Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Escaping Limbo (BurningWillow & BloodRedRomeo)

Roland couldn’t stop himself, reaching out and hugging the sobbing girl. Seeing Beth cry like this hurt him, and knowing he caused it only drove the knife deeper.

“I know,” he said sadly. “I know I’m being stupid. And unfair. And selfish. But for me, there was no other way.” He just held her for a moment, considering what to tell her. He decided she deserved to know everything.

“In sixth grade, there was this really cute girl in school. She was so pretty, so quiet. She never misbehaved. And while other boys fantasized about other girls, I found myself drawn to her. I had a big crush on her, so big that I still think of her as my first love,” he told her, still not letting go. “Do you know what her name is? It’s Beth.”

He wasn’t lying. He had been crushing on her before they became friends. He had never told anyone this, never intending for people to know. But she deserved to.

“In seventh grade, I became friends with her, and I was so happy. I often had dreams of her being my girlfriend. I wanted to ask her out, but I was too scared. So I didn’t. I didn’t and was just happy being friends.

“As time went on, more girls began to join our circle. Eventually, there were seven of us, best friends who were as thick as thieves. But I found my eyes being drawn towards the other girls. They were all beautiful, talented, and fun to be around. So while my first love stayed in my heart, the others moved in as well,” he continued to tell her, the story of his messed up love life being hard to continue saying.

“I’ll be honest, I was confused and conflicted for a long time over this. Years, in fact. I tried everything: lists, charts, random dice rolls. I don’t know if you noticed, but there was a time when I tried to spend as much time as possible with each girl in turn, trying to see if I could make myself love one of you more than the rest.” He paused again, letting everything sink in. “I couldn’t. I just couldn’t. I also couldn’t date anyone else because I couldn’t want anyone else. So I waited, thinking that maybe some would change or go on to date others and I would go with whoever was last. That’s how pathetic I am. I had decided to just wait and let you all do the hard work.

“But I don’t want that anymore. Two nights ago, the night of the party, I walked in on Ashley and Tia making out, hearing them talking about me. I slept with both of them,” he said, having not planned on telling her this part but being to far into it to not explain everything. “After that, I realized what I truly wanted. I didn’t want to choose. I wanted to be with everyone, no matter what. I wanted to date all of you and to overcome the challenges that came with that. Because if it was for you six, I would and will do anything.

“So I’m not asking you for this because I’m trying to round out the group. I’m also not doing this out of pity so you don’t feel left out. I’m doing this because it’s you. Because you are one of the loveliest people I have ever meant. If you gave me the choice between you and a harem of supermodels, I’d choose you every time. Because you are what matters to me,” he explained, hoping she understood everything he was saying. “The only people I could choose between are the six girls who live in this house.”

Beth sobbed into his arms, having no where to go and nothing more to do but listen.

His story surprised her. And made her blush. And overall confuse her. How could one person love six? And how could he expect her not to be jealous? Tia and Ashley had him first?!

“Is...everyone on board,” she whispered, not knowing if she wanted that answer. Did he wait till last with her? Was she his final pick?

He could tell what she was thinking. She was scared he had saved her for last because he liked her the least. He needed to make it clear that was not the case. Roland adjusted himself so he was laying down on her bed, his head on her pillow. He pulled her with him, causing her to lay down in his arms. It was easier to hug her in this position.

“Yes, everyone else is on board,” he told her. “The order means nothing though. It was purely by chance. Like I said, I walked in on Ashley and Tia. Lela saw us the next morning, so I talked to her. Andrea found out about us then. I spoke to her, learning she had told V. After I convinced her, V ran away. So I chased after her,” he explained. “At no point did I choose to leave you for last.”

Roland continued to hold her against him. He could feel her sobs continuing to wrack her body. Each continued to pull at his heartstrings. So he told her the thing he didn’t want to. “You can say no,” he told her. “I love you; I want you to say yes. But I won’t think any less of you if you say no. I’ll stay your friend, no matter what. So you don’t have to say yes.”

Beth lay with him, because he pulled her down. He was right, she continued to cry. But only because she was so torn. She had always wanted him. But it never entered even her wildest dreams that she would end up having to share him.

“I don’t want to say no,” she hiccuped, still holding to him tightly, “but how can I say yes? I can’t stand to even think of you touching them.”

She cried harder, lost in the dilemma. Andrea was getting over her jealousy, but it didn’t compare to Beth’s. She loved Roland too much to share. But could she learn to?

“Is there anything I can do?” he asked, trying to help the girl. “Anything I can do to help you find your answer?” He meant anything. If she asked to be left alone, he’d leave. And if she asked him to stay, he would stay. What he wanted to do was give her the night she’d never forget, but he couldn’t bring that up. She was too frazzled as is. That would only confuse her more. At the very least, he’d answer any question she had for him.

She shook her head but she was holding him tight enough he couldn’t move. Maybe I was because she was afraid he’d leave and ruin any remainder of a chance she had. Maybe it was because she didn’t know her answer.

“Can you just stay while I...while I figure it out?” She choked back another sob, trying to wipe her tears and be strong, “can you please stay Roland. Just for tonight. Give me...time to answer.”

She went quiet after that, laying in his arms holding him tight, staring out at the wall lost in thought. Her tears slowly dried and her breathing slowed, until he would realize she had fallen asleep. She felt that safe in his arms. Maybe her dreams would have her answers. Maybe by morning she would know.

For now she slept on cuddled into him, dreaming about what it might be like to share him with her best friends.

~

When morning came Beth woke him up with a small shake. She was sitting up in bed, looking at him nervously, sitting with her knees up.

She didn’t say good morning. She got straight to the punch, “You promise you’ll never pick only one of us? Can you promise this will...work?”

“For you? You can have all the time in the world,” he replied, pulling her into the most comfortable position that he could manage for her. If that’s what she needed, that’s what she got. He stayed awake as long as was, altering his position slightly as she moved, ready to answer any concern she had. It was only after she fell asleep that he allowed himself the same privilege.

When he woke up, he struggled to shake away the sleepiness quick enough. Beth was not interested in wasting time. “I’ll never choose a favorite. I can promise that. If I could, I wouldn’t be doing this in the first place,” he explained.

“As to the second part, I can’t promise you that. I want to, but I can’t,” he added, his voice more downtrodden than before. “Relationships are hard work, and they don’t always work out. But I can promise you that I will do everything I can to make this work. That will never change.” He wondered if that was enough, or if he had just made her even lest interested. Failure or success, he tried.

She let out a shaky breath, listening to him. For a minute there was only silence as she looked away, chewing over his words then looked back to him.

“I’ll...do it. On one condition. You promise it will be just like dating you. For real. Like movies and dinner and...stuff. Without having to share you with them. I mean I’ll share...but I want to go on dates with you. Alone. Um...am I making sense?”

She stared at him, at his eyes, down to his lips, wondering if she said yes, would he kiss her now? She had always wondered what he’d taste like

Roland couldn’t stop himself from embracing her. “Of course you’ll get time for just the two of us,” he promised. That had never been in doubt. At least for him. “I’ll do everything I can to make you happy. I promise,” he told her, his voice unable to hold in his joy.

Of course, he had just had a woman he loved agree to date him. He pulled back from her, but only a bit. He took a long look at her face. Her beautiful face. Then, without really thinking about it, he moved in. He pressed his lips against hers, taking the first kiss of his first love.

That promise was what Beth needed. To be sure this wasn't a ploy for sex. She never really thought Roland the type, so she knew he would promise, but she still had to ask. To know for sure.

Now he held her and promised everything she wanted out of him would be hers. All she had to do was share him. He pulled back, and she blinked, looking at him with her beautiful puppy eyes, full of love and hope, and a little bit of nerves. Then he leaned in and her breath caught as she realized in the second she had that it was about to happen. Her first kiss. Ever.

She froze, holding her breath in as his lips pressed against hers, and her mind exploded, fireworks going off everywhere. His lips were soft but firm as they pressed in and as she unfroze her hands came up to cup his neck, her soft full, luscious lips pressing back as the sparks continuing to fly.

Roland was feeling the same sparks that she was. Like all the other girls, she was different, and it was those subtle differences that made him crave more of her. He continued to kiss her with warmth and affection before he got an idea. Something that would make this special. Simple, but special. He pulled back from her as he repositioned himself. So while her back was facing the headboard, he was directly in front of her.

“Have I told you how wonderful you are?” he asked, leaning in to kiss her again. It was brief, pulling back to continue. “You’re smart,” he told her, then kissing again. “You’re caring.” Kiss. “You always try your best.” Kiss. “You have a smile that warms my heart.” Kiss. “And you’re one of the most beautiful women I have ever seen.” This time, the kiss wasn’t broken, but held. While he had been telling her this, he had been helping lean her back. Now she was completely on her back with him on top of her. He maintained a slow, gentle pace for her. He would treat her like a princess. That’s what she deserved.

She melted into each kiss, her cheeks getting warmer and warmer. She had never been complimented like this. He made her heart skip with his love.

She ended on her back, beneath him, wrapping her arms tight around his neck as they kissed. It was like a dream come true.

“Roland,” she whispered, breaking the kiss to look into his eyes, “I love you.”

He gave her another kiss before pulling back, letting himself look at her. His beautiful new girlfriend. She looked amazing, even in her morning look with bed head.

“One more thing,” he started. “As I told you, the other girls all moved fast. Really fast. You don’t have to. What I’ve done with them or will do with them doesn’t matter for us. We’re going to move at your pace,” Roland said, emphasizing his focus on her. “You don’t have to do anything you don’t want to. Please remember that. This isn’t a competition. Not now, not ever.”

Bethany touched his face and nodded with a shy smile, “I’d like to take things slow. I just had my first kiss after all.”

She wanted him to know that, that he would be her first in every way. The other girls only had one thing to give. She had everything, having never dated. Never wanted to. Because since the moment she laid eyes on him in middle school she had been hopelessly in love.

“Ask and you shall receive,” he promised her. Honestly, he had no problem taking his time with her. Beth being happy was a million times more important than getting his ricks off. And if he ever needed to have sex, she had just agreed to letting him sleep with five other women. Not sleeping with one more would be more than easy. That said, he had his own share of fantasies involving Beth he’d love to play out. He’d just be patient until the time came.

For a while longer, he and Beth kissed like nothing else in the world mattered. But unfortunately, there was a world and they had bodies that needed more than just kisses to survive. “Shall we go get some breakfast Beautiful? I know an amazing dining room table that’s open this time of day.”

Beth giggled, happy to be in his arms. This was starting to feel like her dream come true. Even if she was sharing him.

“Breakfast sounds lovely Roland.”

She checked the time but they still had a few hours before class so she slipped her hand into his and let him lead her downstairs. The house was quieter than usual, most of the girls off to their Monday classes, all except Lela it seemed who was running around getting her bag ready and scarfing down food.

“I left you both some breakfast on the counter,” she grinned, hugging Beth then kissing his cheek, guessing she needed to be a little modest around Beth, “everyone left for school already. Except V. She called in sick to her classes today.”

She wiggled a phone out of her pocket and handed it to him. Veronica’s phone.

“She said she wanted you to look. We stayed up with her but eventually we all passed out in your room. I don’t think V slept though. And there’s replies from her asking him to go away. I didn’t look, she just asked me to warn you. She’s asleep now.”

She smiled at Beth then grabbed her bag and waved goodbye, heading out too.

Roland felt his stomach drop when he was handed the phone. He knew this wasn’t good. There was only one reason that he’d need to look through it. With hesitant moves, he took the phone from her.

“Beth, I’m sorry,” he told her. “I wanted us to go to class together today, do the whole couple thing, but I may have to focus on this. Tyler is back,” he explained. Then, knowing he couldn’t put it off any longer, he opened the phone and began to look through it.

Beth shook her head and squeezed his hand, "Roland, that is way more important than classes."

Lela nodded, hesitating at the door. This wasn't just about them being a couple now. Everyone in their group had made it their duty to protect Veronica. And all of them had witnessed how nasty he could be. Beth could still remember helping ice the bruises.

"I'll tell our professors you got sick over the weekend and make notes you can study later okay?" Beth offered, as Lela apologized and had to head out, having no one to take notes for her in her culinary class. Giving him a kiss that made her cheeks pink she grabbed her plate of breakfast and headed back upstairs to get ready and eat in her room, leaving Roland to handle this.

The messages on the phone were many, as were the missed calls and voicemails. At first they had been apologetic, pleading, and sad. But when she hadn't answered him yesterday they had become rude and mean. He could see a text from her asking him to just stay out of her life and he exploded after that. The next time she was able to text all she wrote was "leave me alone" which resulted in several rude and nasty messages about how she'd come crawling back.

"I'm with Roland now. Get out of my life." was her final text, and it wasn't certain if Veronica herself had had the guts to respond, or if one of the girls had written that. The next two dozen messages were aimed at Roland, trying to pick him and her apart. The voicemails were even worse. There was no more replies from her though. In his room she was sound asleep, bags under her eyes, wearing one of his favorite sweaters that reeked of him and went down to her thighs, likely to comfort her.

“I love you,” he told Beth in response to her offer to take notes and cover for him. He didn’t sense any anger or jealousy, just compassion. She may not like sharing him, but that act alone was enough to prove it wasn’t insurmountable.

With that out of the way, Roland quickly ate the prepared meal. He needed food, but he also knew his appetite wouldn’t last. The food vanished as he scrolled through pages of texts. He could almost relate to him at first, but that vanished when the insults started. The good may have actually been a good thing as his aggressive chewing helped him channel some of his anger. But when the plate was empty, he still wasn’t anywhere near done.

After far too long, he was done. He had read every text and listened to every voicemail. He felt emotionally drained, like he had just been exposed to the dregs of humanity. And it hadn’t even been directed at him. He could only imagine what V felt like experiencing this. So he got up, carrying her phone with him, and he went to his room.

There she was, sleeping in his shirt. It was a sight that should’ve made him happy, but the context made it so much darker. For the first time, he began to get a sense of understanding for the problems that she faced. It wasn’t just the awful words and the sense of betrayal. Tyler was robbing her of her ability to feel safe, even in her home. That was unacceptable. He stepped up to the sleeping girl, gently stroking her hair, making sure he didn’t wake her. He wanted to protect her, no matter what. So he stepped away and moved over to his computer, plugging her phone into it as he did.

To date, Roland could only ever react to Tyler. He couldn’t attack him for obvious reasons. And it’s not like engaging in petty insults would actually hurt him. But this gave Roland an opportunity. He’d be fighting dirty, but if it was for Veronica, he’d fight neck deep in mud if that’s what was needed. Luckily, he had made a real slip with one of his voice mails, promising to give her “another black eye.” That was possibly the most damning thing he could’ve said.

Twenty minutes later and the job was done. Roland had taken screenshots of the entire text exchange and the audio files of the voicemails. He then sent them to Tyler’s direct family members. His mother, his father, and his two sisters. All of them had just received proof as to what their bastard son had been doing. With that, Roland stood up, walked over to the bed, climbed in behind V, and wrapped his arms around her.

Veronica woke with a start, feeling arms going around her waist. For a moment a shred of panic tore through her, thinking it was Tyler. After all those messages and voicemails, it had been a struggle to close her eyes and sleep. Until she pulled Roland’s sweater on. It smelt like him, and the comfort of being wrapped in his scent had helped her get a few hours rest.

That panic faded instantly when she recognized the hands wrapped around her and turned, seeing Roland’s face. She wiggled to face him, wrapping her own arms around him and squeezing tight. Both her eyes were puffy, telltale signs she had been crying before she slept.

“If your here...Lela gave you my phone,” she whispered, rubbing her fingers back and forth across his lips, “can you stay home with me today? I’m...I don’t feel safe being alone at school today.”

“You don’t even need to ask,” he replied, pulling her in a bit closer. “Do you think I could ever leave you alone when you’re like this?” he asked. Roland wouldn’t have been able to hide the sadness in his voice even if he tried. He hated Tyler more than he thought possible at this moment, but he did his best to focus on V at this moment.

“Do you need anything? I’m staying by your side, but I can text the others. They’d be happy to help. All of them are,” he told her, trying to provide some degree of comfort.

“Thanks Roland,” she replied, getting pulled in tighter and shaking her head, “I just want to feel safe and today I really don’t. At least not till you came in. The girls already helped. Lela left food. Andrea is going to check in with my teachers for my work. Supposedly I have the ‘flu’.”

She made air quotes with her fingers then closed her eyes.

“Could you just talk to me? About anything. Tell me how things went with Beth?”

When she asked about Beth, he could t help but smile. He imagined that was answer enough, but he wasn’t going to deprive her of the story. “I went to her room last night to talk to her. I did what I could to be as honest as possible. She didn’t take it well at first. There was crying. Quite a bit of it. Not easy to watch, I can promise you that,” he said, his voice making his distaste for the display obvious. Not at all to blame Beth. It was his own self he hated for making her experience that.

“I slept in the same bed as her last night. She spent the whole time in my arms. When we woke up, we talked a bit more, and she said yes. She wants to take it slow, going on proper dates before anything happens. Though she did finally have her first kiss,” he said, giving a bit of a smirk. The cheerier subject to help to improve his mood, at least a little.

Veronica smiled, “it sounds like the night wasn’t a waste then. I can’t blame her for being nervous but I’m glad she said yes. It was easier than I thought talking with the girls last night. I don’t want her left out of our group.”

She kissed his chin then yawned, “will you stay with me while I sleep? I barely got a wink last night. And I’m...nervous he might call again.”

“Until you tell me you feel safe, I’ll be by your side,” he promised her, responding to her action with a kiss on her forehead. “Now sleep. You need it and you’ve earned it.” For his part, Roland wasn’t near tired enough to fall asleep, having gotten plenty of rest the night before, something he felt immensely guilty about now. Still, he’d stay awake and watch over her. He’d do some studying on his phone and watch to see if anything happened with Tyler. But if she needed something, he would be there.

Back
Top Bottom