Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Blue Eyes White Lover (Fox)

EDDE

Logic better pray I don't kick it's ass too!
Seto Kaiba sat behind his desk contemplating recent events. Sharp eyes were closed, his mouth hidden behind clasped hands that were supported on the heavy wood of his large desk by his elbows. The outside light was blazing in despite the damper that had been put on it by the half drawn shutters. It was too early to let that much light into the large room. He didn't need a headache on top of this headache.

There were several ways he could choose to deal with this issue. He was warming to the idea that his initial instinct might be the one to go with. He was used to not being able to fully trust the largest portion of his lackies; a lesson taught and taught again. After all, given his position... But that wasn't anything he needed to focus on right now.

All he really needed to care about were those fool developers of his who thought they could pull the wool over his eyes and take undue credit. Didn't they know by now that it was literally his business to know everything that was going on in his company? It was a vested interest that had proven itself needed on more than one occasion.

Alright, so now that he'd made up his mind there was something else he needed to do. So he sat up and pulled his keyboard closer. He might not have payed too much attention to it before, but he had known a member of the geekettes had gotten a small time position in his company. Just because he knew everything didn't mean he had to care about it... Although it stood to reason that he probably should have payed more attention to this one.

This next problem of his was easy enough to fix. As he pulled up his system and began wading through the associate files he still couldn't come up with it though. What in the world was that dweeb's name? Not a moment after he'd scoured his mind for it for the tenth time he found the file he was looking for.

Turning, he picked up the video phone's receiver and watched as the screen flickered on. "Ah. Good morning Mr. Kaiba."

"Spare me the pleasantries. I don't have the time or the patience today."

"O-of course. What can I do for you Sir?"

"You can see to it that my schedule is clear for the next hour."

"But Mr. Kaiba you have the--" The idiot was silenced with a simple look. And he offered a nervous chuckle through his continuance. "Of course. Whatever you say Mr. Kaiba. Anything else?"

"As a matter of fact, yes." He offered a bit more shortly than previously. "Have Ryou Bakura brought to my office immediately."

The man on the other line began to talk back, but the reciever was clapped down.

Now; Seto may not have paid much attention to the guy previously, but that wasn't the case anymore. They'd probably take a few minutes to find Bakura considering he hadn't given them anything else to go on. But that was fine. It would give him time to look over his personnel file while he waited.

Last edited:
"Hey Ryou, you wouldn't happen to-"

"Have the file you left on the meeting table last week?"

A man in a black suit sighed in relief from the doorway to his small office. He looked frazzled, his hair in a state of slight disarray and his darkened glasses were hanging off of one ear. The panic in his featured softened into a melt when a yellow folder was placed in his hand. "I don't know what I'd do without you," he admitted while offering the white haired young man a weary smile.

"Lose your job?" He returned in good humor, handing over first the packet, then a styrofoam cup filled to the top with cream sweetened coffee and covered with a black lid.

Ryou Bakura, Male, Aged 21 and five feet three inches tall.

"Probably." The drink was gratefully taken, and the hot liquid was downed far too quickly. It obviously burned the man's tongue, but he didn't complain. The pain woke him up almost as much as the caffeine itself. Ryou laughed, and was just about to leave and return to work when a thought came to him.

"Oh! You talked to Kaiba about that thing right?" His chocolate brown eyes widened in excitement. "How did it go, Harrison? Ah! Guess I shouldn't have asked. I'm sorry. Perhaps you can tell me another time." The uncomfortable look on Harrison's face didn't go unnoticed, but it was misconstrued. He couldn't possibly have known what had gone on in that room, he just knew that it was top secret, and he probably shouldn't have weaseled his nose into it.

Graduated from Domino High School at age 18, with some of the lowest scores.

With his hands now free, Ryou lifted them to tug at the pony tail sitting high on his head. The long, spiky hair was difficult to maintain, and some days it was better to just throw it up into a hair tie and be done with it. When he took the early shift.

Single, living in a small apartment. Mode of transportation: Buses. Can (and has) run from one end of the city to the other to get to work on time.

With a happy wave and a just as bright smile, Ryou stepped on the lower rung of the cart he was pushing. Cups of coffee and tea rested on the top surface, held their by cardboard cup holders. The second surface was covered in neatly stacked files and papers, and the final surface was grated, much like a super market shopping cart. Placing the arch of his right foot on the rung, the left pushed him along.

Began working at KC 1 1/2 years ago.

The playful young man sped through the halls, dropping off the drinks and papers to their respective places with memorized ease.

"Good morning Ryou!"

"How are you today, Ryou?"

"Hey Ryou. Same old mud?"

Being greeted every day was... Well, Ryou didn't have the words for it. After going so long without hearing his own name he'd begun to forget what it was to begin with. 'Bakura' followed him long after the spirit of the ring was banished. It still haunted him now, on occasion. Yugi, Tristan, Joey and Tea all still called him by that name. The order to never tell them unless it was asked had stuck with him too strongly to break, even when his captor disappeared into the shadows. But here, everyone knew his name. His real name.

Has proven to be a skilled and reliable worker with a powerful drive.

Thankfully, all of the cups had been passed out already when the elevator door opened and a string of security came rushing out. Ryou stopped hard in his tracks, sending several papers flying, but he managed to halt the cart before slamming into a very burly looking man. Even behind black sunglasses, he could feel the man's eyes boring into him. "Uh... C-coffee?" He squeaked.

Works exceedingly well with others.

The gruff grunt had the former host nearly leaping out of his skin, but the guard left and Ryou heaved a sigh of relief. "I thought I was done for. Kaiba really has some frightening staff." Then again, they were probably necessary. Grasping the cart again he began to push, only for his foot to slide on a fallen paper. The metal cart was shoved forward and he nearly fell flat on his face, managing to catch himself just in time before he broke his nose on the floor.

... Clumsy.

All at once, a crash was heard as his pushcart collided with the wall and several of his friends were rushing from their offices to see what was the fuss. The group of guards stopped in their tracks to see the dumb kid still laying on the ground.

"Ryou, are you alright? You really need to be more careful," said a woman with long brown hair and a stuck up nose. "You're going to break the floor with that hard head of yours," she stated. The words were cold, but her tone was warm, as were her hands. He took them when they were offered, and he carefully stood.

"Ryou. As in Ryou Bakura?" Asked the same man he'd nearly run into. The albino male stopped brushing off his knees and loudly gulped. "I uh... Maybe?"

"You're coming with us. Mr. Kaiba has requested an audience with you."

Another gulp. "If this is because of my riding on the cart, I assure you it will not happen again," he tried, only to shrink down at the heavy stare of now not just one man, but eight muscular males that could, and would, beat him up to steal his lunch money to buy protean shakes. They didn't need to say anymore, their expressions were enough.

Ryou walked the Green Mile to the elevator with said eight men. All nine of them was a tight fit in the elevator, and the boring music only made things more uncomfortable. What had he done now? How badly did he mess up that Kaiba himself was going to exact his punishment?! By the time they left the tiny moving room, Ryou's face was whiter than normal. He felt as if he'd just been caught committing murder.

The tallest man knocked on a set of double doors. "Mr. Kaiba. We have brought Bakura to see you."

He flinched.

A real scaredy cat.

He read over the profile again, and then once more. Although he didn't really need to to memorize it. It was short, sweet, and to the point. He vaguely wondered if there was a more in depth file on the man, considering how long he'd been with the company and the extensive background checks he prided his company in. But he didn't dwell on it long. This was all he really needed right now anyway.

'Dependable, hard worker, and a works well with others... And then there's the project. He seems to have at least a little talent if nothing else. It's almost promising. And if this file is up too date he doesn't have anyone depending on him. So at least his drive is his own.' Seto looked at the screen again, peering over his employee photo. He hadn't had a whole lot of interaction with him really.'Having no back bone is a pretty big draw back though... Whatever. I guess I'll just have to see what you're made of.'

A grunt of annoyance passed over his chest as he looked down at the clock testing his patience at the bottom of the screen. So he switched windows. That was when another huffed from his chest. Those idiots were practically storming the castle in search of him. His eyes closed and he took a breath, switching back to the file. 'You better be worth my time, Loser. I'm not doing this for my own health.'

Finally, as he'd started tapping a finger on his desk impatiently, there was a knock on his door. 'Took them long enough.' He sat straight, and beckoned them in crisply. 'If nothing else I can probably make this entertaining. But first...'

Once again his elbows touched the wood and his hands lifted to clasp in front of him. The scowl on his face, however, wasn't hidden in the least by them with his posture set proper. He didnt say a word as they filed in together. And the silence as he stared them all down one by one was almost deafening.

Finally that burly grunt opened his mouth and took in a breath to speak. He didnt let him. "Mind telling why it takes eight top members of Kaiba Corp's security staff to bring in one nobody?" The man had stopped dead when Seto spoke, but he opened his mouth again. "On second thought, nevermind. Don't say anything to me. I don't feel like loosing the brain cells."

A nervous lilt drew across each of those men's lips. And they only seemed to grow even more nervous as he made a point to look over at the clock on the far wall. "On top of that nonsense, I was ready for my guest here over ten minutes ago. You've been slipping gentlemen. And if you don't get it together soon there are going to be consiquences."

It was quiet for another couple beats of a calm heart. And once again the man opened his mouth. But he closed it quickly, seeming to remember he was told to say nothing and stifling himself through a small noise.

Sky blue eyes narrowed on him and a cruel smirk drew across his lips. The men flinched just a little. "Know what? I changed my mind again. You seem to be in a talkative mood Richards. So there is something I want you to answer for."

Scowl returning, his hands smoothed onto his desk silently and supported him in both standing up and leaning forward somewhat menacingly through a just slightly raised voice. "How about you tell me how that same nobody managed to infiltrate a top secret project you were personally in charge of protecting?"

Donald Richards, co-chief of security, jumped a bit and let off another pathetic noise, obviously searching quickly for an explination. He wouldn't find one in time. "What's that? You dont have anything to say after all? Well that's bad news for you. You know, If I were a gambling man I'd feel pretty confident in putting it all on the odds that you weren't even aware of our little security issue in the first place. And I'd wager that's why you didn't come here prepared with a well rehearsed but lame excuse on hand."

And it was far too quiet all over again.

After a moment of thought the President shifted once again. Retaking the position he held upon their entrance he grasped his hands a little more tightly and extended his pointer fingers toward the lot of them. "Heh. Lucky for you I'm a benevolent dictator. And I've decided to overlook your painfully obvious incompitence," he offered as that grin of his returned. "Although," he added with obvious intent after a breath of a pause. "Not before you do something for me."

The small rant he'd started was probably a little much. And it wasn't just for the fact that he'd had little sleep the night before. That he was used to. But ever since Roland's retirement things hadn't been the same. He'd had to replace the head of his security with three others just to get close to the quality he was used to in his service. It had been grating on him for a while now. So what better time to work on the issue? Even if their blunder had turned out for the better it was still a major over sight that couldn't be left as it was despite what he'd just said.

"You're going to have to prove you're worth what I pay you to be here," he informed them cooly.

Sitting straight once again he smoothed his already pristine tie. It gave him a moment to take in another breath, and certainly didn't detract from his continuance. "Spread the word gentlemen." He added lightly for those feeble minds, "and take notes as neccissary." Standing, he gestured across the lot of them. "This decree is being handed down to the entire security squad. And here is what's going to happen."

He allowed his fingertips to return to the desk and took a more relaxed stance. Well, as relaxed as he ever seemed. "Tonight when the majority of the building is empty you're all going to run a full scale evacuation drill. And then you're going to run it again. And you'll keep running it until you get it absolutely perfect."

He stared the lot of them down as he spoke, straight faced and stern; not that anything less was expected of him. "Because tomorrow I'll be executing a drill of my own. And if you dont show me some vast improvement by then, I promise you will regret it."

As that curl drew across his lips again the air grew tense all over. "Oh but don't worry. I don't plan on firing any stragglers." With that look it was obvious to the group the offer wasn't as gracious as one might hope. "The punishment I have in mind is worse than that."

It was worse in their eyes, anyway. The threat was almost sure to clear the room. "Your failure will buy you a ticket right back to Kaiba Corp's training facilities. So if you're smart enough to recognize what that means for you, I suggest you start preparing right now."

He hadnt been wrong in his assumption. The frenzy the men had fallen into to find his guest paled in comparison to their scramble for that door after his final warning. They were gone in a manner of moments and there was no holding back his amusement in their hurry. The room was left rather bare, and aside from the bout of laughter that followed them on their heels the room soon fell quiet again. 'Ah. I amuse myself.' And he doubted making worms squirm would ever grow old. Plus, that should be enough to keep those fools on their toes for a while. And if not... Well, he didn't make a habit of offering empty threats.

So now he was alone with the least popular member of the nerd herd. It just so happened he was in the mood for a little more fun. Upon looking him over shortly for a moment he returned to his seat and repositioned his keyboard. He still had a few emails to respond to this morning and he wondered how many he could get through before someone spineless enough to have it mentioned in their personnel file would break. Would he stay quiet and sweat it out? Would he shatter under the perceived pressure Seto's little scene had created?

Curiosity fueled his actions and had him going back to work at his computer. Maybe he'd do something else entirely. But there was one thing he was sure of. He'd definitely squirm just like the others.

Last edited:
Walking into the silent office was like walking into his own tomb. He tried not to fidget, and ended up with his hands clasped behind his back to hide his squeezing fingers. Ryou held his head down; not enough to hide his face, but enough to show that he knew he was in trouble. Much like a scolded child, or a puppy getting swatted with a news paper. And things only got worse, as when the silence was broken the tension didn't get better, only thicker. Brown eyes darted from one security guard to another, and settled on the man called Donald. The imposing figure looked more like a wounded dog than he did. In fact they all looked as if they were about to piss themselves. He couldn't blame them.

A physical fight between Donald and Kaiba had a debatable outcome, but that wasn't the issue. Seto Kaiba had the ability to ruin people. If he wanted you gone, your name would be dragged so deep through mud that your own mother wouldn't want you.

Ryou shifted awkwardly from his right foot to his left while keeping his mouth firmly shut. However, the moment the secret project was brought up, Ryou perked and flinched. That was it... He'd been caught nosing around in secret files and Seto Kaiba was going to destroy what little he had. Just for the fun of it. He swallowed thickly, and was painfully aware of how relieved he was that the guards were getting the brunt of the man's irritation.

Remaining silent through the barrage against the team of intimidating men was easy... Once they were gone it was a different story. Ryou recoiled, awaiting his own punishment, but it never came. All he heard was they typing on a key board, and doe eyes chanced a glance at the CEO. How he wished he'd left his hair down this morning, then at least he could hide away, but there was no where to run now. All he could do was wait.

And wait.

And wait some more.

The clearing of his throat wasn't meant to grab Kaiba's attention, and the heavy swallow that followed showed it was an attempt to gain courage. It was something that was rapidly escaping as soon as he captured it, so his words were swiftly spoken. Once he came up with them, that was. How was he supposed to address him now? Just 'Kaiba' didn't feel right, and calling him 'Boss' only felt awkward. Despite working for him, they hadn't spoken since the Pharaoh's departure. "Mr. Kaiba?" Was that wrong? It's what everyone else seemed to call him.

Again he swallowed, this time to calm the frog that had suddenly taken root in his throat. Ryou looked ready to bolt; to run out of not just Kaiba's office, but straight out of the building and never look back. "I apologize for my intrusion!" The squeak came with a bow of his head. "It was not my place, but I ask you not enact punishment on my team." Oh bollocks! As much as he considered himself to be a part of the game design team, he shouldn't have put claim on something that was obviously not his. "The mistake was mine, any retribution should fall on my shoulders, not theirs."

Shut up shut up!

Ryou clenched his eyes shut and awaited the hammer of Seto's fists to fall upon him, be they metaphorical or physical.

The hum drum of his morning schedule could have easily tested his waking state after the night he'd had. Fortunately he had something else at the moment to keep that state well honed. And while he never left his sights on the white haired male long enough to note as anything other than reading from one end of text to the other, he definitely was focused on him.

It took him long enough to stop flinching in order to take his first peek at the president, and that was enough to not only keep his posture but continually bring his eyes over to check his condition.

The clearing of his throat was followed by a short stop in his typing... which then fluidly flowed into a few clicks that sent off another email. And then he continued his task, making it incredibly difficult to tell whether the pauses he gave were in reaction to his interruptions or even the thoughts plaguing his mind or not. It wasn't that hard of a feat to accomplish for Seto either. Ryou's body language screamed almost as loud as his attempts to shush himself did.

When he was finally dressed his pause was a bit more obvious. He couldn't decide if it was odd or not coming from him. He was used to the title of course. Maybe it just felt a little forced. Not that it mattered. When Ryou didnt continue immediately he simply fell back to task.

And when he finally broke and began rambling the clack of the keyboard didn't silence as the mouse squeaked on.

He did stop however as he chanced another glance at him. Another few clicks followed and he pushed back his keyboard and sat back, and subsiquently taller, in his chair as he looked him over openly.

It took him a little longer than he'd like to admit to recognize he was searching out something that seemed odd. Or rather, what that something was.

He was squirming brilliantly. It was obvious that he was easily as scared of Kaiba's wrath as he probably should be. But it stood to reason that he was probably more of a man than over half his staff. He couldn't hold back the light chuckle the thought brought him. It came off as cruel. Although it was entirely possible that was the only tune his voice could carry.

Kaiba was used to excuses, pleads, and the occasional casual tossing of a close team member under a fast moving freight train. This nobody didn't even have any real affiliation to that particular team of developers and yet here he was trying to take all the credit for the wrong-doing when they'd given him none for the glory.

Ah, that was probably the niche. The mouse couldn't possibly know what had gone on in that meeting. He was putting his neck on the chopping block thinking they'd come to him and told him everything. It wouldnt surprise him in the least.

And despite how entertaining as ever all that flinching and squirming was, the new prospect could be more interesting.

Kaiba's elbows rested on the arms of his chair, hands laced over crossed legs as he drew into a position that actually was decidedly more relaxed than any he'd taken on so far this morning. "We haven't had a whole lot of interaction in the past," he began smoothly. And now that he thought about it, "Actually out of your whole little gaggle of friends I probably remember the least about you." After all, he couldn't even remember his name earlier on.

Moving along he skipped right on to what interested him more. "So since I don't remember if you're particularly bright or not I'll try to start out easy to make sure you're obsorbing all of this." He wasn't one to beat around the Bush when it didn't suit his wants. "What would you say if I told you that 'your team'," he emphasized, "that you re so quick to defend has nothing to do with how I know you wormed your way in to my project? That, in fact, you weren't even mentioned once in the physical or oral reports, and don't exist in any of the storage files, logs, or composites? Not to mention anywhere else that's in any way associated with the 'Nameless' project what-so-ever..."

Well, that might have been a little too forward. But he didn't tend to mince words.

Last edited:
Kaiba's position changed, and Ryou's did as well. He stood a little straighter, coming out of the apologetic bow to look fully at his boss. The fidgeting slowed down, because as aggravated as Seto seemed to be, he was in a much more lax position than he'd been in when addressing his security. After all of his years cowering beneath a vengeful spirit, he was able to tell that this man wasn't angry. At least not any more than usual.

The admittance of not remembering much about him didn't seem to phase the man. It was to be expected. They didn't have much interaction in the past, and while Seto Kaiba wasn't someone easily forgotten, Ryou Bakura was. What did bother him, was what followed. A sound left his throat, and his posture became straight for the first time since entering the office.

Why?

Betrayal clouded his features for several seconds as he soaked in the information. He'd worked so hard beside them. He may not have understood a bit of the computer coding when it came to the holograms, but he'd spent hours, days, weeks, and many sleepless nights to build and paint each piece with such care and devotion. Finally, his skills with a brush were used for something fun! Ryou hadn't wanted glory or riches. All he wanted was a little recognition. So he wouldn't be 'Ryou the paper pusher,' or 'Ryou the coffee maker,' or...

Bakura the insane.

Many emotions cast across his features, but surprise wasn't one of them. It had to be fate that the people he called friends didn't consider him an equal. Maybe he wasn't even a friend to them; maybe they were using him for those pieces. He wouldn't be surprised about that at all. Fate had a tendency to offer him the shittiest of hands, and he had learned to accept them. There was no use asking for a mulligan. All he could do was hope that they had their reasons for keeping him a secret. In fact, they could have been trying to protect him from this very scenario. It was a nice little lie.

"Then... How did you know I was involved?" It was all he could manage to say. What else was there? Ryou had tried very hard to keep his works under-wraps. Did he miss a security camera? Did he say the wrong thing to the wrong person? Contemplation took over his expressions of hurt. Did he come too close to Kisara when he made the White Witch character? No, he'd taken great care to make her look different enough. Shortening her hair and changing her eyes to simple slits instead of the original large, beautiful, deep ocean blue.

Then another thought popped into his head, and he dared to crack a smile. Hope filled his gaze. "Did you like the character designs? Or the puzzle that lasts from level 4 to level 11?"

Well, so far so good. At least in the sense that the mousey man was keeping up. Then again he hadn't made it hard to follow. Even if he were dealing with that idiot Wheeler instead of another of the band of dorks there was no way hed have managed to get himself lost in it. He sat calmly and watched the emotions change over his face. This kid really wore 'em on his sleeves. Oh well. At least it made him easy to read. He wasn't in the mood for guessing games right now.

And he supposed the question that finally came was one that should probably be in the top priority. Although he was a little taken that was what came as the first. Regardless, he'd answer them in order. "I know you haven't been with us all that long," compared to a vast portion of his staff. "So I get that you might have missed the company wide memo when things changed around here. I'll give you the cliff notes version."

Once again his posture straightened, both hands and legs undressing and exuding as much confidence and towering stance as the CEO could shed when standing over anyone. It was a somewhat stupid question, and begged a deserving answer. "I'm hoping you knew this already but the name on this company is Kaiba. And since I'm already aware that you know my name is Seto Kaiba I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you might be able to put two and two together here, and come to the conclusion that I am this company. But just in case, I'll tell you what that means.

"I know everything about this company. There isn't much that gets past me. And anything that might can't hide from me for very long." And since that was answered, he moved on quickly.

"And as for your follow up questions, I realize the title 'top secret' slipped by your notice before but that stops right here. Any and all further discussion on your game is to be kept to a certain time and place. And this room at this moment doesn't qualify for either." This wasn't pointing out the fact that he'd mentioned it twice now in just a few minutes. Then again, his mention and Ryou's didn't exactly match in depth.

Since he'd done more than his share on the 'give' in this situation as far as he saw, considering his very affirmative answer that lie dormant within his chiding, he was ready to get back to the 'take'. And his stance shifted again to show as much, leaving him leaning forward in a similar position to when Ryou had first come across him. The only difference in this shift was that his chin lie supported on outstretched thumbs and clasped hands veiled his mouth. This ddidn't take away from the intensity in deep blue eyes as they took focus back on his guest after his self involved little rant.

"Back to my line of questioning," he tugged against that short rope he'd promised to keep him on previously. "I already have more than a few ideas in mind for the development team's consequence in this. But I'm curious what your take on the matter is when considering what I said before."

Ryou parted his lips and pointed up in the air, just about to mention that, knowing Kaiba knew everything didn't explain how he knew everything. He decided against it. The bout of courage that came from his excitement over the game wouldn't push him into insulting the CEO in such a way. It wasn't important anyway, Seto was continuing and Ryou eagerly hung on to each word. 'Top Secret' had his lips pursing together in a guilty expression, but it didn't last.

Your game.

Brown eyes blinked open wide and he questioned his own ears. Did Seto Kaiba really just call his top secret project his game? Ryou Bakura's game?! This time his swallow was to stop the excited 'Yes!' that wanted to be set free, but he kept his composure. For the most part. Pride sparkled in his eyes, and there was no stopping that. He was, however, taken a-back by the inquiry. "Ah, well," he stuttered a bit, trying to find words that worked. "I do not have the knowledge of the company as you do, Mr. Kaiba," he began. It was perhaps a little cheeky, but it wasn't meant to be. "I would have to know more, or rather... I would need to know why they were willing to-" He was about to say 'lie.' "Conceal certain truths. Their reasoning's could be sound, which would alter my opinions."

The somewhat amused sounding grunt wasn't riddled with any percieved annoyance over the cheeky comment he had to fire back. Actually, he was starting to notice that back bone his personnel file had deceivingly placed out of the equation. He should probably be more annoyed that the file had such a flaw in the first place. Then again, if he weren't kept guessing at least sometimes things would get far too boring around here.

And in the name of keeping things interesting Seto made a decision. His left hand unlaced from the other smoothly and turned its palm toward the white haired man. "Hand me your badge," he demanded cryptically. The change revealed that catty grin of his that had made his goon squad quake in virtual terror.

He wasn't shaking; though, he probably should have been. Instead he continued to look outright confused as he unclipped the badge from the inside of his uniform blazer. He caught his own eyes when he looked down at it, his photo casually smiling that lifeless smile on nearly every other badge in the company. Why did Kaiba want it? The first conclusion to jump to was to have it taken from him, but Seto Kaiba didn't misstep. He wouldn't have called it his game if he planned to take his job away. Not to mention he knew too much to simply be 'set free.' Kaiba didn't leave loose ends either.

Realizing he'd been standing and staring at the badge for a full ten seconds, Ryou nearly jumped and jolted to the desk. He managed a brisk walk across the room. Even sitting down the man was an imposing figure; but despite the intimidation factor, Ryou reached out to place the badge in the larger hand. The tips of his fingers just barely touched the heel of his palm, and he came to a strange realization. He had a vague memory of Joey saying the 'Kaiba's hands are as cold as a zombie's!' -or something of the sort- during duelist kingdom. But they seemed warm to him.

A short question hit his eyes what Ryou seemed to hesitate for a moment. With the sudden jump in his step however he recognized that he'd actually managed to distract himself over the original conclusion. Avoiding the slight tick of annoyance placed into his features Kaiba was quick to slip the badge from its clip and casually run it through the shredder before turning back to his computer.

The magnetic strips on the one he'd just tossed away were going to be useless to him soon emough. And with a few simple clicks and key strokes he made the change that ensured that. Sending the signal to print to one of the various small machines the levels of his desk held was just just as swift. And within a few moments Kaiba was standing as he pulled the newly printed badge out.

The badge he placed back on the clip looked practically identical. And it was a weird thing to give him pause but as he lifted his sight from the badge to the man he was shortly stricken with the vast difference pulling his hair back like that placed on his appearance. The only difference on the badge itself was that where there was a flat black printed letter 'E' previously, an intricately holofoiled 'A' took its place.

No one on the team he'd been working with in secret had anything more than a 'B' level clearance. Though Seto himself didn't have a badge clipped to his crisp pressed white suit. In fact, he'd never carried around one of those particular badges of his own. The movement around his desk to join him on the opposite side was fluid.

"Alright. I'm gonna make this quick. Ryou Bakura your moving up in the world. This change in position has a lot of perks I really don't have time to get into with you now. You can direct any questions you have about it to HR." He offered the badge with his left hand and extended his right to shake.

When the smaller landed in his own he circled long digits around it just a little stronger than necessary and offered a short warning. "You'd better not do anything stupid enough to mess up the chance you're being offered here. I don't take it lightly when I'm made to regret my decisions."

He hadn't been joking when he'd said he'd be moving things along quickly. He barely had enough time left in his free hour to deal with the next order of business. And since the pleasantries and pep talk were now concluded It was time to get that under way. "Now, by my count you've had your new title for about 47 seconds and I've yet to see the fruits of your labor."

Once again he moved back behind his desk as found his seat. "You can start by getting me coffee," he added shortly. "Your secratorial skills have recently been impressed upon me. So let's see how good you really are. As my secretary you have a higher clearance as you'll be dealing with a lot more sensitive information. Make no mistake here. This is nothing like the job you were just promoted from." He might not remember all that much about this guy, but he seemed to recall that he had an over abundance of ambition if nothing else.

The need to leave his office in order to oblige the order should leave just enough time for him to pull together the things he needed for his next task as well. "I don't really care how you decide to put it together. But I expect it to be on my desk within the next five minutes."

Last edited:
Crestfallen. That was the only way to describe the look on his face when his security card was casually tossed into the shredder. His life flashed before his eyes for several seconds as he listened to the metal grind away at the laminated card, but that face couldn't remain. Because Kaiba was still typing, and he hadn't told him to get lost. Actually, he heard a printer going and his heart rate picked up. He didn't dare hope for what he thought was happening. But he didn't need to.

Ryou stepped back from the desk as Seto stood and moved around it. His left hand took the offered card, and the holographic 'A' was reflected in his wide eyes. "Thank you sir," he stated in a rush, taking the man's hand in his own and returning the tight squeeze. He was stronger than he looked, and his own squeeze was enough to return a good portion of the other man's grip. "You won't, I promise." While the young albino looked meek in general, there was a determination in his eyes that contradicted it strongly.

"Right," he agreed with a firm nod. The card was clipped back inside his blazer, and the man lifted his right arm to pull back his sleeve and expose a watch. "Five minutes," he set the watch, gave one more thankful bow, then darted. He was careful about the office door, but once it was closed behind him Ryou was running faster than he had in a very long time. There was just one problem, he had no idea where to make any coffee on this level, he had to go down several stories, and the elevator would take way too long.

Ryou flipped out his phone and pressed a speed dial number as he hopped passed the stairs. Several groups of people were filing down them in the drill that had been ordered not too long ago. There was no way this would work! He'd never be back in five minutes at this rate. He paused to think.

"Hello?"

"April! Good, start the coffee pot. Fresh. Don't ask why."

The woman on the other end started to object.

"Trust me, you owe me this one. Please?"

"Yeah, alright."

Ryou hung up the phone and tucked it into his pocket. then looked at the people blocking the stairs. "This is a bad idea," he muttered to himself. "Such a bad idea!" And yet, Ryou hopped himself up onto the railing, and started running down. It honestly wasn't much different than some of the things Bakura had put him through. Besides, if he fell there were all sorts of people to help him. "'Scuse me, pardon me, I am so very sorry!"

This is stupid, you're going to die. You're going to kill yourself all over a cup of coffee!!

And Ryou faltered a few times, wobbling on the railing, but finally landing himself safely six floors down. Just as his team was opening the door. "Can't talk! Thanks April!"

The floor was nearly empty. Or at least, the portion he needed to be in. For that he was thankful, because he was able to get to the lounge, pour a cup of coffee -he even managed a bit of creamer and a lump of sugar- all in a little over three minutes. The lid was shoved on, and Ryou was running again.

Getting up the stairs was easier than getting down, but he did have to pass by his friends as they drudged up the stairs with nervous expression. "Excuse me, sorry," He muttered, skirting around and through them with practiced ease. Learning how to be invisible had its perks.

Just as his watch hit 4 minutes and 56 seconds, Ryou was knocking on Seto's door a little louder than he meant, but he was panting, a little shaken, and his knock was heavy handed. The coffee, however, hadn't lost a drop, and of that he was proud.

Kaiba wasn't paying much attention the the look on his face anymore. Although he might have gotten something out of it if he had been. But he was too focused on getting on with things in a timely manner to be willing to have too much fun. He did have a company to run. And he was already giving this peon a full hour of his very precious time.

His expression didn't change until the smaller male's back was turned. Curious cerulean eyes focused on the figure leaving his room. He couldn't exactly pander to his curiosity however. Other preparations needed to be made. And judging by his security team's most recent show of prowess, he needed to give them as much time as he could.

Lifting his left arm to his face and turning those sharp eyes down on it, he twisted the outer ring of his cuff link until he hit the security channel. But almost before he could even recognize he'd landed on the right one he was bombarded with frantic orders and panicked responses.

A heavily audible sigh ground from his chest as his free hand lifted to squeeze out a short massage to the bridge of his nose. He'd been sure that his previous orders were perfectly clear. And yet it sounded like those morons were doing the exact thing he'd been attempting to avoid by ordering the mission to be carried out that night.

He took a short breath. And then a longer one before opening his eyes and switching the Windows on his monitor. They weren't-- They were! Those idiots were running an evacuation drill on the entire building during peak business hours!

With a sharp grasp on the button embedded in his cuff link the CEO's voice boomed over the ramble of the others. He had priority over this line for a reason. "Attention thumbs tacks and paper weights!" The insult easily wasn't his best. It made some sense, but was over all confusing. This was something that happened when his level of frustration was nearing a boiling point. And it stopped every one of them in their tracks and silenced them. "What the Hell do you think you're doing?! Do you have any idea the setbacks you're causing by running this drill now?! You--!"

The snarled voice cut off as masterful eyes caught a glimpse of something on the screen. He paused to set back a camera view to watch his new assistant with a somewhat frantically calculating look as he paused at the door of the stairwell and ran in place for a moment before he seemed to make a connection on his phone.

Beryl eyes turned to his office door. The break room for the few grunts that roamed this floor was three doors down. Ryou had in fact passed it on his way to the stairwell. And it looked like instead of taking the time to find it he was going to make a break for more familiar hunting grounds. He was never going to make it!

Not a moment later than he'd thought as much this supposedly clumsy man was skirting down the banister and bypassing the bulk of traffic in the procces. Kaiba burst into amused laughter. This was ridiculous! Was his entire staff made up of lunatics and morons?! What was next?!

"Sir... Boss please." The semi-horrifyingly gleeful moment was pulled from his chest through a curious him as he was inturrupted. "Did you want us to terminate the excersize?"

"No." His voice had calmed considerbly, and his attention remained on the white haired phantom floating his way down through the masses as if he barely existed. "Finish the run and then make sure everyone returns to their duties as quickly as possible..." He'd nearly forgotten the reason he'd hailed the channel in the first place. "Oh. And Richards get ready, cause I'm about to give you an early chance to redeem yourself."

He'd watched Ryou's entire trek both down and back up to his office. At the same time the knock pounded out his voice carried with a crisp "Enter."

Kaiba was sitting tall again. Any sign of previous amusement had been wiped from his face cleanly and what remains was something much shorter in temper. His attention shifted to the side in the same way it had when he'd been brought before the president earlier on. Ryou would only make it half way to his desk before he'd decided he'd landed that look on him long enough and followed it with curt words.

"Let me impart some knowledge upon you that'd be in your best interest to soak up now. It's something anyone who lasts very long around here learns on day one."

It might not have seemed possible before it happened but azure eyes focused even more sharply on him. "When I say five minutes I mean two and a half." Well, not specifically, but it made his point. "Instead of running around like a madman and making yourself, and in turn me, look utterly foolish you might want to think before you act next time. And if you don't know the answer to something then ask."

Almost like a switch the chill in the air warmed back up a couple degrees as his gaze softened just slightly when turning down on his screen once again. "Now I have a meeting starting in a few minutes so you can join me on this side of the desk. And plan on sticking to my side like glue until I need something out of you. Got it?"

Taking one more hard breath to satiate his lungs, Ryou stood up straight and pushed open the door to the office. Now, he hadn't been expecting praise for his feat, but he hadn't realized he'd be scolded for it. Even as Seto stared him down, the white haired man continued to the desk to place the perfectly clean coffee cup on the desk. Away from anything important, of course. He could picture the steaming liquid falling straight into Kaiba's lap. Or worse, on his computer! He could also hear maniacal laughter in the back of his mind.

You're not there any more. You're not.

"I will be more punctual next time," he assured with a firm nod. Though, he couldn't help feeling a little slighted. There had been no way for him to win in this situation. Because of what ever the heck was going on in the building, there was no one to ask, and asking Kaiba probably would have ended in another lecture of some kind. But most of all, he run up and down six flights of stairs in five minutes without spilling a drop of coffee! But he said nothing about it. Instead he stepped around the desk as instructed.

"Excuse me but..." He paused. Questioning Kaiba wasn't wise, but he'd just been told to ask questions. "What am I meant to do? I feel more than a bit out of place." He was barely a secretary. "I am not sure how best to help you."

The bit of berating he'd had to offer had fallen away quickly enough. If he'd really been upset it wouldn't have ended there. In fact he'd been thoroughly entertained by the lengths his new assistant had gone to in order to complete his task. And while he wasn't willing to shine any light on the fact at the moment he was actually more than a little impressed. There was a vague pondering in the mix as to how he'd take it when he found out that the hoops he'd jumped through were completely unnecessary. Seto decided to keep that little gem for himself for the moment.

To top that off, there it was again. It was a quality he didn't see that much of. And it was one he tended to covet. The sure gaze and stern nod that were landed on the taller man through the words provided more difficulty than he'd like to admit in taming the curl they wanted to pull from his lips. But the stoic look persisted. Not for the pride he held in that poker face of his. But because it wasn't enough. Though honestly he hadn't realized the small task he'd assigned him would prove to be as difficult as it had been when he'd posed it.

Richards was waiting outside his office as he'd been instructed to. And before Ryou moved to follow his order and join him on his side of the desk the monitor was blanked to its home screen. And considering he had nothing to look over when he was addressed so awkwardly again Kaiba's attention turned upon the white haired man this time.

Further consideration of his slightly halted continuance took a moment, but was left for what it was. He'd only just told him precisely what he wanted him to do. So he saw no reason to to grace him with the answer all over again.

What he did focus on was the awkwardly spewed attempt to get his attention. And while he didn't see fit to explain his position on the matter in much depth he did give him an alternative. "I can tell you're having an issue with this on your own. So why don't you try calling me Seto," he offered simply. The offer rolled on smoothly as that sly grin of his slinked right back over his face and his tone shifted to match it. "After all, we are old friends." The addition was more than a little transparent. And that catty look only made it moreso. This was purposeful. He wasnt attempting to trick the small man.

But it didn't realy matter did it? Despite how well it might have come off as one, it was neither a question or request. It was expected.

It was a very good thing he hadn't been drinking anything, nor still holding that coffee; because anything in his mouth would have been spit out in a comical manner, and probably all over the computer screen. And anything in his hands would have been dropped to the floor... all over the computer tower. As it was, his dignity was left somewhat in tact, and Seto's computer was safe from harm. The only person he'd ever heard calling this man by his first name was Mokuba, and right now he'd been given permission to call the president and owner of Kaiba Corporations by his first name. Such a thing was unheard of and terribly offensive. He was so baffled he nearly missed the tricky add on.

'He's lying to you.'

Shut up! You're not real.

'I will always be with you.'

Ryou tensed and just mannaged to keep himself from shaking his head to be rid of a voice that was cast away a long time ago. Least it look like he was refusing the offer. Still, 'friends' was not a title he expected from Kaiba. It had to be some sort of trick, but refusing would be an offense like no other. "Thank you," was all he could manage at first; but, after a few seconds he added. "You may call me by my first name as well if you'd like Kai-... Seto." The word was strange on his tongue, but he found he kind of... liked it. He wanted to say it again, but refrained. Instead, the man stood a little straighter and looked at the door to keep his boss from seeing the happy expression on his face. Even if it were a farce, making a new friend was a wonderful feeling, and he'd cling to it for as long as it lasted.

Kaiba's attention was firmly placed on Ryou as he stumbled over his name. It was spouted nearly as awkwardly as any other greeting he'd attempted in getting his attention. What managed to surprise him was the fact that he actually didn't find it as bothersome as the others. It wasn't an effect he intended, but he decided not to search for a.complaint in it for the moment. They were running out of time as it was. And stopping to contemplate his name on the frail looking mouse's lips would only waste more.

Despite the mental decree he found himself entirely contradicting the needed change in phase. The instances he tended to hear his own name were when Mokuba was around and in formal greeting of all of it. When coupled with as often as he said it himself it might not be all that few and far between. But that wasn't necissarily the same. And with Mokuba tending to his own interests more often than not lately 'Mr. Kaiba' was virtually all he heard anymore.

Azure eyes hit the door to his office shortly so he didn't recognise the fact that Ryou had made a similar move. Although he didn't know if he could place what might be on his own face at the moment. It was a little surreal.

The entirely new awkwardness of the situation had him slapping down a comeback that was closer to his normal attitude than whatever else he was exuding at the moment. "Right. I'll get right to work memorizing it." He was perfectly delighted to notice that the chuckle that came with the comment should make it hard to decifer the level of sarcasm in it.

And he'd wasted more than enough time dealing with the awkward feeling so he was ready to move things along. Lifting his left hand he pressed the button engrained in his cuff link and spoke in to it. "All right Richards. Hurry and bring them in. I dont have all day for this."

No sooner had he smoothly barked the order the door to his office opened. In filed five people who looked every bit as worried as the white haired man had felt on his own invite up to the office. Of course, they were familiar. Four men and one woman from the larger group of the development team for Ryou's game came to a halt practically the moment they'd all fit themselves through the door.

"Oh. Ryou--" April's recognition of him hadn't been meant as an outburst and it showed by the quick catch and silent shushing of herself in the form of pressing her lips together tightly. Although her eyes did land on the coffee cup on the table and shift back up between the albino male and his towering counterpart who's features contrasted Ryou's in a way that was almost captivating when set beside each other.

The others tensed too, though none were aware that a game was already afoot even before Seto initially addressed them. He had no problem making it clear however. Instead of a greeting he dove straight in. "Oh good. Looks like we already have our first volunteer."

Without delving in further just yet the same hand he'd drawn to his face to speak to the security guard who'd gathered them all up lifted and held itself palm up in expectation. "Richards..."

The man stepped forward through the small crowd of them quickly and offered what he was seeking. Kaiba then took a moment to lie their badges out across the desk in front of him. After looking over them for a moment an memorizing the names of his game pieces he picked April's back up from the lot of them and kept it on hand as sharp eyes closed and he paused to contemplate the next move... Or at least paused long enough to seem like he was. He, in fact, was several steps ahead.

What he was actually doing was waiting; waiting to see if Ryou had been paying enough attention this morning to take on his role or not. His new assistant was just as clueless as the rest of them as to what was going on. And he had quite recently ordered that he ask questions when that was the case. Of course, if he didn't the CEO had another route to take. But as before, curiosity fueled his actions.

Despite the harshness of the return, Ryou was glad his boss didn't outright deny the use of his first name. In fact, it left him excited! Hearing his name spoken by all the people in the office was fantastic, he could only imagine how it would feel for Seto Kaiba to say it. How silly he must seem; fawning over something so simple. But after going years without hearing it once outside of his own mind left him hungry for the small amount of affection it brought. Ryou was smiling by the time the door opened again. A smile that fell when he watched his team walk in. And, if he wasn't mistaken, it really was his team now.

April called his name and stopped short. Ryou offered her a nervous gesture with his hand, but made no other move to greet them. Instead, he watched on in silence as Richards collected the security cards of all of his friends and presented them to the young CEO sitting beside him. The just as young secretary chewed on the inside of his cheek as the man looked over each badge, then picked up the card that belonged to one of his closer friends. April Showers. A woman who worked hard to get passed the teasing that her name brought about, even in her adult years. A woman who now looked whiter than his hair, and he could only imagine the sweaty palms and swollen throat; because he'd been in the same position not ten minutes ago.

Time ticked on. Each second felt like minutes, and eventually he simply couldn't stay quiet. Besides, he'd been told to ask questions, and if his assumptions about this team were correct, then he really did need to know what her fate was. "Seto?" He asked firmly, but carefully. Ryou was walking on eggshells and he knew it, but if he didn't test the waters then he was never going to get anywhere. A collective gasp filled the room, and Ryou was proud of himself for not flinching.

He'd thought there would be more of a question there, but the way it was said jumbled it all into his name pretty nicely. There hadn't necissarily been an expectation that he'd fall in line as easily as he had. But he had no qualm with how the small detail had gone at all.

And actually it produced the result he was looking for earlier on than he'd expected as well. The thoughtful expression Kaiba had fell away as he looked over the shocked faces Ryou had produced with a single word. Of course it had needed to be the right one.

Richards was no different though his reaction hadn't been fully audible. Standing on the opposite side of the desk his eyes were on Ryou. Although most of them were. But the outcome hadn't exactly made his decision easier. He might actually have to take a moment to decide which one he was--

"Rat!" The angrily spewed word cut off that thought quickly. So nevermind it anyway. "Ryou, you--" And sky blue eyes falling on the speaker cut him off just as quickly.

Seto was sure he knew almosy exactly what this guy was thinking. It had been the other reason he'd given the young man permission to use his name for now. He really hadn't needed to. But he did so like to make things more interesting.

His attention shifted over to Ryou and then back down to his desk as a short lived, but amused hum rolled from his chest. The noise indicated a few things on its own, but he'd made the point to look at him not only so he knew his question wasn't being ignore but so he knew it was about to be answered as well.

"Thank you for being my second volunteer Manning. For what, you ask? Well, I'm about to tell you." He picked out his badge from the others with his free hand and weighted it against the one in his orher. "But as you know time is money. I'm not going to spell it out for you so try and keep up."

The fact that this game had started the moment they've walked in should be obvious to the lot of them by now. If only from previous dealings with him. So he moved right along to passing out the prizes. "First place gets the trophy," he started as he lifted April's badge and pointed it toward Richards. And he continued when the man took it from him and turned back to the group.

"And I'm sure your dying to know what second place has landed you. Well..." He sat back now, and unclipped the hook from the badge. Thanks to his earlier show not a single person in the room saw it as an unfamiliar act now.

"Why?!" The question forced him to pause in turning toward the shredder. He'd more been expecting a complaint of unfairness. But questioning him so boldly was something no one tended to do. Too bad. With that kind of back bone he might have made a better keep than the girl for all he knew.

A smirk slid across his lips as he contemplated the answer. "Because I like her name." The ridiculous answer didn't help Mannings' mood. "And because second place is just a nice way of saying you lost. Since I don't really feel like having 'nice guy' printed on my own badge I guess that's just too bad for you."

The badge was slipped in and the shredder started. "And now that round one is over, Showers get back to work. You can start by helping Manning clean out his desk."

The man's anger permeated the room. And Richards didn't need the order to escort him, as well as the woman out. So his attention fell on Ryou all over again as he tapped his forfinger at his desk in front of the remaining badges to get his point across. "Now it's time for round two. And just so you know, this just became the time and place."

Ryou jerked at the sound of Harrison's voice. It hurt... The man was one of his friends. In fact, they all were, and that was why this whole fiasco caused a sharp pain in his chest that was all too familiar. Maybe he really did lose his only friend when Yugi banished Bakura. There was a burning in his eyes, and he shut them tightly to try and will it away. Tears clung to his eye lashes, but he managed to keep them from falling; because the pain was quickly turning into something else. "I am no-!" But Kaiba was talking, and he wouldn't interrupt his boss. Not even to defend himself.

A wave of relief washed over him and wiped away the majority of his anger. April was going to keep her job, and he was glad for that on many levels. Not only because they were friends, but because she was a valuable worker. She was smart, talented, and focused. Something he couldn't say for all of them.

He watched Harrison's badge drop into the shredder, and listened to the metal blades grind away at the laminated paper. Just a few minutes ago, Ryou would have actually tried to stop Seto from firing him, but not now. Not this time. Why protect someone who was so willing to turn on him. "I am not a rat," he stated firmly. "Seto Kaiba knows everything that happens in this building. He doesn't need me to find things out for him." He followed it up with a firm nod.

"Thank you, Seto. For letting April stay. If it weren't for her, we never would have gotten the holograms to work on our own." Which was good. Coming to Kaiba to make that work would have made them all look like idiots.

"April, before you go..."

The woman jumped out of her stupor. Her life had just flashed before her eyes the moment Mannings spoke out of turn, and was only now able to jump out of it. Not that she hadn't heard her boss, of course. She was willing to help the man beside her pack his things. "Y-yes?" She asked, clearing her throat and shaking her head slightly.

"Why didn't any of you mention me during the meeting?"

"We all had different reasons... I just didn't want you getting, well." She motioned to Harrison, who was still speechless and looking painfully at the shredder. Due to the contract he signed, he couldn't work for any competitor of Kaiba corp. His position as a game designer was practically over. "And some of us just didn't want to give you any credit," she added, careful not to add any specific names.

"Well..." Ryou paused, searching for the right words. He was hurt and angry, and he didn't want to make a fool of himself by causing some sort of scene. He took in a deep breath, forced away his tears and tried to make his voice as strong as possible. "That's not possible anymore; because now it's my game." And that was a strong leap of faith, if he'd heard Seto wrong, or if the CEO somehow misspoke, he would be in some serious trouble. "And we're going to work together like a real team. So no more lying, to me or Seto. Understand?" He was trembling, but so slightly that only Kaiba would be able to notice, and only if he cared enough to pay attention.

Said team was wide eyed. Not only was the information a shocker, but almost moreso was the power behind Ryou's voice. They'd never heard it before. The albino was always sweet and soft spoken, but not now. Now he sounded commanding, like he'd suddenly grown a backbone.

They all turned their attention to Kaiba, half expecting the poor kid to be fired on the spot for making such a bold claim.

He watched, patiently waiting for the conversation to conclude. He wasn't disappointed by it either. He'd given the mouse his chance to squeak but he'd certainly done more than that. Although judging by the slack jawed expression on his new peons he had his work cut out for him.

Ryou, or at least the air around him, looked like it was pulling away strong enough to strangle him out. He was shaking enough too. But his voice had obviously been heard. And despite a nervousness that was abundantly clear to Kaiba no else else seemed to catch it.

Then again, most of the eyes in the room were on him again. Not that it was a thing that could make him squirm. His enjoyment over the scene had left that smirk of his drawn across his lips. And it grew a little wider as he realized that if he didn't make that confirmation--or denial as it was obvious the remaining players were hoping for-- things probably wouldn't press on quickly enough.

Well, since they were all still in the room he might as well make that announcement and not leave and of them out. "What are you all staring at me for?" It was a loaded question. But he pressed on. "You didn't hear wrong."

He indicated the still only somewhat mousey man with a simple gesture. "Meet your new Chief of content design." Although that wasn't the role that turned Kaiba's project into Ryou's game. "Credit or no credit it stands to reason that without him this game wouldn't even be half finished, let alone the level it's made it to today. So say hello to your new Assistant Producer as well."

He was going to turn the floor back to Ryou in a moment. Without him this wouldn't be nearly as interesting. But one more push should keep things flowing. "And now that you know that both of these games are in his hands," that included the one that decided their future roles in this company "Let's touch back on that credit."

Richards was finishing ushering the first round winner and loser from the room, and again he looked over at the albino boy. "These three men were the main speakers at our meeting. Any one of them could have chosen to include you in their presentations. But it took all of them to decide not to put you on the map at all. Every single one of them is an asset to Kaiba Corperation, and you probably need them all to make your job working on the game a lot easier..." He thought about this a moment as he looked over the lot of the. Then decided, "You can keep one."

Last edited:
Pride. It wasn't something he felt very often. For years it was practically forbidden, and every time he drew close to it, Bakura was always there to snuff it out. Tiny little Ryou wasn't allowed to have that sort of power. But now it welled up inside him like a rolling tsunami, and he had to squash it down himself to avoid puffing out his chest with bravado. It did, however, give him the confidence to continue. Even when he was faced with a difficult decision. He knew these men. In fact he knew them very well. Brent was married with two kids, Jamison was a single father, and Barry may live alone with his dog, but he was a kindhearted man. Choosing between them was painful. They were his friends! They knew him, they called him Ryou, and losing any one of them meant losing a smiling face in the morning.

A frown pulled his lips and a knit formed between his eyebrows. The three men stared at him with sweat beading along their foreheads. He couldn't do it. He couldn't choose between not only his friends, but three of his best team members. "Seto," he started, the words falling from his lips before he could stop them. "After losing Harrison Mannings, firing two more doesn't seem like the best choice, for either of us." Ryou's lips pursed together for a few seconds before continuing. "Jamison," the man in the center, "has the fullest respect from the development team, to lose him would be losing the drive of many workers. Barry," the man on the far left, "Can write code faster than anyone else on the team, getting rid of him would push our deadline by not just days, but weeks. And Brent is incredibly creative, and has many interesting ideas that would make our game fun for players of all ages."

Ryou turned his full attention to Kaiba. "I believe the best course of action would be to keep all three on hand, but maybe cutting out some of their extra vacation days in order to ensure the 'nameless' game is not just ready on time, but absolute perfection. Which is what Kaiba Corp. is known for." It was a long shot, but if he could convince Seto with some very valid points, than maybe he could save the jobs of two of his closest friends.

"So you'll defend them, but not me!?" Harrison, who April had been carefully leading out of the room, whirled around in her hold and shoved her aside. Donald caught her as the jobless man stormed towards the desk. "After everything I've done for you?! You spent Christmas with me and my family. My children adore you, you've even joined my wife's book club, and you just stand there while I lose everything I've ever worked for?!" Ryou took a step back, but remained at Seto's side regardless. Though, he probably would have darted if it weren't for Donald.

Harrison barely managed to slam his hands down on the desk before Donald was on him. The larger man grabbed the trouble maker around the shoulders in a head lock to drag him away from the desk. "Stop embarrassing yourself before you end up locked in a jail cell. Let's go!" The security guard snapped in return, already dragging Harrison out of the room.

"You've ruined me Bakura! Do you hear me! I'll get you for this. I know where you live!"

Ryou flinched at the use of his last name, and could once again hear the long lost spirit's laughter.

After a few muffled words, a new security guard slipped into the room to take place at the door while Donald took care of things.

Chaos. It flew into the room in a manner of moments as the scene unfolded. But it started with his new assistant.

Granted, it took him a moment but he realized that Ryou was rallying for his men before those large brown eyes landed over on him. He wasn't amused. But he was curious. He hadn't exactly been letting Ryou slide on questioning him considered he'd told him to do as much previously. But this was a different format entirely. Still, he wanted to know what he had to say.

While his little speech didn't surprise him, what did was how close the newby's thoughts were tohis own. He hadjust made a point of practically telling him as much. At the same time his words weren't exactly being turned against him.

Okay. Maybe he was a little amused; at the kid's gall if nothing else.

But he wasn't given time to answer before some consequences drove that chaos home and had the one man who's position had been terminated lunging at the others' savior. That however wasnt what distracted him. As the small volcano in bis office blew its top the screen on his video phone flickered on.

Such scenes were neither uncommon or meant to be paid attention to. And the security guard, despite his short comings, would be able to deal with that matter. He was sure that was why the woman on the other line spoke the moment his attention slid over. "Mr. Kaiba your 9--er 10 o'clock is here." When the slightest cant hit his head the woman continued on nervously, stumbling over her words. "He uh... H-he asked me to let you know that he isn't pleased that you pushed him back."

"That's not what I said! Say it right. You tell him he better--"" Seto picked up the receiver and clapped it back down with a heavy chuckle.

Mannings was now on the other side of the door if not further for how quickly he liked things to be taken care of. "Alright. Looks like the timer just went off."

With a swift movement the badges were expertly gathered in his hand. Another flick of his wrist as he raised his arm as far as bent elbow on the table allowed had them presented toward Ryou between middle and forfinger. "You can keep the mutts for now," he added shortly. "Dont expect to get away with something like that again."

His attention turned on the three men who jumped despite their reprieve though he continued to address Ryou. "And I don't want to hear about any regrets you might have over this decision. Loyalty is rare, and they've proven how much they have to you already. So whatever happens because of this is on you now."

Although logically speaking this game had had plenty more effect than the immediately obvious. Even though the men had left him out previously and shown how backwards their sense of loyalty could be previously; they now knew that despite their incredible talents and how very inexpendable they had seen themselves previously because of that, they'd been sorely mistaken in their worth in the president's eyes. They were a great asset yes, but Seto's willingness to drop them as easily as they'd done to Ryou should prove to straighten them out some. The CEO had auickly, and quite effectively, shown them that despite how much his company may gain from having their talents focused on his own interests they certainly weren't important enough not to be willing to lose them over lack of loyalty. There was also the fact that like Harrison these men held a contract that prevented them from working for competitors. If the threat of their own end hadn't been enough, the sight of Harrison's should have helped boost their 'team spirit', as it were.

And then he addressed them. "Gentlemen. You can thank your painfully forgiving new boss later. For now, gather your badges. And get the Hell out of my office."

Last edited:
Kaiba seemed unfazed by Harrison's little fit, but Ryou wasn't. It had to be easier for him though, after all, Seto had a mansion of a home filled with security systems and guards... While he lived in a modest home without so much as a fence to protect him. Would Harrison really track him down? It wouldn't be hard, the man did know where he lived after all. He hadn't been lying about that. Ryou's worry, however, didn't have time to last. So, he turned his attention to the others in the room, relieved to know he would keep all three friends by his side. They all seemed quite flabbergasted that their 'new boss' was willing to stand up to the president of the company just to save their hides; but, they saved their thanks for later.

"April, I want you and Barry to work on the hologram program. I want them to be just as crisp as the Duel Disk System, Brent, Jamison, get to work with the rest of the team on the level development. There are too many glitches still in they system for my liking." They all nodded dumbly as left as quickly as they could without falling over each other.

Now (mostly) alone with Seto, he had the chance to think on the voice over the phone. It had been familiar, but he just couldn't place it. So, he decided to drop it for now. "I'm guessing people say that a lot?" He asked nervously as his eyes went from the monitor up to the man's deep blue eyes. "Do they really come after you?" The worry was clear in his voice, and it was written all over his features. Harrison may not be a monster truck of a man, but he was still much bigger than him... He found himself missing the benevolent spirit, but only for a second. After all, if that man came after the dark 'Bakura' then he'd be cast to the shadows, and he'd be left with the consequences.

Ryou offered orders and the rest of them left. So far it seemed he'd made a good choice for the most part. He waved off the security guard and he also exited the room. This left him alone in the room with the mouse. Sitting back in his seat once more his hands lifted in a quick and slight gesture of a shrug. "Probably more than I know." Well, maybe not since he made it a point to know just about everything. "Despite their short comings my security deals with most situation in a somewhat satifactory manner."

"If you'e worried about it don't be," he added shortly before muffled exclamations outside the office door had him sitting up in his chair again. "One of those perks I was talking about earlier includes your own detail."

"Out of my way!" It was still muffled, but the words were clear. And the CEO's expression grew the slightest bit tighter in turn.

"Besides. It's time to move on. We've got an appointment with my greatest opponent and we're running late." Which was something he didn't like to do on a normal basis anyway. But it was worse at the moment. If only for the fact that he couldn't stand it when he upset the teen making a scene outside his door.

Only a moment after he said as much the doors to his office flew open. And before they'd even cracked completely the much less muffled voice rang out grumpily. "Seto!"

Standing just outside the doors as they opened was the black haired boy. Mokuba had grown into his large eyes quite a bit. They were sharper like his older brothers, but much less stern. And puffy mane was mostly held in place by a ponytail at the base of his skull. The way his bangs hung made it easy to recognize him pretty quickly. Of course, the stance of hands on the hips of fitted jeans and t-shirt and puffy annoyance radiating across his face helped too.

He was probably about a head and a half shorter than Seto now; lean and just a little lanky. "Why the heck did you hang up on me? I was nice and didn't complain about giving you that whole hour too." He was about to complain further but paused as he noticed the white haired man beside his brother.

Mokuba squinted and his head tilted a little. It took him a moment of hard staring but recognition and a big smile crossed his face as he pointed at him lazily. "Oh hey! You're Bakura!" The comments were chuckled out. "I almost didn't recognize you with your hair like that..."

He turned his eyes back on Seto, a cheeky little grin crossing his face. "Where's Daniel?" The question almost wasn't one. Kaiba went through assistants faster than anything else.

"You tell me," Seto offered somewhat cheekily himself. "He knows how much I hate to be late. But he missed our flight in Hong Kong last week anyway. I haven't heard from him since." He was fine with the change of subject.

Back
Top Bottom