Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

[DnD 5e] Homebrew high fantasy fun in Etindra!

StarSiren

Super-Earth
This will be our OOC chatter thread. We will use this primarily to coordinate with posting for each other. Welcome to the party!

Also, here is a map of the world! We are starting in the upper right hand corner, in the hex of a city just south of Emerald River. You may need to zoom in a bit to see it properly though.

The World of Etindra

Notes about the world:

As every world does, Etindra has bouts of war separated by decades of peace. The most recent war was in the west, near the Narrow river and the surrounding marshes and jungles. The fey living in that lush area rose up, along with many of the villages there, to demand that the local Lord expand in a different direction. He was selling plots of land he didn't own to lesser nobles and promising lucrative agricultural rights to those brave enough to "tame" the wilderness. It sparked into war when a nymph beguiled a neighboring Lord to fight on her behalf. The two warring factions left a trail of death across the land, culminating in what is now known as The Jungle of Blood.

Most of Etindra's nobles sent aid in the form of soldiers to fight or humanitarian parties to help restore the helpless and now homeless people in the area. In the end, it was the King of Etindra who brought a halt to the madness. The scheming Lord who stole land from the fey was stripped of his title and his lands were dispersed. The infatuated Lord was cured of his enchantment and his lands were allowed to remain in tact, but his armies were taken and given to other nobles. The King then signed a treaty with the Nymph Queen which outlined the boundaries of her realm and the punishment involved for those who dared crossover into her territory without permission.

That was seven years ago.

The King of Etindra is highly regarded by most of his subjects, as is his son, Prince Byron. The Royal Palace was built against a mountainous backdrop, near The Ruins of Azar's Hold. The steep mountains there and high elevation provide protection from all but dragon attacks. Cider River is the main water route to the capital city of Gradin, but there are also several roads and well-worn trails.

Small skirmishes between feuding Lords are common, and they rarely require outside aid or assistance. When they do, it is always neighboring Lords who respond first, as they are most likely to be affected. When the situation grows dire or continues for too long, the Royal Guard is sent for, but most skirmishes reach a diplomatic solution before that happens.

Humans and Elves are the majority races, making up a combined 50% of the people on the continent. The remaining common races and the races of the fey make up the next 40%. All other races make up the remaining 10%. Common is the language of the realm, but noble-born folk and merchants are expected to know Elven or another trade language (Gnomish, Drawrven, Orc, Goblin, Halfling). Enterprising or Diplomatic minds may also choose to learn one of the ancient languages (Draconic, Infernal, Sylvan, Undercommon). Only the most astute scholar studies the other languages, and even then, he finds little use for them outside of deciphering texts or speaking directly to a deity.

Some of the place-names make me think of Princess Bride: "The Keep of Fiery Ruin isn't all that bad; some quite lovely views of the river. I wouldn't necessarily want to build a holiday house there, mind you"

I suspect Midian comes from the Shield peaks. His people will have a rich and storied culture, but to those of you that don't speak it it'll probably sound like Klingon. In short, a language that has its own deep and symbolic rhythms, but even the poetry soudns like "Raaargh! I WILL BITE YOUR FACE OFF"

Some pretty cool world-building there. I think I'll have Roland be from some lands near Gradin, with him possibly spent a decent amount of time in the capital in his younger years.

I'm thinking the Harringtons are the noble family in the north east of the trollfen river. Nice open land for cavalry.

If it is okay I would like to take the area just nw of where the Trollfen and Emerald intersect. There are mountains, forest, and the sea is close by which would be useful in teaching certain trades.

Of course :) as you can all see, only some major landmarks are listed on the map and only the larger cities have icons. I haven't named all the important places and people either. So yes, by all means, feel free to make this map your own in order to better customize your stories and characters. I encourage city, town and village names as well as minor local histories.

Each Lord's property size also varies, so some areas may have many territories in a small area while others may be quite vast. Some neighboring Lords work together for the good of the community while others are more selfish and seek only to improve their own. Some have treaties with the local monstrous tribes and others endeavor to destroy them. As always, wars are rarely fought for noble reasons. Political gain, money, power and resources are often what spark the battles. Many of them are later masked under the guise of a righteous cause, but that is only a ploy to give the victor just cause. And of course, there are independent villages who wish only to govern themselves.

I should note that slavery of every kind is alive and well in this world, and most every major city has an undercity or black market where you can find the unsavory things in life. Also, the current monarchy is significantly more diplomatic than the monarchies of the past. You might say that the King is endeavoring to fix the injustices of his ancestors. Prince Byron is 23. Byron's father, the King, is 47 and he ascended to the throne at 16, when his father (Byron's grandfather) was assassinated. I should also note that since the King is human, he is recognized by other races as "the human King", because some other races have their own ruling systems (elves, drow, dwarves, dragons, many monstrous races, etc).

But yes, feel free to have fun and really make this world your own. Be creative with it :)

I actually took lands to the south (I thought the icecap was sea.... sorry just got off work) But yeah if this area is too big or already planned to be used please inform me and I will pick a different region (star would be the main area of the school/estate.)

Untitled_zpsaw3ct7g0.png

Aradis spent his hermitage up in the northern end of the Shield Peaks, so that the starting point is probably the first real bastion of civilization he's been to since he isolated himself. Originally from a town on the opposite side of the mountains, near the Pene forest.

There will be a starter thread up tonight :)

EDIT: The Starter thread is up! Go and make posts! Once everyone is done, I will bring us to the next step!

Quick question, who exactly is Chett? The description in the interest thread made him sound like a random passerby or a guard or something.

Ah, he is the local town greeter guard. He stands near the main road into town and points out places of interest. He also chats a bit with most newcomers to get a feel for their general nature. He's a friendly sort. Also, he's human and middle-aged.

I edited my post from the other day I did not realize the Gnome would appear and offer to help us get into the Govoner's Mansion

That's ok. I worked around it but I'll check your edit. Haze is your contact, your get it of jail free card, and your life saver should the situation turn dire for you all. She also helps move the story along and I can use her as another way to introduce places, foes and npcs.

Huzzah we have all posted! Haze will post and address those of you wishing to go straight to see the governor. Anyone wishing to do something else first, feel free to make your posts separate from everyone else. Don't worry.. we'll meet back up again later if we seperate.

Heather, you do remember Chaunteah and what the goddess stands for. You also remember that she is popular among farmers, gardeners, those who worship the earth and those who love the summer.

So, the group of children have pickpocketed you. I rolled their sleight of hand checks vs your passive perceptions (except Dalren, who was on the lookout already). If I missed someone actively looking out, let me know. The results were as follows:

7 cp taken from Marius, 2 more coppers failed to be taken (26 vs 8 passive, unseen by anyone)
4 cp taken from Dalren (26 vs 21 passive & 17 rolled, unseen by anyone)
6 cp taken from Heather (17 vs 11 passive, seen by Dalren, may drop it depending on his actions)
7 sp taken from Roland (20 vs 13 passive, seen by Dalren, may drop it depending on his actions)
6 sp failed to be taken from Rini (14 vs 14 passive, seen by Dalren but dropped it escaping)
3 cp failed to be taken from Aradis (8 vs 12 passive, seen by everyone but dropped it escaping)

I am assuming that you all have a bit of coinage in a pouch somewhere on you. I am also assuming that it is not all in gold coins because the common merchant folk mostly deal in silvers and coppers. If you carry only gold coins, then the amounts taken (or not taken) are in gold coins instead.

Oh! If it was on the lookout, it can roll. Otherwise use the passive perception (10+perception... +proficiency if it applies). The result will tell you if it saw anything or not since i posted what the sneak thieves rolled.

Passive perception 13. So no more then Heather.

Unless Keen smell applies. If they reek enough maybe....

Back
Top Bottom