good on the way out, even if it's just talking about food and what's for dinner. I especially don't like to walk into a store and feel like someone swoops right onto me trying to sell me something I'm not there to buy. That's not service, that's pure sales. Service is where the real grit of return business comes from. Even if I was sold something shitty that didn't end up working out, if the guy who sold it to me made me feel good, comfortable, and secure, then I'll likely assume it's a manufacturing issue and go back for something else.

At the doorway is a person intruding upon MY space and MY time. Got a sales pitch? Get to it. Lot more respect for people who can sell that way than awkwardly fumble through something that would work on a less secure or a more socially desperate person. The logical assumption would not be, "this person is bad at this" it's actually, "they think I'm as stupid as those other people." Even though both are probably true.

Totally agree with you. Our service is a little different, mainly due to us not having a tipping culture. I've been to the States, and actually enjoyed the 'have a nice day's' and friendliness of the staff, even when there's no expectation of a tip.

The funny thing is, I work in a sales business (but not in sales), and that's not how the salespeople here approach potential clients. I actually find it a little condescending when, as you say, they're impinging upon your time, and you know they're not really interested, or being sincere, but have ulterior motives in 'wanting you to like them'. It just does the opposite, for me.

As anyone who's read much of this journal has probably gathered, I'm an Atheist, defined as 'Without a belief in God, or Gods'. One of the best books I've read on the subject is, Atheism: The Case Against God, by George H Smith, which, though read after, was written well before the 'Four Horsemen' - Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens, Daniel Dennet and Sam Harris - gained fame (or notoriety). It particularly concentrates on the logical aspects of belief, and Faith versus Reason, and I've just come across a free, full copy of the book online for anyone who may be interested. Recommended and thought-provoking, though at times heavy, reading.

tumblr_mcj2qlmwV81r7qpeho1_1280.jpg

So, I've bumped both my threads every single day for around the last two weeks, and in that time I've had a total of one approach.

Now, I don't think my writing is either that bad to turn people away, or of a calibre to intimidate anybody, so I can only put the lack of interest down to the types of personalities that attract me being exceedingly rare, the 'demands' of my request thread, and 'tone' it, and I, am perceived to convey.

It's got the stage where I've thought about deleting my sarcastic request thread, as it's rarely interpreted in the manner in which it was written, and composing something more user-friendly, however I just can't!

Losing that thread would be like losing a part of myself, and let's be honest, it wouldn't change my preferences. Though, I'd most likely receive more approaches, it would also increase the chance of miscommunication/misunderstandings in regards to what I'm looking for, and piss more people off when we conversed directly!

I think it's also exacerbated by the fact that I'm terrible at coming up with fleshed-out plots from a blank slate, and that's what many people look for on a request thread, whereas my creativity in that regard kicks up a notch when I collaborate and brainstorm with another, as well as me being one to rarely make an approach.

The reason for not often approaching others is that, as I find it rude when people respond to my threads not with how their characters/preferences match what I've asked for - the entire purpose of creating a request thread in the first place, I would have thought -, but instead with what their preferences or wants are, I refuse to do the same to anyone else.

Therefore I need to wait for requests which seem to be the precise 'fit', where the author has stated a preference, of their own volition, for that which I'm also searching for, before I'll message. Of those, there aren't many. Maybe I'm just too respectful when it comes to other people's stated desires/requests?

C'est La Vie.

And to the awesome partners I do have; if it's possible, I appreciate you more and more every day :)

I'm entitled to a car-park at work, but don't worry about it, as I'm usually the first to arrive at 6:30am, and utilise one of the two spare all-day spots not allocated to any of the businesses in the building, which are always vacant at that time. Why deny someone else who works with me, and arrives later, a space, and force them to then pay $12 a day?

Anyways, I've been parking where I am for the last six months without any issues. Until yesterday. I head down to go home, and on the windscreen is a typed note that says:

"This space is for tenants only. Park here again, and you will be towed."

No company name or contact details on it at all. Just that.

So, when I arrived this morning, I parked in the same spot, flipped the note over and wrote on the back:

"I am a tenant, please get your facts straight before you start leaving notes, and making threats", and included my name and phone number.

I haven't been contacted as yet, I'll be interested to see if my car's still there this afternoon!

I hate it when people don't have the balls to say who they are, but do things anonymously, particularly when their statements/assumptions are factually incorrect. If you have something to say, say it to someone's face, or at least provide details so that they can contact you to discuss.

Obviously it wasn't the Corporate Body, or anybody with any actual authority, but most likely another business in the building, trying to use 'scare tactics'.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Happy to hear Steven Hawking's announcement of a ten year, $100m, SETI project, which will finally allow Scientists to undertake a properly financed search for Extraterrestrial Life. I can't recall a time where I haven't believed that 'we're not alone' - even from my earliest childhood -, and the search for Alien Life has always fascinated me; particularly in regards as to what the repercussion/reactions would be on on Earth if it could ever be proven, beyond doubt, that other life-forms exist elsewhere in the Universe.

Damn I hope they find something.

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0kbiUsauoI[/video]

------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's been a good start to a Thursday morning!

I offered to help the owner's eighteen year old daughter, who also works for us, complete her personal tax return, and when I made the offer, her Dad asked, "What do you drink, she needs to learn the tradition." I was pleasantly surprised when she walked in this morning with a bottle of bourbon.

Then, half an hour later, another employee, who I did a favour for yesterday, handed me an envelope, and said, "This is just to thank you for your help," and inside was a $100 gift voucher.

Little things like that make my day :)

Malicious Lullaby said:
I always appreciate the little things.

I hope Stephen Hawking's research doesn't make Alien VS Predator real >.<

So do I; just the little, thoughtful things, same as it's the little, thoughtless things which are most likely to irk me.

Don't worry, Ripley's still alive; she'll take care of them!

Back
Top Bottom