Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Grief and Disgrace make good bedfellows ( Lady Luna and Wolvenrogue)

Nelly grinned when she heard that. "I promise! I will keep all weight off my foot until you say I can. You'll build it, won't you?" She asked as she tugged on his shirt lightly.

Yes I will but you have to behave and be careful. You miss-behave and you will spend the month in bed! Alright we have shopping to do." He wheeled the buggy in front of her and said "You push the buggy and i will push you both."

"I'll be good. I promise." Nelly agreed readily as she held onto the buggy. "I'm ready when you are." She said as she smiled up at him, feeling a lot better now that she could be more mobile again.

Robert pushed the whole procession across the street to the general store and then sat outside on the porch with Elizabeth as Nelly shopped.

Nelly slowly moved around the shop, still getting used to the wheelchair. Finally she returned to Robert feeling a little discouraged. "I have the list of foods you said you like but I've never cooked before so I'm not sure what all I need. I'm sorry."

"We should get the doctors wife to help you. Watch Elizabeth while I get her. " He returned a few minutes later . "Nelly, this is Gladyss, she will help you shop."

Nelly and Gladyss exchanged greetings before going into the shop. The two talked and laughed together while they shopped. It shouldn't have taken long to get what they needed for supper, but they were having such fun that it ended up taking twice as long. Finally they exited the shop. "Thanks Gladyss." Nelly waved as she left. Then she looked at Robert. "Gladyss said they would probably be coming over soon because it takes a while to prepare the food."

"Well then we had best load up and head home. " He picked her up out of the chair and put her on the seat of the wagon the got the baby and put her in Nelly's arms. He loaded the buggy and the wheelchair and finally the food she had purchased. He climbed into the seat and they headed for home.

Nelly readily took the baby when Robert handed her over. "When do you think you will have the supports built around the stove?" She asked once he was up in the wagon. She couldn't hardly wait because they would be a lot of help when cooking.

" It wont take much time. Maybe two hours once we are home. "
When they arrived, he unloaded the wagon and got the baby in the cradle and Nelly in her new chair and the went to the barn to build the rails from some saw horses he had built years ago. He was back in the house and setting them up around the stove in about an hour. He put his full weight on them and they held so he he told Nelly "Go ahead and try them. "

Nelly fed the baby while Robert was in the barn. By the time he came into the house she had put her down for a nap and was sitting by the fire. When he told her to try the rails, she didn't need a second invitation. Quickly she wheeled herself over to it. Then she put each hand on each of the railings, pulling herself up out of the chair. After a minute of standing, her foot was starting to get tired so she sat back down. "It's wonderful and I hate to ask for more but... I don't suppose you could make some kind of a stool that's tall enough so I can put my knee on it and more evenly distribute my weight. I didn't realize just how hard it would be to stand on one foot for a time."

"Just a minute I think I have just the thing ! He went to the barn and came back with a milking stool and set a pillow on it . Try that." he said and stood back to watch her try the stool.

Nelly used the railings to pull herself once again. Then she rested her knee on the pillow atop the stool. It ended up being just the right height. She grinned happily. Not only would it help take some weight off her foot, but now she could easily balance without holding the rails while she cooked. "Thank you! This is absolutely perfect. Just what I needed. Now I can pull myself up and stay standing for however long I need."

Robert started unpacking the groceries and putting them away where they belonged. Just the there was a knock at the door. Robert opened the door and it was Doc and Gladdys. "Come in" Come in" he said.

Nelly sat back down in the chair and wheeled herself over to the pair. "Look what Robert made for me and just in time for a cooking lesson too." She said with a smile as she showed off the railings and stool. Despite her hurt foot, she was beginning to be happy with what she had to work with. She was really glad that Robert was willing to do so much to help her.

"Doc would you like a taste of whiskey? I think the ladies will be busy for quite some time . He got the bottle and two glasses and the two men walked out on the porch, Doc it seems we share a common pleasure. Tell me, how did Gladdys take the shaving.? As you can tell Nelly is quite shy about it." He poured the good doctor some whiskey. " To tell the truth Gladdys was very shy at first, but now she is quite insistent that I keep her well maintained , shall we say. "

"That is wonderful Nelly and now that the men are out of our hair, we can really get started. Cooking is really easy once you get the hang of it. You'll see." Gladyss reassured the nervous Nelly, pun intended, as they began the preparations for supper. It took a couple hours, but when they were finished, they had a feast on the table. There was fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, and even biscuits. The smell of the food wafted out of the house as the women set the table.

Robert smelled the chicken and ushered the doc inside to supper. "it looks like you ladies have outdone your selves. " They sat down to the table and Robert took Nelly's hand and said a blessing before they began to eat.

Nelly waited to eat and watched as Robert took a bite. "So? How is it?" She asked anxiously before Gladyss chimed in. "Nelly did most of it herself. I just told her how to do it and showed her a few tips and pointers. She really seems to be a natural, don't you think?"

Robert grinned . "It is really good Elly! " he said. He then ate like he hadn't in a long time. "That was a fine dinner Nelly, a very fine dinner . " Just then a small voice was heard from the crib. "It looks like you have one more to feed Nelly " I'll get the dishes, Robert said.

Nelly let out a sigh of relief before she started eating. She hadn't realized it but she had been holding her breath as she waited to see how he liked it. Seeing the way he quickly devoured the food, she clearly had nothing to worry about. When she heard the baby's cries, she quickly shoved the last of the food from her plate in her mouth, chewed, and swallowed. "Thank you." She said as she wheeled herself over to the crib. When she picked her up to nurse, she kept her back to everyone. Even though the doctor had seen everything and Gladyss was a girl, she was still a bit shy about feeding her baby in front of people.

The Doctor and his wife called over to Nelly thanking her for dinner. Gladdys pulled on the Doc "lets get out of here, she is a shy young thing lets leave her to the baby" she whispered . Seeing that they were ready to leave, Robert thanked them for coming and walked them to the door. "It was so nice to have you! we ill have to do this again. "

Nelly kept her back turned but looked towards the two. "Thank you for coming and for the lessons." Once they were out the door, she looked at Robert. "Could you push me to the fire. I can't do it with the baby in my arms."

"Oh! yes ... I forgot the basket ! it is still in the wagon! He went outside and was back in moment and standing beside her chair holding the basket and trying to imagine a way to attach it to the chair. After a few minutes of trying , he sat down and started scratching his head.

Nelly giggled and shook her head.. "The basket won't help while I'm nursing the baby. Could you move me to the fire?" She asked again as she switched the baby to the other side.

Back
Top Bottom