Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Salt and Sulfur: Chapter Two (Messeduprp and Skieth Takahata II)

Maria couldn't suppress a smile as Charlotte skipped away to the kitchen. She followed Charlotte into the kitchen and grabbed her guns. "Just keep your eyes sharp Charlotte. We aren't out of this yet. So long as we have each other's backs, we'll be alright.

Charlotte plopped down in the seat she used to take at the kitchen table, still a little amazed that she was back here at all. She unclasped Flopsy, setting him down to sit on top of the table. "I wonder where we should start." Charlotte mumbled to herself, trying to think about what the next step should be. Hunting Dahlia's associates had only gotten her so far, after all.

Maria sat across from Charlotte, gazing at her lover or a second before responding. "We should start with someone we know... The politician, the elf that we saved, she's still around the city. She tried suing Dahlia for kidnapping but nothing could be proven, so we can assume Dahlia has influence in the police."

She sighed and leaned back in the chair. "She may still have good information though. If Dahlia had her hostage, maybe she saw where some of her hideouts were."

Charlotte beamed at the suggestion. She'd been curious about how Tila Ferus had been fairing since their rescue of her. "Oh! The elf lady! It would be so cool to see her again!" She gave a small chuckle at Maria's observation. "I would've thought that them suspending you for looking into it at all would have been what gave that away." She grinned then. "So, where do we find her?"

Maria grinned at her lover, "sometimes I wonder who the real detective here is." She never told Charlotte that she had already been on probation due to her obsession with finding Charlotte back when she was a more dangerous arsonist.

"I've kept in touch with her. She's let me stay a few nights with her while I was combing the city trying to find you, and she's still very grateful to us for finding her, I think we'll be able to find her fairly easily. She should still be at her home. We'll need to move a bit stealthily, I'm supposed to be dead and you're... well, you're you. A wanted arsonist, and the police are pinning you as the cause of my death, so if we're seen we'll both be answering a lot of difficult questions."

Charlotte was clearly giddy with excitement over seeing the the Elven politician again. Enough to only barely register that Maria was trying to warn that they had to be careful in getting there. Her indicating that Charlotte was wanted earned a response of Charlotte sticking out her tongue. "Yeah, yeah. I know. They won't catch us." The conversation felt weirdly similar to another they'd had where Maria advocated for stealth and Charlotte insisting she could be quiet when she wanted to be.

Elizabeth frowned a bit and took Charlotte's hand, "listen. Charlotte. Please, just follow my lead here. Daliah has some hold on the police, I don't know how much. But... She knows that we're still alive. We were fighting her goons the other day. If she gets a hold of you, she'll kill you and... And I can't think about that."

She pressed her face into Charlotte's collar, a few tears sliding down her cheeks. "I already lost you once, I can't do it again Charlotte."

Charlotte felt her smile fall away some, at the sight of Maria's frown. She didn't like seeing Maria worried or scared. It was part of what motivated her to remain as confident as possible, even if it sometimes came off as reckless. She gently wrapped her arms around her when she heard her voice wavering, her eyes wide with worry. "What? No no no..." She shook her head quickly. "No tears! No crying!" She gently stroked Maria's hair, while she held her, still not sure how she could help her. "You're not going to lose me. Never ever." She took her lovers face in both of hands and brought her to look at her. She smiled brightly at her, even if it was a forced one for her benefit. She leaned in and kissed away her tears. "If it makes you feel better, we'll do it your way. I'll follow your lead."

Maria sniffled, but smiled anyway. Even if she was mildly insane and a wanted arsonist, Charlotte cared about at least one thing, and that was Maria. It touched her deeply, how much Charlotte seemed to care. Maria held one of Charlotte's hands and nodded, "thank you. I'm sorry about that, I just worry." She smiled, "but you're strong Charlotte. Now, we've got to go catch up with an old friend."

Charlotte grinned as Maria's smile returned, pleased that raising her spirits had been as simple as agreeing to keep a low profile. Her grin spread even further as she once more spoke of the elven politician. "I can't wait!" She was properly excited to see how the elven woman had been doing since the rescue. She hadn't seen her since instructing her to hide in the basement of the Marigold family's old home.

Maria was about to leave through the front door, but decided that might not be the best choice since she was technically dead. So, instead she crawled out of the window and onto the metal fire escape ladder, guiding Charlotte out with her. "Now remember. You're still wanted for a lot of arson, as well... My death, so we need to keep really low profile, so don't talk to anyone but me, don't do anything that will alert anyone and don't let anyone see Flopsy. We're going to the higher levels of the city, and security is tight up there."

Charlotte nodded at Maria's advice. "Don't worry~ I know how to keep a low profile!" Her lack of self awareness was palpable. "I'll be on my best behavior. Promise!" She held her hand up as if swearing an oath. She let her hair down from its telltale pigtails and stashed Flopsy underneath her coat. While not enough to totally disguise her, most humans thought all elves looked alike anyway. Without her pigtails or Flopsy, she could have been any red haired elf woman. She grinned again, eager to begin this new adventure.

Maria looked her over a few times, Charlotte was passable. But not perfect. "Um... Hold on for a moment." She grabbed a hairbrush and very quickly gave the redheaded anarchist a brushing. She stepped back and was surprised to see that Charlotte looked somewhat presentable. She certainly didn't look like "Charlotte" anymore.

She nodded to herself, "Okay. Yeah, this will work. You look... Different. We just wear hoods and barely anyone will notice us, fewer will care." She took Charlotte's hand, "Just don't do anything extravagant or someone might notice... Oh, and don't be too discreet either or someone will think we look suspicious... But don't try too hard to not be suspicious or—" She sighed, "You know what. Just follow my lead. We'll be fine."

Back
Top Bottom