Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Roleplay turn offs

When people try to bring fandom characters into original storylines. (Yes, this has happened) There's a time and place for everything, and I would've been more than happy to do a fandom RP if they had just asked nicely. Trying to sneak that in there and thinking that I wouldn't notice? Total turn off.

I can get really funny about names of characters. Names that don't fit the character or setting, or names that are unoriginal. Calling your vampire Jeremiah Cornfield III is a million times better than another 'Alucard'.

My biggest turn off I could remember was during the planning stage. We were discussing the setup and I gave out my idea. I thought it was relatively well written and thought out. At the very least I tried. The response I got, in its entirety:

“Meh”

The next several messages were like pulling teeth as I tried to figure out what they didn’t like and what could be changed. I’m in no way married to my concepts and am happy to change them. But that lack of willingness to communicate and work together killed any interest I had in RPing with them.

I cannot stand when partners don't contribute to the forward momentum of the story. If I am doing all the heavy lifting, I might as well be writing by myself.

This. Regardless of whether it's in the planning stages or the actual thread/RP, ugh. So annoying.

Then there's the number of PMs I get that literally are just "Wanna RP?". Even though I kindly ask to include more than that.

Of course. That's why I have a search thread(s) that I bump.

I feel like there are so many that have already been mentioned (non-commitment, ignoring ones limits, lackluster responses, etc...), but one that I feel like has lead to the most personal frustration in the past is sudden course correction. The best partners I’ve had are ones that I can plot with for a very long time, and have a lot of fun just considering kooky potential plot lines and such, but I hate....HATE when we settle on a plan, start posting back and forth, and then my partner suddenly decides they want it to go in a very different direction than what we discussed. The worst of these has even involved my partner asking me to dramatically change my character’s opinion of the situation and even other characters, basically asking me to change the character I made to fit this new, one sided narrative.

Also, one sided plotting. Either partners bringing nothing to the table and I have to do the heavy lifting, or I get sent a multiple page outline for a story that can’t be altered and I’m expected to basically act out the script of someone’s fan fiction.

Consistently poor grammar and spelling I suppose. I make mistakes fairly frequently since I'm currently disabling autocorrect for better writing habits, but if you spell like a cross-eyed bonobo ape then the immersion starts to fade and be replaced with slight irritation.

For me, it would be one simple thing. It's when one of my partner tries to force a non-con element into the story we built. I mentioned many time how much I dislike non-con!

I had started a whole thread on what will keep me from starting an RP thread. What would make me drop after the fact?

Regular miscommunication of intention/what we were going for. If it's clear we are just not on the same page, or keep getting off of it, it's just too complicated.

Lackluster performance. The "repeat what you did" thing, or lack of forward momentum, or just...it's hard to quantify but regardless of size or grammar, it's not very interesting or good.

Their character just not consenting/being unwilling, even after the fact it was made clear that's important to me.l

Being uncommunicative/crawling when it comes to replies. Have a delay? Let me know. Not feeling it? Let me know. Go 1.5 weeks where I can see you've connected, but you're just not saying anything? I am Not Happy.

A tone that is completely opposite to what we negotiated. Or one that is getting too dark and sad for me. One RP had written me into a corner where it was clear I was going to have to break their character's heart in order to get things to progress, and I just could not do that.

There are other, smaller things that will not make me drop an RP, but will cool me off. Such as an utterly shameless character in an RP that wasn't setup to be utterly shameless.

Writing just, or mostly, reactionary posts. That is the number one most annoying thing for me as a roleplayer. If I wanted to write a solo story, I wouldn't be on this site at all.

Springing surprise kinks on you that were never even talked about, especially if they're on the more brutal or just not-the-norm end of things. It's like surprise anal, but in roleplay form. Just don't do it.

Run on sentences. I can't stand them; they really grind my gears. It's one of those things where if I see an excessive amount in a roleplay, I'm 99% likely to just drop it. Run on sentences become a pain to read and process, especially with longer posts.

A few which have happened recently:

1) Godmodding, which sometimes can be handy with the introduction of an overpowered character or to rectify information in a previous post that wasn't desired. But if we aren't fully in control of our characters, then what's the point of roleplaying between two people? Every action should have an equal or opposite reaction, even if we're both just writing.

2) Imbalances without agreement, which is a fancy way for me to say I'm fine with writing more paragraphs than my partner if it's previously agreed (i.e I'm playing more than one character), I'm willing to maintain a 1-post-per-week roleplay going indefinitely if it's previously agreed (i.e a plot-heavy roleplay with length replies or you tell me that you're busy) and I'm generally willing to accept anything outside of my comfort zone if it's agreed beforehand. What I dislike is sudden replies from dead roleplays without at least a 'how's it going?', as if expecting me to ditch any other new partnerships I've made and return when an appropriate enough amount of time has passed to make me think the RP is dead. This also applies to things like 'don't ask me about my personal life if you're not willing to give any answers yourself, and don't rant about your problems if you're not willing to hear me out in the future'. It's all about give and take, for me.

3) Fake praises, which aren't as much of a turn-off as a confusing disappointment. I tend to write multi-paragraph starting posts to lay out some groundwork and immersion, and many times I've been told 'that was great!' only to never hear anything ever again from that person. In those cases, I'd much rather be told 'too much detail, too long, or not what I expected' or even not getting any reply whatsoever both IC and OOC. I'd rather be ghosted than told a lie.

- Special Note: I would name 'ghosting' as a turn-off, but I've been guilty of this many times in the past when RL or other things kick off. If you're reading this and feel I owe you a reply, please feel free to let me know so I can make amends.

This. I can't count the amount of times I've had a partner that I seemed to really get along with, discuss the details for days on end...and then they never actually make a single post once the RP gets going. It's why I'm wary of discussing a roleplay for too long before starting it, because you can get really hung up on the little details.

That. And it still happens to me once every two weeks or so. I know life happens, but its easy to just man/woman up and say, "Things came up and I can't play. Sorry!" But people rarely do.

God-modding, I've dropped quite a few plays after character assassination or taking total control dong thinks my character just wouldn't do.

One liners to my several paragraphs is so disheartening.....

Bad English and text speak. Not too worried about spelling but people who just cant write plain English are a def .no..

Lack of ideas or plot.. I do expect my partner to have a mind of their own and able to lead to my bottom nature and reacting to my twists and turns

God-modding is my biggest pet peeve with RPing. Not only are the assertions by the other person on what my character thinks/feels usually incorrect, but the actions they 'make' them too are often so out of character it skews the whole plot. It frustrates me to no end.

That, and when you write a multi-paragraph response and you're met with one sentence replies, and somehow have to build from that. Super frustrating.

When a person tells me what I'll be playing and what the setting is. Not like they're asking if I would like to play a character, or if I'd enjoy a sstting. I mean when they say "you are a ____ in ______ setting"

The first turn-off is when the other writer gives you a small/non-responsive reply towards a starter or even a response that you have worked hard on. For example, if you give the other a five paragraph response with action going and receiving a one-liner that holds nothing to progress the storyline further.

Know the feeling....you damn near write a post that ends up 4 paragraphs long and your partner replies with a 2 liner.....
another thing that turns me off is all this 'Futa' crap....sorry, maybe it's just my own personal taste, but the idea of having sex with someone that looks like a squirrel or kitfox just doesn't interest me

Lol, futa vs. furry.

The biggest turn off is dominant women. The biological differences between men and women are too great to even consider the possibility of women dominating men, or even women dominating each other-- the very notion is unfathomable and unnatural, and should be punished in the eyes of both the law and God himself. Mhm, roleplay turn-off.

Last edited:
Had a post where I said where the other person's character looked. Got a PM saying to not godmod them, to ask them to change their post.

I'm sorry, but no. I understand not wanting someone to make your character do/say things they would not. But I am not going to try and flag down permission for where your character glances, ffs.

Dropping that RP.

I'm sorry, but no. I understand not wanting someone to make your character do/say things they would not. But I am not going to try and flag down permission for where your character glances, ffs.

Would that not also depend on what was talked about before? Like I agree with you, I think it’s rather silly, but I find it’s also one of those things that should be talked about before hand, as some people are picky about their partners writing in a micro-Interaction such as where to look. It also depends on context as well, what the look means, what it might portray about their character, etc.

it was a look at something, not someone. Their character’s attention was being drawn to movement.

If someone is that picky, then it needs to be on their req thread. Sensitivity like that should be spelled out.

When someone after 'reading' your request thread proceeds to send you a PM saying only. "I read your reply."

I really hate doing all the leg work for an RP. Throw me a bone! If all you post is reactions to what I posted I'm going to peace out real fast.

Back
Top Bottom