Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Blue Eyes White Lover (Fox)

Ryou turned those doe eyes back to the review mirror and just caught a glance at ocean blues returning it. The simple response was actually sort of... calming. Irritation is what he'd expect from a man like Seto Kaiba when it came to a mouse like himself. "Pick out a car?" At least his voice was steadying. The world was spinning twice as fast now, but he was quickly realizing that it would always be this fast, and he'd have to catch up or he'd get left behind. Far, far behind. "Shouldn't I learn how to drive a car before looking for one? I wouldn't be able to test drive anything."

He paused, then smiled at the eager teen. "But I suppose looking couldn't hurt, right?" Ryou moved to continue, answer his boss, but was cut off by the computer system. "It's just up the street and to the right. You'll see a large 'Sunrise Hamachi Grill' sign." Just as he said so, it came into view just over the tops of a few buildings. "I know you mentioned Spicy Tuna Rolls being your favorite, but I'd really suggest the eel. They'll likely let you pick one from the tank. Actually, the majority of their seafood is kept alive until it meets the kitchen."

A short nod was his response to the information as Mokuba cheered a hissing little 'yes~' for himself. Seto's attention shifted once the sign came into view, which was why he'd only offered the quick nod. Most places in thia part of town relied on street parking for their patrons. So he was a little surprise this one had carved itself out a parking lot and pushed the building back. Though when he realized how full the lot actually was he saw the necessity.

The area he chose was slightly further away than most. However it was an area where he could park the car at an angle, taking up a good portion of two spots. And he had little doubt it could be seen from inside.

Mokuba had spent the last minute or so trying to console the mouthy computer quietly. And while his initial comment didn't go well with as accusatory as it was, "Well you were trying to take us the wrong way." It seemed he managed through the rest because as Kaiba parked the music shut off and she spoke again.

"Dont be too long, boys. It's not polite to leave a gal waiting."

Seto shut off the car and popped the trunk at the same time. And while Mokuba hurried out and closed the door behind him to run around it, the taller man stepped out and lifted the seat for Ryou. Unagi was also one of his favorites. So having sushi made with fresh water eel straight from the tank was a prospect he could appreciate. This was when he chose to make comment about the information he'd been given about the establishment because of it. "I suppose I can give them a chance," he offered in that air of his that always seemed to sound like he thought of himself to highly for reason even given his status. "I didn't think there was a place in this area that served even remotely fresh food." Though those sharp eyes of his landed on Mokuba upon saying as much.

The teen hauled Seto's briefcase into his grasp and clasped the trunk. Waving him off he breathed out, "Yeah yeah. Its my fault. I always choose fast food places. I get it~" He turned a smile on Ryou once the small man had gotten out and went back to his side of the car. Setting down the case he and Seto mirrored each other in unbuttoning the canvas and pulling the top up over the car. "I'm really excited actually. I've never been to this place. I didn't even know it was here."

In learned quick movements the car was sealed with its top on and the teen was picking tha t briefcase back up. "So do you come here a lot Ryou? It sounds like you really like it here." The albino man had said previously that he'd eat there every day if he could. So he couldn't help but wonder how close he was able to manage as much given his liking.

As Seto parked Ryou couldn't stop a slight frown on his lips. Taking up two spots was incredibly rude, and he knew from the chit chat of others that it was incredibly annoying to find one car in two spots, when the rest of the lot was completely full; and while the lot wasn't packed just yet, the rush would be here soon. He didn't say anything though, he could kind of understand why, getting accidental dings in this car would be a tragedy... Probably. He could only assume this car was just as expensive as everything else. He just had no idea how expensive. He didn't know much about cars.

Shaking himself from his thoughts, the man slipped out of the back seat when the front was pulled up for him. His own brief case was carried, and he pondered over when Seto's had gotten in the trunk. He didn't linger on it. He was Seto Kaiba, he could do pretty much anything.

Except maybe beat Yugi in a card game.

That thought was kept to himself too.

"I'm glad," he replied to the CEO's haphazard comment. 'Giving it a chance' was a very good thing when it came to Seto Kaiba. "Yes, I used to visit every week. It used to be a very small establishment. Actually, when I was in high school, it was a food truck that sold Kabobs! It's grown a lot since then, so it got harder and harder to visit. I didn't really have the funds; but I make it a habit to come here at least once a month."

Ryou took a moment to run a hand through his hair to fix it before he continued. "I like the new menu though; their Filet Mignon is simply delectable. But I must confess, it's their desserts that I enjoy most. Do you like Profiteroles, Mokuba? They're much like cream puffs."

Mokuba seemed to be perfectly riveted by the amall history lesson, even going so far as to make a small 'ooooh' noise and giving the place another looking over. Everyone had to start somewhere of course, but it was still pretty neat.

The attention of soft ocean eyes fell back on Ryou as he explained how he had to start eating there less and less. And it put a pout on previously smiling lips to hear he wasn't able to enjoy this thing he really liked nearly as often as he wanted to. But before he could make any comment on it, or rather before he could find the words, the subject was moved from once again. And his excitement went back to bubbling. "I haven't. Ooh! I wanna try though! What--"

The teen was cut off. They'd made it inside by the time he responded; led along quickly by the elder Kaiba as he moved and Mokuba followed somewhat blindly. What cut him off the the heavy 'whoosh' of a huge puff of fire coming from one of the grills. Large eyes grew even larger and the briefcase was set down without thought as he hurried closer, though not so close as to bother the dining party. "Oh wow! What was that?!... That was so cool!"

What started off as worry over the stifled explosion blossomed quickly into utter excitement as he noticed no one had been hurt. And suddenly he was looking everywhere. "Look at this place! It's really nice in here. OOH!" He scurried over to the 'aquarium', palms pressing against glass and nose nearly doing the same. "Look Seto! Here's the tank!"

Kaiba was, of course, much calmer as they entered the establishment. And while large eyes hadbeen on Ryou as he spoke so had sharp ones. Although they did wander as they stepped in and Mokuba turned into a kid in a candy store. "Yes Mokuba. Amazingly I do see the large tank that's right in front of us," he chimed in snarkily.

Mokuba peeked at him and noticed the smirk on his face. And he quickly turned back around. "Poor guys," he puffed out. And then something else caught his attention. "Hey, look at that!" And he was off again.

Seto's attention didn't follow him this time however. Cerulean eyes instead landed on the albino man. "Stepping back and speaking of funds," he offered shortly as he pulled the small black book and pen from his coast's inner pocket. "You reminded me."

Pen was twirled expertly in the same way Mokuba had played with that market of his. And that book was opened in the same moment. His penmanship didnt suffer in the least through he quick scribbling he did across the check. "I almost forgot to give you your signing bonus. It's the standard sum of ten percent of your base salary. And since I'm on the subject, when we've released the game and gotten the projections is when you'll get your bonus. That's what it'll be based on. You won't get any royalties until later on once we've sold enough to figure in the proper percentage though."

Attempting to answer the young Kaiba's questions was for naught, it seemed. Every time he started to speak a new one was posed or the teen's attention was drawn somewhere else. He wasn't one to talk though, he knew he'd been just as excited about the car and the computer system speaking through it. And his own attention was forced onto the elder brother quickly enough. A curious sound left his lips as a check book was pulled out and a few numbers were written down with a flourish.

Ryou nearly choked.

It wasn't just a few numbers. It was one number, only one, but boy was it a big one! He was careful to keep his expression as cool as possible as Seto was thanked and the very large check was tucked safely into his wallet.

His name was called with joy and familiarity, and the albino man smiled while greeting a young waitress who returned it a little too eagerly. She was obviously just clutching onto her own calm with someone as famous his boss visiting them. They were lead to a table that was meant for at least ten, but it was all they had to offer for their esteemed guest.

Seto didn't say anything else as he handed the check over. But he was staring at the albino male in a way that seemed somewhat thoughtful. A woman's voice approached them and his attention turned there however.

Mokuba popped right back up. "Hey Ryou. They know you pretty well here?" As he asked he waved whimsicaly to the woman. "That's pretty cool." Of course, the Kaiba boys were used to people knowing their names. But that was them.

Seto remained quiet as they were taken to their seats. When he took his own the pose he took on was almost relaxed; in the same way it had been in his office previously. He lifted the menu and looked over it for a moment before looking back on the other two. "Order whatever you want. It doesn't matter to me."

Mokuba had been looking at him quite expectantly. It might have been what urged him to say as much, but who knew. A ridiculously large smile crossed the teen's face and he looked up at the girl who'd seated them. "Is there a way for us to sample everything? Or should I just order one of each thing on the menu?" The cheery tone was curious, but the somewhat silly chuckle on the end made it hard to tell of he were serious.

That is, until he looked at Bakura. "Whatcha think? It's a pretty big menu. But if all three of us eat off it there shouldn't be too much left over to handle."

An exasperated huff left the older Kaiba's lips. But there was a wry smile of amusement on them as he set down his own menu. Then he was also looking at Ryou.

He looked as though he might be about to say or ask something himself but was cut off as the 'KC' logo on his trench coat's lapel started a slow blink. He saw it out of the corner of his eye as he'd turned his attention to Ryou. A somewhat indignant noise left his chest as he curled his fingers around it. "Speak." The single word sounded as utterly annoyed as it was; and it was entirely possible that the fact that it sounded like an owner ordering their dog was purposeful as well.

"I'm sorry to interrupt, Mr. Kai--"

The CEO cut him off with a grunt. "How many times do I have to tell you to save the pleasantries? If you have something to say, spit it out."

"O-of course Sir. It's just that we have a small problem..." The way he said it didn't sound as 'small' as he was attempting to make it seem.

"Can't I get away for a couple of hours without some sort of catastrophe happening?" There was the shortest of pauses where the man on the other end stumbled a bit before he added, "Don't answer that."

Seto pushed back his seat and stood with just as much grace as his upbringing would garner. "Excuse me," he grumbled in that tone of his. "I have a catastrophe to manage." Sharp Ocean eyed travelled over both of his lunch dates before he gave a shake of his head. "Feel free to order without me. Clean the place out for all I care."

With that he turned and stalked away, seeming to want a private place to take on this 'small problem' of his. "I'll be back shortly."

Once he'd rounded the corner Mokuba had nothing but a warm smile to offer Ryou. "You'll get used to his special brand of manners," he teased cheerily. "But I can translate until then. See, that was one of his many versions of 'I'm sorry'; you know, for the interruption and all."

He shined that innocent, warm smile up on the woman who was waiting on them. "Well you heard him," he added with a chuckle. "I'm gonna order one of everything... an order of everything, I mean. And you can tell the cooks to go ahead and make it how they think it'll taste best." He paused in thought for a moment before adding, "Oh. And an extra order of the unagi sushi. That's probably what he'll focus on the most since Ryou brought it up before."

He was only quiet long enough to either let Ryou order extra or say that was enough. Because as the waitress scurried off to warn the cooks he was studying him a little. "I might sound a little naggy at this point, so let me know if I get annoying or anything. But I figure the more I tell you right off the better."

With a thoughtful look the teen leaned forward and sipped from his straw before he continued with his bout of advice. Palms landed under his jaw to support him as he pulled back just a little and simply continued shining that warmth of his. Mokuba had no problem telling Ryou anything he could to help. It was actually really refreshing to have someone show that kind of interest in his big brother. And even if it were just in order to keep his job, it wasn't like anyone else ever had thought to really.

Plus, it just so happened that he was the foremost expert on all things Seto. And he really liked the conversation topic at the very least. "I got something," he finally said while perking up a little. "Seto and I both are around people who are real big fakers. People tend to try and be whatever they think we want to see them as. And I mean just about everyone does that. It gets really boring and annoying at the best of times. And at the very least it's pretty offensive. So here's what i got."

As he sat back up, he poked a finger into the air to show his candid offering. And of course, that cheery smile remained. "Just be yourself Ryou ," he offered simply. But it wasn't like he wouldn't elaborate.

He leaned forward and played with his straw again with that same thoughtful look on his face. "The world is really full of big fat phonies, yah know. After a while you kinda get used to it. But it's really refreshing to have someone just be themselves around us. He hasn't ever said anything like that but I can tell he feels the same way."

He chuckled again, scrunching his face comically as he finished. "It wouldn't matter if you were the clumsiest, dorkiest person in the world. Being that would be better than anything else you could pretend to be. I'm pretty sure that's why he gets along so well with Yugi n' Joey, n' them. They make real good friennn...emies." He had to think that one out and correct himself. It would be bad enough if Seto heard him call Yugi his friend, but he's probably never hear the end of it with Joey in that categories. "Yeah, frenemies is a good word for it I think."

He laughed. It was warm and soft as a string of chiming bells as he noted the silliness in that last part. But he calmed down quickly enough and landed an adamant, hopeful look on the albino male. "Anyway, do you get what I'm saying, Ryou?" He should probably make sure of that before going on. Although he was pretty sure he'd put it out there in no uncertain terms.

"Of course," he answered with a slight nod. "As I said, I've been visiting here for years," he stared while settling into his seat between Mokuba and Seto. It vaguely occurred to him that he shouldn't be sitting between the brother, but it was simply how they'd filed in. "Our waitress, Cheria is the daughter of the owner," he explained. "We aren't exactly friends, but we know each other pretty well."

Ryou laughed at the prospect of buying everything on the menu. The first thought that came to him was the cost, but considering his companions that went out the window, but it was still a large amount of food so he believed it to be a joke... It seemed Mokuba was serious. "Well... there is a lot," he began, but drifted off in thought. For such a small person Ryou could eat. Yugi and the others had joked about him joining an eating contest. "I wouldn't mind taking home anything left over," he answered.

He paused and casually listened in on the conversation between Seto and his coat, and only nodded his agreement when he made his exit. "Please call me if I can assist," he added before the CEO left.

"I think I'm understanding him so far," he replied to Mokuba. "His tone changes when he's actually angry."

"Please bring out the desserts after we have finished out entrees," he added to the woman before she disappeared. "The icecreams will melt and the cakes will get cold if we get them now," he explained, then kept quiet for the teen's advice.

While he spoke Ryou kept a thoughtful look on his hands cupped in his lap. It was habitual for him to take a slightly hunched pose while being spoken to. He'd been able to avoid it so far, but when he didn't have much room to reply he reverted back to the pose Bakura had drilled into him. Stay small, and you might not get hurt. This time, however, he was simply lost in thought while taking in the words offered to him.

Frienemies... What a funny word, but it fit the relationship perfectly.

Did he fit in that category? Of everyone in the group he was the only one to be on a first name basis with Seto. Even if it had started as a way to mentally and emotionally torture his employees. Still, the thought made him smile, and he sat up a little straighter to beam it back at Mokuba. "Yes, I do," he answered with a nod, then laughed softly. "I am pretty sure he already thinks of me as a dorky person. I ran down six floors on the railings of the stair well just to get him his drink in the allotted time." Ryou lifted a hand and rubbed the back of his head through the high pony tail. "I didn't want to bother him with any questions, but the break room was just down the hall."

Mokuba was perfectly attentive as the man spoke. He was glad the man was noticing things on his own too. It'd be really difficult if Mokuba had to explain everything for him. In fact, it'd probably be impossible to help him in the end. Although he'd also noticed something new about his brother today. It came in the form of his ability to relax some around the albino male. He couldn't tell if it was cause they kinda knew him already or not. But he couldn't ever remember Seto getting even close to comfy so soon with an assistant.

As he remade the note to himself silently, he nodded his agreement on the treats. Even if they managed to eat all the food this place had to offer he doubted there would be any of the treats left over in the end. Both he and his brother liked sweet things. Although the older Kaiba didn't indulge in them as much.

It was entirely possible Seto thought the entire world was 'dorky', really. But he doubted there was a need to point that out either. The smile that drew across his lips as he was given the chance to respond was reserved. It might have been an odd sight for the outgoing boy to be attempting to hold it back. But it would become evident in a matter of moments why it happened in the first place.

He was frozen like that for that momoment. Although when an indignantly sputter broke him into laughter heavy enough to make him grip his side's and nearly fall over there was no holding back anymore. "Aw man..." He gasped out heavily. "Thats--thats great!" Undoubtedly the teen had gotten a a nice visual of the happening himself.

His laughter dwindled into chuckles that finally fell into an amused twinkle in his eyes as he looked the shorter male over. "Does he know?" The question was a bit forced, as if he might still be having a bit of trouble containing himself. "I meam, did he see that?" Mokuba would have loved to be a fly on the wall right then if he had. He actually wasn't entirely sure what his brother's response would have been to that. It left him curious despite his own amusement.

A heavy pout puffed out his cheeks as Mokuba burst into hysterics. Thinking back on it, he should have known better. Of course there would be a break room on Seto's floor! There was one on every floor. Having the teen laughing at him was disheartening, and yet... Ryou found his smile starting to return. It was contagious.

In the end the man was chuckling, his cheeks a vibrant pink. "Yes, he knows; he seems to know everything," he answered, then released a thoughtful hum, eyes turned upwards and looking over the ceiling tiles as he pondered. "I don't think so. He didn't follow me... And I really hope he didn't figure out a way to watch me. Then I'd really look like an idiot."

Mokuba's head tilted just a little. Well, Ryou hadnt spent a whole lot of time in the office yet so it wasn't exactly odd that he didn't know about it. But it was a little curious. He decided to share. "Seto has access to just about everything company wise in his office," he told him lightly. "That includes security measures like the cameras and stuff. I don't think he could run the company the way he does without that." A thoughtful look crossed his face as a finger landed on his chin and his eyes turned up and to the side. "Although I don't know how he can get any work done with all that stuff around to play with. I know I couldn't."

He chuckled again but paused as he noticed his older brother lean past the wall he'd walked behind, phone in hand as he spoke into it. It drew a warm smile across his face. Mostly because he could tell he was checking on them. This was supposed to be their time together after all. And even though his bog brother might not seem like the type, he did have a propensity for taking care of and making sure the younger Kaiba was happy.

He was probably trying to wrap this 'problem up as quick as he could because of it too. It worried him sometimes how much Seto focused on him over work matters when it really came down to it. But at the same time he knew it really shouldnt. The man knew how to balance things out so they worked out in the end on both fronts. "I bet if he saw it he woulda laughed too. Although he might try to hide it." He chuckled warmly and his attention landed back on Ryou. But before it could fully the first round of food they'd managed to cook up before continuing was brought to their table. "Oh woooow! It all looks so good!" The happy whine was coped out and he couldn't help but switch gears at the sight of it.

He lifted a hand to his mouth and called out to his brother. "Hurry, hurry Seto! You'll be sorry if we eat everything without yoooou." The man offered a short gesture, raising his hand as if to wave and giving a nod. The nod that came with it had that smile breaking out over his face again. Cause when Seto turned his back and shifted behind the wall again he knew it meant he was going to try to wrap things up even quicker for his sake. He knew he shouldn't push him, but he really couldn't help it through his excitement.

That smile landed on Ryou and turned devious. "Let's see if we can," he teased.

Cameras... He hadn't thought about the cameras! Ryou's pale skin lit up like a Christmas tree as he pictured his boss watching him make a complete and utter fool of himself. He slumped in defeat and a pitiful little sound was made in the back of his throat as he thought back to every moment in that stair way. It didn't take long for that embarrassed expression to puff up. Seto had seen everything he'd done, and still scolded him for taking too long! The exchange between the brothers was missed as he bubbled up in offense... Only to have it popped by the welcomed addition of food.

While he frequently visited this place, he'd never seen this much of their food out at once! In fact, he hadn't seen this amount of food readily available to him since his return from Egypt.

When Mokuba looked over to tease him, the man had not only piled up food onto his plate, but his mouth was stuffed full already. The color that had washed away returned full force, and Ryou struggled to swallow. He finally managed with a moderately loud 'bwaa~,' then grinned sheepishly at the younger Kaiba. A few pieces of rice stuck to his lips and he wiped them away on a napkin hurriedly. He would have apologized, if fact he had just been about to, but Mokuba had told him to be himself. So he laughed nervously and decided to try his luck. "I bet I can eat more before he gets back than you can," he goaded before stuffing his mouth full of food all over again.

Mokuba pressed just a little in surprise as he looked over at the man and found his face already stuffed with food. There was no stopping the heavy, jovial chuckle that lifted any eight he might have had previously off his shoulders. He could tell that the two of them were going to get along pretty darn well considering everything that had happened up until now. But what was more; he could see, given time, his brother getting along with him too. And to a much higher extent than with the others.

The thoughtful look that befell his face for the moment popped as he gasped and preened all over again, the challenge taking far too long for his liking to register. "H-hey! No fair! You got a head start!" The end of the complaint was muffled by the food he began shoveling into his own mouth.

It wasn't long after that when the elder Kaiba returned. An awkward look crossed hos face as he stopped behind his seat and watched the two down dishes at lightning speed. Well he wasn't wrong... Disgusted wasn't the word for it. Although somewhat devastated by their manners might have set well.

With a huff he managed to plop into his chair somewhat elegantly. And reaching in to the fray of grabbing hands came out with the large plate of unagi. He set it on the table nearest him and fully opposite from the other two. As if something so menial could really ruffle the feathers of Seto Kaiba. "Thats right children," he scolded almost playfully. "Get it all out of your systems now. If you act like that at dinner tonight I'll be taking us right back home without."

Despite the playful tone they'd actually probably be kicked out before he could escort them out if they acted like that at the restaurant they were going to that night. Also despite sounding almost perfectly agitated his relaxed stance and the way he popped the sushi he'd pulled aside for himself into his mouth easily stated he could care less. In fact, even if Ryou couldn't see it, Mokuba could tell Seto was even a little entertained even with the teasing.

His taste buds and stomach hadn't been this happy in a long time! Up until now he'd lived modestly on a basic living wage. He had a nice apartment, average attire, and he wasn't exactly starving; but this was a feast, and with his new salary he promised himself that he would have more of them. Perhaps not quite this big, but he would treat himself some... Though, a part of him believed he had no right to something so good. He didn't deserve it, and he never would.

Ryou jumped when a new hand reached in and grabbed the untouched unagi. He swallowed thickly, nearly choking on the unchewed food as he did so. Meekly, the man pulled his arm back and shrunk a little in his seat. He wanted to keep eating, and not just because he was still hungry, but because of what Mokuba told him. Be yourself.

'You're disgusting.'

'Stop...'

Pretty brown eyes chanced a look at the CEO, who was relaxed in his own seat. Seto wasn't angry, mildly irritated at best. Ryou smiled a little and reached out to grab another untouched plate to hand it over to his boss. "Their pot stickers are good too," he offered. He knew angry... Ryou Bakura knew angry, and the man beside him certainly wasn't. So he returned to gorging himself alongside Mokuba.

Mokuba managed to swallow his own mouth full to join the chorus. "Mm mmhm! Sooo good~" he hummed cheerily before stuffing his face all over again.

"Heh. I'm surprised you can taste it." The tease was pressed on both of them. But the young president wasn't complaining. He did take a minute to study the potstickers before trying one himself. But he did try it. And he ate two more before moving back to his first choice. He could at least admit the food wasn't horrible. And by picking at a few things here and there he did just that. He also ordered a second plate of the filet mignon since it was actually pretty miniscule for the three of them.

It was around then that Mokuba had slowed down on his eating. And his attention turned to the albino man. "This is good too. But you should order the filet mignon at Seto's favorite place. I've never had anything like it. It's one of my favorite dishes. There's not a whole lot of food in the portions they serve but oh man the taste is to die for." The food was slowly running down. And by the time stomachs were filling nicely the teen had sampled at least one of everything. That is, aside from things he already knew he findamentally didnt like. Although some.of those things Seto had sampled instead.

Eventually the waitress returned to ask how everything was. And Mokuba went right back to chirping happily about the meal to her. When she turned to ask Seto if everything was alright he gave her a simple nod. Though it was mostly because he'd filled his mouth with another roll of sushi. She also made sure with Ryou before asking if they'd like their desserts soon. Momuba' s attention drew to Seto, who turned his attention back down on his plate nonchalantly. And Mokuba informed her that'd be great, even more cheerily as he seemed to deem his brother's reaction as an agreement.

Then his attention fell on Ryou all over again after he'd had a few more good bites. "Hey Ryou. Thanks for bringing us here. It's really great... right Seto?" Big blue eyes turned on his brother almost as if he were scolding him for something. The man wasnt big on small talk, as mokuba had explained, so he was attempting to get.some out of him.

"Better than where we usually go," he teased back cruelly. When the boy stuck his to hue out at his brother Kaiba's attention turned to Ryou. After a few moments of staring again however it shifted back to his plate and eating, seeming to think better of whatever he might have been about to say; or perhaps not having come up with anything.

Last edited:
After that, the day had gone on in a blur. The Kaiba brothers were constantly moving! It was easier to keep up with them than he thought it would be, but Mokuba's friendly chatter helped to keep him grounded. They talked about random topics ranging from duel monsters and current events to each other's likes and dislikes. They traveled around the city so the brothers could have their bonding time, and was flattered that they would let him share in it.

The majority of their time was spent shopping. He'd eventually convinced Mokuba to wait on car shopping, as it would be much more practical to wait until he had a license. So, instead, they visited game stores and malls. He'd adamantly refused to accept Seto's offer to buy him new clothing. It was only after a long stare down, and the CEO calmly (and a tad snarkily) pointed out that Ryou's 'urchin clothes' wouldn't do for his assistant. Ryou tried on suits and dress wear and saved himself some guilt by not looking at the price tag. Then the short albino boy figuratively dragged Mokuba into his favorite hobby store, where he purchased new paints and brushes that he now finally had the money to afford.

All of their items were tucked away in the trunk of Seto's 'ash-something-or-another' car. The sun had gone down and Ryou was exhausted, but he hid it perfectly behind cheery laughs and smiles that weren't faked in the least. He couldn't help but be happy. He'd never felt so included and... Occasionally Seto would glance his way, and no matter how surly it seemed to be, it gave him some weird bubbly feeling.

"My apartment building is just down the street and to the right," he offered helpfully. While he hadn't wanted his boss to see the shitty place he lived, there was no getting out of this ride home. The man was trying not to be bashful at the not so pleasant part of town. He wasn't in the slums, but it really wasn't too far off.

Embarrassment vanished the moment they turned the corner. The street lit up with blue and yellow police lights. Thin eyebrows pinched together the closer they got. "H-hey... That's my building," he muttered, pointing at the men walking in and out of the front door, talking on walkies and taking down notes. Ryou bit his lower lip nervously when the image of his coworker being dragged out of Seto's office cruelly danced across his mind.

Last edited:
They hadn't gone to dinner as Seto had demanded. Well, they had eaten dinner, but Mokuba had convinced the steel-eyed man to a sit down in one of the crowded, loud mall eatery areas. They had plenty to choose from with the snack kiosks and cubbied restaurants that filled the food court. The older brother didn't eat much, choosing to force down several fries Mokuba had ordered for himself along with his own meal. They had plenty of left overs for later, so the teen wasn't put out. In fact, he seemed perfectly pleased with how easily the man caved to his want, and chose not to speculate aloud that he was about half sure that the reason there wasn't much of a fuss had to do with their third party member's comfort as well. It wasn't as if Bakura were used to the type of places that fit the elder Kaiba's tastes. That much had been obvious throughout their shopping adventures when they would head into much higher end stores than he was used to and things he didn't necissarily want were pushed on him anyway.

Besides the win itself, he seemed even more pleased as Seto displayed his annoyance with the more animation than usual as well. A heaved huff and shake of his head had been given toward the teen's happy cheer as he 'won' the incredibly short battle. It told the boy that dispite the addition of their new friend the man was about as relaxed as he ever allowed himself to get when it was only just the two of them. There were several reasons he was glad for this. And he figured he might bring some of it up to the third wheel should he ask more on Seto when they hung out again.

To be perfectly honest Mokuba was pretty winded by the end of the day as well. Being pretty active it probably wasn't as bad as it was for Ryou. To say the least, he was incredibly satisfied with their day. Perhaps more than usual, though to spare his brother he only thanked him cheerily and flashed a grateful smile back on Ryou as well as they were driving him home. If he didn't seem get the picture, he could always thank him the next time they saw each other.

Having Ryou there did three distinct things that made their outing so much better than usual. It gave Mokuba to horse around with comfortably. It took a great load of pressure off Seto in the need to entertain him. And, most importantly, because he was so new to both their habits and his job, it created a venue for them to include the elder brother in plenty of their conversations. Of course he never fooled around or joked with them. But it kept him loose and included him to the point that he was comfortable with. If he were being perfectly honest, it was probably the most the two brothers had spoken on an outing like this one. Because despite how close they were, they did tend to have some problems communicating properly.

Mokuba's cheery smile was wiped away the moment they turned that corner. Seto's posture stiffened and he rose in his seat just slightly as well, sharp eyes focusing on the movement carefully. And when he pulled over, forced to take the opposite side of the road as he was waved along by an officer, Seto was quick to say "Stay here." His tone was sharp and demanding in that way he had that could leave little argument in the best of cases.

He moved to open his door when the automatic locks clicked themselves shut. "I think you should all stay here." The computer chirped up, having been pretty quiet aside from a few playful jabs here and there through the day.

"No one asked you."

"I've intercepted a dispatch call and according to the call code there's been a break in. The perp could still be around, ya know. Just what do you think I'd do if I lost my favorite play things because you decided to run off into that mess?" She still had that playful way about her, though it was far more slight than before and mostly replaced with a seriousness that mirrored the situation."

"You might just have to find that out for yourself," he shot back as he flicked the lock and opened the door. She complained lightly but he continued and stepped out of the vehicle, bending down to look his brother in the eyes. The tone in his own was purely business. "Stay put Mokuba," he warned again before his attention shifted over to Bakura. "Keep an eye on my brother, Ryou," he mentioned just as shortly. "I'll be back once I find out what's going on."

With that the door was shut tight. And the teen's eyes were glued to his brother as he walked around the car and crossed the street.

The first cop that intercepted him didn't seem to pleased with the intrusion. A short, steely gaze and a familiar scowl was placed on the uniformed man that nearly reached his own height as he attempted to talk him down. But the commotion caught the attention of an older, shorter, and portlier officer quickly.

The man hurried over, shooing off the other quickly and most likely setting him to some other task to get rid of him. The older man had to fully look up at Seto. And he spoke to him as if he were almost as frightened of losing his job as the people in his office earlier that day had been. Though he seemed to be attempting to be cheerier and far more pleasant. The two began speaking, Kaiba shortly, and the man offering drawn out answers that might have been slightly comically animated in any other situation.

Mokuba knew better than to hop out of the car right away. He had put a hand on Ryou's shoulder almost the moment The door had clipped shut and whispered a calm, but urging, "Hang on a sec."

And the moment Seto was sufficiently occupied he leaned closer and added, in a hushed but no longer whispered tune, "You know... You can't keep a proper eye on me from in here." It was cheery and as he finished he was flipping up the lock and crawling out of the car. Not only was he incredibly curious himself, but it wasn't exactly fair to force the light haired man to stay in the car like that when it was his own place that the cops were hurrying in and out of. Seto might not quite get the sentiment, but the teen did. And he was quick to find his way over and stand behind and beside his brother, certain he'd catch him in his gaze within a few moments.

But it gave Ryou the chance to come find out what was going on for himself. And besides that, if Mokuba were then under his brother's watchful eye, it left the other man to do whatever might be needed to take care of himself.

The day had been exhausting, but only mentally so. Ryou was used to a good run around, be it from his antics at work to the long walks/runs to the office when he missed the bus, so his body was doing just fine... But he'd never spent so much time with the same people at once before. He was only ever halfheartedly invited to get together with the 'dweeb squad,' as Seto called them, so he never really stayed long. No one ever seemed to notice, but today, he knew that if he had tried to blend in with the shadows to scurry away, not only would his absence be noticed, but his presence would actually be missed! It left him with a warm fuzzy feeling in his chest. It took a mountain of effort just to keep the giddy smile off of his face.

Friends. This must be what it feels like to have real friends, and Ryou decided he liked it.

But his delighted mood chilled the moment they turned the corner onto his street. It wasn't the best part of town, but his little apartment complex had always been relatively safe with better than the average security in the area. Yet the flashing lights of cruisers colored the street and buildings like a silent night club, and he heard words in his mind that clenched his heart in fear.

You've ruined me Bakura! Do you hear me! I'll get you for this. I know where you live!

Would Harrison really follow up with his threat? No, it had to be coincidence... Oh how he hoped it was coincidence!

Ryou barely heard the conversation between man and car over the buzzing in his ears. He'd already lost his seat belt and was reaching for the door when a single order pierced through the muddled fuzz. It didn't matter. He wasn't on the clock anymore and he didn't have to follow Seto's commands when it came to his home! But Mokuba placed a steadying hand on his own, and the young man calmed, just a little, and the devious teen's plan relaxed him even more. "Thank you," he murmured gratefully as the raven haired boy slipped out of the car and placed himself beside his brother. Ryou followed out of the car right after. "Don't worry, I'll be careful," he promised the computer before leaving and shutting the door quietly.

On fleet feet the former host made for the tall police officer that had just been waved away. "Excuse me. Excuse me, sir?" He questioned, ever polite even in such a dire situation. "I know you probably can't tell me much, but I live in this building. Could you tell me which apartment you've been called for?"

The officer looked down on the albino man looking up at him with wide, pleading eyes. He looked like a kid, short and rounded, and he really hoped to give him good news. "Well kid," he started. It was a little patronizing, but Ryou was more than used to it, so he gave no complaints. "Seems like there was an armed break in about an hour ago. Apartment 146." The devastated look that came to that childish face almost had him cringing. No. It wasn't good news.

Ryou felt his body go cold. All of his blood stopped in place, the cells freezing over while his heart pounded in a frantic attempt to melt the ice. He didn't have much. Nothing worth stealing anyway... But Harrison knew just what made him happiest in his humble little abode. Figures, models, pictures. "No..." he whimper softly, feeling tears tingle the corners of his eyes and cling to white lashes. "No!"

The outburst from the previously tiny, cowering kid had the officer's eyes widening just a bit, and caught him off guard enough that his reach for the young man came up just short as Ryou raced towards the entrance of the building. "Come back here kid! We aren't finished with the crime scene!" He called out while barreling after, but damn the kid was fast!

Adrenalin ravaged his body, demanding he move, demanding he run as fast as he could back to his home. To check if they were okay... The model of Egypt that housed the cracked doll of his darker half, the terribly pieced together models he'd built with his father as a child, and the picture... The picture! It was the only one he had!

Seto caught Mokuba in his periphery almost instantly. The stone cold gaze he'd landed on the officer that was stumbling over his words almost as if he thought he'd be held personally responsible for the break in shifted down on him instantly. It forced the teen to flinch, his chin tilting down in a way that forced a guilty look up on his elder from under his lashes before his own soft eyes shifted off in another direction.

Mokuba didn't like that look. Under the calm exterior his brother exuded as an existential natural barrier, he could see the anger rolling in those steel eyes like thunderclouds. Although, Mokuba easily knew by now the ferocity in the older male's eyes was mostly due to that extremely over protective nature of his. And he'd just started to feel nice and warmed under the worry and care it represented when he was snapped back to the scene on hand by Bakura's outburst.

Both Kaiba's reacted with the reflex time of a well prepared cat, breaking into a sprint right on the ghostly teen's heels as he hurried toward his apartment. It was just as Ryou made it to the taped off stair well that they got close enough to do something about it. The moment the young man would have needed to take the bow to pass the excessive crossing over of barring tape or put in the extra kick to barrel through it a strong, slender arm snaked out and caught him around the waist. Less than half a second later, as he was being pulled firmly backward into the taught chest of the taller man and the second arm was wrapped around his own chest, Mokuba skidded to a halt in front of him, hands lifted in both a sign to stop as well as a show of defense.

Large amythest eyes shined worry and the slightest hint of panic that remained from the showrt chase down on him under furrowed brows. Seto held him firmly, his full back tucked tightly against the larger body. Although the strength and aggression in that firm grasp was only as heavy as it needed to be to keep him from being able to pull away. And as he leaned forward and down to place his mouth close enough to the smaller man's ear to be sure he was heard, the usual harsh tone in his voice drew out low and, most likely, jarringly tranquil. Granted, it was just as demanding as ever.

"Calm. Down. Ryou." He wasn't too close that Bakura couldn't turn and take in a view of the look on his face either. Even with how fully encompassing the somewhat forceful bear hug he'd pulled him into was.

The officer that had followed himself caught up within moments as well of course. And while Mokuba's attention turned on the official to offer the least offensive smile he could muster in hopes that it would calm down the sudden escalation the rest of the way, Seto remained focused fully on his new assistant.

Steel-blue eyes were indiscriminately settled on Ryou's facial features as he attempted to read the situation quickly in order to be prepared for whatever came next. But while they'd been full of fury when they'd landed on the younger Kaiba previously, they were entirely placid for the moment; a reflex, perhaps, for the need to calm the situation that Mokuba exhibited more fluidly. He was prepared to hold the panicked creature currently set in his grasp still until he could decifer how to relax him further before moving on with things.

Ryou was certainly quick, but so was Seto. He was also quite strong.

He wouldn't have ducked, the man would have barreled right through the 'Do Not Cross' tape without a second thought in order to check on his precious, tenuous grasp on the few joys of his past. Ryou let out a loud 'Ooof!' as a long, lanky, but incredibly strong arm caught him around the stomach, catching him mid stride and knocking the wind from his diaphragm. Before he could even yelp out a complaint he was held tightly to a tall figure, the back of his head bouncing on his captor's sternum. Ryou squirmed and struggled, kicking out his legs and even flailing his arms like an angry toddler throwing a tantrum.

A tantrum that came to a crashing halt, the albino freezing in place as lips were pressed so close to his ear. He hated it. It reminded him of the ring spirit whispering words of torment in the back of his mind. It had the man quivering in Seto's hold for the few seconds it took for the taller man to speak. As demanding as they were, the words so carefully breathed against the shell of his ear were actually... They were nice. The CEO always had some hint of his ego and crass nature in his tone, even now, yet they calmed him into relaxing into the hold.

It was nice to be held.

Ryou tried to remember the last time he was embraced with kindness.

He couldn't.

It was strange and uncomfortable, and the bubbly feeling it put in his belly was even more so. Yet he didn't want to move. Ryou struggled a little more, squirming in Seto's grasp with no real intent to escape. "But..." Doe eyes cinched shut and a rounded jaw tightened with clenched teeth. The tears building up on his eyelashes fell in twin trails down his cheeks. "Seto." He tried to turn his head to see his newly found friend, but only managed to glimpse him from the corner of his vision. "It's my home."

Last edited:
The smaller man seemed to calm enough. He loosened his grasp just enough to be more comfortable, but remained on guard in disallowing him to pull away. The reaction he'd had wasn't a surprising one in hind sight. If nothing else, Ryou seemed to be at least as excitable as Mokuba. Such a thing gave cause for impetuous action. Not that he had much room to speak when it came to acting brashly. With that in mind he took in what he had to say in an ever calculating way as he watched the tactless emotion rise over the smaller man's face. It was his home.

"Alright," he conceded in that same cool tone he'd had to offer before. Pulling his own face away without straightening his stance, he allowed his new assistant enough space to suffer the look on his face without prying eyes. "It's your home," he agreed, clarifying the single word he'd puffed out before.

"And your home has been violated," he added, the softer tune beginning to harden in way that was familiar to Mokuba. It still held a humane note. But Seto was a problem solver purely by nature. He got things done; fixed what was broken. He tended to be pretty darn efficient at that too. And the 'take charge' attitude that was slowly leaking in as that steely gaze returned and slowly shifted to the closest officer at hand slowly made itself present as he shifted to almost comforting Ryou to addressing the officials on the scene.

"Right now there's nothing any of the three of us can do about it." He wouldn't usually admit there was something out of his power. But honestly speaking it probably wasn't entirely. A phone call or two would probably have this place cleared out in minutes even. But, "not if we're going to find out who did it in the first place."

This was when the attention of those cold eyes shifted over to the uniformed man that nearly reached his own sight. "What ever it turns out they did to your home isn't something that can be helped. Finding the person who did it and making them pay for it can."

He let his grip fall a little looser. He wasn't quite as worried about him jolting off anymore. Not that he let his guard down. But upon seeing the tears Mokuba had turned his own eyes down on the ground. Though they'd lifted back up to follow his hand as he gave Bakura's arm a gentle squeeze and held it's support there. And while he wasn't the biggest obstacle to have to get past in order to get up those stairs, he was almost as adequate of one as Seto himself.

"We'll be coming back first thing in the morning," The utter authority that dripped from his words set the officer into an uneasy stance. The sharp look that was landed on him didn't help much. "We can assess the damage then."

"This is a crime scene," the man shot back sharply. "You don't get to dictate--" He was cut off.

"Don't try to tell me what I can and can't do." The response was so cold, collected, and menacing that he actually stood back on his heel and reached for his belt holster instinctively. At this, Seto had a little difficulty in keeping the satisfied grin over the officer's obvious intimidation to himself. He managed though. "If you know what's good for you, you'll be done processing this scene by sun up." This follow up only had the man glaring back and keeping his hand placed more assuredly, even going so far as to finger the clip that held the piece in.

Kaiba didn't hold back his grin at that point. Whether this moron knew what was best for him or not, the people he worked for did. This was especially evident when that portly officer from before scurried over and placed himself between the two of them. "What the Hell do you think you're doing?" The taller male relaxed and glowered off in another direction, as he was the one who was addressed with this question.

The young CEO wasn't bothered by the trigger happy squat. He was probably some kid fresh out of the academy after all. Those ones tended to be twitchy.

His attention turned back to the uniformed man who clearly understood the entirety of the situation they were all now standing in. "Be a pal," he mentioned in that mildly sadistic, playful tone of his Bakura was probably much more used to even after the day they'd spent together. "Give us a call when your team is done here. I plan on making a visit here in the morning. I expect everyone to be gone by then."

The statement was definitive, as if there wasn't even the possibility of an argument. And, in fact, he only received a timid nod from the officer who flashed the business card he'd already been offered during their short conversation previously. "No problem, Mr. Kaiba." It was probably the most curteous the probably balding man could make himself sound too, given the slight shake in his voice.

After they came back in the morning, he'd be sure to have his own team scour the place as well. They'd likely be more efficient; definitely more discreet and courteous to what ever belongings were left and cleaning that was done before they headed in to the office.

Finally his attention shifted back down on Ryou. "We'll come back in the morning, Ryou," he informed him as if he hadn't been privvy to the entire conversation that had just happened already.

"Let's go," he added just as definitively. "Tonight you're coming home with me."

At some point, most likely much sooner rather than later, Ryou would come to realize that when you worked for Seto Kaiba, you were effectively always on the clock. What else would he be paying him for, after all?

Last edited:
He wouldn't sob. The stray tears falling was already more weakness than he'd ever felt comfortable sharing, especially to someone like Seto Kaiba. A man who stood atop a pedestal of perfection and strength, and demanded it of his employees. Ryou swallowed thickly to force down the sob that threatened to burst free and open the damn to salt water flooding. He bit down hard on his lip, pulling painfully at the skin but not quite breaking through it. It was released when Seto spoke again. He liked that tone. It was smooth and calming, and trapped in the man's embrace he'd dare to say he felt safe. Such an alien feeling.

And the comforting hand on his arm was steadying. Was this... Was this what friends did for each other? Thinking on it, he saw quite a bit of physical contact between his friends, but they avoided it with him. Like he was diseased. Like the darkness in the ring would leap out and steal their souls if they dared to touch him. Seto held no fear. Mokuba held no fear. He relaxed further. Or rather, he slumped into the supportive hold, allowing Seto to guide him in whatever direction he desired.

The interaction between his boss and the officer became background noise to his thoughts. His home was violated. His precious memories could be destroyed forever. A pair of warm, protective arms were wrapped around him, and they didn't hurt. No golden spikes digging into his chest, no cruel threats veiled in promises. It made his heart race and his skin crawl. It was instinct to be suspicious of kindness.

"Okay," he murmured. They'd come back in the morning to assess the damage done, and he'd stay with Seto tonight... "What?" The confusion was palpable. If he expected any kind of help from the man it would be to put him up in a decent hotel, but to stay under the same roof of the Kaiba brothers was both daunting and... Kind of exciting! He'd be giddy about the prospect under different circumstances.

"O-oh!" Ryou squirmed again, this time just enough to turn in the CEO's hold. With his head just peeking above the man's shoulder, Ryou called out to the officers. "Harrison Mannings! Look into Harrison Mannings! He threatened me earlier today!" Ryou raised his voice only enough to be heard, and not enough to hurt Seto's ears.

After having giving him a long moment in lack of eye contact in a respectful attempt to avoid making him feel worse by watching his somewhat embarrassing public display, Mokuba locked his deep purple-blue hues right back up on the doe brown ones glistening with tears that hadn't quite fallen. Despite the saddened tilt his own eyebrows had taken on, a small smile stretched his lips lightly. It was an attempt to reassure him of course; that he'd be okay, that his tears didn't bother him, that he was right there... He wanted to pay more attention to the shift that his big brother had taken on. It wasn't crazy that he could tone himself down and be calming with how cooly he always handled himself, but it wasn't a side of Seto he saw very often in the least.

He was a little surprised, but not overly so. It didn't matter what the situation tended to be, really. Seto had a way about him that allowed him to react in a way that demanded control in one form or another. It was just that there really weren't very many situations that called for the almost gentle, lower pitched tone to come about... Or rather, there honestly were and those situations were much less disturbing. But it wasn't exactly something his older brother seemed to know how to deploy properly in any situation that didn't blatantly call for it.

Seto didn't hear his assistant's response, as he was mostly engaged with the other officers. Although to be fair, by the time it came he was more listening to the chewing out the younger one was receiving in hushed tones as he gave him a somewhat fatherly shove in the direction of their cars and began to guide him back that way. Kaiba had no doubt their superiors would be informed of the situation, and the seemingly 'new guy' would be put in his place several times over by the end of his shift.

The sudden shift of both tone and loudness in Ryou's tone startled him back to his own situation enough to be ready to respond to that suddenness. And as soon as Ryou twisted in his grip those keen reflexes of his kicked in and had him doing just that. His grip on the wriggling, then stretching man tightened in readiness to hold him back again. The change subsequently fitted him right back up against his chest again.

It was the words that made his recognize what it was Ryou had been doing, not the fact that he stopped struggling nearly the moment he'd turned in the first place. The moment it took him to catch up with the new information had a bit of confusion seeping its way across his features, though it was still heavily veiled under that often neutral face of his.

Why the Hell did he feel the need to jerk around just to a couple of absolute morons in uniform about the threats he'd received earlier? It wasn't like they'd be of any real use in the long run after all. Cops rarely were. Besides, he'd just told the over emotional dork that he'd be taking care of this. Even if the message wasn't quite as easy to read as he thought it had been.

A trickle of offense hit him for a fleeting thought. One that suggested his new assistant might think those idiots could do a better job of it than he could. Although the flicker of annoyance that ran through his face more obviously than the last thing was short lived as he recognized the shuffling of paper and the sound of pen scratching on note pad before the man offered and affirmation that he'd look into it. Mostly because of the unbelieving snort that rose from his chest that had him wanting to roll his eyes as well.

"Come on then," he added as he finally released his would-be prisoner from the heavy grasp he'd been wrapped in for the past few minutes. The release was short lived, as it instead took the form of long, lithe fingers wrapping partially around his wrist and palm, trapping the thumb within it and turning on his heel to guide them all back to his own car. "It's late. The sooner we get home and you kiddies go to bed, the sooner we'll be back here."

The tease was pretty lighthearted really. Though to be fair it had gotten to that level somewhere around the later evening. His continued chant in calling them 'petulant children' for their ridiculous behaviour through the day had gradually decreased itself down to this level. Mokuba could tell he was working to maintain that control, feeling for a base line in an attempt to toss the two of them back into a mood that sat closer to the one they'd shared all day.

When Ryou had wriggled and turned himself around, the teen had let go of his own grasp and simply prepared himself to follow on the way back to the car since it had pretty much seemed settled at that point. There wasn't much he could say without worrying that Seto would have something to say back that would probably sour any of the mood Mokuba happened to recover himself. Now though, he was one big smiley bubble, his attention back on Ryou as he decided to add his encouragement considering his big brother hadn't said something totally devastating.

"Don't worry Ryou," he offered cheerily. "Or at least try not to for tonight. We'll figure things out in the morning. And in the mean time we're having a sleep over. Have you ever had one before? Cause not counting sleeping in Seto's room or something like that, I know I sure haven't. It sounds like fun!"

Just as he called out to the officers, Ryou felt a large hand grab hold of the top of his head. It applied enough pressure to force him back down onto his feet. He'd hardly realized he'd practically climbed up Seto's legs in order to look over the significantly taller man's shoulder, that thought would have been awfully embarrassing if his thoughts derailed into a silent car crash. Strong arms were wrapped firmly around his form, holding him against a firm chest in an embrace that was kind but allowed for no escape. Face hidden in Seto's shirt, he allowed a cringe to twist his features, but relaxed his facial muscles long before anyone could see.

It's alright now Ryou, I'm here.

The spirit's cruel, rumbling purr of a voice tickled his ears. The memory of hot breath wafting over the shell of his ear so vivid he could smell the hint of meat and blood that followed Bakura everywhere he went. Ryou's thin fingers grasped at the perfectly starched shoulders of Seto's jacket, just as he would a striped shirt or crimson robes.

You're useless. No one needs you. No one wants you. No one but me, my precious Host.

Without so much as a tick to his features he yowled into his own mind, his voice a ragged, broken plea.

Stop it! Stop it! No more!

Cloth slipped from between his fingers, and doe eyes looked up through damp eyelashes and fluffy bangs to meet his friend's face. He had friends now. He had a name. He was worth the air he breathed... Probably.

Ryou glanced down briefly at their hands as Seto took his. That same strong palm from before now cradled his thumb, and he followed the other's lead without hesitation. "Ah... Right," he agreed with a nod, his lips curling just slightly at the tease sent his way. It was warm, and once again he thought of Joey's declaration of how cold and clammy they must be. Their palms were slightly slick with the sweat of the day as well as what the burst of adrenaline caused, but it was still warm, still comfortable. He was reluctant to pull his hand away, but did so without hesitation to slide back into the car. The seat belt clicked, Mokuba spoke, and the hairs along Ryou's neck stood high on end.

I miss your sleep overs.

A revolted shudder twisted his belly, but Ryou gave the teen a warm smile tainted with a sadness easily excused by the break-in. "No. My family moved quite often when I was a child. I've never had the chance before."

You've never been accepted before. Not by them, not by anyone but me. Not even the Pharaoh's perfect little angel.

Yugi and his friends had sleep overs all the time. They bragged about them constantly in highschool. Well, more likely they were simply reminiscing on good times, but to the lonely teen who'd never once been invited, it felt like they were rubbing in their connections like dirt in an infected wound. He'd never said anything. Not once. He couldn't. He wasn't allowed.

Ryou had to hold back a flinch, his chest burning. The scars left by the ring felt as if the golden spikes had once more been plunged into his fragile flesh. He continued to smile. "Then I assume we'll have to pick a movie," he started before smiling just a little brighter. "Or is that too cliche?"

Ryou seemed to curl into him as his fingers did the same to his jacket. It was a reflex that hit him, wanting him to wrap him in the hold he'd taken tighter; one he pushed away vehemently. Seto was not a touchy-feely type person. The thought of the action he'd taken to bar the smaller male from escaping into the crime scene further turning to anything else wasn't a pleasant one.

The need to let go suddenly hit him just as strongly. It was, in fact, almost as disturbing as the one that had hit him previously. This damn kid's reaction was confusing the Hell out of him to say the least. And when he looked down, the sudden pang of his blood pressure rising and trickling into a cold chill at the look that was being turned up on him was no better. The awkward shift was enough to thin his lips and have him moving to quickly take that hand and lead him to the car briskly to get away from the entire situation.

Seto let go only when they reached the shelled Aston Martin. They hadn't bothered to remove the leathered cover after lunch, opting for the covered top and open windows that probably had a bit to do with a laziness of not wanting to have to deal with it later. He walked around the car silently and slid in effortlessly, turning the ignition over almost immediately.

"You boys sure are gluttons for punishment," the computer quipped in a tone that sounded even less pleased than when they left. "Do you have any idea how bored I'd be without you around to screw with?"

"Shut up." It was said cooly, steering wheel gripped tightly in lithe fingers and posture straight as cold eyes focused on the road sharply.

The machine complained again, but he wasn't paying attention at that point. He was too far lost in his own thoughts, making his way back to their abode almost mechanically.

"Awesome!" Mokuba was smiling madly at the older man who was once again seated in front of him, trying his best to roll right on over that sad look he had in his eyes so he could cheer the guy up. "We get to figure it out together!"

Trying to think of activities to do at a sleep over, the teen was distracted for a moment himself, which allowed for Ryou to shake off his own distraction. Periwinkle eyes widened and lit up brightly at the suggestion they were given. "Of course! I didn't even think about that! What kind of movie should we watch?!"

He was quite excitable. Although there was a chance that at the moment his overt cheeriness had everything to do with his attempt to help Ryou forget his current troubles for as long as they could.

Though he wasn't sure she could see it, Ryou turned an apologetic smile towards the dashboard. "I'm sorry if we worried you," he offered kindly, a stark contrast to Seto's cold dismissal. It still felt strange to talk to a car, but she seemed to have a personality and even a range of emotions. It was difficult not to engage in conversation. Would she be installed into his own car, once he learned to drive? He hoped so. Strange as it was, he liked her.

Ryou was pulled from his thoughts on the AI by Mokuba's excited response, and when he looked back at the teen his smile was much more genuine... Or so it seemed. "As I said on the plane, I enjoy older horror films." Ryou lifted his hands in a nervous, dismissing wave and an awkward chuckle. "Nothing gory though. I prefer bloodless occult films." Bakura had enjoyed the genre of 'torture porn,' as he'd heard it been called. He was forced to watch from his cold, damp cell of a soul room as Bakura binged on blood and gore, jovially laughing as people were ripped limb from limb. The memories still churned his stomach into painful knots that threatened to expel all sustenance from his belly.

We won't have to watch them this time. I'll show it to you in real time, my precious Ryou.

An image of Mokuba's body opened on the floor, his violet eyes dull and lifeless, face twisted in agony as his own two hands tore into the open abdomen to rip and claw apart vital organs. It was an image, a clip played in his day dreams, and a horror film in his never ending nightmares. Though, it had always been Yugi's body he saw. He felt sick. He wanted to scream, he wanted to scramble away in abstract terror, he wanted to puke all over the beautiful leather upholstery in the car...

The young man's smile widened, reaching his eyes and curving them into an expression of pure delight. "We will have to look through your collection, but if you happen to have The Sixth Sense I think we could all enjoy it."

You relate so much to that child. I can hear it in your soul.

He could fell the frozen hands of the spirit running along his spine in a sweet pet. Another wave of nausea was over shadowed with grief. Though he could hear his voice and feel his touch, Bakura wasn't there anymore. His darker half could no longer take over his body, taunt him in his mind, torture him, rape him... love him.

I am always with you.

Sweet brown eyes glanced away from the teen to look at his silent boss, and a playful, devious gleam made the chocolate irises shine. "Though, I think it may just be us," he started, humor tinting his polite tone. "Movies seem to be beneath the great Seto Kaiba." It was a tease. One that could have been seen as mean or cruel, but coming from Ryou's pale lips it was nothing more than playful and fun.

Back
Top Bottom