Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Roleplay turn offs

Passingfancies

Meteorite
What is something a partner can do or write that completely turns you off of a roleplay? What's the number one thing that makes you drop a roleplay?

I cannot stand when partners don't contribute to the forward momentum of the story. If I am doing all the heavy lifting, I might as well be writing by myself.

when a person all of the sudden drops out of sight off the site for a long time, then all of the sudden reappears and tells you "remember me?" "remember the rp we were doing?"

When everything is just an excuse to cram tons of kinks and smut instead of having the story progress toward it.

I think the worst one for me is extremely bad grammar. It drives me up a wall if someone is unable to properly convey their thoughts while making large run on blobs of text.

I'm new to the site but not to roleplaying overall, and I would have to say when the other person isn't interacting, they're just acting out their preplanned fetish with you as scenery. Obviously going after what you want is to be expected, but if it's not collaborative it sort of misses the point.

I think the thing that irks me the most, is when someone describes what my character is thinking or feeling. That is territory I dont like to get into and it is so damned disrespectful.

I dislike when writing lacks heart. I enjoy being creative, and I like it when my partner is too. If things get dull, I often try to shake them up.

This is a topic I could go on for hours about; but sixteen years RPing will do that to you, RIP. I'd say I pretty much agree with everyone above me, but I'm just gonna throw down a few of my own.

I guess, my number one pet peeve is when my partner can't stick to one consistent tense with their writing. I have Asperger's, so a piece of writing that jumps back and forth between present and future tense is really hard for my brain to comprehend. And I guess hand in hand with that goes using big words incorrectly to try and make their writing seem more complex.
Bothering me for posts. That's a big nope for me.
Or when they tell me they're willing to write a switch but then look for every excuse to bottom during smut. And with that, disregarding my hard limits to do whatever they want without running it by me first.

I have more. I could go on. xD

Someone just brought up the perfect explanation in another post that describes my main turn off: characters who are supposed to act like they're indebted, brainwashed or drugged into acting horny, slutty, dumber and more eager.

When we start running through cliches and repeating the same things that we've been doing several pages ago, with absolutely no progression in the plot.

the wrong use of "would" when they are describing an actual action and expecting you to react to it. not sure, but I can't handle that. either do the action or don't.

First person perspective, but I especially am turned off by people who switch tenses throughout posts. I hate present tense with a passion and it's a muse killer when a partner switches back and forth between past and present tense.

Also very turned off by people who ignore my limits and try to force kinks that I don't enjoy into the story. That's happened more than once.

Probably a fairly common turn-off, but I hate when people PM me saying they "saw my request thread", then proceed to ask me if I would be interested in doing a roleplay that has absolutely nothing to do with the things I actually have listed on my thread.

Narrating my actions for me. I was in an RP (on another site, not pointing any fingers) with someone who sent me a page-long response that was mostly what my character was doing and saying, and I was like "...okay, so, why exactly do you need my involvement in this roleplay?" Their entire post was "My character does this, then yours does and says this" and I had no idea how I was even supposed to respond.

Also, first-person tense. I totally respect that there are people who like it, nothing wrong with that whatsoever, but I can't do it.

Having a long back and forth discussion about the details of a roleplay and what we both want involved, and then ignoring it once the roleplay begins, or getting into it, then asking to add things that were already discussed as limits.

Also, I had a partner that would get so far into a roleplay, then suddenly tire of it and want to try something else, then when we couldn't come up with another satisfactory idea for us both, go back to the original roleplay. It lost it's momentum and was hard to re-establish.

The first question is about my kinks rather than what I want to write about. It makes it abundantly clear what the prime objective is. No interest at all in storytelling.

When everything is about sex and no story. Doing all the work in a roleplay with the story, characters, everything.

Having a long back and forth discussion about the details of a roleplay and what we both want involved, and then ignoring it once the roleplay begins, or getting into it, then asking to add things that were already discussed as limits.

Also, I had a partner that would get so far into a roleplay, then suddenly tire of it and want to try something else, then when we couldn't come up with another satisfactory idea for us both, go back to the original roleplay. It lost it's momentum and was hard to re-establish.

This. I can't count the amount of times I've had a partner that I seemed to really get along with, discuss the details for days on end...and then they never actually make a single post once the RP gets going. It's why I'm wary of discussing a roleplay for too long before starting it, because you can get really hung up on the little details.

When the response is basically a retelling of what you just posted. Example...Me: my heavy tits sway with each thrust...Them: Watching as her heavy tits sway with each thrust. There was no point to respond.

This has, thankfully, only happened once but the worst was using them using a real life people (who I knew personally) traumatic past. Like damn near word for word of their history only in fantasy setting. I remember just reading the post and feeling dirty and morally wrong. Like my friend didn't hide the pains form people, which is why I knew my writing partner knew their struggles. Yet to be use for entertainment just felt very weird. On top of that sending it to me as if I wouldn't recall it! Take god mod over that pile of burning WTH any day XD

Back
Top Bottom